Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I have a SHIT TON of Playmobil in my attic from my childhood. Wonder if any of it is worth something. It's all opened and well-played with but if a loose lampost sold for $65, I can only think something in my piles of pieces is worth something.

[quote name='Doomstink']Damn, I have a SHIT TON of Playmobil in my attic from my childhood. Wonder if any of it is worth something. It's all opened and well-played with but if a loose lampost sold for $65, I can only think something in my piles of pieces is worth something.[/QUOTE]

From looking at ebay, the ones from 1989~1993 are the rarer ones. Some of the large sets sell for hundreds. After that, it seems to be cheap.

5620 (we don't have this one) seems like the most expensive small set (victorian car and 2-3 figures), and sells pretty consistently at $400.

Victorian lampost...

Maybe it's the Victorian Playmobils that are sought after. I'm still trying to figure out why these things are so expensive.

We went to a church rummage sale today as well. Picked up an Angelcare baby monitor (looks opened, but unused) for $10. GF's other sister is pregnant, so we're sending that off to her. It's not one of the newest sets, but it's a set that sells for $50-$60 still.

Bought a tin with 15-20 little bottles of Testor model paint. I figured if it even had 1 color I needed, the $2 I paid for it would have paid for itself. The ones I took out looked unused, and not dry, but separated like they usually do if you leave them for months. It also came in a Cracker Jack tin, but it's not worth anything =( One day, I will buy a tin that's worth something. But so far, 0 for 3.

Also picked up a Canon Rebel 35mm for $20. The body itself is worth $5. The lenses in there (unless I'm missing something) sells for $70+ (EF 50mm 1:1.8 with auto focus), wide angle converter WC-DC52 ($40ish), and a piece of plastic adaptor for the wide angle converter lenses that's $20-$30 (LA-DC52D). WTF, a plastic tube is worth more than the camera itself. Edit: Nevermind, $1 on ebay, lowest on Amazon is the $20-$30 range.

GF wants to exchange it with the one her dad bought her in college for a photography class (that he still has), that hasn't been used since. Thinking of keeping the wide angle lense if we do though.

Anyone know about these cameras? Because this is why I think I'm missing something. The lens sells for $70-$110 (looks the same as in the picture), but the camera with the same lens included is $20-$25.

[quote name='elessar123']Maybe it's the Victorian Playmobils that are sought after. I'm still trying to figure out why these things are so expensive.[/QUOTE]

Nostalgia I'm sure. Plus they weren't very easy to find back then to begin with. I have the two sets on the left (though not brand new). I'm glad I looked here because I didn't even know they were worth anything. eBay listings have finished auctions at $80 for used copies of the three-person/bulletin board thingy.

Most of my Playmobil were cowboys and knights, though. I'll have to do some research now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']From looking at ebay, the ones from 1989~1993 are the rarer ones. Some of the large sets sell for hundreds. After that, it seems to be cheap.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly when mine are from. The vast majority are 91 - 93, unfortunately it doesn't seem like the themes I preferred are worth much (Pirates and Knights). I had this badass pirate island that was a huge, expensive set, and it looks to only be worth $60 if it is CIB. Considering a single lamp post from your set sold for more than that, I'd venture a guess most of my Playmobil is worthless. I suppose I'll keep it around for whenever I have kids... then again, I have so many Legos from my childhood, I can't see why my kid would ever prefer Playmobil over those.

I am not sure who would have the money to spend on playmobil stuff, (the economy is so bad and soforth especially a single lampost for $65) as far as I know it wasn't very popular here, and I have never seen any for sale at yard sales. There must be some rich 20/30 somethings out there that want to build the collection they once had as a kid. I can't imagine today's kids playing with it over Lego, unless they are small kids under 6 in which case they probably aren't old enough to appreciate it and by the time they get old enough to appreciate it they will be too old for it. I can definitely see kids today playing with old Lego sets though since you can still do a lot with them and they don't have the kiddie look of playmobil.

If you are saving toys for your kids from my experience they won't play with old toys after they are 5-6 or so, a toddler 4 years old and under will play with anything you give them and won't care but once they get into kindergarten they start wanting all the modern toys and electronics. If you have baby or toddler toys save them because those will get used. But if you have older kids stuff that is just sitting around and not being used and it is worth money, I would just sell it since based on my experience kids won't be interested in it. Of course the exception would be Lego's as they seem to be pretty timeless.

Fisher price toys went over well with my cousins, but only until they were around 5-6 then they started getting into electronics and that was it. In comparison I played with fisher price toys until I was like 10 at least. The fisher price toys that we had have lasted through at least 3 generations of children (my mother, her sister and my uncle, then me, then my cousins) which is a testament to how good they are. I also played with barbies and sailor moon dolls till I was at least 15. My grandmother played with paper dolls till she was 14-16 because basically there was nothing else to do back then, and all she had was paper dolls. But my cousins gave up dolls at 8-9 years old and started playing only with iPods, electronics and video games at that point.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am not sure who would have the money to spend on playmobil stuff, (the economy is so bad and soforth especially a single lampost for $65)[/QUOTE]

Well there are plenty of people here who spend a lot of money on video games they may never play. To each their own, or something.

Yeah I know, I am just saying most people where I live in their 20's/30's are pretty darn poor and can barely get a minimum wage job, if you can get even that. The thought of someone spending that much for playmobil is just way beyond what people here are even thinking about doing with their money.

After collecting toys for a while I realized that toys just sit there on a shelf or whatever or collect dust in boxes, video games can be played and used while staying in virtually the same condition you got them as long as you don't mind opening the shrinkwrap (unless you are rough with your games). Thus my switch from collecting toys to collecting video games. I still buy toys when I see them very very cheap but usually I flip them shortly after that so they don't start collecting up and creating clutter.

Though I am not faulting those who collect toys either, its just better for someone that has a bigger house and proper display space both of which I do not have. For all I know that lamp thing could be worth $300 in a couple years.

Wow, I was fully expecting posts. I can't be the only one that went out.

First sale, turned out to be a co-worker that works nearby. Asked him how much for the games, basically $9 total, so I gave him $10. =P

076136fa.jpg

Second sale, the guy might have been into my GF, especially after the first thing she got excited over was a Star Trek TNG How to Host a Mystery game. He also had a boxed PS1 mouse.

8af4d971.jpg

Also told us he had a Virtual Boy for sale, and he wanted $50 for it, but would go less. I offered $40 for everything, and he said ok. Actually, he said just for me, but it was pretty obvious, since if I bought it, he couldn't exactly offer it to anyone else.

6e3b729d.jpg

I'm sure the GF would not be happy if I didn't say I wasn't interested in it at all, but she made me take a look. Then she spotted the game on the top left. Yep, that's right. Super rare Atlus game.

fb360722.jpg

Went to a few other community sales, but nothing worth going into (baby clothes for GF's nieces, books).

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Castlevania: Lord of Shadows - $10
Batman: Akham City - $5

Not to bad of a hall really.[/QUOTE]

Considering Arkham City doesn't come out until October :p

[quote name='elessar123']Wow, I was fully expecting posts. I can't be the only one that went out.

I'm sure the GF would not be happy if I didn't say I wasn't interested in it at all, but she made me take a look. Then she spotted the game on the top left. Yep, that's right. Super rare Atlus game.

fb360722.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, not only did you get Jack Bros., but you got Waterworld as well. You do know that one is worth a lot too, right? Excellent find!

Got the two confused. My bad.

Arkham Asylum. One word I can't spell and my phone has no spell check.

There is a guy in Connecticut that I know of...he LOVES toys and has TONS and TONS like one of the biggest collections in the country.

I know him from Blog tv and youtube, he might buy the Playmobil figs off you...let me find his twitter...@JeepersMedia is his twitter.

I twittered him to see if he might bite.

[quote name='elessar123']Wow, I was fully expecting posts. I can't be the only one that went out.
[/QUOTE]

I went to two sales this weekend . . . it will be months before things are really in full swing here.

I got a bunch of nice books at one and some great classical music CDs at the other.

No games in sight.

A block down from me, on my way to work I stopped at a yard sale. They had out on one table an NES, an atari 2600 and a PS1. When I asked about games the old lady running the sale said "Oh I had a big bag of tapes (game carts). Those were my kids, I don't know what went to what, and someone bought the other one of those (points to the atari) so I gave her the whole bag"

>:I

However, she says she knows the woman who bought the atari, and she's going to see if she can get some of the games ("whatever didn't go with the atari," ie NES and PS1 games) back for me. I'll be going tomorrow to find out.

I hit a bunch of sales today, but didn't find much. My only find was Mortal Combat for Sega CD. I opened it up and it actually had Lunar: The Silver Star inside the case. I paid 50 cents for it:D

Pisses me off, I saw huge garage sale 30 miles away saying that it had a ton of games, and a ton of awesome stuff, but started at 7. I got up early enough to get over there right on time, and when I turned the bend there were a ton of cars parked around a duplex. Strolled into what was only two garages worth of stuff and tried to find any gaming stuff. I looked around and I saw nothing, save for a pile of stuff over on the side near two guys, I started looking through stuff and picked up a DS and one of the guys turns to me and says "this guy already bought all that". There was a DS at least 50 games from ds, ps1, xbox 360, rock band for the wii, a gamecube, and two other boxes I couldn't see. As I was walking off to find anything else, one guy turned to the other and said "So that'll be $150?" Pisses me off when people are so greedy. And to top it all off, I took a second look at the guy and recognized him as a guy that runs a local "gaming" shop that overcharges for absolutely everything.

wow, need some cheese with that whine? I bet you would've only grabbed a couple of things and left the rest for someone else, right?
I guess when someone else besides you gets a good deal it's "greedy".

i love the midwest, it was 80 the other day and its currently snowing. no sales for me yet. plan on going alot more this summer

[quote name='SlammedNiss']The early bird gets the worm.[/QUOTE]
This, totally. With yard sales, you don't have any room to complain. I once asked for a price for an M&M phone at a sale once and she gave me a price (like $4) but then someone else asked about it and said she'd give her more, so she wouldn't take the price she gave me for it anymore. There was nothing I could do short of starting a bidding war.
You're at the mercy of the host unless you have something in your hands (then it's time to protest if they ask for it back, but even then, there's not much you can do.)

[quote name='moop2001']wow, need some cheese with that whine? I bet you would've only grabbed a couple of things and left the rest for someone else, right?
I guess when someone else besides you gets a good deal it's "greedy".[/QUOTE]

Not at all. If he had simply picked up one or two games that he thought were cool, or even the ones he thought that he could've resold at a high profit right away, I wouldn't've cared as much, sure I would not have been as happy about it considering usually those are the fun ones to actually play, but the fact that he basically bought up their whole stash within the first 5 minutes of the garage sale starting is what annoys me. And there have been more than once when I leave a good game at a good deal for another person as I already have it/think someone else would enjoy it more.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Not at all. If he had simply picked up one or two games that he thought were cool, or even the ones he thought that he could've resold at a high profit right away, I wouldn't've cared as much, sure I would not have been as happy about it considering usually those are the fun ones to actually play, but the fact that he basically bought up their whole stash within the first 5 minutes of the garage sale starting is what annoys me. And there have been more than once when I leave a good game at a good deal for another person as I already have it/think someone else would enjoy it more.[/QUOTE]

You fail to understand the point, which is those aren't your games to buy or anybody elses except for the first person who actually buys them. Your complaining is pathetic and your high and mighty mentality makes you look ridiculous. I guess we should all bow down to your generosity in leaving stuff for other people, especially when you leave it for the guy who buys it all to sell in his store for a profit so he can make a living.

[quote name='juangrande386']i love the midwest, it was 80 the other day and its currently snowing. no sales for me yet. plan on going alot more this summer[/QUOTE]

In the same boat. There is a sale today, but it is too cold to go out.

[quote name='moop2001']You fail to understand the point, which is those aren't your games to buy or anybody elses except for the first person who actually buys them. Your complaining is pathetic and your high and mighty mentality makes you look ridiculous. I guess we should all bow down to your generosity in leaving stuff for other people, especially when you leave it for the guy who buys it all to sell in his store for a profit so he can make a living.[/QUOTE]

Try to be nice. This is a happy thread.

Wow! Some of you guys are harsh.

We have a fellow CAGer who just wants a little sympathy. There's no reason to kick them when they're down. I can see both sides on this issue.

Hoarding is a general problem in buying games. How many times has a clearance deal been announced and people descend on a store clearing it out ASAP. It sucks that we don't look out for each other as game buyers.

On the other hand, I could see myself doing pretty much the same thing as the buyer in this case. It feels good when you win (and walk away with a steal). It sucks when someone else gets the goods.

Personally, I don't get very excited when I see an ad that mentions games. Either the seller has unrealistic expectations of their value or there will be other buyers who arrive before you. Better to just stumble upon good stuff unexpectedly.

[quote name='schultzed']Personally, I don't get very excited when I see an ad that mentions games. Either the seller has unrealistic expectations of their value or there will be other buyers who arrive before you. Better to just stumble upon good stuff unexpectedly.[/QUOTE]

That's been my experience, too.

The season is starting up here. First big neighborhood sale is next weekend, the forecast currently says mid 50's and sunny. That forecast will change about 5 times before then :roll:.

Stopped at one last weekend and found some PS1 games for a buck each:
The X Files
Twisted Metal III
Tomb Raider II
Alien Resurrection
Nightmare Creatures
Iron Soldier 3
007 Racing
Wu-Tang Shaolin Style
Metal Gear VR Missions

Also at a separate sale I found these PS1 games for $1 each:
Tenchu 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Grand Theft Auto 2

[quote name='schultzed']Personally, I don't get very excited when I see an ad that mentions games. Either the seller has unrealistic expectations of their value or there will be other buyers who arrive before you. Better to just stumble upon good stuff unexpectedly.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this and every single year it seems to get worse with the advertised sales. One sale sounded very promising last year but some guy was stalking the house since about daylight and surprised the sellers about 2 hours before the sale opened when he saw life and bought out all the old games (NES, Sega CD with games). What would have happened if I was just as crazy and waited outside this house from say 4 am on.......would have been awkward to have two people trying to buy everything of interest to them out of a big lot well before a yardsale starts.

Personally I feel rude showing up to a yardsale more then about 15 minutes early you really don't know if they will be ready or just starting to set up at 7 or if they say 8 and ain't prepared and won't be ready until 8ish. If I go to a sale that advertises video games, I try and show up about 15 minutes early give or take and if it's long gone I figure it wasen't meant for me.

It will vary depending on were you live but I don't get my hopes up too high when I see a listing for an older Nintendo system with games since that seems to bring out competition.

[quote name='schultzed']Wow! Some of you guys are harsh.

We have a fellow CAGer who just wants a little sympathy. There's no reason to kick them when they're down. I can see both sides on this issue.

Hoarding is a general problem in buying games. How many times has a clearance deal been announced and people descend on a store clearing it out ASAP. It sucks that we don't look out for each other as game buyers.

On the other hand, I could see myself doing pretty much the same thing as the buyer in this case. It feels good when you win (and walk away with a steal). It sucks when someone else gets the goods.

Personally, I don't get very excited when I see an ad that mentions games. Either the seller has unrealistic expectations of their value or there will be other buyers who arrive before you. Better to just stumble upon good stuff unexpectedly.[/QUOTE]

I agree, some of the best sales are the unadvertised sales that just happen to have games. If an ad says games here it might be a pile of sports games or something good, but it might be gone by the time you get there. It might not be gone by the time you get there either. Usually the ad has been written by someone who knows what their stuff is worth and refuses to budge on prices, and sometimes you can get a better item from even ebay for cheaper in better condition. If its an ad on craigslist it is hopeless since the buyer most always pulls their item after getting several inquires about it, they look up the value on ebay and realize their $20 item is worth a lot more and the ad gets pulled and the item gets listed on ebay. Applies to a yard sale ad too, if the ad says games then the seller will have the sale, but they pull all the games to sell on ebay after getting a lot of questions about them since they figure they got something good if everyone asks about it. I can vouch for this one, I put an ad for a yard sale on craigslist and listed video games and got a million questions from buyers.

Games aren't the only things of value out there, someone might be so distracted by a pile of worthless PSX games for example, that they lose sight of the playmobil in the corner (or they just completely overlook it) which is the real gem of the sale if you are looking to flip for a profit. Then you swoop in and get the playmobil and get the real deal. You have to look at everything at a sale if you have time that is, just don't dismiss a sale because the pile of games sitting there isn't a massive lot of PSX RPG's, there is other stuff you can buy.

That is pretty sad if someone is stalking the house since 4am or something, if I saw that on yard sale day here and I was holding the sale I would probably call the police because its just creepy if someone wants games that bad that they have to be out there before the family who is selling even wakes up. Most ads here say "early birds pay double" or something similar to avoid this situation. Seriously do you really need it that badly? Especially since around here yard sales don't seem to start until 10am, I have tried it before if you go out at 8am you will find nothing since people aren't set up. Since people are up all friday night they don't wanna get up early to have the sale. I have also had sales here and the majority of business came around 11am-12pm, I was set up and ready at 7:30am and there were like 3 customers until later in the afternoon.

"just don't dismiss a sale because the pile of games sitting there isn't a massive lot of PSX RPG's, there is other stuff you can buy."
Why would you just go to yard sales for games anyway?
Games are usually the last thing I look for, I usually try to get tools, electronics, books, and anything else I can find. Of course, if there's a game table, I'll browse through it, but I usually try to make a profit from yard sales and I tend to not be able to part with games I've found. :p

First yard sale of the season and found one thing of interest. Green N64 for $5. Hoping to have a decent year this time around.

[quote name='ROB64']"just don't dismiss a sale because the pile of games sitting there isn't a massive lot of PSX RPG's, there is other stuff you can buy."
Why would you just go to yard sales for games anyway?
Games are usually the last thing I look for, I usually try to get tools, electronics, books, and anything else I can find. Of course, if there's a game table, I'll browse through it, but I usually try to make a profit from yard sales and I tend to not be able to part with games I've found. :p[/QUOTE]

Tools are usually pretty popular by me. I wish I knew more about them. I usually buy old wood handle tools just because they have always been collectible. I also buy some houseware items like old Pyrex if they are in nice shape or anything that is made of Bakelite.

Not to get macro on everyone, but I think were are at a point in time and tech that pretty much everything is worth something.

Furniture is popular around here, antiques are popular here too since I live in a city with a ton of old people and old houses. Furniture and appliances are expensive to purchase new and no one around here has any money for new furniture or new appliances. Tools usually go pretty fast around here if they are being sold at all. I look for things like old razors because they sell good and are small and easy to ship. Tupperware can sell pretty good because people are looking to complete a set and are usually missing one item (if they lose it or damage it etc.). Worse comes to worse you can always use the tupperware, its expensive to buy it new but it lasts forever!

Toys are not popular around here because everyone with kids simply has too many and they will not buy more at a yard sale, this is where you can potentially make money if you know what is selling good since the items are less in demand you can get them for less money at sales and make more on them. Toys from a series that is still popular with kids today and items from that series that are not sold in stores today are the items that will net you the most money.

Most sales have mounds of clothing for sale, most sales want too much for their clothing, but you can usually hit on some pretty awesome deals for clothes, the trick is to find that one low priced sale that has your size, and it will happen.

Baby stuff never sells around here, everyone just gets it brand new from the family or at their baby shower. If you are thinking of having a kid and can plan ahead you can really clean up on this stuff here, you could probably garbage pick like new baby stuff here because that is how much there is.

The dealers charge outrageous prices if they are holding the sale so I try to avoid those sales that have the dealers names listed as the sellers. Best case is you get the family of the deceased who is holding the sale, usually they will sell items a lot cheaper and be willing to bargain. But overall I don't usually buy much at estate sales, I do better with the small run of the mill yard sales.

As for items I look for, anything that looks good, is in good condition and is cheap!

[quote name='slowdive21']Tools are usually pretty popular by me. I wish I knew more about them. I usually buy old wood handle tools just because they have always been collectible. I also buy some houseware items like old Pyrex if they are in nice shape or anything that is made of Bakelite.

Not to get macro on everyone, but I think were are at a point in time and tech that pretty much everything is worth something.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of tools at the yard sales around here. They're usually snatching up all the good games before I get there! :bomb:

Actually around here tools are easy to come by. There are many factories that have closed down and the old timers are selling off some expensive bits, gages, ect. for pretty cheap.

Unfortunatly reselling is about the biggest employer around here right now. About 75% of the people at local garage sales are looking for something to flip. And the prices they ask for the items they find are outrageous. I see listings for PS2s with about 45 games on CL every day with prices between $100 - $300. One guy had a PS2 with 125 games and was asking $450! Of course these listings stay up forever. These prices are a steal......7 years ago.

I dunno, a PS2 with 125 games is about 3 dollars a game. Depending on what's in the lot and condition it'd be great for flipping.

[quote name='ROB64']Why would you just go to yard sales for games anyway?
Games are usually the last thing I look for[/QUOTE]

I consider the games that I find as frosting on the cake.

I mostly look for books, CDs, DVDs, and videos.

If I only went looking for video games, I would get depressed because the good finds are too rare.

[quote name='schultzed']I consider the games that I find as frosting on the cake.

I mostly look for books, CDs, DVDs, and videos.

If I only went looking for video games, I would get depressed because the good finds are too rare.[/QUOTE]

We go mainly for games and toys. I don't have a lot of room, being in SoCal, so I can't afford to store larger items.

[quote name='Skuttie']I dunno, a PS2 with 125 games is about 3 dollars a game. Depending on what's in the lot and condition it'd be great for flipping.[/QUOTE]

A picture on the post shows a few shovelware titles and the rest are stacked, disc only. I'm willing to bet that most are crap / sports titles with enough scratches to make a DJ happy.

PS2 games aren't very good for flipping unless you can get your hands on the rare titles, which no one around here has. Everyone has the walmart 19.99 bin games or greatest hit games. Honestly not bad if you are looking to play the games for yourself, but you just can't make enough off it to justify it solely for flipping. Unless you can buy a lot of 100 games that aren't sports games for something like $20-30 you aren't gonna make much off them.

We do go for clothing however like I said you have to know what the items sell for in retail stores and which brands are good, expensive and which brand are more likely to fit because often times you are better off going to the store and getting a brand new never worn item that you can try on for less money. NYS just abolished the sales tax on clothing purchases under $55 and next year they will abolish it on items up to $110 I think too so the clothing is gonna have to be real cheap, in good condition and a good brand name at a sale in order to buy it. Sometimes I see people hawking clothing for more than what it sells at retail, especially if its walmart, target or old navy items that typically go for cheap money at retail.

Women's Plus size clothing sells good on ebay and there have been several times where I have purchased these items for pennies just to flip and have done decent on the flips. Buyers are really picky about clothing so you have to check the item with a fine toothed comb and be willing to describe every single flaw no matter how tiny.

Biggest employer here is welfare, no seriously our area is 70% or more welfare people. They prefer to shop at walmart and don't have cars so most of them do not go to yard sales. They will come to a sale if its within walking distance though. I suspect there is competition here but the competition has obviously missed some of the big ones since last year when I bought the 50 game lot I posted about it was all older games and it was like noon or 1pm when I bought the stuff. Helps that in this area everyone wants the latest and older games are pretty much considered worthless locally that is. Most people here don't have the time, knowledge, resources or will (they are lazy) to look into flipping stuff on CL/Ebay or any of the other methods of flipping. Pawn shops, the method of choice for flipping here won't give you enough money to make yard sale flips worthwhile. There are a couple areas that I could go to that are worse off than mine, always wondered what the sales out there are like, might have to try it this summer.

Honestly though the ebay bubble has burst, you can't really get rich quick or make oodles off it just from flipping items and people know that. 10-12 years ago everyone was all about omg I will get rich on ebay flipping items from yard sales and thrift stores but that isn't the case anymore. Yes you can make a modest amount and in some cases enough to live on but even then you will have to work for it.

[quote name='Invicta 61']There are plenty of tools at the yard sales around here. They're usually snatching up all the good games before I get there! :bomb:

Actually around here tools are easy to come by. There are many factories that have closed down and the old timers are selling off some expensive bits, gages, ect. for pretty cheap.

Unfortunatly reselling is about the biggest employer around here right now. About 75% of the people at local garage sales are looking for something to flip. And the prices they ask for the items they find are outrageous. I see listings for PS2s with about 45 games on CL every day with prices between $100 - $300. One guy had a PS2 with 125 games and was asking $450! Of course these listings stay up forever. These prices are a steal......7 years ago.[/QUOTE]

The problem with listings like that is that it's almost never an unpicked collection filled with A+ titles, usually it's the kind of overstock you see on ebay that only sells to suckers who have bright-eyed reselling dreams, if it sells at all. A lot is only as good as it's liquid value--you're better to focus on the real no-brainer deals when you find them, like getting a whole box of PS2 and Gamecube games for $40 and then flipping two or three to get your money back.

Where do you guys hear about yard sales? Local paper? Craigslist is lacking, but it may be too early for us.

[quote name='jaydepps']Where do you guys hear about yard sales? Local paper? Craigslist is lacking, but it may be too early for us.[/QUOTE]

My area doesn't have a close enough Craigslist so it's pretty much the local paper or just taking note when you see a sign because most people around here will put it up a week in advance.

[quote name='jaydepps']Where do you guys hear about yard sales? Local paper? Craigslist is lacking, but it may be too early for us.[/QUOTE]
I just drive around and look for signs whenever I go out to yard sales. There's usually 5 or 6 signs at the intersections close to my house, so I just follow the signs.
Occasionally I'll go on craigslist, but the listed sales usually are priced too high or everything is already gone by the time I get there; I've had much more luck with unlisted sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back