NR Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) 98,100
NR Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 74,500
NR Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360) 38,300
Source:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208528

GRAPHS
USConsoles-5.png

WWConsoles-3.png

More
If someone posts a list of notable releases I'll put them in the OP(along with graphs).

Halo 3 sales, while still topping the charts, have dropped off dramatically. No surprise when 1/3 of the entire userbase buys it on launch day.

PS3 version of GHIII is the only one not to make the top 10.

Ratchet sold around 74k according to GAF. Not good for a supposed system seller. PGR4 bombed too with around 34k.. ouch.

Halo 3 did very well for having sold 3.3 million in two weeks last month. I didn't think it'd top the charts two months in a row.

Surprising more so to me, is that while the Wii supposedly has more hardware in the hands of consumers (is that worldwide, not the US?), the 360 version of GH3 has about 100,000 more sales.

Jeez, didn't even realize that GH3 on the PS3 didn't even make it in to the top ten.

[quote name='zewone']Surprising more so to me, is that while the Wii supposedly has more hardware in the hands of consumers (is that worldwide, not the US?), the 360 version of GH3 has about 100,000 more sales.

Jeez, didn't even realize that GH3 on the PS3 didn't even make it in to the top ten.[/quote]
This is only US sales. The 360 version still has a better attach rate, though.

U.S. Marketshare is something like the following:

360 7,092,151
Wii 5,038,685
PS3 1,980,649

Pair it with the GH3 bundles and you get:

360 - 383,200 - 5.40%
Wii - 286,300 - 5.68%
PS3 - 105,800 - 5.34%

Of course that leaves out the 360 standalone sku, which I dont have numbers for.

[quote name='b3b0p']Can someone explain the Nov. 06 PS2 spike? Wtf?! All I can think of is perhaps Final Fantasy XII?[/quote]

Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza

Okay, this thread is going to be filled with tons of Wii60 babies all dancing because they feel the PlayStation brand is dead, when their console combo just got its ass kicked in Japan last week.

I'm not even going to bother reading replies.

nothing too out of the ordinary here. Can't believe I'm getting used to the site of nintendo, as in "lol, they're going 3rd party," selling 1 mil consoles combined.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Okay, this thread is going to be filled with tons of Wii60 babies all dancing because they feel the PlayStation brand is dead, when their console combo just got its ass kicked in Japan last week.

I'm not even going to bother reading replies.[/QUOTE]

joke account

[quote name='zewone']Surprising more so to me, is that while the Wii supposedly has more hardware in the hands of consumers (is that worldwide, not the US?), the 360 version of GH3 has about 100,000 more sales.

Jeez, didn't even realize that GH3 on the PS3 didn't even make it in to the top ten.[/quote]I'm actually surprised how well the Wii version did--far closer to the 360 version than I'd have thought. And pretty surprising that it beat the PS2 version considering the investment in controllers still out there for the PS2 from GH1 & 2.

[quote name='daroga']I'm actually surprised how well the Wii version did--far closer to the 360 version than I'd have thought. And pretty surprising that it beat the PS2 version considering the investment in controllers still out there for the PS2 from GH1 & 2.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about that, the 360 version sold almost 50% more copies (and that's not even counting how many game only versions of the 360 version were sold).

And the PS2 version beat out the Wii:

Bundled PS2: 271,100

Game only PS2: 231,700

Mana denial arrives right on time!

Wii60 babies.. lol. Only real, manly men get personally involved with gaming consoles and offended by their poor performance.

This year's PS3 sales are absolutely going to affect PS3 development both exclusive and multiplatform. Say hello to the real gamecube successor, folks.

year to date

Mana, too bad japan doesn't carry nearly as much weight as NA, just look at the raw number data, and Wii/DS are still by far the champions there. PS3's really only last hope for avoiding worldwide 3rd place is europe, where they're a bit more loyal to that brand, even moreso than in Japan.

[quote name='jer7583']Ratchet sold around 74k according to GAF. Not good for a supposed system seller. [/quote]

Considering Ratchet and Clank came out on October 23rd, and these numbers are for the month of October, I don't consider 74k units in 7-8 days a poor showing.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Considering Ratchet and Clank came out on October 23rd, and these numbers are for the month of October, I don't consider 74k units in 7-8 days a poor showing.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of games have shown up with only a week or half week and done 200k months. Metroid Prime 3 is one example. Guitar Hero 3 only had a few days on the chart. Most of a game's sales come from the first few days in almost every case anyway.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Considering Ratchet and Clank came out on October 23rd, and these numbers are for the month of October, I don't consider 74k units in 7-8 days a poor showing.[/quote]

This month's numbers go through November 3rd, so it's really on the chart for 11 days. That doesn't exactly contradict your point, but it's worth noting for the sake of accuracy.

[quote name='evilmax17']
PS3 version of GHIII is the only one not to make the top 10.[/QUOTE]

Because it is sold out. There is a limited supply for them. I can't seem to find one around here in socal.

[quote name='postaboy']Because it is sold out. There is a limited supply for them. I can't seem to find one around here in socal.[/QUOTE]
Ahahahaha.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its a shame R&C isn't selling more. Its the best game I've played in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Because Sony does not hype their games.

[quote name='postaboy']Because it is sold out. There is a limited supply for them. I can't seem to find one around here in socal.[/QUOTE]
Gamestop.com is backordered, but around 200 miles of me most stores do have 4+ in stock and about half are listed as getting more.

[quote name='postaboy']Because Sony does not hype their games.[/quote]

Ratchet hasn't even been out that long, and it's not going to sell Halo/Mario/GH numbers in the first 2 weeks, but I agree. This game needs commericals and every other form of marketing they could use. I haven't even seen one commerical for it on t.v., but maybe that's just me. I've seen a lot of the new commericals promoting the actual system though.

[quote name='zewone']I see commercials for R&C all the time with that "So Happy Together" song playing.[/quote]

Yeah I haven't watched t.v. as much as I used too, but I haven't seen one for it yet. I still see a lot of Heavenly Sword commericals, but I dunno. Well it's good to know they are there. The Ratchet commericals were usually really cool.

[quote name='zewone']I don't know about that, the 360 version sold almost 50% more copies (and that's not even counting how many game only versions of the 360 version were sold).

Game only PS2: 231,700[/quote]Good catch. I missed that.

It still stands that I'm surprised how well the Wii version did. I figured in this time table it'd be sub-100k.

Here's a stupid thought, I started wondering the other day if Sony had released the 40 gig PS3 sans BC because they want to start winding down PS2 support.

I wondered if maybe the PS2 sales are starting to hurt the PS3, obviously Sony makes money of PS2 sales but maybe they think that people aren't switching to the PS3 as quickly as they hoped and thats hurting them PS3 third party support wise.

Looking at those numbers it would seem to help Sony more if it was 300'000 PS3's sold and no PS2's.

[quote name='Blackout542']Yeah I haven't watched t.v. as much as I used too, but I haven't seen one for it yet. I still see a lot of Heavenly Sword commericals, but I dunno. Well it's good to know they are there. The Ratchet commericals were usually really cool.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the old ones were much cooler.

I think they should have stuck with the "weapons not fit for reality" commercials.

[quote name='benjamouth']Here's a stupid thought, I started wondering the other day if Sony had released the 40 gig PS3 sans BC because they want to start winding down PS2 support.

I wondered if maybe the PS2 sales are starting to hurt the PS3, obviously Sony makes money of PS2 sales but maybe they think that people aren't switching to the PS3 as quickly as they hoped and thats hurting them PS3 third party support wise.

Looking at those numbers it would seem to help Sony more if it was 300'000 PS3's sold and no PS2's.[/quote]But then, the best thing to do would be to stop making the PS2 and make the PS3 PS2 backwards support perfect. They're just encouraging MORE PS2 sales be removing the BC from the PS3.

[quote name='daroga']But then, the best thing to do would be to stop making the PS2 and make the PS3 PS2 backwards support perfect. They're just encouraging MORE PS2 sales be removing the BC from the PS3.[/quote]

Aye true enough, plus they've just released that PS2 hardware revision, as I said, stupid thought.

[quote name='zewone']I don't know about that, the 360 version sold almost 50% more copies (and that's not even counting how many game only versions of the 360 version were sold).

Game only PS2: 231,700[/quote]
That's not a surprise, especially since Guitar Hero is such an established franchise on the PS2 and Sony has sold something like 40 million PS2s in the US.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']U.S. Marketshare is something like the following:

360 7,092,151
Wii 5,038,685
PS3 1,980,649

Pair it with the GH3 bundles and you get:

360 - 383,200 - 5.40%
Wii - 286,300 - 5.68%
PS3 - 105,800 - 5.34%

Of course that leaves out the 360 standalone sku, which I dont have numbers for.[/QUOTE]

DMK with the penetration FTW.

Additionally, those people decrying the early demise of the PS3 seem to be neglecting that the second chart shows that the sales of the PS3 are accruing at approximately the same slope as the 360, November/December 06 sales spike notwithstanding. In reality, the 360 and PS3 appear to be selling at the same rate, if only staggered by 12 months (a critical point to be sure). It's the Wii that's the standout in terms of sales.

I wonder what the aggregate sales for this time period look like worldwide.

EDIT: Where's the software-only sales for 360 GHIII? That might tip the penetration scales in favor of the 360 to a statistically meaningful level.

The question I have thats painfully obvious is this. The remarks a few months ago was Nintendo Could produce around 1,000,000 Wii's a month and they were increasing that production... They are sold out all over, yet it only shows ~500k for October...

I assume come this Christmas Nintendo is going to dump a few million systems.... and that same feeling is they are all going to be sold. This Christmas is going to break records (for all consoles).

I would venture to say publishers care less about the attach rates for software and the actual software numbers sold per system.

Even so, with the numbers added from the game-only copies of GH3 sold, the 360 would have the highest percentage of attach rate and software sales of the current gen systems.

I'm too lazy to dig up the numbers, but the 360 standalone sold something like 110k, bringing the total up to 490k. For attachment rates, the 360 is around 6.5%, compared to around 5.5% or so for Wii and PS3. All good numbers when looking at attach rates.

And yeah, I'm sure publishers care more about raw numbers, but as far as their expectations go when developing and releasing the games, I would imagine the hardware numbers (and thereby the attach rate) come into play.

The problem for the PS3 is that it's doing poorly in the face of improving competition. The 360 was doing pretty poorly its first year, but it had the benefit of no new competition. So whether it had a 4 million unit headstart or a 6 million unit headstart, it was ahead. And now it's only extending the lead over PS3 every month. If that's how things continue, then the PS3 is set solidly in #3.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, I've never really gotten the "PS3 is doing poorly" argument. It's got approximately half the sales of the 360 and has been out approximately half as long, as I recall. It's only relative to the Wii that you could call it bad, but pretty much anything would be bad compared to that thing.[/quote]I think the main issue is that Sony has neither the liimitless money Microsoft had with the Xbox nor the profit-per-console that Nintendo had with the Gamecube. They need the PS3 to be HUGE not just pretty healthy, ala the PSP, to sell the software needed to make up that subsidized hardware.

Do we know what Sony's losing per console with all the part cost decreases & price cuts on the system?

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, I've never really gotten the "PS3 is doing poorly" argument. It's got approximately half the sales of the 360 and has been out approximately half as long, as I recall. It's only relative to the Wii that you could call it bad, but pretty much anything would be bad compared to that thing.[/QUOTE]
Probably because it continues to sell half as many consoles as 360 per month.

It seems with the 360s head start and selling twice as fast, it seems as though the PS3 will never catch up.

The Wii is just on another level, and is still baffling to me as to how it sells so much.

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, I've never really gotten the "PS3 is doing poorly" argument. It's got approximately half the sales of the 360 and has been out approximately half as long, as I recall. It's only relative to the Wii that you could call it bad, but pretty much anything would be bad compared to that thing.[/QUOTE]

Indeed; likewise with the PSP. The DS is a fucking amazing phenomenon in handhelds. However, the PSP's marketshare is just under 33% in a market where the Nintendo handheld has been 90%+ since the early 1990's.

Of course, that's contrary to the console marketshare, where the Playstation brand has a legacy...but there's still something to that.

[quote name='botticus']The problem for the PS3 is that it's doing poorly in the face of improving competition. The 360 was doing pretty poorly its first year, but it had the benefit of no new competition. So whether it had a 4 million unit headstart or a 6 million unit headstart, it was ahead. And now it's only extending the lead over PS3 every month. If that's how things continue, then the PS3 is set solidly in #3.[/QUOTE]

The YTD shows the PS3 only lagging behind by 400K, which, I believe, is what most people were talking about. The year headstart with the 360 should not be discounted, but, with all the things 360 had going for it this year when compared to the PS3 (cheaper price, larger game selection, superior versions of multiplatform games with earlier releases, Halo 3, etc), it's surprising to see it only doing marginally better.

[quote name='dpatel']The YTD shows the PS3 only lagging behind by 400K, which, I believe, is what most people were talking about. The year headstart with the 360 should not be discounted, but, with all the things 360 had going for it this year when compared to the PS3 (cheaper price, larger game selection, superior versions of multiplatform games with earlier releases, Halo 3, etc), it's surprising to see it only doing marginally better.[/QUOTE]

To be fair (even though I was referencing the nearly identical sales slopes from the same slide), that is worldwide - while the NPD sales show the 360 selling over the PS3 2:1 in the US.

[quote name='mykevermin']To be fair (even though I was referencing the nearly identical sales slopes from the same slide), that is worldwide - while the NPD sales show the 360 selling over the PS3 2:1 in the US.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I figured. Wonder how accurate that is. Not all countries have NPDs or Media Creates to track these things.

[quote name='elmyra']This month's numbers go through November 3rd, so it's really on the chart for 11 days. That doesn't exactly contradict your point, but it's worth noting for the sake of accuracy.[/quote]
And Ratchet & Clank were officially released on the 30, as it was only available the week before from retailers that wanted to put it out early.
[quote name='zewone']I see commercials for R&C all the time with that "So Happy Together" song playing.[/quote]
It's "What a Wonderful World."

[quote name='jer7583']Ratchet sold around 74k according to GAF. Not good for a supposed system seller. PGR4 bombed too with around 34k.. ouch.

Halo 3 did very well for having sold 3.3 million in two weeks last month. I didn't think it'd top the charts two months in a row.[/quote]
R & C a system seller ? Thats a big matter of opinon.I own ps3 and wouldn't be caught dead buying that.

Now if it was MG4 or FF 13 (which only God knows when we'll see either ) is released and has those same kind of numbers you'd have a valid point,but calling a platformer a "system seller" just because its 1st party doesn't make sense imo.

In the end its all a matter of opinion/speculation as to what games are system seller until the games are released and we see the numbers but I personally never considered R & C to be one so those numbers dont surprise me.

bread's done
Back