Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='mission42']Nice find on the RE4 Demo Disc[/QUOTE]

2zdr9th.jpg

What is it quite rare. I really didn't think much of it. Heres a picture of it all. FF9 was last weekend. Cost 2 dollars.

can post a pic later, but went to a rummage sale, and got several games and other items, if divide items evenly paid about $0.62 each.

games were:
Starfox Assault (GC)
Sheep (PS1)
Pilotwings (SNES)
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers (NES)
Star Wars Racer (N64)

Picture isn't very good since I had to take it with my cell phone.

Friday Finds
Zelda 4 swords guide $0.20
large pill box $1 (not pictured)
Saturn with 4 games $5
Iron Giant DVD $1
Diablo 2 manual and expansion guide $1

Saturday Finds
HDMI cable $1
Model 2 SNES system $5
Valkyria Chronicles $20 (walmart)

On Friday, I spent most of my time on the Northwest side of town going through some nicer, more modern neighborhoods. I didn't find much in either since there aren't as many sales at this time of year. The guide was a quarter, but I talked the lady down since I only had $0.20 in change at the time. I picked up this large pill box from a lady who must work for a drug company and sells a lot of extra promotional items.

The second neighborhood I went to is where I found the Saturn. It came with 4 or 5 games, a couple controllers, power cord, but no video cable. It also had the original box, but it is really torn up. I was surprised to find the saturn since I arrived there around lunch time. The iron giant dvd also came from that neighborhood. The manual and guide came from a neighborhood close to home.

On Saturday, I spent time going through neighborhoods closer to home. My first stop was actually Walmart to pick up that copy of Valkyria Chronicles for $20. I dropped by couple neighborhoods that I don't usually visit, but didn't see anything worth picking up. On my second to last neighborhood, I found that HDMI cable in a box with a bunch of other cables. They also had a cheap looking HDMI switcher, but didn't want to go lower than $5. I found the model 2 super nintendo in that neighborhood as well. It came with the usual cables, a n64 controller, n64 game tetrisphere, but no snes controllers.

I had some huge non game finds, but I will only list the game ones here...

Sewer Shark segs cd .25
Kingdom Hearts GH complete $1
Sega CD official game secrets .25

Yeah it's somewhat hard to come by. I have a copy somewhere but can't find it anywhere, not sure where it made off to. Either way, for a buck it was a good deal, I'm sure you could easily ebay it for $20 or so. The gameplay was a bit different in the demo than from the release and apparently not many people grabbed this from gamestop with the pre-order so it is a somewhat rare demo.

[quote name='dodgeme']
2zdr9th.jpg

What is it quite rare. I really didn't think much of it. Heres a picture of it all. FF9 was last weekend. Cost 2 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Tetris Plus (GH, Complete) - .50

Was $1 but took .50

Resident Evil Director's Cut Guide

Oddworld Abe's Exoddus (Disc Only)
Parasite Eve (Missing Manual & Demo Disk)

Ballz (Complete)
Ex-Mutants (Complete)
Street Fighter II' Special Championship Edition (Boxed)
ToeJam & Earl In Panic On Funkotron (Complete)

BC Racers (Complete)
Motocross Championship (Complete)
Tempo (Complete)
WWF RAW (Complete)

$5

Found this stuff about mid morning at an unadvertised sale I passed by on one of the main roads. Total from the prices was $14.50 but they were probably priced from previous yardsales has they easily took my offer of $5. I passed on Shadow Squadron CIB (32x) Clayfighter (CO) & NBA Jam Tournament TE (CO) since I have them already and the rest of the PSX, Genesis stuff was sports, racing or wrestling games.

Fat Playstation 2 With A/V Cord - $2

Saw this late in the day fan & vents looked dirty and I'm guessing it doesn't work right even though I was told it works. Was asking $5.

N64 With Hookups & 2 1st Party Controllers (Gray & Atomic Purple)

All-Star Baseball '99
Excitebike 64
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
Madden NFL 2002
Paperboy

$5

After I was done yardsaling I ran out to a few sales in my town at about 12:30 or shortly after. Asked about games and this was brought out and was offered for $5.

Only went to one sale on Friday because of rain and was only out interested in another sale that advertised "Original Nintendo & SNES games" which wasen't going on because of the rain. They advertised in the Thursday paper and that's it maybe pulling the ad after Thursday if they changed their minds about having a sale with the rain.

Saturday was calling for rain again but barely rained early morning and most sales on my list were still going. Had a list of about 40 sales and got to 33 sales total in 3 different areas & a few in my town I've never been to. Got out late again (probably about 8:15) and was out for about 4-4 1/2 total I'd guess.

Had 3 sales that mentioned selling games today but didn't mention anything in particular. Like usual had a few house that had something older that they weren't selling with lines like "my kids would kill me" or "sorry they are attached to them" refering to if they sold said old system with games.

Saw some pricy stuff (games from different systems) most notably Q*Bert (NES) & a few Genesis commons at $4 a pop but the only way over the top price I remember on a video game today was Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII marked $35, somebody clearly didn't understand how much most older current gen games depreciate in value :D

I passed on a few decent deals today that were pretty reasonable but not cheap enough for me on something I already have. Fat PS2 With Hookups 2 1st Party Controllers & a Multitap at $20 (didn't even think to try for $10 probably for fear of it not working) and at one house I asked about games and a kid brought out an N64 & I think 6 games all decent games but only ones worth more then a few bucks being Zelda OoT & Starfox 64. It had 2 generic controllers & was missing the cover to the jump pak so it was too much for me as he wanted $30 but said he'd take $20.

[quote name='SaraAB']3 copies of dragon warrior NES - 1$, at a different house but very odd to see 3 of the same game at one house. i wasn't gonna pass on them because they were really cheap.[/QUOTE]

They had 3 subscriptions to Nintendo Power ;)

[quote name='Sinnbox']http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSinnbox[/QUOTE]

Were the Mega Man Games all boxed or were any of them complete? Either way nice find! Your rant on the Mega Man 2 box cover art would have been tougher to pull off if you also got a copy of Mega Man 1 in the batch :)

I saw some xbox controllers today for $2 each, but I left them. They were the extra large ones that originally came with the system. Are those worth picking up? I know there is a name for them, but I could not figure it out from ebay.

The Duke. They are worth like 10 a piece. If they have a green instead of black jewel they are called a dakota which was fairly rarer to find as it was quickly replaced after launch. Those get like 30+

[quote name='slowdive21']I saw some xbox controllers today for $2 each, but I left them. They were the extra large ones that originally came with the system. Are those worth picking up? I know there is a name for them, but I could not figure it out from ebay.[/QUOTE]

Dukes Well, I'm LTTP.

[quote name='slowdive21']I saw some xbox controllers today for $2 each, but I left them. They were the extra large ones that originally came with the system. Are those worth picking up? I know there is a name for them, but I could not figure it out from ebay.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'll pretty much always pick up controllers if they fall under

NES/SNES/Genesis/PS first party $1
PS2/XBox/DC/GC/64 first party $2-$3 (third party $1)

That's mainly because I know I'd kick myself later if I found a controller-less system (which is more or less what I usually find... and they're cheaper.).

I got a Dakota and an S-type a few summers ago for $2 each. Leant them to my friend as mice chewed his and got 'em back when I picked up a controller-less Mountain Dew XBox for $20.

I have a question - could you guys tell me what some of your maximum spending prices for consoles are? Like I don't think I would spend over $7 or $8 on an Game Boy SP at a yard sale. Let's say these all come with cords and 2 controllers (except for handhelds)
Xbox -
Xbox 360 -
Playstation 1 -
Playstation 2 -
Playstation 3 -
Gamecube -
DS -
DS Lite -
DSi -
PSP -
Game boy color / pocket / original -
Game Boy Advance -
Game Boy Advance SP -
NES -
SNES -
Atari 2600 -
ETC.
If you fill this whole list out I swear you will be like my hero for life...I see consoles at sales but I never know if they are overpriced. I know you guys are "cheap" ass gamers, but I just want a range.

Well it depends on the make of the console too, a top loader's obviously worth more than a standard NES, then there's the colored N64 BS but I'd say about 20 for older consoles and maybe $100 for current gen. Assuming they have all the cords of course.

Yesterday i found a complete playstation dualshock bundle in the box with 2 controllers, all the paperwork, and even the styrofoam inserts for only a buck. and got perfect dark for gameboy color for 50 cents

Went out this morning and came home with nothing :(

At one sale, I saw an SNES console and right when I started walking over to it, some guy picks up the box it was in and buys it for $2... sure I don't need another one, but I was mere seconds away from getting it!! Ahh that pisses me off.. if I just got there a little sooner...

[quote name='FOnewearl']They had 3 subscriptions to Nintendo Power ;)

Were the Mega Man Games all boxed or were any of them complete? Either way nice find! Your rant on the Mega Man 2 box cover art would have been tougher to pull off if you also got a copy of Mega Man 1 in the batch :)[/QUOTE]
YA, that one has hideous art as well, They are all complete, I wish there was a MM 1 in the lot, but I think I may have a boxed copy at my parents house, I'm gonna run over there and look in a bit.

The only thing I got today was Pokemon Red Rescue Team (GBA) for 5 bucks. I thought it was worth over $20 on ebay, really it's only worth like $10. It is complete though. I got it down from $10 to $5.

[quote name='Scorch']I still have a sealed RE4 demo. I don't know what to list it at. There's two on Amazon for $49.99 from Marketplace sellers.[/QUOTE]

i have never seen any sell for even half that price...there is no demand for it...i gave mine up on goozex a little while back and it took forever just to be matched up...even now there are no requests (or offers) for it and no completed auctions on ebay since people are trying to get too much for them

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']I have a question - could you guys tell me what some of your maximum spending prices for consoles are? Like I don't think I would spend over $7 or $8 on an Game Boy SP at a yard sale. Let's say these all come with cords and 2 controllers (except for handhelds)
Xbox - Probably not more than 10
Xbox 360 - I wouldn't buy one at all due to RROD regardless of price
Playstation 1 - $3 (they aren't worth anything)
Playstation 2 - $5 (again wouldn't buy it due to issues with console)
Playstation 3 - umm no idea here
Gamecube - $5-10, not more than that
DS - $20 (this would be absolute maximum for a good condition system)
DS Lite - maybe $50-60 if it was perfect
DSi - umm close to retail I would expect
PSP - should be cheap if its the older model, maybe $20
Game boy color / pocket / original - 1$ for a loose system, not more than that
Game Boy Advance - 3$, original model
Game Boy Advance SP - $10 max with charger, less without charger
NES - $1-3, its gonna be broken and require connector replacement
SNES - $5-10 with no games
Atari 2600 - maybe 5$, you will have to throw the controllers out
ETC.
If you fill this whole list out I swear you will be like my hero for life...I see consoles at sales but I never know if they are overpriced. I know you guys are "cheap" ass gamers, but I just want a range.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a stab at it. This would be for my area though, its gonna vary by area. My area seems to have nearly no market for anything older, everyone just wants the new stuff.

Oh and the dragon warriors had price tags from a local used game store that closed in my area so I found that quite odd.

The above is for consoles without games, obviously with games you could pay more depending on games. Your best bet is to look at ebay and see what your average used console is going for for each console you want to buy. Yard sale price should be significantly lower than ebay and gamestop. Most people over here overprice the newer consoles, its common to see Gamecubes for $50 and GBA SP's for $40. Or check gamestop's prices on used consoles. For example if a person is selling a cube for $50 at a sale and you can get one from GS for 29.99 your better off going with them. I have seen cubes with 2 controllers sell as low as 9.99 on ebay with shipping, so paying $50 would be absurd.

The Xbox 360 and PS2 I wouldn't buy at full yardsale price due to issues with the PS2 and Xbox 360 RROD which will happen. You can flip a PS2 console on ebay for like 20-30 even if its broken but seriously if your seeing PS2's at yard sales you should assume they are broken and pay no more than $5 per console. I have seen them and been told they were working, but it was either obviously clogged with dust or didn't work when I got home. Most people ask at least $50 for their PS2. They might also work with one type of disc but will not work with another.

With the handhelds like the PSP you have to assume dead or very worn down lithium ion batteries in the console, so factor battery replacement into your price.

Now if you actually bothered to read this I have a question. I saw a Yobo NES/SNES combo today in the box for $25. They claim it was never used. The people selling were talking about ebay so I knew it was non-negotiable. The console had an original price of $75 on the box I think. Would it have been worth it to pick this up? I don't think so but I just want to check.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Now if you actually bothered to read this I have a question. I saw a Yobo NES/SNES combo today in the box for $25. They claim it was never used. The people selling were talking about ebay so I knew it was non-negotiable. The console had an original price of $75 on the box I think. Would it have been worth it to pick this up? I don't think so but I just want to check.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother. There are several nes/snes clones out there. Honestly if you go to China Town in any major city you can probably get one new for about the same price. I may be biased, since I do not like using third party items. I would hold out for a real NES/SNES. They use the same hookup on the TV (one works on both systems, I forgot which one), so you can just swap out the RF or you can screw one into the other one in a series connection as well as a genesis and atari, intellivision etc.

When I needed one, I was gonna buy one of the knock off super nintendos before after several attempts at hunting one down in the wild and bam! found one with a bunch of controllers for $25 at a flea.

Try and find an original if you can.

[quote name='slowdive21']I wouldn't bother. There are several nes/snes clones out there. Honestly if you go to China Town in any major city you can probably get one new for about the same price. I may be biased, since I do not like using third party items. I would hold out for a real NES/SNES. They use the same hookup on the TV (one works on both systems, I forgot which one), so you can just swap out the RF or you can screw one into the other one in a series connection as well as a genesis and atari, intellivision etc.[/QUOTE]

I have plenty of consoles here, I was just wondering if it should be picked up as an addition to the collection or as a nice novelty item to have. I would probably buy one at $5 or $10 but not more than that.

Haha yesterday at a yardsale i found a slightly yellowed SNES all hookups, one controller, Star Fox, Super Mario World,Super Mario All Stars and a boxed copy of Mario paint with mouse and pad for 20 bucks. Not sure if it was the greatest deal. what do you guys think? Definately better than ebay right?

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Haha yesterday at a yardsale i found a slightly yellowed SNES all hookups, one controller, Star Fox, Super Mario World,Super Mario All Stars and a boxed copy of Mario paint with mouse and pad for 20 bucks. Not sure if it was the greatest deal. what do you guys think? Definately better than ebay right?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good find to me!

[quote name='Jedi1979']i have never seen any sell for even half that price...there is no demand for it...i gave mine up on goozex a little while back and it took forever just to be matched up...even now there are no requests (or offers) for it and no completed auctions on ebay since people are trying to get too much for them[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. The cheapest new copy on Amazon is $50 but there are used copies in the $5-10 range. The sales rank is 26,241 . . . which is very high for a video game. It probably hasn't sold for months and the last sale might have been a cheap used copy.

If I had a sealed copy, I would list it on Amazon for $20 and hope that someone would go for it over the holiday season.

This weekend looks pretty good so far in terms of sales. Already I found 4 (3 on Craigslist) in my town alone. Can't travel at all this weekend because I would need a car and the "drivers" are busy. One sale even advertised video games. That's pretty unusual for me :). Also a guy about 30 minutes away has a Neo Geo and a Turbo Grafx 16. How much would you pay for each of those? They're both fairly rare. Unfortunately it sounds like he knows it's rare, but maybe he isn't looking for a profit? He's selling a bunch of video games at his garage sale. Since I can't get there this weekend I'm hoping I'll be able to pick some up before then. Here was his email to me:
"Hi! Thanks for the inquiry-
There will be a lot of old xbox and PS2 games along with a pile of PSP
and some Nintendo DS games. There are a few PS3 games too, but not too
many new titles.
Was there a game you were looking for. I don;t have a list of the games
unfortunately. I am still preparing for the sale this weekend and
finding the old games.
I do have a rare NEO GEO Pocket game system which was imported to the US
along with 5 games with it and a TUrbo Graphics 16 game console.
I am hoping to have a listing soon, so if I do, I can email it to you
before the weekend.
But feel free to stop by on Saturday!
: )"
I really want that list and some prices!

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']This weekend looks pretty good so far in terms of sales. Already I found 4 (3 on Craigslist) in my town alone. Can't travel at all this weekend because I would need a car and the "drivers" are busy. One sale even advertised video games. That's pretty unusual for me :). Also a guy about 30 minutes away has a Neo Geo and a Turbo Grafx 16. How much would you pay for each of those? They're both fairly rare. Unfortunately it sounds like he knows it's rare, but maybe he isn't looking for a profit? He's selling a bunch of video games at his garage sale. Since I can't get there this weekend I'm hoping I'll be able to pick some up before then. Here was his email to me:
"Hi! Thanks for the inquiry-
There will be a lot of old xbox and PS2 games along with a pile of PSP
and some Nintendo DS games. There are a few PS3 games too, but not too
many new titles.
Was there a game you were looking for. I don;t have a list of the games
unfortunately. I am still preparing for the sale this weekend and
finding the old games.
I do have a rare NEO GEO Pocket game system which was imported to the US
along with 5 games with it and a TUrbo Graphics 16 game console.
I am hoping to have a listing soon, so if I do, I can email it to you
before the weekend.
But feel free to stop by on Saturday!
: )"
I really want that list and some prices![/QUOTE]

If you give him a chance to think about it, it'll be harder to haggle. See if you can just head over there and rummage through things and CIF for some stuff. Email tag sucks via CL and usually ends in wasted time and high prices, at least in my experience.

My weekend yard-saling excursion didn't go quite as well as planned, but I DID pick up a box full of Atari 2600 games for $8. While well over twenty games for a system I don't even own doesn't seem to make much sense, I must make mention that included were two sealed copies of "Venture," one sealed copy of "Ms. Pacman" and another complete in box with manual (mint) copy of "Dig Dug," as well as a few others that I can't quite remember and a whole slew of loose titles. Lots of repeats, for some odd reason.

Man, I've been unloading my dupes and whatnot on eBay lately and it's absolutely brutal. I don't mind all that much since this stuff is just taking up space, but damn. $3+ shipping for Donkey Kong Country, $3 + shipping for Starfox 64 in the box. I'd rather this stuff go to my friends or CAG-ers at these prices.

The thing is this guy is about 30 min away from me each way, and one of my parents would have to drive. I don't think my parents would want to drive an hour just to LOOK and see if I want anything he has.

[quote name='zero_bit']Man, I've been unloading my dupes and whatnot on eBay lately and it's absolutely brutal. I don't mind all that much since this stuff is just taking up space, but damn. $3+ shipping for Donkey Kong Country, $3 + shipping for Starfox 64 in the box. I'd rather this stuff go to my friends or CAG-ers at these prices.[/QUOTE]That's why you never do auction, always BIN.

Here's my finds for yard sale and swap meet this weekend:

http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p9140037.jpg

Gameboy
case
metroid II
tetris
wario land
heianky alien

manuals only for:
lotr the two towers
yu gi oh the eternal duelist soul
doom
Breath of fire II
golden sun

$5

gundam model (never used) - $1

game gear w/ magnifier - $1

KOTOR - $10

RE Code Veronica, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Flogan Bros - $2

Doom - $0.25

Xenosaga Preorder DVD - $2

Goldeneye and Pokemon Blue - $8

Got back from three today (two advertised, one next door to one). Both were ones I hit up before, but I did find...

Days of Thunder (NES in box w/ manual) - $1
Rayman 2 (PS w/ manual) - $1
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (PS w/ manual) - $1
Orion VCR VR5006 - $5

The Orion is in excellent shape and I love the VCR I have by them.

I hit a neighborhood sale that starts today, but will have more tomorrow. I only managed to get four NES games, but one of them is a good one.
I found:
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden 2
power punch 2
Super C

I've been trying to find contra at a garage sale for several years now, but have had no luck. Finding the sequel is good though. I don't think I've ever played that.

I also talked with this guy selling games. He said that he knows someone at mcvans and said they send out around 12 people to neighborhoods around town. That explains why I have such trouble finding games. I knew they sent out some, but I didn't think it would be that many people.

These are today's finds:

I paid less for the PS1 games, since I bought them with non game stuff (not pictured).
The lego guys are sealed.

Wanted $5 for the dualshock 2s, CIF $2 for both
Paid .50 per guide.

The paper mario guide seems to be somewhat sought after!

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']I'm surprised at how many posts on this thread for finds from Thursday sales there are... (none in my area)[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The Thursday sales seem to hit later in the fall for me. It seems to be more or less retired or housewives that want their weekends free.

Hit up two today next to each other (one was advertised). Picked up the following Gameboy Games...

Pokemon Yellow Special Pikachu Edition
Pokemon Blue (x2)
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Gold
Conker's Pocket Tales

$1 a piece.

They also had Pokemon Pinball, but I left it sit. Dude had dropped stuff off for his parents. He said he has a Gameboy sitting at home he'd bring tomorrow.

4 yard sales today. I bought a Sandisk brand SD card reader for 75 cents at one, and a "practically new" Creative brand webcam with mic for $2.

Only one of them had any games. Gamecube with GB Player, Wavebird and a big stack of games, but they wanted $100 for everything and wouldn't budge on selling separately. I already have a Gamecube and there were maybe 2 or 3 game sint he stack I could have bought. Real sham ethe sellers have to be so stubborn and idiotic, because I don't think yard sale hunters even carry that kind of cash. Besides, if they'd sold everything separate, games at $5 each or so, they could have made double their asking price. Hicks.

Didn't do much saleing today . . . there was a good book sale at 9 in the local metropolis and I dropped $200 there but came home very, very happy. I dreamed of finding some games . . . only found tons of books but I did see one game (so I bought it)

091809DDRx.jpg

Sealed copy . . . $1

I stopped at a couple sales on my way home and picked up this:

091809CODmac.jpg

Paid $2.50.

The season is really winding down here but I have some hope for tomorrow because of some listings.

I didn't get much today. There wasn't a lot of sales.

antenna for radio or tv - $1
2 network cards - $0.50

I got the antenna since it is good to have an extra. The network cards are for a computer I'm fixing up to sell. I'm hoping one of them works.

I really need to find a camera, so I don't have to use my parents one. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good ones for cheap. It's either too expensive or the cameras are about the same quality of my cell phone camera.

bread's done
Back