Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='allyourblood']I've never had the actual cartridge to try it, and I can't get into emulation very much; for some reason, I can't bring myself to play through ROMs. [/QUOTE]

I'm the exact same way. If I've got a rom, I can't seem to play it for more than an hour at the most. Many of them I'll play for five minutes before trashing it. But, if I've got an actual cartridge in my actual system, I'll play it for way longer.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I'm the exact same way. If I've got a rom, I can't seem to play it for more than an hour at the most. Many of them I'll play for five minutes before trashing it. But, if I've got an actual cartridge in my actual system, I'll play it for way longer.[/QUOTE]

I'm also the same way. Although, I've been considering making a tabletop emulation station similar to this one so it doesn't feel as awkward as using an Xbox 360 controller on my PC.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']allyourblood has never played Earthbound? It's a solid RPG, my favorite part though is being able to travel to all the different (wacky) locations by bus in a modern setting. Next you should look for the strategy guide (it's big 'n' green).[/QUOTE]

While the modern setting is cool, I found it to have one of the most boring battle systems in RPG history. I spent about five hours with the game and in that whole span I never got another party member. Every single battle went something like:

Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power - Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power (now I'm out of PP because you're not given very much at all) - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Win.

There wasn't really anything tactical at all. Totally bored the crap out of me and made me realize that I should probably skip any RPG that offers a "Auto" option in battle. The modern setting doesn't really lend much to battles either - yeah it's cool that my weapon is a baseball bat, but without animations that baseball bat might as well be a sword.

I don't know, I really like parts of the game, but I loathe the battle system.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I can't remember if the guide came in the big box[/QUOTE]

It did and assuming the store I bought it from wasen't charging over retail (I doubt it) it retailed for 59.99.

[quote name='FOnewearl']It did and assuming the store I bought it from wasen't charging over retail (I doubt it) it retailed for 59.99.[/QUOTE]

No, in fact, for the time, Earthbound was released at a discounted price. That type of game with the guide and packaging it came in, would typically have sold for closer to $79.99 or more, but Nintendo apparently decided to lower the price to make the game more accessible.

[quote name='allyourblood']No, in fact, for the time, Earthbound was released at a discounted price. That type of game with the guide and packaging it came in, would typically have sold for closer to $79.99 or more, but Nintendo apparently decided to lower the price to make the game more accessible.[/QUOTE]

I think it also had to do with the cost of making cart games being cheaper for Nintendo vs 3rd party publishers & it would also make more sense to not try and push the retail price of Earthbound since it wasen't a known and liked series in the US when it came out. I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.

Knight of The Round (EBgames, 64.99 I'd guess over retail)
Street Fighter II (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Final Fantasy III (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Other RPGs 69.99 (over retail? I don't remember but probably not)

While I remember getting A Link To The Past at EBgames for 54.99 and I'm guessing it was $5 over retail. I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

I passed on Beyond The Beyond on the Playstation when it came out but was waiting for Suikoden since it was the first RPG I was interested in playing on the Playstation and bought it when I first saw it at Circuit City for 42.99 and that felt like a cheap ass deal back then after being weened on RPGs being $70 a pop on the SNES or Phantasy Star IV (Not including Mystic Quest).

[quote name='FOnewearl']I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Secret of Mana came out at $129.99; not 100% though

[quote name='FOnewearl']I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the guide was included in order to keep the US audience from becoming frustrated at the game. Nintendo felt they couldn't release it without it and still appeal to a wider audience than the average RPG at the time.

[quote name='Doomstink']While the modern setting is cool, I found it to have one of the most boring battle systems in RPG history. I spent about five hours with the game and in that whole span I never got another party member. Every single battle went something like:

Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power - Bash - Bash - Bash - PSI Power (now I'm out of PP because you're not given very much at all) - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Bash - Win.

There wasn't really anything tactical at all. Totally bored the crap out of me and made me realize that I should probably skip any RPG that offers a "Auto" option in battle. The modern setting doesn't really lend much to battles either - yeah it's cool that my weapon is a baseball bat, but without animations that baseball bat might as well be a sword.

I don't know, I really like parts of the game, but I loathe the battle system.[/QUOTE]

Aww, see there you didn't give it a chance. I would be the equivalent of me playing a Dragon Warrior game and quitting because the blue slimes were too monotonous. The strategy comes into play when you start running into the higher level enemies that are designed to kill you (for instance the first Persona had an auto-battle system but it wasn't something to rely upon when going against enemies with light and dark insta-death spells).

Anyhow, Earthbound is really at its best when you have a full party with a wider combat selection (bottlerockets!) and the times you're trying to live in battles against subterranean dinosaurs with your limited supply of magical pudding.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I think it also had to do with the cost of making cart games being cheaper for Nintendo vs 3rd party publishers & it would also make more sense to not try and push the retail price of Earthbound since it wasen't a known and liked series in the US when it came out. I don't remember any other SNES games off hand that came with a guide like Earthbound but I do remember other games being really expensive new that I got years ago.

Knight of The Round (EBgames, 64.99 I'd guess over retail)
Street Fighter II (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Final Fantasy III (EBgames, 79.99 Surely over retail)
Other RPGs 69.99 (over retail? I don't remember but probably not)

While I remember getting A Link To The Past at EBgames for 54.99 and I'm guessing it was $5 over retail. I would agree that buying an RPG like Earthbound for $59.99 was priced cheap compared to other RPGs at the time and if it was sold in a regular box with a manual I would guess that it would have been 49.99.

I passed on Beyond The Beyond on the Playstation when it came out but was waiting for Suikoden since it was the first RPG I was interested in playing on the Playstation and bought it when I first saw it at Circuit City for 42.99 and that felt like a cheap ass deal back then after being weened on RPGs being $70 a pop on the SNES or Phantasy Star IV (Not including Mystic Quest).[/QUOTE]

I remember getting Robotrek SNES as a birthday present from Toys R Us. The price? $80. It's really amazing that new videogames have become more affordable since then (many in the $30-50 range) considering the effects of inflation and all. An older friend of mine remembers the days of Atari and Intellivision when a lot of people on minimum wage would be hard-pressed to buy even a single game, much less the system and everything to go with it.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Aww, see there you didn't give it a chance. I would be the equivalent of me playing a Dragon Warrior game and quitting because the blue slimes were too monotonous. The strategy comes into play when you start running into the higher level enemies that are designed to kill you (for instance the first Persona had an auto-battle system but it wasn't something to rely upon when going against enemies with light and dark insta-death spells).

Anyhow, Earthbound is really at its best when you have a full party with a wider combat selection (bottlerockets!) and the times you're trying to live in battles against subterranean dinosaurs with your limited supply of magical pudding.[/QUOTE]

A game should be compelling and fun from the get-go. It's bad design to make a player work to get to the fun. Like I said, I didn't hate the game, I played it for five hours and I really tried to get to a point where the battle system would become fun, it never did. I'm pretty sure I was close to getting another party member (Paula, right?), but I just couldn't push myself to get there. Its the same reason I don't play MMOs, everyone always talks about how great it is when you get to the highest level... it should be fun from the start. End of story.

I think the charm of the setting is what kept me for those five hours, and the entire reason I still want to go back.

[quote name='Doomstink']While the modern setting is cool, I found it to have one of the most boring battle systems in RPG history. I spent about five hours with the game and in that whole span I never got another party member. Every single battle went something like:

I don't know, I really like parts of the game, but I loathe the battle system.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was excited about this game before it came out. I bought it at release . . . I think that Nintendo Power had a $10 off coupon . . . so maybe it was $50ish. Anyway, I hated this game . . . thought the concept and art was cool but couldn't stand to play it. I sold it off for $40 (I think it was in 1997) just before Ebay came into being . . . A mint and complete copy. Damn I want that back.

No yardsales yet in my area. There was an estate sale (run by an estate-sale company) across the street from me this weekend. They were very busy yesterday so I didn't get over until today. I knew there wouldn't be much of interest because it was an old lady (nice neighbor, died of cancer). :whistle2:(

Anyway, I did find a box full of 100 brand-new replacement DVD cases (full size ones). The guy took $1 for it.

PLEASE dont do that stupid "reserved" crap. Just post your finds in the current page that the thread is at. If the thread is on page 8 by the time you find something, noone is gonna check out page 4 to see what you got

Still off season in jersey, but stumbled across an unadvertised sale
Rifled through a box of CD's and pulled these out.
Box was marked .50 each, in all I got the 14 games and 19 CD's for -$10
No haggleing or anything, when I had my stacks picked out & was ready to go the lady just looked at the pile and said - gimmee $10

img1211sp.jpg

By snotknocker at 2011-02-26

img1212t.jpg

Snagged an atomic red Nintendo 64 system today with controller, wires, and memory expansion pack for $2. Had a bunch of stickers on it, but some peeling and rubbing alcohol made it look like brand new:D

a truly unbeliveable find yesterday at the local Goodwill!! DSi in great condition although no accessories for only $4.99. at first it appeared to not be functional but completely fixed within 5 min after getting it home. :D

[quote name='snotknocker']Still off season in jersey, but stumbled across an unadvertised sale
No haggleing or anything, when I had my stacks picked out & was ready to go the lady just looked at the pile and said - gimmee $10

img1211sp.jpg

img1212t.jpg

By snotknocker at 2011-02-26[/QUOTE]

Good to see you back, bud.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I remember getting Robotrek SNES as a birthday present from Toys R Us. The price? $80. It's really amazing that new videogames have become more affordable since then (many in the $30-50 range) considering the effects of inflation and all. An older friend of mine remembers the days of Atari and Intellivision when a lot of people on minimum wage would be hard-pressed to buy even a single game, much less the system and everything to go with it.[/QUOTE]

Only items of necessity keep up with true inflation, food and energy etc. I bought NBA JAM for genesis at a sale. It had the receipt inside . The game cost $59.99 in 93-94. That is $92 in todays money. But the price of games have also come down because of the advances in manufacturing. Disc vs. Hardware packed cart.

[quote name='snotknocker']Still off season in jersey, but stumbled across an unadvertised sale

img1211sp.jpg

img1212t.jpg

By snotknocker at 2011-02-26[/QUOTE]

Nice find.
Good old Bloody Roar:drool:

was out yardsaling, got a bunch of books on the cheap, went to the flea market (cross posting from the pickup thread cause I'm excited about this)

S15sl.jpg

Megaman X5
Megaman X6
Megaman X4
Meg Man 8 Aniiversary Collectors Edition (though I think this is game only)
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2

All, except maybe 8, complete.

[quote name='doodmandood']WAIT A SECOND!

This looks like something from PA![/QUOTE]

I posted it there too. Got Mega Man 8 exchanged for Klonoa, unfortunately the book is in abysmal condition and severe water damage. tempted to just throw the book away

Seriously, it's got mold from water damage.

I have passed up many mega man ps1 games. I didn't realize they were worth something...I only thought the NES ones were collectible. I'll have to see if I have any of these lying around!

[quote name='slowdive21']I have passed up many mega man ps1 games. I didn't realize they were worth something...I only thought the NES ones were collectible. I'll have to see if I have any of these lying around![/QUOTE]
Tron bonne and MML2 is pretty much the games that will net you a good amount everything else not really.

[quote name='doodmandood']I would cut your losses.

You have enough here without mega man 8 to make it a great deal as is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah she said she'd take it back next week anyway, so we'll see if she remembers. If not Legends 2 and Tron Bonne is enough as others have said.

And no, 8 didn't have the mini artbook, but it was at least dry:lol:

found a silver ps2 slim with 11 games and one controller at a yard sale this morning for $25. After testing it out at home and cleaning it up a bit, took it to gamestop this afternoon and flipped the lot for $76.25 credit with all bonuses they have running right now. Added that credit to the credit I got for a wii with 3 games and 2 controllers from craigslist on thursday (paid $75 for that lot) and I have paid off my 3DS preorder with only $100 out of pocket cost. now to work on some credit for a launch game or two....

Hooray!

I was on my computer this morning and on a whim I checked the local paper and discovered a rummage sale (at a local community center) 10 mins away. It was 10 am (it started at 8) but I didn't get a sense that I missed much. There were a few "vendors" and I found some games at one. I was so excited to be at a rummage sale that I almost forgot to negotiate.

games1.jpg

games2.jpg

games3.jpg

loose.jpg

I paid $45 for all of the above (there were all marked $3). I got the stickers off the boxes--I've learned from experience that the longer they are on the harder it is to get them off. I don't know why I got Spectrobes and the only real fail was the Metroid . . . I thought I was getting the full game :whistle2:( Maybe I'll include it with a system someday.

Most are complete. FireRed, Superstar Saga, and SM3 are missing inserts and instructions. Both FireRed and LeafGreen include the wireless adapter.

[quote name='schultzed']I got the stickers off the boxes--I've learned from experience that the longer they are on the harder it is to get them off.[/QUOTE]

Do you use a blowdryer? If you get the sticker warm, the backing loosens and it peels off easily.

Damn schultzed thats an awesome haul! Also the key to the stickers is to pull slllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwly

[quote name='blindinglights']Do you use a blowdryer? If you get the sticker warm, the backing loosens and it peels off easily.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I also use Goo Gone sometimes.

I did pull slowly.

What I meant is that these were very fresh and lightly applied . . . so they all came off very nicely. If they had been Goodwill stickers . . . then it would be hand-to-hand combat.

[quote name='Kid Fresh']Damn schultzed thats an awesome haul![/QUOTE]

I almost crapped my pants--as I saw all the Pokemon games in boxes. I had been sitting in front of my PC about 10 mins. earlier--the sale started 2 hours before I got there. I didn't expect to find anything. This is the first rummage sale I've been to for about 5 months. There is one at a church next week that is usually the "kick off" of the season. But there won't be seriously sales here for another 2 months. :whistle2:(

Found Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete and Legend of Mana (Black Label complete) for $5. I went for the SNES games but they were gone by the time I got there (which was 10 minutes early). I know nothing about Playstation games, but these two (especially the huge Lunar 2 box) looked like they had promise. I'm happy. :D

Also, both are for sale if you're interested.

[quote name='schultzed']Hooray!

I was on my computer this morning and on a whim I checked the local paper and discovered a rummage sale (at a local community center) 10 mins away.
[/QUOTE]

And so it begins...

There was 1 unadvertised Thursday Sale (3/10) that I drove by, but I was too lazy to stop at it. Next week I will scorch the earth. ;)

[quote name='schultzed']What I meant is that these were very fresh and lightly applied . . . so they all came off very nicely. If they had been Goodwill stickers . . . then it would be hand-to-hand combat.[/QUOTE]

I hear what your saying about the stickers and feel the same way! I had an NES with a sticker from some repair place that was dated about 18 years ago (it was about 4x 1 1/2 inches in size) and it took me about 45 minutes to take off completely. I was using Goo Gone and it didn't seem to help at all I was pretty much scraping off sticker residue for the whole sticker while if I tried to peel it off it would just keep tearing.

(Also those boxed/complete GB[A] games are very nice :D)

Wasn't really keen on going out yet, because the sales are still really spread out. Drove about 20 minutes to near Tijuana. Didn't find much in terms of games:

42fa5e5c.jpg

$3 for Star Trek Encounters
(lady wanted $5, I told her stores sold it for $5, which was true, and managed to talk her down to $3. Wanted to pay $2 for it. If it wasn't in pristine condition, I would have left it)
. $0.50 for the other two (worth $25 total if I flipped it, but not planning on it).

Also found a Calico Critters Luxury Townhome, with the parts wrapped, but the box damaged. Paid $30, not sure if it was that great a move, since it's large and is worth about $70-$80 new. Might wait till later this year to offload it, since the prices seem to have dropped on Calico Critters recently.

eaed7cb3.jpg

Then there's the find of a lifetime. Well, hope not lifetime, but definitely awesome.

There were these 1989 and 1990 Playmobil sets some old guy was selling. They were labeled mostly for $1, with the larger ones at $3. I passed on them at first, and looked up a random Playmobil 1989 set on ebay, and was at $12.xx for one of the sets I saw. So I decided to take a chance on them, since they were all unopened. Went back, and offered $10 for it all. He gave me the box it was in, which also had some new CD-Rs. But that's not important. Came home, and GF started looking up. Every couple of minutes, the laughs got louder.

Let's just say...
http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-lov...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1299966803&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-Vic...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299966560&sr=8-1-spell

If you don't believe the Amazon prices, the loose lampost from that set sold for $65 on ebay. The total worth of the 8 sets is about $600.

f04f9878.jpg

Edit: Honestly, I had no idea they were worth that much. When I bought them, I was hesitating a little, because I thought worse case scenario, I would break even. Best case scenario, I make $40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice haul!

I didn't get out today, but my dad got a contractor's wall desk (worth around $80) and a huge box of cello tape all for $10.

[quote name='elessar123']Wasn't really keen on going out yet, because the sales are still really spread out. Drove about 20 minutes to near Tijuana. Didn't find much in terms of games:

42fa5e5c.jpg

$3 for Star Trek Encounters
(lady wanted $5, I told her stores sold it for $5, which was true, and managed to talk her down to $3. Wanted to pay $2 for it. If it wasn't in pristine condition, I would have left it)
. $0.50 for the other two (worth $25 total if I flipped it, but not planning on it).

Also found a Calico Critters Luxury Townhome, with the parts wrapped, but the box damaged. Paid $30, not sure if it was that great a move, since it's large and is worth about $70-$80 new. Might wait till later this year to offload it, since the prices seem to have dropped on Calico Critters recently.

eaed7cb3.jpg

Then there's the find of a lifetime. Well, hope not lifetime, but definitely awesome.

There were these 1989 and 1990 Playmobil sets some old guy was selling. They were labeled mostly for $1, with the larger ones at $3. I passed on them at first, and looked up a random Playmobil 1989 set on ebay, and was at $12.xx for one of the sets I saw. So I decided to take a chance on them, since they were all unopened. Went back, and offered $10 for it all. He gave me the box it was in, which also had some new CD-Rs. But that's not important. Came home, and GF started looking up. Every couple of minutes, the laughs got louder.

Let's just say...
http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-lov...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1299966803&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-Vic...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299966560&sr=8-1-spell

If you don't believe the Amazon prices, the loose lampost from that set sold for $65 on ebay. The total worth of the 8 sets is about $600.

f04f9878.jpg

Edit: Honestly, I had no idea they were worth that much. When I bought them, I was hesitating a little, because I thought worse case scenario, I would break even. Best case scenario, I make $40.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. A easy make of 3-5 times what u pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back