Obama declares support for gay marriage

[quote name='UncleBob']Except, of course, I've already provided an actual court case that shows this to be incorrect.[/QUOTE]
The US is not New Jersey.

And hey look! New York has a different opinion!

http://www.nyclu.org/marriage-faq#12
Can a church or member of the clergy refuse to marry me and my partner?
Yes. Although the Marriage Equality Act guarantees that the right to civil marriage extends to same-sex couples, it does not require churches or ministers to perform religious marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples. However, more and more religious institutions are allowing their clergy to marry same-sex couples, so it will depend on the institution.

New Jersey is, last time I checked, in the US.

And I don't think anyone is arguing about if a member of the church would be required to perform services. We're discussing the rental of the church facilities.

Which may be covered by your very same link:

Can a private business, such as a florist or photography studio, refuse to provide a service for my wedding because I am marrying a person of the same sex?

Absolutely not. Anti-discrimination laws in New York forbid discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and marital status. Nothing in the Marriage Equality Act changes this. The Marriage Equality Act does not permit a business that provides goods or services to the public, such as a florist or photography studio, to engage in discrimination that has been illegal in New York for years—regardless of the religious beliefs of a business owner or employee.

But, it doesn't matter much, as your link isn't really to any kind of actual court case - it's on the NYCLU's interpretation of the law.

Do you have an example case in New York where a couple was denied the rental of church facilities and it went to court?

I'm fairly certain that a church, as a private business and institution, can decline to rent its facilities to anyone based on pretty much any reason at all much in the same way that Augusta National Country Club can restrict membership to males only. You're going to sign a contract with the church in question to rent or lease their building, and they're not required to lease to you if your views are not in line with theirs. It's somewhat of a gray area (in that if they receive public funding or grants, they're considered a public place), but in the grand scheme of things, they're not required to rent to anyone.

Source: my own knowledge of booking concerts in church halls.

[quote name='JJSP']I'm fairly certain that a church, as a private business and institution, can decline to rent its facilities to anyone based on pretty much any reason at all much in the same way that Augusta National Country Club can restrict membership to males only. You're going to sign a contract with the church in question to rent or lease their building, and they're not required to lease to you if your views are not in line with theirs. It's somewhat of a gray area (in that if they receive public funding or grants, they're considered a public place), but in the grand scheme of things, they're not required to rent to anyone.

Source: my own knowledge of booking concerts in church halls.[/QUOTE]

I've cited one court case that disagrees with this.

Please feel free to provide others.

A common misconception is that a business can decline service "for any reason". While this *should* be the case, it's not.

[quote name='UncleBob']New Jersey is, last time I checked, in the US.[/quote]
No shit, Sherlock. The point that you so typically ignored is that laws in NJ don't universally apply to other states. If LGBT's were a federally protected class, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

And I don't think anyone is arguing about if a member of the church would be required to perform services. We're discussing the rental of the church facilities.

Which may be covered by your very same link:

But, it doesn't matter much, as your link isn't really to any kind of actual court case - it's on the NYCLU's interpretation of the law.

Do you have an example case in New York where a couple was denied the rental of church facilities and it went to court?
Most places would be smart enough to give excuses that fly under the radar for these things. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

[quote name='UncleBob']I've cited one court case that disagrees with this.

Please feel free to provide others.

A common misconception is that a business can decline service "for any reason". While this *should* be the case, it's not.[/QUOTE]
In the case with the boardwalk in NJ, here's the specific wording from the ruling.

"The pavilion was used for community and charitable events and the owners of the property, Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association, received a tax exemption from the state Green Acres program, which provides exemptions to non-profit organizations who use their property for recreational or conservation purposes. An important condition of the exemption is that the property be “open for public use on an equal basis.”"

http://www.aclu-nj.org/news/2012/01...vor-of-same-sex-couple-in-discrimination-case

"In July 1989 respondent applied for a Green Acres real-estate tax exemption for
Lot 1, Block 1.01, which includes the Pavilion and the adjacent boardwalk and beach
area. The application describes the area as public in nature. The Green Acres program
is designed to preserve open space and the statutory scheme authorizes a tax
exemption for non-profit corporations utilizing property for conservation or recreational
purposes. One condition of the exemption is that the property be “open for public use
on an equal basis,” N.J.S.A. 54:4-3.66; N.J.A.C. 7:35-1.4(a)(2)."

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/OGCMA-BernsteinRuling.pdf

My understanding (and I'm no lawyer, but I think only Javery is here) is that because the church applied for a real-estate tax exemption describing the property as public, they screwed themselves over and fell into the gray area I spoke of. New Jersey has a Law Against Discrimination (the LAD) and it specifically includes boardwalks and beachfront as public property. Had the couple wanted to hold the wedding within the actual chapel of the church, my understanding is that the church could legally and easily refuse them service.

[quote name='UncleBob']
A common misconception is that a business can decline service "for any reason". While this *should* be the case, it's not.[/QUOTE]

Religious institutions have been given broad exemptions from discrimination laws. There are still open questions that may or not someday be decided by a Supreme Court case (or the Supreme Court declining to hear a case), but the general feeling is that religious institutions are treated differently than a secular business.

I'm not going to write up a review of the literature on the subject or cite sources, but everything is out there for you to read.

[quote name='dohdough']No shit, Sherlock. The point that you so typically ignored is that laws in NJ don't universally apply to other states. If LGBT's were a federally protected class, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.[/quote]

The obvious end game - as it should be - is to make them a protected class, no?

Most places would be smart enough to give excuses that fly under the radar for these things. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

So... you're encouraging places to use underhanded, secret discrimination?

[quote name='JJSP']"The pavilion was used for community and charitable events and the owners of the property, Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association, received a tax exemption from the state Green Acres program, which provides exemptions to non-profit organizations who use their property for recreational or conservation purposes. An important condition of the exemption is that the property be “open for public use on an equal basis.”"
[...]
My understanding (and I'm no lawyer, but I think only Javery is here) is that because the church applied for a real-estate tax exemption describing the property as public, they screwed themselves over and fell into the gray area I spoke of. New Jersey has a Law Against Discrimination (the LAD) and it specifically includes boardwalks and beachfront as public property. Had the couple wanted to hold the wedding within the actual chapel of the church, my understanding is that the church could legally and easily refuse them service.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

However, as virtually all churches also fall under protection from paying taxes (something I'd LOVE to see revoked), I can't help but wonder if that could be used against them in a similar fashion.

The Federal Tax Code requires that, for a religious organization to be exempt from taxes, they must:

That the practices and rituals associated with the organization's religious belief or creed are not illegal or contrary to clearly defined public policy.

In a world where same-sex marriage is legal (which it should be) and homosexuals are "protected" (which, as much as any other group, they should be), would such a religious belief that "You can't celebrate here because you're gay" not be discriminatory, thus illegal?

Let's look at this a different way - is there any existing precedence for, say, a mixed-race couple attempting to get married in a church, being denied, then bringing the case to court?

Would anyone here be okay with a law being written in such a way that proclaims that two individuals can enter into a marriage contract, regardless of their gender, but specifically exempts private businesses and/or churches from being forced to do business with them w/r/t their celebration of such a contract?

[quote name='UncleBob']The obvious end game - as it should be - is to make them a protected class, no?[/quote]
I don't think anyone in this thread has overtly said that they shouldn't be considering the discrimination they face.

So... you're encouraging places to use underhanded, secret discrimination?
How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm not asking for a case study. I'm asking for a court ruling, preferably federal that states that churches, or places of worship can decline to hold gay marriages there on religious grounds.

Also, insulting people, calling them bigots and retards, makes you look like one yourself. Ever hear the saying 'if you say someone is racist, you're probably racist yourself'? That applies here.[/QUOTE]

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/hosanna-tabor-evangelical-lutheran-church-and-school-v-eeoc/?wpmp_switcher=desktop

This is the ADA, but wouldn't SCOTUS come to a similar decision with the ENDA once it covers LGBT?

[quote name='dohdough']I don't think anyone in this thread has overtly said that they shouldn't be considering the discrimination they face.[/quote]

The worst part is, it's our wonderful government that's actively discriminating against homosexuals in the worst ways.

I can't speak for a homosexual male, but if I had to choose between my neighbor treating me equally or my government treating me equally, I'd be more concerned with how my government is treating me.

Yet, instead, we sit back and complain about how such-and-such group is working to keep certain rights away and completely ignore the fact that the government, which has the primary function of protecting the rights of its people, is actively denying them.

How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?

"Be smart, do this."

Unless Obama supporting Homos improves the economy, I don't know why you'd give a fuck.
People get hated on and discriminated every day for everything, I don't see why one group should get more pity than another

[quote name='KtMack23']Unless Obama supporting Homos improves the economy, I don't know why you'd give a fuck.
People get hated on and discriminated every day for everything, I don't see why one group should get more pity than another[/QUOTE]

Hey man, no reason to be bitter because assholes such as yourself are not a protected class.

Unless their is violence being committed or intese verbal abuse, bullying is bullying, for whatever reason. It sucks and it shouldn't be done, sure, but I'm not going to cry over it or lose sleep.

I was bullied, you have probably been bullied. I don't see why people are surprised that you get flack for making weird life choices.

Plus Its a state issue so I don't see what the president has to do with it. He just said this stuff to grab cash from pro-homosexual groups. The people who support gay marriage were already going to vote for him.

[quote name='Msut77']Hey man, no reason to be bitter because assholes such as yourself are not a protected class.[/QUOTE]

Assholes deserve love too.

That's what this whole thing is about.

[quote name='KtMack23']Unless Obama supporting Homos improves the economy, I don't know why you'd give a fuck.
People get hated on and discriminated every day for everything, I don't see why one group should get more pity than another[/QUOTE]
Further enfranchising a disenfranchised group has a direct effect on the economy simply through participation.

Discrimination is discrimination, but not all discrimination is equal in scope or effect, nor are the victims. The fact that "everyone" experiences "discrimination" doesn't make it right or that the groups that experience the worst of it should just suck it up and "deal."

[quote name='KtMack23']Unless their is violence being committed or intese verbal abuse, bullying is bullying, for whatever reason. It sucks and it shouldn't be done, sure, but I'm not going to cry over it or lose sleep.

I was bullied, you have probably been bullied. I don't see why people are surprised that you get flack for making weird life choices.

Plus Its a state issue so I don't see what the president has to do with it. He just said this stuff to grab cash from pro-homosexual groups. The people who support gay marriage were already going to vote for him.[/QUOTE]
Being gay isn't a choice anymore than being straight is. You don't seem to understand that this isn't a "pro-homosexual" thing, but a pro-equal rights thing.

And why should it be a state's rights thing? So some states can have free reign to treat them as second class citizens?

[quote name='KtMack23']Let the states decide if its legal. I don't like it per say, but that doesn't matter. That's all in really saying.[/QUOTE]
What don't you like?

[quote name='KtMack23']Unless their is violence being committed or intese verbal abuse, bullying is bullying, for whatever reason. It sucks and it shouldn't be done, sure, but I'm not going to cry over it or lose sleep.

Plus Its a state issue so I don't see what the president has to do with it. He just said this stuff to grab cash from pro-homosexual groups. The people who support gay marriage were already going to vote for him.[/QUOTE]

Sexuality isn't a choice.

[quote name='dohdough']
And why should it be a state's rights thing? So some states can have free reign to treat them as second class citizens?[/QUOTE]He is only echoing the president's position on the matter.

[quote name='Spokker']He is only echoing the president's position on the matter.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. He's made it perfectly clear that it's his own view on it and not repeating it or agreeing with Obama.

[quote name='Spokker']He is only echoing the president's position on the matter.[/QUOTE]

For now it is the president's position but he is wishy washy so it might change again before the next fundraiser. As for now it is a state's decision position.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Is it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is. We have yet to scientifically prove whether or not homosexuality has a definitive genetic basis. It's something scholars continue to debate back and forth, and scientists continue to search for the link, so yes, at this time, it's opinion.

Even if one wholly believes that a person can be born gay, you still have to admit that some people, at some point in their life, for a multitude of reasons, decide to live differently. Now, one could argue that a lot of people who eventually "find" their homosexuality were never actually heterosexual. They were simply living out the generally accepted roles society prescribes to us. But I'm sure they are plenty of who were quite happy and content in their heterosexual life...and then just changed. And I'm sure there are people who were homosexual and then just decided to live differently.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, it is. We have yet to scientifically prove whether or not homosexuality has a definitive genetic basis. It's something scholars continue to debate back and forth, and scientists continue to search for the link, so yes, at this time, it's opinion.

Even if one wholly believes that a person can be born gay, you still have to admit that some people, at some point in their life, for a multitude of reasons, decide to live differently. Now, one could argue that a lot of people who eventually "find" their homosexuality were never actually heterosexual. They were simply living out the generally accepted roles society prescribes to us. But I'm sure they are plenty of who were quite happy and content in their heterosexual life...and then just changed. And I'm sure there are people who were homosexual and then just decided to live differently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, I was just teasing.:) Regardless, even it was scientifically linked, do you think it would really matter? People who believe that one verse in the Bible will just brush that aside and still say it's a sin, so I don't really think it matters regardless if it's proven or not.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, it is. We have yet to scientifically prove whether or not homosexuality has a definitive genetic basis. It's something scholars continue to debate back and forth, and scientists continue to search for the link, so yes, at this time, it's opinion.

Even if one wholly believes that a person can be born gay, you still have to admit that some people, at some point in their life, for a multitude of reasons, decide to live differently. Now, one could argue that a lot of people who eventually "find" their homosexuality were never actually heterosexual. They were simply living out the generally accepted roles society prescribes to us. But I'm sure they are plenty of who were quite happy and content in their heterosexual life...and then just changed. And I'm sure there are people who were homosexual and then just decided to live differently.[/QUOTE]

Why and when did you choose to be heterosexual?

[quote name='IRHari']Why and when did you choose to be heterosexual?[/QUOTE]

Not my question but when I first pulled down my pants and chose to have sex.

WTF is this shit? So what you're saying is that a man, or a woman for that matter, who never found the same sex sexually attractive whatsoever, could at the drop of a hat, just decide that cock'n'balls(or pussy and boobs respectively), are their new requirements for having a bf, gf, casual fling, or life partner? For what reason? Cause they're bored? Maybe a giant fuck you to society? To feel discriminated against? To give themselves LESS rights?

I mean holy shit. We're not even talking about pederasty or Kinsey scale here. You want to throw out societal gender roles as an argument to support your case, but then toss it out the window when it gets inconvenient to explain why a LGBT person would "choose" to live straight?

Well, that's two retards who go directly to being blocked...

[quote name='soulvengeance']Yeah, I know, I was just teasing.:) Regardless, even it was scientifically linked, do you think it would really matter? People who believe that one verse in the Bible will just brush that aside and still say it's a sin, so I don't really think it matters regardless if it's proven or not.[/QUOTE]

While it wouldn't matter to those are on the extreme religious right, I think it would change some opinions towards the middle.

[quote name='IRHari']Why and when did you choose to be heterosexual?[/QUOTE]

Probably when he saw a nice ass and some big boobs.

I'm a registered Democrat(that swing votes on occasion) and yet I have never once given a shit about the 'rights' of any group. The only thing I care about is which politician will fuck me over the least. That is who gets my vote.

He's supporting them now because he can win their vote now.
Just check out what Rodney did a "public apology" for cutting a gay guy's hair, when he was in the military.
All of this is just bullshit.

how are churches going to be forced to perform gay marriages when they haven't even been forced to perform straight marriages?

every catholic church I know will tell you to get lost if you both aren't practicing catholics, at least one of you has some connection to that church, is willing to go through all kinds of pre-marital counseling with a priest, etc.

This country allows the freedom to people to be the biggest steaming piles of shit known to human beings. A country that allows that should allow two people of the same sex to be together for whatever reasons. I'm glad the President supports gay marriage. I wish I was gay every single day, then I wouldn't have to deal with all these psycho bitch ex- girlfriends. Sigh.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, that's two retards who go directly to being blocked...[/QUOTE]
Says the person that believes the Gattaca version of genetics.

[quote name='KtMack23']Probably when he saw a nice ass and some big boobs.[/QUOTE]
With that kind of logic, why aren't all women lesbians then?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm a registered Democrat(that swing votes on occasion) and yet I have never once given a shit about the 'rights' of any group. The only thing I care about is which politician will fuck me over the least. That is who gets my vote.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing none of the kids played with you when you were younger. It's like you have a deadly allergic reaction to empathy or something.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']He's supporting them now because he can win their vote now.
Just check out what Rodney did a "public apology" for cutting a gay guy's hair, when he was in the military.
All of this is just bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Who and what the hell are you talking about?

They ain't fakin', whole lotta ignorance goin' on....

Anyway, here is Randy boy making his poppa proud.

http://news.yahoo.com/rand-paul-say...views-could-235037656--abc-news-politics.html

"The president recently weighed in on marriage and you know he said his views were evolving on marriage," the Kentucky Republican said at Iowa's Faith and Freedom Coalition meeting. "Call me cynical, but I wasn't sure his views on marriage could get any gayer."
A grown man acting like a fucking 13 year old boy.

[quote name='dohdough']I'm guessing none of the kids played with you when you were younger. It's like you have a deadly allergic reaction to empathy or something.[/QUOTE]
Yep. That's it. You got me.:roll: It can't just be that I don't give a rats' ass about the 'issues' that people feel EVERYONE should give a crap about?

If shit doesn't affect me personally, then I see no reason to care about it. Excuse me for not pretending to give a shit about 'causes' I don't care about.

Unfortunately all of the groups 'fighting' for their 'cause' are championed by some of the biggest loudmouths this world has even seen who continue to shove their opinions down your throat and keep it in your face until they feel every person in the country(unfortunately) has heard them.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yep. That's it. You got me.:roll: It can't just be that I don't give a rats' ass about the 'issues' that people feel EVERYONE should give a crap about?[/QUOTE]
Are those "issues" not legitimate?

If shit doesn't affect me personally, then I see no reason to care about it. Excuse me for not pretending to give a shit about 'causes' I don't care about.
You know what's funny? They do affect you personally. Right where it hurts you too: in your wallet, which expands to many other aspects of your life. Sticking your fingers in your ears doesn't change that.

Unfortunately all of the groups 'fighting' for their 'cause' are championed by some of the biggest loudmouths this world has even seen who continue to shove their opinions down your throat and keep it in your face until they feel every person in the country(unfortunately) has heard them.:roll:
Again with those stupid quotes. It doesn't make you look edgy or smart or delegitimatize those issues by using them. It just makes you look like a fucking tool. So if you like the messenger or how they sell the message, then it's ok? I'm guessing you haven't really thought this, amongst a plethora of other things, through. At least you're consistent. I'll give you credit for that.

[quote name='dohdough']Are those "issues" not legitimate?[/quote]
They are legitimate for those people who give a damn about them. But I don't need to see them plastered on my TV screen every other day. I'm fine with being ignorant of the 'plight' of others.
You know what's funny? They do affect you personally. Right where it hurts you too: in your wallet, which expands to many other aspects of your life. Sticking your fingers in your ears doesn't change that.
How exactly do these specific groups fighting for their 'rights' affect me? Unless they're using public tax dollars to lawyer up to fight for them, I don't see how and don't care.
Again with those stupid quotes. It doesn't make you look edgy or smart or delegitimatize those issues by using them. It just makes you look like a fucking tool. So if you like the messenger or how they sell the message, then it's ok? I'm guessing you haven't really thought this, amongst a plethora of other things, through. At least you're consistent. I'll give you credit for that.
Thing is, I don't like ANY of the special groups that feel they need to scream their message through a megaphone to be heard. I have no problem with them fighting it out in court, just do it quietly and stop being such attention whores.

As for the "quotes", I do that in real life too. I use them with terms I consider to be ridiculous in their overuse. Everybody is out to fight for 'rights' they feel they're 'owed'.

It's not that I don't respect them for wanting to fight for what they believe in. But it's just that they're so up in your face about it and you can't escape the coverage of their protests or whatever.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They are legitimate for those people who give a damn about them. But I don't need to see them plastered on my TV screen every other day. I'm fine with being ignorant of the 'plight' of others. [/quote]No matter what side of the issue you are on, it is a major political issue of the day. Expect to see a lot more of it.

I think you can avoid the issue if you refrain from looking at and participating political discussions like this one. It says gay marriage right in the title.

Grown men acting like teenagers is politics 101.

But I'm sure they are plenty of who were quite happy and content in their heterosexual life...and then just changed.

Makes no sense. No one would willingly to choose to be ostracized and have less rights, with nothing at stake. People may do it online, but nobody decides to troll people (including themselves) as their real life mission.

[quote name='davo1224']Grown men acting like teenagers is politics 101.

Makes no sense. No one would willingly to choose to be ostracized and have less rights, with nothing at stake. People may do it online, but nobody decides to troll people (including themselves) as their real life mission.[/QUOTE]

Careful, he might ignore you now.

[quote name='Spokker']I think you can avoid the issue if you refrain from looking at and participating political discussions like this one. It says gay marriage right in the title.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They are legitimate for those people who give a damn about them. But I don't need to see them plastered on my TV screen every other day. I'm fine with being ignorant of the 'plight' of others.[/QUOTE]
Yet, you seem to enjoy sauntering into discussions, shooting off ignorant positions backed with more ignorance, and interjecting your distaste for the issue being discussed. In a debate forum on the internets no less...where you have direct control over the media and content you consume.

How exactly do these specific groups fighting for their 'rights' affect me? Unless they're using public tax dollars to lawyer up to fight for them, I don't see how and don't care.
Holy fuck, this is a serious question isn't it? You literally can't imagine how social issues effect you.

I'm not going to write a dissertation on how those issues affect your life, but you don't think that the issues that the Occupy movement doesn't affect your life? Wage stagnation, higher education costs, wealth disparity say nothing to you? Weren't you making less than $20k a year and recently unemployed? Inflation alone should put minimum wage over $20k. How's that for affecting your life? As for unemployment, how long do you think you'll last on it when the Extended Benefits program has ended in a job market where even college grads with experience can't find a job? That's another thing that puts downward pressure on wages. I can go on and on and on, but I'm only barely skimming the surface how those lazy hippies getting in everybody's faces and protesting affects your life.

Thing is, I don't like ANY of the special groups that feel they need to scream their message through a megaphone to be heard. I have no problem with them fighting it out in court, just do it quietly and stop being such attention whores.

As for the "quotes", I do that in real life too. I use them with terms I consider to be ridiculous in their overuse. Everybody is out to fight for 'rights' they feel they're 'owed'.

It's not that I don't respect them for wanting to fight for what they believe in. But it's just that they're so up in your face about it and you can't escape the coverage of their protests or whatever.
Yeah...black people should've just accepted being less than second-class citizens and sucked it up until the courts that kept them there decided to stop keeping them there. Do you really find it so detestable that people seek to be treated equally? I mean WTF else would "fight for 'rights' they feel theyr're 'owed'" mean? Are they fighting for extra rights or something? Can you grasp the concept that you were lucky enough not to be born into circumstances in which you don't need to fight for those "extraneous" rights, but others aren't?

If you want to be a misanthrope and ignore/avoid these issues, fine. But like Spokker said much more nicely, you're doing a shit job of avoiding them when you purposely participate in a discussion about them.

bread's done
Back