Now I know why there's such a poor stigma associated with E-Bayers

[quote name='shhximxhiding']Just curious, how many times has a seller replied with "this shit is stolen and that is why I am selling it on craig's list"?[/QUOTE]
It isn't what they say it is how they say it.

Lets say a Craig's lister has 3 iPods and I'm interested in one. I ask him why he has 3 iPods and why is he selling them. Depending on their reply I can figure out if they are hot or not, most of the time. If it smells fishy it is fishy. I like a good deal but I don't like hot items.

I always get phone numbers to call before I ask answers to see if it is fishy or not. I don't buy a bunch from cl but sometimes I will buy an odd or an end.

What I don't get is why people care what the hell somebody is going to do with their games after they sell them. I mean, if I were face to face with some kid and he was looking real sad and handed me a five dollar bill and said it was all he had and wanted to buy some game I was offered $10 for from a person I knew was going to resell it or just put it in the "collection", I would give him a break. But when I'm dealing with people I don't know online, if you are willing to pay what I want, or are at least willing to pay more than the next highest guy, then I don't care what you are doing with them. The buyer that offers the most money gets it.

When I sell something on ebay (or maybe soon to be selling on craigslist) I don't care who its going to. You just have to accept the fact that when your selling something it may go to a reseller or it may go to someone for their collection. I could see if someone is giving away an item, then they would care where it goes as no one would want to give away an item to an ebay reseller, when you give away an item you are hoping that someone gets some use out of it.

This is totally ridiculous. I would never buy a lot of games (unless it was HUGE) without knowing all the games included. I don't want 4 decent games and then 6 tennis games. It WOULD make a difference to me if I were getting some hockey and boxing games rather than 6 maddens. If you are want to sell a lot of games just say what all the damn games are and save yourself AND the buyer some frustration. I can't believe you don't understand this.

I have to side with both on this post.

The seller was ridiculously lazy not listing all 10 games, and had unrealistic expectations of people who asked questions in response.

However, buyers can also be extermely annoying. I often list an item as "Complete" in the title, and give very clear and detailed descriptions of the case and instructions in the description - only to have bidders email with incredibly stupid questions like "does this come with the instruction manual and case?" Really? Some of the buyers the OP is complaining about sound similar as well.

And yes, it is annoying for someone to be trying to take advantage of you. It implies that they think you are stupid, and that they don't mind taking advantage of you in order to profit for themselves (for example, the guy who offered the OP 1/2 price on his auction). To me that's an insult. People have a certain amount of pride in their stuff - even if they are just trying to sell it. How would you feel if you were trying to sell your car or house and somebody came up and kicked it a couple of times, then told you it's only worth 1/2 what you are asking? (Especially if you are asking a fair price).

"Oh yeah, that car is only worth $5,000" (buyer turns his head and whispers into his cell phone "yes! list it now for $7,500, I got a sucker here!!!")

The only ebayers i hate are

The french guy that tried to stiff me on buying a pc game and the sleaze bag that sold me a broken xbox and didnt include all the games he listed, and then called me a jerk for reportig him to ebay.

Long story short,

List everything and be as specific as possible, and whoever buys it, as longa s their money is good i dont care what they do with the stuff. They could burn it in sacrifice to thier freaky overhead projector god for all i care.

[quote name='chosen1s']I have to side with both on this post.

The seller was ridiculously lazy not listing all 10 games, and had unrealistic expectations of people who asked questions in response.

However, buyers can also be extermely annoying. I often list an item as "Complete" in the title, and give very clear and detailed descriptions of the case and instructions in the description - only to have bidders email with incredibly stupid questions like "does this come with the instruction manual and case?" Really? Some of the buyers the OP is complaining about sound similar as well.

And yes, it is annoying for someone to be trying to take advantage of you. It implies that they think you are stupid, and that they don't mind taking advantage of you in order to profit for themselves (for example, the guy who offered the OP 1/2 price on his auction). To me that's an insult. People have a certain amount of pride in their stuff - even if they are just trying to sell it. How would you feel if you were trying to sell your car or house and somebody came up and kicked it a couple of times, then told you it's only worth 1/2 what you are asking? (Especially if you are asking a fair price).

"Oh yeah, that car is only worth $5,000" (buyer turns his head and whispers into his cell phone "yes! list it now for $7,500, I got a sucker here!!!")[/quote]
No one here is denying the fact that buyers can be obnoxious, the difference is that you described and listed everything in detail, whereas the OP left things out and is now complaining when people are asking about it.

I'm completely with Gizmo here.

What's wrong with flipping on ebay? If the person selling the system gets what he wants for it, who cares what the buyer does? I flip all the time, I make lots of money doing it. Have I ever stole for something I want? no. What do I do? I give people however much money they want for their items.

Grow up, sounds to me like you just hate the fact that someone may make a buck off of your crap.

I'd want to know the exact games before buying any lot myself.

[quote name='chosen1s']
However, buyers can also be extermely annoying. I often list an item as "Complete" in the title, and give very clear and detailed descriptions of the case and instructions in the description - only to have bidders email with incredibly stupid questions like "does this come with the instruction manual and case?" Really? Some of the buyers the OP is complaining about sound similar as well. [/QUOTE]

Some buyers ask a question even if there really isn't anything left to know just to see how promptly and politely the seller responds. I've done it. But I'm sure many of them are just being too lazy to read the description.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I'm completely with Gizmo here.

What's wrong with flipping on ebay? If the person selling the system gets what he wants for it, who cares what the buyer does? I flip all the time, I make lots of money doing it. Have I ever stole for something I want? no. What do I do? I give people however much money they want for their items.

Grow up, sounds to me like you just hate the fact that someone may make a buck off of your crap.[/quote]

I've noticed a trend at CAG and it seems like hardly anyone on this board reads past the first post. At the risk of making you look even dumber, I already explained this. I don't care what someone does with whatever I'm selling to them. They could rub it all over their naughty bits for all I care.

My issues with those two people were this:

On the N64 guy, not only did he cut my offer in half, but he wanted them in better condition to boot. So not only is he trying to lowball me, he's trying to be greedy as well. If you wanna go lower on the offer fine and that's totally understandable but don't ask for it to be in better condition when you're not even willing to pay the old price. It would be like asking $10 for a set of dishes that's marked $20 and saying, "Is there anyway I could get a set you still have in the box instead?" There's a very logical reason as to why stuff in shitty condition costs less than better looking stuff.

As for the GC lady, it's extremely tacky to make up stories/lies to try and get something for cheaper when you can't even follow through with them. It would be like asking someone what PSX games they have for your 6 year old boys and then scoffing when they don't have Suikoden. Granted, wanting Mario DDR new is understandable but naming one of the rarer games for GC and asking for it "sealed", not new, just raises a ton of flags.

[quote name='davo1224']
As for the GC lady, it's extremely tacky to make up stories/lies to try and get something for cheaper when you can't even follow through with them. It would be like asking someone what PSX games they have for your 6 year old boys and then scoffing when they don't have Suikoden. Granted, wanting Mario DDR new is understandable but naming one of the rarer games for GC and asking for it "sealed", not new, just raises a ton of flags.[/quote] Raises a ton of flags that she's looking to sell games on eBay? You said you don't care what people do with what you sell to them so why would it raise any flags? Also, your OP did say that the GC lady didn't even want your games, so how is she not following through? She even said that she was "sorry" that she wasn't interested.

Sounds to me like you're annoyed that you took the time to answer her questions and she ended up not wanting your stuff, thus you feel like you wasted your time on her and didn't get a sale. But, now you're here on CAG, wasting your time again with stories and descriptions of how you did nothing wrong. Stop with the explanations and just take this as a lesson learned - list all your items, even if you feel they're just crappy sports titles.

I'm still trying to figure out why the title isn't: Now I know whey there's such a poor stigma associated with CLers.

CraigsList, eBay, Free Market in general is very rarely fueled by those wanting to throw money away on product they don't want or need, or on product they do want/need, but in condition less than they deem acceptible.

Anyway, I've sold a few Mario DDRs on eBay. Each one went as a birthday gift to a son or daughter. Each person who bought asked about when it would arrive by if paid for on X-date and if it was in the box (despite my listing showing a picture of the big Mario DDR box and the listing explicitly stating the new/sealed condition of the set). It's a great gift. It's a game, but not just a dinky dvd-case sized game. Its in a nice big box with the dance pad. Big boxes at birthdays = more exciting. Packaging, like it or not, sells.

Second. Girls generally speaking are into RPGs. It's rare to find a girl like myself who enjoys Ghost Recon or Gears of War. So a daughter wanting RPGs or Adventure games wouldn't surprize me at all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly, I got to be like the OP when listing some items in a local ad paper for sale(including an ad for game guides, for $5 each :whistle2:D)and getting people asking 'well, why are you getting rid of it?' and then I answer that with 'I don't need it anymore' or whatever, then I get asked another littany of questions.[/quote]Dang, you get some bizarre questions. I think if someone asked me why I was selling something, I'd give tell them I needed money quick for a frontal lobotomy. That would stop them from emailing you.

LOL Gwen, I had people who emailed me using the "I can get that cheaper @(store or site name)" line on me too, which completely frustrated me.

Right now, I have the Devil May Cry trilogy on both my TL on here and in an ad on CL. I already got a bite on the CL ad, for 2 games of mine(the DMC trilogy and Heroes Of The Pacific) for a total of around $30 something. I didn't pay much for the DMC trilogy, thanks to the $20 GC from Best Buy for them not selling me the Prima guides ringing up .00 a while back.

Now, as long as they are local and don't try and lowball me(since the price I listed for the DMC set is the lowest I'd go), then all will be OK.

I'm seriously thinking about listing more of my games on CL, namely the stuff I got real cheap from Kmart, double it in price and see if I get any real bites.

I mean, I don't want the world for them, but not to be lowballed would be nice too.

Plus, if they want, I have the guides for DMC 2 and 3 sitting here which I would tack on like $5-7 for both guides and just get rid of with the set, since I haven't played any of them since I tried the original maybe 2 months ago.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I had people who emailed me using the "I can get that cheaper @(store or site name)" line on me too, which completely frustrated me.[/quote]well, that is a valid point. But if the price someone gave me for a game was higher than in-store, I'd just not reply back. Unless they gave the impression that they were flexible and/or reasonable.

If they're asking $100 for something $20 in a store, that's the end.

I'm surprized no one here is interested in your DMC set with guides. That's a pretty popular title.

[quote name='yukine']My conclusion to this trivial matter is that davo1224 is an obnoxious prick, thus we should all avoid dealing with him.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth.

[quote name='Apossum']so OP, is this the right way to post on Craig's List?--
http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/367714568.html

no pictures, no description, no titles, just one line, all in capitals and a price. :lol:

anyway, the moral of the story-- if people are asking what games you have and clue you in to what's valuable and what isn't, then sell that stuff on Ebay yourself, smart one :lol:

I know you think you're selling it to a poor, needy orphan whose last wish is to play Mario DDR, and I commend you for that, but the truth is, the orphan is just going to sell it on ebay too. and use the profits to buy crack.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Wow, I seriously laughed out loud to that. Good stuff.

Oh and I agree with Gizmo too about being as specific as possible when listing an item/items for sale. As a buyer, it's reassuring to know exactly what I'm getting (no matter how big or small) and it also helps to see what I'm getting.

I don't find it unreasonable at all to ask what the other games were. Maybe take this as a lesson and be as specific and clear as possible when trying to sell. And yes, I do understand that they were old sports games, but as someone mentioned, that may still matter to some people. For example, if someone (or their child that they're buying for) only liked hockey and baseball and your set included only basketball and football games (or any variation of this scenario) it may make just enough difference for a person to take or leave the set.

Obviously it's your choice on what you want to base a sale on, but I think you were overreacting a little bit too much. Although maybe it's because I haven't dealt with extremely obnoxious potential buyers. If they're being extremely obnoxious, then I say ignore them, but if they're asking simple and reasonable questions and you left those little details out, then maybe you should be more understanding.

Well I hope you gained some useful advice from someone and good luck on your future sales!

[quote name='guinaevere']well, that is a valid point. But if the price someone gave me for a game was higher than in-store, I'd just not reply back. Unless they gave the impression that they were flexible and/or reasonable.

If they're asking $100 for something $20 in a store, that's the end.

I'm surprized no one here is interested in your DMC set with guides. That's a pretty popular title.[/quote]

I know, Gwen, but I have a bite from someone locally from CL, where I also posted it, along with my copies of HL 2(xbox) and a bunch of others.

I figure it's time to whittle down the collection and get rid of some of the stuff I doubt I'll ever play. The person I'm supposedly selling them to works for Pepsi and offered me cases of soda in trade, which wouldn't be too bad of a deal, if I drank that much soda anymore and I couldn't just get 5 12 packs for $10 around here as it is.

Now, if he offered cases of JOLT COLA, we might've had a deal. I love that stuff, though it's like $2.50 a can(looks more like a canister anymore) around here anymore, so I don't drink that that often either anymore.

I just have to go to my TL and mark the DMC set as pending out, so I won't get any bites on it on CAG now that I have a deal pending.

[quote name='cranguy']Then why sealed?[/quote]

Uhh since when does a parent purchase a USED item for their child on their birthday? You got to have some real cheap ass parents if they did that to you.

What's so bad about asking whether a game is sealed? It's not uncommon for people to advertise games as new when they're not. Case in point, there's a GameCube copy of Ikaruga on eBay right now, listed as New but with no further description. I asked the seller if it was actually sealed. "Well, I took the plastic off, but never ended up opening the case, so it's brand new and never been played even though the shrinkwrap is off." Yeah right buddy. I'm sure that you really unwrapped it but never played it. Of course I believe that you're not just trying to sell a used game for the price of a new one.

It pays to ask specific questions if you care about the condition.

bread's done
Back