NIS PSP lineup $4.99-$14.99 on PSN Store for 1 week starting Oct. 1

MSUHitman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
NIS is celebrating the release of the PSP Go, and try to stir up some PSP sales, by putting their digital versions of games for the PSP on sale for 1 week starting with the Oct. 1 PSN Store update. The following games will be on sale for 1 week on the PSN Store for $4.99-$9.99:

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light ($5)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness ($15)
Dragoneer’s Aria ($15)
Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? ($10)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance ($15)
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? ($10)

Of course the retail versions of these games usually come with a soundtrack or other goodies, but many of them are still being sold at full price several months after release, if you can find them. If you're just wanting the game without the extras, these are some incredible prices.

http://www.destructoid.com/nis-releasing-discount-psp-games-on-psn-tomorrow-150535.phtml

Edit: NIS America made a goof up on the original post on the PlayStation Blog and their sale prices are $5-$15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm pretty bummed that Disgaea is $14.99 instead of $9.99 but I'm still gonna get it cause that's still a great price for the game. I can't wait to play Prinny tonight though. That was one of the main reasons I bought a PSP and I was just waiting until it finally went on to the PSN.

[quote name='argyle']Well, as others have mentioned the load times on the MK umd supposedly make it nearly unplayable. I'd either go with the download or just get it for the ps2 (which is what I did). It's a great game tho, and worth the $15 IMO.

Looks like it's Prinny and Droplitz for me...maybe one of the $5 NIS games if the missus wants one.[/QUOTE]

I picked up droplitz and I love it so far. Played it for about 30 mins and got a couple trophies. Its definitely worth $5.

I'll probably be picking up the $5 NIS JRPG. The reviews weren't great, but I don't always agree with reviews, plus, its only $5. I've spent $5 on worse before...

Anyone know if these require 6.00+ firmware? I'm running 5.03 M33 CFW and refuse to update, since then I couldn't use a controller on the PSP with irShell.

Now that I know the go natively supports a PS3 controller, kind of kicking myself for not waiting. =\

[quote name='Logain8955']Anyone know if these require 6.00+ firmware? I'm running 5.03 M33 CFW and refuse to update, since then I couldn't use a controller on the PSP with irShell.

Now that I know the go natively supports a PS3 controller, kind of kicking myself for not waiting. =\[/QUOTE]

Nothing requires the 6.0 firmware yet that I'm aware of as Persona has 5.X on its disk and that just came out two weeks ago.

PRINNY!......I dont know how I shrugged this one off at release, bought it when i got home last night and can't stop playing! $9.99?! Im eyeing BADMAN as well, but the reviews are IFFY at best, any opinions to push me over the edge?............
THANKS for the post guys!
PS~ Works great on on Antique PSP1001 w/ a 2gb stick!...WOOOHOOOO!

[quote name='TomJones4']Disgaea 2 I think needs 6.0, and so does the peace walker demo.[/QUOTE]

Disgaea 2 comes with 5.5 on disc, so I believe that is all it needs. I think it is just the peacewalker demo at this point. I know on PS3 in order to connect to the store, youd need the latest firmware, so it may be similar with PSP. Though, I was able to pick up some of these yesterday by installing via the PS3 and I didnt need to upgrade, so if youre set against updating you could always take that route.

[quote name='lucid734']Im eyeing BADMAN as well, but the reviews are IFFY at best, any opinions to push me over the edge?............
[/QUOTE]

The Badman demo is available so you might want to give that a try first. It is a really good game if you are a fan of games like SimCity, where it is a strategy game but you cant control every aspect of th strategy (as in a traditional RTS like Command and Conquer). However, I personally plan on holding off, because it has a superior sequel, which introduces in-between level gamesaves. As someone who gets frustrated easily, I just dont think I could handle getting to the third or fourth level and then having to repeat the whole process because of a simple mistake. Then again, if youre happy with Prinny, it sounds like you may be up to the challenge...

[quote name='lucid734']PRINNY!......I dont know how I shrugged this one off at release, bought it when i got home last night and can't stop playing! $9.99?! Im eyeing BADMAN as well, but the reviews are IFFY at best, any opinions to push me over the edge?............
THANKS for the post guys!
PS~ Works great on on Antique PSP1001 w/ a 2gb stick!...WOOOHOOOO![/QUOTE]

badman has a demo, it's uniqueness is a particular taste

half-minute hero demo requires 5.55 fw, do the psp mini games require 6.00?

[quote name='charlescheese']Ah damn, I would have bought Disgaea at $10, but $15 is just too rich for my blood.[/QUOTE]

You're nuts.

$50 would be a bargain for Disgaea (yes, that's MORE than MSRP). If you like tactical RPGs at all, Disgaea is as good as they come, and you may well get HUNDREDS of hours of play out of it. I barely have time for my console games and yet I've played Disgaea for ~150 hours...and I'm not finished. You will not see a better value for your gaming dollar.

$15 is an absolute steal for Disgaea. Probably the best deal on PSN, bar none. Buy it already!

Prinny would have been more fun if I could have dialed down the difficulty a bit. That game is so fucking frustrating. The stiff controls don't really help, either.

[quote name='bmachine']Prinny would have been more fun if I could have dialed down the difficulty a bit. That game is so fucking frustrating. The stiff controls don't really help, either.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I am on the fence about the purchase.

Sure, $10 for the game is a steal, but the real cost in buying Prinny comes with the $160 Id end up paying for a new PSP when I smash my current one out of frustration...

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Thats why I am on the fence about the purchase.

Sure, $10 for the game is a steal, but the real cost in buying Prinny comes with the $160 Id end up paying for a new PSP when I smash my current one out of frustration...[/QUOTE]

Ha! Seriously. I like a challenge in games but I don't process bullshit frustration well. I had to bail on Prinny because I didn't want to smash my PSP.

[quote name='yyr']You're nuts.

$50 would be a bargain for Disgaea (yes, that's MORE than MSRP). If you like tactical RPGs at all, Disgaea is as good as they come, and you may well get HUNDREDS of hours of play out of it. I barely have time for my console games and yet I've played Disgaea for ~150 hours...and I'm not finished. You will not see a better value for your gaming dollar.

$15 is an absolute steal for Disgaea. Probably the best deal on PSN, bar none. Buy it already![/QUOTE]

You are SO RIGHT, my friend. Admittedly, Disgaea DS was my first ever foray into the series, and I totally fell in love with it. Like, head-over-heels, addicted in love.

It's rare when a game truly does offer you limitless replayability, yet continues to be as fun the first battle you fight all the way to the deepest depths of the Item Worlds. I have spent countless hours fighting in the Item Worlds, improving my weapons, getting incredible loot, leveling up my characters, resurrecting them into better characters, linking the characters to others to learn new skills, bribing officials to get game-changing declarations passed, exploding Geo Panels domino-style, throwing stacks of teammates, uniting attacks, and on and on and on and on.

The best part about Disgaea is that you aren't really bombarded with most of its depth up front. That is, you're not given some kind of uber-fancy battle system tied to a weapon/esper/gem weapon upgrade and magic school dating simulation all in the first 10 minutes of the game. Instead, you're pretty much eased into things, with the Item World, Senators, Geo Panels, and all the other things that make it great introduced gradually.

There's so much more to say about Disgaea, but take it from a guy who is picky about SRPGs (only because I'm a pea-brain): Disgaea is well worth the $15, and I personally would have bought the game much sooner at a higher price had I known how truly well-done and fun it is. Anyone who's on the fence based on the current sale price (which in my opinion is GREAT) or even the gameplay shouldn't be.

[quote name='bmachine']Ha! Seriously. I like a challenge in games but I don't process bullshit frustration well. I had to bail on Prinny because I didn't want to smash my PSP.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Prinny is truly and completely frustrating... IF you play on the hard difficulty, "Hell's Finest."

The normal difficulty lets you take 3 hits...then a fourth will kill you. You'll still die some cheap deaths due to falling but it's nothing that a little memorization and good timing won't fix.

Hell's Finest is quite simply this: one touch of anything and you're dead. I actually played through most of the game on that, because I figured that was the way it was meant to be played. It was quite frustrating at several parts, but finally getting past those parts was pretty satisfying. Eventually I reached the 8th level, the one after Chefbot-9000 (not a typo) and it was virtually impossible...spent an hour on it and barely got anywhere...that was when I switched down to Normal difficulty. I was through that level 5 minutes later.

So yeah... on Normal it's not a huge deal, it just takes a little bit of persistence and patience. Hell's Finest difficulty, though, makes it one of the most difficult games you'll ever play. You get both experiences when you buy the game.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase'] I know on PS3 in order to connect to the store, youd need the latest firmware, so it may be similar with PSP. Though, I was able to pick up some of these yesterday by installing via the PS3 and I didnt need to upgrade, so if youre set against updating you could always take that route.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I got Patapon 2 on there. I can run 5.50 required stuff, 5.55 doesn't work. Probably just gonna pass and hope that 6.00 M33 or GEN comes out soon. Thanks.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Someone buy Mana Khemia In the next day or so and let us know if it's actually playable. The reviews for the UMD version are so bad that the game sounds broken. Being on flash should be faster but I'd like to hear someones experience of how the downloadable version plays.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I got it. It's definitely playable, although you see a loading screen blink on and off before battle, which is a bit annoying. The "jump start" feature doesn't help at all (I was hoping it would maybe at least turn off the loading screen for wasting my card space.)

That said, it's definitely playable. And actually, they fixed one slowdown in the item list, it looks like (from the PS2 version, which I played also.)

If you have a PS2, and don't necessarily prefer the PSP, I would get the PS2 version, which can be had new for a few more dollars from plenty of places, shipped.

It's really (imho) a great game, and worth $15 for sure.

-[Unknown]

I've been playing prinny for a little, and being unable to finesse the jumping is annoying. It artificially increases difficulty and creates frustration whenever there are moving platforms and a misjump equals death.

[quote name='darknight88']That guy is so wrong on so many levels. A 16GB Pro Duo for $30....LOL "Genuine" no less. GTFO with your crap.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if your saying that about him or me in your previous comment but I can say I have seen 16GB pro duos at 40 dollars at frys. I think its 50 right now could be wrong....

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Disgaea 2 comes with 5.5 on disc, so I believe that is all it needs. I think it is just the peacewalker demo at this point. I know on PS3 in order to connect to the store, youd need the latest firmware, so it may be similar with PSP. Though, I was able to pick up some of these yesterday by installing via the PS3 and I didnt need to upgrade, so if youre set against updating you could always take that route.
[/QUOTE]
Just chipping in here, all you need is 5.51 for Peace Walker...

[quote name='NeoGutsman']You are SO RIGHT, my friend. Admittedly, Disgaea DS was my first ever foray into the series, and I totally fell in love with it. Like, head-over-heels, addicted in love.

It's rare when a game truly does offer you limitless replayability, yet continues to be as fun the first battle you fight all the way to the deepest depths of the Item Worlds. I have spent countless hours fighting in the Item Worlds, improving my weapons, getting incredible loot, leveling up my characters, resurrecting them into better characters, linking the characters to others to learn new skills, bribing officials to get game-changing declarations passed, exploding Geo Panels domino-style, throwing stacks of teammates, uniting attacks, and on and on and on and on.

The best part about Disgaea is that you aren't really bombarded with most of its depth up front. That is, you're not given some kind of uber-fancy battle system tied to a weapon/esper/gem weapon upgrade and magic school dating simulation all in the first 10 minutes of the game. Instead, you're pretty much eased into things, with the Item World, Senators, Geo Panels, and all the other things that make it great introduced gradually.

There's so much more to say about Disgaea, but take it from a guy who is picky about SRPGs (only because I'm a pea-brain): Disgaea is well worth the $15, and I personally would have bought the game much sooner at a higher price had I known how truly well-done and fun it is. Anyone who's on the fence based on the current sale price (which in my opinion is GREAT) or even the gameplay shouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I was on the fence, but that helped me decide. Gracias.

Purchased FFVII and Disgaea last night through the store via PS3 and uploaded them to the PSP this morning. I think the download took somewhere around 3-4 hours (2.5GB). I know Sony wants to push digital distribution, but how long will it take a PSPgo to download Disgaea under normal conditions?

When did you start your download? The PSN was down for a couple of hours last night. (11 p.m.-1 a.m. central for me.)

Still it's well documented that PSN downloads are MUCH slower than 360 downloads. If I ever want to download stuff (usually after the store updates on Thursday's) I always queue it up then pause everything and have it download while I'm sleeping.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Purchased FFVII and Disgaea last night through the store via PS3 and uploaded them to the PSP this morning. I think the download took somewhere around 3-4 hours (2.5GB). I know Sony wants to push digital distribution, but how long will it take a PSPgo to download Disgaea under normal conditions?[/QUOTE]

A lot longer than it takes your PS3 to download it, since the PSPGo is capped at 11Mbps. Also if you download through the PSPGo you can't do anything else while it is getting the file(s). In addition to that if the PSPGo loses the connection you have to start the download over again.

[quote name='ShadowX']Just picked up the Prinny game for $9.99. Totally worth the cost![/QUOTE]

Same here. $10 for Prinny is great.

[quote name='progman3']Same here. $10 for Prinny is great.[/QUOTE]

I hear Prinny is ridiculously difficult. Is that true or exaggerated?

[quote name='vherub']I've been playing prinny for a little, and being unable to finesse the jumping is annoying. It artificially increases difficulty and creates frustration whenever there are moving platforms and a misjump equals death.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just something you have to get used to. I need to stop double jumping cause in every game that has had double jumping before, I've always used it everytime I jump. However, since you can't really adjust where you are jumping, it's helpful to keep that second jump just in case.

Prinny is definitely not for the casual "I want the game to play itself for me because that means fun" crow.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Purchased FFVII and Disgaea last night through the store via PS3 and uploaded them to the PSP this morning. I think the download took somewhere around 3-4 hours (2.5GB). I know Sony wants to push digital distribution, but how long will it take a PSPgo to download Disgaea under normal conditions?[/QUOTE]
That really sucks. I can download 2 gb in a little over an hour.

PSN is fast as long as you have fast cable internet. I can DL a 2GB file in around 20 or less minutes.(I get around 1/1.5MB per second) Thats how roughly Qore takes for me. Obviously with all the traffic PSN is getting due to PSPgo, its suffering trafic speed for some but not all. If you are getting PSP games of PSN, I'd suggest through PS3 or MediaGo on PC. Dont do it via PSP only for the smaller games.

I have Disgaea on PS2 but never got around to playing it and I figure having a portable version will be much more accessible. So now I've been debating between the DS and PSP versions, but I'm leaning more toward the PSP even though I find myself carrying the DS more often. I just need to get over not having a physical copy because $15 will probably be the best price I can find for it.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Prinny is definitely not for the casual "I want the game to play itself for me because that means fun" crow.[/QUOTE]

Would have to agree there, unless all you wanted to play is the tutorials! :)

[quote name='Fatbot3']I hear Prinny is ridiculously difficult. Is that true or exaggerated?[/QUOTE]

In my limited time with it, I would say it's not quite Ninja Gaiden hard on standard difficutly, and "I'm going to break my PSP!" on the hard mode. It's much more entertaining than any of the Ghosts N Ghouls series of games. The voice acting is HILARIOUS.

I'm glad this was only $10 though as I can't justify paying $40 for this, even with the soundtrack that comes with the physical version.

I also broke down and got Disgaea and Mana Khemia. I've only got 1 GB left on my 4 GB stick. I hope transfering to a different stick isn't difficult if I ever get a new one.

Prinny is well done and is $10 well spent, but it often makes me want to break my psp. Some boss fights in particular. (Cat/fox lady, I'm looking at you)

Yeah Prinny can be extremely brutal. Use the double jump as a way to stop jumping in a particular direction. You can't fine-tune your jumps like, say, Mario, so the only way to stop jumping is to body slam down into position.

Definitely not a game for the faint of heart....

I wanted to get Prinny, but I never got around to it, but for $10 how could I refuse? Thanks for the info Dood!

[quote name='rperez1025']I have Disgaea on PS2 but never got around to playing it and I figure having a portable version will be much more accessible. So now I've been debating between the DS and PSP versions, but I'm leaning more toward the PSP even though I find myself carrying the DS more often. I just need to get over not having a physical copy because $15 will probably be the best price I can find for it.[/QUOTE]

My personal take on it is to recommend that you get the DS version. Yes, it's missing most of the voiceovers and yes, it's not quite as colorful as the other versions. However, I still think the storyline shines through, and the presentation is still fun on the DS/DSi screen. What you will get in the DS version is what I personally found to be beyond useful: a full map view on the top screen. I can't tell you how handy it's been to have a second screen for the map in this game. It's made lining up throws, planning steps, viewing area of effect distances and ranges, and overall navigation much easier to do (not that the PSP or PS2 versions were necessarily hard in this regard of course).

You can also unlock a secret character as well as Prinny Commentary. There's a whole thread about this on the Disgaea DS GameFAQs message board, so definitely scope it our if you're on the fence.

Overall, you really can't go wrong either way. Good luck and have fun!

Hm... I've got a question regarding firmware. I normally have my PSP set to Custom Firmware 5.50, but with the recent release of Disgaea 2, I've found a way to switch to OFW 5.55 and CFW 5.50 freely. So, if I download Prinny from PSN to OFW 5.55, then revert my firmware back to CFW 5.50, will Prinny still work? Because if not, I'll just purchase it on PSN and download it somewhere else from the internet.

In case anyone is wondering, an email from NIS said that Dragoneer's Aria was not discounted. That explains why it's $14.99, but I have no idea why it wasn't discounted.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']My personal take on it is to recommend that you get the DS version. Yes, it's missing most of the voiceovers and yes, it's not quite as colorful as the other versions. However, I still think the storyline shines through, and the presentation is still fun on the DS/DSi screen. What you will get in the DS version is what I personally found to be beyond useful: a full map view on the top screen. I can't tell you how handy it's been to have a second screen for the map in this game. It's made lining up throws, planning steps, viewing area of effect distances and ranges, and overall navigation much easier to do (not that the PSP or PS2 versions were necessarily hard in this regard of course).

You can also unlock a secret character as well as Prinny Commentary. There's a whole thread about this on the Disgaea DS GameFAQs message board, so definitely scope it our if you're on the fence.

Overall, you really can't go wrong either way. Good luck and have fun![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'll also check out that thread on GameFAQs that you mentioned.

bread's done
Back