o dang Henry Hatsworth! puzzle / platform hybrid

It really is a great game.

The platformer part is not as easy as I anticipated. The frequent switch to puzzle mode keeps your brain active. This game is great for those that need help in multi-tasking.

For anyone on the fence, this game is WELL WORTH its $30 pricetag. (I also have been having fun with GTA Chinatown Wars, also well worth the price.)

Actually, the platform to puzzle part is a lot more seamless than I expected it to be.

The first time I saw the gameplay vids, I thought to myself, "what the-?", but in practice, you just do what you need to do. I agree that it's a nice brain candy to chew on, and a good companion to a game like Prof. Layton, which requires a different kind of thinking.

I feel the change between the two is easier than I'd expected (a good thing). I think it's because the puzzle element is relatively simple and reminds me a lot of Tetris Attack (fuck you, bejeweled).

I have a question. I noticed that after I defeated the bosses of the first two areas (I'm now in the third world), I can't go back and fight them again. This sucks because I had the volume turned down during the second boss fight, and I've heard the music is part of the experience.

Any clues on how to fight bosses again without starting a new game? Do I have to beat the game?

[quote name='bluesyncopate']I have a question. I noticed that after I defeated the bosses of the first two areas (I'm now in the third world), I can't go back and fight them again. This sucks because I had the volume turned down during the second boss fight, and I've heard the music is part of the experience.

Any clues on how to fight bosses again without starting a new game? Do I have to beat the game?[/quote]
I'm not sure about how you can fight them again, but you can get the soundtrack from the official site.

Just go here: http://www.henryhatsworth.com/en_us/home.action

And click on the downloads tab.

I'm through the first 3 worlds and I'm really liking the game. Funny thing is, I don't really know why. It's certainly not breaking any new grounds but I guess it has just enough polish to keep me going.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure about how you can fight them again . . . [/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the soundtrack.

It does kind of suck that you can't replay the boss fights. I have found the boss fights to be highlights of the game, and the idea of starting a character from scratch on a different save slot just to play them "one more time" seems ridiculous. While overall I'd say the design of this game is just about perfect, but that is a very glaring oversight.

If anyone finds out a way to replay boss fights without starting from scratch, let me know.

Wow this game gets hard at the end. The last two worlds are pretty much full of instant deaths that have you falling into a pit as soon as you are hit by anything. A lot of frustration for me now and not the kind where I feel rewarded at the end. Slogging through world 5 but I don't know if I will make it to the end.

Yeah, if each level weren't 3-4 screens worth of levels and the only checkpoints are for beating each screen, it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, if each level weren't 3-4 screens worth of levels and the only checkpoints are for beating each screen, it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've given up after 5-2. The game just becomes trial and error with one hit kills all over the place. No longer fun. Oh well, I enjoyed most of what I played.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yeah, I've given up after 5-2. The game just becomes trial and error with one hit kills all over the place. No longer fun. Oh well, I enjoyed most of what I played.[/quote]

I found 5-1 the hardest. Those powerful axe guys, the two ambush rooms, and the numerous pits made for one frustrating level.

5-3 was pretty easy. The second "room" is a vertical one, so if you fall, you just land a floor below.

Keep at it. You're almost there!

Arg, I've been wondering why this hasn't shipped from TRU the day they had their $10 coupon. Turns out I never placed the order, and it was still sitting in my cart :bomb:

I ended up getting it last night, and it really surprised me. The game is much more fun than I thought. Well worth the $30.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I ended up getting it last night, and it really surprised me. The game is much more fun than I thought. Well worth the $30.[/QUOTE]

Let us know what you think when you get to world 4 or 5.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Let us know what you think when you get to world 4 or 5.[/QUOTE]

It does get really hard, but it's not that big a problem. I don't know WHY it suddenly gets so hard, but I didn't get it when Yoshi's Island DS got really hard all of a sudden.

The game could definitely be refined, but it's so "charming" to me that I can look past it. I'm looking forward to this dev's next game.

How long does it last? My sister is giving me her DS Lite seeing as she doesn't play it anymore. So I'm thinking rather then buying a few games to start off with and not giving all my games the proper love I'm going to keep my backlog down by only buying one game at a time and making sure I beat everything. Just want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth though. So how many hours?

Reality's Fringe;5701500]It does get really hard said:
I found it to be a problem. I was enjoying the hell out of the game early on, then as it got harder still enjoying it....then it became Mega Man difficult with stupid pit traps and crap and I havnt touched it in 2 weeks.....

[quote name='MSI Magus']I found it to be a problem. I was enjoying the hell out of the game early on, then as it got harder still enjoying it....then it became Mega Man difficult with stupid pit traps and crap and I havnt touched it in 2 weeks.....[/quote]

I agree. I gave up on the game during world 5. It just wasn't fun anymore because of the difficulty. I can't think of any other DS game I've played that got this difficult, it should have had an "easy" difficulty setting or something.

$20 used at gamestop,then use 10% coupon and edge to get it cheaper, if you want to buy used of course. I like it so far.

omg! finally FINALLY started playing today!!

I'm fashionably late to my own party! lol.

the action part is great, Henry man controls real tight so I like that.

not mind blowingly great tho... it's definitely no Ninja 5-0 or Drill Dozer.

the puzzle mode is freakin bootleg tho... but I only feel that way coz I take Tetris Attack as serious as I do Street Fighter.

still... it works well and accomplishes what it needs to. There's really no benefit in breaking the bottom screen anyways lol.

overall... I played thru the whole first world and definitely loving it all.

So far, I've played through the first world. Pretty damn fun. I keep forgetting about the lower screen until I see the red flashing on the bottom of the top screen, though. Working on that.

A bunch of concept art has recently been posted on Offworld. The art spans the whole game, so some might consider them a bit of a spoiler. Just fair warning. LINK

Also, I can only imagine that Evil Ben Franklin would have been an awesome adversary.

[quote name='eugaet']So far, I've played through the first world. Pretty damn fun. I keep forgetting about the lower screen until I see the red flashing on the bottom of the top screen, though. Working on that.

A bunch of concept art has recently been posted on Offworld. The art spans the whole game, so some might consider them a bit of a spoiler. Just fair warning. LINK

Also, I can only imagine that Evil Ben Franklin would have been an awesome adversary.[/quote]

I wish this would go on sale for like $10-$15 already. I want to play this pretty badly, but not $30 badly. :bomb:

the stages in this game are all real long tho.

if you do the whole price to game length proportion thingy... the game is actually worth a lot more than $30

whooo! beat it!!

honestly... not very hard at all.

got damn gamers these days... smh for realz.

-EDIT-

read back a few pages and whaaaaaaat there are secret levels?!?!

I wont be putting this away so soon then.

I finished today as well but I'll sort of disagree on difficulty. Some parts of the game **** you over for no reason at all except to piss you off like an old-school Mega Man game. I started dying a lot more late World 2 or early World 3 but stopped dying frequently early World 4. The final boss would have been very manageable except for one part...
the wall crush from the sides (no spikes). I was only able to pass that part because I finally caught a break and had all the orbs on the bottom. How the hell do you hit the orb when it's high up on the wall? I never did try jumping over it...

you're supposed to use your projectile attacks in that situation.

I cant believe so many ppl have a hard time with that o_O

[quote name='JEKKI']you're supposed to use your projectile attacks in that situation.

I cant believe so many ppl have a hard time with that o_O[/QUOTE]

Well it's not like in Mega Man where you can hug the wall and shoot at the same time. You have to jump off it and shoot. You had to climb up quickly and find out which side it was on as well and if it was on the same side I don't think they give you enough time to get enough projectile hits in.

u dont need a lot of projectile hits... you can jump off and shoot one or 2, and catch yourself back onto the wall easily,

furthermore dont forget... the bullets power up when u go into puzzle mode mid-trajectory. It's jus another one of the many useful tools that ppl overlook in the game.

I know that works with the bombs and boomerang but I didn't notice it working for the regular weapon. I beat the game already so tips aren't needed ;)

I had purchased all the upgrades and found all the missing Golden items before I completed it. I probably won't be playing through it again on the harder difficulty.

I got this for my sister for her birthday, she's loving it. I got her peggle also- and I think she might like this even more than peggle!

Been addicted to this game for the past week or so, and world 5 is kicking my ass. The secret levels are pretty insane, as well. I almost gave up on 5-1... we'll see how long I last. Of course, I beat Mega Man 9, so I definitely have the patience for a hard platformer. Honestly, parts of this game might even be harder than MM9, especially since I still have at least 5 stages to go.

I've only just made it to world 4 myself, but so far this game has absolutely exceeded my expectations in every way. Actually that's true of almost every DS game I've played this year so far. I can't believe we're only 4 months in, and I've got Retro Game Challenge, Dragon Quest V, and Henry Hatsworth all in the running already for DS game of the year IMO.

On the difficulty, I think it's been perfect so far. The boss of World 3 took me a few tries, but nothing that made me frustrated yet. Of course I'm apparently not at the part where the game gets unfairly hard. I don't know, I have a lot of patience for difficult games. A lot of people claim Mega Man 9 was too hard, but I thought the difficulty on that one was fine.

IMO world 3 is the hardest...

the rest of the stages are only difficult for being very lengthy more so than being tough... 5-5 takes like an hour o_O

I think you're right. The boss of World 3 was much harder than the boss of World 4. I'm up to 5-5 now. I will admit things start getting tricky in world 5.

5-4 got crazy at times, but since I still finished that level without dieing even once, I definitely can't say it was too hard. If anything, the difficulty level is perfect. I wish there were more games like this these days, most games now are far too easy. One thing I really like about these later levels is that the game forces you to use the puzzle wisely. More than once I've tried to hold off using the robot as much as I could, and then took one hit too many and had to build back up to him again.

I think the majority of the complaints are coming from the combination of enemies doing a lot of damage, and checkpoints being fairly far apart. Because of that, if you die it does feel like you have to redo a lot of stuff, and you can't rush it or you'll just die again.

Finally beat it a few days ago. Quite challenging but nothing impossible. Can't recommend this game enough! I'd seek out some of the secret levels, but my girlfriend already stole it from me so she could play.

Just beat world 4. Seems like the 4-6 boss was easier than the earlier boss in world 4.

Great game, from the comments I have seen I was expecting it to be harder than it is so far. World 4 was challenging but not frustrating, just right for me so far.

Anyone notice Cole sounds an awful lot like Toad, lol.

Finally got it around to picking this game up, and I got to say it is pretty damn fun.

bread's done
Back