Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']WTF? I cleared the gate as well and am in the castle and I SWEAR I'm only level 1. How the hell did you level that much before the first gate?[/quote]

You don't HAVE to do the main quest, it's possible he did other side quests before he started doing the main quest. The game scales difficulty based on your current level as well.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']WTF? I cleared the gate as well and am in the castle and I SWEAR I'm only level 1. How the hell did you level that much before the first gate?[/quote]

I cleared a lot of little side forts before I even touched it. It was just too hard (I got tired of running in, killing ONE enemy and then collecting my 10 arrows again while trying to fight the next enemy). Cleared it no problem when I brought enough arrows.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I cleared a lot of little side forts before I even touched it. It was just too hard (I got tired of running in, killing ONE enemy and then collecting my 10 arrows again while trying to fight the next enemy). Cleared it no problem when I brought enough arrows.[/quote]

You have more patience than me. I already finished the main quest and the two main expansions, all the guild factions and a few other side quests, but halfway through the game, hitting a creature with ten arrows barely does anything.

I've started over building a custom class with skills I know I'll use, with the intention of doing most of the quests in the game. I still have Marksmanship as a major skill but I know it'll probably never get to 100.

[quote name='espywork']You have more patience than me. I already finished the main quest and the two main expansions, all the guild factions and a few other side quests, but halfway through the game, hitting a creature with ten arrows barely does anything.

I've started over building a custom class with skills I know I'll use, with the intention of doing most of the quests in the game. I still have Marksmanship as a major skill but I know it'll probably never get to 100.[/quote]

You have to poison them and learn to use sneak. You get a 3x multiplier when you hit something in sneak mode.

[quote name='cochesecochese']You have to poison them and learn to use sneak. You get a 3x multiplier when you hit something in sneak mode.[/QUOTE]

It's indeed satisfying to sneak up on an enemy and shoot an arrow through their noggin and see them flail and fall. :)
For my first attempt, I was a sword/axe guy... but moving along to bows was natural, considering the problems of trying to block arrows and run up to an enemy to thwack it with my daedric longsword. :)
Of course it also works with any weapon, if your sneak skill is good enough... I've skewered people by sneaking up behind them and delivering the "fatal blow" ;)

they tend not to scream when you do that... and you can usually avoid the immediate attraction of the guards. :)

Agreed. Although there's a lot of other good stuff too. For example: Punching a beggar to death.

My favorite so far has been walking into a castle, punching the ruler in the face and then getting arrested. I immediately strip off all my clothes and start a naked punching party in my cell. Pick the lock, run to the guards room and steal their shit/armor up right in front of them and make a mad sprint for the city gates. If you do it right you get a handful of them following you. The key is to lead them up into the mountains, jump off of a really high spot and then watch with glee as they all suicide right after you(you need master of acrobatics for this).

A corollary to this is pushing a horse off of the Blades' temple walls (near the gate) and watching it die. Hilarious.

Pickpocketing is pretty funny too but I haven't really experimented with it yet. I want to see what happens if I gank every single key off of a castle's personnel during the daytime (when all the doors are closed) and see if they'll be able to get back to their quarters OR if an NPC doesn't actually need a key to open doors. Slaughtering whole villages (NOT fortified towns) is good for a chuckle but sometimes I screw up and need to go back there for a quest.

I haven't even made it to the Imperial City yet. I hope there is something just as good waiting for me there.

Just don't punch beggars to death if you're in the Thieves Guild... the "penance" is bloody annoying. (some of the other guilds have draconian rules about pilfering and the like...)

[quote name='Mechafenris']Just don't punch beggars to death if you're in the Thieves Guild... the "penance" is bloody annoying. (some of the other guilds have draconian rules about pilfering and the like...)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I generally finish a whole set of guild quests before causing mayhem. Or just save the game before said mayhem and just reload it after I get myself killed doing crazy things. My current character isn't high enough level to do much but on the 360 version, my level 28ish Agent was quite the headache for guards/governments.

[quote name='cochesecochese']My favorite so far has been walking into a castle, punching the ruler in the face and then getting arrested. I immediately strip off all my clothes and start a naked punching party in my cell. Pick the lock, run to the guards room and steal their shit/armor up right in front of them and make a mad sprint for the city gates. If you do it right you get a handful of them following you. The key is to lead them up into the mountains, jump off of a really high spot and then watch with glee as they all suicide right after you(you need master of acrobatics for this).[/quote]
Dude, thanks for the laugh, that's too funny.

I do have a question though. I killed a guard early on in my quest and now I can't activate any of the wells, does anyone know how I need to pay the penance for my crime?

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Dude, thanks for the laugh, that's too funny.

I do have a question though. I killed a guard early on in my quest and now I can't activate any of the wells, does anyone know how I need to pay the penance for my crime?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just speak to another guard... or go find all the shrines of the gods (Not Daedric princes)... scattered throughout the realm... (9 of them, I believe...) but just paying the fine is easier. ;) I believe once you've expunged the crime from your record (by paying the fine an making sure your infamy isn't larger than your fame)... the churches cure and heal you like normal...

Don't go up to a guard without the cash though... because you'll have to fight him or do time, and you lose things when you do time...

The good thing is, though... if someone's essential to a quest, you cannot kill them. They just go unconscious. Of course you have to charm them or bribe them to get them to even tolerate you... ;)

Alright, for all noobs out there I'm going to let you learn from my mistake. When your "progress to next level" bar on your personal stats page is full .... find a bed and sleep. I kept wondering why I wasn't leveling up then I got a bed at an inn and when I woke up I had the page that told me I could level up. Get this, after I found that out I went from level 1 to level 4 in 2 minutes, now I'm at level 5 and finally feel like I can hold my own. This would have been nice when I was trying to clean up Kvatch.

This motherfucker is epic. I have to restart because I did too much straight up crawling and thieving and it fucked up all the guild quests and my bounty. My character was a little bitch, too. My new character is going to own.

[quote name='cochesecochese']This motherfucker is epic. I have to restart because I did too much straight up crawling and thieving and it fucked up all the guild quests and my bounty. My character was a little bitch, too. My new character is going to own.[/quote]My save is like 90 hours, and I haven't touched the main quest. :lol: Working on the Dark Brotherhood right now, having already done Arena, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, Knights of the Nine. I'll probably do the main quest next, and then Shivering Isles. I've also done a shit ton of miscellaneous quests. This game is greatness.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't search the thread. I had to go back about 12 pages just to find the thread.

I had Oblivion for 360, the normal version. I had thought I might want to start over on the PS3 version. Can the extra content be loaded from the GOTY/Shivering Isles discs like the 360 version? How do the graphics compare? Is the extra content worth the extra money?

Basically, I was thinking about getting it in the B2G1F sale today, and I had to make the choice between the regular and GOTY versions. If I go regular, I would get this, Motorstorm, and Ratchet for PSP. GOTY, Uncharted and Resistance if I go that route, it's just about $40 more.

Opinions?

what do you mean by extra content? If you mean Shivering Isles then yes you can even d/l that from PSN or buy the disc.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You'll have to excuse me if I don't search the thread. I had to go back about 12 pages just to find the thread.

I had Oblivion for 360, the normal version. I had thought I might want to start over on the PS3 version. Can the extra content be loaded from the GOTY/Shivering Isles discs like the 360 version? [/quote]

Not exactly the same way. On the 360, the GoTY version is two DVDs. The first DVD is basically the original base Oblivion Game and the second contains the Shivering isles and Knights of the Nine content. The expansion disc installs on your hard drive and you play with the base disc. The expansions are detected and patched in the same way as if you bought the DLC. In fact, once installed, the expansion disc is no longer needed. You can even play with an original Oblivion disc if you already owned the original game.

On the PS3 the base game you purchase always installs a large cache file on your hard drive to save on load times and to minimize the low-res to high-res texture pop-in effect that was apparent on the 360 version (wasn't bad at first, but got worse as the DVD drive in my first X360 slowly died). The DLC version of Shivering Isles installs on your hard drive and works essentially like the 360 installed content.

However, if you buy the PS3 disc based version of Shivering Isles, it also installs a cache file to improve performance and has you insert the Oblivion disc ONE TIME during this install to verify you own the original game. From then on you can play the entire game using the Expansion Disc ONLY. My guess is that on the PS3 version of the game the 29.99 Expansion Disc actually contains all the expansion and base game info on one Blu-ray disc. It is essentially the same as the GOTY disc but with a "please insert your original Oblivion disc" copy protection check subroutine inserted.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']How do the graphics compare? Is the extra content worth the extra money?[/quote]

The graphics are only VERY slightly better on the PS3. The game uses lower res textures on far away items that are replaced by higher res textures as you get closer on both systems. On my 360, the higher res textures would sometimes pop-in a little too slowly as my dying DVD drive struggled to load them. However, I have also seen the game played on 360s with different DVD drives which don't seem to have this problem near as badly. The problem has been greatly reduced by the large amount of hard drive caching that the PS3 version does when it installs. The already impressive 360 draw distances are also extended a bit here. On the flip side the PS3 versions colors are a bit washed out compared to those of the 360. (although this is again minor). The minimal difference in graphics wasn't enough for me to switch versions. However, the PS3 version does sport one huge improvement (greatly reduced load times). They are still there, BUT they are considerably shorter on the PS3 version. Considering all of the loading as you enter buildings and caves the few seconds here and there really adds up in a one hundred hour game. EDIT: (this difference is what prompted me to buy the PS3 version even though I already had all the 360 stuff)

While I have yet to play all the way through it on the PS3 version, I've played through the whole game including the main quest and all side quests/ guilds etc. on the 360. The Shivering Isles expansion is actually larger and better than 90% of the stand alone retail games on the market. It is definitely worth it. While the Oblivion main storyline quest was a bit dull compared to all the guild questlines, the Shivering Isles main quest line really shines both in story and creativity. It is definitely worth the extra money.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']However, the PS3 version does sport one huge improvement (greatly reduced load times). They are still there, BUT they are considerably shorter on the PS3 version. Considering all of the loading as you enter buildings and caves the few seconds here and there really adds up in a one hundred hour game. [/quote]

This alone makes the PS3 version the winner.

I have actually forced myself to start this game... it was as if I were afraid to start... I am a few levels in and did not do a custom class... I always do that stuff and then get too detailed and the games lose their fun. Once that happens I never finish them....

I have been a fan of this series since it came out. I still have Arena and its one of my all time favorite games. Those riddles were somewhat difficult back then, before the internet really was present.

Anyway I am still up in the air if I should start over and create a custom class or just work with what I have. I think I am just going to continue on.

Crimson... I was just about to post the answer to your level 1 and that you need to sleep in a bed and then came across your response to yourself....sometimes reading the manaul can be helpful!

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Thanks, that's about what I was looking for. Will have to pick up the GOTY PS3 edition if I find a good price for it.[/quote]

Should be noted though that the PS3 version does not have the extra DLC the 360 version does, except Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine. However, you have to pay for that DLC on the 360 (which I would never ever do) so it can go either way.

Anyway I am still up in the air if I should start over and create a custom class or just work with what I have. I think I am just going to continue on.

I'm a big, big Morrowind fan and that being said, I did create a custom class. However I found in Oblivion I found myself using a very different skillset so I actually started over after I finished most of the major quests in the game.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Thanks, that's about what I was looking for. Will have to pick up the GOTY PS3 edition if I find a good price for it.[/quote]

I was where you're at a month ago. At the time I couldn't find PS3 GOTY cheaper than $45 (used). Be sure to lookout for the base game and the expansion separately as well. I ended up finding the base game for $6.98 at a Wal-mart that was dumping its last couple copies out of the main PS3 case and picked up a used copy of the expansion for $24.95 locally.

My nyko zero controller comes tomorrow and I just got oblivion. I googled, but not much cam up. I know it doesn't have rumble, but is there any news of it going to be patched? This game would be just that much better with rumble support.

bread's done
Back