NOSTALGIA:The first RPGin a long timeI'm kinda excited for.

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Ignition and Tecmo Present NOSTALGIA for Nintendo DS™

Prepare to Lift-Off in September 2009

Glendale, CA – April 28, 2009 – Ignition Entertainment Ltd., a UTV
Enterprise, a worldwide publisher and developer of videogames, and Tecmo, in
conjunction with Matrix Software and Red Entertainment, invite gamers to
takeoff on a nostalgic journey through time and space with Nostalgia for
Nintendo DS™ - launching September 2009. Set in an alternate-reality
version of 19th-century Earth, Nostalgia casts you as Eddie, a headstrong
Londoner who amasses a group of memorable companions to traverse the world
in his steampunk-inspired zeppelin. As you navigate the open skies, you’ll
explore mysterious foreign locales, slay all manner of fantastical enemies,
complete a variety of thrilling quests, and ultimately, save the world from
unfathomable evil.

Developed by Matrix Software (Dragon Quest V PS2, Final Fantasy III-IV DS),
in association with Red Entertainment (Gungrave, Bonk, Thousand Arms),
Nostalgia brings together a powerful think-tank of old-school Japanese RPG
development talent to present a stunning new vision in gaming. Produced by
Keisuke Kikuchi (Fatal Frame, Tokobot) and directed by Naoki Morita (Sakura
Taisen), with art direction by Yoshiteru Tsujino (Far East of Eden), airship
design by Takuhito Kusanagi (Grandia, Blue Submarine No.6, Samurai 7), and
enemy design by Keita Amemiya (Iria- Zeiram the Animation, Kamen Rider),
Tecmo has amassed an all-star dream team of industry veterans to forge a
brand new DS adventure that hearkens back to the classic glory days of
Japanese role-playing games.

According to Nostalgia producer, Keisuke Kikuchi, “I knew this game had such
potential when I saw Mr. Morita’s project book. It is an adventure game set
in another Earth, offering an enjoyable story that involves various
different cultures in many diverse locations. The key element that brings
the game together is the airship, the conveyance which fits its game system
and world-view. I wanted to make this idea into a product for everyone to
play.”

“We feel deeply honored for the opportunity to bring Tecmo’s esteemed
Japanese Nintendo DS role-playing game “Nostalgeo no Kaze” to an entirely
new audience as Nostalgia,” said Shane Bettenhausen, New Business
Development Director of Ignition Entertainment. “Amid a sea of remakes and
rehashes, this endearing adventure blazes its own unique path with deeply
engrossing gameplay systems, but it also hearkens back to the classic RPGs
of yesteryear with its unforgettable characters and universal narrative
themes.”

Key Game Features:

• Ambitious, fully 3D polygonal graphical engine offers dramatic, sweeping
camera angles and impressive vistas rarely seen in a DS title.
• Cohesive, anime-inspired art direction that effectively captures the
game’s turn-of-the-century charm.
• Travel to incredibly unique, non-traditional RPG locales via airship
including London, New York, Cairo, Africa, and Russia.
• Features two distinct combat engines: One is a brisk, turn-based
close-quarters melee between your party members and monsters; while the
other offers thrilling, large-scale airship battles. In addition, your
battle skills are scored at the conclusion of each conflict, inspiring
strategic mastery.
• Handy in-game notebook feature keeps track of people, monsters, airships
and items you've run across.
• Plenty of user-defined customization, allowing the player to trick out his
or her airship with various weapons, armor types, and special skill attacks.
The player can also choose character-specific skills from a branching tree
for a more personalized experience.
• Explore a variety of diverse, engaging dungeons that include brain bending
puzzles and tricky Indiana Jones-style traps.
• Optional quest system inspires players to approach the adventure from a
less linear perspective, extending the life of the gameplay experience.

For more information, visit www.nostalgiads.com

Could be great,could be crap.

Sounds kind of like a turn of the century Skies of Arcadia. Trailer looks great, although I had no clue what the announcer was saying. I'm in!

Looks great.

I often have to wonder who they get to write the English trailers for some of these JRPGs. I often like watching the Japanese ones better because than I can imagine for myself what kind of banalities they're using to describe the game.

This game is out soon. I don't know much about it, but it looks intersting and I can't wait till it comes out lol. 1st day purchase for me most likely.

I don't see the point. It's not like JRPGs have really changed much over the past 25 years to begin with. Final Fantasy VII was the last time any major change really happened in play style, but never in story.

I really hope this game is good, as I love old-school RPGs (evidenced by the fact that the only new releases I enjoyed this year were old-school RPGs), but I am not keeping my hopes up. It seems like a cheap knock-off of Skies of Arcadia. If it gets good reviews and impressions I will probably buy it, but I don't plan on buying it day one unless those come out before release.

[quote name='Diosoth']I don't see the point. It's not like JRPGs have really changed much over the past 25 years to begin with. Final Fantasy VII was the last time any major change really happened in play style, but never in story.[/QUOTE]
What does this post even mean? We shouldn't play any RPGs after FFVII?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I really hope this game is good, as I love old-school RPGs (evidenced by the fact that the only new releases I enjoyed this year were old-school RPGs), but I am not keeping my hopes up. It seems like a cheap knock-off of Skies of Arcadia. If it gets good reviews and impressions I will probably buy it, but I don't plan on buying it day one unless those come out before release.[/QUOTE]
I know the feeling, my second-most-played game of the generation is now a 16-bit sequel. :lol:

I have this preordered pretty cheaply, but I'm hoping a review or two pops up before it comes out.

Here's a newer trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBb8nTjSuks

Thanks for the trailer, botticus. I'm intrigued, but it definitely won't be a day one purchase. Just has the feeling of a good RPG. Not a great, earth-shattering one, but an enjoyable romp none-the-less.

After the letdown that was Black Sigil I'm definitely waiting for reviews, but I'll keep my hopes up. When's the release date?

[quote name='keithp']After the letdown that was Black Sigil I'm definitely waiting for reviews, but I'll keep my hopes up. When's the release date?[/QUOTE]

Gamestop says October 22nd, Amazon says October 27th. So somewhere around there.

And oh my god was Black Sigil a giant piece of shit. Easily one of the worst RPGs and games I've ever played. There's NO. fuckING. WAY. this game will be that bad, trust me.

EDIT: Just watched the video posted. All I could think was the developers saying, "No, this isn't a giant Skies of Arcadia ripoff! HONEST"

I have it pre-ordered and am excited. Then again, I get excited for pretty much any new IP in the genre. I'm hoping it will be good.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Just watched the video posted. All I could think was the developers saying, "No, this isn't a giant Skies of Arcadia ripoff! HONEST"[/QUOTE]

Of course its not! They are complete different! One was on Dreamcast and this ones on DS :D. Big difference! ... XD

I haven't been seeing enough reviews and coverage of this game. Last thing I saw on this game was this quarter page sneak peak in some obscure game magazine at Borders.

[quote name='mis0']I haven't been seeing enough reviews and coverage of this game. Last thing I saw on this game was this quarter page sneak peak in some obscure game magazine at Borders.[/QUOTE]

Yet strangely, I was asked in a Gamestop recently if I wanted to preorder it. I was absolutely floored that the guy was able to spot my potential interest in the game (I'd just bought a used GBA copy of Tactics Ogre). Unfortunately for him, I already have it pre-ordered at Amazon. I too am shocked its not getting more buzz.

[quote name='botticus']

I know the feeling, my second-most-played game of the generation is now a 16-bit sequel. :lol:

[/QUOTE]

What is the game you are referring to here botticus?

curious.

Anyone preorder this from Amazon? If so, Ignition will send you a free copy of the artbook that is NOT otherwise available to purchasers of the game. The only other way to get it was to be a member of the press and it was sent to you with your review copy.

How to get it:
1. Preorder on Amazon.
2. Take a screenshot of your order details including order number.
3. Send the screenshot and a mailing address to [email protected].
4. You should get a confirmation email saying they'll send you out the artbook "shortly after release." I did this and got the confirmation email just a couple hours after sending. Quantities limited to 200 artbooks.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=157749923147&id=86920918692

[quote name='doodofdoods']Sent in an e-mail to get the art book.[/QUOTE]

Did you get a response yet? I Preordered it for the artbook but haven't heard back yet. Otherwise I'll wait for Christmas deals.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Haven't received a reply yet. I sent it yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Uh, it IS the weekend. I wouldn't worry about it.

Game is out pretty much everywhere but Amazon. God dammit.

I would cancel my Amazon preorder and just pick it up at Gamestop, but I got it for free on Amazon with giftcards and I want the artbook and bonus digital comic. Mainly because it's free though.

got the game...terrific, graphics are really good, battles are fun, wish their was no random battles though but I guess thats the point of Nostalgia : ). Its got the old school flavor of Brave Story PSP, which is a very good thing.

Wow, hopefully there aren't more than 200 people preordering this at Amazon so I haven't missed out on a free artbook! Sent in my request a few minutes ago, thanks for the heads-up, DoK.

[quote name='botticus']Wow, hopefully there aren't more than 200 people preordering this at Amazon so I haven't missed out on a free artbook! Sent in my request a few minutes ago, thanks for the heads-up, DoK.[/QUOTE]

The free artbook thing isn't even posted on Amazon so you will probably be ok.

Looks good. I can't find many reviews but Game Informer gave it an 8 with a really positive review. The only downsides are typically old-school elements like random encounters and some cliched rpg story elements ... which I almost welcome.

bread's done
Back