No DVD = No Wii...for awhile!!

Spades22

CAGiversary!
Didn't Nintendo take out the playing dvd part of their system? Man I was gunna get a Wii cause my parents wanted a DVD play:shame::ps2:e they don't have DVD thing anymore! IT SUCKS! THANKS A LOT NINTENDO!!! :bomb::bomb::wall::-({|=:twoguns::argue:

Yeah, there are at least 30 threads you could have posted this in without starting a new one.

BTW, tell your folks you can get a perfectly serviceable DVD player for $30 these days. If they have an HDTV, you can even get an upconverting player for less than $100. I'm not sure why you would wait for a video game console to play movies when standalone DVD players that will do a better job are that cheap. Hell, be a hero and buy them one for Christmas.

Hell, go to wal-mart and steal a DVD player if you need it that bad, they're so cheap they won't even prosecute...

I have never understood why people are will to wear out their expensive consoles to play DVDs. With the investment I have in any particular system, I want my consoles to last decades.

[quote name='SpazX']Hell, go to wal-mart and steal a DVD player if you need it that bad, they're so cheap they won't even prosecute...[/QUOTE]

Line of the year...

Factual too, Wal-Mart recently "announced" that they would no longer prosecute shoplifters stealing beneath a certain dollar amount, because it was costing them more to prosecute them than they would have lost in theft.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Line of the year...

Factual too, Wal-Mart recently "announced" that they would no longer prosecute shoplifters stealing beneath a certain dollar amount, because it was costing them more to prosecute them than they would have lost in theft.[/quote]

Same reason credit card companies don't go after people who steal credit cards. Unless you hit a certain amount you aren't worth their time.

[quote name='Spades22']Didn't Nintendo take out the playing dvd part of their system? Man I was gunna get a Wii cause my parents wanted a DVD play:shame::ps2:e they don't have DVD thing anymore! IT SUCKS! THANKS A LOT NINTENDO!!! :bomb::bomb::wall::-({|=:twoguns::argue:[/QUOTE]

You're a fucking dumbass.

Go buy a DVD, they cost like $15 at Walmart during sales. I bought one for $35 two years ago and it works fine. This is Cheap Ass Gamers now Poor Asshole Gamers.

[quote name='daroga']can we close this thread please?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, no one and I mean NO ONE is intelligently using the inclusion of DVD as a core deciding factor in a system these days.

You can get a cheap player for $30 as noted in this thread its going to be smaller than any system out there, Wii included, if space is your problem.

It would be nice to have the functionality turned on of course, but it would be nice if they gave the system away too. Nintendo, wisely in my opinion, decided the DVD license fees werent worth the cost...

Now a fair question could be, did the DVD forum insist on some fees up front no matter what, instead of letting the dongle bear all of those costs?

deadhorse.gif

[quote name='whoknows']So...was there ever a real reason why Nintendo didn't include the DVD Player?[/quote]
Cost-cutting, presumably so they didn't have to bother with the licensing.

[quote name='Spades22']Didn't Nintendo take out the playing dvd part of their system? Man I was gunna get a Wii cause my parents wanted a DVD play[/QUOTE]

More for us, buy your own system if you want one.;)

Haha David you idiot, It was a VHS / DVD combo they bought which costed 80 bucks, and since my parents aren't really high tech or anything I said I'd throw in the extra cash and they said they would throw in even more and since the VHS still works on the other DVD I'd just hook both up together so we have a DVD and a VHS just like the other thing. They didn't know that was possible, usually when technology breaks they buy something new and see how nice it looks and how cheap it is. In other words how well it matches the room or how classy it looks. So I'm really losing half the cost of a Wii and I don't want to pay the extra, so I'll probably get a PS2 instead. They also don't care about the quality or whatever, you guys gotta realize that not every family has a household of high tech people interested in every new thing that comes out...lots of parents don't even know how to use computers, and its kinda new to them. I'm basically responsible for all the high tech stuff here so I influence the buying of technological stuff in this household a lot! And Blaq you know im the smiley guy there? XD

....wait wth....no VHS player......WTH!!!

[quote name='Spades22']Haha David you idiot, It was a VHS / DVD combo they bought which costed 80 bucks, and since my parents aren't really high tech or anything I said I'd throw in the extra cash and they said they would throw in even more and since the VHS still works on the other DVD I'd just hook both up together so we have a DVD and a VHS just like the other thing. They didn't know that was possible, usually when technology breaks they buy something new and see how nice it looks and how cheap it is. In other words how well it matches the room or how classy it looks. So I'm really losing half the cost of a Wii and I don't want to pay the extra, so I'll probably get a PS2 instead. They also don't care about the quality or whatever, you guys gotta realize that not every family has a household of high tech people interested in every new thing that comes out...lots of parents don't even know how to use computers, and its kinda new to them. I'm basically responsible for all the high tech stuff here so I influence the buying of technological stuff in this household a lot! And Blaq you know im the smiley guy there? XD

....wait wth....no VHS player......WTH!!![/QUOTE]

Actually, I'd buy the "they don't know any better" argument for grandparents, but I find it hard to believe that there are still Baby Boomers out there who don't know how to use a computer or that DVD players can be bought separately for $30, unless of course you're 50-something and your parents are senior citizens. And if that's the case, going halfsies with them on a Wii is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

In all seriousness I just don't get why some folks are upset over the Wii not having DVD playback. I can understand a bit more back when the PS2 came out it being a big deal. But now with cheap DVD players almost cheap enough to throw in a box of Cracker Jacks its not quite a big deal anymore.

[quote name='Demolition Man']In all seriousness I just don't get why some folks are upset over the Wii not having DVD playback. I can understand a bit more back when the PS2 came out it being a big deal. But now with cheap DVD players almost cheap enough to throw in a box of Cracker Jacks its not quite a big deal anymore.[/QUOTE]

While I generally agree with is, I am sort of upset with the news. My xbox used to be my dvd player, then I sold it mainly to get a DS. Nintendo announced (I thought they did, or at least one of the higher ups at Nintendo confirmed) dvd playback, and I thought to myself rather than spend $30-50 on a new DVD player, I'll just invest that money into the wii and kill two birds with one stone. So for me in my unique situation, which certainly isn't everyone, I'll be putting about 1/5 of the amount of the wii system into a dvd player.

I'm still getting a wii, so it certainly isn't a deal breaker. But I need to get a dvd player too since I have to watch all of my dvds on my laptop.

I am a Cheap Ass so I like having systems that have DVD playback so I don't have to buy a DVD player.. I mean if I didn't already have a DVD player, I would be pissed. Then again, I got a PSTwo anyways.. >.> So being that I already have 2 devices that play DVDs, no big deal here. Now if you have nothing and wanted the Wii to play DVDs, I see your point because your a cheap ass too. lol! Oh and "$15" even if that is the cost of a DVD player, it is still money. :p

For the same reason you felt that you needed to respond to him/her.

[quote name='cochesecochese']If you're so upset about it then write them a letter instead of starting a thread.[/QUOTE]

With the money you save from buying a Wii, you could buy a very nice DVD player. And if you want to bring up the space arguement, the Wii and a DVD player will take up less space than a PS3/360.

[quote name='hufferstl']For the same reason you felt that you needed to respond to him/her.[/quote]

No. I am not going to write a letter to Nintendo to bitch and whine about this kid starting a thread.

[quote name='evanft']Wait wait wait...are you telling me that the $600 PS3 doesn't have LASERDISC playback?!?!?! Oh, then fuck you.[/QUOTE]

(Now for my 4,000th post here on CAG I have written as follows....)

Even if it did I doubt that it would beat my Pioneer CLD-D704. :D

why is this thread still alive? There was already a thread to talk about the DVD playback or lack there of on the Wii.

It's not the end of the world that Nintendo isn't offering a DVD player, but the idea that both of the other companies offered this function last generation and Nintendo still doesn't gets on my nerves. Nintendo tries to go their own way, but need to offer services comparible to their competitors. Instead of cutting corners they could offer a few more items on their consoles and have a larger fan base which equals more money for them.

[quote name='Demolition Man']In all seriousness I just don't get why some folks are upset over the Wii not having DVD playback. I can understand a bit more back when the PS2 came out it being a big deal. But now with cheap DVD players almost cheap enough to throw in a box of Cracker Jacks its not quite a big deal anymore.[/QUOTE]
I think its more the fact that the Wii really doesn't have a good reason to NOT have dvd playback besides Nintendo being to cheap to put it in. Looks like pulling a profit on the Wii was their biggest concern.

[quote name='BryceDraven']I am a Cheap Ass so I like having systems that have DVD playback so I don't have to buy a DVD player.. I mean if I didn't already have a DVD player, I would be pissed. Then again, I got a PSTwo anyways.. >.> So being that I already have 2 devices that play DVDs, no big deal here. Now if you have nothing and wanted the Wii to play DVDs, I see your point because your a cheap ass too. lol! Oh and "$15" even if that is the cost of a DVD player, it is still money. :p[/quote]

If Nintendo had to pay the licensing for the DVD playback, you'd end up paying more anyway because that cost would have been folded into the cost of the Wii...And I can only imagine the histrionics if the Wii came in at $275. :roll:

[quote name='whoknows']I think its more the fact that the Wii really doesn't have a good reason to NOT have dvd playback besides Nintendo being to cheap to put it in. Looks like pulling a profit on the Wii was their biggest concern.[/QUOTE]

Apparently so. It's really a sin to chop out something that is relatively useless to lower costs. So are you going to take up against the cause of the PS3 not having 4 HDMI ports anymore next?

This is such a non-issue. I wish that Kenny said something in his press conference other then talking about carteographers and pushing a game that'll never exist in Afrika so the Sony fanboys would be able to have something to talk about. Instead, they've got to focus on how the Wii is such a rip off because it comes with a game and is $250 cheaper then the low end PS3 which has such great titles like Tony Hawk Project 8 and Madden being released at launch (you know, exclu...oh my bad).

Haha I'm 16 tard! No my parents just are like "I will only buy a VHS/DVD combo" And they won't let me convince them otherwise. They won't even let me build a comp cause it's "too much work". Whatever I'm just saying for now I am not getting a Wii cause I don't want to spend what will come out to like 500 bucks once I get an extra controller and a game. (Canadian) So now I guess I'll get a PS2 since PS3 is just far too much and Wii is no longer an option. Oh and cause XBox360 has crap for games.

Honestly how much more could it cost anyway? Nintendo is just ticking me off lately they're lucky they Got zelda and smash bros!!

Spades, yet another reason why slidecage and friends should never procreate.
So you do not want a Wii because it won't do what a $20 item will do? Why not skip a game and buy a DVD player + 4 DVDs? Id rather pay $250 for a Wii then $280 for one that plays DVDs. Unlike you I have more things that play DVDs then I have fingers on both my hands. Seriously, in this day and age who the hell wants there system to play DVDs?

[quote name='Spades22']Haha I'm 16 tard! No my parents just are like "I will only buy a VHS/DVD combo" And they won't let me convince them otherwise. They won't even let me build a comp cause it's "too much work". Whatever I'm just saying for now I am not getting a Wii cause I don't want to spend what will come out to like 500 bucks once I get an extra controller and a game. (Canadian) So now I guess I'll get a PS2 since PS3 is just far too much and Wii is no longer an option. Oh and cause XBox360 has crap for games.

Honestly how much more could it cost anyway? Nintendo is just ticking me off lately they're lucky they Got zelda and smash bros!![/QUOTE]

Your parents are absolute morons. Apparently it runs in the family since you're bragging about being 16. Furthermore, my guess is that you don't want Wii Sports included. You're also looking to buy Zelda at launch. You do realize that if it was just a $200 system that Zelda is single player, right? Ugh, why am I trying to explain this? Never mind.

On a different note, I'd totally reccomend getting a PS2 over a Wii at this point. The PS2 has a full 5+ years of games versus a system that'll have 30+ by years end. Considering that you can get a ton more PS2 stuff then you can Wii stuff at launch, that's the way to go.

No I was planning on playing Wii sports idiot. And I'd need the 2nd controller at some point if I want to actually play w/my friends. And bragging about 16? Hardly, he said I was a kid, and I don't see 16 year old's as "kids". Although I guess some people could consider those up to the age of 24 years old "kids" due to the age of 24 still being considered adolescence. So I guess basically everyone here are kiddies eh? Thanks but my family is rather bright, I got top in my class, my sister was in the top few in hers. Sister in College doing well. And its CANADA not USA so it won't be 200 bucks. Like I said, my parents ARE NOT good with technology, we're very wealthy, and its a blessing, but I'm still picky about spending my money. I'm not cheap, just picky on things that are unnecessary. Ya whatever its 80 bucks since they want the combo. I would be playing DVD's...I mean its like HD TV. I think thats so stupid I can barely tell the difference. Who the heck needs HD? Sooner have a DVD player in the Wii anyday. Everyone likes different stuff no?

While I think the logic of this kid passing up on Wii due to lack of DVD playability is faulty, I'm disappointed to hear that for the third generation in a row Nintendo has insisted on finding a way to shun disc media with their system in the hopes that they can convince all the people out there who had expectations that they really don't want what they think they want.

I don't think anybody would dislike having the option to play DVD's on their Wii (if you don't want to wear it out on DVD's you don't have to), but from the posts on this thread it doesn't sound like it was exactly a gigantic cost-saving measure to leave it out either.

For the few of you who have actually read any of my posts, you know my soapbox about stupid parents who were swayed by Wal Mart employees to buy an XBox over Gamecube during the first year of each system's release, based SOLELY on the fact that XBox played DVD's. Not a knock on MS, it's a knock on the stupid logic behind it. Nintendo was right that it doesn't make a lot of sense to include a DVD player in a system when they're so readily available anyway, but they didn't take into account that people often have stupid thought processes and act on them, regardless of how intelligent Nintendo is.

Hopefully Nintendo is correct at this point in the electronic era and nobody will care, but this kid is living proof that there are at least some who still fall linto the "I won't buy it without a DVD player" category...how does a company just keep doing the exact same thing that burned them last time over and over again?

OK, we know you don't care about the DVD playback, but is calling the OP and his parents morons really necessary?

[quote name='furyk']Your parents are absolute morons. Apparently it runs in the family since you're bragging about being 16. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='hufferstl']OK, we know you don't care about the DVD playback, but is calling the OP and his parents morons really necessary?[/QUOTE]

I think it is since the OP hasn't realized what a moron he is at this point. His parents refuse to buy a $20 DVD player because it can't play VHS tapes. I consider that a rather moronic statement. I'm hoping that he can put two and two together (that's four btw original post, put your shoes back on, there'll be no toe counting on my watch).

There's also the fact that this kid can't put together a post that doesn't make my eyes bleed. I'm all in favor of discussion and criticism of any given thing at any given time as long as there's some sembalance of value in what I'm reading. Let's look at what's been added so far by the earth shaking genius of the OP.

At this point, the original post has stated, he doesn't want a Wii because his parents are whores for convergence. He lives in Canada and is 16, yet feels like an adult because he thinks his sentences are coherent. He wants to play with his friends, and *gasp* it'll cost money. His parents are rich, but thrifty. Thanks OP for this deep enrichment of my life. Go tap a tree for maple syrup or fight a bear or whatever you Canadians do. Just stop posting.

bread's done
Back