Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

At the end of the day I'm glad I picked it up for 62 dollars. I think 77 after tax is highway robbery, and honestly not worth it. The controller has HD rumble (which hasn't impressed me thus far), and an amiibo reader, which people often point to these features as the reason behind the higher price tag. What they don't mention is the features the controller doesn't have, like a headphone jack, a touchpad, or pressure sensitive triggers. I'd honestly rather have all the features it doesn't have than to pay extra for the ones it does.
Don't forget about the other great feature of the DualShock4 controller: the abysmal battery life. Be careful what you wish for. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the amFilm tempered glass screen protector today. I have to say I am impressed on how it looks. Applying the screen protector was simple and no bubbles. I actually had one dust piece in there, but I was able to use the dust remover tape they provided to get rid of it. This is amazing because I always have some bubbles left whenever I do this. 

Got the amFilm tempered glass screen protector today. I have to say I am impressed on how it looks. Applying the screen protector was simple and no bubbles. I actually had one dust piece in there, but I was able to use the dust remover tape they provided to get rid of it. This is amazing because I always have some bubbles left whenever I do this.
mine arrived too.... 1st attempt was a disaster..... the top film didn't hold the glass at all, and in an attempt to fix the bubbles that formed, dog hair and dust magically appeared under it.

Attempt 2 was perfection.

UPDATE: Techmatte is awesome.... I got a direct email earlier today about my thoughts, and mentioned how it went (2nd attempt was perfect) and they want to send me another pack so I have a good spare. No other screen protector company has been that awesome!

Here's some screen grabs I took of all of the traditional tunic sets you can get in Zelda!

Amiibo sets:
LoZ
C6s_Jy_2_U0_AEnln_V_jpg_large.jpg

OoT
C6s_JN7_YU4_AASw_Qr_jpg_large.jpg

Wind Waker
C6s_Jac5_U0_AEq6xm_jpg_large.jpg

Twilight Princess
C6s_Jt_TWVAAA_w_q_jpg_large.jpg

In-Game:
Dark Link

C6s_Jg_UJV4_AAC_q6_jpg_large.jpg

BotW
C6s_J4hh_V4_AA_4_K6_jpg_large.jpg

Also this one which though not a tunic, but still cool! (amiibo)
C6s_Jl_8_Vs_AEYU93_jpg_large.jpg
Damn, that
Sheik
Link looks fucking badass. Can't wait to play with that tunic on.

The BotW one looks kinda funny, though, with the shorts under the tunic.

The 'used' pro controller came in from amazon warehouse deals. Was listed used like new, still factory sealed. I've heard several negative things about amazone warehousedeals, and their seller rating is pretty shit, but I figured I could always return it worst case. Came in wednesday shipped in a fuck ing bubble mailer :pray: fortunately the box was intact. The box was torn near the top at the hang tag about 3 inches, but everything was indeed sealed in new condition.

After several days with the controller I like it. It feels similar to the wiiu pro, but the dpad, triggers, and face buttons are all quite a bit larger, and feel better imo. The matte finish, and textured grips feel quite a bit nicer too. It should be obvious just from looking, but the controller is considerably more comfortable than the joycon/grip.

At the end of the day I'm glad I picked it up for 62 dollars. I think 77 after tax is highway robbery, and honestly not worth it. The controller has HD rumble (which hasn't impressed me thus far), and an amiibo reader, which people often point to these features as the reason behind the higher price tag. What they don't mention is the features the controller doesn't have, like a headphone jack, a touchpad, or pressure sensitive triggers. I'd honestly rather have all the features it doesn't have than to pay extra for the ones it does.
While I understand your point, I'm okay with paying $70 for the Pro controller just because of the battery life is so good. I love the DualShock 4, but you only get about 4 hours of charge with it, and that costs $60. The Xbox One controller is also awesome, but it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery pack. You need to buy the Play and Charge kit for that, which is $15. So in other words, $75 in total for the full-featured X1 controller. When you keep both things in mind, $70 for a controller with about 40 hours of battery life is actually not a bad deal.

I do agree though that Nintendo fucked up with a couple of things. Not having the headphone jack on it is pretty stupid, and a glaring oversight that they carried over from the Wii U Pro controller. I don't understand why Nintendo made the same mistake twice. It's honestly bonkers. And I agree that they should have made the triggers analog. That was also a really dumb move on their part.

As awesome as the controller is, the controller is held back by both things. But especially by not having analog triggers. It would have been the perfect controller if it had them. I really believe it would had been the best controller available if that was the case. Now instead it's just one of the best controller options, along with the DS4 and the X1 controller. But not the best as it could have been otherwise. #Sad!

While I understand your point, I'm okay with paying $70 for the Pro controller just because of the battery life is so good. I love the DualShock 4, but you only get about 4 hours of charge with it, and that costs $60. The Xbox One controller is also awesome, but it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery pack. You need to buy the Play and Charge kit for that, which is $15. So in other words, $75 in total for the full-featured X1 controller. When you keep both things in mind, $70 for a controller with about 40 hours of battery life is actually not a bad deal.

I do agree though that Nintendo fucked up with a couple of things. Not having the headphone jack on it is pretty stupid, and a glaring oversight that they carried over from the Wii U Pro controller. I don't understand why Nintendo made the same mistake twice. It's honestly bonkers. And I agree that they should have made the triggers analog. That was also a really dumb move on their part.

As awesome as the controller is, the controller is held back by both things. But especially by not having analog triggers. It would have been the perfect controller if it had them. I really believe it would had been the best controller available if that was the case. Now instead it's just one of the best controller options, along with the DS4 and the X1 controller. But not the best as it could have been otherwise. #Sad!
Your dualshock might be defective. I've played Horizon Zero Dawn for 5 hrs straight and DS still has 2 bars of charge.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your dualshock might be defective. I've played Horizon Zero Dawn for 5 hrs straight and DS still has 2 bars of charge.

giphy.gif
Yeah ok. Lol
I guess your price range would be good.... I know razer makes one that is designed for their ultrabook and other USB devices, but it's not cheap
https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-accessories/razer-power-bank

Look for something that supports USB PD (power delivery)

Yeah ok. Lol

Do have a new DS4? I heard that the new models have better battery life than the older ones. Still, I doubt what you're saying is true. That you played 5 hours and still have 2 bars left. That would mean the controller has about a 15 hour battery life. Doubt the new model's battery life is that good.

Do have a new DS4? I heard that the new models have better battery life than the older ones. Still, I doubt what you're saying is true. That you played 5 hours and still have 2 bars left. That would mean the controller has about a 15 hour battery life. Doubt the new model's battery life is that good.
Man I'm not gonna argue about a damn controller. Why would I lie to you? PlayStation ain't cutting me checks. Either you believe me or you don't. All I know is that there is no way you have a DS4 and it only last 4 hrs. Not my old ones or my new ones were that bad. Either way you justify buying the expensive ass Nintendo controller how you want it's your money, not mine. Have a good night.

Man I'm not gonna argue about a damn controller. Why would I lie to you? PlayStation ain't cutting me checks. Either you believe me or you don't. All I know is that there is no way you have a DS4 and it only last 4 hrs. Not my old ones or my new ones were that bad. Either way you justify buying the expensive ass Nintendo controller how you want it's your money, not mine. Have a good night.

That's about how long they last. Only a handful of hours. Everyone knows this. It's been one of the complaints about the DS4. Don't know where you've been if you haven't heard of this before. I'm also I'm not justifying shit. $70 isn't so bad when you compare battery life with other controllers that cost $60. You're just way too cheap and you want to complain about anything you can.

Btw, eat a Snickers. You get pissy when you're hungry.

If you aren't feeling the HD Rumble with the pro controller, try sticking one of the handles in an open orifice on your body that can be stimulated by the entire area at once until you notice it. 

That, or wait for a game that supports HD Rumble. Your call.

That's about how long they last. Only a handful of hours. Everyone knows this. It's been one of the complaints about the DS4. Don't know where you've been if you haven't heard of this before. I'm also I'm not justifying shit. $70 isn't so bad when you compare battery life with other controllers that cost $60. You're just way too cheap and you want to complain about anything you can.

Btw, eat a Snickers. You get pissy when you're hungry.
I have owned the original and the newer model that comes with the pro. I can confirm that you can get maybe 5-6 hours depending on your settings and the game you are playing. Games that have more rumble and take advantage of the speaker in the controller tend to lose battery life quicker in my experience. Most games I have gotten around the 4-5 mark because I lower my light bar brightness and audio on the controller some.

And i don't get why the whole argument came to be in the first place because one said for and then a battle over 1 whole damn hour? Lets all agree the battery is not that great in the controller when you can get 20+ hours on 2 aa batteries for a xbone controller or 30+ with the switch pro controller.

I have owned the original and the newer model that comes with the pro. I can confirm that you can get maybe 5-6 hours depending on your settings and the game you are playing. Games that have more rumble and take advantage of the speaker in the controller tend to lose battery life quicker in my experience. Most games I have gotten around the 4-5 mark because I lower my light bar brightness and audio on the controller some.

And i don't get why the whole argument came to be in the first place because one said for and then a battle over 1 whole damn hour? Lets all agree the battery is not that great in the controller when you can get 20+ hours on 2 aa batteries for a xbone controller or 30+ with the switch pro controller.
http://m.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/DualShock_4

"Many reviews note the Dualshock 4 has a battery life of roughly 7-8 hours."

This is why I'm saying he has a defective controller. When the PS4 came out the DS4 was widely tested and the concensus was that it had 7-8 hours on average or battery life.

Switch controller battery is supposedly 1333MhA or 33% bigger than the battery in the DS4.   But obviously doesn't fully explain the dramatic battery life between the two controllers.  30-40 hours compared to something closer to 6.  

I've read many times that the touchpad and light on the DS4 are battery life drainers, but...never saw any real data showing how bad.  I can't imagine this is a big issue otherwise Sony would have fixed this in their new controller version.  And Sony  lets you tone down the light but it amounts to a little gain in battery life if any.  

The  range of the controller can make a difference in battery life.  Maybe Nintendo goes for battery life instead of a 40 ft range. 

Or maybe Sony uses a more inefficient version of Blueooth.  I have read that the PS4 controller uses Bluetooth 2.1.  Maybe Nintendo is using BT 4.0 which is much more efficient.

This is why I'm saying he has a defective controller. When the PS4 came out the DS4 was widely tested and the concensus was that it had 7-8 hours on average or battery life.
And you just said you played a game that uses both rumble and speakers on the DS4 for 5 hours and still had 2/3 battery left. You're kinda proving yourself wrong here. I get about 6 hours on Horizon. I have 3 DS4s, and I really don't think all mine are defective.

I've read many times that the touchpad and light on the DS4 are battery life drainers, but...never saw any real data showing how bad. I can't imagine this is a big issue otherwise Sony would have fixed this in their new controller version. And Sony lets you tone down the light but it amounts to a little gain in battery life if any.

The range of the controller can make a difference in battery life. Maybe Nintendo goes for battery life instead of a 40 ft range.
It's likely all of the above. Typical LEDs will use up 5-10% of that battery alone. I don't have a clue how much power the touchpad uses.

P.S. It's mAh.

And you just said you played a game that uses both rumble and speakers on the DS4 for 5 hours and still had 2/3 battery left. You're kinda proving yourself wrong here. I get about 6 hours on Horizon. I have 3 DS4s, and I really don't think all mine are defective.
You understand what average means. If I play with the light dimmed I get 5 comfortably and still have battery to spare. You literally combined to separate statements that I wrote to make your point. Try harder. That's not the way shit works.

DS4 has terrible battery life compared to other controllers. I have 3. 1 OG, 1 MGSV, and 1 new one. They all have the same meh battery life.

Moving back to switch. Anyone here get the hori playstand? For the price (assuming it wasn't backordered) it seems a lot better than the kickstand. Any thoughts?

Been gone I guess since 3/8 or 9. I see we r stick discussing the controllers.
I slimed thru so of the menu pages and hope I'm not repeating.

I got the USB c/m-c/f. At first I didn't think u could put I could put the female side into the base, bc only a nub of the male c stuck out. It turns out part of base is spring loaded and when pushed down exposes the full male connector. I connected the cable up to base and console with no problems. The unit went into TV mode no problem and on my Samsung 1080 hd TV it looked great, Zelda that is.

I read on another site that one person had a unit for himself and one for his daughter. He stated that it appears the aligning rails on inside of base have varying gap distances. On his the rails rub against the console screen, thus scratching it. While on his daughters there is a small gap and thus the rails don't rub and the screen doesn't get scratched.

I didn't want to talk about this in previous post, since subject is different.

How sure r we that Nintendo is putting out two different types of screens, like on 3ds xl.

I've looked at 4 of the five units we have, family and friends, and on my grey one it is the whitest, and all the neon ones r only slightly yellowish. Couldn't play the Zelda side by side, but I didn't notice any difference in the quality.

I search the web for telling differences between switch screens, etc, and the only thing that pops up is the post posted hear last week of the guy and his girlfriend comparing the screens. With hers being exceptionally much more yellow. The difference in our units were nowhere near the difference between the guy and his girlfriends one.
Couldn't the yellowish of her screen just be a defect in the screen.

All of the other stuff that pops up out of search is just specs and review of screen, with no reference to two qualities of screens.

The reason I'm concerned is bc I now have a neon unit I got at BB that no one wants. I would like to keep that and return the grey. Since GameStop puts the serial number on receipt, I'm assuming I have to return that specific console, and the grey one seems to be whitest one. Swapping out consoles and serial number packing would not work.

The Binding of Issac showed up at my store today. Only 2 of the 30 copies didn't have the "bonus inside" sticker on the front. Every copy was shrinkwrapped so maybe they just mis-stickered those two.

Soooo was that instock alert at Walmart for real or not? Now my high school bud wants to return his grey and get a neon. 

Idk whether its a good idea to tell him there may have been a Walmart restock for ~5 min lol

I read on another site that one person had a unit for himself and one for his daughter. He stated that it appears the aligning rails on inside of base have varying gap distances. On his the rails rub against the console screen, thus scratching it. While on his daughters there is a small gap and thus the rails don't rub and the screen doesn't get scratched.
Yeah problems happen. They shipped over a million of these out already. The first off the assembly line too. A 1% defect rate would mean 10,000 problems and 10,000 posts from this first batch of Switch owners. If you read 30 of those a day for a year then you would get through all those initial posts. :)

I can't vouch for the dock not scratching the screen in the case of some outlier/defect. But as designed it really can't scratch the screen. At worst it could cause some minor wear on the bezel surface over time.

Definitely contact Nintendo if you have a problem.

Have him sell the grey joycons and buy the neon ones.
That's what I said. But tbh, he doesn't do the selling thing very often and thus isn't comfortable with it.

Btw, walmart did in fact honor my "tax-free" instore pickup order for a Grey Switch. The order went through, and there was no secondary charge. Go Walmart

Yeah problems happen. They shipped over a million of these out already. The first off the assembly line too. A 1% defect rate would mean 10,000 problems and 10,000 posts from this first batch of Switch owners. If you read 30 of those a day for a year then you would get through all those initial posts. :)

I can't vouch for the dock not scratching the screen in the case of some outlier/defect. But as designed it really can't scratch the screen. At worst it could cause some minor wear on the bezel surface over time.

Definitely contact Nintendo if you have a problem.
While I don't doubt the possibility of the dock scratching the screen, it does seem weird that a few of the pics I have seen show horizontal scratches while others show scratches that are criss-crossing.... Don't know if sites jumping on the issue are just using the 1st scratched screen they found in a google search and it has nothing to do with the dock, people with scratched screens are being REALLY rough with their units, or there are Switch gremlins being jerks. I don't know if it's just me, but wouldn't the dock scratch the unit vertically? Horizontal or criss-cross scratch patterns would mean that someone is not placing the unit in straight. Also, I purposely push the system towards the back , as to not allow the screen to touch the dock. not even a single scuff on my unit and I just placed a tempered glass protecter yesterday to be on the safe side.

mine arrived too.... 1st attempt was a disaster..... the top film didn't hold the glass at all, and in an attempt to fix the bubbles that formed, dog hair and dust magically appeared under it.

Attempt 2 was perfection.

UPDATE: Techmatte is awesome.... I got a direct email earlier today about my thoughts, and mentioned how it went (2nd attempt was perfect) and they want to send me another pack so I have a good spare. No other screen protector company has been that awesome!
This was exactly my experience with it. I put the first protector on but had some dirt, but when I lifted it to fix I messed up the corner so I just removed it, cleaned the screen again, and put the second one on perfectly. It's pretty great, I like the way the touchscreen feels compared to other systems with plastic screen protectors and it doesn't leave nearly as many thumbprints.

While I don't doubt the possibility of the dock scratching the screen, it does seem weird that a few of the pics I have seen show horizontal scratches while others show scratches that are criss-crossing.... Don't know if sites jumping on the issue are just using the 1st scratched screen they found in a google search and it has nothing to do with the dock, people with scratched screens are being REALLY rough with their units, or there are Switch gremlins being jerks. I don't know if it's just me, but wouldn't the dock scratch the unit vertically? Horizontal or criss-cross scratch patterns would mean that someone is not placing the unit in straight. Also, I purposely push the system towards the back , as to not allow the screen to touch the dock. not even a single scuff on my unit and I just placed a tempered glass protecter yesterday to be on the safe side.
Well if you take off your joycons and try to saw the dock in 2 with the Switch then you could get scratches on your screen.

Also some enterprising person could have bought a million screen savers from China to match the Switch's dimensions and needed to get get customers interested in them.

Been looking for a pro controller for a month now, I've seen it in stock at GameStop and Amazon three different times but my credit between both were in the wrong places. Finally landed a order for prime now in the morning. Can't wait Zelda to play Zelda with the pro controller.

Been looking for a pro controller for a month now, I've seen it in stock at GameStop and Amazon three different times but my credit between both were in the wrong places. Finally landed a order for prime now in the morning. Can't wait Zelda to play Zelda with the pro controller.
Now you're playing with power

Yo dawg, I heard you like Zelda...

https://youtu.be/LJN7xNrTLrU

It's a too much of a work around for me, but if any of you are interested, now you have the option to view pr0n on the Switch.

Wow. REALLY cool 3-part series from Nintendo about the development of Zelda. Definite much watch.

Story and Characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CsGbtifZI

"The Beginning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30jGWna4-Ns

Open-Air Concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMGrmf4xaY

https://youtu.be/LJN7xNrTLrU

It's a too much of a work around for me, but if any of you are interested, now you have the option to view pr0n on the Switch.
Don't get why people even bother.... it's a simple proxy redirect. It only works at home, or if your friend has a proxy set up as well. Then again, I do have a small army of devices with browsers available that don't require me adding a proxy server at home....

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on Dragon Quest heroes I & II?!? I know it's physical release is in Japan only, but I can only find copyies of it on eBay and they are all from Scalp City USA. :( wayyy too expensive!

Just trying to get a copy of it as close to MSRP as possible, any ideas?

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on Dragon Quest heroes I & II?!? I know it's physical release is in Japan only, but I can only find copyies of it on eBay and they are all from Scalp City USA. :( wayyy too expensive!

Just trying to get a copy of it as close to MSRP as possible, any ideas?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B01N242UN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&qid=1489694687&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dragon+quest+switch&dpPl=1&dpID=61BiWn9E2hL&ref=plSrch

Japanese release prices are usually much higher than that in the US. But that's sold directly from amazon Japan. Still looking at $66 plus shipping.

Yeah, if you want to do some Cheap-Ass style importing, you'll probably need to wait a little bit. Intermediary companies usually pick up the slack at some point, transporting over more bulk shipments of specialty items so that the shipping costs aren't so high. But this doesn't always happen quickly, especially if supply is constrained in the original territory. (as is often the case near launch)

The good news is that Japan's after market for older video games is thriving, so there should be plenty of long-term supply for a lot of these games for importing down the line. A little patience will likely provide whatever import title you want for a much more reasonable price.

Just got another delay notification from Best Buy for the JoyCon charging dock. Now it's showing a 4/23 release.

I'd cancel but it would probably wipe out the Visa Checkout promo savings and only refund me $5, so might as well wait it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back