Offical Gundam Model / Gunpla Thread

[quote name='Hell Monkey']

I really want to get the suits from 0083, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack stuff. Unfortunatly ebay charges arm and a leg and I'm not sure where else to get stuff.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried looking at Hobby Link Japan? It's where I usually obtain my collection.

(Liking the avatar, by the way)

HLJ is great and everything... but it doesn't do the 20% MSRP that other japanese shops do.

shops like
hobby search (1999.co.jp)
amiami.com

do, although the bad thing about them is that their stock is very limited and back orders come alot slower than HLJ. Also, look out for shipping discounts... they like to compete with each other every now and then. HLJ is having a 50% off EMS shipping till the 24 of November. Also, be aware that the Yen is at a 15 year high against the dollar.... in 2007 it used to be 120 yen to a dollar now its... 85 yen to the dollar.

So anyone still doing gunpla here? I recently bought my 1st model kit RG rx78-2 and i instantly fell in love with it. Need more current info or any good source of news or a link to a good active forum

RG is what I do most of the time now since I do not have time to properly paint etc so I just use gundam marker and then top coat it.

http://en.gundam.info/index/white
http://gundam-eclipse.net/index/
http://www.hobbylink.tv/category/gunplatv
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/

Cool! Thanks for the links. Since im new at the hobby, i also started buying sd/bb gundams of the once i want ti build For practice. I enjoyed building my 1st RG but having small parts was a pain which led me to decide to just MGs.

I usually do HG or RG models. MG and PG are just too expensive.

Have about 60 models or so, some even as far back as the pre-HG Gundam Wing kits. I only have 2 MG kits (Altron and GP-01a) and 1 PG kit (RX-78-2, who can't hold its shield or beam saber).

Bought Harute, Master + Fuunsaiki, AGE-1 Full Ganza, AGE-3 Normal, and AGE-2 Dark Hound in HG size and Destiny, GP-02b, and Aile Strike in RG at Otakon.

Wanted Sianju and Delta Plus, but they are just too expensive! The Unicorn w/MS Cage was tempting too. As was Unicorn in Full Armor, but I will wait until Episode 7 is released and get the battle mode version.

I should probably get a MG RX-78-2. I already have it in HG, PG, RG, SD (electronic too!), and MSiA sizes.

Anybody have any grunt units? Got a Zaku (HG and SD), CGUE, BuQUE, GINN, Serpent, Flag, and Tiernan.

Wow! Thats a lot of kits.

I remember watching the shows when i was a kid but since i didnt have the money they buy these stuff before i never bothered. Now that i have a job and all i run across the model units browsing youtube channels and got fascinated really quiickly again.

Any quick question, are gundam fine markers essential? Or can i use sharpies ultra fine tips for panel lining as an alternative? The gundam brand seems like its too expensive and is not readily available. Still debating if i should get the actually color packs to mark the Gundam SDs i bought so far.

I did a wash for the RG just to try it out. Took longer than what i was expecting and seems like it wasnt as clean as i hoped. So this time i wanted to try markers.

Fyi my units so far are the RG rx78-2 and SD gundams... Wing gundam #366 destiny gundam #290, strike freedom#288. Im still trying to locate a cheap god gundam #242. These so far are also the gundams im planning on getting the MG versions in the future.

Oh and after building RG rx78-2... Got me thinking if i should also get the MG ver3.0 that was released recently!! Ahhh, just thinking about how much money ill be outting on for this new hobby is already starting to overwhelm me. Lol!

Wow! Thats a lot of kits.

I remember watching the shows when i was a kid but since i didnt have the money they buy these stuff before i never bothered. Now that i have a job and all i run across the model units browsing youtube channels and got fascinated really quiickly again.

Any quick question, are gundam fine markers essential? Or can i use sharpies ultra fine tips for panel lining as an alternative? The gundam brand seems like its too expensive and is not readily available. Still debating if i should get the actually color packs to mark the Gundam SDs i bought so far.

I did a wash for the RG just to try it out. Took longer than what i was expecting and seems like it wasnt as clean as i hoped. So this time i wanted to try markers.
You can go to an art supply store to buy paint markers and fine point pens. I've been using Sakura Pigma Micron pens, but panel lines usually need touching up. This can probably be mitigated by washing the sprues and primer, but I'm lazy and find it easier to go over the lines again. :D

I managed to get a PG RX-78-2 on craigslist for $60 a few years ago and boy, did it feel like an accomplishment to complete it. It took me about a week of evenings to assemble, panel line, and sand off the nubs. 6 years later and it still hasn't yellowed.

Right now, I have a PG GP-01Fb from the second release semi-completed. 1 leg and 1 foot. I wanted to finish it last summer while I was on vacation, but realized I was missing a bag of screws! I ended up building an Armored VF-25F from Macross Frontier instead. Found the screws a few months later. LOLZ :rofl:

Oh and after building RG rx78-2... Got me thinking if i should also get the MG ver3.0 that was released recently!! Ahhh, just thinking about how much money ill be outting on for this new hobby is already starting to overwhelm me. Lol!
That's a pretty bad-ass kit. RX-78-2 NEVER gets old!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, the GP-01b RG kit is a pain in the ass. Not to build, as it's pretty standard fare in that regard, but putting all 3 parts together and getting them to stay together for more than 15 seconds is annoying.

Damn, the GP-01b RG kit is a pain in the ass. Not to build, as it's pretty standard fare in that regard, but putting all 3 parts together and getting them to stay together for more than 15 seconds is annoying.

Man i was debating if i should get that RG. The rx78-2 also had problems with parts staying together like the shoulder pad, side skirts and even the feet. I probably will super glue those parts in the future.

Hey have you tried ordering from Hobby Link Japan coz they have some of the older models i like to get. Im contemplating buying stuff from them but i have no experience with overseas purchases, wait times and customs.

I used to years ago. Now I get most of my models at Otakon.

Hows your experience? Do you pick fedex or ems? M tryin to look for reviews through google but most reviews dates back to 2011. No really current ones so im not sure what to expect.

Anybody else got experience ordering from HLJ? Whats rhe difference between EMS and Fedex? Do you have to pay customs on top of the price HLJ bills you? Sorry this ia my 1st time ordering overseas so im not sure what to expect.

I have not had to pay custom in any of my package from JP.

I would base ems/fedex purely on $.   From experience tho, Fedex really do rush the package through custom but with EMS and I think I've had EMS held a day or 2 longer.

If you are ordering stuff with litium battery, it is best to go with Fedex.  with Gunpla/figure/non electronics, I really don't feel it matter much and would chose base on quoted price. 

for fun, some random tracking info from my previous orders.   fedex tracking vs ems.  (do note that they ship from different location in JP and not from HLJ tho I ordered a few time from them ) 

edit: blah formatting is all mess up, too lazy to use screenshot.   first part is fedex, 2nd is ems

- 

01/07/2013  -  Monday
09:59

Delivered
LOS ANGELES, CA
07:09

On FedEx vehicle for delivery
LOS ANGELES, CA
07:05

At local FedEx facility
LOS ANGELES, CA
04:40

In transit
LOS ANGELES, CA
 - 

30/06/2013  -  Sunday
14:51

Departed FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
10:34

International shipment release - Import
MEMPHIS, TN
03:15

Arrived at FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
05:01

In transit
SENNAN-SHI JP
00:28

In transit
SENNAN-SHI JP
 - 

29/06/2013  -  Saturday
14:48

Left FedEx origin facility
KADOMA-SHI JP
09:51

Picked up
KADOMA-SHI JP
 - 

28/06/2013  -  Friday
03:58

Shipment information sent to FedEx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMS

Delivered
April 4, 2013, 10:45 am

Out for Delivery
April 4, 2013, 8:37 am
LOS ANGELES, CA 90027 

Sorting Complete
April 4, 2013, 8:27 am
LOS ANGELES, CA 90027 

Arrival at Post Office
April 4, 2013, 8:13 am
LOS ANGELES, CA 90027 

Inbound Out of Customs
April 4, 2013, 3:24 am

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
April 4, 2013, 2:29 am
LOS ANGELES, CA 90009 

Inbound Into Customs

Processed Through Sort Facility
April 2, 2013, 6:49 pm
ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) 

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

April 2, 2013, 11:40 am
TOKYO INT CONTAINER 1, JAPAN

April 1, 2013, 11:04 pm
TOKYO INT CONTAINER 1, JAPAN

Acceptance
April 1, 2013, 6:45 pm
JAPAN

An early and unexpected Christmas present:

VeCcC8u.jpg

Barnes & Noble announced that starting next month they're going to start selling model kits in over 400 of their stores.

Barnes & Noble announced that starting next month they're going to start selling model kits in over 400 of their stores.
If only their prices are competative enough. But ill bet you, theyll be selling them over priced. Might aswell buy them over at online hobby stores that really cater to gundam modelers

If only their prices are competative enough. But ill bet you, theyll be selling them over priced. Might aswell buy them over at online hobby stores that really cater to gundam modelers
I thought they sold their stuff at MSRP?
Since I was curious about this myself, I decided to do a little digging.

So far, B&N has 8 different kits on their website.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/bandai-hobby/50298023

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?publisher_id=1001609369

Six of them are Gundam Wing Endless Waltz kits (4 MGs and 2 HGs) and the other two are from Gundam Unicorn and both HGs.

Now I didn't get crazy about comparing prices, I just checked them against Amazon, but most, if not all, of the MG kits are overpriced. Anywhere from about $5 to $20.

The HG kits on the other hand are much more competitively priced and are about the same (in some cases a little cheaper) than Amazon.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that's what they're going to be priced at. I guess the real test is when they're available in stores. I'm pretty hopeful that since they're going to be making kits available in almost 2/3 of their stores that they can keep prices low and competitive.

Oh and I hope they're not all just Wing/Endless Waltz kits :pray:

The Wing Zero Custom, Deathscythe Hell Custom, and Sianju kits are pretty much the same price Bluefin has them for during Otakon.

Never used a marker pen to fill in lines on a Gundam model before. Decided to test it out using an ultra fine Sharpie on Winning Gundam. Turned out OK for my first time.

Never used a marker pen to fill in lines on a Gundam model before. Decided to test it out using an ultra fine Sharpie on Winning Gundam. Turned out OK for my first time.

If you go to a pen shop, they'll have markers with even finer points. I have one that's .001 that goes into the grooves which you'd think would be awesome, but you end up needing to go over them more than once and that SUCKS.

I think you did pretty good though! It's a lot tougher to do when it's completed. I learned that lesson after my first try.

If you go to a pen shop, they'll have markers with even finer points. I have one that's .001 that goes into the grooves which you'd think would be awesome, but you end up needing to go over them more than once and that SUCKS.

I think you did pretty good though! It's a lot tougher to do when it's completed. I learned that lesson after my first try.
Well, I picked the pen up at Walmart on a whim anyway. :p Went into the aisle to pick up a silver Sharpie to fill in my Dino Charge Megazord toy and figured "Why not?"

And it took more time than I figured. Had to dismantle each limb and going around corners and around stress marks was difficult, especially since I have slightly shaky hands.

So, I am building a Turn A model, and the right elbow joint accidentally snaps out of my hand and landed who knows where.

Anybody know where I can get a replacement?

Completed a 1/144 scale RX-121-1 Gundam TR-1 [Hazel Custom] yesterday. Need to work on my panel lining and clean up on it and also please forgive a decal that was not properly put on the left collar.

IMG_0658_zpshsxzbkdl.jpg

IMG_0659_zpsou7xeb8o.jpg

IMG_0661_zpskip6mpfl.jpg

IMG_0662_zps8bsbiwzz.jpg

IMG_0663_zpshxashfa5.jpg

That looks really cool. And the paneling looks better than mine.

BTW, anybody gotten any decent models from Barnes and Noble? Only one near me that has any only had 4 models in: 1/100 Deathscythe Hell, 1/144 Bearguy F, Wing Gundam Fenice, and Build Burning.

Some pics of the Gunpla Model Contest winners from the Bluefin booth at Otakon:

https://twitter.com/MACDuke170/status/625005146003648512

https://twitter.com/MACDuke170/status/625004995902111745?s=09

https://twitter.com/MACDuke170/status/625005146003648512?s=09

I don't really understand why Gundam models cost so cheap if they're coming from Japan. What is up with the shipping terms there? They've got to be losing money.

bread's done
Back