Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

[quote name='solid snake']you dont get it dude,for those of us that havent playe it and would like to but dont wanna spend $400 on a crapbox 360 and are getting a ps3 its good news.[/QUOTE]

CONGRADULATIONS you've earned a spot on ignore list. REASON: Trolling Fanboy.

fucking hate fanboy idiots. :bomb:

[quote name='DarkNessBear']DERR DA PS3 IS T3H PERFECT IT NOT WASTE OF CASH CAG HATE SONY CAUSE THEY ST0PIT[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about you. You too earn a trusted spot on my ignore list for being a dumbass fanboy.

Why is it that the only FBs I find on CAG are Sony hoes?

Never4Ever post was magical.

Their is the solution to all life's problems. If you cant argue against, just ignore it!

I go were the games are... PC60S3WII!

[quote name='omegaweapon7']hmmm, trade GTA (which has been multi console for a while anyway) for oblivion? HELL YES.[/QUOTE]

Trade? Are you in a console fantasy league or something?

[quote name='omegaweapon7']hmmm, trade GTA (which has been multi console for a while anyway) for oblivion? HELL YES.[/QUOTE]

I like Oblivion more than GTA myself, but somehow I doubt the 13 million GTA fans would agree with you.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']hmmm, trade GTA (which has been multi console for a while anyway) for oblivion? HELL YES.[/quote]

Im confused.

GTA is coming out for the PS3...

[quote name='omegaweapon7']hmmm, trade GTA (which has been multi console for a while anyway) for oblivion? HELL YES.[/quote]
Both of those games are on both of the systems.

The real question in all of this is if it will be worth re-buying the game. As others have said, the bonus content will probably come to 360/PC, but if I could play a console version with a cleaned up framerate and less loading, it might just be worth the double dip.

As for the PSP version, if it's at least pretty good, I'm in for sure.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Both of those games are on both of the systems.[/quote]But the 360 version of GTA will have exclusive downloadable episodes and the PS3 version of Oblivion will have (to what degree, we don't know) improved graphics and more content.

[quote name='Z-Saber']But the 360 version of GTA will have exclusive downloadable episodes and the PS3 version of Oblivion will have (to what degree, we don't know) improved graphics and more content.[/QUOTE]
But we do know for sure yet that the PS3 GTA4 won't have bonus missions as well? I know FEAR is getting released to both systems with unique bonus levels, so I would expect GTA4 might end up similar. As others have said, the extra Oblivion content will likely end up downloadable for X360/PC.

It sounds like Oblivion PS3 will be great for those without an X360 or PC to run it, but otherwise I can't imagine it will be that much different. If it did happen to come out with noticably improved graphics and framerate that would be a knock against the X360, but not as much as if they had been released at the same time. It's a lot easier to clean things up for a later release.

Games like Tony Hawk's Project 8, GTA4, and others will be the real test of graphics and framerate comparisons.

[quote name='elwood731']But we do know for sure yet that the PS3 GTA4 won't have bonus missions as well? I know FEAR is getting released to both systems with unique bonus levels, so I would expect GTA4 might end up similar. As others have said, the extra Oblivion content will likely end up downloadable for X360/PC.[/quote]All I know is that at X06, they announced that GTA4 will have exclusive stuff for the 360. At TGS, they said Oblivion will have some more areas and whatnot. Whether or not they said "exclusive" I don't know.

[quote name='Z-Saber']All I know is that at X06, they announced that GTA4 will have exclusive stuff for the 360. At TGS, they said Oblivion will have some more areas and whatnot. Whether or not they said "exclusive" I don't know.[/quote]

I've never seen the word "exclusive" attached to the Oblivion content for the PS3. I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't downloadable content for the PC and X360 at some point. I don't think Bethesda would want to upset the huge fanbase that already owns the game and why would they want to miss out on the opportunity to make a few more bucks off of all the PC and X360 players?

By the same token, I would also be surprised if the PS3 version of GTAIV also didn't have different exclusive content that can only be played on that version. At least, it's certainly within the realm of possibility at this point.

[quote name='shipwreck']
By the same token, I would also be surprised if the PS3 version of GTAIV also didn't have different exclusive content that can only be played on that version. At least, it's certainly within the realm of possibility at this point.[/quote]

Yea, they just mentioned that the 360 version will have EXCLUSIVE Episodes. They didn't say it is the only console that is doing EXLCUSIVE Episodes. For all we know, each console could have its own episodes. Sort of like Soul Calibur had different characters.

That'd be the most likely of cases.

[quote name='shipwreck']I've never seen the word "exclusive" attached to the Oblivion content for the PS3. I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't downloadable content for the PC and X360 at some point. I don't think Bethesda would want to upset the huge fanbase that already owns the game and why would they want to miss out on the opportunity to make a few more bucks off of all the PC and X360 players?

By the same token, I would also be surprised if the PS3 version of GTAIV also didn't have different exclusive content that can only be played on that version. At least, it's certainly within the realm of possibility at this point.[/quote]
Or they could be working on a Game of the Year edition to release with the DLC from the PC/360 and the PS3 extras sometime next year like they did with ESIII.

Got my copy of OPM today and I'm reading the big feature on Oblivion. Here's the cliffnotes:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (arriving at the PS3 launch)

There will be 10-20 hours of added content/gameplay (including the stuff that's already been mentioned in this thread).

There's two comparison screenshots between the same scene on the 360 and PS3 to show the difference in texture detail of distant landscapes (this one's a view of a river and the land on the other side). This increase means less pop-up on distant landscape and a more seamless transition between the distant and immediate land surrounding the player.

The downloadable content from the PC/360 versions will not be included in the retail release on the PS3. *This is news I don't really get if they're trying to make this the best version of the game yet.*

Will the downloadable content be available for download on day one of the launch? Maybe. They're playing the "lack on online info from Sony" card, but they hope to make it available soon enough.

They plan to offer more downloadable content on all platforms for the game as long as the players want it.

The Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion (arriving sometime in 2007)

The PSP version is a dungeon-crawling adventure game with 10 large levels in a different storyline from Oblivion on the consoles. "No wide-open, wander-the-landscape kind of stuff. It's more hack-and-slashy, button-mashy."

Refering to what's in the game from the console versions: "You'll be able to create your own character, look at your character, and it'll update live when you change your equipment. 18 of the 21 skills from the console versions are in the game, the others don't apply to the storyline or gameplay. And you have all the core attributes and perks; all that stuff is still there. That functionality is all parallel."

Impressions from an early build: "we found the indoor environments richly detailed, and while the controls took some getting used to, the core gameplay was all present and accounted for. [...]Travels really does feel like a portable Oblivion."

The PSP version is not expected to have any connectivity features with the PS3 version due to being released much later.

PSP Controls: The designers cite Metroid Prime as an influence on the controls. "Unfortunately, the controls are too complex to allow for the elegant Syhon Filter-style control scheme."

A look at the movement controls:

Analog stick - Front-and-back movement and turning side to side.
L button - Strafe.
R button - Free-look.

There are some more specifics about the new content and the game overall and its impact on the industry in the short time after its release.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']CONGRADULATIONS you've earned a spot on ignore list. REASON: Trolling Fanboy.

fucking hate fanboy idiots. :bomb:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about you. You too earn a trusted spot on my ignore list for being a dumbass fanboy.

Why is it that the only FBs I find on CAG are Sony hoes?[/QUOTE]

Sorry i still stick by games not systems, so ports are always nice, but again I cant justify buying another system to play the same game. Thats not fanboy, thats just logistics.

Very bad news about the PSP version of Oblivion. The reason I love the Elder Scrolls games is the wide open do anything world, and not having that in the PSP version is a very bad decision.

[quote name='shipwreck']I've never seen the word "exclusive" attached to the Oblivion content for the PS3. I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't downloadable content for the PC and X360 at some point. I don't think Bethesda would want to upset the huge fanbase that already owns the game and why would they want to miss out on the opportunity to make a few more bucks off of all the PC and X360 players?

How we lookin'? :lol:

[quote name='shipwreck']How we lookin'? :lol:[/quote]Well, now that one isn't an exlusive and the other is probably not...

[quote name='shipwreck']How we lookin'? :lol:[/quote]

Heh. I was just reading through this thread and thought your original post was more recent cosidering the Oblivion news that is hitting all of the sites. Good call on that one.

[quote name='shipwreck']How we lookin'? :lol:[/quote]
Nobody's ever said this content was exclusive, so you look like a showboating ass. ;) j/k

It was expected by anyone that read the info because nothing was ever mentioned as exclusive, only fanboys would add that word to it.

Couldn't find an official thread, so here it is.

It comes out this week!

I wasn't a huge fan of the 360 version, mostly because of the glitchiness, awful framerate, and loading, but if all of that's fixed in this one, I'm definitely picking it up. I want to like the game so bad...anyone picking this up on launch day? I might trade some stuff in towards it.

REVIEWS:
1up - http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158125
9.5 because it isn't upgradeable/expandable right out of the box, has graphical improvements, but some new audio flaws (I know what he means, sometimes after you exit a conversation the person's voice booms through your speakers.)

here's some good advice for the beginning of the game (credit: RyuHayabusaX from gamefaqs.)

1. Make sure to choose a custom ****/u>
What this means is that in the beginning you'll be given a choice to choose your **** with 7 MAJOR SKILLS. Don't do the mistake I did and choose a premade ****that has major skills you'll never use(I never used axes, so don't choose BLUNT). You can make a Orc who is good with alchemy but can also summon things while healing people at the same time. These 7 major skills will make you level up, increase them by a combination of 10 and you go up a level, so make sure you choose your 7 skills wisely. You'll be using Blade and Block a lot, and you'll run and jump a lot(Athletics and Acrobatics) so see what you want to choose. Those will go up naturally so you don't have to make those your major skills, you'll be running a lot.

2. When to save, ESPECIALLY at the beginning.
You have to go through a 30 minute dungen sequence before you get to explore the beautiful world of Oblivion. However, before you can be set free, the game asks you whether you want to change your character in any way(they let you experiment in the dungeons and then you can change it). This is a VERY good place to save your game, because when you want to make a new character later, you'll have to go through the 30 minute dungeon all over again. But, if you saved it right before you escape the Sewers, you can always load this save whenever you want to make a new character and save time. Also, just save A LOT, sometimes a glitch might happen or you want to go back. I had over 500 saves, so you might want to do the same. Some had 5000.

3. Easy way to level up some skills.
Block-put the game on the easiest setting and just hold L, enemies will attack you, you hardly use health, and the more you block the better your block gets.

Magic-*** If you constantly reuse a certain magic, it goes up. For example Conjuration summons creatures. You can constantly press the button to summon that creature, and when your magic runs out, sleep(have a bed in front of you while you do this) so that your magic comes back instantly and you keep doing this until your magic goes up to however high you want it to.

Everything else-Just use that skill more, the more you use it the higher it goes, if you play it a lot it will still come naturally.

4. Quests, side quests, Factions, Main Quest
In this game, many people try to do the main quest but they get distracted with other quests. My advice is to do a lot of the factions before you really start on the main quest. You can play however you want to, but if you do all the factions, you'll get some of the best equipment in the game. For example if you're a member of the Fighter's Guild, you can take whatever you want from their building, even if it's an ultra powerful sword, and it won't be considered stealing. The more quests you do the more rewards you get, and these rewards are usually HUGE. Another example is that if you go through the Dark Brotherhood(basically they kill bad people, it's sort of evil in a way), in the middle you get Shadowmere, the best horse in the game, who CAN'T die(other horses can) and will fight(whoever you're fighting, he fights that enemy), and he's faster.

5. PICKING LOCKS
In this game, picking locks can be VERY challenging at times. You go through 5 bars, if you fail one you start all over again. Sometimes there's a chest with a VERY HARD lock that holds treasure but you can't open it. There is a way. It's called the Skeleton Key, the unbreakable lockpick.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Nocturnal

When you get this(you must be level 10) you can open any lock and your lockpicks won't break, and trust me lockpicks can become troublesome, as you'll waste them a lot. With this, you can go ANYWHERE you want to in the game, definitely get this!

[quote name='CAG 79']I never thought the framerate was bad at all on the 360 and what glitches are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

My 360 would freeze when I went to sleep so it was unplayable for me.

[quote name='CAG 79']I never thought the framerate was bad at all on the 360 and what glitches are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

It froze up a lot for me. and any time a few enemies were on the screen it got choppy for me, as well as when I walked around outside towns. turning around fast didn't seem to agree with it very well either.

just my (and others) experience. sorry!

anyway, back to the PS3 version of the game...

I think it was people's 360's and not the game. I never had problems with my copy either. Ask Zewone about a glitchy copy of TESO though ;)

freezing happened on 2 different 360s I owned, and the frame rate sucked and dragged on every 360 I've seen the game on (quite a few)

hopefully it runs better on the PS3.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I think it was people's 360's and not the game. I never had problems with my copy either. Ask Zewone about a glitchy copy of TESO though ;)[/QUOTE]

apparently these glitches were apparent on the PC version as well, so I believe it was a fault of the game. Either way, most reviews seem to say that the game has improved, which is great.

[quote name='whoknows']I want to get this, but I'm having trouble deciding between this and Armored Core 4[/quote]

Seeing how Oblivion is 50$ at Circuit City, I am going with Oblivion.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Seeing how Oblivion is 50$ at Circuit City, I am going with Oblivion.[/QUOTE]
If its just a $10 difference I'd rather get the game I'd enjoy more...but I haven't really played much of an Elder Scrolls game so I don't know how much I'd enjoy Oblivion, however I love the AC games.

[quote name='whoknows']If its just a $10 difference I'd rather get the game I'd enjoy more...but I haven't really played much of an Elder Scrolls game so I don't know how much I'd enjoy Oblivion, however I love the AC games.[/quote]
True, but EGM only gave AC 4 a 4.5 or something like that, and Oblivion seems like an awesome game, and the great thing about oblivion is that there is so much to do it will last me until warhawk and heavenly sword come out. Plus, with that 10$ you save you can then also buy Calling All Cars.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']True, but EGM only gave AC 4 a 4.5 or something like that, and Oblivion seems like an awesome game, and the great thing about oblivion is that there is so much to do it will last me until warhawk and heavenly sword come out. Plus, with that 10$ you save you can then also buy Calling All Cars.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I don't listen to any review magazines or sites anymore on games, especially EGM. I've seen people(magazines and review sites) give games the highest score and the games end up sucking. I've seen people give the lowest scores to games and I still enjoy them. A review is someone opinion on a game really and if someone hates that genre of a game they are going to hate the game.

[quote name='Apossum']freezing happened on 2 different 360s I owned, and the frame rate sucked and dragged on every 360 I've seen the game on (quite a few)

hopefully it runs better on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

They are supposed to patch the 360 version to fix a lot of the problems and upgrade the graphics to PS3 levels so you may want to wait and see how the upgraded 360 version compares to the PS3 version.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']They are supposed to patch the 360 version to fix a lot of the problems and upgrade the graphics to PS3 levels so you may want to wait and see how the upgraded 360 version compares to the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, I don't own a 360 right now or else would pick up a cheap used copy if it was fixed up nicely.

I'm interested to see how this version turns out. Are there any reviews any where yet?

not that I know of. I'll put them in the title as they come.

I have over 120 hours in my oblivion for the 360. I have all the achievements. I think the game froze up on my 3 times in al lthat time. I can't wait for Shivering Isles

[quote name='dsullo']I have over 120 hours in my oblivion for the 360. I have all the achievements. I think the game froze up on my 3 times in al lthat time. I can't wait for Shivering Isles[/QUOTE]
Same here, except mine never froze. I was considering getting the PS3 version, but I can't abandon all the work I put into my character. Not to mention there's been no word on when Shivering Isles will be made available for the PS3.

Not to mention no achievements...

I have Oblivion for the PC and played it quite a bit, but I'm considering getting the PS3 version. I didn't get far enough into the main quest to make it a problem to re-roll my character. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to trying something different. And my PC is a midrange model, so while it plays Oblivion competently, I'm pretty sure it will look better on the PS3. The main question that I have is whether the PS3 version will legitimately look better than the 360 version (as the Bethesda devs have implied). Up until now, ports of 360 games to the PS3 have at best looked about the same as the 360 version. They never seem to turn out better. But then again, Oblivion was originally supposed to be a PS3 launch game and it has been delayed for some extra polish, so that might be a good sign.

[quote name='icruise']I have Oblivion for the PC and played it quite a bit, but I'm considering getting the PS3 version. I didn't get far enough into the main quest to make it a problem to re-roll my character. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to trying something different. And my PC is a midrange model, so while it plays Oblivion competently, I'm pretty sure it will look better on the PS3. The main question that I have is whether the PS3 version will legitimately look better than the 360 version (as the Bethesda devs have implied). Up until now, ports of 360 games to the PS3 have at best looked about the same as the 360 version. They never seem to turn out better. But then again, Oblivion was originally supposed to be a PS3 launch game and it has been delayed for some extra polish, so that might be a good sign.[/quote]

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

Read that hands-on impression by IGN. Basically, the Ps3 does much better in load times and loads far away graphics much better as well.

I am sure this will be a big hit on the PS3. I loved it on the 360 and am curious to see how it looks on the PS3. I am looking forward to the reviews to see what if anything is really changed for this one.

I have been thinking of playing it again with a new character so it would be a nice time to go grab a copy..

I am getting it for the PS3, I am at the point with my 360 that I will only buy a game for it if it is an exclusive. The damn thing is just too unpredictable. it freezes randomly too often for me.

I'll probably get it at Circuit City for $49.99. It's a pretty good price and you get some sort of "mini-guide" with it.

I've been contemplating getting this game... I just hope that its good, because I don't want to buy it and have it just sitting around...

[quote name='Thomas96']I've been contemplating getting this game... I just hope that its good, because I don't want to buy it and have it just sitting around...[/quote]

CheapyD and Wombat love it, and has got nothing but great reviews. If your a fan of RPG's, I can't imagine that you won't like it.

[quote name='Thomas96']I've been contemplating getting this game... I just hope that its good, because I don't want to buy it and have it just sitting around...[/QUOTE]

I initially bought my 360 just to play this game. I'm not even a huge RPG fan, but it is that good. There is so much stuff you can do in it and so much freedom it's really pretty amazing.

This is first online RPG for me... I definitely want to try it out. I think about how you guys describe this game in terms of size, and then I think about dragon warrior (nes), where the whole world was the equivalent of being able to play in the front lawn....

bread's done
Back