Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='SaraAB']Well, I don't hit enough sales to spend more than $50 per weekend, so I carry about $50 sometimes a little more. There aren't 40+ sales here every weekend and you can only do so much in the limited span of time you have to yard sale before the sales start packing everything up for the day (believe me some days I am still going at 3pm-4pm and a lot of sales are still out). This would vary with the area you live in. I will spend money when the price is right though. I have gone out early and the only thing that happened is that the people weren't ready and it made them mad (I have mentioned it before, my area doesn't seem to wake up before 10-11am on Saturdays). I didn't find more stuff or better prices, since some people were not fully set up I saw less stuff than I usually see.[/QUOTE]

the problem is that someday you are going to think why the heck did i only bring $50, I admit that 90% of the time I wont spend more than $50, but there have been days when my competition is not out, or citywides where I am more than happy I had a couple hundred on me. I have never seen anyone's eyes light up like the time if CIF'd a hundred dollars at a guy, He had 2 long tables full of games from NES to 360 he had individual tags on all of them totaling almost $1000, I offered him $80 and he declined then i offered him $100 and he declined so I whipped out 5 20's, set them on the table then started to put them back in my pocket...he gave in, lol.

[quote name='smaaug']NES CIB Mint!
Skyshark CIB
Tetris CIB
Platoon CIB
Jordan V Bird CIB
Silent Service CIB
Mario
Iron Tank
Bases Loaded

Atari 2600 CIB Mint
17 games mostly CIB
$35

Sega Menacer CIB
Sega 32X CIB
$10

Dungeons and Dragons Set from 1974
$1
best find of the day.. over 100$ on ebay

Blue N64
Mario 64 not pictured
$10
Toe Jam & Earl CIB
Super Dodge Ball NES
Skate or Die 2 NES
$6
2 Game Toys
1$

Large DK Plush
Large Wario Plush
Mega Man Figure
JSR GBA
T2 Gen
$3.50

4 Final Fantasy Toys
1 Ace Combat 6 Name Girl
$7
Gameboy CIB
DK
$10
I know I know too much for a GB but I didnt have a complete one

3 Gameboys
Pile of Manuals
Many GB Cases
31 GB/GBA games
$15

Bubble Bobble
Tetris Plus
Scrabble
Millionaire
Vegas Games
Sega Classics SCD
Sherlock Holmes SCD
Rock Paintings SCD
SCD Music Samplers
$6

Set of Handheld Games
Game Toys
$2
N64 Case
Atari 5200
3 Games
$3

80s Toys
Handhelds
Mario Party 5
Chamelion Twist N64
Tom Jerry N64
Operation C GB
Mario and Luigi GBA
007 GBA
Xmen GBA
Yugioh GBA
$12

PSOne with LCD
Middle Earth Guide
Igor DS
Nancy Drew DS
Spyro DS
Mario Golf Sealed
Spiderman 3 BLU
Barbie PS1 Sealed
GH Toy
GB Toy
$14.50

GameCube
2 Controllers
2 Memory Cards
Mario Sunshine X 2
Animal Crossing with memory card
Starsky Hutch GC
Bully PS2
$19
[/QUOTE]

DUDE, dont tell me that is all from a holiday weekend!!! NICE!!

good finds there, smaaug!

i rarely run across the translucent N64s myself. about the only time they do show up, they're priced higher than i'm willing to pay.

I've found 2 colored N64. They were oddly both 5 bucks each and have no cords. Sell for a good amount on ebay though so I'm willing to pay it.

[quote name='Sinnbox']DUDE, dont tell me that is all from a holiday weekend!!! NICE!![/QUOTE]

To be fair these are finds from the last two weekends.

[quote name='darkslime']I've found 2 colored N64. They were oddly both 5 bucks each and have no cords. Sell for a good amount on ebay though so I'm willing to pay it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is my fourth different variant yard sale N64, Now I have:

Green N64 CIB
Orange N64 CIB
Pokemon N64 CIB
Blue N64 Console/Controller Only

I once saw a smoky clear one for $30 with the most beat up box I'd ever seem but I thought it was too much, now I regret not buying it.

@smaaug I wouldn't say $10 is too much for a Complete GameBoy, I paid $15 for one with a CIB Battery thing and Revenge of the Gator complete a few years ago at the flea market and it's the only time I've seen one complete over the last five years in the wild. It only looks expensive compared to some of the steal deals we've seen over the last few years in this thread which have set the bar rather high (or should I say low :D) for what is considered a can't be beat yardsale price.

Also I should mention that while it's obviously YMMV as always with prices and what you'll see at yardsales I personally do better with finding old games not selling (and even dirt cheap sometimes) in the run down parts of town as around here most people yardsaling seem to think better area = better stuff. The one run down area I was at a few weekends ago I would be the only person at most of the sales while in the nicer areas yardsales get all sorts of people showing up about an hour early (maybe even earlier!) and steady tracffic till about noon after the morning rush.

The one Housing Community just outside of town which is a really nice upper/middle class type deal will have a large community wide sale every year in May and it pulls in tons of people and was about as busy as a county fair when I went to it last year, I will usually avoid these types of community deals especially if it's one I've been to at least once and skipped it this year instead finding NES & SNES stuff in a run down area that morning including Earthbound for an IAP of a buck shortly after 8 that morning. I will probably never go back actually between all of the people that could beat me to any deals of interest to me and the fact that it'll be mostly the same houses year after year selling. This was the same area where I offered $3 for a 2600 with 2-3 games and the people were pretty much disgusted with my offered and countered with something like $10, this after mom thanked me for buying lemonade from her kid's stand lol

I personally think it's best to get out and see what you can expect on an average day in different areas around you but if it's anything like my area it'll be the people in the best & nicer middle class areas (for a lack of a better term) that could price stuff too high for a yardsale probably because they just don't understand how worthless certain old items are, especially at a yardsale in which they have 1-2 days to get rid of the stuff.

2 boring ass examples of this

1) I saw a decent sized tube TV from about the mid 90s about a month ago probably about 30 inches with a price of $80 on it! Nice suburban area this made me wonder did they really thing that's a reasonable price for a yardsale or where they just hoping to get lucky fishing for a fool. Way overpriced stereo beside this TV at this sale also which I can't remember the price of.

2) VCRs in general, I have seen them sitting around for $1-3 but I'll still see them at $10 or close to sometimes always in the nicer parts of town, I even saw one that was marked $20 this year once again in a nicer area.

With that said I always worry more about these people guessing at what old video games should be worth at their yardsale then somebody that just wants to get rid of stuff they are putting out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FOnewearl']I will usually avoid these types of community deals especially if it's one I've been to at least once and skipped it this year instead finding NES & SNES stuff in a run down area that morning including Earthboard for an IAP of a buck shortly after 8 that morning.[/QUOTE]

Earthbound? ;)

helluva score on that one, though. it would seem your experiences mirror my own when it comes to finding treasures amongst trash in the lower-income, or more run-down parts of town.

[quote name='allyourblood']Earthbound? ;)

helluva score on that one, though. it would seem your experiences mirror my own when it comes to finding treasures amongst trash in the lower-income, or more run-down parts of town.[/QUOTE]

My bad, funny typo I guess :D, I could probably be here fixing typos all day on that post :lol:

Seeing your post AYB actually reminds me of something you mentioned the other day. You said that in your area that many people in your area will go yardsaling with a decent amount of money to be ready to make a big buy if they have to. I'm sure that certain people are ready to do so in my area also (probably mostly for things like furniture be it for themselves or resale) but I've noticed that old systems with games around here tend to not sell usually if priced too high even if it's clearly a much better deal then say what you would expect to pay online.

There just isn't much of a market for old video games in my area so you really realistically shouldn't expect get nearly what say Suikoden II sells for online locally around here. The one newer shop downtown has Earthbound (cart only with label damage) for $85 and this guy actually thinking that somebody is going to come in off the street and pay that is a joke.

I though about how funny it would be to put Panzer Dragoon Saga out for sale at a yardsale for $50 considering how bad it would look but how it would be a good deal compared to what it goes for online.

[quote name='FOnewearl']... but I've noticed that old systems with games around here tend to not sell usually if priced too high even if it's clearly a much better deal then say what you would expect to pay online.[/QUOTE]

i must sheepishly admit i'm guilty of perpetuating this. sometimes (actually, more like "oftentimes") i'll ask the price of something and have the seller tell me something downright reasonable, like "$6 for Gamecube games", and i'll decide not to buy any even if there are some decent titles -- sometimes i don't even feel like haggling, so i just walk away. after you get used to certain prices, it gets hard to go back to the not-so-amazing ones.

my friend will usually catch me doing this and point out to me that i'm being extra-cheap, but i just can't help it sometimes. whether or not i have had a lot of good scores up until a given point will also dictate how much i'm willing to pay. for example, if you've got Mega Man 6 for NES and you won't go any lower than five dollars, i'm probably gonna say no if it's the first sale of the day. if, however, it's close to noon and i haven't found squat, i'll likely snap it up if for no other reason than i dislike that "going home empty-handed" feeling. (anyone else get like that?)

of course, this attitude has backfired on me on more than one occasion, and i often regret passing stuff up just because i'm being (admittedly) extra-stingy that day. it's definitely not the best strategy. in any event, i always stay friendly and polite with sellers, especially in case i end up coming back!

meh, VCR's, I think I have 3 or 4 of them sitting in my closet somewhere, nice to have one if you still watch VHS tapes, I use them as RF modulators for televisions that don't have the composite ports, you can run game systems through the VCR's yellow/white jacks

yeah same here allyourblood, there are a lot of things I really regret passing up because they were higher than I would normally pay but still a great deal. Its not good to be a cheapass sometimes.

yeoldmario, what do vcr have to do with anything? This is the yard sale thread.

[quote name='darkslime']yeah same here allyourblood, there are a lot of things I really regret passing up because they were higher than I would normally pay but still a great deal. Its not good to be a cheapass sometimes.

yeoldmario, what do vcr have to do with anything? This is the yard sale thread.[/QUOTE]

Overpriced VHS players were brought up in the conversation prior to your post

[quote name='DaMonStEr']Overpriced VHS players were brought up in the conversation prior to your post[/QUOTE]

Calm down. There's no need to get out of control.

I was just trying to fill you in. Wasn't being rude or anything. You asked what VHS players had to do with anything and I told you. If you thought that was being rude then you read it in the wrong context

i didn't think it was rude or excessive; DaMonster was just explaining YeOldmario's post, which was itself a reply to something FOnewearl said in a "spoiler":

[quote name='FOnewearl']VCRs in general, I have seen them sitting around for $1-3 but I'll still see them at $10 or close to sometimes always in the nicer parts of town, I even saw one that was marked $20 this year once again in a nicer area.[/quote]

Hey guys! I'm the CAG from I think the 2005 thread who was too young to drive at the time and used to bike to sales in my area (about a 5 mile radius was all I could manage by noon with carrying a backpack, hills, and the like)

Well obviously a lot of time has passed (i AM driving now ;)) and I figured it's about time I go back to my roots and get back on the hunt again!

Hopefully I'll be posting again Saturday afternoon with some finds.

[quote name='jakescape53']Hey guys! I'm the CAG from I think the 2005 thread who was too young to drive at the time and used to bike to sales in my area (about a 5 mile radius was all I could manage by noon with carrying a backpack, hills, and the like)

Well obviously a lot of time has passed (i AM driving now ;)) and I figured it's about time I go back to my roots and get back on the hunt again!

Hopefully I'll be posting again Saturday afternoon with some finds.[/QUOTE]
I go around with my bike and backpack too. You're my hero.

Thursday finds!

dsc05199t.jpg

Donkey Kong 64
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Pokemon Puzzle League
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue

Karaoke Revolution Country
Big Bumpin'

Grandma's Boy
Short Circuit

Total: $9

Had I gotten to this sale a minute earlier, I would have been able to grab a ton more N64 games. Unfortunately for me, someone else had finished picking through the box just as I pulled up. Luckily for me he left Mystical Ninja behind, and I guess I can't complain with the flip value on Karaoke Revolution Country. Oh well.

dsc05200ejl.jpg

Crash Bandicoot 2
Tetris Plus
Final Fantasy VIII
Mortal Kombat 4

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
Kid Chameleon

Excitebike 64
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64

Total: $10

FFVIII look weird? Yeah. For some reason, all the tray cards in the PS1 games were flipped around! I have no idea why someone would take the effort to do this, but hey, at least it was an easy fix.

This looks to be a big weekend, so hopefully I'll have good things to post tomorrow and Saturday, too.

[quote name='allyourblood']hey, Pokemon Puzzle League, rad! Tetris Attack (along with its offspring) is one of my favorite games ever. good finds![/QUOTE]
The DS version (Planet Puzzle League) is really the greatest. I can't imagine playing without a stylus anymore.

[quote name='theGrue']The DS version (Planet Puzzle League) is really the greatest. I can't imagine playing without a stylus anymore.[/QUOTE]

it's sitting not five feet from me. :D

however, given the adorable music and characters, the original is still my favorite.

[quote name='chimpster1313']castle of illusion was one of my favorite games growing up. hoooooooleeeeeeeeeee shit was that a fun game.[/QUOTE]

Me too, that game came with the Genesis that my parents bought way back in the day, I have very fond memories of playing that game.

[quote name='allyourblood']sometimes i don't even feel like haggling, so i just walk away. after you get used to certain prices, it gets hard to go back to the not-so-amazing ones.

i'll likely snap it up if for no other reason than i dislike that "going home empty-handed" feeling. (anyone else get like that?)[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean I don't feel like haggling in certain situations either and I'm sure no one here likes to come home empty handed after yardsaling, especially if they are out for a few hours :D

[quote name='darkslime']yeoldmario, what do vcr have to do with anything? This is the yard sale thread.[/QUOTE]

I brought it up as a general example of how people overprice worthless stuff, which could also be video game stuff which is worth very little even online.

A better example for this thread would have probably been a GameBoy Advance with no games for $20 I saw a little over a month ago. Big whoop dee doo your only saving out on paying tax on that compared to buying used at GameStop but these people probably didn't know any better and really though that was a reasonable price for selling it at their yardsale.

Found all of this within the first 4 houses. First time doing Yard Sales so I was thrilled.

l_d590f8f2dae84034b430f696fddff615.jpg

All 64 games were 50 cents and the season box set was a dollar. I was like hey do you have any nintendo games or video games and shes like yeah maybe...

So she brings out a TON of great stuff! The manuals I snatched for free.

l_ed304908b49045739d95d35f08708a15.jpg

8 bucks total for both the system, cords, controllers, and game. Cleaned off and works perfectly.

l_72c93bd9bdb4415e84b2750e8cf2eeff.jpg

6 bucks for the Genesis, cords, controller + Game (terrible game btw, lol) and 1 dollar for the DVD.

:D

by today's standards it's pretty rough, but back when i was a kid, NBA Jam was the best. i remember playing that on my Genesis constantly, and still playing it at the arcade, too, even though by then it was getting a little old.

[quote name='allyourblood']by today's standards it's pretty rough, but back when i was a kid, nba jam was the best. I remember playing that on my genesis constantly, and still playing it at the arcade, too, even though by then it was getting a little old.[/quote]

boom-shaka-laka!!!;)

[quote name='Buckshot']boom-shaka-laka!!!;)[/QUOTE]

I heard you couldn't stuff a brick in that game!

While Jam! may not be timeless, at its release it was by far one of the funnest mutli player games period. All the hidden characters and 2 player kept us going for months.

Today was a fairly big bust. I hit up five or six yard sales and saw one of those Atari controller/TV sets for $2 (passed) and that was it. So I walked around for like three or four miles and ended up just buying a WWF on AOL mouse pad for a quarter.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I know exactly what you mean I don't feel like haggling in certain situations either and I'm sure no one here likes to come home empty handed after yardsaling, especially if they are out for a few hours :D

[/QUOTE]

I see GBA's all the time here for $20 which is why I don't buy them, I have seen at least 10 SP's this summer for $20 or more each. Seen original GBA's for that price too. Each was extremely scratched up and didn't have a charge or a charger so the battery was probably dead. I haven't seen a Gamecube for less than 50$ with no games or memory card just controllers and adapter. I also see TV's for $10 and up but none are selling here, and I have seen none less than at least 1 TV at each house.

its tough to go back to higher prices after getting things for 25 cents to a dollar all weekend. I have basically stopped shopping in retail stores for things other than essentials like toiletries and food because yard sales have me completely spoiled. During the winter I am saving my money for yard sales so whenever I want to buy something I just remind myself it will be cheaper at a yard sale next summer. I am sure retailers love me since I have the willpower to walk out without buying any useless crap. However there are certain things I will pay for at yard sales if the condition is right and I know its worth a lot more than they are charging.

My local St. Vincents is running a $2 bag of clothes this weekend (hooray it used to be $3 not that I am complaining) so I will be there but otherwise Saturday looks like a washout. I will probably attempt yardsaling in the rain.

who's hauling it out tomorrow morning? is it better to just look for random yard sales? all the ones I'm looking at on craigslist I have no idea where they really are even after using mapquest.

SaraAB - I feel kinda nasty wearing used clothes so I'll buy them at the store.

Ye0ldmario - I am. I usually go to random sales but am using mapquest since I'm on vacation in Delaware and don't know the area very well.

I'm going to a couple tomorrow. First time since Labor Day of last year, where I had no luck. Craigslist has about 4 listed near me, I guess I'm gonna check them out.

I can't go out tomorrow . . . we're going camping.

I hit a few today . . . kinda rainy so it sucked.

But I did find Guitar Hero II 360 (in box game and guitar) it was marked $15 and an official spare guitar was next to it (in box) was marked $10. I suggested $20 for the pair with a copy of KOTOR (original game) thrown in and the guy took it.

I'm going to flip KOTOR.

This is a very cool find because I have Beatles Rock Band on order (Amazon trade-in thread) and this is a cool preview to try with my kids (7 and 10) before RB arrives. So far, they are digging GHII.

I went to a few today and there was absolutely nothing. The garage sales in my area have completely dried up. I can't even find DVD movies anymore. VHS and computer monitors well as printers is all you can find anymore. I swear I find at least one a yard sale.

I feel like going for a bike ride tomorrow, if I get up early I'm gonna scan as much of the area I can cover, I know a few miles to the east of me is where the heart of GS sales are, although its mostly the same families every week selling baby toys and old clothes.

I fixed my bikes chain, greased it up a bit, re-filled the tires with air all this morning, wanna give it a go again.

Yard sales have pretty much dried up here. Most people here just do sales when their neighborhood has one. The only thing I found yesterday was a weather radio, which I talked them down to $2.

I just went to two, and all I saw was an original XBox in box for $50. I probably could have haggled it down to $30-40, but honestly, I don't want an XBox. Just not enough games for me.

I'm gonna try another one later that I just didn't feel like biking to since it was too far away. I have some doubt, but I hope to find something good.

I went to six sales and found nothing, so I got fed up and headed over the yard sale section of the state flea market and hit the goldmine.

Picked up:
Sunset Riders (SNES) CIB - $3.00
Zombies Ate My Neighbords (SNES) CIB - $3.00
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES) CIB - $3.00
Super Valis IV (SNES) CIB - $3.00
Super Nintendo Console in Box with Super Mario World - $35.00
Tales of the Abyss Mint + Complete - $20.00
Xenosaga III - $15.00
Harvest Moon Back to Nature (PS1) - $5.00

The guy I bought the SNES + games from had a ton of CIB SNES stuff at $3.00 a piece. He's also going to bring a Turbografx 16 and a Turbo Express for me tomorrow that (hopefully) he will let go of for relatively little.

Today's Yard Sale Finds:

Small Ephiphone amp - $4

Beat up silver Gamecube with power cord, two controllers, and a 251 memory card - $1

N64 with cords, jumper pak, 2 controllers, and these games (all cart only):

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo Kazooie
Super Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Nightmare Creatures
Turok 3
NBA Live 99
Rampage 2
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Chef's Luv Shack
Armorines
Monster Truck Madness 64
Fighting Force 64
XG2
Perfect Dark
Forsaken 64
Bio Freaks
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Resident Evil 2
Turok 2
NBA Jam 99
Zelda OoT
WWF Attitude
NFL QB Club 98

Genesis Games (all cart only):
Ms. Pac Man
Sonic Classics
Pac Man 2
Tom and Jerry Frantic Antics

Pokemon Colliseum Bonus Disc (did this come with a manual?)
.hack// Infection (complete)
Legend of Dragoon (GH, missing manual)

$28 for everything I just listed starting from the N64

PS2:
Motorcross Mania 3 (complete)
Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom (GH, missing manual)
NFS Underground (complete)
IHRA Drag Racing (missing manual)
Max Payne (GH, missing manual)
Freekstyle (GH, complete)
Fantastic 4 (GH, complete)
Hitman Trilogy (all complete with a slipcover for the three games)
Ghost Recon (complete)

It was $6 for all of those PS2 games

bread's done
Back