Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this for $20 at an advertised sale:

DSC01022.jpg

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Omg, the third Dino Crisis was the one that was supposed to have dinosaurs in space. You've got to tell me if it's as bad as the reviews say it was :whee: I dunno about the print run on it, but it could be worth holding onto as an xbox uncommon (maybe it could become the equivalent of Fear Effect 2 for playstation 1, sorta so-so but worth $15 to a crazy person)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't actually own an Xbox system :whistle2:# but yeah I usually hang on to games that look like they could gain value, and I definitely feel like I had heard of this game prior to the yard sale so maybe I won't let you know how good it is to play, but I'll let you know if it gains any value :)

Looks like most people did alright today on their sales! Sorry to hear for those who didnt.

Also - lude21, you're right, I was wondering where I had seen it before. I feel like an idiot! Ah well, its still worth the 10 bucks I spent on it. Thanks for letting me know!

Lake Tapps Garage sale over 100 houses were running sales

I passed on a original xbox with 10 games for $200. I passed on Black GB SP with no charger, and the battery was dead for $3. I went back later to get it and it was gone.

I saw several dj heroes complete for 360 $15-$40.

I sorted through some dvds, and books. Passed on a loose genesis system with 2 controllers.

This is what I picked up
2x copies of Heavy Rain 1 for $5 and one for $7
1 copy of Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2011 ps3 $7
RDR ps3 $7

halo 2 guide $1

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing, sealed Black Lable Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for psx......$5. Can't decide if I want to keep it or trade it away.

[quote name='shadyfozzie']Time Crisis 3 for PS2 for $1

Also, saw a mini laptop, but the guy wasn't around to ask prices, so I walked around a bit.. Some foreign guys bumps me and grabs them and holds on to both and bought them.. The mini was $50 and in pretty good condition. :([/QUOTE]

Always carry around things you're interested in, even if you're still debating.

[quote name='Potatoeman']
1001064c.jpg

First stop - small sale with some kids. Dad used to play video games a lot and had a small collection of gamecube games. He said 10 a piece but I bargained him to 5 for the zelda games, which were definitely the "jewels" of the collection.
LoZ: WW - 5
LoZ: CE - 5
LoZ: OoT/MQ - 5
[/QUOTE]

I envy you so much..... I WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES ON MY GC OR WII!!!!!! GARGLE!!!!!:hot::hot::hot:
:D

Looks like everyone had an awesome day! I went 30 minutes away to a town with an ungodly number of advertised sales. Drove to a bunch and didn't really find much. Best thing I got was a Marshall VS100 preamp for $30. Around 10am I drove back to my town to see if anything good was left. First sale I stopped at had $2 wii games & controllers, $10 wii fit board, and a broken wii. I got the wii fit and a controller, then figured I'd ask what was wrong with the wii. They said their daughter thought the Wii was a piggy bank and put a few quarters in the cd slot! So I asked how much, they said I could just have it and I said no way, gave them five bucks. Brought it home, hooked it up, turns on, boots up, now I Just have to see about those darn quarters!

Found a few good items today.

Dreamcast with 2 controllers, 3 memory things, and 4 games (Crazy Taxi and 3 more) - $20 - This kid had a Wii and a lot of other stuff, but wouldn't budge on anything except the dreamcast, wanted $40 for it.

NES with Tetris and Legacy of the Wizard - $1 - and it works! Old Lady with antiques. I noticed a pile of cords and the NES hiding under it. It was a mess and I made a comment to the garage sale "Oh wow" and she said "It's dirty, take the whole thing for $1. I couldn't help myself.
Rabbids Go Home (Wii) - $3.50
Shrek 3 (Wii), Shrek Forever After (Wii), Finding Nemo - $4
Halo, Halo 2, Halo 2 Guide, Fusion Frenzy, Perfect Dark Zero - $5

Think that's about it for today, maybe will go out tomorrow.

I'm pretty pissed off at myself right now. I bought a bootleg without thinking.

The first sale we went to at a big community sale had the Sopranos complete series, so I asked how much it was, and they were making conversation and saying it's $20.

Then my GF tells me that I need to look at the box of CDs, because it's a lot of trance music. I'm a fan of trance music, but don't actually have many CDs. So I was looking through the box and noticing that I would like to have about half of them, so I just tried to see if they would sell the box for $20 (they wanted $1 a CD, there's about 50~60) with the Sopranos for $20. The guy said no way.

I was wanting to hurry, because we actually happened to have beaten most people to that part of the sale (it's a sale with like 100+ homes), which is why I wanted the whole box instead of sorting through everything. I wanted to hit as many sales as soon as possible.

He eventually said $40 for the box of CDs, and I haggled down to $50 for the CDs and the Sopranos. It didn't occur to me as we were driving home that the Sopranos might have been bootlegs. When I got inside, I looked it over, and sure enough. Region 1, 2, 3, 28 disks, and no UPC. fuck.

Here's the CDs though:
3276979e.jpg

Food scale, NIB. GF's been wanting one, and she said that's probably the one she'd end up getting if we went to Bed Bath and Beyond. The guy wanted $10, but I managed to haggle down to $7. I tried for $5. =P
c7bbd30a.jpg

Attack, of the Killer Tomatoes! It was $2. The Zune was $5, and I hope it works. The Pokemon Tamagotchi was $0.25. Figured it was worth something, didn't expect it to be $20. And Lego Indiana Jones / Kung-Fu Panda is $2, haggled from $3. It's for GF's brother, who got a used 360 last Christmas.
990710c1.jpg

Higurashi was $1. It's $20 new, and just came out in May. The three historical fictions were $4. Lady wanted $2 each, but I think I probably should have asked for $1 each. The other two books were between $0.25 and $1. Forgot.
4e2ec614.jpg

Went to a church sale after hitting 50+ sales at the community sale. Desperate Housewives S5 was $1.50, audio book and Stronghold was $1.75 each, and the book was $0.75.
ee80719c.jpg

Not much time right now for a full autopsy but I did find some games this weekend.

Here are a few recent sales (for those looking for tips):

I stay away from older Disney books overall . . . I just don't know this stuff but when I saw this one for 50 cents, about a month ago, I bought it:

I didn't know its value but I figured the Uncle Remus angle would make it collectible. It sold this week for $50.

Craft books are a good bet especially when they have a pop culture connection and are cheap--this one was .25:

This sold for $20 (in about a week from listing) . . . I probably should have held this one . . . I bet it will be higher around the holidays . . . oh well.

Thurs morning, I hit a 3 sale cluster and saw a guy with a scanner at one . . . damn it. I headed across the street to find a pile of kids DVDs and found 5 nice Disney/Pixar titles that got for $10.

I listed the group for about $90 total. Dumbo just sold for $30.

This one was kinda funny. This was about 11am on Friday (about quitting time) and I saw a group of exercise DVDs. I tried to negotiate on some Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels workouts (they were marked $3 and really only worth about $5 or 6 on Amazon . . . if I could've gotten them for $1 a piece it would've worked but she wouldn't reduce the price. But I did get this one for .50:

I put it on Amazon for $40 and it sold within hours. I guess she figured the older DVD was worth less.

Someone (allyourblood?) a couple years ago had the change in the Wii problem. Depending on what system menu it has, you may be able to put the HBC on it without having to open it up.

[quote name='kube00']Lake Tapps Garage sale over 100 houses were running sales

I passed on a original xbox with 10 games for $200. I passed on Black GB SP with no charger, and the battery was dead for $3. I went back later to get it and it was gone.

I saw several dj heroes complete for 360 $15-$40.

I sorted through some dvds, and books. Passed on a loose genesis system with 2 controllers.

This is what I picked up
2x copies of Heavy Rain 1 for $5 and one for $7
1 copy of Cabelas Dangerous Hunts 2011 ps3 $7
RDR ps3 $7

halo 2 guide $1[/QUOTE]
Wow. You got a hell of a deal on Heavy Rain and RDR. I still have the copy of RDR I bought during a GS glitched sale, but I think there's supposed to be a GOTY edition coming out next month sometime with the original and Undead Nightmare on it.

Box of Mostly N64 Games, N64 Extras - 6

Asked about video games at the very first sale Friday, brought out a box that included what's in the picture. I offered 5 for the whole box and was countered with 6.

Non Find BS
Went out with a list of 14 sales and ended up going to 22 total. Got out just before 9 and was out for a little over 2 1/2 hours.

I did see my first Sega Genesis system of the year today, model one with cart only Sonic 1 & 2 marked $20. Only other expensive video game related thing I can remember seeing was a new Xbox 360 Kinect system bundle for $325, I'm guessing the one with the bigger hard drive since if not it was that much more over the top of a price for a yardsale.

N64 With 2 Controllers, Hookups (Hard To See In Picture) & 5 Games - 5
Sega Genesis, NES Both With 2 Controllers & Hookups (Not Seen As It's In The NES Baseball Stars II) - 2
Warcraft III With Expansion - 1

Asked about video games at a sale early on and they brought out the N64, I looked it over and offered 5 for it. The NES & Genesis were out at a sale, the wires were wrapped about the NES so I could just barely open the lid and noticed Baseball Stars II. Asked and they wanted 2, this might be the dirtiest looking Genesis 2 I've ever seen. The Warcraft III games were at the last sale of the day and were asking price.

2 ColecoVisions with 5 Controllers, Hookups For Both Systems, Steering Wheel, A Pair of Super Action Controllers, 14 Games And Some Manuals - 10

Asked about video games and ColecoVision was mentioned, brought everything out and I offered 10 for everything after looking it over.

Non Find BS
Got out at 7:45 and was out for almost 4 hours exactly. Had a list of 28 sales and got to 38 sales total. Tons of sales today, I had a list of 50 sales that I skipped since they were repeats that I've been to before including 3 Worthy sized street type sales that I've been to in previous years. All three of them seemed as if they expanded in some way (for example one was 200-800 blocks this year vs 400-800 in previous years) but I have been to a number of addresses in the added parts from previous years to most of the added streets and/or blocks so I figured it wouldn't be many new houses I've never been to and a mess trying to remember which houses I have and haven't been to before if I wanted to avoid all of the repeats to save time. Was considering stopping by them and just checking some of the added parts but decided to pass instead since I knew I'd have enough sales to keep me busy till about noon. I did stop at 2 unadvertised sales near the one street sale and took note of the addresses only to realize when I got home that they are sales I've been to before.

Pretty normal day overall, didn't see anything way overpriced and heard some of the normal lines of sold last sale or still having something and the ever popular grand kids (or insert name here) took (some old video games). I saw a sign for a sale that wasen't on my list when I was at a stop sign which mentioned cheap Playstation & Nintendo games. I find the sale and it's PS2 games I see, asking it was NDS games that all sold on Friday and IIRC that and some Wii games were the only video games I was told about missing all day.

A sale a few weeks ago a lady mentioned her kids who would have games to get rid of and told me the corner she lived on and I ran into her today and she recogized me. She apologized as she was wrong and they didn't want to get rid of anything, it was a repeat sale on a corner with some other new sales (got the ColecoVision right by here). I wasen't surprised at all with the outcome as I remembered asking about games at this house a few years ago only to be told that Jr didn't want to part with anything, I think it was N64 or maybe even SNES related mentioned when I was at this sale before.

The sale I got the NES & Genesis at I was told about a box of games or something of the likes but they didn't know were it was if it was still around. Across the street I was told about an Atari but it sounded like it was lost in the basement or they just weren't motivated to round it up and sell so I didn't press the issue. Another house a lady mentions an old Nintendo that didn't work and I said I'd still be interested if she wanted to sell it only to be told afterwards that it was her daughter's and she wouldn't want to sell it without asking her. Last but not least a guy mentioned something "Nintendo" with what sounded like it could have been a nice sized lot of games in the garage. He goes and looks for about 5 minutes only to come back and tell me he couldn't find it. Asked me to come back at 1 since they would at least be doing the sale till then. He had a Droid handy so I instead offered to give him my e-mail and to e-mail me later if he found anything as not to make a trip for nothing at 1 and it looks to be falling flat like usual :D

Cool finds! That Saturn lot is amazing!

I am going to start putting my pics in spoilers for now on, just so they don't take up a whole page. ;)

Schultzed, you would have made a killing if you were with me today. This guy buys storage lockers and had about 1,000 CDs. I didn't have the energy to go through them, since he had 3,000 comics as well (and since it was 92 degrees). I did look at some of the books and I pulled a comic related one that I knew was worth money, but I could tell no scanners made it out there (this was day 3 / last day of the sale).

The guy was pretty cool and he told me he collects old video games too. I didn't tell him about CAG, since I am going to be posting stuff I bought from him! :D

Agreed on that saturn lot! I've only seen 1 saturn system at a yard sale, and the guy said he'd sold all his games the week before. Anyway, opened up the wii and saw this :cold:

IMG_20110604_173302.jpg

$2.25 later, the Wii was up and running! :D

Wife went thursday and friday by herself and got some amazing things.... then we went together today and found some pretty cool things. first we will start with my finds for today:

101_0696.jpg

FFXI- 25 CENTS, Naruto - $1, ICO - $5 (more than i wanted to spend :cry:)

101_0697.jpg

AC 360 -$1, Sims 2 psp -25 Cents, Sega Genesis 16 bit - 25 Cents

101_0698.jpg

PS ONE - 25 Cents

101_0699.jpg

Nes Games - 50 Cents a piece

101_0701.jpg

Odyssey2 in Box with all chords (even video adapter) and 10 games - $7

101_0702.jpg

Now for hers:

101_0703.jpg

FF8, VAGRANT STORY - $2 A PIECE, Mario Kart and Mario is missing - $1 a piece, other 4 games were $1 a piece.

101_0705.jpg

9 NES Games CIB - $2 a piece (first 9 in picture)

101_0706.jpg

$1 a piece on these..

Who made out the best???

Edit (For got to add my find from Thursday)
101_0707.jpg

101_0708.jpg

101_0709.jpg

Both systems and 30 Games for - $7

[quote name='elessar123']He eventually said $40 for the box of CDs[/QUOTE]

So, you only paid $10 for the bootleg DVDs . . . not a total loss.

Have you looked up any of the CDs . . . a few gems could cover the whole cost.

Missed a CL advertised sale that had everything from NES to PS2. Pretty pissed at myself because I was on the side of town it was being held... Should have checked CL with my phone. Oh well still managed to get some video game and non video game related stuff. Pictures forthcoming.

Oh, yeah, forgot, I got a Midwest Aero-Star .40 for $15. Hoping that brings in some cash.

No finds for me this weekend; it was the weekend for my yard sale with all the stuff I found in the storage units I bought last week. So I thought since some of you guys were kind of following the storage auctions I'd give you the 'end of the show' wrap up of what I got for all that stuff, and how I ended this weekend with an empty garage ready for the next round of auctions:

To recap: Bought 3 storage units for a total of $440 invested.

Income from the 3 units:

Scrap Metal: 261.00
5000 btu window A/c (CL) 40.00
Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine (CL) 500.00
6' diameter agricultural water tank (CL) 75.00
Maytag Washing Machine (CL) 150.00
GE refridgerator (CL) 75.00
collectibles sold on ebay 272.03
weekend yard sale 511.50
Total sales 1884.53

so initial profit of 1444.53. now expenses:

Dumpster rental (only half full and I can keep it as long as I need, so it'll be here until the next round of auctions on the 15th) -185.00

Tank of gas for a day of unloading the units: -55.00

fee for disposing of partially used paint cans -8.00

Advertising for yardsale -28.10

misc ebay fees. uh. yeah.

yard sale leftovers divided between freecycle and others dropped off at goodwill.

so down to about 1168.43 and the only thing I have left from the 3 units is a large ceramic kiln, which I'm still a little lost on if it's working and good for sale or not. seems to need a 220 power source, but I don't have a cord for it. It'll take some more investigating.

[quote name='schultzed']So, you only paid $10 for the bootleg DVDs . . . not a total loss.

Have you looked up any of the CDs . . . a few gems could cover the whole cost.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not so much the loss, but the fact that I absolutely detest giving money to bootleggers. I knew I came out ahead, cause it's still less than $1 a CD.

I checked maybe half the CDs in the box. Unfortunetely, the ones I want to keep are the ones worth money. Just the dozen Tiesto CDs in there are worth over $100. One of the Sasha & Digweed CDs is still sealed, and it sold in England for GBP 40, in like new condition. I'm super tempted to sell it, but Sasha is the reason I started liking trance. Another CD I already have, and it's apparently about $10 too.

Most of the CDs I didn't want, of course, are only like $1-$4 a piece.

If I changed my mind and sold everything instead of keeping them, I'd say it'd be at least $350.

Edit: In case anyone's curious, I like progressive trance/house.

Edit 3: Deleted Edit 2 cause I'm a retard =P I looked up the wrong CD. The one I have is the one on ebay, not the $174.49 one that's on Amazon.

1001059s.jpg

Although they were expensive(relatively), I think I made out pretty well at my last sale. I had been spending a lot so(I bought non-video related crap as well), so I decided to end on a good note.

Castlevania: SotN GH, no insert - $12
MGS 1 Longbox - $10
MMX7 - $10
Arcana Heart - $10
.hack Mutation - $10
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis -$10 Sealed!

All in all, $100 or so for video games today. Jeeze!
1001064c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Where did that MGS long box come from? I remember launch and it only had the dual disc box. Is that an import or something ? I thought at that point that they had long left the long boxes behind...

Finds for today 6/4. Hot and humid all freaking day...jeez

DSCN1044.jpg

GBA was $1 but doesn't have a battery cover and looks like a dog chewed on it, but it works fine.

HP books were $8 for the lot.

I did did great today.

$23 for all, with GS base trade in listed with them.

Okami - Wii - $8
Madhouse - Wii - $2
WarioWare Smooth Moves - Wii - $6
Monopoly Streets - PS3 - $15
Katamari Forever - PS3 - $10
Heavenly Sword - PS3 - $5

And with GS 50% + PUR 10% I'm getting $73.60.

[quote name='dasme313']Looks like everyone had an awesome day! I went 30 minutes away to a town with an ungodly number of advertised sales. Drove to a bunch and didn't really find much. Best thing I got was a Marshall VS100 preamp for $30. Around 10am I drove back to my town to see if anything good was left. First sale I stopped at had $2 wii games & controllers, $10 wii fit board, and a broken wii. I got the wii fit and a controller, then figured I'd ask what was wrong with the wii. They said their daughter thought the Wii was a piggy bank and put a few quarters in the cd slot! So I asked how much, they said I could just have it and I said no way, gave them five bucks. Brought it home, hooked it up, turns on, boots up, now I Just have to see about those darn quarters![/QUOTE]

Haha damn, that's pretty sick. I got a Wii from an idiot friend once who "bricked it pirating games," for $10. So I turn it on and it works fine. lol

Went out for the first time looking for video games stuff today. Think I did pretty ok, you guys let me know.

Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2 - 10$ for the lot (Think I overpayed just a bit on these. 7$ would
Zelda Four Swords GBA have been better, but I don't think I could have got that.)

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/sweetheartsemiformal/IMG_20110604_140317.jpg -Got this whole lot for 7$

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/sweetheartsemiformal/IMG_20110604_155651.jpg?t=1307217469 Got this for free, along with a monitor, some software and a printer, all apple. The software seems to sell for a lot, I have it up on eBay already, and so is the gameboy and IIc.

Harry Potter 1-6 Hardcover (Pretty much brand new) - 8$ for all

I know I can flip the books easy squeezy, and SMA 2 already sold on Amazon for 7, what do you think I can expect for the rest?

And how do you guys think is the better way to maximize your profit: Amazon piece by piece or eBay as a lot?

[quote name='elessar123']
I'm super tempted to sell it, but Sasha is the reason I started liking trance. Another CD I already have, and it's apparently about $10 too.

[/QUOTE]

Wow I haven't heard those names for a while. They were big when I lived in the UK. Paul Van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold were popular DJs too. I know this is a different genre (drum&bass), but I am busting out my grooverider CDs tonight!

[quote name='slowdive21']Wow I haven't heard those names for a while. They were big when I lived in the UK. Paul Van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold were popular DJs too. I know this is a different genre (drum&bass), but I am busting out my grooverider CDs tonight![/QUOTE]

Hehe, the other CDs in the lot include Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, Chemical Brothers, Armin van Buuren (including an e=mc2 cd), ATB, Fatboy Slim...

Then there's some random bands, with the highlight being the Cardigans.

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']Unfortunately, I don't actually own an Xbox system :whistle2:# but yeah I usually hang on to games that look like they could gain value, and I definitely feel like I had heard of this game prior to the yard sale so maybe I won't let you know how good it is to play, but I'll let you know if it gains any value :)[/QUOTE]

Dang, well here's to you finding an original xbox console for $10. I got one for free after flips and I've been thinking about turning it into a primitive music station (my playstations never seem to read CDs well, but the xbox allows you to rip the song so there's no laser tracking issues). The console itself is like hauling a cinder block around, so I can't see how folks make money selling them online (which is a good fact to keep in mind when negotiating a purchase).

IMG00102-20110604-2105.jpg

Genesis (Not pictured are the connections and 2 controllers also 2 NES controllers) No Punch Out in the box but already got the game so now it's complete. Sonic has a little anti-violence card in it. Didn't haggle on this because it was the first video game related thing I saw all day.
Paid- $10

IMG00103-20110604-2108.jpg

A quarter. Not much else to say about this.

Now this is a Midwest Aero-Star .40, bought it for $15 anybody know how much this is worth? Looks complete but not sure. Wanted to try Craigslist first or should I just try the Ebay route?
IMG00104-20110604-2121.jpg

[quote name='baz8771']Went out for the first time looking for video games stuff today. Think I did pretty ok, you guys let me know.

Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2 - 10$ for the lot (Think I overpayed just a bit on these. 7$ would
Zelda Four Swords GBA have been better, but I don't think I could have got that.)

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/sweetheartsemiformal/IMG_20110604_140317.jpg -Got this whole lot for 7$

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/sweetheartsemiformal/IMG_20110604_155651.jpg?t=1307217469 Got this for free, along with a monitor, some software and a printer, all apple. The software seems to sell for a lot, I have it up on eBay already, and so is the gameboy and IIc.

Harry Potter 1-6 Hardcover (Pretty much brand new) - 8$ for all

I know I can flip the books easy squeezy, and SMA 2 already sold on Amazon for 7, what do you think I can expect for the rest?

And how do you guys think is the better way to maximize your profit: Amazon piece by piece or eBay as a lot?[/QUOTE]

The current values on the Super Mario Advance(s) look low to me; there's probably more copies floating around online with Gamestop no longer accepting trade-ins. I'd park those gba games around $12-15 each + shipping and sit on them.

Now for the original Gameboy, I'd say a bundle is the way to go--it probably would fetch $35 (based on the kirby and zelda pack-ins) if you list at the right time.

Today was a great day for me. I got...

A Gamecube in like new condition WITH the original packaging in like new condotion+3 controllers+ Super Mario Sunshine(like new) + Animal Crossing (like new) all for $20 at one house. (the gamecube had Crash Tag team racing in it lol) At the the same house I wasted a buck on Guitar Hero 3 for the PC (My PC is terrible and can't run games well... at all. I just wanted it to have it)

At a diffrent house I got Spyro the dragon, Crash Bandicoot 2, and Gran Turismo 2 for $6

And my biggest score... A Mad Catz Xbox 360 Wheel for $3 in great condition. I think I can get like $40 for it.

[quote name='elessar123']Hehe, the other CDs in the lot include Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, Chemical Brothers, Armin van Buuren (including an e=mc2 cd), ATB, Fatboy Slim...

Then there's some random bands, with the highlight being the Cardigans.[/QUOTE]

Often at sales, there are a few good CDs mixed in with the common dreck.

I was a fan of ambient/trance in the 90s . . . I liked this collection a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Lan...88D6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307277495&sr=8-2

Personally, I'd rip (and backup) the most valuable CDs and sell em off :) But I have totally given up collecting pretty much anything.

Taking the kids to Six Flags Great America today, so my pics have to wait :whistle2:(

I have a story . . . a few weeks ago, my daughter (9) played Mario Kart wii at her friend's house. I held out buying it thinking I'd find a deal on it someday.

Well, we got the idea that we could get it for my wife's birthday (which is Tue.). My wife doesn't game much but was a big fan of Mario Kart back in the day. So, I broke down and ordered it (with an extra wheel) on Amazon for $48 total). It came on Fri.

So, yesterday I pick it up a sale for $2 (a few bucks extra for a bag of accessories with two wheels) . . . fuck

Now, what to do? My wife won't care if its used.

If I had bought it at a store, I could just return the new one but with Amazon (and the heavy package) . . . I'm probably out $10 on a return. I could sell off the used game or the new one . . .

Why couldn't it have been last week that I found it :)

I'm leaning toward keeping the new game and 4 wheels (I have 4 wiimotes) and sell off the used game only for $20-25.

Saturday game finds 7 community sales (insane) visited at least 100 but at lightning speed (hate that as I know a bunch was missed) competition was insane and felt a lil more rude than usual (but with sooo many sales, rudeness gets multilplied...) sadly all opened at 8.

002-1.jpg

asked $25, paid $20

001.jpg

PPeach/GBA Emerald $7 (paid asking, ladies had a laptop and were discussing Ebay) :roll: left a bunch that were overpriced
Heavenly Sword/KH II $5 asking $7
PC World of Goo sealed $1
Wii SSMB/Zelda/MP8 $20 asking $30 (lol lil guy was tough!) 2 are going to GS today (if TIVs held up from yesterday)
XBox Munch/Obi $2
XBox SWKOTR2 $1 Bbuster case/no manual asking $5 but he took it after stating none of his games had sold (all overprice)
Fable guide $.25
SW guide $.50
Zelda guide $.50 found right after the game!

Also bought a Nikon digital camera (Coolpix L1) complete $5

and 15 beatup old HW redlines for $1.50!

and 3 bikes, with one mountain board, etc...etc...

damn if Only 1 of those community sales would have started at 7.... felt sorry for all the single sales and even some of the community sales...haedly any traffic at many...I would have stayed out later than noon but almost all were closing up their respective sales...

passed on a couple $10 Xboxes and some over priced GBA SPs and of course, games...

Well, I drove ALL the way back to the town from yesterday. It was pretty worthwhile though.. I dropped by some more sales..

1001093b.jpg
First stop back at the guys house I bought the PS1 games from. Picked up Devil Summoner for $5 after I told him I drove all the way back just for it! The case is a bit dinged up but the insides and disc are perfect.

1001090c.jpg

I passed through some other sales and found some games after finding nothing but crap. Among some guys old games and $40 consoles, I picked these up.

PS1 gameshark still in box(seal cut but not removed) - $1
Steambot Chronicles - $2
Conker's Bad Fur Day - $2

1001088c.jpg

On one of my last stops I saw a sign advertising star wars memorabilia.
I stopped by and snagged the above for $15 total, despite everything having an advertised price.

Now, I know about and loath super star wars. The radio dramas I grabbed because they were sealed and very good condition.

But... I dont know what they're worth or how they sell. They're sealed and in great condition, but does anyone here have any insight on Star Wars stuff? I checked amazon and saw $35 or so for both of them, but I figure someone here would know about this stuff.

They had some awesome star wars stuff but I had already spent enough for the day, so I decided to grab what looked best.
They even had the lego darth vader technic. Looking on amazon, why the HELL didnt I buy that?! Ah well

1001088c.jpg

On one of my last stops I saw a sign advertising star wars memorabilia.
I stopped by and snagged the above for $15 total, despite everything having an advertised price.

Now, I know about and loath super star wars. The radio dramas I grabbed because they were sealed and very good condition.

But... I dont know what they're worth or how they sell. They're sealed and in great condition, but does anyone here have any insight on Star Wars stuff? I checked amazon and saw $35 or so for both of them, but I figure someone here would know about this stuff.

They had some awesome star wars stuff but I had already spent enough for the day, so I decided to grab what looked best.
They even had the lego darth vader technic. Looking on amazon, why the HELL didnt I buy that?! Ah well[/QUOTE]

The Radio dramas were from NPR. They are basically an audio performance of portions of the movies with some different actors. They are cassettes if I remember correctly.

2d8173t.jpg

[Bigger picture

Forgot I had picked that up for $2. It's a Petra Cabot design Hamilton Skotch Cooler everything is tin (I guess). I was reading up apparently the design came out in the 50's. But was wondering if any one would know if it's a reproduction of some kind?

[quote name='JediKiller24']No finds for me this weekend; it was the weekend for my yard sale with all the stuff I found in the storage units I bought last week. So I thought since some of you guys were kind of following the storage auctions I'd give you the 'end of the show' wrap up of what I got for all that stuff, and how I ended this weekend with an empty garage ready for the next round of auctions:

To recap: Bought 3 storage units for a total of $440 invested.

Income from the 3 units:

Scrap Metal: 261.00
5000 btu window A/c (CL) 40.00
Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine (CL) 500.00
6' diameter agricultural water tank (CL) 75.00
Maytag Washing Machine (CL) 150.00
GE refridgerator (CL) 75.00
collectibles sold on ebay 272.03
weekend yard sale 511.50
Total sales 1884.53

so initial profit of 1444.53. now expenses:

Dumpster rental (only half full and I can keep it as long as I need, so it'll be here until the next round of auctions on the 15th) -185.00

Tank of gas for a day of unloading the units: -55.00

fee for disposing of partially used paint cans -8.00

Advertising for yardsale -28.10

misc ebay fees. uh. yeah.

yard sale leftovers divided between freecycle and others dropped off at goodwill.

so down to about 1168.43 and the only thing I have left from the 3 units is a large ceramic kiln, which I'm still a little lost on if it's working and good for sale or not. seems to need a 220 power source, but I don't have a cord for it. It'll take some more investigating.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of scrap metal have you encountered? I know copper and brass can be worth messing with but I don't know much about ferrous materials (iron, steel, etc.)

It sounds like you have a great business model though to clear out your space that fast and have yourself all set for the next round of storage units :bouncy:

Wow, lots of people posting great finds this week. Here's my stuff:

Dscn6470.jpg

:gc: Crazy Taxi, Pac-Man World 2 / Pac-Man Vs., Pokemon Stadium
All complete, each $1.
Game Gear: Sonic Chaos - $.25

This was my only other find, the following were all in a bin which I paid $15 for. I really just wanted the SNES games but I correctly assumed I could get a better deal buying the whole thing.

Dscn6471.jpg

SNES games
Street Fighter 2 - Gradius III - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Super Mario World - Yoshi's Island - Home Alone 2
NBA Jam - Liberty Or Death - NHLPA Hockey

These were in awful condition. Some looked like they had been stored in a chimney...also they had marker on them. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really do work as well as everyone says.

Dscn6473.jpg

N64 Games
Mia Hamm Soccer - NBA Live 99 - NFL Blitz 2000
Pokemon Stadium - WWF Mayhem - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
All Star Baseball 2001 - WWF No Mercy

Pretty crappy selection of games really...Haven't cleaned them yet.

Dscn6475.jpg

Random Accessories
:ps2: Guncon 2, PS2-to-Gamecube controller adapter (weird)
N64: 2 jumper paks (yay), RF adapter, power brick
Genesis: 3rd party ProPad controller
Also some kind of mysterious PS2 thing near the 2 jumper paks.

The mysterious PS2 thing is an adapter for a Zenith universal remote. I actually needed a new remote, and I got one of those at Gamestop for $2, you can program it for use with your TV and use it as a PS2 DVD remote. It's this:
DSCI0013.jpg

Also, that PS2-Gamecube adapter is kinda cool :0

Neuro, nice find on "Liberty or Death" I've been looking for that one for awhile now. :drool: Looks like everyone is having a good weekend. I have a few finds but the post will have to be later; it's the last day of my vacation and I have to catch up on the work I intended to do all week. #-o

[quote name='N3UROP0D']These were in awful condition. Some looked like they had been stored in a chimney...also they had marker on them. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers really do work as well as everyone says.[/QUOTE]

SNES games in rough shape? I can relate to that, just looking at your picture I was thinking that poor copy of Yoshi's Island could have been with the SNES games I found last weekend. These folks should be paying us to take these games away as punishment for taking such poor care of good games :D

Here's to hoping that the batteries ain't dead in the SNES games with them!

003.jpg

$10 Got Me --

1. Silver Gameboy Pocket
  2. Clear Purple Gameboy Color
  3. Car Charger
  4. Screen Magnifying Glass
  5. wall outlet charger/ Battery pack
  6. Trading Cable
  7. Button protector
  8. Mole Mania
  9. 7 clear protective game cases
  10. Pokemon: Blue
  11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  12. Mario Golf
  13. Donkey Kong Country
  14. Donkey Kong Land 3
  15. Tetris
  16. Tetris Attack
  17. Kirby's Block Ball
  18. Kirby's Pinball Land
  19. Tomb Raider
  20. Taz-Mania
  21. Game & Watch Gallery
  22. Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly
  23. Disney's Pinocchio

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of scrap metal have you encountered? I know copper and brass can be worth messing with but I don't know much about ferrous materials (iron, steel, etc.)

It sounds like you have a great business model though to clear out your space that fast and have yourself all set for the next round of storage units :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I've been hauling scrap metal to the scrap yard for a long time. I started with collecting aluminum cans. scrap metal prices fluctuate all the time. here are some prices from my last scrap run:
aluminum (this goes for cans, aluminum sheet, poles, etc) .52/lb (aluminum is up right now, so grab all the cans you see :))
electric motors (for example you can pull motors out of ceiling and floor fans, anything like that) .16/lb (that was a little lower then it has been)
my local scrap place takes batteries (car/marine, etc) at .12/lb
and then anything that is ferrous is labeled white goods at 11.05/hundred weight (so you get $11.05 for every hundred pounds) In this category you have stuff like refridgerators, washing machines, dryers, microwaves, water heaters, basically any appliance, anything that a magnet sticks to little bits of metal, nails, screw, anything. This is the sort of stuff that I just load up the back of my pick up truck with as much as I can pile on. They have a scale to drive over, they weigh the truck, then you unload it, and go over the scale again.
copper and brass, deffinately worht more then all the above, but I haven't taken a load of copper in a while so I don't have a current price. I tend to get copper pipes in small pieces, so I keep it in a 5 gal bucket until I get a full bucket and have a nice payday from that. Another good source of copper is electrical wires. When you scrap a fridge or any kind of electrical gadget, cut the cord off and keep that seperate. The downside of that is in order to get the most $ for it, you have to get the insulation off, and that is a lot of work. I have yet to find a good way to that, short of cutting a bit at the top, then pulling with 2 pliers. (yeah, you can burn it off, but that changes the color of the copper, so they know you did that, and since burning that stuff goes against pollution laws in most places, it is greatly frowned upon)
so anyway, it's a bit of work, sorting out the metals and what not, but if you have a place to stockpile it until you have a truck load, then it's worth it.
One tip I have for a want-to-be scrapper is to watch the free section on craigslist, or check for a freecycle yahoo group for your city. I find a lot of people that have used, often not working appliances that they are willing to give away to anyone that will come take them. I always respond to those ads and have picked up lots of appliances and taken them straight to the scrap yard. for a full size fridge I usually get between $23 and $30, so it's some quick gas money for the truck. (it's very convenient that there is a gas station on the corner right next to the scrap yard here!)

anyway, yeah, my business model is to get a few lockers at a time, fill my garage, sort through the stuff and sell it off as quick as possible. I have the benefit of living in FL where we have yard sales all year. The big stuff gets listed on craigslit, collectibles and small stuff gets listed on ebay, general items get put out at a yardsale, and I watch what people look at. If there's stuff at the yard sale that no one looks and it gets no attention, then that's the stuff I dump for free. if it's relatively good stuff that I think someone could use, then it goes to Goodwill (for a receipt for tax deductions!) and stuff that's a little more worn gets advertised on freecycle. Never had a problem getting someone to take away a load of yardsale leftovers on freecycle...it goes real quick when you put that ad up.
I did keep 3 plastic totes of stuff that I thought was worth saving for another yard sale. For example, one of the units I got last week had a lot of christmas stuff. some was junk to me...tangled lights etc. but there was some really nice stuff, some stuff that was new in box, and more collectible type stuff. I packed one tote full of good stuff to keep for a yardsale in november when it will sell better. there was some smaller stuff that didn't sell at the yardsale (some glass figurines, etc) that I will try listing on ebay.
Another key part of the business plan is dumpster rentals. There is always a lot of trash, and where I live there is a limit on curb side trash collection, so a dumpster rental works well for me
always happy to talk storage auctions, scrapping, whatever...going from doing this as a hobby to full time so I can keep my schedule open to take care of my dad as he needs more and more doctor visits and help at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back