Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

[quote name='snakelda']when is GOTY version released?My friend let me borrow it and I have to buy it now!I'll wait if GOTY is close.[/QUOTE]

Amazon says Oct. 2nd. I don't know if that's set in stone or not.

I read on the official site GOTY will be out on PS3 on 9/13.

By the way, anyone know if they'll release a GOTY edition strategy guide so I don't have to buy the Shivering Isles guide separately?

I really want to buy this. I sunk well over 100 hours into the 360 version, and I'm more than willing to do it again on the PS3. But I just need some confirmation on the DLC.

Same here. I actually was playing through the 360 version again since I got my new TV but I'd really like to play the PS3 version instead. Plus I haven't bought Shivering Isles yet so if that's included, I'll really be set until Elder Scrolls V comes out (no, I don't know if they're making it, I would assume so because Oblivion got great scores and sold many copies).

I really want to buy this. I sunk well over 100 hours into the 360 version, and I'm more than willing to do it again on the PS3. But I just need some confirmation on the DLC.

There's an unofficial FAQ on the official Oblivion forums. The PS3 GOTY edition will include Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, that's it. The other XBL DLC isn't included because developers thought it would ruin the flow of the game (such as advanced quests being available in your questlog from the start of the game).

[quote name='espy605']There's an unofficial FAQ on the official Oblivion forums. The PS3 GOTY edition will include Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, that's it. The other XBL DLC isn't included because developers thought it would ruin the flow of the game (such as advanced quests being available in your questlog from the start of the game).[/QUOTE]

Those bastards. Nevermind then, I'll just get Shivering Isles for the 360 at some point if I'm bored.

[quote name='Halo05']Those bastards. Nevermind then, I'll just get Shivering Isles for the 360 at some point if I'm bored.[/quote]

I do believe though, that the frame rate and load times on the PS3 version are better, so it might be worth it to migrate over.

I've been thinking about selling my 360 version, as the PS3 GOTY just looks better and has all the new content. Hmm.... decisions.

I've been thinking about selling my 360 version, as the PS3 GOTY just looks better and has all the new content. Hmm.... decisions.

It has all the major content, but not all of it.
I wonder if the downloads via XBL for Shivering Isles and Kot9 will be reduced/free for folks who have the vanilla version?
Reduced perhaps, but free, doubtful.

[quote name='espywork']It has all the major content, but not all of it. [/QUOTE]

I've never cared about the minor download addons. Just Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'd be happy if they just put Mehrune's Razor in there. It was the best dungeon in the game.[/QUOTE]

really? I got the free download of that a while ago and never got around to it... just last week I finished every deadric god quest... now those were pretty cool. I'll try out Razor tonight then.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']really? I got the free download of that a while ago and never got around to it... just last week I finished every deadric god quest... now those were pretty cool. I'll try out Razor tonight then.[/QUOTE]
It's HUGE. Largest dungeon in the game. Plus you get a badass weapon for finishing it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's HUGE. Largest dungeon in the game. Plus you get a badass weapon for finishing it.[/QUOTE]

I have too many weapons in a special box of mine in my wizards tower... but one more can't hurt :)

also, can anyone recommend the orrery? it supposedly gives you bonuses depending on what time of the day it is.

Orrey's ok. The bonuses were cool, but honestly I didn't use it much. I have all the DLC except the horse armor, and the only two I'd recommend are the Wizard's Tower and the Razor. Spell tomes are kind of neat, except once you learn how to make your own spells they're kind of pointless.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Orrey's ok. The bonuses were cool, but honestly I didn't use it much. I have all the DLC except the horse armor, and the only two I'd recommend are the Wizard's Tower and the Razor. Spell tomes are kind of neat, except once you learn how to make your own spells they're kind of pointless.[/QUOTE]

I already got the spell tomes. It's so damn cheap and it helps with getting things quicker.

I have the pirate one as well... I got it free but it was... so so... just cool to have your own crew pillage.

I guess it's dungeon crawling again tonight.

Damn... I guess the only thing to do is either break down and get the 360 version (stupid as I already played a total of like 120 hours on that) or wait and hope the PS3 delay results in it getting some more bonus dungeons and the like.

Dammit, I am really looking forward to the GOTY edition and I don't want to wait another month. BAH...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Orrey's ok. The bonuses were cool, but honestly I didn't use it much. I have all the DLC except the horse armor, and the only two I'd recommend are the Wizard's Tower and the Razor. Spell tomes are kind of neat, except once you learn how to make your own spells they're kind of pointless.[/QUOTE]

The Orrey's a visually stunning contraption, though. Mostly, I use the Magnetism bonus spell so I can have a much better personality (helps in some of the guild quests from time to time... saves on having to bribe everyone... heh)

I recently finished the Fighters Guild and Dark Brotherhood faction quests... (This game is like Digital Crack.... heh.)

Have you found a good spot for Frost Salts, though (speaking of Wizard's Tower)....

Void Salts and Fire Salts are very easy to come by.... but I've not found too many Frost Salts...

[quote name='Mechafenris']The Orrey's a visually stunning contraption, though. Mostly, I use the Magnetism bonus spell so I can have a much better personality (helps in some of the guild quests from time to time... saves on having to bribe everyone... heh)

I recently finished the Fighters Guild and Dark Brotherhood faction quests... (This game is like Digital Crack.... heh.)

Have you found a good spot for Frost Salts, though (speaking of Wizard's Tower)....

Void Salts and Fire Salts are very easy to come by.... but I've not found too many Frost Salts...[/QUOTE]

for frost salt, try visiting some elven ruins in the north... i think there's some frostys there.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']for frost salt, try visiting some elven ruins in the north... i think there's some frostys there.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. :) I'm finishing up the Mage Guild quests... it's getting pretty interesting. :) I've never played an RPG where I wanted to finish (or at least try) all the quests. :)

Oblivion is the new Digital crack. :p

Lvl 30 Dark Elf Mage.... :)

OK, I need your help on this one. I picked up Oblivion for the PS3 last night (have it for my 360 but it took a shit and really wanted to play this game) and played a bit of it but created a character that I really didn't want but felt I had to. I should say I created a warrior class character but I'm more interested in being a thief/assassin class; my bitch is that it seems that unless you can wield a blade or a blunt weapon, you're pretty much fucked in this game.

Have any of you played a character like a thief or an assassin? I like sneaking around, using the bow, and the idea of majik (or whatever it's called) but I don't want to get my ass handed to me every time I go into a new territory.

At this point I'm only at Jaffahr (or whatever his name is) so I can restart without much issue, but if you think I'll be gimped by using a thief/assassin I'll just keep this character.

I played through Oblivion much like you wanted to with comparative ease compared to my roommates spellbladeish/ranger type character.

I specialized in light armor, hand-to-hand, marksmanship, illusion, acrobatics, sneak, and alchemy i think. Lots of controllable leveling here.

I was pretty much a powerhouse. One-shot kidney punching almost every minor thug/vampire/rat in the game.

So...yes, totally doable.

The game never really had a difficulty mode. Or at least not a balanced on. You could create your thief and just fiddle with the difficulty slider until it balances out. Then switch to other archetypes as you see fit and maybe fiddle with it again.

You can play a thief and beat the game just fine. It just takes more grinding to get the bow up to par. Whereas with blade and blunt, you can alternate between them and rack up a lot of strength points to spend (and at the same time waste them if you don't keep track).

Play how you feel and just tone down the difficulty slider a notch at a time until it's just right. That is, if you play as a thief and start having a tough time.

I ended up creating a Wood Elf Agent born under the sign of the thief. I get Marksman, Illusion, and Sneak which are my main wants. I figure I can use a blade as a "close" attack but focus on my bow. What's nice is that if I can get a sneak attack in with the bow I was doing 3x damage to those little trolls in the prison tunnels.

I got pretty far in the 360 version of Oblivion as a Dark Elf (forget the exact name) Agent. I had a blast but in general, I could only get off a couple bow shots before switching to a sword. It was still never terribly tough and more fun than my more recent Nord Barbarian character. I'm currently waiting on the PS3 GOTY version and plan to play as a sneaky type once I get it.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm currently waiting on the PS3 GOTY version and plan to play as a sneaky type once I get it.[/quote]
This got me thinking, will there be a way to import your non-GOTY saves into the GOTY? It would be nice to go through Shivering Aisles with a beefed up character instead of having to play through AGAIN to get your character up to snuff.

Either way, this is my third time restarting the game and each time I'm finding different stuff and different ways of going about the quests. The more I play this the more I get psyched to see what they do with Fallout 3.

Well, they're releasing a stand-alone 360 disc with Shivering Isles on it for (I assume) people who already own the regular edition. I don't know if a similar disc is coming out for the PS3.

Man i really hope toys r us will carry this damn game. I still have the extra game from the b2g1 in the form of HS that i need to exchange.

I'm so bummed that this version won't be getting all those random 360 dungeons. It wouldn't matter if both versions played identically (as I would've just stuck to the 360 version) but on the one hand you have...

1. PS3 version, opitimized graphics and framerate.

2. 360 version, slightly inferior graphics but more content.

I realize that at some point Bethesda could port the 360 content onto the PSN but I'll be surprised if they do.

It is very confusing, isn't it? I haven't spent the time to figure out if PS3 GOTY has *just* Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, or if it also includes the horse armor and all that other piecemeal DLC as well.

Christ, what a mess.

[quote name='mykevermin']I haven't spent the time to figure out if PS3 GOTY has *just* Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine[/quote]That's all it is. Well, I say "that's all," but it is still a few hundred hours of gameplay. My grades will be going down the toilet starting next week. =\

[quote name='mykevermin']It is very confusing, isn't it? I haven't spent the time to figure out if PS3 GOTY has *just* Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine...[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Oblivion for the PS3 include Knights of the Nine? If that's the case then we're really only getting Shivering Isles with this.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Oblivion for the PS3 include Knights of the Nine? If that's the case then we're really only getting Shivering Isles with this.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

fuck.

[quote name='blackjaw']Now, is Shivering Isles worth 30 more dollars or should I wait for a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I'm getting it at full price as I've already preordered it and paid for a good deal of the game through trade-ins.

I never played the Shivering Isles addons but they were very well received by review sites. They're still $30 on Xbox Live.

If I didn't have it preordered, I'd hit up TRU while the buy 2, get 1 sale is going on this week and get it there. Assuming there are two other $60 games you really want, they'll wind up being about $40 each + tax.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I wish there was an announcement about the DLC already. Dang.[/QUOTE]

The only announcement is that there isn't one. The following is taken from Bethesda's blog.

Mike/Joseph/et al, GotY only includes Oblivion, Knights, and Shiv Isles. It does NOT include any other DLC. Just those three things. Space required is 5400 MB for PS3 version.

Vile Lair is not available in territories with localized versions of Oblivion…France, Germany, etc. I don’t know if that will change or not.

Hear you loud and clear on the DLC for PS3. Sometimes things are not always as cut-and-dry as you’d like them to be for stuff like this. It isn’t just as simple as “well you did it for platform X so it should be easy to bring it to platform Y.” If only it were that easy. I assure you it isn’t.

Left by Pete on October 11th, 2007

There are other mentions that they want to get as much content out for the PS3 version as possible but they haven't for various reasons.

The good news is that, this game is insanely long and involved without any addons. If I ever get to the point where I've finished EVERYTHING in the main game, Shivering Isles and Knight of the Nine, perhaps I'll be more vocal in my complaints.

[quote name='seanr1221']So Oblivion is going to take up 5GB on my HDD?[/quote]Yes. 5400MB, which is a shit-ton of space. o_O

Guess it's time to delete some of those demos I never play...

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Yes. 5400MB, which is a shit-ton of space. o_O

Guess it's time to delete some of those demos I never play...[/QUOTE]

Is that just for helping the load times, etc, kind of what VF5 did?

I had Oblivion on 360 and I dont ever remember it loading anything that large to the HDD other than saves and what not.

Bethesda are confusing the hell out of me. According to their blog, the GOTY version WILL and WILL NOT include Shivering Isles...

We are close, very close to working something out to bring Shivering Isles to PS3 owners. That may be in downloadable form via PSN, or as a standalone retail disc, or both. I can’t say definitively yet that it will happen, and I definitely can’t say when.

the company is also working on a way to make Shivering Isles, available to PS3 owners - perhaps through the PlayStation Store.

Also, Oblivion Game of the Year edition for PS3 is coming to stores next week. It includes Oblivion and the Shivering Isles expansion
:whistle2:k

[quote name='Bezerker']Bethesda are confusing the hell out of me. According to their blog, the GOTY version WILL and WILL NOT include Shivering Isles...[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I think they're trying to say (without enough detail) that they're trying to make Shivering Isles available to current owners of Oblivion.

Here's my understading.
PS3 Oblivion = Oblivion plus Knights of the Nine
PS3 Oblviion GOTY = PS3 Oblivion plus Shivering Isles.

Oblivion is $30 MSRP now, and GOTY will MSRP at $60. So, if Shivering Isles DLC ever shows up, and is less than $30, it's cheaper on the whole for the same product. It remains to be seen, though, *IF* it will appear in DLC form.

bread's done
Back