Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Bound items are for magic users. It allows them to use armor and weapons without having to carry them around, since mages tend to have low strength. They last for a certain amount of time, and then disappear.[/QUOTE]

I always find the pillars that grant them after the difficult part they were obviously meant to help out with >_

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You can get bound armor/weapon spells so you can cast it when you want. The pillars aren't supposed to be your main source of them lol.[/QUOTE]

Just got into the Arcane academy, so hopefully I'll be able to do cool stuff like that now. once I finally go to sleep and level up, that is.

[quote name='Apossum']Just got into the Arcane academy, so hopefully I'll be able to do cool stuff like that now. once I finally go to sleep and level up, that is.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, when you beat the mage's guild quest line you can make your own spells. I never used bound stuff that much since my character is a spellsword. She wears heavy armor naturally, and is more than strong enough for it. I believe bound spells are conjuration, so just make sure you level that skill up for it.

I played the PS3 version about 8 hours this weekend. I've had a taste of the 360 version a bit in the past but wanted to start over with a new character on the PS3 version. Dam this game is awesome. Each time I popped the disc in I couldn't help but play for a few hours at a time.

:lol: you PS3 kids playing that old Oblivion game and all lol ghey!

jk

Glad to see more people are playing the game. If anything, and I don't know if it's downloadable or on the disc, but make it a point to get Wizards Tower as it can be a lifesaver... plus it's great if you want to make spells but don't want to do the mages guild quests.

What everybody wanted to know from the IGN review.

the PS3 version of Oblivion is a definite technical improvement over the 360 edition. Even if you have the latest Xbox patch installed, this newest port holds an advantage with its quicker loading times (which are almost twice as fast as the 360's), fewer framerate hitches, sharper textures, a better draw distance, and a brighter overall picture.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']My oblivion froze again is anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]
Hasn't given me any problems. Only time I had to quit the game was when I went somewhere in the game where I probably wasn't supposed to go and I got stuck.

I got my copy from Gamefly today and played it for a couple of hours. It's definitely an improvement over running it on my PC. I'm sure the PC version *can* look better than either of the console versions if you have a kick-ass computer, but a midrange PC like mine can't compete with the PS3 for resolution or graphical detail. It's really much nicer. For example, the waving grasses on the plains and the waving leaves on the trees. As I recall, I had to dial down the detail on the PC version so much that these were pretty much gone. But on the PS3 version, there they were in their full glory.

I haven't come across any glitches yet, although it does take a little while to get used to using a controller when you're used to using a mouse and keyboard. I'm trying the "set your most used skills as minor skills" technique to try and control my leveling speed. It's definitely counterintuitive to do something like this (my custom class -- which I hope will turn into a strong magic user -- has a bunch of combat-related skills as his major skills). But we'll see how it works out.

This really is an amazing game. Maybe not perfect (I wish they had hired more than 4 or 5 voice actors, for one thing...) but it's much more absorbing than just about any other game I can think of.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']My oblivion froze again is anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]

nope. The only weird thing it did for me was one time when the game was loading, it got to the Bethesda screen then immediately went back to the XMB for some reason. hope it's not my drive messing up.

Did this happen only after you upgraded to 1.6? Cause my system never screwed up before, until that happened after the update. It doesn't seem like the update is causing problems for others though...

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']damn I hope I didnt overheat my system by folding for so long. Hopefully its just a few buggy areas in the game.[/quote]

mine froze up on me like 2 times, only game it will freeze on.....

[quote name='Apossum']Did this happen only after you upgraded to 1.6? Cause my system never screwed up before, until that happened after the update. It doesn't seem like the update is causing problems for others though...[/QUOTE]

It actually could be the update ive never had a problem with the unit freezing up before the update either. But then again I never played oblivion with any other version of the firmware

[quote name='drake0727']mine froze up on me like 2 times, only game it will freeze on.....[/QUOTE]

Ok so im not the only one ^_^
Thats a bit reassuring

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']My oblivion froze again is anyone else having this problem?[/quote]

No, I haven't had any problems at all and I have the latest firware update installed too.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']My oblivion froze again is anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]Just had this problem happen to me for the first time today after only putting in about two hours of play. Needless to say, the game has not made a good first impression. In the middle of combat, the game made a screeching noise and then froze up. I hope they make a patch for it... It's going to be a rough going if this happens fairly regularly. For what it's worth, the freezing has never happened on any other game, and the PS3 itself is only a week old (got a new one back from Sony after my first one was sent in for repairs.)

Speak of the devil Soujiro-- my game froze last night in the same exact way jerfgoke's did.

it was on the first mission you get at the Arcane University. It was at this point-- Spoilers for the mission:
It was right after you get out of the cave and you get ambushed by Necromancers before getting your mage's staff. I was fighting them, the sound got messed up, then the system crashed and I couldn't access the XMB. Restarted and it was fine. It was the most graphically intensive part I've played since everybody was casting spells at once, so I guess the PS3 didn't like that.

Jerfgoke-- sucks it happened right away in your game. I'm up to 20 hours and it hadn't done it yet, so I don't think it'll be a common experience. Sounds like something that needs to be addressed with a patch though...

lol so it seems its probably the game then ^_^

My first freeze came like 4 hours into it when i was trying to sleep to lvl up and the 2nd time it was loading an area and just froze.

I'll have to say that making stable, glitch-free games does not seem to be Bethesda's strongpoint. I haven't had Oblivion crash on me on the PS3 yet, but I had quite a few glitches on the PC version. Some of the quests themselves seemed to be buggy. Hopefully some of these have been corrected in the PS3 version.

[quote name='icruise']I'll have to say that making stable, glitch-free games does not seem to be Bethesda's strongpoint. I haven't had Oblivion crash on me on the PS3 yet, but I had quite a few glitches on the PC version. Some of the quests themselves seemed to be buggy. Hopefully some of these have been corrected in the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

It never has been Bethesda's strongpoint, ever.

[quote name='icruise']I know. I had Call of Cthulhu for Xbox hang up on me about 4 times in the same exact place. That was really annoying.[/QUOTE]

Daggerfall was a mess ;)

What's scary is that Bethesda has actually gotten better with its bug testing :lol:

[quote name='drake0727']mine froze up on me like 2 times, only game it will freeze on.....[/quote]

My system (20GB launch) froze one time in Marvel:Ultimate Alliance after I finished the Weasel "where to hide" subquest. It also froze on a friend of mine who is playing the 360 version, so I guess glitchy games are coming more common. ;) I had forgotten to save after returning from Murderworld and had to do most of the ending of that section again... yeesh! ;) Teach me to save more often... heh. (I'm moving to the last act in the game and it's not frozen up since...)

Still, though (knock on wood) I've played a little bit of Oblivion on my PS3 and it's not locked up *yet*... but I'm prepared for it....

[quote name='Apossum']Rubber bands + analog sticks + 8 hours = athletics[/quote]
Ridiculously high athletics + average everything else + NPC level scaling = death.

I haven't played any of the other next generations versions of this game yet. The last one I played was the XBOX. Is this worth a rental or am I going to need to play more to get the game experience. (Have free rental coupon and was going to either get this or cooking mama for WII today)

Ive been playing Oblivion like crazy on my 360 with no problems. I was just woundering if id be doing myself any justice buying it again for my Ps3 ??? Dose it or dose it not have any of the extra content. If this was brought up already Im missed it. Thanks...

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Ridiculously high athletics + average everything else + NPC level scaling = death.[/QUOTE]

I'm underlevelling. and I have almost everything at at least 50, besides Sneak (which is at 100), Security (30), and Hand to Hand (10.) I'll probably finish the main quest at this level, then see how many levels I can gain after all is said and done. (while keeping a save where I am, of course.)

plus Master Sneak guarantees me the first shot at 6x damage on almost every enemy anyway. :)

I haven't played any of the other next generations versions of this game yet. The last one I played was the XBOX. Is this worth a rental or am I going to need to play more to get the game experience. (Have free rental coupon and was going to either get this or cooking mama for WII today)

You could have fun with a rental, but you'll get hooked to it and buy it to get the whole experience, so just save the rental money and buy it ;)
i'm sure you'll get more for your money than with Cooking Mama.

So far, I've made 3 different characters on the PS3 version of the game (and a few on the PC version). I've been trying to perfect a class for use with the "underleveling" idea, and I think I've got the hang of it now. You could probably make it through the whole game on level 1 if you really wanted to (and you'd actually be pretty powerful for a level 1, since your skills level up even if your attributes don't). But you wouldn't get to see the most powerful monsters or get many (any?) magic items.

to be totally honest, under leveling makes the game very boring. A majority of the good stuff to see and enjoy comes with being leveled.

I can say the game is harder, but totally worth the effort.

You're missing the point. You don't actually stay a low level the whole game (what I mentioned above was just a theoretical musing). The idea is to become more powerful at a lower level, because you ensure that you get +5 for your attributes each and every time you level. You do take longer to level, but that's intentional.

[quote name='icruise']You're missing the point. You don't actually stay a low level the whole game (what I mentioned above was just a theoretical musing). The idea is to become more powerful at a lower level, because you ensure that you get +5 for your attributes each and every time you level. You do take longer to level, but that's intentional.[/QUOTE]

point taken. makes sense now :)

as for horses, they are the most useless thing in the game (heck, the useless calipers have more use than them in Shivering Isles). Somehow I can't look at horse riding being ever better than Shadow of the Colossus.

Yeah, there's not really much point to riding horses in Oblivion, given the fact that you can fast-travel just about everywhere. Although it is apparently true that if you are riding a horse when you select fast travel, you'll get to your destination "faster" (less game time will have passed). But for the most part, game time is unlimited, so that's not really much of an incentive.

You have to realize how you level up in Oblivion. You only contribute to your level by using your major skills. For the other skills, you can use them forever and it won't contribute to your level. And you can kill any number of monsters without leveling, assuming you kill them with your minor skills.

The idea behind what I was describing earlier is that you can choose major skills that your character won't be using very often to prevent yourself from leveling when you don't want to. When you level up, you are given a choice of three attributes to increase, and the amount that they increase depends on how much you've used their associated skills during that level. For example, Destruction magic is associated with Willpower, so if you cast a lot of Destruction spells, your bonus to Willpower may be +4 or +5.

If you choose major skills that you use all the time, you'll end up leveling up before you get a chance to fully practice all of your skills, which makes your leveling bonus smaller (maybe just +2). Of course, all of this is really only important if you want to make the absolute strongest character possible. You can get through the game with most combinations of skills.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm underlevelling. and I have almost everything at at least 50, besides Sneak (which is at 100), Security (30), and Hand to Hand (10.) I'll probably finish the main quest at this level, then see how many levels I can gain after all is said and done. (while keeping a save where I am, of course.)

plus Master Sneak guarantees me the first shot at 6x damage on almost every enemy anyway. :)

You could have fun with a rental, but you'll get hooked to it and buy it to get the whole experience, so just save the rental money and buy it ;)
i'm sure you'll get more for your money than with Cooking Mama.[/QUOTE]

Kind of figured that but so many games so little time.....my stack just keeps growing. Trying to finish Godfather now.

[quote name='icruise']You have to realize how you level up in Oblivion. You only contribute to your level by using your major skills. For the other skills, you can use them forever and it won't contribute to your level. And you can kill any number of monsters without leveling, assuming you kill them with your minor skills.

The idea behind what I was describing earlier is that you can choose major skills that your character won't be using very often to prevent yourself from leveling when you don't want to. When you level up, you are given a choice of three attributes to increase, and the amount that they increase depends on how much you've used their associated skills during that level. For example, Destruction magic is associated with Willpower, so if you cast a lot of Destruction spells, your bonus to Willpower may be +4 or +5.

If you choose major skills that you use all the time, you'll end up leveling up before you get a chance to fully practice all of your skills, which makes your leveling bonus smaller (maybe just +2). Of course, all of this is really only important if you want to make the absolute strongest character possible. You can get through the game with most combinations of skills.[/quote]

I jsut realized it's because I choose mercantilism. Any suggestions on where to sell stuff?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I jsut realized it's because I choose mercantilism. Any suggestions on where to sell stuff?[/QUOTE]

Try and go to the merchant who sells the item you want to sell.. if you have jewelry, go to the jeweler in the Imperial city etc. Also, look for merchants with low mercantile ratings, persuade them till their disposition is maxed, then haggle them as high as they'll go.

Carry as much stuff as you can, keep all weapons that have any value, even if you won't use them, and sell it all. Another good way to get stuff to sell is to do alchemy. Harvest a ton of plants, make as many potions as possible, sell them all at about 10-20 gold a piece. That's the only way I could get decent money for the first 10 hours or so.

for the most part, game time is unlimited, so that's not really much of an incentive.

just curious about what you mean by "for the most part." Is there a certain point where you can't get quests or some other time sensitive factor?

as for horses, they are the most useless thing in the game (heck, the useless calipers have more use than them in Shivering Isles). Somehow I can't look at horse riding being ever better than Shadow of the Colossus.

speaking of which, the calipers, shovels, scales, crystal balls, all that random crap you find-- does any of it have a use or is it just there for the hell of it?

[quote name='Apossum']
speaking of which, the calipers, shovels, scales, crystal balls, all that random crap you find-- does any of it have a use or is it just there for the hell of it?[/QUOTE]

really, 90% they won't be for anything, but every once in a while you'll find you need some of that stuff. One of the best ones is the Deadra Shrine missions... make sure you don't miss doing the Sheogoroth mission that requires some yarn as it's fun as hell and a real kick to do :) Nice twist at the end.

Shviring isles has a mission revolving to how many clamps you can get...

on that note, when Shivering Isles is available on the PSS, get it. It's way better than the main game on the disk... so so so much better. Plus every sidequest is never dull.

[quote name='Apossum']
just curious about what you mean by "for the most part." Is there a certain point where you can't get quests or some other time sensitive factor?
[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can miss game events permanently, but there are some things that require you to be at a certain place at a certain time, so I guess riding a horse could allow you to get there in time for those. But you can just wait until the next day and try again if you happen to miss them.

[quote name='panasonic']So compared to the 360 is slowdown an issue.[/QUOTE]

Having played through a good part of the 360 version, I started a new game and pressed buttons rapidly though the dialog. When the assassins attacked the Emperor's party, things got to a slideshow...

I was disappointed, and was thinking about selling the game, so I erased my save game.

Well, cooler heads prevailed, and started again, and worked through the introduction at a normal rate. So far, no really bad frame rate issues.

[quote name='icruise']So far, I've made 3 different characters on the PS3 version of the game (and a few on the PC version). I've been trying to perfect a class for use with the "underleveling" idea, and I think I've got the hang of it now. You could probably make it through the whole game on level 1 if you really wanted to (and you'd actually be pretty powerful for a level 1, since your skills level up even if your attributes don't). But you wouldn't get to see the most powerful monsters or get many (any?) magic items.[/quote]

I was going to do that too but my head started hurting so I decided to skip the micromanaging. Basically your major skills should be skills that you can control while your minor skills should be skills that you plan on using often. That way if you are a fighter, you can swing away to your heart's content and you won't level up since only major skills cause you to level up.

By the way, I noticed that Goozex has an entry for the Shivering Isles expansion on their site (they often have entries for games that aren't yet released). Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, since they also sometimes list games that ended up being canceled, etc. But at least someone has put a PS3 version of the expansion into the Muse database that Goozex gets its info from, which is encouraging since it hasn't even been announced yet to my knowledge.

[quote name='Apossum']Did this happen only after you upgraded to 1.6? Cause my system never screwed up before, until that happened after the update. It doesn't seem like the update is causing problems for others though...[/QUOTE]

it happened to me while I was playing motorstorm (game going back to the cross media bar) seemed to happen when I was online, and pushed a button on my bluetooth headset.. but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Having played through a good part of the 360 version, I started a new game and pressed buttons rapidly though the dialog. When the assassins attacked the Emperor's party, things got to a slideshow...

I was disappointed, and was thinking about selling the game, so I erased my save game.

Well, cooler heads prevailed, and started again, and worked through the introduction at a normal rate. So far, no really bad frame rate issues.[/QUOTE]

for some reason, the sewer mission has a lot of slowdown (and straight up pauses) but after that, it's smooth sailing.

bread's done
Back