Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='darkslime']karkyco - Yeah, I think I'm going to take the PS1s off amazon and just dump em at the swap meet, or try to at least. I just don't want to waste my whole saturday and night sitting in 100+ degree heat. Even though no one is there all day you have to be because all the spots get taken around 8 AM. :X

[/QUOTE]

You should give them away as a promotion . . . buy x number of games or spend x dollars and get a free PS1!

Final Fantasy VII (GH, No Manual) - $3 (IAP)

NES With Hookups, 2x 1st Party Controllers, Zapper & 6 Games

Captain Comic
Kung Fu
Little Nemo The Dream Master
Lone Ranger, The
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Super Bowl (Complete With An Extra Manual)

$30

The NES stuff was marked $35, I offered $15 only to be told that $30 was the lowest they would take. This sale was rather early on my route and I left and actually decided to grab it on my way home since I didn't find much.

Non Find BS -
Was out from shortly after 8 till almost 11 then was out for just over an hour shortly after that so I was probably out for just over 4 hours today total. I got to about 30 sales.

Some expensive stuff I passed on, same sale I got the NES at had a model 1 Genesis with about 8 games marked $45 with what seemed to be a pretty boring selection of games. GameCube with 2-3 sports games Pokemon XD & a Wavebird for a second controller $50 for all. Two things I saw in the paper advertised that won't sell unless the sellers are willing to bargin WAY down. DJ Hero, "Renegade Edition-used once" I think it was the PS3 version they marked it as $150 paid $200 and when I asked about older video games the lady said she'd do $125 for it if I wanted it (I didn't show any interest). "Paystation 2,controller, 2 sports games, mem card - $125" this speaks for itself.

One house I stopped at later on had some PS2/Xbox games marked $3, I asked about older games and the guy at the sale ended up being an older guy (I'd guess in his 60s) that was a gamer. Mentioned being more of a Sega guy but said he had some different stuff he picked up over the years at yardsales including a Nintendo and mentioned that he never played Zelda and never really got to playing the Nintendo stuff much so he didn't know if he would want to part with it.

Another shopper at this sale overheard me asking about old video games and was telling me about a sale the week before that they got a GameBoy with some games at and how they had an Atari with games and different systems at this sale or something like that and how they were asking $10 for a system with games. I wasen't yardsaling in this area last week (Not many sales in that area and it would have been out of the way) but while it may have been good I'm sure that the way this lady explained it to me would have seemed exaggerated compared how it really was.

Today sucked pretty bad. I hit about 20-30 sales and saw absolutely nothing, except Dora the Explorer for GBA and a couple 3rd party PS2/Xbox controllers for $1 each.

I was with my dad, and we couldn't stay much longer because he had a business meeting at 10:30. It was about 10:15 and we still hadn't had any luck. We saw one more sale on the way home and decided to stop by. It was a pretty small sale with mostly bird/dog cages, there was only 2 tables of stuff. We almost didn't even get out of the car, but I figured what the hell. On the table I saw:

SNES with all hookups, 2 controllers
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2 (some label damage)
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars

All in a bucket marked $10. Score! I said, "Oh wow, you have a Super Nintendo" and the seller said "Yep, and it's gotta go". At that point he basically gave it away that he would take less so I offered $5 for everything and he accepted :D

Just keep that in mind when you see junk sales you want to pass up.

Oh, and by the way. On the Super Mario World the green text on the label is centered, and not aligned left like the other 2 copies I have. Anyone know the difference between the two? Is one more rare, etc?..

Thanks

2ik8t4z.jpg

PS1 games - $5 total
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (GH)
Silent Hill (GH)
Star Wars: Dark Forces (GH)
Grand Theft Auto 2 (GH)
Crash Bandicoot (GH)
Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
This guy had a PsOne but it was marked $40. Bizarrely, when I asked how much for the games it was just $1 each. Settled on $5 for 6.

2i2268z.jpg

:ds: Animal Crossing: Wild World - $5
The rest was $10:
Pokemon Gold Version CIB
Pokemon Red Version CIB
Advance Wars (empty box)
:xbox: Conker: Live & Reloaded CIB
N64 - Conker's Bad Fur Day (no manual, shitty box)

This guy had a lot of stuff including a decent selection of Xbox games and a CIB Xbox system, lots of cart+manual GB games, and a Game Gear. I cherry picked the best stuff, but if I had more cash I would've probably made an offer on everything.

2lcy002.jpg

PSOne system w/ hookups - $10
I've been wanting one of these. It works fine. IAP was $25.

Pretty good haul considering I can upgrade my GB Pokemon games to CIB and sell the extras.

I got some good stuff today. I went to the sales with my neighbours, who go to a much different area than I do.

Shrek 2 Xbox (complete)
Sneak King Xbox (complete)
NHL 2K7 Xbox (complete)
$1 total
They had Burnout Revenge, which I wanted, but there was no game in the case. A kid at the sale went inside to look and brought out NHL 2K7. They originally wanted $2 for all those games.

Pitfall handheld electronic game
10 cents.

Here's my big (kinda) find:

Black Gamecube
GCN power cable
Nintendo AV cables
2 GCN controllers (purpley-blue and black)
GCN memory card
Resident Evil 4 GCN (discs and manual only)
Mario Kart Double Dash GCN (2 discs, 1 case, 1 manual. Both are the game disc, not the bonus)
Medal of Honor European Assault GCN (complete)
Scooby-Doo Unmasked GCN (disc only)
Mario Party 7 GCN (disc only)
007 Nightfire (disc only)
Winnie the Pooh Rumbly Tumbly Adventure (complete)
GCN microphone
Green Game Boy Color
Super Mario Bros Deluxe (game only)
Random OXM bonus disc
NBA Live 07 360 (complete)
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 360 (complete)
$10 total
My neighbours drove by this sae, but I noticed a bunch of DVD cases so I told them to sop. The sellers wanted $10 just for the Gamecube stuff, but I offered $10 with the other stuff. It was all horribly dirty. I'm surprised it works. I mostly wanted RE4, which is what caught my eye. I plan on selling Call of Duty 4, since I already have it.

Jeanne Dárc PSP (case and manual)
Free.
This was the only game at the sale. I opened it up and there was no game. If it had the game, it would have been 25 cents. Darn.

2 community sales today but it started pouring about 30 sales in for me and I was walking with a backpack. Lots of sports games and a couple of overpriced PS2 bundles with people who liked the word ebay and hated the word haggling.

I did find a guy with a box of 28 cart only atari games and wanted 2 dollars a piece. I found a copy of Marauders with manual for Atari 2600 so I guess today wasnt a complete bust.

Gonna take me awhile to put together my finds . . . so-so for games. Pretty good outings for other media.

Two notes: for those discouraged by the lack of games or poor quality of games--you might just be beaten out by others. I suspect that those who are doing best might not have that much competition.

I overheard sellers at one sale commenting (big subdivision sale) on how a Sega had sold a little while earlier . . . this was early in the day. I'm pretty sure I have stiff competition . . . any good stuff just ahead of me was probably sucked up.

Another gripe I want to air. I was at one sale (later on Sat.) and saw a PS2 (fat but with a network adapter). It was marked $20 so I offered $10. We agree on $10 but the guy (maybe 20) says he needs to run home (he's at someone else's house) to get the hookups--15 min wait. At this point, I should have CIFed . . . I have extra hookups (I'm pretty sure). But then again, I can hit a few more sales on the block (in fact, I scored some good media at one). He takes an overly long time and when I see him 25 mins. later he says "I can't sell it for $10--I looked it up on ebay. I'll take $20." What a crappy thing to do. At his point, I just leave figuring the karma is so messed up that I'd probably get home and it wouldn't work anyway.

Found an Atari with 18 games for $10. Not sure what to do with it, because I don't really actually care for anything before NES, and my GF anything before SNES.

dsc00239vx.jpg

dsc00240u.jpg

Bought Lost S1 in very minty condition for $5. Didn't haggle, and not sure why.
dsc00241hl.jpg

Found a variety of other stuff.
Candy Factory - $3 (like new, GF wanted it, cause it looked like Cake Mania)
Bug's Life 2-Disc collector's - $2 (I don't think I've ever seen it)
Titanic game - $1 (GF wanted it)
Overclocked - $1 (Looked interesting)
Post Mortem - $1 (GF wanted it)
The Longest Journey - $1 (GF wanted it)
Pokemon Diamond - $5
2 tins of Yugioh cards for $4 (I really shouldn't have bought these)

dsc00242r.jpg

dsc00243pf.jpg

$1 on each of the two ZipZaps
$6 for the Burger King Pokemon collectibles, the 23K gold plated ones, and the 3 worthless holos

Finally, we also went to a Korean church rummage sale with the promise of food being sold there. Spend $10 on a bag of very random stuff.
dsc00244.jpg

Chip & Dale for NES
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (N64)
1080 (N64)
Diddy King Racing (N64)
Vegas Games (GBC)
Tetris (GB)
........two remotes...
....2 decks of mini dave & buster cards (and 2 empty cases as well)
.............2 watch straps!?
......some cables
...ATI Radeon X300 SE
.........cable splitter
...some plastic thing with a Nick chick on there (no idea what it is, and it's going in the bin anyways)
.........some screws and other hardware
......75 ohm coaxial cable connectors
....USB to PS/2 converter
..a little lightbulb
...........Verizon EVDO Express PC card.............

At least the games in the lot are worth $10.

WOW my first find, was in my own garage! I went out at 8am scowering for gear. The only thing I found was a $50 Gameboy, wasn't happening. So my stepdad says he has some stuff and I found a Mint (but dirty) Nintendo, and about 10 or so games. I was so stoked. :) I will post pics once I clean it up a bit. Some games include; Metroid, Wayne Gretzkys Hockey, Adventure Island.

Not much today:

A 40 GB PS3 + controller, cables, and manuals that doesn't read discs - $50 (just going to dump on ebay for $100, unless it doesn't cost too much to fix)

Ico (Complete) - $2

Tetris 2, Pokemon Blue, Mario Golf, Donkey Kong 2, Super Mario 2 NES (all with manuals) - $10

It downpoured all day today in Upstate NY, so we barely got in 15 minutes at a community garage sale. Did manage to pick up:

PS1 NFL BLITZ
PS1 Austin Powers Pinball
PS2 NAKI Spider-Man controller
Best of Mickey Mouse VHS
and some books and other random stuff, all in all it cost $5, and it went to the Boy Scouts so i was happy.

DLsemen I feel your pain we (I'm in south Wisconsin) and slowdive (north Illinois) had that rain on Friday. Lately it seems to be nice mid-week and then crappy on the weekend.

[quote name='slowdive21']I did manage to get a few deals in the 5 sales I hit before the rain came. [/QUOTE]

This is mostly my gaming finds . . . I probably bought over 100 items this week total (including a NIB MS wirelesss keyboard and mouse for $6) mostly books, DVDs, and CDs.

I got these because I was bored . . . Sat. morning started pretty slow

Lighteningforce.jpg

Did 2 for $1.00

I tend to do a lot of combo deals . . . pick out a number of items and pitch below the IAP.

GTA4.jpg

$14 worth for $10. I think I will flip my 360 copy of GTAIV and keep this PS3 one.

I thought he wanted $10 each for these . . . so I worked him down to $5

Robotech.jpg

but as turned to leave the guy reminds me to take the other set :)

Just before I got screwed by the shit selling a PS2 (a couple posts above) I found this baby:

Gamecube.jpg

It was marked $10, so I pitched $5 (nice looking set with Wavebird and memory card) the woman winced saying she had already marked it down from $20 but she accepted.

Random finds from 3 sales:

games.jpg

I think I paid $5 for SW Battle (CIB), $7 for COD (CIB), and $3 for SW RC (no manual).

Farce of the week, saw an original Xbox for $75 (you got to pick a game).

Tragedy of the week, I've been longing for an old-school PS1 RPG find and almost crapped when I found this . . .

VanguardBandits.jpg

Vanguard Bandits (messed up case) with art, manual and . . . only one disc . . . DOH! Still, I got it for $1.

Find of the week, not technically a rummage find but I was saleling when I made my last stop at Salvation Army and found this for $6:

MarioMix.jpg

I haven't tested it yet (but it looks great). I got one at a rummage sale last year and sold it for $60 in late November.

See here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209929&highlight=2009+Yard&page=83
post #1649

Nice finds Schultzed, especially with the storms!

Only one gaming related thing this week :(

Paid $8 for the box with a 4 foot wood CD/DVD/VHS rack. I also got a Gameboy advance SP case.

Paid $5 for this box o stuff at another sale. The saving Private Ryan and Van Damme are still sealed.

These were my "good finds"

I saw these for $1 each at a sale (I was there before they opened). I asked if she had anymore and it turns out she has a lot of unopened product, since her husband is an ex ebay seller. I looked him up and he does pretty well with most of his stuff. She told me he is stopping because of his new job and that he may want to get rid of all of it.

I asked how many more of these she had and she said about 5 cases total at home. I told her I would take all of them if she would accept $0.50 each figure. She said "My husband may be mad I took 50 cents, but at least we will have some more space". We then exchanged numbers and she said her husband will call me in a couple of weeks when he gets back from work and we may work out a deal for the rest of his stuff. Most of his stuff is die-cast -that I really do not know a lot about- but I can see it sold regularly on his ebay id.

Basically I got 30 figures for $15 and some other mixed die-cast stuff with it.

[quote name='slowdive21']

Paid $5 for this box o stuff at another sale. The saving Private Ryan and Van Damme are still sealed.

[/QUOTE]

Is that a 3 disc set of Winsor Pilates? I can spot one of them at 20 feet :) I collect those babies all year and sell them in early January. They will fetch a good $30--at least last year they did.

[quote name='slowdive21']
I usually buy workout dvds if I see them...I guess I buy a lot of random stuff. :)[/QUOTE]

If I were to list it right now, I'd put it in as $29.99. If the discs are in great shape, it might sell at anytime but at the least . . . you'd be maximizing the price for when women make their New Year's resolutions.

Drove about 20 minutes away to an estate sale with video games and comic books. Paid $15 for Syndicate Plus (I used to love this game), Star Wars X-Wing Collector Series, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (gf wanted this), Icewind Dale (thought it'd be worth more), and MechWarrior 4 (wasn't walking out of there without this one).

dsc00246el.jpg

Since we were so far away, we decided to go to the swap meet there. Half the vendors were gone by 10AM, which was disappointing. Our normal swap meet place is usually as busy at 2PM. Found some stuff, but all were too expensive for me to bother. Did end up getting 7 guides for $10. Originally he offered $10 for 5 guides, and offered by himself that he'll give me 6 guides for $10. So I asked for 7 =P He had 9 total, the other two were Yugioh, so I passed.

dsc00249zq.jpg

Then as we left the swap meet, we saw a Goodwill that just opened on June 10th, so we figured, why not, we're this far from home anyways. Paid $4.99 each for FF8 and FF Anthology, and $3.99 for Breath of Fire IV. FF8 is missing disc 1, but has FF7 disc 1 in it's place. FF Anthology has no manual, but it came with Final Fantasy Tactics black label inside as well... Breath of Fire IV is missing the manual. All the discs are pretty close to scratch free.

dsc00247oy.jpg

Finally, we went to the Best Buy to look for pennied guides, and Sears to look for clearanced games. Found Imagine Family Doctor for $0.47, and Boy and his Blob for $4.97 (my second copy).

dsc00248o.jpg

At the swap meet last night I got a booth, and sold about $300 worth of stuff. It was all crap that wasn't worth selling, like all of the PS1 games from the lot worth less than $5 were $3 each and I sold a bunch of those, plus some PS2 and Xbox games, PS1 systems for $10, and managed to sell the zappers for $10 each. It only cost me $15 for the spot, and copies of Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Pokemon Stadium 2 and valkryie chronicles I gave to my friend for helping me out.

I also bought some stuff:
Kirby Superstar SNES - $1
KOTOR and KOTOR II Xbox - $10

Traded $35 worth of my stuff for $20 cash and Vigilante 8, RE Director's Cut, and Contra Legacy of War to one of the game dealers there.

And I traded in more of the leftover PS1 games to Bookman's, the first one gave me $75 cash for some of it, mostly crap is left. Then I went to the other Bookman's and they gave $53 in credit for what was left. Using the credit + some other credit I already have I bought:

Star Wars KOTOR PH - $10
Star Wars KOTOR black label case w/ PH disc, no manual - $10
Conker Live & Reloaded - $10
Koudelka - $15
Inuyasha PS1 x2 - $5 ea
Final Fantasy Legend III CIB - $15
Lufia Ruins of Lore GBA cart only - $6

Also got these at a couple other stores:

EZ Pawn:
Pokemon Emerald cart only - $3
Sonic Battle cart only - $3
Shining Tears - $3.99
Jet Set Radio Future - $3.99

GoodWill:
N64 w/ controller, power cable, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, World Driver Championship, Army Men Sarge's Heroes 2, WinBack, THPS - $34.99

I also sold 39 things on eBay in the past three days, not gonna have fun packing tomorrow. Maybe I'll buy myself an HDTV or something with all the money I've made this weekend.

Schultzed - Is it good to buy all workout DVDs, or just the specific set you pointed out?

Darkslime . . . nice playing of your find. I'm up to 270 in gross sales from my 90 vid purchase (4 tapes this week brought in 100).

[quote name='darkslime']
Schultzed - Is it good to buy all workout DVDs, or just the specific set you pointed out?[/QUOTE]

The Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD set is a good buy. Also "Slim in Six" is worthwhile. Both of these have the oddity that they are widely available yet they are valuable. Those who workout are constantly looking for a new fix--this also means that the market is flooded with used videos.

Sets and kits are usually better buys . . . a system is more likely to be worth money than a single program. I'd snag P90X (saw one for $75 at sale--was hoping it would be much less) or Insanity if you could get them for $20 or less.

Sadly most workout videos and DVDs are worthless (like most videos and DVDs) but if you see sealed ones and can get them for $1 . . . you can likely make some money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney's Hercules Action Game (Complete) - $1
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Complete) - $4
Playstation A/V Cord - .50
Donkey Kong Country - $1

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (CIB, Cardboard)
Sonic 2 (Boxed)

$1

Blood Omen 2 (Complete)
Megaman X8 (Complete)

$3

WWF Superstars (GB)
Trolls On Treasure Island (NES, Try Not To Be Jealous)

$1

Small finds, Hercules was in a stack of PS1 games. Guy Said I could have all of them for $10 but I only wanted the one and he took a buck easily. Was looking in a box of PC games and Zelda was the lone DS games I saw at $5, offered $3 had to check inside with the owner who countered with $4. A/V cord was untangled out of a mess and took my .50 offer. Asked about old games and a middle school aged kid mentioned having an extra copy of DKC when he asked what kind of games I was interested in. Took my offer of a buck easily. The 2 Genesis games, buck each took a buck for both, same goes for the GB & NES game. Picked out 2 PS2 games at one house, $2 each took $3 for both with no hassle.

Mostly SNES Stuff (The Chess Master For NES Is The One Hi-Tech Game That's Hard To See) - $5

Asked about games at a sale and this was brought out. I looked it over and was gonna offer $10 but asked if by chance the A/V cord for the SNES was around and accidently missed and it wasen't then offered $5 instead ready to work up but it was taken.

Mostly N64 Stuff - $9

It was pretty late in the day (about noon or shortly after) looked around and asked about video games and was pointed to 2 grocery bags I missed, one with a PS1 & some games & another with the N64 stuff. No price when I brought it up and asked it was $8 which I agreed on, I then noticed the Black GBA SP on a table that I missed. Was told that the battery was shot and said a buck or two would work so I said how about $9 total.

Dirty Atari 2600 Stuff (Adventure - Picture Label, Masters of the Universe: Power of He-Man & Q*Bert Are The Missing Label Games) - $15

Asked about old games and the guy mentioned having a 2600 that he would be willing to sell after I dropped some system names. Dug this up out of the garage out back and I looked it over noticing the rig job on the cord. After BSing about some of the games the seller started out with $20 I said I was thinking $10 and I suggested meeting in the midde which was agreed on.

Genesis Games - $8

This was a huge find for me as I haven't had any good finds at a church sale over the last 5 years of YSing. Only good find I've ever had before this at a church sale was back around 97 when I bought a 2600 with 30 some games for $15 late in the day. This was really late in the day, probably close to 2 and I was surprised to see this and asked as it wasen't priced the lady though it was $2 per a game but went to (I'm guessing the lady that donated the games) and came back with $1 each. I asked about all of them and went to the lady herself and asked if she would like to just get rid of the whole box to which she said how about $8 which I agreed to. I almost passed on this sale as to save some time being so late in the day since I never find anything good at church sales.

Non Find BS -
Was out from about 8 till 3 with about a half hour break early in the afternoon. This really shouldn't be done and today the last 9 sales I went by were all done for the day but I have had a bad habit of going by all of the sales I have on my route instead of calling it a day shortly into the afternoon like I should and just skipping out the end of my route if it's getting late. I did at least find the Genesis games when I went back out making the risk of going out for nothing pay off. I need to start calling it a day shortly after noon or between 1-2 on a late day at worst if I get carried away.

Was out for a long time today mostly because of a big community sale, this was the first community sale in the last 5 years that I've been to where they actually were handing out maps. This was the same area in which I found Chrono Trigger 2 weeks ago and while usually nothing earth shattering I normally end up with a better video game per a yardsale purchase in this area then anywhere else around me. I was in this neighborhood alone for about 3-3 1/2 hours.

I was as prepared as I could have been as I even brought along a printed up list of all of the sales I kept track of being to in this area and crossed off a few right off the bat that were repeats. The whole map idea makes sense on paper but it was a bit overwhelming and I felt kind of like I was going around like a chicken with his head cut off and actually just went around for the most part and didn't follow the map much. It would have been better if they had a way to get or print up the map a day or so in advance as I would have done much better doing up a route through town if I could have sat down at home and figured it out instead of figuring it out in between trying to drive and getting in and out of the car. 33 sales total on the list 20 of them I've either been at before or got to today and 13 I missed. 21 sales I went to that weren't on the map and 3-4 I went to that were advertised by themselves in the paper or CL. About 40 sales total in this area and 64 sales total today.

Right before I got my map a lady heard me at a sale asking about older video games and started telling me to go here then another place making it sound like they had tons of what I'm looking for. This was were I started to act like a chicken with it's head cut off as I Made it top priority to hit up the area she was telling me about and didn't find anything of the likes or close to nor any stories of mountains of games that were just sold, I think she might have heard "video" and figured a sale with say a pile of a dozen DVDs or a bunch of VHS tapes was what I was looking for. I did notice that I missed a sale that mentioned "X Box Games" but if that was the sale it was probably just Xbox games and wouldn't have been a huge tub of old cart games like I pictured if this lady understood what I meant by "Nintendo Games" and wasen't what I can't help but picture just maybe being and seeing say a huge tub of cart games with a good probability of some hidden gems for a buck or change each and willing to go lower if it means getting them all out of the house.

I went to about 64 sales total, 40 at the community sale and the rest elsewhwere. Tons of sales today with a few block/community sales around. I passed up a good sized street sale that goes for a few blocks & a small housing development just West of the community sale I was at today as I've been to both of them a few years ago but might end up at them again some other year as I can't remember if I asked about video games.

The first sale I went to today was one near where I live in town as Friday when I asked about video games a lady that didn't live at this house told me she had a box with what sounded like an Atari and something Nintendo and she said she would bring it tomarrow and got the vibe that she didn't care about it and wanted it gone. When I got to the sale today she couldn't find it. I rarely ever mention stuff like this or giving out my number (which I seem to do 0-3 times a week) since it rarely pans out into anything and I always feel like I'm going to jinx it if I mention it before getting anything.

The biggest nothing that never happened score was a lady I've seen twice over the last few years, 1st time elsewhere and last year at her place. Both times mentioned having about 100 NES games in some drawers but she wasen't eager to go and get them and like some people do made it sound like a hassle to go get or find video games instead of taking a few minutes to get the stuff or at least take a quick look. They didn't even bother putting out an Xbox they had advertised last year IIRC lol This lady also sells at the flea market from time to time and shortly after seeing her at her yardsale last year I saw her selling at the flea market and she had a PSP & DS that were her kids but the prices were about 80-90% of what new retail was at the time so I couldn't help but think that part of the reason she wouldn't want to get the stuff was because she would probably want to try and figure out what the NES stuff was worth and would probably end up coming out the gate with a price of about $300 I would guess if it's about 100 NES games and what I was told was a system that didn't work.

The only thing I was told about missing today was some PS2 games at one house and I don't even remember seeing stuff priced so high that it wouldn't sell anywhere let alone a yardsale. Most of the stuff was pretty reasonable even if nothing particularly special for example I remember seeing a PS2 for $15 and a few PS1 games at the same sale for a buck each.

Has mentioned before much of finding something good at a yardsale is all about luck. I didn't have as good of a video game per a yardsale ratio today in the community sale as I usually do in this area but the neighborhood I got to late just north of that area I only went to 3 sales all on the same block, 2nd sale found the N64 stuff sitting out and possibly missed by somebody that would have been interested since it was all in a bag and the 3rd sale right after that found the Atari stuff. 3 out of 4 of my big finds today came outside of the community sale I went to most of my sales at.

The only other thing I remember that was non find was passing on a broken DS. It's kind of funny as I was told by another shopper (over heard me asking about video games) about this across the street before I got to the sale and another younger lady overheard and pretty much replied with a oh really type response and hurried across as to beat me to the punch. I wouldn't have minded beating this lady to the DSs incase it was dirt cheap but she was doing a speed walk thing so I would have felt like a fucking idiot if I did the same to try and get to the stuff first or started running like a mindless Black Friday shopper who would fight to the death for a deal that ain't that great. It ended up being a Pink DS Lite for $75 or a White broken DS Lite for $25 both with chargers. After hearing the prices the lady didn't buy. I checked out the White DS Lite which I was told it turns on but doesn't turn off right with the power switch or something like that. The top screen had some scatches on it and it looked dirty and maybe even kind of a rusted look on the metal parts. Didn't turn on and trying to charge it for a few minutes didn't change that. I didn't feel like waiting around any longer incase it would have turned on after charging for a while and left but in retrospect I should have been bold enough to offer $5 which probably wouldn't have been taken since it belonged to somebody that they made a quick call to as to see what exactly was wrong but I wouldn't have wanted to risk much more then that since it could have been completely shot and I'm guessing if it was a simple fix needed a new battery.

[quote name='FOnewearl']

Disney's Hercules Action Game (Complete) - $1
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Complete) - $4
Playstation A/V Cord - .50
Donkey Kong Country - $1

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (CIB, Cardboard)
Sonic 2 (Boxed)

$1

Blood Omen 2 (Complete)
Megaman X8 (Complete)

$3

WWF Superstars (GB)
Trolls On Treasure Island (NES, Try Not To Be Jealous)

$1

Small finds, Hercules was in a stack of PS1 games. Guy Said I could have all of them for $10 but I only wanted the one and he took a buck easily. Was looking in a box of PC games and Zelda was the lone DS games I saw at $5, offered $3 had to check inside with the owner who countered with $4. A/V cord was untangled out of a mess and took my .50 offer. Asked about old games and a middle school aged kid mentioned having an extra copy of DKC when he asked what kind of games I was interested in. Took my offer of a buck easily. The 2 Genesis games, buck each took a buck for both, same goes for the GB & NES game. Picked out 2 PS2 games at one house, $2 each took $3 for both with no hassle.

Mostly SNES Stuff (The Chess Master For NES Is The One Hi-Tech Game That's Hard To See) - $5

Asked about games at a sale and this was brought out. I looked it over and was gonna offer $10 but asked if by chance the A/V cord for the SNES was around and accidently missed and it wasen't then offered $5 instead ready to work up but it was taken.

Mostly N64 Stuff - $9

It was pretty late in the day (about noon or shortly after) looked around and asked about video games and was pointed to 2 grocery bags I missed, one with a PS1 & some games & another with the N64 stuff. No price when I brought it up and asked it was $8 which I agreed on, I then noticed the Black GBA SP on a table that I missed. Was told that the battery was shot and said a buck or two would work so I said how about $9 total.

Dirty Atari 2600 Stuff (Adventure - Picture Label, Masters of the Universe: Power of He-Man & Q*Bert Are The Missing Label Games) - $15

Asked about old games and the guy mentioned having a 2600 that he would be willing to sell after I dropped some system names. Dug this up out of the garage out back and I looked it over noticing the rig job on the cord. After BSing about some of the games the seller started out with $20 I said I was thinking $10 and I suggested meeting in the midde which was agreed on.

Genesis Games - $8

This was a huge find for me as I haven't had any good finds at a church sale over the last 5 years of YSing. Only good find I've ever had before this at a church sale was back around 97 when I bought a 2600 with 30 some games for $15 late in the day. This was really late in the day, probably close to 2 and I was surprised to see this and asked as it wasen't priced the lady though it was $2 per a game but went to (I'm guessing the lady that donated the games) and came back with $1 each. I asked about all of them and went to the lady herself and asked if she would like to just get rid of the whole box to which she said how about $8 which I agreed to. I almost passed on this sale as to save some time being so late in the day since I never find anything good at church sales.

Non Find BS -
Was out from about 8 till 3 with about a half hour break early in the afternoon. This really shouldn't be done and today the last 9 sales I went by were all done for the day but I have had a bad habit of going by all of the sales I have on my route instead of calling it a day shortly into the afternoon like I should and just skipping out the end of my route if it's getting late. I did at least find the Genesis games when I went back out making the risk of going out for nothing pay off. I need to start calling it a day shortly after noon or between 1-2 on a late day at worst if I get carried away.

Was out for a long time today mostly because of a big community sale, this was the first community sale in the last 5 years that I've been to where they actually were handing out maps. This was the same area in which I found Chrono Trigger 2 weeks ago and while usually nothing earth shattering I normally end up with a better video game per a yardsale purchase in this area then anywhere else around me. I was in this neighborhood alone for about 3-3 1/2 hours.

I was as prepared as I could have been as I even brought along a printed up list of all of the sales I kept track of being to in this area and crossed off a few right off the bat that were repeats. The whole map idea makes sense on paper but it was a bit overwhelming and I felt kind of like I was going around like a chicken with his head cut off and actually just went around for the most part and didn't follow the map much. It would have been better if they had a way to get or print up the map a day or so in advance as I would have done much better doing up a route through town if I could have sat down at home and figured it out instead of figuring it out in between trying to drive and getting in and out of the car. 33 sales total on the list 20 of them I've either been at before or got to today and 13 I missed. 21 sales I went to that weren't on the map and 3-4 I went to that were advertised by themselves in the paper or CL. About 40 sales total in this area and 64 sales total today.

Right before I got my map a lady heard me at a sale asking about older video games and started telling me to go here then another place making it sound like they had tons of what I'm looking for. This was were I started to act like a chicken with it's head cut off as I Made it top priority to hit up the area she was telling me about and didn't find anything of the likes or close to nor any stories of mountains of games that were just sold, I think she might have heard "video" and figured a sale with say a pile of a dozen DVDs or a bunch of VHS tapes was what I was looking for. I did notice that I missed a sale that mentioned "X Box Games" but if that was the sale it was probably just Xbox games and wouldn't have been a huge tub of old cart games like I pictured if this lady understood what I meant by "Nintendo Games" and wasen't what I can't help but picture just maybe being and seeing say a huge tub of cart games with a good probability of some hidden gems for a buck or change each and willing to go lower if it means getting them all out of the house.

I went to about 64 sales total, 40 at the community sale and the rest elsewhwere. Tons of sales today with a few block/community sales around. I passed up a good sized street sale that goes for a few blocks & a small housing development just West of the community sale I was at today as I've been to both of them a few years ago but might end up at them again some other year as I can't remember if I asked about video games.

The first sale I went to today was one near where I live in town as Friday when I asked about video games a lady that didn't live at this house told me she had a box with what sounded like an Atari and something Nintendo and she said she would bring it tomarrow and got the vibe that she didn't care about it and wanted it gone. When I got to the sale today she couldn't find it. I rarely ever mention stuff like this or giving out my number (which I seem to do 0-3 times a week) since it rarely pans out into anything and I always feel like I'm going to jinx it if I mention it before getting anything.

The biggest nothing that never happened score was a lady I've seen twice over the last few years, 1st time elsewhere and last year at her place. Both times mentioned having about 100 NES games in some drawers but she wasen't eager to go and get them and like some people do made it sound like a hassle to go get or find video games instead of taking a few minutes to get the stuff or at least take a quick look. They didn't even bother putting out an Xbox they had advertised last year IIRC lol This lady also sells at the flea market from time to time and shortly after seeing her at her yardsale last year I saw her selling at the flea market and she had a PSP & DS that were her kids but the prices were about 80-90% of what new retail was at the time so I couldn't help but think that part of the reason she wouldn't want to get the stuff was because she would probably want to try and figure out what the NES stuff was worth and would probably end up coming out the gate with a price of about $300 I would guess if it's about 100 NES games and what I was told was a system that didn't work.

The only thing I was told about missing today was some PS2 games at one house and I don't even remember seeing stuff priced so high that it wouldn't sell anywhere let alone a yardsale. Most of the stuff was pretty reasonable even if nothing particularly special for example I remember seeing a PS2 for $15 and a few PS1 games at the same sale for a buck each.

Has mentioned before much of finding something good at a yardsale is all about luck. I didn't have as good of a video game per a yardsale ratio today in the community sale as I usually do in this area but the neighborhood I got to late just north of that area I only went to 3 sales all on the same block, 2nd sale found the N64 stuff sitting out and possibly missed by somebody that would have been interested since it was all in a bag and the 3rd sale right after that found the Atari stuff. 3 out of 4 of my big finds today came outside of the community sale I went to most of my sales at.

The only other thing I remember that was non find was passing on a broken DS. It's kind of funny as I was told by another shopper (over heard me asking about video games) about this across the street before I got to the sale and another younger lady overheard and pretty much replied with a oh really type response and hurried across as to beat me to the punch. I wouldn't have minded beating this lady to the DSs incase it was dirt cheap but she was doing a speed walk thing so I would have felt like a fucking idiot if I did the same to try and get to the stuff first or started running like a mindless Black Friday shopper who would fight to the death for a deal that ain't that great. It ended up being a Pink DS Lite for $75 or a White broken DS Lite for $25 both with chargers. After hearing the prices the lady didn't buy. I checked out the White DS Lite which I was told it turns on but doesn't turn off right with the power switch or something like that. The top screen had some scatches on it and it looked dirty and maybe even kind of a rusted look on the metal parts. Didn't turn on and trying to charge it for a few minutes didn't change that. I didn't feel like waiting around any longer incase it would have turned on after charging for a while and left but in retrospect I should have been bold enough to offer $5 which probably wouldn't have been taken since it belonged to somebody that they made a quick call to as to see what exactly was wrong but I wouldn't have wanted to risk much more then that since it could have been completely shot and I'm guessing if it was a simple fix needed a new battery.
[/QUOTE]

Damn, those bundles are some crazy good deals.... Especially the N64/SNES.

[quote name='elessar123']Damn, those bundles are some crazy good deals.... Especially the N64/SNES.[/QUOTE]

And he's finding this stuff late in the day . . .

I swear in my town this stuff is gone very early. It sucks but I have some pretty stiff competition for gaming stuff . . . probably some asshole who visits CAG :)

Actually, I think there are a few people looking for this kinda stuff . . . damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schultzed']And he's finding this stuff late in the day . . .

I swear in my town this stuff is gone very early. It sucks but I have some pretty stiff competition for gaming stuff . . . probably some asshole who visits CAG :)

Actually, I think there are a few people looking for this kinda stuff . . . damn![/QUOTE]Eh, I can almost guarantee that nobody on these forums has as much competition as I do.

You have to go to advertised yard sales an hour early to get anything, and I never find anything on craigslist unless its miscategorized in general or toys & games.

[quote name='darkslime']Eh, I can almost guarantee that nobody on these forums has as much competition as I do.

You have to go to advertised yard sales an hour early to get anything, and I never find anything on craigslist unless its miscategorized in general or toys & games.[/QUOTE]

My competition is a woman in her early 70's that somehow manages to get up, go to yardsales, and the flea market every weekend at 7:00am

She is also one of the few senior citizens I have seen that can work a computer... or atleast craigslist.

It just makes losing a sale that much worse.

[quote name='Porpoise King']My competition is a woman in her early 70's that somehow manages to get up, go to yardsales, and the flea market every weekend at 7:00am

She is also one of the few senior citizens I have seen that can work a computer... or atleast craigslist.

It just makes losing a sale that much worse.[/QUOTE]My competition is a few hundred Mexicans that buy everything and get out before the sun is up and bring it back to Nogales, 3-5 swap meet game dealers, a few eBay or craigslist resellers who I've talked to through our craigslist ads before, one collector who frequents the digital press forums, and indirectly Bookman's. Probably even more than I haven't heard about.

[quote name='darkslime']My competition is a few hundred Mexicans that buy everything and get out before the sun is up and bring it back to Nogales, 3-5 swap meet game dealers, a few eBay or craigslist resellers who I've talked to through our craigslist ads before, one collector who frequents the digital press forums, and indirectly Bookman's. Probably even more than I haven't heard about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, competition is a bummer. Especially when your area doesn't have many old games flying around (although in about 20 years I'll be able to get unlimited amounts of Wiis). But I guess you win some you lose some.

Best of luck in AZ!

[quote name='Porpoise King']My competition is a woman in her early 70's that somehow manages to get up, go to yardsales, and the flea market every weekend at 7:00am

It just makes losing a sale that much worse.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel.

There is a location I go for books where I often get great scores. It is a place with vast reserves but if someone looks just ahead, you're not gonna get the good cheap books. Pretty often I do well but sometimes I run into other book sellers (if they're ahead of me--I just leave). Anyway, there is this elderly couple (in their 70s) and sometimes they beat me out. And the woman is very aggressive . . . she'll push in right next to me and look even though I'm already there.

As I drive away, I start thinking . . . they could just die. Maybe they'll get ill or break a hip. This makes me feel bad but also happy at the same time.

[quote name='schultzed']And he's finding this stuff late in the day . . .

Actually, I think there are a few people looking for this kinda stuff . . . damn![/QUOTE]

It's always good to hit flea markets and large community sales that advertise they're going to stay open until later in the day; no one person can hit every sale in a single area and not everything video game related flies off the shelf instantly at 6 am. Some people might have their prices jacked up in the morning--but many of those people will be looking to liquidate in the afternoon.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
The biggest nothing that never happened score was a lady I've seen twice over the last few years, 1st time elsewhere and last year at her place. Both times mentioned having about 100 NES games in some drawers but she wasen't eager to go and get them and like some people do made it sound like a hassle to go get or find video games instead of taking a few minutes to get the stuff or at least take a quick look. They didn't even bother putting out an Xbox they had advertised last year IIRC lol This lady also sells at the flea market from time to time and shortly after seeing her at her yardsale last year I saw her selling at the flea market and she had a PSP & DS that were her kids but the prices were about 80-90% of what new retail was at the time so I couldn't help but think that part of the reason she wouldn't want to get the stuff was because she would probably want to try and figure out what the NES stuff was worth and would probably end up coming out the gate with a price of about $300 I would guess if it's about 100 NES games and what I was told was a system that didn't work.[/QUOTE]

I run into these too; I find it's the best policy to let resellers quietly suffer with their overpriced stock--besides, if they can't even bring it out it's obvious to me that they don't want to make a sale ;) Though sometimes dealers are useful for trading...the unfair kind where you unload a bunch of drek for a mid-range or esoteric title they don't know much about.

[quote name='schultzed']I know how you feel.

There is a location I go for books where I often get great scores. It is a place with vast reserves but if someone looks just ahead, you're not gonna get the good cheap books. Pretty often I do well but sometimes I run into other book sellers (if they're ahead of me--I just leave). Anyway, there is this elderly couple (in their 70s) and sometimes they beat me out. And the woman is very aggressive . . . she'll push in right next to me and look even though I'm already there.

As I drive away, I start thinking . . . they could just die. Maybe they'll get ill or break a hip. This makes me feel bad but also happy at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I feel the same way lol. I don't mind competition when the people are nice about it, you know friendly, shares, etc. But this lady is so pushy, arrogant, you know the deal. She goes to a sale and buys EVERYTHING, even if we are both there, wouldn't even share one console when a sale had 7 of them.

It makes me feel bad but I have the same feelings. You aren't alone :p

Sunday for me was crappy. Went to sale advertising games got there around 9:30 (it started at 9) Well I get there see one trash bag on the floor with clothes in it so I ask " Is this the only thing you are selling?"
Reply " No we put everything away it is too hot" .

Hey schultzed . Battletech books are also a good sell if you got a large lot. http://cgi.ebay.com/Battletech-Pape...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b21f7ee1
There is a used book store by me that had a bunch a few months back for .50 each I might stop by and see if they still have any left.

A weekend ago

Nintendo GameCube (Silver) w/ one main manual

3 controllers (one was original silver with console)

with Mario Golf left in the console

all for $10.00

A couple houses in my town were having a sale yesterday. Don't know why they were doing it on tuesday, but whatever.

The only house with games had a bunch of crappy sports games, an Xbox (with all packaging) and a Saturn (with a rental carry case). The systems were like $20 each. I sifted through the games, and found Toomba marked $3. Bought that and a couple CDs for $5 CIF. I'm going back at the end of the week and seeing if I can get those systems for cheap.

[quote name='TiKi2']
Hey schultzed . Battletech books are also a good sell if you got a large lot. [/QUOTE]

Battletech seems to have a big fan base . . . I've handled some of the RPG guides. Last year, I got this set a rummage sale for .50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1555600042/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I sold mine for $75 4 months ago . . . not sure why they are all lower now??? I did list all the details with my set (the mechs) and mine had some extra map sheets.

Definitely something to keep an eye out for.

[quote name='darkslime']My competition is a few hundred Mexicans that buy everything and get out before the sun is up and bring it back to Nogales, 3-5 swap meet game dealers, a few eBay or craigslist resellers who I've talked to through our craigslist ads before, one collector who frequents the digital press forums, and indirectly Bookman's. Probably even more than I haven't heard about.[/QUOTE]

Then you must be a gaming ferret given all your finds. This is why I go to the weird, unadvertised, small sales as well . . . sometimes there is a gem that others overlook.

One big downside for me is that the book stuff can take so long. So, I'm bogged down going through a a few boxes of books for 10 mins at a sale--when I should be down the road by then. I'd love to be mostly looking for games.

[quote name='schultzed']Then you must be a gaming ferret given all your finds.[/QUOTE]I'm very fast, and willing to pay more than most people because the majority of my competition doesn't sell online.

[quote name='schultzed']I know how you feel.

As I drive away, I start thinking . . . they could just die. Maybe they'll get ill or break a hip. This makes me feel bad but also happy at the same time.[/QUOTE]

FLOL, too funny. Man I wouldn't be able to stand myself getting beat by a senior citizen...you seriously need to "accidentally" check her into a bookshelf. Broken hip or whatnot and it's game over for that couple. Same with the other guy with the 70 year old great granny competitor. Next sale, just send her flying into a table of goods.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I run into these too; I find it's the best policy to let resellers quietly suffer with their overpriced stock--besides, if they can't even bring it out it's obvious to me that they don't want to make a sale ;) Though sometimes dealers are useful for trading...the unfair kind where you unload a bunch of drek for a mid-range or esoteric title they don't know much about.[/QUOTE]

God, I love doing that. Nothing quite as satisfying as sticking some greasy "Simpsons Comic Book Guy"-esque shiester with a ton of "newer" crap games (outdated sports games, anyone?) for his "ancient" obscure, rare, substantially more valuable games he's clueless about.

-----------------------------------

Also, as far as buying items/lots out of your comfort zone, yes you could get burned very badly if you have no idea about the stuff you are buying, but generally if it's being sold dirt cheap, you should be able to turn a profit.

Especially on items that have a fan base or were a fad/popular in a previous time. If you buy items like Pokemon cards, YugiOh, Dungeons and Dragons all sorts of stuff, and get them for peanuts, then you should have no problem turning a profit. The key is to lowball and get the stuff as close to free as possible.

[quote name='karkyco']FLOL, too funny. Man I wouldn't be able to stand myself getting beat by a senior citizen...you seriously need to "accidentally" check her into a bookshelf. Broken hip or whatnot and it's game over for that couple. Same with the other guy with the 70 year old great granny competitor. Next sale, just send her flying into a table of goods.[/QUOTE]

I know that they drive a good distance to get to the places (less than an hour for me but well over for them).

And I got to know their car . . . they have a disabled decal but they seem pretty able to me :)

Once, I got to thinking that if they had a flat . . . say they backed over a big nail maybe they'd get discouraged . . . but then the darkness passed and I got back to just hoping she'd break a hip (with no involvement from me).

[quote name='schultzed']Battletech seems to have a big fan base . . . I've handled some of the RPG guides. Last year, I got this set a rummage sale for .50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1555600042/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I sold mine for $75 4 months ago . . . not sure why they are all lower now??? I did list all the details with my set (the mechs) and mine had some extra map sheets.

Definitely something to keep an eye out for.[/QUOTE] We are in deflation it's only going to get worse unless the government hands out stimulus checks.

[quote name='TiKi2']We are in deflation it's only going to get worse unless the government hands out stimulus checks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but prices are always going downward on Amazon . . . periodically they bounce up like during the holidays or when there is special demand.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^^Aren't you a Sociology teacher?!:lol:[/QUOTE]

What? I can't have dark thoughts?

Yeah, its bad that I'm a college teacher running around at rummage sales all summer.

bread's done
Back