Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

I second the fisher price toys, I sold all of mine from the 80s a couple years ago on ebay and considering they have been through like 3 generations of children including my parents, me and my young cousins they looked VERY good. We got a ton of use out of those toys and then we got money back for them in the end on ebay! However only certain things are worth money, and in good condition, the typical worn out stuff you find at yard sales will only net you .99 and shipping costs on ebay.

I also did well selling a tuff stuff shopping cart (orange and yellow), I got almost 50$ for it, shipping it was a pain but the item was worth a decent amount so I put up with it. I am sure my mom only paid 10$ for it when I was a kid.

Some of the VHS tapes are rare, I also agree with you there. I collect old VHS tapes because face it you can get them for 25 cents at most sales around here, and there is always something I want. I collect old nickelodeon tapes when I can find them, some of them go for a lot of money depending on what you get. The problem with this is its hard to value something you found, like I found a VHS of The Litt'l Bits (Volume 3) at the SA for 1$ its nearly new and includes the coloring book however I can't seem to get a value on it from anywhere and Amazon doesn't have it listed in the product catalog. Also, I have a feeling that people are completely overvaluing stuff on Amazon when it comes to VHS.

Another thing you can pick up for cheap at yard sales is children's bedding, it sells well on ebay, just make sure it has some outdated character on it that is not being sold in retail stores anymore.

[quote name='Trikip']Song of the South is rare? Seriously? My old music teacher in elementary school had it.[/quote]
Ya, Disney basically ignores the fact it exists because of how a black man is portayed in the movie

my parents have that on VHS. they were collecting them from yard sales some years ago when the tapes were valuable. once DVD hit, that sorta bust, but they still have a bunch of those silly cassettes kicking around.

i think i was too old when i finally caught Song of the South. snooze-fest.

[quote name='allyourblood']my parents have that on VHS. they were collecting them from yard sales some years ago when the tapes were valuable. once DVD hit, that sorta bust, but they still have a bunch of those silly cassettes kicking around.

i think i was too old when i finally caught Song of the South. snooze-fest.[/quote]

It's just good ol' "all in good fun" racism, a total trip. I didn't think Disney actually released it on DVD, or at least HEAVILY edited it. I thought the only DVD copies were bootlegs.

It's definitely a movie everyone should check out, and understand that it was a different time and place when it came out. Same with Birth of a Nation.

[quote name='karkyco']It's just good ol' "all in good fun" racism, a total trip. I didn't think Disney actually released it on DVD, or at least HEAVILY edited it. I thought the only DVD copies were bootlegs.

It's definitely a movie everyone should check out, and understand that it was a different time and place when it came out. Same with Birth of a Nation.[/quote]

oh, i didn't mean to imply that SotS was released on DVD. i just meant that when Disney films in general made the move to DVD, the VHS values plummeted and folks were no longer very intent on collecting them.

ICO Complete - $5

Only went to 5 sales in town today got ICO at the first sale I went to which I got to at 8 or just before, I went to this sale first as it advertised PS2 & Xbox games in the ad. When I got to the sale 3 people were already looking though the games 2 of which I've seen around before including the guy that just beat me to an N64 bundle a few weeks ago. They had a ton of PS2/Xbox games probably about 100 with about 2/3 being PS2 & 1/3 being Xbox, easily the biggest lot of PS2/Xbox games I've ever seen at one yardsale around here. Looking over the games I saw some good ones but nothing really worth anything or that I didn't have and the only one I picked out was ICO. It's a safe bet that I didn't miss any gems (something like Marvel vs Capcom 2 for example) I saw one guy had about 4 games to which I saw he had Brothers In Arms or a similar game on top and the guy that beat me to the N64 bundle recently was on his phone asking somebody what games they were interseted in, he had 4 games he picked out all Xbox racing stuff like Project Gotham Racing. I went up and paid without trying to haggle as I was more concerned with getting to the next sale before the competition then trying to shave off a few bucks on a PS2 game that was still a good deal at $5 even at a yardsale.

Game Gear System
X-Men (Game Gear) - not pictured as it's in the system
NES Advantage
NES Zapper
SNES 1st Party Controller
N64 Transfer Pack
Xbox 360 Wire Controller
Super Mario Kart DS (Which was in the case for Bust-A-Move DS)
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (Missing the disc for Vice City)

$2

Found this at the second sale I went to. All of it was in a box on the ground that was labeled "Nintendo accessories $2" The Grand Theft Auto probably should have been in a box right by this one that had a few other Xbox games in it. They let me have the Grand Theft Auto with the box lot since it was missing a disc. I didn't even take notice to the 360 controller until I was leaving the sale and the DS game was under the advantage which I didn't even notice till I got home. Odd lot with old stuff and new stuff added in that was out of place and still holds some decent value but these people knew little to nothing about games as when I asked about video games the lady said she thinks they threw out some games as they didn't know what they were and she though they were GameBoy games thinking back about it when I asked about video games.

hey, good scores there, FOnewearl. i've been waiting patiently to trip across Ico at a yard sale myself. i'm sure it's gonna happen... just a matter of time.

Well its was a long day garage saleing woke up at 7:30 got to some sales at eight first three were duds until we found one with 5NES maybe more and a complete NES two controllers and i CIFed her with two dollars then the next sale we went I got another four or so NES games for 4 bucks with an NES no chords (had some at home)

Then drove 15 miles to this pawn shops to find my surprise chrono trigger SNES 3 bucks.......

Then one more sale I stopped at on my way back I picked up Mario Kart 64 for 3 bucks

Pic.......

garagesaleav7.jpg

Games picked up

Super Mario Two
Mario Duck Hunt x2
Mario Kart 64
Chrono Trigger
Ninja Turtles 1 x2 ,2,3
Kirbys Adventure
Zelda
Gumshoe
Rush'n Attack
Heli whatever gave that to friend
Spy Hunter
Kung Fu
Baseball
Ninja Gaiden
Dr Mario

Total Spent 11$$

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='allyourblood']oh, i didn't mean to imply that SotS was released on DVD. i just meant that when Disney films in general made the move to DVD, the VHS values plummeted and folks were no longer very intent on collecting them.[/quote]

Ah! Yes, very true. I wouldn't mind getting an uncut/uncensored copy on DVD (from Disney, not a bootleg), because it is very interesting to step back and see these works, to get an idea of the times.

So much has become politically incorrect, a lot of it rightfully, some not so much. But these sorts of things are always interesting from a historical and sociological perspective.

[quote name='omg itz adam']Well its was a long day garage saleing woke up at 7:30 got to some sales at eight first three were duds until we found one with 5NES maybe more and a complete NES two controllers and i CIFed her with two dollars then the next sale we went I got another four or so NES games for 4 bucks with an NES no chords (had some at home)

Then drove 15 miles to this pawn shops to find my surprise chrono trigger SNES 3 bucks.......

Then one more sale I stopped at on my way back I picked up Mario Kart 64 for 3 bucks

Pic.......

garagesaleav7.jpg

Games picked up

Super Mario Two
Mario Duck Hunt x2
Mario Kart 64
Chrono Trigger
Ninja Turtles 1 x2 ,2,3
Kirbys Adventure
Zelda
Gumshoe
Rush'n Attack
Heli whatever gave that to friend
Spy Hunter
Kung Fu
Baseball
Ninja Gaiden
Dr Mario

Total Spent 11$$[/quote]

So far the best find of the week award gos to you!! GRATZ!!

Went to an sale that advertised PS1 games, and they were already gone. However, I did manage to pick up a sealed copy of Windows 2000 Professional for a whopping $3.

This sucker is going to ebay.

windows_02_small.jpg

UPDATE:

Went out again this morning, albeit raining like crazy. Spent another $1.35 on a purple Gamebody Advance w/ 2 games, an electronic dartboard, and another Windows 2000 disk. This one is OEM and says it's a preinstallation kit. Anybody know if this is a full version or not?

I passed on several $5/ps2 games and a $7 SNES console that was missing a controller. I was short on cash and wanted to save my $$ in case I found something I really wanted.

Picked up a SNES w/ one controller, and video cables, no power cord, and 16 of the junkiest decent Nintendo games. Pretty bad shape, stickers ripped and contact points on games are FILTHY. Who knows if they will work or not. Figured I will at least break even off of the SNES. Took a flier.

Zelda Ocarina of Time & Master Quest (GC)-Case is in horrible shape, but disc is decent
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)-Chip pressed up into cart
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)-Something broken in case
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)-Torn Label
Yoshi's Safari (SNES)-Torn Label
Zelda A Link to the Past (SNES)-Torn Label
Mario is Missing (SNES)-Decent
Super Metroid (SNES)-Dinged up Label
Super Metroid (SNES)-Best of the Bunch
Super Smash Bros (N64)-Mangled Label
Mario Party 3 (N64)-Ink Pen on Front, Torn Back
Paper Mario (N64)-Dirty Label
Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)-Faded Label
Didy Kong Racing-Torn and Faded Label
Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)-Faded
Zelda Majora's Mask (N64)-Decent
$30

I am going to have to thoroughly clean the contacts, they all look pretty corroded. Waiting to get my screwdriver tool so I can break into them to do some hard core scrubbing.

Good luck to all this weekend!

That's a sick bundle of games though. Too bad they're so banged up. But a bit of cleaning should hopefully spruce it up to a more sellable condition.

A week or two ago I got a snes and genesis console with a couple games like super mario and sonic (the regular, not the "not for resale") for $7. I got a snes game genie and cartridge cleaner which was kind of cool. I was there at the start which was 6:30 and a young guy was already there picking up a bunch of snes games. I ended up getting all the manuals and if he got what there were manuals for, it looked like he picked up the first two Donkey Kong games. He also had an N64 which I tried to get in the deal. Even after explaining how cheap N64s go at garage sales, he said he could ebay it for a lot more so I didn't even bother. I already have one and just wanted to resell. I tested all the stuff and it works fine.

At another sale that day, I asked if they had any video games and a guy got some of his old xbox games. I just picked out what I actually wanted which was halo2, star wars republic commander (like new, barely played), and mortal kombat deadly alliance. None have too great of resale value except maybe star wars, but I got them all for $5 which he quickly accepted. I have halo 3 but I will play the halo 2 campaign before getting into the halo 3 campaign to go through the whole story. (I beat the first one). Too bad MK DA doesn't work on my 360 which is all I have. ($140 with games, hookups, and 2 controllers on craigslist for the xbox 360)

As far as recently, it seems the yard sales are dwindling down here. I guess it's quality over quantity though. I went to about five sales today and only one had anything worthwhile. Luckily for me, it was a PS2 system and some PS1 and PS2 games. I only had twenties on me but I found Final Fantasy VII Greatest Hits version, Parasite Eve (didn't know if it was worth anything, but I figured it was better than the other stuff), and I got the system with a memory card and controller plus all hook ups (only missing a back plate) for $20 CIF. I know they've gone cheaper at yard sales, but I could only CIF what I had and the guy was younger which worried me. He happily accepted and I double checked to make sure the system worked and had everything. I kinda wished I would have offered 15 or something because he probably would have taken it, but I'm happy. I don't have a PS2 and 20 for the working system is hard to beat elsewhere not to mention a great game.

I just tested all of it and it all works. Both games are complete with cases and manuals. They are a little scratched but seem to work ok.

gamelot2weeks.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']I second the fisher price toys, I sold all of mine from the 80s a couple years ago on ebay and considering they have been through like 3 generations of children including my parents, me and my young cousins they looked VERY good. We got a ton of use out of those toys and then we got money back for them in the end on ebay! However only certain things are worth money, and in good condition, the typical worn out stuff you find at yard sales will only net you .99 and shipping costs on ebay.

Another thing you can pick up for cheap at yard sales is children's bedding, it sells well on ebay, just make sure it has some outdated character on it that is not being sold in retail stores anymore.[/quote]

I think I still have a Fisher Price parking garage or something around here from when I was a kid. I used to coast my Matchbox cars down the ramp(and also see how many I'd have to cram into it to lock up the working elevator for the cars). That is, unless my family gave it(like they gave my tabletop Pac-Man and Mario's Cement Factory mini arcade machines)away to the assclown who shoddily built our house for his lil brats.

I think I also have my old Transformers sheets lying around here someplace too. They're REALLY old school(Generation 1).

dsc04745zy8.jpg

Cruisn' World
Duke Nukem 64
Total: $5

Body Harvest
Wipeout 64
Kameo: Elements of Power
Total: $10

Excitebike
Sonic Spinball
Vectorman
Total: $2

Slept through my alarm today and was a little worried I'd miss everything, but I didn't. Because it was all overpriced. N64 and games for $50, fat PS2 with a Madden game for $100, SNES and N64 games at $10 per cart... Oy. Grabbed the first two N64 games from a guy who had a ton of things, but wanted some pretty high prices. $25 for a Master System, $75 for a SNES and games, et cetera. Talked him down from $20 total on Cruisn' and Duke. Not great games, but they were the only ones I didn't have already.

Second two N64 games and Kameo came from the sale with the $100 PS2, I managed to talk her down from $10 for each N64 game after a while, and Kameo was bought as marked. The disc is pretty dirty, but doesn't look scratched at all. Just lots of fingerprints.

The last 3 games came from the only sale with decent prices, $1 per game. Which is a little high, but most of it was Genesis stuff complete in box, just nothing too interesting.

Genesis + cords + 2 controllers (one first party, one 3rd party. 1st party one is broken) +Virtua Racing cart only + NES cords

IAP $5, CIF $2, and she said 3, which I agreed to. Already dumped everything to a used game store and bought a disc only FFVII to ebay for $10 extra.

My Neighbor Totoro VHS in big white box
IAP $2, CIF $1 and it was accepted.

Totoro is a good movie, even though I already have the DVD from pepsistuff abuse, and I'm curious if its worth anything.

Primus - Tales From The Punch Bowl - $1 (IAP)

Kingdom Hearts (GH) (Complete)
Jak II (Complete)
Rayman 2 Revolution (Complete) (PS2)
Ninja Gaiden (Missing The Manual) (Xbox)

$15

I went back to the sale I got ICO at yesterday. I figured I'd stop by at noon today to see what they still had since I knew they were going to have a ton of stuff left and though they might even mark it down if they were serious about getting rid of all/most of it. They still were asking $5 each and I could tell that they weren't going to budge much from that price per a game if at all. I asked what's the best they would do to which the guy asked how many I was interested in, $20 for 5 I ended up grabbing four and offering $15. Not as cheap as PS2 games are sometimes at a yardsale but I figured I'd go back and grab a few since I'll probably never see this many PS2 games at a yardsale again, I was hoping they'd do $3 a game if not better and would have grabbed Dynasty Warrirors 3 also.

It looked as if they only sold about 20% (maybe up to 25%) of the games that they had when they started yesterday. I even counted the games today when I stopped by at noon and my guesstimate on how many games they had was off. I counted just over 100 PS2 games still left and just over 40 Xbox games so I'm guessing they had fairly close to 200 PS2/Xbox games for sale when they started!

A quick question about genesis:
The one I bought at a yard sale and my friend's both say HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS on the circular part around the place where you put the carts in. Mine doesn't. Is it a different model or did the text on mine just rub off?

Great deals at the garage sales. First up is the best:

Pikmin (Gcube)
Smash Bros Melee (Gcube)
Spider-Man: Ultimate Carnage (SNES)
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Kid Icarus (GB)
The Amazing Spider-Man (GB)
Pokemon Gold (GB)
Super Mario Land (GB)
The Flash (GB)
Wario Land (GB)
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
Batman: The Animated Series (GB)
Batman: Return Of THe Joker (GB)
Final Fantasy Legend 2 (GB)
Final Fantasy Legend 3 (GB)
Mega Man III (GB)
10 assorted CIB intellivision games

All for $16. Pikmin and Smash alone will double the price I payed, I'm keeping most of the rest. Some friends that were with me got Metroid II for $0.50 and both Kingdom Hearts games for $6. I really wish I had grabbed more though. That sale was a goldmine. The rest of my finds were rather typical:

Anticipation (NES)
Gotcha! The Sport! (NES)
CIB Star Strike (2600)
TOTAL: $1

CIB Crusi'n Velocity (GBA)
Sealed Ozzy & Drix (GBA)
TOTAL: $1.50

Two Sealed NES "Super Controller" Dongles. Basically a set of two joysticks for your NES pad.
TOTAL: $1

Nintendo 64 system with super mario 64 today for 5$. I am very happy as I have been looking for Super Mario 64 forever and did not want to pay ebay prices for it. Its just the standard black system with gray controller and it also came with a very nice memory card that has a slot to replace the battery inside of it. The controller is in good condition too and doesn't have the loose joystick. It was missing the expansion pack but luckily I have an unused jumper pack here which I will stick into it. I also got some DS game cases and a GBA wireless adapter for 50 cents. Also a PSX game called ball breakers for 25 cents, its complete.

The fisher price parking garage was one of the items I sold on ebay, so if you still have it, you should sell it too. I got like 20$ for it and it wasn't even in the greatest condition. I also used to coast hot wheels cars down it, it was really good for that.

I had pound puppies sheets and little mermaid sheets as a kid however they were so worn that I don't think anyone would have wanted them. I think those were the only 2 characters I had. The pound puppy sheets were used for blankets, beach towels etc so they were really really worn. I still have the pillowcase that goes to the little mermaid set. I think I still have a pound puppies blanket laying around here somewhere but believe me the condition is very bad, I think we used it to lay stuff on for sale at our last yard sale.

[quote name='omg itz adam']Thats a pretty good deal man you can flip FF7and get your money back and then some[/quote]

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I always hear about finding FF7s and this was the first time I've seen one at a garage sale, but I've only been going for a few weeks. Even though consoles always catch my eye, high demand games are the best for resale with higher prices and the lowest/easiest shipping.

Now I just have to play through it and beat it before I can actually get rid of it.

Today I found Smash Bros for Gamecube and Red Steel for Wii. 10 dollars for both. Person wanted 5 dollars per game so I took it. Had a copy of Call of Duty 4 too, but when I looked under it was mint except for a big deep circle scratch all around it. I'm gonna guess thats the big scratch that happens when you move a 360 with a game in it. Guy seemed very surprised that it was there. Other games look very good.

Aside from that very tough day. Out of 5 yard sales I went to only 1 had these games and I had to ask and they went inside and dug em out out of a closet. One other place said they had games but they were sold right before I got there.

I'm a little pissed about the number of non-yard sales from places that said they were having them on craigslist. The few times I've gone out on Sat morning theres usually a few of these but there was 7 today that I went by with nothing there, and this is at 9:10 - 10:30 am this morning.

Seems like I wasted a lot of gas, but oh well. I'm gonna try and email the people from the yardsale and tell them if they find some other games to email me.

I'm not gonna bother with a picture of the 2 games, you all know what they look like. Not exciting enough.

[quote name='darkslime']I'm gonna try putting up a sign in my neighborhood saying I want to buy old video games and see if anyone calls.[/quote]

You'd probably get some crap offers, but good luck with that. Reverse YSing...them coming to you?

Today I got:

Dreamcast, 2 controller, gun, and browser for $20
Metal Gear Solid: VR missions for $1
Bunch of Disney Golden Books $1 each
2004 Halloween edition stuffed Mickey $1
Davey Crocket stuffed Mickey $1
Peaches $8 for basket

And tomorrow I continue yard selline

[quote name='darkslime']I'm gonna try putting up a sign in my neighborhood saying I want to buy old video games and see if anyone calls.[/quote]

I see signs for people wanting to buy junk cars and what not. I'd love to hear if this could actually work. Too bad I live in an apartment.

[quote name='Dokstarr']

I'm a little pissed about the number of non-yard sales from places that said they were having them on craigslist. The few times I've gone out on Sat morning theres usually a few of these but there was 7 today that I went by with nothing there, and this is at 9:10 - 10:30 am this morning.

[/QUOTE]

This happens to me a lot too, and these are listed in the paper where they pay for the ad, I am not sure if they just misprint the address or the people just don't put anything out and cancel the sale. I have drove by a ton of supposed yard sales with no sign of any merchandise anywhere.

I didn't get a chance to post last weeks finds so I am going to recap my last 2 weeks on here. Here it goes:

This was nothing to special. I pulled up to this sale way out and they were selling PS2 games for $1 each and DVDs for $2 each. I picked up the following goods:

Tomb Raider (PS2)
Tiger Woods 07 (PS2)
Pirate of the Carribean 3 (DVD)

I CIF'ed $2 and left with goods.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2748717018/

While on the way home from yard sailing I stopped across 1 more sale. While there I asked if they had any games since none were out. They said they did and I was handed a handful of NES games after a couple minutes. I was handed:

Mickey Mousecapade
Adventures of Lolo
SMB/DH (x2)
Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
TMNT
Tetris
The Chessmaster

I tried to CIF $2 but we settled on $3 so wasn't to bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2747881861/

Not a bad score here. I managed to pick up the 1st season of Spongebob Squarepants for $3. Good Enough

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2748713434/

The was the last sale I went to today. I ended up stopping even though I was tired and ready to take a nap at home. While there I initially spotted an NES. It had a $5 tag on it so I CIF'ed $3 and got with it:

NES (Complete w/ 2 controllers)
Robocop 2
SMB/DH

$3 NES? Yeah, I'll take it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2747878113/

This was the first sale I went to today. I managed to find nice items. I ended up seeing a table with N64 games marked $3 each and GBA games marked $2 each. I grabbed 3 N64 I didn't have and all 3 of the GBA games on the table. I picked up:

Aidyn Chronicles (N64)
Resident Evil 2 (N64)
Mace: The Dark Age (N64)
Pokemon Ruby (GBA + Manual)
Pokemon Sapphire (GBA)
D&D Eye of the Beholder (GBA)

I CIF'ed a $10 for all of it since I just came from the ATM and it was taken quickly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2748707774/

This was by far one of my better scores in a while. I pulled up to this sale that was supposed to start around 6 AM but was started late and thank god... I started looking around and noticed thatthere was a playstation with no games. upon inquring about games, I was told there were no playstation games but that some nintendo games were there. I went back to the garage with the guy running the sale and he started handing me SNES games in the box. 7 in total. I asked how much for each game and I was told that they were $2 each. The games I was holding were:

7th Saga
Robotrek
Lufia 1
Lufia 2
FF: Mystic Quest
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Breath of Fire

All of these in the box with what I would give an 8/10 rating on condition of the boxes. I CIF'ed him $10 and I left quickly before he might have realized what he sold. Awesome addition to the collection indeed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2747876187/

We had a Yard Crawl where I live and I managed to get a couple of games;
Picture267.jpg

All for $3
+NES with all cables (haven't tested yet)
+Joystick
+Dragon Warrior WITH explorerers handbook, map & instruction book (no box)
+The Legend of Kage
+Guerllia War
+Rescue Rangers (edit: Sorry, I bought it somewhere else for $3)
+Guerrilla War
+R.C. Pro-AM
+Goal
+Double Dragon
+Super Mario/Duck Hunt (x2)

Picture266-1.jpg

+Kirby's Avalanche-$9
+Top Shop: Board Game (sealed)-$1
+Pokemon puzzle league-$5
+Grabbed by Ghoulies (sealed)-$2
+NES cartiage converter-free

Nice going everyone, The local mystery man hit again this week and grabbed up games from almost every sale, I went to my usual competition's place after i got done sailing and he had the same luck i did. We think a major reseller must have moved into the area.

[quote name='antman157']Yea, to find an original copy is pretty hard to find .. In box .. Anyone can copy the VHS tape.. But to have an original is hard to find.. Im a SUPER HUGE Disney fan and the price for the original VHS in box is around $50 bucks[/quote]

As far as I know, Song of the South was NEVER released in America on VHS.

Most of the VHSes on eBay are copied/dubbed from the PAL release, as there was a VHS release in Europe (incompatible with NTSC players).

I could be wrong, and if so, please provide sources, but I research this stuff constantly.

It was also released in Japan on laserdisc (under the title Minami no Uta), which is the "best quality" commercially available.

And as others have written above, the odds of Disney ever releasing this movie again are basically nil.

[quote name='cranguy']
img_5078-300x225.jpg

A $5 copy of FFVII turned a mediocre yard saling day into a great one!

Prices and larger pic on http://www.gamehoarders.com[/quote]

Nice, I just got my first copy of FF7 only mines the greatest hits. It's great the way one good find can make your whole day.

To all those out there finding old NESes out there on your yard sale trips, I want to recommend a seller on EBay for 72 pin replacements. If it is bad form to post this here let me know and I will edit it. The seller is videogamesupply and he/she has a storefront. I bought 6 replacements w/ combined shipping for aproximately $55. I have installed 3 so far and it brought each one back from the dead. Not trying to be a shill or spammer just want to recognize a good seller. I have about 6 or 7 more to fix now.

[quote name='willc23'] I bought 6 replacements w/ combined shipping for aproximately $55. [/quote]

ouch. the black plastic piece with all the pins right? a couple years ago, there was a guy here who was selling them at the flea market for a dollar apiece. i bought two (he was pressuring us to buy them 20 at a time, and lowering the price to fifty cents each), thinking that for that price, they must not be that hard to find or profitable. guess i missed the boat there.

i used one to repair one of my NES systems, but the thing still seems kinda fidgety, so i haven't even bothered with the second. i should've just bought every one the guy had and gave them away on here. if i see him again, that's what i'll do.

[quote name='darkslime']A quick question about genesis:
The one I bought at a yard sale and my friend's both say HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS on the circular part around the place where you put the carts in. Mine doesn't. Is it a different model or did the text on mine just rub off?[/quote]

There were at least 3 different models of Genesis, so yeah it's possible. Mine says it, and mine is pretty much a launch/first generation one.

They were probably poor quality connectors, most ebay sellers stand by their connectors and if they don't work they will send you a free replacement. Last time I bought a connector it was about 6$ shipped I think.

[quote name='SaraAB']They were probably poor quality connectors, most ebay sellers stand by their connectors and if they don't work they will send you a free replacement. Last time I bought a connector it was about 6$ shipped I think.[/quote]

well, i considered that but i'd be curious to know whether there was that much of a market for replacements -- profitable enough for there to be competing manufacturers, and further still, some make high-quality replacements while others make inferior ones?

like you said, sellers will often send you a free replacement if the first doesn't work. that makes it sound like they're assuming a decent portion of them are expected to fail, which would make the overall quality sort of "hit or miss". if they can afford to ship one out for six bucks, still make money and not bat an eye if the thing needs to be replaced, it's likely the same product that i bought for a buck.

[quote name='allyourblood']well, i considered that but i'd be curious to know whether there was that much of a market for replacements -- profitable enough for there to be competing manufacturers, and further still, some make high-quality replacements while others make inferior ones?

like you said, sellers will often send you a free replacement if the first doesn't work. that makes it sound like they're assuming a decent portion of them are expected to fail, which would make the overall quality sort of "hit or miss". if they can afford to ship one out for six bucks, still make money and not bat an eye if the thing needs to be replaced, it's likely the same product that i bought for a buck.[/quote]
There are different quality connectors.
And if you know that most of a product will work perfect, you would say that you can get a replacement if it doesn't work.

Just got back from a townwide sale that was seriously populated with a lot of rednecks. Disturbingly so. Games were pretty sparse (saw Nascar 98 through 2001 for PS1 marked at $15 for all 4. Yikes). Did come across a few sweet things, though.

Buzz Lightyear wall clock -.50
Stool for drumming (Been looking for a cheap one for playing RB) - $3
Kiss album Destroyer (has Detroit Rock City, Shout It Out Loud, Beth among others) - $2
3 frisbees - .35

After striking out in games for a while, I hit a sale that had a few games, but the only good one was RE4 for PS2 and it was a greatest hits copy for $5. I didn't bite, but I did get the God of War stratgey guide (minus the DVD) for $2. Next sale I hit, got Rise and Fall of ECW DVD for $4.50, which I've also been trying to find for less than $10 and finally did. Final sale of the day I found a GREAT surround sound system, brand new and working, for $20. I put $5 down and am going back to get it tomorrow. I was quite happy, considering how the day started.

Total spent (including the $15 I haven't yet paid for the surround sound system) - $32.35

[quote name='Dr. Ghost']i got super mario rpg at a yard sale for $2.
not bad, huh?[/quote] Great find. I'm meeting someone on CL in like an hour to sell one for 60.

I am doing 2 days of yard sales this weekend, so for day 1 it was rather dry however I did pick up a disc only resident evil 3 nemesis for the PSX for 1$. They had 3$ on it but I got them down to 1$ cause it was really scratched. They had other PS2 games however I don't have a PS2 and there were no other recognizable rare titles there. I also got a pokemon backpack and the usual load of toys for 3$.

Today was awsome!! I got off work a hour early and went GSing, I found a sale with about 40 various games, the lady was asking $2.50 a game but when i asked how much for it all she said $20!! I'll get a full story and Pics up tomorrow.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Today was awsome!! I got off work a hour early and went GSing, I found a sale with about 40 various games, the lady was asking $2.50 a game but when i asked how much for it all she said $20!! I'll get a full story and Pics up tomorrow.[/quote]

Very nice!!! I'm salivating on the details. And the Mario RPG for $2 score - outstanding!!!

good luck everyone with the yard sales this weekend.

Its raining here now, but even if it stops tonight I'm not sure if I will bother going out. Last weekend it rained friday afternoon / evening and half the yard sales were no shows Sat monring even though it was like 80 degree and sunny. I may just save the gas.

bread's done
Back