Oblivion, how long do you need to play before you know if it's for you or not?

Okay, here's what you do. Get outside of the sewers, WALK your way north around the moat to the Imperial City entrance. Stop and poke around in the ruins along the way, but you don't need to clear them. Just beat down the marauders. Stop at the inns, get the ghost town quest. Do it if you want, or just lol at the poor ghost town as you pass on by. Once you get to the Imperial City, then warp to the merchant district. Sell all your crap, get the Unfriendly Competition quest. Work through it. Beat the boss. Then just find someone alone in their house and murder them. Anyone will do. If you did it unseen, the game will inform you that your murder has been seen by forces unknown. Then just work through the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

If any of this gets boring, you should probably stop playing. Sure, you can quick travel, but if you cannot enjoy a bit of landscape exploration, I don't think Oblivion will work for you.

Then again, I did all that and stopped playing afterward.

[quote name='swetooth9']i'm in the same exact boat as you, OP

when i first got my 360, everyone was telling me to get oblivion, but i'm not that big on RPG's (only some of them i guess) or games this massive...then i read a review that oblivion is fun, even for those who don't play RPG's..

so, i got oblivion in a trade about a week ago, took about 15 mins making a character and about 40 mins playing in the sewer/dungeon area...so far it's been okay...it's pretty cool that you can assign your skills and weapons and such to the dpad

i made my guy the sneaky/stealthy lion/tiger guy...dunno how that would work out, but i hate using the sterotypical big, burly hack-n-slash guy in these types of games, so i chose the sneaky thief tiger guy

i'll be playing a little bit more in the next week and i guess i'll decide then if it's for me[/QUOTE]
theyre great theif/stealth characters.

Well, everyone is saying what I was going to say, but I'll say it anyway.

Get out of the sewer. Really the sewer serves 2 purposes
1) Set up the main story line
2) Give you an idea of what sort of skills you might want to have as major skills.

Really, the game doesn't start until you leave the sewer (you can almost consider it an extended cut scene). After you get out, this is where the game opens up.

If you aren't too interested (early on) in exploring, just follow the main story line. It has you bumping into other stuff along the way. I loved Morrowind, so I was ready to just explore early on.

Honestly, if you just followed the main storyline, you'll get your money's worth out of the game. As interesting as it is, I can't imagine you won't find a few other areas of the game that are interesting.

One thing I would caution is what the other person mentioned about the vampire. I didn't even realize I was a vampire early on, and it took away some of the bonuses of the game (having to feed, losing fast travel during the day). If you do go exploring and finding a vampire, make sure if you get the disease you have it cured quickly.

But, to answer your question, I would say 5 hours outside of the sewer. 5 hours gives you an idea on what any game has to offer. If you hate it at 5 hours, you probably will. It might not catch you right away though.

One thing, if you think there is something there for you, you may need longer. Some of the early missions are rather simple (to get you going in the game). Many later missions are more complex, with interesting twists in there. These are the missions that you'll remember after you finish the game.

thanks guys...being a vampire sounded cool (never heard of that until this thread popped up), but i'll be sure to avoid it

I'd been off Oblivion for a few months and I started again from scratch this weekend, with a Khajit stealth character. I also cranked up the difficulty a bit as my first character didn't level up very quickly and I didn't get any of the decent equipment.

I'd forgotten how great this game really is, first thing out of the sewer I found a cool cave with a hidden lake (Sideways Cave). Sneaking round sniping Imps with a bow was so sweet.

I couldn't reccomend this game highly enough, it's probably the best game I've ever played.

[quote name='swetooth9']thanks guys...being a vampire sounded cool (never heard of that until this thread popped up), but i'll be sure to avoid it[/QUOTE]
Just make sure to have a cure when you do the vampyre slaying quests.

This game was like crack for me for a month or two. Put hundreds of hours in it, finished most of the side quests, was mage and fighter guild master, and a good chunk of the main quest.

But I am SO ocd that I spend hours organizing all of my crap, dedicating separate parts of my house to all my piles of extra armor, weapons, potions, ingredients, etc etc etc

One day next year I'll go back and finish it up, but this year I want to try having a life.

I hated Morrowind (maybe I should go back and give it another try), but the combat system and general clunkiness of the inventory and control system didn't impress me.

But I'm just waiting for a Price Drop (or a combo GOTY-type edition) of Oblivion to give it a try. Can so many people be wrong?

[quote name='swetooth9']well i closed the first oblivion gate...pretty decent so far

where is the thieves guild (or marksman guild if availible)?[/quote]

You need to chat up the beggars about the Grey Fox. Get their disposition high enough and they will tell you have to make contact with the guild.

[quote name='Surferflames']You need to chat up the beggars about the Grey Fox. Get their disposition high enough and they will tell you have to make contact with the guild.[/quote]

Have about 40 gold on hand to bribe the beggars. You need either ninja TalkYourAssOff skill or you'll have to throw bribes on top of the TalkYourAssOff minigame to get them high enough.

[quote name='swetooth9']well i closed the first oblivion gate...pretty decent so far

where is the thieves guild (or marksman guild if availible)?[/QUOTE]
Oblivion is about discovering things. I highly highly recommend you never ask for help on forums, unless you're stuck on the main questline or something and you're getting frusterated.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Oblivion is about discovering things. I highly highly recommend you never ask for help on forums, unless you're stuck on the main questline or something and you're getting frusterated.[/quote]

true, but there's one thing i HATE in Rpg's that makes them not my favorite genre...and that's talking to people, hoping that they'll give me something useful or a quest/mission...and half of them give me useless information that i will never need :(

but yea, i'll try to discover that stuff next time...but i just don't like talking to people that arent clearly marked as merchants, etc. so i guess i would have never found that out about the thieves guild if i hadn't asked

There was this one guy who was trapped in his own dreams and I had to go in with him and help him get out. It was all twisted and dark and had this heartbeat thumping the whole time.

It was pretty badass.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']
There was this one guy who was trapped in his own dreams and I had to go in with him and help him get out. It was all twisted and dark and had this heartbeat thumping the whole time.

It was pretty badass.[/QUOTE]

Last time I played, I unlocked that quest, but I could not enter his dreams for some reason. :(

[quote name='Matt Young']
Last time I played, I unlocked that quest, but I could not enter his dreams for some reason. :(
[/quote]
It was a while ago, so I don't remember much, but I think you had to
put on the amulet of dreams or something like that.
Don't quote me on that though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

[quote name='swetooth9']true, but there's one thing i HATE in Rpg's that makes them not my favorite genre...and that's talking to people, hoping that they'll give me something useful or a quest/mission...and half of them give me useless information that i will never need :(

but yea, i'll try to discover that stuff next time...but i just don't like talking to people that arent clearly marked as merchants, etc. so i guess i would have never found that out about the thieves guild if i hadn't asked[/quote]

One good thing about Oblivion is that things you've already heard are dim and new information is highlighted.

And on a different note, I like how in Oblivion each cave doesn't have some awesome thing to discover. Some caves are just average caves with a little bit of gold in them... but then a few of them have really cool stuff in them (which makes it more fulfilling, I think).

bread's done
Back