Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

picked up my copy today. fps is mostly smooth. and a little choppy if there are alot of characters on the screen. colors are washed out as with all ps3 games (can this be fixed?) but still its the same experience. thumbs up.

[quote name='Mogambi']When someone gets this can they let me know if it displays 1080I resolution. Thanks![/QUOTE]

nope, just 720p

[quote name='Apossum']here's some good advice for the beginning of the game (credit: RyuHayabusaX from gamefaqs.)[/QUOTE]
Actually I thought I read somewhere that the best way to level up was to chose MAJOR skills that you do NOT use but are easily increased. The theory is that would want to mazimize the attribute points you receive each time you level up. And therefore, you don't want to level up until you can get the maximum attribute points. Once you can get the maximum, you then level up those MAJOR skills.

[quote name='Apossum']nope, just 720p[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Apossum, did you test it or just going by what the box says? Because VF5 only says 720p on the back of the box but actually outputs at 1080I. Thanks!

[quote name='cheapfrag']Actually I thought I read somewhere that the best way to level up was to chose MAJOR skills that you do NOT use but are easily increased. The theory is that would want to mazimize the attribute points you receive each time you level up. And therefore, you don't want to level up until you can get the maximum attribute points. Once you can get the maximum, you then level up those MAJOR skills.[/QUOTE]

Interesting..is this proven? what would be some good rarely used skills to add then? I just got out of the sewer, but if this is true, I'll have to reload my save and change my custom class up.

[quote name='Mogambi']Thanks for the reply Apossum, did you test it or just going by what the box says? Because VF5 only says 720p on the back of the box but actually outputs at 1080I. Thanks![/QUOTE]

oh good point, I forgot about that new upscaling deal. I just went by what the box says since I have 1080i/480p hdtv.

[quote name='Apossum']oh good point, I forgot about that new upscaling deal. I just went by what the box says since I have 1080i/480p hdtv.[/QUOTE]

what new upscaling deal?

[quote name='dpatel']what new upscaling deal?[/quote]

In January, Sony revealed to Developers that the ps3 does have an internel scaler and gave them the tools in order to use it. Therefore, new games can scale, older games don't.

[quote name='dpatel']what new upscaling deal?[/QUOTE]

I guess the more recently released PS3 games are upscaling to 1080i...I have no idea about details though.

This game is running pretty smooth so far. there have been a few hitches when tutorial windows pop up, but outside the sewer, it's all very smooth, with only a quick skipped frame or two when it loads. The framerate is definitely better. it's not much of a difference, definitely not enough to sell your 360 version if you weren't bothered by tech stuff to begin with, but I think it plays smoother overall.

I don't want to totally speak for him, but I believe he is referring to the fact that a few recent titles do upscale to 1080I, 2 of them being Sonic and VF5.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']In January, Sony revealed to Developers that the ps3 does have an internel scaler and gave them the tools in order to use it. Therefore, new games can scale, older games don't.[/QUOTE]

whoa! So the 720p downscaling to 480p is no longer an issue (for new games)?

[quote name='dpatel']whoa! So the 720p downscaling to 480p is no longer an issue (for new games)?[/QUOTE]

my TV says it's displaying at 1080i with 720p games, but it doesn't look any better...so I don't think they fixed that scaling problem.

[quote name='dpatel']whoa! So the 720p downscaling to 480p is no longer an issue (for new games)?[/quote]

Yeah I know VF5 works, because I have it, but unfortunately Motorstorm still downconverts to 480p :(

[quote name='Apossum']Interesting..is this proven? what would be some good rarely used skills to add then? I just got out of the sewer, but if this is true, I'll have to reload my save and change my custom class up.[/QUOTE]

If I may offer my unsolicited advice:

You really don't need to min-max to this degree, where you're trying to get the most attribute points from each level up. Just increase the stats you use the most, or that have the biggest bonus (a +5 over a +2) or which seem to be lacking for the way you play (you can't carry enough loot out of dungeons, so up your STR). Most stats stop having an applicable effect past 100 anyway, and you'll find stat boosting items later on. I'm at lvl 32 now, and I haven't had difficulty taking down much of anything since lvl 20 or so, though admittedly everything from trolls to wild boars kicked my ass for many levels at first.

What I do suggest is not doubling up on certain skills, like Light and Heavy Armor, or Blades, Blunt, and Hand to Hand (or even Marksman and Destruction magic). You really only need one or the other. Some things like Athletics and Block will get used so much, you won't have any problem getting points in them, even as minor skills.

On a final note, if you plan on playing even a slightly magic-oriented character, don't forget to put points into your Intelligence. It seems like if you work on your magic skills enough, eventually you'll be able to cast any spell from that school. Not true. You also need enough Magicka points to cast them, and you get those from a high Int. If you don't have that, even if you're a Master in a school, you're S.O.L. when it comes to casting the big, bad spells later on.

The weird thing about Oblivion is how it powers up your enemies as you go up in level. On the one hand, it means that you'll always have something of a challenge, but on the other you don't ever really have that moment you get in so many RPGs where you can go back and totally kick the ass of some monster that gave you trouble in your early levels.

[quote name='icruise']The weird thing about Oblivion is how it powers up your enemies as you go up in level. On the one hand, it means that you'll always have something of a challenge, but on the other you don't ever really have that moment you get in so many RPGs where you can go back and totally kick the ass of some monster that gave you trouble in your early levels.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that about this game. To me, it seems like a bad thing. The whole point of leveling up is to get much better than your opponents.

It can be annoying, although you do of course get stronger and have new abilities, so it's not like you feel like you're making no progress at all. But if you're used to other games, it can be sort of a shock.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea. I find it extremely rewarding in RPGs when I can go back to the little monsters and 1 hit them all.[/quote]

My favorite thing to do in Diablo II....

On the bright side, it basically means that you can never "beat" the game by becoming too power for all of the content. You'll always have something that you can do to give you a challenge, and I think that helps the game be so long-lived.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']My favorite thing to do in Diablo II....[/QUOTE]

killing the T-rex in FFXII is like that, though you can do that pretty early on :)

Interesting how Oblivion works...so how does it feel different then at later levels? just bigger, badder monsters?

[quote name='whoknows']So what places have it today? Best Buy and Circuit City won't have it til Thursday or Friday it looks like.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up at EB.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea. I find it extremely rewarding in RPGs when I can go back to the little monsters and 1 hit them all.[/quote]

What's nice about the PC version is that several people have already made mods that allow you to level while all the enemies in the game stay the same level....so you can go back later to the weaker ones and 1 hit them. Too bad the 360 or PS3 versions don't allow for custom mods.

[quote name='Thomas96']huh?! It's not online at all?[/QUOTE]

Nope. All it has is downloadable content (although I don't think the PS3 version has any yet).

Actually, I like the fact that it's not online. I've played enough MMORPGs to get tired of a few things:

1. Nothing you do in the game world has any permanence. If other people have to have access to certain monsters or quests, that means that even after you finish an epic quest, the monster you just killed will respawn in a matter of minutes.

2. There are a lot of jerks out there. And if they aren't jerks, they're often people who don't know what the hell they're doing.

3. MMORPGs generally don't have the most inspired quests, or very good one-player content. ("Go collect 87 boar snouts.") They are also usually pretty light on the "RPG" part of the game -- you don't actually do much role playing.

[quote name='Apossum']freezing happened on 2 different 360s I owned, and the frame rate sucked and dragged on every 360 I've seen the game on (quite a few)

hopefully it runs better on the PS3.[/quote]

I had it get glitchy, but that was due to a caching problem. The terrain would freeze while loading and the game became nearly unplayable. I had some spots that would load a town or dungeon for up to 10 minutes.

Then I found out that all you have to do is hold down one of the colored buttons while the game boots up and it clears the cache. Not a single problem after that. I cleared that probably every few starts and I never had a problem again.

Bottom line is that I am not sure if the PS3 version will have this problem or not, but keep it in mind, just in case. My guess is that this may have been your problem...if you've tried that, then I'm out of suggestions. I don't have a PS3, but I hope that version looks good...its a great game.

TBW

LOL okay... then I'll give this game a try.. should I wait till thursday to get the game from CC 10 dollars off... orrrrrr just get it earlier from eb/gs...

[quote name='Thomas96']LOL okay... then I'll give this game a try.. should I wait till thursday to get the game from CC 10 dollars off... orrrrrr just get it earlier from eb/gs...[/QUOTE]

Depends. Do you have a lot of time to game for the next couple of days or not? If not, wait. Saving money is always good. :)

[quote name='icruise']The weird thing about Oblivion is how it powers up your enemies as you go up in level. On the one hand, it means that you'll always have something of a challenge, but on the other you don't ever really have that moment you get in so many RPGs where you can go back and totally kick the ass of some monster that gave you trouble in your early levels.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I didn't think this was as well implemented as well as it could be. There were too many instances where it took me c. 60 arrows, innumerable spells, and fifteen minutes of hit and run sword slashing to kill something I came across early on, and now that I'm farther along, stuff seems a bit too easy. I dropped the baddie at the end of the Mage's Guild quest in two hits flat, for example. So, in short, it's more like a traditional RPG than it probably means to be.

Don't forget, though: you can move the difficulty slider around at any time, so if you're stuck or cleaning house too easily, just move it a point or two and see how that goes. The game is clearly designed not to bust your hump on purpose.

I love how I can get sidetracked for 2 hours in a cave the minute I step out of the sewer, while meaning to go to the main town to stock up and get new weapons. :lol:

[quote name='Thomas96']LOL okay... then I'll give this game a try.. should I wait till thursday to get the game from CC 10 dollars off... orrrrrr just get it earlier from eb/gs...[/quote]

Or just bring hte CC ad with you to EBgames and get it for 50$ today like I did...

Man, dpatel. I thought you'd be all over that news.

I posted a thread about it and got only one reply.
I think very few people know about this.

Not all new games upscale though. Sonic and VF5 do. MLB2K7 and Motorstorm do not (though Motorstorm is a little understandable).

This game is an unknown at the moment.

UPDATE: Apparently, it does not. :(

[quote name='2Fast']Is it bad that I want a PS3 and this version of Oblivion even though I put 125+ hours into the 360 version?[/quote]

Game must be pretty good.
Guess I'll have to give it a spin as I passed on it first time around.

[quote name='2Fast']Is it bad that I want a PS3 and this version of Oblivion even though I put 125+ hours into the 360 version?[/quote]

Since you have Krang as your avatar, no.

panasonicR says nope you are what they call Oblivion Crazy :bouncy:

[quote name='2Fast']Is it bad that I want a PS3 and this version of Oblivion even though I put 125+ hours into the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you would, but no, I guess not if it's a really good game :)
I had beyond good and evil on 3 separate systems and there was zero difference between them.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't see why you would, but no, I guess not if it's a really good game :)
I had beyond good and evil on 3 separate systems and there was zero difference between them.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just an excuse to play another 125+ hours.

I'm tempted to cancel my Shining Force EXA & grab this. I know, I know, most people would say that's a no-brainer. *shrug* I liked Neo, and want EXA, but it certainly wouldn't kill me to wait for a price drop on it - assuming there is one.

And did someone say price match @ EB? Do they do that now?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Or just bring hte CC ad with you to EBgames and get it for 50$ today like I did...[/QUOTE]

say what?! EB price matches!

even though it tecnically shipped early when will circuit city have this game friday like it says in the ad or earlier

[quote name='Draccius']Depends. Do you have a lot of time to game for the next couple of days or not? If not, wait. Saving money is always good. :)[/QUOTE]

on friday I'll be at work.. I wanted to get it early so that I could get a day or two to play on my day off.. but I'm going to try that price match thing at eb... hopefully it works.

bread's done
Back