OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='allyourblood']i figure that guy says to paypal and he'll drop it off or some BS... gotta be illegal, regardless of what he's trying to do. when you find out where he lives, be sure to take a dump on the hood of his car, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking....kinda tempted to report it to craigslist and let them look into it but /shrug gots no evidence.

Craigslist deal, just picked up today

for $25 I got

-Original GBA
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
-Metroid Fusion
-Boktai
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-Spyro Season of Ice
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
-Fire Emblem

:nice:

Just picked up the goods I posted about yesterday. I got to the ladies house and immediately noticed the SNES box sitting on the porch with some bags of games and systems. I exchanged pleasentries opened the SNES box and its complete (minus paperwork) and looking like new :bouncy: The lady informs me she found some more games and threw them in :bouncy: I lay down the skinnys, thank her and depart. This is my first SNES mini so I was kinda thrilled :bouncy: Here's the breakdown. All games were cart only, The majority were in good shape with good labels. 72 pin on the NES is pretty tight and fired up clean games that I had but 3 of the 4 games I tested from this lot had issues. I'm sure once I clean up the 72 pin and games it will all work fine.

SNES mini CIB + extra 3rd party controller
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Mario Kart
Super pinball
Scooby Doo Mystery

NES - all hookups and 2 controller
Mike Tyson's punchout
SMB/duck hunt
SMB 2
SMB 3
Friday the 13th
Double Dragon
wizards and warriors
Super off road
bases loaded 3
Double Dribble
legacy of the wizard
major league baseball
bartman meets radioactive man

genesis 2 - all hookups - 3 button + 6 button controllers
batman forever
toy story
ecco
alladin
lion king
nba jam
monopoly
sonic 2
vectorman 2
dynamite heddy

**** MSI - I tried to feel like a sleezy lawyer - I really did :D

[quote name='TanOOkiSeong']Craigslist deal, just picked up today

[/QUOTE]

I'm currently addicted to this game. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I just got my first SNES mini two days ago, $10 (no hook ups). I'm trying to get a Genesis 3 that I've been eyeing but it might be more than I'm willing to pay.

[quote name='snotknocker']

Just picked up the goods I posted about yesterday. I got to the ladies house and immediately noticed the SNES box sitting on the porch with some bags of games and systems. I exchanged pleasentries opened the SNES box and its complete (minus paperwork) and looking like new :bouncy: The lady informs me she found some more games and threw them in :bouncy: I lay down the skinnys, thank her and depart. This is my first SNES mini so I was kinda thrilled :bouncy: Here's the breakdown. All games were cart only, The majority were in good shape with good labels. 72 pin on the NES is pretty tight and fired up clean games that I had but 3 of the 4 games I tested from this lot had issues. I'm sure once I clean up the 72 pin and games it will all work fine.

Super Return of the Jedi
Super Mario Kart
Super pinball
Scooby Doo Mystery

Mike Tyson's punchout
SMB/duck hunt
SMB 2
SMB 3
Friday the 13th
Double Dragon
wizards and warriors
Super off road
bases loaded 3
Double Dribble
legacy of the wizard
major league baseball

batman forever
toy story
ecco
alladin
lion king
nba jam
monopoly
sonic 2
vectorman 2
dynamite heddy

**** MSI - I tried to feel like a sleezy lawyer - I really did :D[/QUOTE]

to all those picking up SNES consoles, don't forget that your good ol' N64/GC S-video cables work a treat.

hrm... or was it the SNES2 that got dicked around with, to where S-video doesn't work? i know they axed the RGB option, but i'm not sure about the SV. i'll plug mine in later and try unless someone else does.

[quote name='TanOOkiSeong']Craigslist deal, just picked up today

for $25 I got

-Original GBA
-Metroid Fusion
-Boktai
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-Spyro Season of Ice
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
-Fire Emblem

:nice:[/quote]
1000th post!

Just to compare, last year we didn't hit 1000 posts until 11/12/2005.

We've come a long way, baby.

[quote name='snotknocker']

Super Return of the Jedi
Super Mario Kart
Super pinball
Scooby Doo Mystery

Mike Tyson's punchout
SMB/duck hunt
SMB 2
SMB 3
Friday the 13th
Double Dragon
wizards and warriors
Super off road
bases loaded 3
Double Dribble
legacy of the wizard
major league baseball

batman forever
toy story
ecco
alladin
lion king
nba jam
monopoly
sonic 2
vectorman 2
dynamite heddy

**** MSI - I tried to feel like a sleezy lawyer - I really did :D[/QUOTE]

Grats you sleezy lawyer bastard!
*starts scribbling his name and number on dozens of peices of paper to hand out tommorow when yard sailing*

Had another great at the pawn shops. I made a drive through Southern Illinois and ended up hitting around a dozen pawn shops. I found:
Super Mario Advance (GBA) $10
Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA) $7
Super Mario Advance 3 (GBA) $10
Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA) $10
Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA) $7
Breath of Fire (GBA) $10
Shining Force (GBA) $7
Final Fantasy Legends III (GB) $7
Firefighter FD 18 (PS2) $10
Geist (GC ) $12
World of Outlaws: Sprintcars 2002 (PS2) $12
Clock Tower 2 (PS1) $3
Final Fantasy VII Non-GH (PS1) $5
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) $4
Super Mario All Stars (SNES) $4
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) $4
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Collector's Ed. (XBOX) $20
I also scored several great DVD deals including:
GitS: SAC v. 7 (DVD) $3
Mr. Show Season 3 (DVD) $4
Stephen King's The Stand (DVD) $4
The Sopranos Season 3 (DVD) $15
Sex & the City Season 6 (DVD) $5
Futurama Volume 4 (DVD) $6
Doogie Howser Season 1 (DVD) $6
Kingpin Complete Series (DVD) $6
Dune: Collector's Ed. 3 Disc (DVD) $6
Home Improvement Season 1 (DVD) $8
Home Improvement Season 2 (DVD) $8
The Shield Season 1 (DVD) $8
The Shield Season 2 (DVD) $8
Firefly Complete Series (DVD) $10

The SNES2 blew ass. It looked stupid as hell, and the video was downgraded. This is a case where the original is better.

[quote name='Xizer']The SNES2 blew ass. It looked stupid as hell, and the video was downgraded. This is a case where the original is better.[/quote]

well, as mentioned previously, the downgraded RGB sucks, but i think the design beats the old one by a country mile. the eject button on the oldy slays me.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Watch local papers and craigslists for sales with words like kids stuff, toys, electronics and ofcourse Video/Computer games. Craigslist is just great period, seems everyone here has gotten atleast one good deal from it.[/quote]

I just checked craigslist, they dont have my city :( , but tomorrow there are 5 garage sells and Im going to all of them, wish me luck!

We wish you luck Riyonuk.

And Snot, you humble us all (except for Max and Moiety) once again. I hope that now that I am handing out my number to people, I can get the good deals that you are getting.

Today I went to 13 sales, and I handed out my number at most of them. But I only made two purchases.

One was for A Purple Rain LP for .25.
The other was a complete copy of Star Wars: Jedi Star Fighter for XBox for $1.50.

I sure hope to find a lot more tomorrow. I may visit about 25 sales.

I didn't get too much today. The first few sales were a bust. I hit a church sale and picked up:

Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) $.50
Gauntlet (NES) $0.50 Tengen version
Dlink Air Plus wireless card for notebooks $1

I didn't have too much more luck. I did get a few items at Target on clearance for 75% off the clearance price since it is closing down to move to a new store.

I hit up one addition sale today. I got the Criterion Collection version of Armageddon for $3. I found one good sale with a dreamcast system and a ton of games. The only game I picked up was Evolution: the world of the sacred device for $3. I would have gotten some other ones, but the lady wouldn't budge on the price and some of the games weren't in the greatest condition. Some had those metal strips they put accross the disc at rental places.

weird. you can't get jack-squat in San Diego on a Friday. nothing starts (including yard sales) until Saturday. now i'm home early from work with nothing to do. oh yeah, except play games!

Ya, I have went on two full Saturday yard sales this summer so far. The first run, everytime I ran into a video game system, it was overpriced and people wouldn't budge. The other day, I didn't even find anything video game related. I am going to hit some up tomorrow if I see any street signs. People have to rember that garage sales are not ebay!

I went to about 15 garage sales this morning.

I didn't find anything except overpriced junk.

Someone wanted $20 for a beat up Sega Genesis. When I asked if they had any hookups, they said to look in the magical box full of tangled up cables.

I saw an original Game Boy Advance without a battery cover and a scratched up screen for $10. I also saw a Sega Dreamcast with hookups but a busted controller for $25.

I passed on all as I am more interested in games than systems.

Then I went to a pawn shop to see if there were any new arrivals.
I picked up:

FFVII for the PC with everything for $10

River City Ransom NES - $2
Castlevania NES - $2
Castlevania 2 NES - $2

Now that some of you are going to take my advice and start handing out your numbers. PLEASE DO NOT feel obligated to sell me your extra copy of Secret of Mana on the cheap when you make your first big score. ;)

Well got a great Craigslist deal today but sales were pretty shitty. We onyl found like a dozen sales and most sucked. I think rain over the past few days scared alot of people off, and there seemed to be alot of sales scheduled for Saturday which really blows since I cant go.

My fiancee found 2 Stephen King books she didnt have for $1.50 total and we got a booster box for Cranium + Taboo for our expanding board game Collection. And finally I got a Human WoWC figure as well as a really cool Spawn both still in box for around $3. The only video game find was a Gameboy Pocket for $2 and an Education CD Rom called Sonic School House. We also bought a rare Stephen King book and bio or something like that while downtown Ann Arbor as well as a like 11 Dr Seus books for a buck a peice.

HOOOOOOWEVER! I went to pick up my Craigslist find and it turned out to be a decent score. I was going for a Super Nintendo and like 5 or 6 games. When I got there I found that the Super Nintendo was complete in box as were the games including a copy of the hard to find Contra 3. Price was just $10 ;)

Finaly, I treated myself to a Copy of Guitar Hero. We stopped by Best Buy and they had for the usual $70 but the box didnt have stickers or anything so i grabbed it.

[quote name='snotknocker']A nice little Stephen King diddy I acquired a while back

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/stephen-king/nightmares-in-sky.htm

if you find it on the cheap it's well worth. It's more of a coffee table picture book then anything else, but a quick enthralling read with awesome photographs.[/QUOTE]

Brought it up in a new tab to show her, sure she will like it. The stuff she found today apparently she had never seen before. Well the stuff in the book store which we payed like $12 for atleast, the yardsale stuff was typical finds.

I have a first edition signed Carrie stored away. I'm hoping it will help pay for one of my daughters weddings when the time comes. I actually picked this up at a YS like 7 or 8 years ago for $5 because of the signature and did'nt realize what I had until like 3 years ago. There are a few king books that are worth a pretty penny. My Pretty Pony is another very rare King book. If you guys ever see this one do'nt hesitate to scoff it up

[quote name='snotknocker']I have a first edition signed Carrie stored away. I'm hoping it will help pay for one of my daughters weddings when the time comes. I actually picked this up at a YS like 7 or 8 years ago for $5 because of the signature and did'nt realize what I had until like 3 years ago. There are a few king books that are worth a pretty penny. My Pretty Pony is another very rare King book. If you guys ever see this one do'nt hesitate to scoff it up[/QUOTE]

Ah well she got a reprint of the Running Man under his other pen name Richard Bachman and another book called the Bachman books which was a compilation of his books under that pen name. Finaly she got a Stephen King "Companion". Nothing rare or valuable, its just she had never seen any of them before so collection peices was happy to put out like $12 for the 3.

Went out for 2 hours today and it is hot as balls here in the toxic waste state.
It tends to slow up a little during these dog days, at least around here. Anyway all from one sale

All cart only

Spiderman - game gear
Qbert - gameboy
Mortal combat - gameboy
Pokemon Crystal - GBC
Pokemon Fire Red - GBA
Pokemon Leaf Green -GBA
TMNT - NES
Super Dodgeball - NES
Total - $6

The NES, GB and GG games were sitting on the table, a kid of about 15 or 16 was watching the sale. These were the only games and I asked how much and he came back with a dollar each. So I reply with a CIF offer of $3 which is a little high for my liking but I did'nt have spiderman for the GG and a backup copy of Super Dodgeball in the mix made it worth it for me. So he takes it then I ask if he has any more games and He says let me go ask my little brother if he wants to sell any of his GB games. 2 minutes later he comes out with the pokemons and says he wants $2 each. So I CIF him again with $3 and he took it. I gave him my number and he told me his older brother has like 200 ps2 and xbox games but he was not home and that he was sure that he would want to sell some. So maybe something will pan out with that.

passed on a odyssey 2 with like 10 complete games and the voice thingy. It all had original packaging and stuff but the system itself was cosmetically shitty. Guy wanted $35. I'm not really up to speed with odyssey values, so I walked

I hit a few more sales today. I picked up:

$3 Intellivision 2 with a bunch of games
$3 10 GBA games in a girl style GBA case
$0.50 Killer Cuts nintendo cd

The intellivision is pretty dirty. The lady said it was in her father's barn. I picked up the GBA games and the cd in the same addition with the dreamcast games from yesterday. I noticed the GBA case and asked if she had the system, but it was only the games. Half of them are okay and the other half are crappy kids games. I'm not going to keep the case. One of the sales I got a lead on a possible boxed NES. I hope they find it since my NES doesn't work.

I went out for about 2 hours today and was so disappointed in the people having the garage sales. People need to realize that a garage sale is mainly to get rid of stuff you don't want, not make a profit. Case in point, the only video game stuff I saw was a guy selling a boxed Dreamcast for $40, boxed N64 for $40, each Dreamcast game for $15, and each N64 game for $10. I'm gonna hit the pawn shops up in a little bit and hope I find something. Hope everyone had better luck today than me.

Today would have been the day to go out Garage Sailing but my fiancee had to work at 4 and was feeling really really sick so we just hit one block sale and went home. There was few sales yesterday but today there was a Church sale, 3 block sales and a huge grad student sale listed so kinda sucked missing them but o well.

Block sale was decent for getting there at 11. I found a copy of Castlevania DoS for $10. I could have talked it down some more probally and scored more DS games but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. See the person having the sale was a little kid who couldnt have been older then 6 and was having the sale without adult supervision. I just couldnt bring myself to talk a kid hardly out of diapers on his own game collection so as I said I took his $10 offer on DoS which is obviously way to hard for him and left. O it was also kinda dissapointing because the kid was selling Goosebumps books and some housewife beat us to them by like 30 seconds. Im only missing three in my collection so I probally could have found atleast one of them...and resold the rest on amazon.

Outside that my fiancee scored a Wallace and Gromit VHS Collection set thats like new for $2. Only other thing of intreast was an N64 complete in box with like 10 really really crappy games. The lady wanted $30 for it and refused to barter at all so I walked away.

[quote name='Whambamm']I went out for about 2 hours today and was so disappointed in the people having the garage sales. People need to realize that a garage sale is mainly to get rid of stuff you don't want, not make a profit. Case in point, the only video game stuff I saw was a guy selling a boxed Dreamcast for $40, boxed N64 for $40, each Dreamcast game for $15, and each N64 game for $10. I'm gonna hit the pawn shops up in a little bit and hope I find something. Hope everyone had better luck today than me.[/QUOTE]

Sadly Garage Sales are dying. We are living in the technology age and everyone is either computer savy or has a kid who is....this means people check amazon/ebay before selling stuff or put a $5 tag on something just to have a son stop them and say mom thats worth $50.

Today was my first day this year of really looking for sales. I hit 5 or 6. The only video game item I saw was a Game Boy Color for $10. No games or anything with it. I also put an ad on Craig's List looking for games. I got one reply that sounded promising, but then the guy said to make an offer and he would compare it on ebay. So that might not turn out so good. Maybe next week.

i went to about 6 garage sales today, no videogames at any sadly. hit up a pawn shop and picked up rbi baseball 93 and 94 for the sega genesis though.

Soooo...I almost didn't go out today. There was one promising sale that I saw on craigslist a few days ago...but I did total my car three days ago. I got a rental yesterday, so that solves transportation. Now my ego is in the way as my face is still pretty torn up still from the airbag.

Anyways, I went and was happy with what I got. I probably should have gotten the SNES that was there too. It was very yellow and ugly though, but you can't really beat $3 (cept I have two SNESs already). You won't scoff at me when you see what I got. I should have also picked up Slam City for Sega CD it probably would have been worth a laugh a or two for the buck, it was a 4 cd game starring Scottie Pippen....heh.

1 JVC X'Eye System (with hook ups and 1 controller, the RF adaptor is broken though)
1 NES Power plug (not pictured, need it for the NES I got last week)
1 Rise of the Dragon (Sega CD, complete)
1 King's Knight (NES, cart only)
1 Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES, map and instructions)
1 Mega Man X (SNES, instructions only)
1 Final Fantasy III (SNES, box only)
1 Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES, box only)

PAID: $7

ZON - Nice score on the xeye - i've never even seen one in my ventures. I've really been hoping to find one, that and a turbo express would make my season

Yea, what a brilliant day. One guy had an SNES marked $35 bucks with one shitty game, and tried to tell me "That's how much it goes on eBay."

I wanted to tell him I'd give him 5 bucks for it and that if he wants eBay prices, he can go deal with the bullshit there.

He also tried to sell it under "how awesome and nostalgic" it is.

Bitch please.

[quote name='Strell']Yea, what a brilliant day. One guy had an SNES marked $35 bucks with one shitty game, and tried to tell me "That's how much it goes on eBay."

I wanted to tell him I'd give him 5 bucks for it and that if he wants eBay prices, he can go deal with the bullshit there.

He also tried to sell it under "how awesome and nostalgic" it is.

Bitch please.[/QUOTE]

Next time tell him that, honestly no laws against it. I'v had one person that mentioned ebay this year and I wasnt so upset because of they way she did it. I offered her $10 for something and she said I know I can get way more then that on ebay and said how about $18 which was more then fair. I dont mind if people up prices a bit using ebay as the reason....but honestly fuck them and fuck being polite to them if they honestly try and demmand ebay prices or even just under for their stuff.

1 Majora's Mask/Banjo-Tooie Promo VHS (Sealed)
Paid: 25 cents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For such a beautiful day, hardly anyone was holding sales. We only hit 25 over the entire morning.

Missed some Sega stuff at one sale. At another sale the guy had "a Game Gear and a ton of games". We gave him our number, as he was going to look for them right away. We were surprised when he called back 10 minutes later, stating he had the Game Gear and 4 games, but weren't surprised with the "I've seen these go for $70-80 on eBay, so I was looking to get $50" line. We politely said we'd think about it, but have no intent to ever call back.

Quiet, uneventful day. We figure people are finishing up their vacations, as August will be more Back-To-School oriented. Odd though, as last year we never had such a dry spell with sales (in terms of number of sales going on).

Hope others had better luck today!

[quote name='moiety']
1 Majora's Mask/Banjo-Tooie Promo VHS (Sealed)
Paid: 25 cents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For such a beautiful day, hardly anyone was holding sales. We only hit 25 over the entire morning.

Missed some Sega stuff at one sale. At another sale the guy had "a Game Gear and a ton of games". We gave him our number, as he was going to look for them right away. We were surprised when he called back 10 minutes later, stating he had the Game Gear and 4 games, but weren't surprised with the "I've seen these go for $70-80 on eBay, so I was looking to get $50" line. We politely said we'd think about it, but have no intent to ever call back.

Quiet, uneventful day. We figure people are finishing up their vacations, as August will be more Back-To-School oriented. Odd though, as last year we never had such a dry spell with sales (in terms of number of sales going on).

Hope others had better luck today![/QUOTE]

I actually AM jealous! I remember getting a few of those video back when TRU was like BFF with the N64! I got a few of those VHS!!

Why don't they do this anymore?!

[quote name='megaseadramon']I have never even heard of the X'Eye before[/QUOTE]

It's a JVC system that plays Genesis games and Sega CD games.

slow day:

PSX Wild 9, bare disc: $1.
Care Bears: the Movie DVD: $2 (favorite find of the day)
Shallow Hal DVD: $4

and my pal bought a PSX game enhancer/chip for $3.

lame as heck, but at least we didn't spend a ton.

Stuff for Friday and Saturday:

Toe Jam and Earl for $2 at the Goodwill. It was in a package but the lady let me buy it.
SNES games 2 for $5 at the swap meet.
The fan was $3, it's great!
Metal Slug 4/5 and Nanostray were from Kianta on GTZ

Finally, the DS Download version 1 for $10. The woman in the shop wanted $18, but I told her that it isn't a real game and it's only a demo. The I asked for a lower price so she lowered it to $10

findsb001.jpg

findsb002.jpg

I got these at a road side sale at Replay Games today.

Tomb Raider (Saturn) complete and near mint - $ .99
Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum (NES). I got this for my sister. Nostalgic. $.99
Top Spin/NCAA 2005 combo (complete mint) - $2.50

The guy there said they had TONS more yesterday so I probably missed out on a lot better stuff.
-------------------------------------
I got these from Goodwill.

Bladeforce (3D0) - mint w/instructions - $2.00
3D0 Game Guru - mint w/instruction - $2.00

I had been wanting Bladeforce for a longtime (even though I don't have a 3D0 yet.)

I need some advice from those who frequently go rummaging, because I'm getting really frustrated. I'm not finding any of this sweet stuff you guys are.

I live in a town of about 12,000. The closest large city is about 45 minutes away, and being 17, my parents won't let me walk around there by myself (or even with a friend). So I'm basically stuck in this 20-minute radius. The local paper gets sent out every Tuesday, and the rummage sale section is usually only filled with 10-15 ads, and then I usually end up finding 3-5 unlisted sales. Yet almost all of these turn out to be busts, even with the possible 20 sales a weekend.

For example. Today, I headed out at 8 am with a list of everywhere I would go. I had 16 sales: 3 multi-family, 1 church sale, and 12 regular sales. Only two of those had gaming related stuff (and all I could pick up from those was an overpriced Atari 2600 and a LoZ: ALTTP cart). I came home around noon with $24 gone and only a dirty Atari and ALTTP to show for it. I've gone rummaging twice now, and the first time my luck was worse than this time.

So, am I just not looking hard enough? For those of you who live in smaller towns, do you commute to larger cities? Can anyone give me some advice?

[quote name='xghostsniperx']I need some advice from those who frequently go rummaging, because I'm getting really frustrated. I'm not finding any of this sweet stuff you guys are.

I live in a town of about 12,000. The closest large city is about 45 minutes away, and being 17, my parents won't let me walk around there by myself (or even with a friend). So I'm basically stuck in this 20-minute radius. The local paper gets sent out every Tuesday, and the rummage sale section is usually only filled with 10-15 ads, and then I usually end up finding 3-5 unlisted sales. Yet almost all of these turn out to be busts, even with the possible 20 sales a weekend.

For example. Today, I headed out at 8 am with a list of everywhere I would go. I had 16 sales: 3 multi-family, 1 church sale, and 12 regular sales. Only two of those had gaming related stuff (and all I could pick up from those was an overpriced Atari 2600 and a LoZ: ALTTP cart). I came home around noon with $24 gone and only a dirty Atari and ALTTP to show for it. I've gone rummaging twice now, and the first time my luck was worse than this time.

So, am I just not looking hard enough? For those of you who live in smaller towns, do you commute to larger cities? Can anyone give me some advice?[/QUOTE]

i'm going to get beat up for saying this (and there've been several people who have said similiar things in the past), but here it goes:

only 2 or 3 people find these deals......emphasis on the word FIND. i have gone sailing many times, clear routes, early departure, and not found anything. asked every person at every sale and they don't have Sega Dreamcast's with the entire library of games for $6.85.....which some people get every single weekend. i would tell you to give up and try posting want ads on the web on craigslist.com if you live near an area on there, or come up with a pawn shop route. if you want, give flea markets a try. otherwise, i wouldn't believe everything you read on this thread....

LET THE BEATINGS BEGIN!!!

[quote name='xghostsniperx']I need some advice from those who frequently go rummaging, because I'm getting really frustrated. I'm not finding any of this sweet stuff you guys are.

So, am I just not looking hard enough? For those of you who live in smaller towns, do you commute to larger cities? Can anyone give me some advice?[/QUOTE]

As has been said. Ask at every sale if they have video games even if they dont have any out. Some people just assume no one is intreasted in their old games or they just forgot they had them. These are the people who are most likly to let them go on the cheap. Toss out low ball bids and work up to higher, if someone has $30 on something try saying $5 then they will probally drop a few bucks you go up a few, this lets you settle at a nice $15.

Dont be afraid to walk away from a sale. Alot of people will say no to your offers and not haggle at all but when you start to walk away as long as you didnt seem eager they will stop you. I had a sale just yesterday where someone said $20 for something and I said $3, we bartered a bit and I said I refused to go higher then $6. After she refused to budge I put the stuff down and started to walk away, as I got to the end of the sale she sighed and stopped me to take $6.

Finaly, you have to remember this is ALOT of luck. I went out yesterday and hit like 15 sales and the only game I found actually at a garage sale at a reasonable price was a Game Boy Pocket Color for $2....but today I only hit like 10 sales and walked away with Castlevania DoS for $10.

As for being in a small town....again Craigslist. Honestly, maybe your parents wont drop you off to wander around a city aimlessly. But when you explain you have a chance to pick up a $100 set of games for $5 they might be more willing to drive you.

Today, I picked up my second Oddessy 2.
This one was complete in box with all of the required wires (even a couple extras were tossed in), 4 carts, 1 complete in box. I talked the guy down to $10 for the lot of it, and he tossed in a kind of neat looking arcade stick for the SNES... it's a big clunky thing with arcade style buttons and hardware.

I also picked a stack of 8 disk only games for the Saturn and a Saturn racing wheel for $12.

[quote name='mm2barry'] otherwise, i wouldn't believe everything you read on this thread....

LET THE BEATINGS BEGIN!!![/quote]
no beating from me. i completely agree. i've caught more than a couple people online lying about where they bought something and for how much. a few folks like to spend $115 getting a pile of old goodies from ebay and showing up on forums (or otherwise) and BS'ing the price down to... say... $17. i'm not saying anyone here has done this!... just that i've seen it elsewhere and this site isn't immune to this sort of petty bragging. i've faith that a lot of the mentioned deals are legit, and i've landed a few amazing, almost-too-good-to-be-true deals myself (probably a couple a year), but sometimes your BS radar starts beeping and you just smile and think, "sure guy -- whatever."

xghostsniperx: location has a lot to do with it as well -- out here in San Diego, CA, we get a lot of traffic and sales from Mexico at our yard sales and swap meets. Eat me if you think i'm stereotyping, but i've lived here all my life and i know the following to be true: Mexicans (ie: living in Mexico, but selling in the US) and some Mex-Ams for the most part, seem to view and value video games differently than most folks in the US. they consider games to be far less disposable: old Abuelita just can't believe that the Gamecube game she bought for los ninos is no longer worth 50 dollars. she can't even part with it for less than 30. that's the kind of joy i run into literally every other sale, every weekend. it sucks, but you soldier on because, every once in a while, you'll run into someone that is either a bit more savvy to the concept of a USED SALE or just doesn't give a crap. i know that people living a bit further away from the border run into this as well, but not as often.

your age and appearance also has a lot to do with it as well -- people WILL try to screw you over more if you're a kid, or look very young. they think young person = gullible/jerk and treat you accordingly. while 40 year-old Joe Jack can probably wrestle those NES carts away at a buck apiece, you might have to struggle to get them for 5 or less -- they think you want them more. over time you'll pick up on the attitude and mannerisms that will literally get you cheaper stuff.

As the CAG Wiki states "When you get home...Report your finds in the CAG Official Yard Sale thread. Not only do member enjoy reading about your adventures, but it also encourages other to get out there and start hunting!". Well I actually got encouraged and decided to go do this today. Well I had already said I would go in my last post but anyways, here is what happened. I got my local newspaper from my neighbor (I cant really afford the newspaper) and she glady said I could even keep it. I looked through the whole thing and found 5 yard/garage sale ads. 2 of them my grandma and I had no Idea were located at, so we narrowed it down to 3. There was 2 garage sales and 1 Multi-Family one. The Wiki stated that these are combined yard sales, but I didnt understand it really, untill I got there. o_O it was amazing...it was a medical clinic parking lot, a church and somones yard sale all in one. You could even walk in the resident (They were selling there house) and could buy anything that was in there. Well I was browsing and I came into the "kids" room and it was as if the clouds opened up over this pile of SNES games and I could of swore I heard the angelic chorus, lol. Anyways, as I started to head over there, this stupid kid cut in front of me and was like "Mom I'm gonna buy these" even though she was in another room of the house. Another thing the CAG wiki states is "When at a sale, if you are interested in something, then pick it up and hold it. Do not put it down unless you are sure you do not want it. Someone else may be just waiting for you to put it down and "think" about it (while they pick it up and buy it).", and thats exactly what happened. When he left, I guess to get his money, I snatched up the games and ran to the cashier outside (I almost knocked down an old lady XD), and thats where my next adventure started. I was like "Ma'am, how much for these? (I clearly saw the tag of $5 each, there was 7) shes like "Well there $5 each" and I'm like "But, you may not know this, but these are imported from japan, they rarely have any value in the U.S.", and she replied "Oh, I didnt know that". I said "I wouldnt expect you would sell them at $5 each, how about 50cents a piece?" and she replied "Err..I tell you what, how about $1 a piece, and you got yourself a deal". I was like OMG yay! I paid the lil ol lady and met back up with my grandma. She was like "Did you find anything intresting?", and I was like "Yeah, look" and we gladly walked back to the car. On the way back I saw the kid (I was holding the games with my hands, no bag) and he's like "OMFG j00 have me games", and I'm like "Tough luck kid, I paid her first :p ", and he walked off. Pfft what a loser, he was like 17. So I got home and looked at my 7 SNES games. Of course I was reading the CAG Wiki, if you hadnt noticed yet, and it said I should check if they all work and clean them. Well I checked to see if they worked, it took a little blowing and slamming into my console, but they all worked. Here is what I stole, lol.

For $7.00 - All for SNES

Secret of Mana
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Gradius III
StarFox
NBA Jam
Captain America and the Avengers
Killer Instict

Secret of Mana and Lufia were almost to mint condition...almost makes me wonder :p

I also went to 2 other yard sales, but didnt find anything. I found a complete mint speaker system for $15, yu-gi-oh, spiderman, crashbandicoot and tomb raider for playstation, but they were like $10 a piece. And I also found what looked like a just open PS2 controller but I forgot to ask about it. I bet its still there, so I might go back, but I doubt it.

So thank you CAG for encourgaing me to get my butt out there and hassle people, its fun and exciting when you haggle people and get bargains and find games. Now I just have one question as I've never had more than 1 SNES game (I only have Super Metroid). If you look at the top of cartridge, to the top right, there is a bar, its either purple or red. What do those mean? And how would I go about cleaning the cartridges without a Mr.Clean? I have some alchohal, but it says 70% iso-whatever and IIRC, I had used alchohal (or maybe it was nail polish remover) on my gameboy games and it made the grey turn ugly white. I dont want that to happen, espically to my Killer Instict. Another question, why do the Indents on some SNES games differ from others? On Super Metroid the indent go's down, while on Starfox its a roundish indented line that goes from side to side.

Again thanks, cant wait till next weekend. Oh and dont forget, I saw other garage sells on the way, so there are always some not advertised, so if you dont see any in the paper, just go driving around. I saw about 3 un-advertised (I didnt really go that far). :)

bread's done
Back