[NOW LIVE] Free Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1(PC) Full Game Download From EA

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like free stuff, and in this case the free stuff is the original C&C: Red Alert for the PC. EA will be giving away C&C:RA this Sunday, which marks the 13th birthday for the Command & Conquer series. It will be made available on the Red Alert 3 website starting at 12 A.M. PST. I believe it will only be Sunday it's available for so you better jump on it.

This is fantastic for me because I loved RA but I lost my discs when I moved a few years ago. This makes me one VERY happy man.

Here's the original story on Kotaku.

UPDATE: It's live!!! Get your free download here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its on the RA website, and I think the OP mentioned it.

To burn the .ISO image, I just double clicked the file (I have Roxio Burning Software) and it burned the image to a disc.

Install the included patch and your good to play.

[quote name='Tee_Ken'] Instead, you get the folder with all of the installation files in it. [/QUOTE]

No you don't. You get folders with RA3 wallpapers, instructions, patch, and the ISO in them. :p

[quote name='Nogib']No you don't. You get folders with RA3 wallpapers, instructions, patch, and the ISO in them. :p[/quote]

you can extract the ISO with winrar and simply install from desktop. If you want to make discs you need a utility, just google for them. From memory theres a couple free ones, one i use mostly is called magic ISO but if memory serves the free trial has a size restriction, not sure if its good for the 500mb of each image.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Its on the RA website, and I think the OP mentioned it.

To burn the .ISO image, I just double clicked the file (I have Roxio Burning Software) and it burned the image to a disc.

Install the included patch and your good to play.[/quote]

okay i see it now, was mentioned in the kotaku link. Looks like a YMMV or exclusive to EAstore thing. In my opinion its no loss, RA 2 sucked.

If you plan to use physical discs for this, DON'T extract the .ISO file.

I used DiscJuggler to burn the ISOs straight to disc. Worked like a charm.

I've never played this game before, so this is a nice little welcome treat for me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Was there some compelling reason to use a RAR compression format instead of Zip (that every modern OS supports....)? At any rate, CNET's download.com had a free open source program I grabbed that decompressed it just fine. RARZilla I think it was called, but I just searched "RAR" on download.com. I got the "portable" version that doesn't install itself since I'm just using it to decompress these two files.

Was this a DOS game? I don't remember for 100% sure. Seems like it would have been Windows?

I'm assuming it would be an option to install this inside Virtual PC (which is free). It claims it isn't supported on XP Home or Vista Home Premium, but at least on XP it actually does. Seems like this might run inside VirtualPC just fine, with an older OS.

Oh, and thanks for posting about this! I missed it the first time. I don't know that I'll like it 'cause I didn't like C&C2 when I picked that up cheap a few years back, but hey.

Now I just need to track down some CD-Rs. I use them soooo infrequently that I'm not even sure if I have any, or where the are. (I bought a single back back in the 90's, and I'm still using it :D )[/quote]

They had DOS and Windows EXEs the windows one ran at 640x480 and dos at 320x200 if I remember correctly. You dont need to burn the disk just use daemon tools to mount the iso.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Was there some compelling reason to use a RAR compression format instead of Zip (that every modern OS supports....)? At any rate, CNET's download.com had a free open source program I grabbed that decompressed it just fine. RARZilla I think it was called, but I just searched "RAR" on download.com. I got the "portable" version that doesn't install itself since I'm just using it to decompress these two files.

Was this a DOS game? I don't remember for 100% sure. Seems like it would have been Windows?

I'm assuming it would be an option to install this inside Virtual PC (which is free). It claims it isn't supported on XP Home or Vista Home Premium, but at least on XP it actually does. Seems like this might run inside VirtualPC just fine, with an older OS.

Oh, and thanks for posting about this! I missed it the first time. I don't know that I'll like it 'cause I didn't like C&C2 when I picked that up cheap a few years back, but hey.

Now I just need to track down some CD-Rs. I use them soooo infrequently that I'm not even sure if I have any, or where the are. (I bought a single back back in the 90's, and I'm still using it :D )[/quote]
Keep in mind that most games don't like to be run in any sort of virtual machine. I really wouldn't expect it to work. Also, my roommate got it running just fine in a copy of XP, and I personally have the game running in Vista Ultimate, with no problems.

i don't know if the download version is any different, but I have my original copy of Red Alert running under Vista32 Ultimate.

Here is what I did...

1. do not autorun the disc. change the compatibility mode for setup.exe to Windows 95.

2. go through the install.. do not have it install DirectX or Westwood Chat

3. after the install, download the latest patch from EA..(search for it... im too lazy). Copy the downloaded file to the install directory and execute it. It's a self extracting zip archive... so then you need to execute the newly created patch.exe

4. assuming the patch succeeds, set the main game exe to Windows 95 compatibility mode and that should be it. it should automatically set the screen resolution to 640x480 and color depth to 256. if not, you can check those boxes under the compatibility tab as well.

that's it. Now, if anyone figures out a way to run it in a window,.. please post because with a 22" monitor I need some more pixel density :lol:

I extracted the folder I downloaded, then I burned the ISO file to a cd. I noticed there was no setup or install available anywhere. So then I found out I could extract the ISO file on the desktop, so I did and install, setup, and other files emerged on the desktop. I clicked them (with ISO cd in disc drive), but the install and setup froze the computer. Do I need to burn all the extracted files from the ISO folder (including the setup and install files) onto the cd, so that it contains them and the ISO file for it to work? Help!!!

[quote name='J7.']I extracted the folder I downloaded, then I burned the ISO file to a cd. I noticed there was no setup or install available anywhere. So then I found out I could extract the ISO file on the desktop, so I did and install, setup, and other files emerged on the desktop. I clicked them (with ISO cd in disc drive), but the install and setup froze the computer. Do I need to burn all the extracted files from the ISO folder (including the setup and install files) onto the cd, so that it contains them and the ISO file for it to work? Help!!![/quote]
Whoa whoa there. slow down.
1) Extract the RAR file (looks like you got that down)
2) Extracted from the RAR should be some folders including some wallpaper, a patch, and the ISO file. And here is where I think you may be having difficulties in your understanding of the ISO file. An ISO file is basically a copy of an entire CD as a single file - commonly called an "image". The ISO contains information of all files on the original CD including the original files, the CD's title, CD-TEXT, etc. If you just put that file itself on a CD, you haven't really done anything except moved the ISO file. You need to use a special function of your burning software to burn the ISO. This tells the burning software "hey this is an exact copy of an old cd, burn this cd-r exactly like this old one." This will effectively take a blank CD-R and turn it into a duplicate of the original CD that EA made the ISO from. Now when you insert the newly burned CD into your drive it will act just like the original CD would have behaved.

There are various ways you can do this, so here are two free ones:
ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
ImgBurn is a lightweight burning software that will burn ISOs as well as other cd images but it won't do much else.

CDBurnerXP: http://cdburnerxp.se/
CDBurnerXP is a full-featured burning program that will allow you to make audio cds, data cds, and burn CD images of many types including ISOs.

I've used both of these personally and recommend both. The former is very lightweight and does what it's supposed to. The 2nd is my burning software of choice.

I'll be happy to take this to PM if you need more info but there is one more bit that concerns me. You stated that you extracted the files and when you tried to run them it locked up your computer. I seriously doubt RA had any kind of copy protection on it and I can't think of any reason why it would lock up on you just because you copied it to your harddrive. That being said, I can't say the same thing won't happen if you burn the ISO properly.

bread's done
Back