now you never have to leave the house for exercise...Official Wii Sports thread!!

A

Apossum

Noticed we didn't have an official thread yet...

what are your favorite games so far.

this is how I'd rank them:

1. Boxing. holy shit is this fun. I don't see why reviewers were knocking it! Great stress relief!

2. Tennis

3. Bowling

4. Baseball...haven't quite got the hang of it.

--haven't tried golf yet

My forearm hurts.

My cousin and I played Wii Tennis for about 7-8 hours last night and we almost hit pro level. About 100 points left to 1000! It really is a blast.

1. Bowling
2. Baseball
3. Boxing
4. Tennis
5. Golf

Bowling is a TON of fun. Just bowled a 170 :)

Bowling is absolutely stellar. We also liked boxing and golf. Baseball was ok, but man is pitching dull. Hitting is fun, though. Tennis to me was "eh."

RD

[quote name='captaincold']Wasn't there 2 "hidden" aerobics style games in this game?[/quote]
No, there's just a Fitness Age thing where it has you go through a few tasks in a few of the sports and gives you your Fitness Age. The other is just basically a set of challenges (three per sport) that you unlock by just completing them, but there's medals and high scores to be won there.

My thoughts on the sports:

Tennis - Fun, but I want to pick my doubles partner in single-player instead of having two copies of myself.

Baseball - Fun, but I'd like to be able to pick my lineup.

Bowling - The best of all of the sports. I like how the ball does spin/react to how much or how little I spin it when I release. Minigames are awesome for this.

Golf - Worst of them all. Trying to swing for the right amount of power can be very hard.

Boxing - Hilariously fun. I seem to be able to low blow more than I should, but it's just the sport to play if you and your friends need a pick-me-up.

Tennis is awesome. As a tennis player, I can actually feel like I'm playing tennis. Not that it mimics me completely, but it's close enough where I feel immersed to that extent.

Bowling is my fiancee's favorite, but she also enjoys golf. I think tennis and bowling are the most true-to-life. We had a really hard time with hitting in baseball (I won 1-0 in our first game), but it has potential once we get that down.

Boxing is also excellent. Took my fiancee a little while to realize she was holding the controls wrong (straight out instead of in clenched fists), then she was able to get me down once.

It really is a shame that they didn't make this game internet enabled, would love to play in a huge tournament of bowling. It could be the video game version of Kingpin lol

I'm loving Wii Sports, even if it is a "tech demo". It's definitely been played the most out of the 4 games we have so far.

Tennis - Awesome. Definitely my favorite so far. Been playing doubles co-op with my bf mostly. It's so simple and fun, it's almost kind of relaxing to play, despite the movements.
Baseball - Ehhh, not really into it. My bf and I got bored of it pretty quick (probably doesn't help that we're no into baseball).
Bowling - Pretty decent. We're still trying to get the hang of it, and we keep thinking our Mii characters are trying to bowl with their boobs or something.
Golf - I find golf and golf games in general pretty boring, so it was no different here. But my bf's brother (who's into golf and not a gamer) LOVED it. He played a 9-hole game with one of his friends that involved a lot of shouting and cursing; he was totally into it. (His friend's wife was bored out of her mind watching them tho.)
Boxing - A lot of fun, but really tiring.

I agree, I don't see why so many people knocked boxing? It may not be 100% responsive to EVERY punch you throw, but it's a hell of a lot more accurate in that department than any game I've ever experienced. It's so much fun. I suck, though.

I didn't like bowling too much yesterday, but today I've been playing it with one of my brother's friends, and I'm starting to get just how true to life it is (spinning, aiming, all of that). It's a BLAST and a half.

Baseball is awesome. I love it. I'm not even a baseball fan at all, and I LOVE this. I can't wait until we get a full game that plays somewhat like this. I'm so glad we don't have to control the outfield and all of that, though - this is all I need.

Golf is alright, but I overswing every time. Still trying to get used to it, but I suspect it'll always be my least favorite of the Wii Sports games.

Tennis is fun. I have not totally gotten it yet (does your actual swing affect what happens to the ball aimwise, or is it more about the POWER and TIMING of your swing with the aim being automatic?) but it's fun - I will devote more time to it.

Talk about an awesome pack-in. For all of the whining people did about it being there, holy cow, I'm going to get a LOT of time out of this game. What fun.

I'm stuck waiting for my gf and cousin to stop playing Wii bowling so that I can get on Red Steel. It's a blast to play and I can't wait to get extra controllers for more madness! This is what I think so far...

Bowling - the best game on Wii Sports. It's so accurate and very realistic. The controls are awesome. It was what I was looking forward to initially.

Tennis - also very fun. It's great trying to pretend being a tennis star without all the running.

Baseball - I suck... I've hit one homerun and like... two singles through 4 games. My gf is kicking my ass here. The variety of pitches are good enough to keep it fresh.

Golf - It's okay... I was never into golf games though.

Boxing - I don't get it. I can't hit the other person DAMMIT!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've found boxing to be pretty unresponsive. Baseball is tons of fun, pitching is a little wonky though. I CANNOT wait for a full-fledged baseball game. Bowling is a blast, my mom will definitely play it.

Must get another Wiimote...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Tennis is broke. Its fun, but if you hit a sharp angled cross court shot, and you do it right, its like an instant winner every time.[/quote]That's pretty much every tennis video game I've ever played, unfortunately. Otherwise you'd never beat the AI.

Ok, I have yet to figure out how to throw anything but a fastball in Baseball. I also wish you could play singles in Tennis (did I overlook something?). Oh yeah, and golf is extremely frustrating. All of that aside I love Wii Sports. Don't know if I would have shelled out $50 for it if it was spereate but I'm glad I have it.

Baloras

[quote name='baloras']Ok, I have yet to figure out how to throw anything but a fastball in Baseball. I also wish you could play singles in Tennis (did I overlook something?). Oh yeah, and golf is extremely frustrating. All of that aside I love Wii Sports. Don't know if I would have shelled out $50 for it if it was spereate but I'm glad I have it.

Baloras[/QUOTE]

To throw a curve, just spin your wrist. Dont recommend it cuz they destroy curves. They cant hit my 97 mph fastball though :)

BTW, just bowled a 201 in bowling :)

[quote name='baloras']Ok, I have yet to figure out how to throw anything but a fastball in Baseball. I also wish you could play singles in Tennis (did I overlook something?). Oh yeah, and golf is extremely frustrating. All of that aside I love Wii Sports. Don't know if I would have shelled out $50 for it if it was spereate but I'm glad I have it.

Baloras[/quote]

You have to hold down A, B, or A&B while pitching to throw different kinds of pitches. (Although the Wii Sports manual has the wrong pitches listed...)

Bowling
Tennis
Baseball
Golf
Boxing

I loved bowling, I bowl just like I do in real life. Tennis was fun as well. I actually had a lot of fun with baseball, though pitching is really boring. Golf, it was very hard for me to get the strength correctly.

Boxing, it was fun and quite a work out but it seemed very unresponsive and overall very random. They added blocking and dodging, but neither seemed very useful and whoever threw the most punches usually got lucky enough that they won in the end. It was a blast though, and I imagine I will use it whenever I need the excercise ;)

Weird, I havent had any problems with boxing.

I love bowling though. It does nothing, but I like throwing the ball into the next lane. Cant remember another bowling game that let you do that

I love socking a few dingers! Baseball fucking rules!

Bowling is pretty fun, although it's a tad too easy. I bowl like three times a year, and I can either get a strike or spare in every frame.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Weird, I havent had any problems with boxing.

I love bowling though. It does nothing, but I like throwing the ball into the next lane. Cant remember another bowling game that let you do that[/quote]
That's pretty cool.

When I was doing that lane-blocking challenge, I knocked the pin from one lane into the gutter of the lane to the right. It stayed there for at least the next few lanes until I was too far away to see it.

So I have played a couple of the Wii games so far and really like them. Zelda is amazing, Excitetruck is fun as well as monkey ball and trauma center. But seriously I hate Wii Sports. Also I really love sports so it's not as if I hate sports or anything. Let me know guys, cause I hate this thing.

[quote name='Scrubsy']Ban now[/QUOTE]

knee-jerk reaction much?

Its not like this is just a blind anti-Nintendo post, he's just not impressed with the pack-in game. Personally, I'm not a fan of the thread title but is that worthy of a ban? Nah.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']knee-jerk reaction much?

Its not like this is just a blind anti-Nintendo post, he's just not impressed with the pack-in game. Personally, I'm not a fan of the thread title but is that worthy of a ban? Nah.[/quote]
Yes,ban

I love it. I've played it more than anything else by far. Haven't opened Zelda, played Red Steel for about 90 minutes. Although I plan to wait to play Zelda until I can give it the 12 hours straight it deserves on Wednesday/Thurs

Yeah, I love the Wii. I love Nintendo, I just hate wii sports and was wondering if anyone else had the same feelings that I did about the game.

Wii Sports rocks my socks! I'm amazed at how much fun it is! Been totally killin' boxing. Undefeated over here, never even been knocked down! Call me Iron Scobie!

[quote name='evanft']Ignore list +1.[/QUOTE]

You love to announce when you ignore someone.

I don't like it either, I wouldn't have paid more than 10 for it. I guess that's why they included it

[quote name='Michaellvortega'][quote name='derder']I don't like it either, I wouldn't have paid more than 10 for it. I guess that's why they made you buy it for $29 if you directly convert yen to dollars, which isn't entirely accurate.[/quote]fixed[/quote]Fixed more better. ;)

On topic, yes, you are alone on this.

[quote name='Apossum']You love to announce when you ignore someone.[/QUOTE]

I didn't actually ignore him, I was just riding the "Be a dick to this guy" bandwagon. Woot woot!!!!

I'm hating Wii Sports so far.... lame tech demo IMO. In bowling, the ball always curves left, no matter what the fuck I do. Boxing is way off, baseball is a pain because you have to hit perfect, tennis is ok, and golf would be the only one I can get to work near 100% of the time.

The only gripe I have with Wii Sports is in Tennis, they shouldve utilized the nunchuck so that you control the player moving around, as opposed to it automatically moving the guy, besides that the game is great, and a nice taste of what the wii remote can do

I love Wii sports, easy and fun. Yes it's a glorified tech demo, but at least Nintendo did a pack in this time. As a plus Wii Sports is getting my girlfriend to try the system out, so how could I hate that game?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm hating Wii Sports so far.... lame tech demo IMO. In bowling, the ball always curves left, no matter what the fuck I do. Boxing is way off, baseball is a pain because you have to hit perfect, tennis is ok, and golf would be the only one I can get to work near 100% of the time.[/quote]The ball only curves left in bowling if your hand tilts to the left, which most people will do. You can most definitely straighten it out, I can even make it curve right if I want to. I think the problem with boxing is that you want to punch really quickly, but it isn't that responsive. Agreed on baseball, but tennis is awesome. Just played it again in the Wii fitness regimen, and I can pretend I'm actually practicing tennis.

^ Yup on bowling. All you have to do is turn your wrist and swing properly, as in real bowling, and you can make it go right, straight, OR left. It's just that going left is the easier and most natural way to spin it from the right hand.

Anyway, golf is the only game I'm not feeling too much, but the rest? I love them. Awesome pack-in.

[quote name='bjschre']I love Wii sports, easy and fun. Yes it's a glorified tech demo, but at least Nintendo did a pack in this time. As a plus Wii Sports is getting my girlfriend to try the system out, so how could I hate that game?[/quote]

I second that. Wii sports is getting my fiancee to actually play gaming, so on that account I'll give it an A+

bread's done
Back