Not Exactly cheap but Silent Hill 4 in English

The game is shit, trust me. I already imported it, beat it, and sold it on eBay. Such a disappointment considering the rest of the series is so excellent.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The game is shit, trust me. I already imported it, beat it, and sold it on eBay. Such a disappointment considering the rest of the series is so excellent.[/quote]what did they add/change to it that made it not so good?

I played my friends import copy for about 30 minutes, and I was pretty impressed with the game, especially considering that I'm not that big of a fan of the series. It seemed alot scarier than other entries in the series, and I know I'm definitely getting one when it get's released here.

If you play it for only 30 minutes, you're going to like it. Most of the problems aren't apparent until at least halfway through the game. I don't like to explain these things myself, but the 5/10 Silent Hill 4 reviews on GameFAQs do a good job: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/919554.html I don't agree with them totally (for example, I liked the story), but their complaints about the gameplay are the same.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a normal gamer opinion or a fanboy opinion. I think I'll just buy the game and see....when it comes over here though.

[quote name='Wario64']Anything written by a Gamefaqs member shouldn't be taken seriously.[/quote]

I agree, I hate reading reviews from what I think would be ppl with same likings as me when they end up being completley diffrent. Not all reviews on gamefaqs suck but a MAJORITY of them do.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Bleh, I just didn't feel like typing out something that would end up being very similar to their opinions. They're right in this case.[/quote]

Sorry DOK, but I just can't trust you one on this one. For me, it's:
SH3>SH1>>>>>>SH2.

I wouldn't say I hated SH2, it's just I found it to be a major dissapointmet, aside from Pyramid Head, He was (and still is) the main reason I played through SH2. SH3, on the other hand, I just couldn't get enough of. The story wraps up all the loose end sfrom part 1, has a wicked plot twist half-way through and had some down right terror inducing scenario's.

Here's the problem: mostly everyone who hated SH4 (you included) loved SH2, but also hated SH3 (or was at least dissapointed with it). For me, the reverse is true. You see what I'm getting at?

I've read all the complaints about SH4 and they seem just too petty.
There's a item management system, ala RE. Okay fine, there supposed to encorage stradegizing, since you'll be needing to think about what you need ahead of time. Simple stuff if you've been playing survival horror games from the start.

Next up is the lack of healing items, and how the major way of healing is his apartmaent. Now I'm just guessing here, but I suppiose the apartment is looked at as a safe haven, a refuge for both the player and the main character, so if you have to find a way back to the apartment just to heal and save, then I guess that's cool.

Well I hope that after typing all that out, that I'm right ;) and I'm not dissapointed in SH4 as I was with SH2.

BTW I wouldn't listen to any of the Gamefaqs reviews, they're all a bunch of opinions passed off as reviews. I hate it when someone say: "I can't trust ______ (insert popular VG mag, or website name), I only trust what the people say." 99/100 I agree with the reviewer, maybe not with the score, but chances are they make valid points (that honestly, people on gamefaqs tend to over look, or over exagerate on). Unless, ofcoarse, that mag happens to be game informer, they have the absolute worst review team ever in a publication. It's as if all the varius fanboys at gamefaqs were given jobs as reviewers.

I honestly do not care if they made a Silent Hill without any story to it whatsoever...

just getting the chance to walk thru hell town is enough to satisfy me

Too bad it doesn't even take place in Silent Hill.

And maybe you should PLAY the game yourself before forming opinions, never4ever. I thought the same things myself before my copy arrived.

I posted one of those 5/10 reviews. I rated it a 5/10 because it is an average game.

Leaving aside the accusation that I am a "fanboy" (of what? Not liking SH4!?), if you haven't played the game, you have no ground to stand on in commenting on whether or not any review, positive or negative, is accurate or not.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and while SH3 was definitely a step down in quality imo from 1 and 2, it was a heck of a lot better than SH4. I would have given SH3 a 6 or 7, as it was "above-average" but not good (8). SH would have scored an 8 or 9, and SH2 easily a 9.

I bought the game, had it in my hands on Thursday, beat it in 8 hours, and had it up on Ebay that Saturday. The only other game that's had a turnaround like that with me was Barbarian for the PS2.

As the poster mentioned, the import is 100% in English. If you get the Korean version (same as JPN version in every substantive way), I think it was around $48 at Play Asia, though they may have changed the price since I last looked. For those who can play imports, $48 + shipping is a decent deal to get a game months before it will be released outside of Japan.

[quote name='kyouki']I posted one of those 5/10 reviews. I rated it a 5/10 because it is an average game.

Leaving aside the accusation that I am a "fanboy" (of what? Not liking SH4!?), if you haven't played the game, you have no ground to stand on in commenting on whether or not any review, positive or negative, is accurate or not.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and while SH3 was definitely a step down in quality imo from 1 and 2, it was a heck of a lot better than SH4. I would have given SH3 a 6 or 7, as it was "above-average" but not good (8). SH would have scored an 8 or 9, and SH2 easily a 9.

I bought the game, had it in my hands on Thursday, beat it in 8 hours, and had it up on Ebay that Saturday. The only other game that's had a turnaround like that with me was Barbarian for the PS2.

As the poster mentioned, the import is 100% in English. If you get the Korean version (same as JPN version in every substantive way), I think it was around $48 at Play Asia, though they may have changed the price since I last looked. For those who can play imports, $48 + shipping is a decent deal to get a game months before it will be released outside of Japan.[/quote]

Wow, nice to see you post here. Your review was excellent. Personally I would give SH1-3 each a 9 at least, and SH4 a 5 or a 6 (6 being generous). It really is a flawed, rushed, and lazy game.

Thanks. :)

Just so no one thinks that I obsessively search online for mention of me or something I did, I have been going to CAG for some time now... this is where I found that great Xbox GTA for $28 deal (which I split with a friend... I got GTA3 for $15, he got GTAVC for $15). I've only recently registered and only VERY recently started posting.

I'm hoping the the game will come out over here with the soundtrack. I want it (it's very good), but don't want to pay $40-50 for it, which is what it goes for on Ebay. If it gets released over here, I'll buy it, take the soundtrack, and sell the game itself on EBay (again).

bread's done
Back