Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='SaraAB']Its just a crappy LCD screen, nothing to worry about there. Your unit works fine other than the usual sound issues. The sound issues can be fixed by someone with soldering experience, so if you know how to solder you can either fix it yourself or find a friend that knows how to. Again sound issues with GG systems are almost always present, it would be rare to find one that does not have sound issues.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did a little research and it seems like both issues could be fixed by replacing the capacitors. I am not comfortable soldering though. Wonder if they could fix it at Play N Trade.

Went to a huge indoor sale

I saw an Atari Flashback 1 for $7, I CIF'ed $5 and they took it

I passed on $10 360 games like Madden 07

Saw season 6 on the simpsons, no outer case for $3 I should have grabbed it.

I also passed on a bunch of xbox/ps2 games that were $5 a piece, lady wouldn't budge on the price and most of them were worth 100 pts on Goozex. There was Worms 4 for xbox, Baldur's Gate for GC, UFC throwdown for GC, Evil Dead for Xbox, and Die Hard for the GC

Also passed on a $40 model 2 Genesis with Sonic 2, and Formula Racing

Had a decent day. Nothing too great. Just missed on several things as usual. I have no luck. Also my wife dragged me to where the rich people live, big mistake. Was just a waste of gas. Rich people here I guess think yard sale = garbage bin. Lots of stuff that should have been deposited directly in the trash. Once we got back to our area things picked up.

Picked up a X-Box with 2 controllers and hookups for $25 at my first yard sale. CIF $15 no go, $20, ok, then Mom says no we just opened bla bla bla. Cheapest one I have seen ever over here, and I wanted a second one so I paid $25.

IMG_2386.jpg

Picked up this DC and all the games for $10.

IMG_2387.jpg

Got the Atari and games for $15 after $35 asking price. Got Gunvalkyrie and Oblivion GOTY for $10, FF IV & IV GBA for $10, Mario Party 5 for $4, Sealed Hydlide for NES $2 (actually I should have walked away after $1 CIF failed)

IMG_2395.jpg

Super NES & hookups plus all the other games $8

Not great, not horrible, the one yardsale where I got the SNES and DC the lady told me she had about 200 games and other systems earlier in the day, but we were in the "rich" neighborhood when they opened up :(

finds072509.jpg

SNES system with: Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, DKC, Killer Instinct, SF2

Also came with Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Section Z, Wrath of the Black Manta, Dragon Warrior, Battletoads, Super Mario Land, Gargoyles, Tetris, TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan

$20

Super Mario Advance 2 - $3

Wiimote with nunchuck - $10

There was really only one neighborhood sale this weekend. I didn't get much and I ended up starting on the wrong side of the neighborhood. There was one sale on the opposite side of the neighborhood that had saturn games. There wasn't anything good by the time I got there. There was another sale that had a dreamcast and a saturn, but I passed on them since they were wanting around $40 for each. I also passed on a cheap nes, n64, ps1, and a genesis at another sale since they weren't in very good condition. I did find a nes powerpad at sale down from that one for $0.50.

I did get one good find from a sale that I'd been to before in that neighborhood.

$3 Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

It looks like it is complete and in very good condition.

Boy, I had a huge day today. Sorry for the long story, but that's how I like to write up these posts, with the play by play.

I took care of various craigslist deals (will post those in the CL finds thread but briefly detail them below) as well as a single yard sale this morning that was listed on craigslist as having "Nintendo games", which was on the way to my first craigslist deal and in a very nice neighborhood, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Lady had a bunch of complete Gamecube games and DS games, asked how much she wanted for the Gamecube games, she said she was thinking $10 each on the Gamecube and DS games, and that there's 1 Wii game left. I figured I'd CiF her $5 each for the good stuff.

Well the DS games were all crap, Brain Boost and games like that, so I cherry picked the Gamecube games I wanted (and the Wii game, which happened to be a still factory sealed Mario Galaxy), and began opening them to verify the contents.

The ones I picked up were all complete and pretty much mint, except for non-GH Pikmin 2 :)bomb:), which was missing the disc. She checked the rest at the sale, and Paper Mario Gamecube as well as Zelda Windwaker were also missing the discs. I didn't really care about those since the resell value isn't as high on those, though for $5 (or less) I'll take them when she finds the discs. The lady said she had the discs for those at her house (guess this was her friend's house and sale she was just participating in), and would check and took my number and email address. I also told her I'd be interested in any other games she had, so contact me if there was anything else she was selling gamewise outside of the sale.

Anyway, as I was cherry picking, I noticed boxed NES games and some loose carts (NES and SNES) in a box below the table with the GC/DS games. Asked how much on those, she said whatever I think. Took a look and offered $1 each, she countered with $2 each. I told her let me figure out what I want and then we'll deal. Took all the boxed/complete games, the few loose ones were crap.

So I picked out:

Mario Party 5 (complete black label, mint)
Mario Party 6 (complete black label, mint)
Mario Party 7 (complete, black label, near mint - has Gamestop Used stickers I need to Goo Gone off)
Mario Kart Double Dash (complete, black label, mint)
Super Mario Galaxy (sealed)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (complete, everything is mint)
Tennis (complete, everything mint but box is slightly worn)
Rad Racer (complete, everything mint)
Golf-Challenge Pebble Beach (complete except for styrofoam insert, mint)
Championship Bowling (complete except for styrofoam insert, mint)

Cif'd her $25, she countered at $50. I upped to $30 and told her to take it or leave it, she took it. So $5 each on the GC/Wii games and $1 each on the boxed/complete NES games, not bad.

Left the sale and went to see a guy who had advertised dirt cheap games for all sorts of systems near USC on craigslist. Dude had just graduated and was leaving the country, selling his games at firesale prices. He was going to sell the rest tomorrow at a yard sale, I cherry picked his stuff.

I'm a bit tired and want to go spend some quality time with the old lady, so I'll detail it all tomorrow or Monday. Lots of Gamestop cases, but the discs were all excellent condition from what I've seen so far. Highlights include GTA IV (X360, complete), Orange Box (X360, complete), FFVII (Greatest Hits green label, complete), Vagrant Story (complete black label), Animal Crossing DS (complete, but I think it was a pack in version of the game as it comes in a sleeve like Wii Sports, but smaller) all for roughly $3 each (he was asking $5 each on those).

Also a bunch more PS1 games including Discworld 2 (isn't this rare/valuable?) that he threw in for free. He tallied it all up based on his already low prices and wanted like $34, I offered him $23 cash (all my remaining small bills) and he said he'd do $25, I noticed he had Robot Chicken season 1 on his shelf and told him to throw it in we'd have a deal.

Finally, went to Burbank to score another original G1 Transformers mint and complete in box collection (no knockoffs, all legit and beautiful), I had been negotiating with the guy for the better part of this month, paid $500 cash for the following:

Jetfire (mint complete in near mint box)
Megatron (mint complete in near mint box)
Grimlock (mint complete in near mint box)
Snarl (mint complete in near mint box, missing insert)
Swoop (mint complete in near mint box, missing insert)
Sunstreaker (mint complete in near mint box)
Inferno (mint complete in near mint box)
Red Alert (mint complete in near mint box)
Twin Twist (mint complete in near mint box)
Venom (mint complete in near mint box)
all 6 Constructicons, mint and complete ON CARD (so you know it's not the knockoff giftset), include original plastic bubbles that were retaped. These look fan-fucking-tastic.

My real goals here were the boxed Megatron and Jetfire. Some are just icing on the cake (the constructicons set, the boxed Dinobots, Sunstreaker). Simply amazing specimens. Now, combined with my previous score, I think I am set as far as getting boxed/complete/mint ones of all major figures. I also have so many duplicates I will be selling on eBay.

I'll try and get pics of everything up tomorrow...

swap meet finds:

TI-81 graphing calculator - $3

Zelda Collector's Edition disc only
Pikmin 2 disc only

$10 for both

Sealed Final Fantasy XII PS2 memory card made by HORI, comes with a carrying case also. Its in Japanese, I've never seen one before - $1

Good lord, karkyco, thats a great haul! It makes me wish that my younger self had more control and didn't break his Jetfire.

I also bit the rubber nose part of my G1 Starscream to hell. I still have that one, albeit in pieces. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and beat myself up :cry:

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Good lord, karkyco, thats a great haul! It makes me wish that my younger self had more control and didn't break his Jetfire.

I also bit the rubber nose part of my G1 Starscream to hell. I still have that one, albeit in pieces. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and beat myself up :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah Karkyco that is an epic haul. My roomate in Houston used to have have tons of transformers, he had to sell them all due to money problems though.

I didn't have transformers as a kid, we couldn't afford them. We got Gobots instead :(

[quote name='stos289']So today was my first experience in yard sale hunting and I can describe it in one word: TIRING.

After a good amount of hours going from one sale to the next, I ended up with no games :cry:.

However, I did score Seasons 1-3 of Cheers (one of my favourite shows of all time) brand new and sealed for $15 :D. The initial asking price was $20, but I ended up using the Cash-in-Face technique and had her lower it to $15 total.

Good Stuff.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty common . . . hang in there, the more sales you go to the better your odds become. It's great if you can find things other than games to keep you going. I bought a complete Spongebob SP Monopoly game (for my kids) for $1.50 and a nice saw for $3.50 this week :)

I went back to the sale that I wrote about yesterday (they put out a few more games) and got this stuff:

0725more.jpg

I picked out the games (priced about $20) and asked if he'd throw in the Genesis (hookups and a controller) for $20 total . . . which he took.

At another sale I spotted a Gamecube:

0725cubesystem.jpg

Complete with hookups, original controller, memory card and two Madcatz (one wireless). I was going to CIF $10 when I noticed it was marked $10. So, I just paid $10.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Good lord, karkyco, thats a great haul! It makes me wish that my younger self had more control and didn't break his Jetfire.

I also bit the rubber nose part of my G1 Starscream to hell. I still have that one, albeit in pieces. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and beat myself up :cry:[/QUOTE]

LOL, I have one of my G1 Starscreams with a nubby/gnawed off tip nose cone too. But I've got another one that is just flawless mint. This Jetfire is a beauty, I mean no discoloration/yellowing, perfect sticker placement, complete including the damn gun clip that everyone loses...it even has the original styrofoam piece that sat over him to keep him in place. I have another one that is complete/near mint as well, in the styrofoam, but doesn't have the box. I'm going to try to track down an outer box for that one, then give that one to my sister/nephew.

But for the meantime, these are going with the rest of the collection into storage, until I can set up a proper display for them. I do wish I had a boxed Sideswipe to go with his twin brother, Sunstreaker. Of course all of the boxed G1 cars I really want at this point are the big $ ones like Bluestreak, Mirage, Hound, Jazz, and Sideswipe. Ah well, eventually Takara will have encores of them all, and I can always find the first set of reissues, in those awesome book like packages.

[quote name='karkyco']LOL, I have one of my G1 Starscreams with a nubby/gnawed off tip nose cone too. But I've got another one that is just flawless mint. This Jetfire is a beauty, I mean no discoloration/yellowing, perfect sticker placement, complete including the damn gun clip that everyone loses...it even has the original styrofoam piece that sat over him to keep him in place. I have another one that is complete/near mint as well, in the styrofoam, but doesn't have the box. I'm going to try to track down an outer box for that one, then give that one to my sister/nephew.
[/QUOTE]

Best thing I ever found at a yard sale was my 50% complete Jetfire for $0.25. Even though it isn't complete, it was still a steal for a quarter.

Started a new job this week, so no more Thursday and Friday sales for me! That said, this isn't a bad haul for one day :). Everything was found in the neighborhood across the street from mine, which is where I've previously found the CIB Spider-Man Web of Fire and lots of other good stuff. As usual, sales didn't disappoint.

07252009.jpg

Sega Dreamcast Carrying Bag
NES Game Case w/ the following games:
Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge
Donkey Kong Classics
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Total: $1.50

Pokemon Crystal Version
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Gameshark Advance SP
Total: $10

Ugly Mario doll: $0.50

Wireless Logitech USB Mouse w/ Zip-up pouch: $0.50

Can't argue with those NES games at that price, and the Dreamcast bag is nice to have in my collection. Found the Pokemon stuff at a sale that I'd been to the previous year. I recognized the house and all, but off to the side of their garage there was a table full of DVD cases, so I had to go take a look. Tons of PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube stuff, but nothing super interesting. Went into the garage and found a crate of Game Boy stuff, but all at pretty high prices. Who charges $40 for an SP at a garage sale? Picked out $15 of stuff and offered $10.

07252009001.jpg

Nintendo 64 w/ Hookups, Controller, Controller Pak, Transfer Pak, Expansion Pak
Banjo-Kazooie
Buck Bumble
Command & Conquer
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Elmo's Letter Adventure
Hey You, Pikachu!
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mace: The Dark Ages
Nightmare Creatures
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rampage 2: Universal Tour
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Starfox 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction
Toy Story 2
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Kingdom Hearts II
Total: $60

Yeah, it's a lot to spend, but I know I'll be able to make my money back selling what I have already. Elmo, Powerpuff Girls, and Command and Conquer were all missing from my collection. There were a bunch of other PS1 and PS2 games, but they were all pretty scratched up. Grabbed Crash and Kingdom Hearts and said I'd take the N64 if they threw them in, and of course they accepted.

They also had a bunch of Pokemon plushes, as well as big Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles figures, but they were being sold by a different family at the sale, so I couldn't throw them in to the $60 deal too. Oh well.

I hit another sale that told me to come back later in the afternoon when they'd have more things out. She specifically mentioned an Atari Jaguar, and I don't have one of those yet, so I definitely came back.

07252009002.jpg

07252009003.jpg

Pokemon Ruby Version: $5

Sonic The Hedgehog 2: $1

Atari Jaguar w/ Hookups, 2 Controllers
Checkered Flag
Club Drive
Flashback: The Quest For Identity
Hover Strike
Iron Soldier
Super Burnout
Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy
Ultra Vortek
Wolfenstein 3D

Sega Genesis w/ Controller (Broken, returned for $5 back)
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Dinosaurs For Hire
Gemfire
Genghis Khan II
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Taz in Escape From Mars
Total: $30

Not only was there a complete Jaguar and a bunch of CIB games, but a Genesis too! We agreed on $35, but I had to run to the bank for more cash. On the way back from the bank I noticed a couple other sales, went and found Pokemon Ruby and Sonic 2! Now the only GBA Pokemon game I need is LeafGreen. The kid selling Ruby also had two SPs for $10 each, but they both had really bad, jittery screens, so I passed on em.

After picking up all the Genesis and Jaguar stuff, I went home to give it a quick test and just could not get the Genesis to power up, I tried 3 different plugs and nothing. So I went back and asked for $5, bringing the package down to $30 total, which I think is still pretty good for the bundle.

Hit one sale only yesterday. This was way more than I would usually spend on a lot of games and I had some initial regrets cause it hit my wallet kind of hard but overall I scored some good common games for my collection and have more than enogh stuff to flip and make my money back and then some - TOTAL - $200

1001920q.jpg

PS1 with LCD in the case. Everything has their hookups. Cube has gameboy player and boot disc. Genesis power switch is broke but I have at least a dozen units so it's no big deal.

1001921a.jpg

I have another box of controllers and such not pictured

1001922h.jpg

1001927j.jpg

The JOJO is my second one this year and absolutely mint, almost all the disc games although a little dusty were well taken care of and are in excellnt condition

1001923g.jpg

Sega CD RAM and ST key for Saturn imports

1001924j.jpg

1001925fwk.jpg

1001926p.jpg

awesome finds ^^

I wish I could find deals like everyone is getting on here :(

I hit the flea market today and left with nothing because for some reason everyone here thinks they can sell used games at a new price... one guy was even selling Halo 3 for $100 o_O

overall very disappointing..

Eh, didn't find anything this weekend. Probably because my mom didn't get home until 1, and when we went out, half of the yard sales were gone for some reason.

Ok I went to one lone sale and got some stuff extremely cheap.

Clear brick gameboy (1989), nearly perfect, no dead lines and has battery cover
SNES fighter stick made by ASCII Ware
Pile of atari paddles
A shirt for my mom and a couple other misc items

All for 1$

It feels like I have a fighter stick for just about every console now!

Not much for video games for such a big week, 75+ sales. I did find some good computer stuff & metal CDs also which I'm mentioning while I usually only post my video games finds.

Blog for anyone interested in the non-diet version - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=9715

Populous With Dust Cover (SNES) - .50
Little Mirmaid, The (PC, GameBoy) - $1
Devil May Cry 3 (Complete, Cover Insert With Some Damage) - $3

Fighting Vipers
StarFighter
Tomb Raider

$2

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very nice big hauls from one sale this week from at least 3 CAGs

schultzed & snotknocker were these sales you scored a ton of games at advertised has having video games? and if so did you end up showing up early?

Also you probably noticed but just incase you didn't snotknocker FWIW that's a first model Saturn which is much harder to come by compared to a model 2 with round power & reset buttons.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Wait, you returned something to a yard sale?! :shock:[/QUOTE]

I did it one year too, there was a guy selling LOADS of games, well I had bought one NES game and I could not get it to work no matter what I did (I even soaked the board in alcohol for a while, it was rusted out anyways) so I took it back the next day and he let me pick another game out of the pile. I spent like $20 or $30 with this guy so it was justified. I wouldn't return something if I only spent a few cents on it.

[quote name='oscargrouch']My general though is if they say it works, and it doesn't you should try to get your money back.[/QUOTE]

exactly, if it doesn't work and they say that it did, do your best to get at least something back. I often don't even ask since I assume they probably don't know.

hit 45 sales. once again, absolutely nothing but baby toys and "HUGE YARD SALE!! OMFG!!" with nothing more than an end table with some old coffee mugs

[quote name='crows in black']hit 45 sales. once again, absolutely nothing but baby toys and "HUGE YARD SALE!! OMFG!!" with nothing more than an end table with some old coffee mugs[/QUOTE]

LOL my wife dragged me to a bunch of HUGE YARD SALES, that were well huge maybe if they were run by the smurfs.

I bought 2 "new" official Dreamcast controllers for a buck apeice. New is in quotes because 1 was clearly used albeit very gently. The other was brand spankin & both boxes were in perfect shape.

I have no need for them at the moment but at that price who could say no.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Some very nice big hauls from one sale this week from at least 3 CAGs

schultzed & snotknocker were these sales you scored a ton of games at advertised has having video games? and if so did you end up showing up early?

[/QUOTE]

Most of my finds come from unadvertised sales (least no mention of games in the ad). I think if people advertise games it increases the competition. Plus, the chances of them overpricing increases.

I was excited about a Craigslist sale where they mentioned a 3DO and a Virtual Boy . . . they were priced at over $100 each!

not as much stuff as the last few weeks, but not bad:

Virtual Boy Mario's Tennis (x6, Japanese, all complete), $5 for all

XB Halo: Combat Evolved (complete), 50¢

Sony Playstation 2 Slim (with A/V cables, no controllers, no power adapter), $5

NES Platoon
NES 1943
NES Short Order/Eggsplode!
NES Shingen the Ruler
NES Ninja Gaiden II
NES Infiltrator, $3.50 for all

Sony digital camera data/video cable, $1

GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong (complete), $2

Super Nintendo w/Asciipad (no A/V cable, no power adapter), $3

Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition Guide (Prima, EBGames cover), 50¢

NDS Alex Rider Storm Breaker (complete), $2

GB Zelda: A Link to the Past
GB Pokemon Blue Version
GBC Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, $5 for all

Sega Nomad w/battery pack (non-rechargeable)
GEN Mega Bomberman
GEN Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure
GEN Gunstar Heroes
GEN Primal Rage, $3 for all

NDS WarioWare Touched!, 50¢

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom Hint Book, $1

super-psyched about the Phantasy Star book -- i haven't seen one since i rented the game about 15 years ago, and something about it is just really cool.

i have no idea why they had six copies of Japanese Mario's Tennis at one sale. the family barely spoke English, and didn't seem to know where they came from, said they had no other games (nor a system), and haggling was a chore, but worth it. they wanted $10 for all and ended up taking half that. i already own a complete copy of this, so i think i'll throw the spares up on my tradelist, if anyone's interested. also, despite the wear to the cardboard, i'm guessing they're "new" -- a lot of Nintendo's Japanese games were not sealed at retail and the contents of each game look perfect, crisp and unused.

the slim PS2 has a crack on the face that could use a dab of super glue, but works fine. wish i had a first party power supply for it, but maybe it'll turn up eventually.

the Sony camera cable probably doesn't look like much, but it's one of my favorite finds. i bought a DSC-W120 last year for cheap but it didn't have a battery charger or power cable. i found the exact battery charger earlier this year and now i've got the cable, so the camera is complete. i just love finds like this.

lastly, the Nomad: another fave for the week. not my first Nomad, but such a good deal i'm still excited. i love that it came with Mega Bomberman (one of the best BM games, to me) and Gunstar Heroes. i hate that they're both incomplete. oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
not as much stuff as the last few weeks, but not bad:

Virtual Boy Mario's Tennis (x6, Japanese, all complete), $5 for all

XB Halo: Combat Evolved (complete), 50¢

Sony Playstation 2 Slim (w/av cables, no controllers, no power adapter), $5

NES Platoon
NES 1943
NES Short Order/Eggsplode!
NES Shingen the Ruler
NES Ninja Gaiden II
NES Infiltrator, $3.50 for all

Sony digital camera data/video cable, $1

GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong (complete), $2

Super Nintendo w/Asciipad (no a/v cable, no power adapter), $3

Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition Guide (Prima, EBGames cover), 50¢

NDS Alex Rider Storm Breaker (complete), $2

GB Zelda: A Link to the Past w/plastic case
GB Pokemon Blue Version
GBC Super Mario Bros. Deluxe w/plastic case, $5 for all

Sega Nomad w/battery pack (non-rechargeable)
GEN Mega Bomberman
GEN Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure
GEN Gunstar Heroes
GEN Primal Rage, $3 for all

NDS WarioWare Touched!, 50¢

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom Hint Book, $1

super-psyched about the Phantasy Star book -- i haven't seen one since i rented the game about 15 years ago, and something about it is just really cool.

i have no idea why they had six copies of Japanese Mario's Tennis at one sale. the family barely spoke English, and didn't seem to know where they came from, said they had no other games (nor a system), and haggling was a chore, but worth it. they wanted $10 for all and ended up taking half that. i already own a complete copy of this, so i think i'll throw the spares up on my tradelist, if anyone's interested. also, despite the wear to the cardboard, i'm guessing they're "new" -- a lot of Nintendo's Japanese games were not sealed at retail and the contents of each game look perfect, crisp and unused.

the slim PS2 has a crack on the face that could use a dab of super glue, but works fine. wish i had a first party power supply for it, but maybe it'll turn up eventually.

the Sony camera cable probably doesn't look like much, but it's one of my favorite finds. i bought a DSC-W120 last year for cheap but it didn't have a battery charger or power cable. i found the exact battery charger earlier this year and now i've got the cable, so the camera is complete. i just love finds like this.

lastly, the Nomad: another fave for the week. not my first Nomad, but such a good deal i'm still excited. i love that it came with Mega Bomberman (one of the best BM games, to me) and Gunstar Heroes. i hate that they're both incomplete. oh well.

[quote name='leftwing1018']how do you do it allyourblood? how do you always find such great deals![/QUOTE]
He must live in a good area for finding games. Where I live, I consider myself lucky to come back with 1 or 2 game related items.

[quote name='allyourblood']

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely interested! :lol:

allyourblood... where actually do you live?

I think I'm going to be unbelievably upset if I find out youre nearby... but then again, it would explain why I NEVER find anything!

Wow AllYourBlood, great scores. I WANT that complete Mario vs. Donkey Kong...well actually, I just want the box for it. And that Nomad + Gunstar Heroes, LOL!

Those are good finds, I could use a battery pack for my nomad even though I would probably never use it lol! Those virtual boy games were a great find.

I would return something if I spent a lot, like 10 or more dollars, especially if it was for a single item. For anything 5 and under I wouldn't bother trying especially if it was a bundle lot where the contents was easily worth more than 5$. When I buy stuff I try to make sure there is at least enough stuff there to make it worth what I paid even if the main item does not work.

If a person is telling you something definitely works and you get home and it doesn't then you should probably go back because IMO, that's just dirty and you know where the person lives. Bring a bunch of friends or something if you don't want to go alone! If they say I am not sure or I haven't tested it in years then that is different but if they are telling you it definitely works and it doesn't then that is playing dirty. The obvious exception here would be a charity sale or a sale where things are donated in unknown condition and there is no way that the person running it would know if it worked or not. Most people at least around here are honest and they will not tell you something works when it does not.

thanks folks!

this summer has been turning out to be one of the best i've had for a while, yard sale-wise. as for how i find all this stuff, it's mostly luck, but on the other hand, the sheer volume of video game stuff found at sales has been probably triple what it's normally been in years. that also means i turn down a lot more stuff; stuff that's probably just gonna get thrown out or given to Goodwill.

i didn't have to haggle on Halo, the camera cable, Wario DS, the Nomad, or the hint book (actually the lady with the hint book wouldn't go any lower), so those prices were as-is. and if you're wondering, yes, i probably could have got some of those items for less, but in general, if something is better than what i'm expecting to haggle it down to, i'll usually just pay it (not always, but usually).

there was a lot of competition out this past weekend as well -- that is, people buying video game stuff or browsing when i walked up. i don't like to think about it very much because i start to wonder what i missed, or even worse, i'll see what i just missed.

I find most of my stuff by asking if they have anything. Most people don't think to put things out, so when you ask they light up and head into the house, and back with a box full of what they consider to be junk. I've yet to see any of the lesser popular consoles, though (3DO, Turbo Grafx, or even a 32x or Sega CD) and I've done it for three summers now.

There were summers when I would see gaming stuff maybe one time every 3 weeks if I was lucky (I have been doing this since 1999), but now I get at least something every week most of the time. This has been for last summer and this summer. I've pretty much been doing yard sales all my life but I only just started with games in 1999. I will have days where I will buy something at every house (keep in mind I am in this for other things too besides games). You have to take what is out there though, and it certainly helps if you already have the basic common systems in your collection so you can pick up mostly any game and accessory, clean it, test it out and sell it if you decide you don't want it. If your more discerning or only looking for certain things you won't get as much as you will have to pass up some of what you see.

I've been completely hit or miss on my yard sales. Some weeks every sale I hit has some game stuff, and alot of it I don't even ask about. Other weeks I find pretty much nothing. The one thing I notice is that yard sales that advertise on Craigslist as having games, are generally cleaned out by 7:30am. I have had better luck with sales I just find along the way, although i missed out on a pretty epic one last week. They were selling all their adult children's games, over 200. So it is kinda random.

I get good stuff every week, probably because I'm in a big city and there are a lot of yard sales in a small area, but some week more than others.

bread's done
Back