OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

$20 for a 360? What the hell?

Anyway, today was useless for me. I went to about 32 sales, and I only saw one with video games. Somebody was selling a PS1 with three crappy games for $20. Naturally, I left, but not before picking up a complete 2003 edition Risk board game for $2.

Today was a very cruddy day for yardsailing. Maybe I could have improved my chances by searching for sales in the right neighborhoods. Does anybody know if there are certain neighborhoods to visit when yardsailing?

I got beat to two yard sales, one advertised Nintendo Games Galore, they told me some lady came first thing and bought them all. The next one said old Sega Sys, the guy told me I got beat by 10 minutes.

Only thing so far I got was a Shark Pad for N64 for my buddy. I didn't want to pay $2 but that's what I got it for. Oh well, not my money.

There are three neighbors selling stuff so I'm about to walk across the street and take a look. Hopefully some good luck as I've had shitty luck so far.

If the lady had actually bought a 360 for her son she'd know how much it would be worth. Unless her husband bought it. The lady needs to be slapped viciously with her head snapping back.

I believe her because she looked like the typical soccer mom and she wasn't running the yard sale. She was just next door and sold the 360 while her son was gone. Anyways I left her my number because she said she might have some more videogames. Maybe she will have a ps2 for $2 or something. LOL

[quote name='ryanaz3']I left late at about 7:30 today to go out for the first time. I went to about 12 sales all said they had tons of video game stuff earlier. At the final sale the lady said I missed out on a Xbox 360 by two minutes. I didnt care but I asked how much she sold it for and she said $20! I made sure we were talking about the 360 not the orginal and she said yah she got it this past christmas and her spoiled son never played it.

Lesson learned I need to go out earlier!
O well best of luck to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i'll have to fly the BS flag on this one.

The items pictured came from the same sale across the street from my house. Some carts with instructions and sleeves (not pictured), only one without manual is Track and Field 2 (all games $.50 each). I thought the sign was amusing so I picked it up ($.50) (measures 10"X14"). The last piece is a doozy...cost me $5 but it's huge, the guy told me he used to work at FOX and he worked on the Simpsons (it has not for resale, for promotional use only stuff written on the side)(measures 39 1/2"X27"). Awesome. I did miss out on some Futurama promotional stuff as I was 2 minutes too late and some other guy was buying it.

PAID: $8.50

Not a bad day on Eastern Long Island:

PS2, 2 Controllers, Memory Card $25

Super Nintendo, no controllers, Killer Instinct, and a couple of shit games $2

Genesis, Ver 2. Sonic 2 $2

Zelda, Majora Mask $1

5 Nintendo Games (Blaster Master, SMB2, Contra, Lost Castle) and a Rumble Pack 64 brand new $3.

[quote name='soccerstud652']No way any mom, soccer mom or not, would sell it for @20 because her son is "spoiled". She knows it is well worth $400 because she probably bought it.[/quote]

Yeah She was probably screwing with me but If I ever get a 360 I would just sell it. Everyone I know that has one never uses it.

I see I'm not the only one who had a bad yardsailing day. The only game item i saw was a ps2 for $35, but it had obviously been opened, The screw covers were missing. Oh yeah and they forgot to tighten the screws all the way. I know a little bit about opening a ps2 and i know that there is a wire that will rip if you don't open it right.

I had kind of a depressing morning. On my first stop I saw an Atari with 3 joysticks but no games and it looked like there may have been a cable missing. I wasn't really interested enough to check it too thoroughly since there weren't any games. About 10 stops later I decided to call my work and make sure I knew when to go in and it turned out I had to be there in an hour so I went home. Ah well the hunt itsself is pretty fun. Maybe next time.

1 Super Nintendo console (w/ power adapter + NES R/F hookup + manual)
2 1st party SNES controllers
1 Clay Fighters: Tournament Edition (SNES, complete)
1 Super Battleship (SNES, complete)
1 MechWarrior (SNES, cart + manual)
1 Super Mario World (SNES, cart + manual)
1 NBA Showdown (SNES, cart only)
1 Megaman X (SNES, cart only)
1 Battle Clash (SNES, cart only)
1 Alien Vs. Predator manual
Paid: $2

1 Contra III (SNES, cart only)
1 Final Fight (SNES, cart only)
1 Mortal Kombat II (SNES, cart only)
1 Super Bases Loaded (SNES, cart only)
1 NCAA Basketball (SNES, cart only)
1 NBA All-Star Challenge (SNES, cart only)
1 NBA Jam (SNES, cart only)
1 WWF Super Wrestlemania (SNES, cart only)
1 Super NES Super Scope 6 (SNES, cart only)
1 George Foreman's KO Boxing (SNES, cart only)
1 Super Empire Strikes Back (SNES, cart only)
1 Battle Clash (SNES, cart only)
1 Super Mario All-Stars (SNES, cart only)
1 Super Mario World (SNES, cart only)
1 Tecmo Superbowl (SNES, cart only)
1 Pilotwings (SNES, cart only)
1 Diddy Kong Racing N64 promo VHS
Paid: $5

1 Banjo Tooie (N64, cart only)
Paid: 50 cents

1 Super Mario Bros. 3 VHS
Paid: 25 cents

1 Riven (PC, complete)

1 Shonen Jump (Sept 2005)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

45 sales today, and we got a lot of SNES love. :)

The SNES and games were the first find of the day, at a sale we went to earlier this year (didn't realize until we arrived). We asked last time and they said they didn't have anything, but this time there was a SNES and a bag of games in plain view. We figured it's multifamily and there was a different friend or relative selling at that house. CIF'd $2.

At another sale, the SNES games were in a shoebox marked $2 each (almost missed them too!). We CIF'd $5 for the box, and the woman hesitated. Then one of her friends said, "Aw come on your not gonna sell them..." so she gave in. Sweet!

Riven is a personal fave of mine, but I stupidly threw out the box back in the day, so I've been keeping my eye out for it. I saw a couple last year that were overpriced and passed. Came across it later in the day in a box of PC games marked $1 each, all complete. They happily took my quarter though! Ironically, a couple sales later we saw another complete Riven, marked $3 down from $5. I was tempted to pick up a 2nd copy, again trying for a quarter, but I let it go.

After having to leave behind an overpriced Banjo Tooie last week, it came around again. Funny how that happens.

When we inquired at one sale about video games, this woman kept going on and on about how she just sold a NES and 4 games for "only $10!" It was like she was trying to rub it in that we missed it. Moreover, she was definitely on some kind of drug - she was talking weird and kept talking and just made us really uncomfortable.

Passed on a dirty NES and 3 games (already had them anyway). Tried to CIF $1 (this is after the woman dropped the bag of games, broke a piece of pottery she was selling, and dropped one of the carts), but she just exclaimed, "Noooo". So that was that.

Random cuteness of the day: a couple was giving away kittens at their sale. There were 2 of them curled up in a shoebox. We were tempted to stop and play with them a bit, but we were on a tight schedule. Still, it was a cute sight to see.

Hope everyone had some luck today!

a lot of money spent, but i think it was ok

(9) zelda collection, zelda four swords, tails of symphonia
(.50) casette tape adapter
(20) beach cruiser
(30) brand new pikachu edition n64 (how much can i get on ebay for this)
(10) tennis racket and 2 playstation 2 controllers

i think thats it

Not that good of a day for me. Hit about 20 sales in 4 hrs. The day started off with promise. I scored a like new Sony 4-head VCR. The guy was asking $2. I offered $1 to which he replied "It's Sony for Christ sakes" I coughed up the $2.

The next sale I hit I asked for games and the guy told me he had a PS2 and a GC with a bunch of games, he just wanted to get rid of it stating " I don't play games anymore" he said it was packed away and to come back in 20 minutes or so. Then his wife said I think I know where it is, so I waited and was talking with the guy while his wife searched and trying to get a ballpark price out of him and he was like I'll let it all go really cheap. 15 - 20 minutes later she comes back and says i can't find it. Then he says I think I packed it in the garage and then he goes off to find them. 15 minutes later he comes back with the box. There were a PS2 and GC complete in really decent shape and about 15 games, mostly sports and older titles. So I try and CIF $50 to which he replied I gotta get at least $125 that's the best I can do. I knew he was'nt going lower so I left. But I was quite pissed because I wasted about 40 min. of prime time for nothing

A later sale about 11:30 I found
Dino Crisis disc only w/ stradegy guide
Resident Evil 2 GH - complete
Resident Evil nemesis - complete
Resident Evil Survivor - complee
Final Fantasy IX - complete
All discs are in like new condition except disc 3 on the FF which had some light scratchs. The kid wanted $1 each and $2 for the FF. I CIF him $5 which he took. This was nice for me cause I don't have any of these games.

Last sale I hit - had a kinda dirty SNES deck only. The lady said all the other VG stuff sold. If I wanted it I could have it for .50 cause there's no wires. Kind of a no brainer on this.

I went to one sale that was kind of interesting. young kid hanging out maybe 15-16. I ask for games and he goes inside and comes out with a stack of 20 GC games. Many were used EB games with stickers still on them. Ikaruga, Paper Mario, RE4, Pikmin, and a Zelda were the standouts. So I ask the kid how much and he comes back with $1 each. Well I could'nt get the twenty out fast enough. I go to give the kid the cash and his (I'm guessing here) mother walks up and angrily says to me "what are you fucking crazy $20 for all those games. If you want them ther're $20 each. So I shoot her a look of surprise and then start bopping my head up and down side to side trying to look behind and around her. Then she says "what are you looking for" I replied as I turned and walked away "your crack pipe"

Oh I forgot. Highlander DVD - $1

Edit: Now that I think of it this is my first psycho situation this year. Last year there were several similar situations where people were totally unhinged.

[quote name='Mind_n_Soul']a lot of money spent, but i think it was ok

(9) zelda collection, zelda four swords, tails of symphonia
(.50) casette tape adapter
(20) beach cruiser
(30) brand new pikachu edition n64 (how much can i get on ebay for this)
(10) tennis racket and 2 playstation 2 controllers

i think thats it[/quote]

The highest pikachu 64 auction went with 6 games and it barely broke $30, you may have gotten screwed on that one.

[quote name='snotknocker']

Not that good of a day for me. Hit about 20 sales in 4 hrs. The day started off with promise. I scored a like new Sony 4-head VCR. The guy was asking $2. I offered $1 to which he replied "It's Sony for Christ sakes" I coughed up the $2.

The next sale I hit I asked for games and the guy told me he had a PS2 and a GC with a bunch of games, he just wanted to get rid of it stating " I don't play games anymore" he said it was packed away and to come back in 20 minutes or so. Then his wife said I think I know where it is, so I waited and was talking with the guy while his wife searched and trying to get a ballpark price out of him and he was like I'll let it all go really cheap. 15 - 20 minutes later she comes back and says i can't find it. Then he says I think I packed it in the garage and then he goes off to find them. 15 minutes later he comes back with the box. There were a PS2 and GC complete in really decent shape and about 15 games, mostly sports and older titles. So I try and CIF $50 to which he replied I gotta get at least $125 that's the best I can do. I knew he was'nt going lower so I left. But I was quite pissed because I wasted about 40 min. of prime time for nothing

A later sale about 11:30 I found
Dino Crisis disc only w/ stradegy guide
Resident Evil 2 GH - complete
Resident Evil nemesis - complete
Resident Evil Survivor - complee
Final Fantasy IX - complete
All discs are in like new condition except disc 3 on the FF which had some light scratchs. The kid wanted $1 each and $2 for the FF. I CIF him $5 which he took. This was nice for me cause I don't have any of these games.

Last sale I hit - had a kinda dirty SNES deck only. The lady said all the other VG stuff sold. If I wanted it I could have it for .50 cause there's no wires. Kind of a no brainer on this.

I went to one sale that was kind of interesting. young kid hanging out maybe 15-16. I ask for games and he goes inside and comes out with a stack of 20 GC games. Many were used EB games with stickers still on them. Ikaruga, Paper Mario, RE4, Pikmin, and a Zelda were the standouts. So I ask the kid how much and he comes back with $1 each. Well I could'nt get the twenty out fast enough. I go to give the kid the cash and his (I'm guessing here) mother walks up and angrily says to me "what are you fucking crazy $20 for all those games. If you want them ther're $20 each. So I shoot her a look of surprise and then start bopping my head up and down side to side trying to look behind and around her. Then she says "what are you looking for" I replied as I turned and walked away "your crack pipe"

Oh I forgot. Highlander DVD - $1

Edit: Now that I think of it this is my first psycho situation this year. Last year there were several similar situations where people were totally unhinged.[/QUOTE]

Pikmin [1] and Ikaruga would have been good at $20 each.

You yard sale people are too cheap.

[quote name='sarausagi']Pikmin [1] and Ikaruga would have been good at $20 each.

You yard sale people are too cheap.[/quote]
Pikman 1 for $20 is not a deal, maybe 2 years ago, but now its hardly worth $5

[quote name='Scrubsy']Pikman 1 for $20 is not a deal, maybe 2 years ago, but now its hardly worth $5[/QUOTE]

While Pikmin 2 catches less than $10 even new, I haven't seen a complete Pikmin [one] in ages, not in a store

I know sealed ones get some insane amounts too.

today's stuff (paid quite a bit more than i planned on, but the good stuff kept comin'):

Xbox Chronicles of Riddick (Platinum Hits, yech) & Nintendo brand GBA SP power supply, $3 for both.

N64 w/all cables, 1 controller, expansion pack and the following games:
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Winnie the Pooh: Tigger's Hunny Hunt

PS2 w/no cables, 1 controller, tested and working

1 Official Nintendo Power Yoshi's Island (SMA3) Strategy Guide
all for $30.

N64 w/all cables, 4 controllers, 1 Performance brand memory card, 1 Rumble Pak, and the following games:

1080 Snowboarding
Cruisin' World w/manual
NFL Blitz 2001 w/manual
Micro Machines 64 Turbo
Goldeneye 007
WWF: No Mercy
all for $12

GEN Spiderman
GEN Taz in Escape from Mars
both for 50 cents.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5 DVD box set
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7 DVD box set
Garfield Takes the Cake
all for $9

GC Mario Superstar Baseball, complete
GC Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, complete
both for $15

GEN Instruments of Chaos: Young Indiana Jones, complete $2

NES Excitebike manual, slightly crinkled
Hoobastank CD
Rascal Flatts CD
free

one of our cats, Snowbaby, in a fruitbowl.
free

TOTAL: $71.50

=======================================

okay, so this week, i decided i'd finally snap a few pics of my finds. here's what happened today, in a nutshell:

i decided to sleep in a bit today, so i didn't even leave my house until 7am. my parents live just a few miles from my house, and their neighborhood was having one of those delightful neighborhood-wide garage sales. there were about 30 in all. while poking around at the first one i stopped at, who should call on my phone, but my mom! by coincidence, she was just one block over and had found (she said), "Chronicles of Redneck, or something... it's an Xbox game. Do you want it?" lol. i drove around and met up with her. there was a young guy (maybe 15-16), selling 3 Xbox games: Chronicles of Riddick, and two Sims games. well, i had no intention of picking up the Sims games, but he said he'd take 5 for Riddick. i spied a GBA SP power supply in a basket, and asked where the system was. he said he didn't have it anymore, but i could have the cable for a dollar. i offered him $3 for both the game and cable. he seemed very happy, and said, "sure!" done deal.

just a few sales down the same street, i almost missed an N64 with some games, shoved in a box. i asked the lady "how much", and she said 15. bleh. i mean, not horrible, but O.K... i thought about telling her 8, but then her son came 'round outta the house with a big box. guess what's on top: a PS2. yay! i pointed to it and asked the price of it, to which she said 30. eh, that's not bad. they had no games for it, but the boy said he could rustle up a controller. while he went inside, i went back and forth with the lady on a price. i tried to get both the N64 and PS2 for 20, but that wasn't happening. she wouldn't go any lower than 30, at which point her son came out with the Dualshock 2... i finally caved and handed over the cash. a funny moment: while we were arguing, the lady was digging thru some boxes of books, and tossed the Yoshi's Island guide on top of the N64 (i think at this point, she thought i wasn't going to buy it). after handing her the money, i took the PS2 from the son, and reached for the N64 box. i scooped up the guide along with all the other stuff. the lady made an "uh" sound and looked like she wanted to take the guide off of my precious pile, but i gave her the "stink-eye", like as if to say, "forget it -- she's coming with ME!"... she waved it away, and i headed to my car.

the second N64 and games came from a house a few blocks down the way. i almost didn't see them. some lady grabbed a bag that contained the system and games, held it up and asked how much. the guy there said 20, and she set it down. i immediately started digging thru to see what titles were there. no A-list stuff, but if i could get it for less than 20, i was happy. i offered him 10, and he said no, that 20 was the lowest he'd go. i left it there (all part of my plan, hehehe). my mom was also at this sale, and as i walked away from the guy, she asked why i didn't want it. i said (a little too loud, wink!), "that's too much. they're not worth very much anymore." she was still looking so i hovered near the bag again, pretending to look at some books. the guy says, "well, maybe i can take 15." i told him i'd go as high as 12, since the N64 was no longer in demand. he tells me, "i've had plenty of people interested in this today." i came back with, "yeah, but no one has bought it for that 20 bucks, have they? c'mon, you're not gonna get more than 12 for all this, i guarantee you." he swayed around, eyeballed the system, eyeballed me, looked around, and finally asked his mom (i'm guessing?). she told him, "it's up to you, leave me out of it!" (in a nice way), and he finally agreed.

the Genesis games were easy. they had 50c labels on them already. i told the seller i'd give them 50c for both, and of course they accepted. at that price, i wanted to know if they had the system or any other video game stuff -- they didn't.

the Star Trek DVD boxsets were kinda neat. they're kinda pricey in the store, but for a few bucks, i'll take 'em. i thought she'd say something crazy, like 20 bucks each, but she only wanted 5 apiece. after opening them, it turns out that Season 7 is missing one of the discs, which sucks, but she took off a dollar for that, so i figured "why not?"... i asked her to throw in the Garfield book, and she did.

the Mario titles were at a yard sale across town from the others, amongst a purty stack of about 16 games (PS2, XB and GC). these were the only two that really spoke to me, and i decided i'd only pick up the others if the price was just rotten cheap. she wanted 10 each, and after sizing her up, knew that she wanted some decent cash for them. i offered 15 for the two, which she took right away. i think the Mario Baseball game is one of my favorite finds today.

we later hit a local swap meet which usually produces a few good items every week, but this week the pickings were somewhat slim. there were some nice items, but they were priced just a little out of my comfort zone, and after shelling out more than a few bucks earlier in the morning, i was feeling cheap and half-asleep, and just about done for the day. i picked up
the Indiana Jones game simply because i've never seen it; i figured it's not rare, but it's complete and the guy only wanted 2 bucks. i offered 1, which he declined, and feeling lazy, i didn't put up a fight. my other favorite find of the day was a paperback of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row -- if this wasn't required reading at your middle school/high school, you missed out. it's a great book, and worth every bit of the 25c it cost me (forgot a pic of this, sorry).

after the swap, we hit one more yard sale on the way back to my parents' house. no games, but i found the crinkled Excitebike manual and asked the lady running the sale if i could have it. she shrugged like she didn't know what it was and said okay. the CDs i found: earlier in the morning, i dropped off my car at my parents' house and just rode along with my mom and brother. i'm a freak in that whenever i find loose CDs laying around the road (or anywhere), i always pick them up and check them out; you never know when it'll be a game or a good music CD. as we were driving along, i hollered for my mom to stop as i'd seen the two discs laying upside down on the side of the road: both looked and played fine (i immediately popped one into the car stereo to check it out and laugh). the Rascal Flatts CD was okay, for country, but the guy's voice is kinda annoying. Hoobastank did just that -- it stank. boy, those guys are horrible.

lastly, that picture of my cat is just for kicks. we have two cats, Snowbaby and Greybaby, and for some unknown reason, they adore the fruitbowl that sits on our dining room table. whenever it's empty, they jump in there and sleep for hours. i snapped a pic of Snowbaby yesterday, and she looked so cute i figured i'd show it off. oh, and for the record, both of our cats were found "in the wild" (one in a school parking lot, the other stuck in some pallets behind Home Depot), so they were technically free. cheapass, no?

this is officially my longest post on CAG ever. and that's all.

[quote name='allyourblood']today's stuff (paid quite a bit more than i planned on, but the good stuff kept comin'):

N64 w/all cables, 1 controller, expansion pack and the following games:
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Winnie the Pooh: Tigger's Hunny Hunt

PS2 w/no cables, 1 controller, tested and working

GC Mario Superstar Baseball, complete
GC Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, complete
both for $15

[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to feel like I'm threadcrapping, but this thread never ceases to amaze me, you people find some incredible unbelievable deals

but seriously, you got a working PS2 for $30 with a N64 on top of it plus two relatively new GC games for $156 and you feel like you "paid quite a bit more"

[quote name='sarausagi']I'm starting to feel like I'm threadcrapping, but this thread never ceases to amaze me, you people find some incredible unbelievable deals

but seriously, you got a working PS2 for $30 with a N64 on top of it plus two relatively new GC games for $156 and you feel like you "paid quite a bit more"[/quote]
Catch the fever! Head out sailing a few times and you'll start to have reservations on paying more than $1 a piece for ANY videogame. There's nothing special about what we do, and you could easily find deals just like the ones listed. I hope you give it a shot some time soon, while the weather is still nice!

[quote name='sarausagi']I'm starting to feel like I'm threadcrapping, but this thread never ceases to amaze me, you people find some incredible unbelievable deals

but seriously, you got a working PS2 for $30 with a N64 on top of it plus two relatively new GC games for $15 and you feel like you "paid quite a bit more"[/quote]
well, hang on. when i said that i felt as if "i paid quite a bit more than i planned on", i just meant that i didn't plan on spending $70+ today. the prices of the items themselves were fair (in my opinion), but when i got home, i had to tell the wife that i'd just spent 70 bucks for more video games. i usually try to keep it under 40 a week.

oh, and i fixed your GC price.

[quote name='allyourblood']well, hang on. when i said that i felt as if "i paid quite a bit more than i planned on", i just meant that i didn't plan on spending $70+ today. the prices of the items themselves were fair (in my opinion), but when i got home, i had to tell the wife that i'd just spent 70 bucks for more video games. i usually try to keep it under 40 a week.

oh, and i fixed your GC price.[/QUOTE]

I'm still amazed, so what do you do with so many gaming items?

The games I can see keeping them all, but surely the excess consoles you sell on ebay or cag?

[quote name='moiety']Bins. Lots of bins...[/QUOTE]

Bins = buy it nows?

Please tell me this isn't just a huge obessive compulsive disorder cults? Searching for $1 consoles and games just to have them in plastic storage bins?

Hopefully you're just storing them in bins to sort them, clean them, and either start using them or selling them?

[quote name='sarausagi']I'm still amazed, so what do you do with so many gaming items?

The games I can see keeping them all, but surely the excess consoles you sell on ebay or cag?[/quote]
well, having two of a console can be cool. i can put one in my living room, one in in my studio, and shoot, if i have a third, that one can go in the bedroom. but really, in the past, i've usually either given console dupes to friends/family, or sold them on ebay. i haven't traded a system on CAG yet, but someone might be interested, i suppose.

other times, i'll use the spares to experiment. i took a chance on a spare Genesis some time back and added a region mod & switch. after the first was successful, i did it again to a third, and gave that to a friend. i also like to buy up cheap incomplete systems, in an effort to find the parts they need and restore them to their original completeness (and then maybe sell them; i've done this with a few TG16s).

extra consoles also make cool decorations/conversation pieces, if you're way dorky (like me). polish 'em up, and set them on a shelf, just like in real live, bonafide city museum! ;)

[quote name='sarausagi']Please tell me this isn't just a huge obessive compulsive disorder cults? Searching for $1 consoles and games just to have them in plastic storage bins?[/QUOTE]

I think that's what your looking at :) I'm guilty of having about 6 systems of afew of them (NESes & Genesis systems) but I am quite happy with 2 of each system. One to use and one has a backup and have 2 systems of most of the retro stuff (SNES, N64, Saturn, SMS, TG-16)

I get the we had video games and sold them at the start of the sale type of thing about as much as anyone but I usually picture it being a NES, Genesis or N64 and afew common or crap games from what people say but today I had someone tell me that they had a Nintendo and about 40 games. They also said that somebody bought them up in a snap on Friday as if one of the first people to step onto their property bought them.

Yardsaling is funny as although it's not much I did find 2 SNES games for a buck only a block away from my house today at an unadvertised sale and while it's not much I rarely see the old cart games around with my only quality retro gaming yardsale finds this yard coming from afew lucky "do you have any games?" where I got first dibs on stuff that would have lasted about as long as I can hold my breath if these people actually had it out for sale at their yardsales :)

I typically only hit up the yardsales within my suburb also this year as to save on gas while last year I would venture out more so to some of the neighboring areas.

Gas prices have been a huge turnoff on yardsaling. I used to spend 6-7 hours, pretty much a whole saturday salin' (I work @ 5pm too) and would eat up a half tank of gas. Now I spend two hours tops goin nowhere out of a 5 mile radius. Not worth the long trips for 2 genesis games or the common overpirced ebay people or the little kids who can "trade it in for more" yet never do. I had 5 sales to go to this mornin' but couldn't get out of bed. I think I am starting to lose some spirit, this summer has by far been the worst I have ever had when it comes to g-sales.

I know this isn't the normal thing that gets posted in here, but I don't care, because I am extremely happy about this deal I got.

I got the following records:
Led Zeppelin - IV (great cond. practically new)
The Beatles - Let It Be
The Beatles - some weird compilation
The Eagles - Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Janis Joplin - Pearl
John Lennon - Imaggine
2 Paul McCartney unkown albums
1 ringo starr unkwown
john lennon/yoko ono - Double Fantasy
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
One unkown george harrison record

edit: fogot to say i got all these for free!

Man you wouldn't believe the stacks and stacks of free records I've received. Anyway at least you got a few gems there. Congrats.
Yesterday I got a few things too...

NES
1. Crystalis
2. Final Fantasy
3. Yoshi $1.80

SNES
Super Nintendo Mini-Deck for $3.80
1. Arcana
2. Brandish
3. Final Fantasy II
4. Ogre Battle: The March Of The Black Queen
5. Runes Of Virtue II
6. Super Valis IV
7. Tegmo Secret Of The Stars

Playstation
1. Silent Hill

Everything except yoshi and the snes mini-deck were 4 bucks a piece. This was a pawn shop price so there wasn't any budging going on (not for lack of trying)

It's RPG weekend for me apparently. Nothing too amazing. Once again a pawn shop. This time I nudged them into giving me 15% off everything. Games started at 3.99 each and then got the discount.

Alll SNES
Act Raiser
Drakkhen
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Lagoon
The Legend Of Zelda: ALTTP
Super Ghouls And Ghosts

Also two Sega Dreamcast VMU's for 2.99 each before the discount

[quote name='soccerstud652']I had 5 sales to go to this mornin' but couldn't get out of bed.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way since I'm not much of a morning person. I decided that sleep is more important then getting up at seven to go yardsaling this year if I get to sleep late or if I'm just feeling lazy :) Sometimes I don't start yardsaling until about 10 or 11 and figure if I don't find anything it's no BFD if I only spend about an hour yardsaling and a gallon of gas or less.

First time post, yay!

Was at my boyfriend's house, who lives in the city (I live twenty minutes outside of the city) so it was my idea to check out garage sales before we caught the bus to go to the University's anime club. The first sale, had nothing, the second sale had nothing (well except plushie that I had to have and it was only 25 cents :)) We hopped on our bus and stopped off at Seven Eleven to get a Crush for me and a Slushiee for him. The next sale that we came upon, actually had video games. A NES with controllers, a orange zapper, about three games (one of the games was the Adventures of Link), and I think it had all the hookups. There was also a Playstation with a old ratty box, an Atari Flashback (which was missing the nine volt plug in but could of/might of been easy to replace). We were just standing there unintrested, when this guy starts loading the NES into the Playstation box, he then asks the seller how much it is. His response, 15 dollars for each console, then he saw the console, that the guy had actually loaded into the box and said it was more. This garage sale had one of the things I don't like, no price tags/stickers, nothing at all. Not wanting to haggle with this guy and not really needing anything we left. Came across some other sales..none had garage sales. All in all it was a fun experience, I've just noticed that some people have a high value of some of their stuff(aka, it goes for this much on e-bay). I always thought garage sales were about clearing out space but for some it is to make money. Hopefully more people had more luck this weekend.

~Patricia

[quote name='Skittlesforever']This garage sale had one of the things I don't like, no price tags/stickers, nothing at all. Not wanting to haggle with this guy and not really needing anything we left. [/quote]
hey Patricia, welcome to the fold.

regarding the price tags/stickers, you should be glad. in my experience, i'd say that at 9/10 "price tag yard sales" the seller is asking too much. the people who organise their sales in this way seem to think too highly of what they're selling. usually the fact that they're taking the time to tag everything tells me that 1) they're not willing to haggle and they mark their items in an effort to discourage it, and 2) they're treating their sale like a retail store, and that usually means their prices are WAY too high. if some guy marks an NES $20, he's made a conscious, calculated decision. he invested a moment in determining what its value is, and probably feels that that's his lowest price. after all, if he was willing to haggle or go lower, why would he have bothered labelling things at all, right? so we say BOOOO to him!

what you want in a garage sale is the type of person who has good stuff, but very little concern for any of it. not pricing their junk means (a lot of the time, anyway) that the seller isn't terribly interested in the presentation of their sale; rather, they just want to dump out their junk and pick up a few bucks while getting rid of it. the untagged items also lend themselves to a better haggling experience. pretend we've found another NES, unmarked in a heap of other electronics. we ask the seller how much, and he says, "$20", off the top of his head. that gives us wiggle room! he likely hasn't analysed the condition of the items, and if for instance, there is a corresponding pile of games, he probably hasn't counted them or factored in their worth either. so we tell him, "well, i don't know. i'll give you $8. this stuff isn't really popular anymore." he's caught off-guard, and if you're dangling the octo-dollars in his face, i betcha 9 outta 10 that he's gonna take it.

now this doesn't mean you shouldn't try to bargain with a pre-tagged sale; just that you're less likely to drill those prices down, which, after all, is most of the fun!

Geeeez, MF Dagger. Slow down on those RPG scores...if you go too quickly you'll have all the rare SNES RPGs before you know it. =P Seriously, nice score...Ogre Battle alone would make that set for me, but getting FF1, 2, AND 3 is also very cool. Enjoy Arcana...that one happens to be a personal favorite of mine :)

What a crappy, rainy weekend up here.:cry:

A lot of GSales were postponed due to weather but I was still able to find some stuff.

Picked this up for $1. The carboard is bending but poster is still behind plastic with no rips, creases, mold, etc. Copyright says 1977. This may be woth more than $1.

IMG_6516.jpg

The next buy was from a guy (late 20's early 30's who was selling a modded PS1 w/20 games (7 original and 13 burned). He wanted $50 for all. I asked how much for just the original games and he said $20. I said all I have is $15. He hesitated for a few seconds and then said sure. Not bad at all for $15 seeing as I had none of these. All are complete and in great condition, I was happy!

IMG_6518.jpg

The last for the day was this NES system. She wanted $3 for the console $2 for the controller and $1 for each game. She said it all works as her son put a new "connector" inside. I offered her $5 for all and she took. I guess not too bad as the system & games tested with no problems.

Games-
The Legend of Zelda
Yoshi's Cookie
Super Pitfall

IMG_6519.jpg

Ahhh maybe next week will be more eventful....no rain!!!:hot:

Good luck next week ya cheap bastards!
Joe

Went to one neighborhood sale this week only one guy had game related stuff. He had a spool of pc games (quake 2, mech warrior, etc,) for $2 each. I didnt even bother asking about any. The next day i rode up there just to check it out again.

Apparently the sale ended saturday so when i went on sunday about 3 houses set out everything left for free. A friend and I ended up leaving with... Microsoft plug and play gamepad, microsoft sidewinder dual stike (great for fps games), dunlop tennis racket, xbox hat, bike gloves, and a microsoft sidewinder joystick. All for free

On the way home we stopped at one sale where I got a 9 volt ac plug for a guitar effect pedal I have for $1. Not a bad week considering we only went to 2 sales and only spent $1 :D

[quote name='jcs7573']What a crappy, rainy weekend up here.:cry:

A lot of GSales were postponed due to weather but I was still able to find some stuff.

Picked this up for $1. The carboard is bending but poster is still behind plastic with no rips, creases, mold, etc. Copyright says 1977. This may be woth more than $1.

IMG_6516.jpg

The next buy was from a guy (late 20's early 30's who was selling a modded PS1 w/20 games (7 original and 13 burned). He wanted $50 for all. I asked how much for just the original games and he said $20. I said all I have is $15. He hesitated for a few seconds and then said sure. Not bad at all for $15 seeing as I had none of these. All are complete and in great condition, I was happy!

IMG_6518.jpg

The last for the day was this NES system. She wanted $3 for the console $2 for the controller and $1 for each game. She said it all works as her son put a new "connector" inside. I offered her $5 for all and she took. I guess not too bad as the system & games tested with no problems.

Games-
The Legend of Zelda
Yoshi's Cookie
Super Pitfall

IMG_6519.jpg

Ahhh maybe next week will be more eventful....no rain!!!:hot:

Good luck next week ya cheap bastards!
Joe[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, a non-GH copy of FF7 & 6 other games for $15

[quote name='anomynous']Holy shit, a non-GH copy of FF7 & 6 other games for $15[/quote]

I know. When I saw all the games I thought to myself everything for $50 is still a bargain! But I already have a modded PS1 and many of the CD-R's I already had in original games. I was only interested in Resident Evil 2, Dino Crisis 2 and of course the non-GH FF7 but figured if I asked for all the non CD-R games it wouldn't possibly tip off the fact he had one game worth more than what he was asking for the whole lot. When I showed him the games he looked at everyone I had in my hand I thought for sure he'd say "Not FF7, that's worth alot on Ebay!" He actually went in the house to get MLB 99 because he said he forgot to put it out. I was really lucky on this one...about as lucky as the $3 Intelligent Qube I got a few weeks ago! Some people just have no idea! I love it...it's like a drug!:bouncy:

Already planning out this weeks plan of attack!

Go cheap or go home! That's my motto!;)

Good luck you cheap bastards!
Joe

I just got an e-mail offer from someone on Craigslist. He is selling the following:

>NES Games:
>
>1)Super Mario Brothers
>2) Tecmo Super Bowl
>3)Star Voyager
>4)Slalom
>5)Round Ball
>6)Mario Duck Hunt
>7)Skate or Die
>8)Shockwave
>9)Rush N' Attack
>10) Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball
>11)Tecmo Bowl
>12)Junior Jeopardy Jr.
>13)Tiny Toon Adventure
>14)R.B.I. Baseball
>15)Bases loaded
>16)Football
>17)Iron Tank
>18)Kings of the Beach
>19)Fighting Golf
>20)Bases Loaded 3
>21)Milon's Secret Castle
>22)Super Mario Brothers/ Duck Hunt
>23)Ice Hockey
>24)Hogan's Alley
>25)Harlem Globetrotters
>26)Graduis
>27)Golf
>28)Tecmo World Wrestling
>29)World Class Trackmeet
>30) Winter Games
>31)Win, Lose, or Draw
>32)Trojan
>33)Tiger-Heli
>34)Baseball
>35)Double Dribble
>36)Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum
>37) Contra
>38) Zanaz
>39) Command o
>40) Burger time
>41)3-d wold runner
>
>
>SNES Games:
>
>
>1)Pac Man 2
>2)Ballz
>3)Scooby-Doo Mystery
>4)Pitfall- They mayan adventure
>5)F-zero
>6)Madden 98
>7)Super Star Wars
>8)Shaq- Fu
>9)Arcades Greatest Hits
>10)HyperZone
>11)The Jungle Book
>12)Wrestlemania
>13)College Slam
>14)Super Mario World
>15)Super Godzilla
>16)Mortal Kombat
>17)Mortal Kombat II
>18) Cliff Hanger
>
>Sega Games:
>
>1)Sonic the Hedgehog (in box)
>2)Sonic the hedgehog
>3)Sonic the Hedgehog 2
>4)Mortal Kombat III (in box)
>
>Sega CD Games:
>
>1)Ground Zero (in case)
>2)Vay (in case)
>3)Mad Dog McCree (in case)
>4)Star Wars Rebel Assult (in case)
>5)NHL '94 (in case)
>6) Dark Wizard (in case)
>7)Sewer Shark (in case)
>8) Lethal Inforcers (in case)

This person asks of me to make an offer and to be realistic. What should I offer, or better yet, how can I get all of this stuff for the lowest price possible?

[quote name='doctordoom1974']I just got an e-mail offer from someone on Craigslist. He is selling the following:

>NES Games:
>
>1)Super Mario Brothers
>2) Tecmo Super Bowl
>3)Star Voyager
>4)Slalom
>5)Round Ball
>6)Mario Duck Hunt
>7)Skate or Die
>8)Shockwave
>9)Rush N' Attack
>10) Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball
>11)Tecmo Bowl
>12)Junior Jeopardy Jr.
>13)Tiny Toon Adventure
>14)R.B.I. Baseball
>15)Bases loaded
>16)Football
>17)Iron Tank
>18)Kings of the Beach
>19)Fighting Golf
>20)Bases Loaded 3
>21)Milon's Secret Castle
>22)Super Mario Brothers/ Duck Hunt
>23)Ice Hockey
>24)Hogan's Alley
>25)Harlem Globetrotters
>26)Graduis
>27)Golf
>28)Tecmo World Wrestling
>29)World Class Trackmeet
>30) Winter Games
>31)Win, Lose, or Draw
>32)Trojan
>33)Tiger-Heli
>34)Baseball
>35)Double Dribble
>36)Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum
>37) Contra
>38) Zanaz
>39) Command o
>40) Burger time
>41)3-d wold runner
>
>
>SNES Games:
>
>
>1)Pac Man 2
>2)Ballz
>3)Scooby-Doo Mystery
>4)Pitfall- They mayan adventure
>5)F-zero
>6)Madden 98
>7)Super Star Wars
>8)Shaq- Fu
>9)Arcades Greatest Hits
>10)HyperZone
>11)The Jungle Book
>12)Wrestlemania
>13)College Slam
>14)Super Mario World
>15)Super Godzilla
>16)Mortal Kombat
>17)Mortal Kombat II
>18) Cliff Hanger
>
>Sega Games:
>
>1)Sonic the Hedgehog (in box)
>2)Sonic the hedgehog
>3)Sonic the Hedgehog 2
>4)Mortal Kombat III (in box)
>
>Sega CD Games:
>
>1)Ground Zero (in case)
>2)Vay (in case)
>3)Mad Dog McCree (in case)
>4)Star Wars Rebel Assult (in case)
>5)NHL '94 (in case)
>6) Dark Wizard (in case)
>7)Sewer Shark (in case)
>8) Lethal Inforcers (in case)

This person asks of me to make an offer and to be realistic. What should I offer, or better yet, how can I get all of this stuff for the lowest price possible?[/QUOTE]

$10 for Vay, $5 for Super Star Wars, and $20 for everything else...I think $35 would be good if you're looking for cheap games or to make some money.

Alot of Sports games and crap on that list. After a quick glance, I would say make an offer you feel comfortable with. I would offer around $45 cash.

On a side note, how do you enter a complete quote with the original poster and post?

[quote name='soccerstud652']Alot of Sports games and crap on that list. After a quick glance, I would say make an offer you feel comfortable with. I would offer around $45 cash.

On a side note, how do you enter a complete quote with the original poster and post?[/quote]

you mean, like this? click on Quote below the post you're wanting to reply to, then simply type your response after "[/quote]".

[quote name='toldawg128']I agree. I'd say offer 40.[/quote]

Do you think I could successfully haggle? Is it possible for the seller to knock off a few dollars if the games don't have their manuals and/or boxes?

i'd actually say that $40 for 81 games is really pushing it. we're talking WAY less than a dollar a game? it happens, but on Craigslist? not as often.

try that $40, but don't be surprised when he fires back with a less-than-favorable (and possibly profanity-laden) response. if he sees your $40, and raises you a "how dare you!", come back with $50, and tell him you're factoring in that a lot of the games are incomplete, and therefore not worth as much. even $60 isn't horrible. there's a lot of good titles in there.

bread's done
Back