Nvidia/AMD GPU Re-stock Thread

SlaughterX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (90%)
I honestly don't want to manage this thread...  but I do think this forum would benefit from a thread that keeps people up to date on GPU restocks like the PS5 and Series X threads (but hopefully with less bickering).

Anyway I finally just received my RTX 3070, which I had to buy a whole prebuild HP OMEN 25L just to get.  Took almost 2 months but it finally got here today and the first thing I did was take out out of the OMEN and threw it in my custom build, which is a few years old, but still has a better CPU than the Ryzen 5 3500 that came with it.

It seems like the best way of scoring a card these days is through a prebuilt computer.  Right now it doesn't appear that HP has anything better than the 3060ti, which is still a pretty damn good card for the money.

Funny you mention the 1060, the R9 290X seems to perform about 10% or so short of the 1060 so it's in the same ballpark.

As for the power supply question I think you'd really be pushing it, but it may work. If possible I'd recommend being able to return the GPU in case it doesn't work.

I just plugged things in here (290X wasn't listed so I used 390X, basically the same card - on that note if you can find a 390X for the same price/8GB instead of 4GB go for that instead)
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

It came out to about 487 watts. If you assume they're adding in a little overhead then I think you may be able to swing it.

Another thing worth noting about the 290X/390X is that while I think it's a decent stopgap card for the current market (it hits the intersection of old-ish, powerful-ish, and not-as-well-known-ish), AMD considers this card legacy now and future problems won't be fixed. The last driver update for it was within the last month or so, so cutting off support is very recent. However, if some new game comes out and has an issue that isn't solved generically (ie, is specific to this card) it probably won't get fixed. Everything that's already out should be pretty much fine though.
Thank you for your detail explanation. In the long term, it seems R9 390C is not a good card because they don’t have support anymore …My desktop PSU is only 500W which limits many choices of the GPU. 487W seems too close to my 500W power supply …the nivida cards seems saving more watts when I try to put 1050 or 1650 and it only takes around 387W. AMD cards takes more energy ….right now, where do you recommend to buy graphic cards ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your detail explanation. In the long term, it seems R9 390C is not a good card because they don’t have support anymore …My desktop PSU is only 500W which limits many choices of the GPU. 487W seems too close to my 500W power supply …the nivida cards seems saving more watts when I try to put 1050 or 1650 and it only takes around 387W. AMD cards takes more energy ….right now, where do you recommend to buy graphic cards ?
The 1660 might be a good one to keep an eye on too, recommended power supply is 450w.

Just for the record as an aside, the difference in energy usage in this comparison is just because the 290X is a few years older (but higher end at the time) than 1060 (2014 vs 2016). Their current RDNA 2 GPU's (RX 6000 series) are very competitive on energy usage.. it's just a question of finding one. Unfortunately I'm not sure of a good place aside from pre-builts, just like the rest of the thread so I'll stop rambling now :D

I can't help you locating one, but the pre-built HP I bought with a 400W PSU is running a GTX 1650 Super, Ryzen 5 3500, 2 SSD, 2 case fans and upgraded CPU with no issues. The 1650 Super is an excellent card for running games at 1080p. Only the most demanding open world games or games requiring 6GB+ of memory require me to reduce certain settings from Ultra down to High and still hit 45-60fps without much trouble. I'm shocked at how well the card can run games. I am VERY pleased with it.

I received notification from EVGA yesterday and ordered RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra 10GB LHR version for $964 including tax and shipping.  Should I keep it or sell it and buy 3080 Ti?  My Monitor is Samsung 49 inch super ultra wide support 5120x1440p 120mhz or I can use my 75 inch Samsung QLED TV for 4k 60fps option.

Do you HAVE a source for a 3080Ti?  I think the general feeling was that the 3080Ti wasn't a significant upgrade for the price difference but, if you can swing it, knock yourself out.

i have entered the newegg shuffle everytime for like the last few weeks, no wins; but fun to "play the GPU lottery".     its like double lottery; you play the lottery for chance to buy; then you play the regular "silicon" lottery on performance.  = )

I broke down and just went with a prebuilt. I wanted an AMD processor build but I thought this was a decent deal considering my PC is about 10 years old and I also got $120 back with my amex card. I will probably have to change a few stuff out if I need to upgrade later:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15153088-dell-xps-8940-se-desktop-i7-11700-16gb-ddr4-512gb-ssd-rtx-2060-super-1-100-or-less-w-sd-cashback-free-s-h#commentsBox

Anyone know where I can get a good deal for Microsoft Office 2019?
Amazon has it for $25 off

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Student-Windows-Download/dp/B07H4XBM1R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=microsoft+office+2019&qid=1626484609&sr=8-3

You can buy an office key on Ebay for like $3.

If you really want to support Microsoft then you can buy a retail copy for full price. 

That's a big saving. I remembered we could get the official product for about $15 with my workplace discount but it stopped with Office 365 subscription plan.

I did that once and got locked out of it after about a month, good way to waste money and support scammers I guess.
Gotta be smart about where you buy it. I've bought a number of keys around the $7-$10 mark and they worked fine. The $3 keys on eBay or AliExpress, etc I assume are just sketchy cracks. That said, you can buy a lot of $3 keys for what it'd cost to buy a retail copy of any MS product and almost certainly find a working one well before you hit even.

I don't need it, but the chance to get a 3060 at retail is tempting to swing by after work and see how bad the line is.

anyone go to Best Buy for the 30 cards this morning/last night?   I was going to go but my schedule wouldn't allow for it.

anyone go to Best Buy for the 30 cards this morning/last night? I was going to go but my schedule wouldn't allow for it.
There was a lot more than 30 unless you're specifically tlaking about 1 card but no I didn't go since ppl were lining up at 2 pm pst yesterday

Were there any Founder's edition 3080s in store yesterday?

Apparently there were but you had to be in line for quite a few hours (some reports were 12 to 24 hours) to have had a chance at them.
Thought about it. But the way things have been going here in Minneapolis lately I wouldn't want to get robbed or shot while waiting in line overnight by myself.

Hoping that Best Buy will do some web drops again at some point, but not feeling optimistic anymore.
They had a drop exactly two weeks ago so there's a chance they could have a drop today. Seems like they do their online drops just about every two weeks (pay close attention if they're also dropping PS5 and Series X, since GPUs often follow). The only problem is they only sell the third party cards online now, and even though BB doesn't mark them up they're still pretty dang expensive.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I figured I'd post this. I won a MSI 3070ti Gaming X Trio a few weeks ago in the shuffle. A day or two later I landed a 3080ti so I've no use for the 3070ti anymore. I've offered it to a few folks locally at MSRP but no takers. I'm probably going to return it but before I do I figured I'd post here and see if anyone is interested. All I'm asking is MSRP+tax/shipping, but it is an expensive card, so...just send me a PM if interested.

Edit: It has found a home.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I figured I'd post this. I won a MSI 3070ti Gaming X Trio a few weeks ago in the shuffle. A day or two later I landed a 3080ti so I've no use for the 3070ti anymore. I've offered it to a few folks locally at MSRP but no takers. I'm probably going to return it but before I do I figured I'd post here and see if anyone is interested. All I'm asking is MSRP+tax/shipping, but it is an expensive card, so...just send me a PM if interested.

Edit: It has found a home.
Good on you for being a true CAGer. I'm keeping my eye out for one, glad to know those shuffle's actually work sometimes.

Wish they would fix their online order setup so we actually have a chance to get them that way. I am too old to sit outside for hours waiting for a video card.

If you're in the EVGA queues, you may have gotten an email that they are restricting the queues to two queue slots per person.  If you have more slots than that, you need to either remove ones you don't want or, on October 11th, it will just assume the two oldest slots are the ones you're keeping.  EVGA suggests selecting "Ultra" cards (FTW or XC3 Ultra models) and not picking the hybrid/water models as those are much slower to be produced.

If you're wondering, these models have seen the most queue movement lately and are likely being prioritized for production: 3987, 3967, 3897, 3797, 3767 and maybe 3953.

If you're not already in the queue, too late -- they've closed it up until the current queue is fulfilled.

Best buy had nvidia 30 gpus drop online last thurs or fri. Pickup store only. Went fast couldnt get any. Stealth drop ; like the way it should be

Nvidia might be releasing a new 3080 12gb model in Nov/Dec.
The refresh is probably for mobile cards only so I wouldn't put much hope in it for desktop cards.

My final card out of the EVGA queue, a 3070Ti, is expected to come in the next day or two. EVGA really was the best way to get a card if you could get into the queues early. Got five cards (3060, 3070, 3070Ti and two 3080Tis) plus another 3080Ti I let pass via the queue.

bread's done
Back