No Nintendo Keynote at e3!

I don't blame them. I very much prefer Nintendo having their own day(s) with Nintendo Direct and maybe highlighting a few of their "hardware movers" at an event like E3. I'm fine with Sony copying too, get your own day and don't cram everything into that tiny hour long window. I have little hope of being interested in Microsoft though, probably a focus on becoming the living room's entertainment hub and then like 2 minutes of games flashed as an afterthought.

Maybe its a sign of E3 changing overall and hopefully that turns out to be for the better.

I kind of figure they wouldn't do E3 with all the Nintendo Directs they've been doing. Plus they didn't want to get over shadowed with all the PS4 and NextBox coverage.

With the other two showing off flashy new hardware, they probably figured they would have gotten lost in the shuffle. So it's probably a good move for them.

Seems like a great idea. The Big 3 conferences are always full of tons of stuff aimed at people other than us (ie. retailers/investors). This way, we will probably get to see and read about just the games and features we care about without all the corporate stuff mixed in.

[quote name='mrx001']I guess they don't have much to show off.[/QUOTE]
And they know it. At least they're not completely clueless.

Everyone has slammed their clunky and seemingly out of touch keynotes the last few years so this can only be good for them. They will still be there showing the games and such - just no awkward "formal" presentation. They left that for MS and Sony. A good move.

[quote name='io']Everyone has slammed their clunky and seemingly out of touch keynotes the last few years so this can only be good for them. They will still be there showing the games and such - just no awkward "formal" presentation. They left that for MS and Sony. A good move.[/QUOTE]

Sony and MS may have put on bad presentations over the years but it seems like Nintendo is the kind of embarrassing conferences. It's definitely a good idea that they stop trying. Plus, they're gonna have a tough time competing with MS's console reveal and Sony showcasing the PS4.

Nintendo already revealed a lot of their big titles. If they have smaller showings where the media can actually get a closer look or play the games, then it might work out in their favor.

After the last Nintendo Direct video with tons of new release info, people were wondering what, if anything, they could possibly show off at E3.

If you think they don't have anything to show, you obviously haven't been keeping up.

[quote name='pippin']If you think they don't have anything to show, you obviously haven't been keeping up.[/QUOTE]
What original IPs have they coughed up in the past years? Zelda has two remakes, one in HD and one portable. There's a new, new, new, extra, super, new Mario Luigi game coming and another Luigi rehash game. Donkey Kong Country remake in 3D soon.

Seeing a pattern yet? Creatively bankrupt and nothing to show. About the only thing people were excited for is a new Pikmin and it's still months out.

[quote name='Jodou']What original IPs have they coughed up in the past years? Zelda has two remakes, one in HD and one portable. There's a new, new, new, extra, super, new Mario Luigi game coming and another Luigi rehash game. Donkey Kong Country remake in 3D soon.

Seeing a pattern yet? Creatively bankrupt and nothing to show. About the only thing people were excited for is a new Pikmin and it's still months out.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Despite what Miyamoto claims about creating a new IP (and that was...what...a year or two ago?), Nintendo is comfortable releasing the same series (and in cases, games) over and over again. As they probably should if only because it's guaranteed money. Mario sells like hotcakes, so why not farm out as many games as they do?

It is nice to see them bring back games that haven't been tested in a while such as the Kid Icarus: Uprising and Donkey Kong Country Returns, but this is a company known for their characters. I don't know why they are so afraid to expand their roster even more.

Obviously if all you care about is new original IPs, Nintendo is not the company for you.

They have a lot of games releasing this year that I'm really looking forward to.

Personally, I'm not impressed with what Microsoft has been doing, but I don't go bashing them for not catering to me.

Impressions from these E3 demos are mostly worthless though. If it's bad "oh, it's still in Alpha. They still have plenty of time to fix things". If it's good, congratulations, they liked the part of the game the developer specifically picked to appeal to as many people as possible. As a person at home, it's not like I can play them myself.

I'd disagree on e3 demo impressions, at least from my experience. The e3 demo of the 3ds castlevania game ended up playing almost exactly like the final product, it was just a bit more polished and had the rest of the content.

I wouldn't call E3 demos worthless, since the games are almost always less than a year off, and in most cases less than six.

I find it ironic that some people in the games media are saying what a bad move this and now they won't get any coverage, yet those same people are giving them a lot of coverage over this decision. I'm sure they'll try and give it a negative spin either way, of course. It will be either 'Nintendo is irrelevant as E3 shines more than ever' when in reality it isn't or 'Nintendo unveiled something big but no one cared' except for the people writing those headlines.

To me, the timing couldn't have been worse, even if they had nothing. If it does work, they kill the need for E3, and if it doesn't they'll have a Conference next year and it will be hailed as the return of the conquering heroes, or something along those lines. But I think their Nintendo Directs contradict the idea of them having an E3 Press Conference. However, if they continue down this route they need to announce these things further in advance, like 7-10 days before hand to let some hype build for it.

The problem here is that Nintendo Direct targets a small percent of their regular customer base. I don't think it's a good way to increase Wii U sales. In my mind I picture watching a quick 5 minute tech blurb on CNN and they show parts of MS and Sony keynotes. They show nothing or close to it for Nintendo. The same is true for something like USA Today. E3 is the only event that regular press will attend (outside of the ps4/nextbox announcements). The regular media is not going to be reporting on Nintendo Direct.

I read everyone's comments above that think this is good. It's better than nothing but it is NOT good. Keep in mind Wii U sales were supposed to be 5.5 million by end of March. They lowered it to 4 million. They only sold 3.5 million.

If they aren't willing to get out there and have their name in the regular media with E3 then how exactly are they going to push Wii U sales????

They don't want to compete with Sony and MS eh? Well then it follows that they won't want to compete this holiday when they'll have damn near a billion dollar marketing budget each. Particularly MS.

You don't sell your product by deciding not to compete. How exactly are they going to make Wii U a viable platform? Are they just giving away their year head start?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm not convinced there's any point in E3 keynotes at all anymore, Nintendo or otherwise...[/QUOTE]

Then why go to E3 at all? They should just pull out. Obviously THEY think it still has value. They're just too cheap to compete with the other 2.

It's kind of weird that they've opted not to do a keynote, but E3 really isn't what it used to be. It used to be the event where everyone showed off all of their stuff, but now there are more conferences and more ways for them to show off their games. I like what they've been doing with Nintendo Direct and I suspect they'll have an E3 edition that will probably be more watchable than dragging it on for over an hour.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm not convinced there's any point in E3 keynotes at all anymore, Nintendo or otherwise...[/QUOTE]

E3 in general is aimed towards investors, not consumers. In the days of slow (or no) interest, E3 was awesome... so much new info about the latest and greatest. But now, with communication technology so advanced (wi-fi everywhere, mobile networks, streaming video, etc.), news spreads fast so E3 isn't as appealing since all the gaming related details are usually leaked early.

I just remember the constant lambasting they got for their E3 presentations in the past (for the most part). So in those terms it seems like a good idea. I really don't think the mainstream media only covers the keynotes anyway. I've never seen the keynotes or any info from them (barring major announcements like consoles which obviously Nintendo can't do this year) anywhere besides on gaming sites.

Skipping E3 entirely would be a mistake but that's not what they are doing. Presumably they would still have a booth and smaller game-specific presentations and that is really all that people wanted to see before anyway. The keynotes have been bloated with a bunch of other crap people don't want to see.

If they announce any new Wii U games during or around the time of E3, that will be the news that will make or break their media coverage. It doesn't matter if those announcements are in one single keynote or spread around different demos/press releases. All that info will be collected in summaries on sites like IGN and deliver the same end-result as the MS and Sony keynotes.

Agreed. I think all three of the keynotes from the console developers have been pretty worthless. I don't think we will miss much of anything with Nintendo not doing it.

My only point to this is, this is one of the few times of the year that the non-gaming press and other news outlets cover the games industry, and also for gamers and non-gamers to pay more attention to gaming, so for them to bow out and do little events at E3 instead seems kind of stupid considering they still need to capture mindshare of gamers and non-gamers and why would you not do that at the biggest game show in the world...???

Makes no sense, guess Nintendo is using the Chewbacca defense. ;)

[quote name='uncle5555']My only point to this is, this is one of the few times of the year that the non-gaming press and other news outlets cover the games industry, and also for gamers and non-gamers to pay more attention to gaming, so for them to bow out and do little events at E3 instead seems kind of stupid considering they still need to capture mindshare of gamers and non-gamers and why would you not do that at the biggest game show in the world...???

Makes no sense, guess Nintendo is using the Chewbacca defense. ;)[/QUOTE]
Lets put it this way, I haven't seen anyone that doesn't already own a Wii U come here and say this is good.

[quote name='uncle5555']My only point to this is, this is one of the few times of the year that the non-gaming press and other news outlets cover the games industry, and also for gamers and non-gamers to pay more attention to gaming, so for them to bow out and do little events at E3 instead seems kind of stupid considering they still need to capture mindshare of gamers and non-gamers and why would you not do that at the biggest game show in the world...???[/QUOTE]

io's point needs reiterating here:

[quote name='io']I've never seen the keynotes or any info from them (barring major announcements like consoles which obviously Nintendo can't do this year) anywhere besides on gaming sites.[/QUOTE]

For the record, neither have I. When the mainstream media covers E3, it's typically about major hardware announcements and the show as a whole. Of course, Nintendo will have upcoming games to show off at E3 itself, as usual, but if they're of the mindset that a press conference would be a waste of time and money this year, then I don't blame them. Gamers will still be paying attention to hands-on gameplay impressions and new trailers (both of which tend to be more informative than the press conferences), and non-gamers will still get the level of E3 coverage from the MSM they usually get.

Whether or not this is a good or bad move for them, it's an interesting experiment, and I wish them well.

bread's done
Back