Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahah if I was running a yard sale and saw someone with a scanner I would quote them a stupidly high price saying something like "I paid $50 for this and only played it a few times so its $30".

There isn't any substitute for knowledge since there will be stacks of games without barcodes, I wonder what they do when they find some of those.

Moreover, I would rather give my stuff away to people who I know could use it rather than let one of these people get to the stash. Any games I didn't want could be donated to the local library since my library rents video games where the entire community would then get to enjoy it.

I wonder what it is with Dance central for the Kinect, must be a pretty bad game if people are willing to dump it for $3 and $10 when the amazon trade in value is still high.

Most of the games around here are lame PS2 games, but that is good if you want something to play because there are some good titles in the mix its just the titles don't have much value on the secondary market. I have a feeling the PS2 dumping will be huge this year. But I haven't found a PS2 game that is worth anything more than $5 on ebay in the wild so they aren't gonna make much on reselling them if any.

Again a lot of games are worthless at sales so you have to look for other stuff at the sales, if the scanner isn't looking and is only relying on his scanner for books, games, dvd's and other media then he is really losing out on the real gems of the yard sales.

[quote name='DaMonStEr']$20 for the lot, all brand new.

Uncharted
Kinect Joyride
Mafia 2
Red Dead Redemption
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

All sealed, all for PS3 except Kinect Joyride.[/QUOTE]

Stolen

[quote name='DaMonStEr']$20 for the lot, all brand new.

Uncharted
Kinect Joyride
Mafia 2
Red Dead Redemption
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

All sealed, all for PS3 except Kinect Joyride.[/QUOTE]

Likely stolen, but you have no way of knowing for sure unless you personally know that the seller stole them so I wouldn't feel bad about buying them.

My sister stopped at one last week and bought a first gen Genesis for $10 with all the hookups, like 3-4 conrollers and ten or so games. Sadly, every game was sports except for Streets of Rage 2. (And no Mutant League-s either).

1ST yard sale trip of the year all for 30$
PS1 5$
Crash Bandicoot - complete
Crash Team Racing- disc only
Nameco Museum Vol 3- complete

N64 syestem 2 controllers and Super Mario 64 - 20$

XBOX system - just system no cables or controllers 5$

All and all a good day!

Hey, Slowdive . . . have you gone to any storage locker auctions yet?

I hit a few sales this weekend and it was awful . . . not only for video games but almost nothing of interest.

[quote name='schultzed']Hey, Slowdive . . . have you gone to any storage locker auctions yet?

I hit a few sales this weekend and it was awful . . . not only for video games but almost nothing of interest.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, I've been getting slammed with rain every Saturday like clockwork; hopefully I'll fair better at a library sale tomorrow.

[quote name='schultzed']Hey, Slowdive . . . have you gone to any storage locker auctions yet?
[/QUOTE]

Nope not yet, I need to get in touch with my brother's friend. He runs a storage place.

Actually he is going to be on one of the storage shows in May. It is the show with the pretty boy and Ton? (Tank?)

[quote name='schultzed']I hit a few sales this weekend and it was awful . . . not only for video games but almost nothing of interest.[/QUOTE]

I have basically stayed local and hit everything in town. I didn't find much until yesterday. Only a couple of game finds though.

There have already been at least 2-3 times as many people out this year. I ran into 3 people I know from auctions yesterday and today I saw another 2 I know. The thing that makes me chuckle is how little they know about what they buy/sell. I even told one guy a magazine that I left is worth money. I even pulled it out for him to buy. He left it and I went back today to look for missing pieces/ half priced items (estate sale) and I bought it for 50 cents.

I found a copy of DDR Hottest Party 2 with the mat for wii for $10. That's all for 3 hours of driving around. No other video games or anything else.

I think I have 100-200 original magic cards that I picked up last year, no idea if any are worth anything but since I paid 25 cents I am not really concerned. I believe they are 1994 versions too.

[quote name='slowdive21']Ugh. I am sick of imageshack for my pics. Is there another free hosing service with bulk upload?[/QUOTE]

Photobucket?

[quote name='slowdive21']Actually he is going to be on one of the storage shows in May. It is the show with the pretty boy and Ton? (Tank?)

[/QUOTE]
Ton and Alan? GASP. Is it Auction hunters I love that show.:)

[quote name='elessar123']Photobucket?[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, they do have bulk upload now! I used to use them, but when I started posting here I switched to imageshack for the bulk option.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Ton and Alan? GASP. Is it Auction hunters I love that show.:)[/QUOTE]

That's the one!

I bought everything at 2 sales. The first group was $20 total. If you only want to see the media stuff skip to the second section.

These are Marx toys. They are worth picking up if you see them. The ones below are from the late 60s early 70s

The first pic is Fort Apache. The second I do not know much about.

These are over-sized figures about 5-6 inches. They usually sell between $5-$8 each at shows.

Various horses and normal sized figures (army men sized).

The coat in the 3rd pic if from a 1960s GI JOE! Probably worth about $15 in its current condition.

That brings us to the Mego and Kenner figures...

Big Jack (from Big Jim), Making of Thriller VHS, Scotty and Captain Kirk Mego figures. Second pic is a Kenner cub scout and Dr Zaius missing his parachute.

These are plastic figures from the 70s. Probably $10-$30 each.

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues with Christie Brinkley. Old Chicago mag with Jordan on it. Some misc 7 inch records. Snoopy disc and an old Hockey Puck (Czechoslovakia).

I paid $12 for everything. All the DVDs are sealed except Halo and the Belly Dance one. The NES was marked $1 but it is beat! It came with Super Mario 3, so I am not complaining!

Looking forward to this weekend! :bouncy:

[quote name='elessar123']Bought a lot of Magic the Gathering cards from 1994 this past weekend. Barely got to look through it today.

Found a Taiga ($60) and a Tropical Island ($90) card.

Also included 3 variations of this counter, unbroken:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reaper-minature...606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415824c776[/QUOTE]

Where can I find some good information about Magic the Gathering cards? My father found two binders full and about 100-200 loose cards at one of his rentals. I have never played the game and have no clue as to what has value. I started looking some stuff up but it appears there are so many variations I'm not sure if i'm looking at the correct item. The cards date between 1994 - 1998 and include Golems, Slivers, Wurms, and a bunch of other random stuff.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Where can I find some good information about Magic the Gathering cards? My father found two binders full and about 100-200 loose cards at one of his rentals. I have never played the game and have no clue as to what has value. I started looking some stuff up but it appears there are so many variations I'm not sure if i'm looking at the correct item. The cards date between 1994 - 1998 and include Golems, Slivers, Wurms, and a bunch of other random stuff.[/QUOTE]

check TrollandToad.com I sell them my thrift store finds when it comes to Magic and Pokemon cards.

[quote name='slowdive21']I paid $12 for everything. All the DVDs are sealed . . .

Looking forward to this weekend! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

In terms of flipping, its interesting to see that even with being sealed the DVDs ave. about $5 each. Definitely worth doing considering how much you paid.

The thing to keep an eye out for is unusual titles (in video as well as DVD) . . . therefore the best DVD of your bunch is the Cirque du Soleil one (Lovesick).

I don't think this weekend is going to be all that great here with Easter and it still being cold out.

But May is right around the corner.

You want to look for DVD box sets, anything with multiple discs. Those usually sell pretty good if they are cheap at yard sales. But they might not sell on ebay, you might have to sell locally. I flipped a Heroes season 1 box set that I could not sell on ebay for 3.99 + shipping but I got offered $10 for it in 2 seconds flat locally.

Thanks for the magic info, I will check out the value of the cards I have here.

Boy do I have a haul to show you guys. Gotta take pictures of it all first :D.

Alright, here's the list.

$25 for all of the following Dreamcast games:

Chu Chu Rocket! (complete)
EGG - Elemental Gimmck Gear (complete)
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves (complete)
Giga Wing (complete)
Giga Wing 2 (complete)
Gunbird 2 (complete)
Illbleed (complete)
Jet Grind Radio (complete)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (complete)
Outtrigger (complete)
Samba De Amigo (complete)
Sega GT (complete)
Sega Marine Fishing (complete)
Sega Rally Championship (complete)
Sega Sports Tennis 2K2 (manual and disc)
Soul Calibur (complete)
Space Channel 5 (complete)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (disc only)
The Last Blade 2 (complete)
The Typing of the Dead (complete with no keyboard)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Rogue Spear (complete)
Virtua Tennis (complete)

Playstation Games:

(Black Label) Final Fantasy VII - $1
(Black Label) Final Fantasy VIII - $1
(Black Label) Final Fantasy IX - $1
(Black Label) Final Fantasy Tactics - $1
EHRGEIZ - $1

Super Nintendo:

Chrono Trigger (with box/manual) - $1
Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past (cart only) - $1
Secret of Mana (box and manual only, no game) - free
Final Fantasy III (manual only) - free

Pics coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
$1 Chrono Trigger CIB? Impressive. So which title are you going to sell to get all your money back, the FF7 or the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Bwa ha ha.

Even though I don't much care for FF7 or 8 it's nice having them to complete the set.

I'm probably gonna sell all the less rare Dreamcast titles for a lot around 15-20 dollars if anyone's interested. Keeping hard to get ones for myself, of course :).

[quote name='lude21']Wow, nice finds AugustAPC![/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm very fortunate. I'm really enjoying Chrono Trigger now. I never played more than the first 10 minutes of it when I was younger, and I can see why it's garnered such critical acclaim. It's hard to believe that it's a SNES game.

I hope I hit the jackpot again sometime soon :D

[quote name='slowdive21']I already hit the jackpot today...Can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Don't leave us hanging . . . we live for updates!

I did hit a few sales today . . . but I also had to work :whistle2:(

I got to 2 at 8 am and picked up 2 GBA systems (original models in black and pink--both without battery covers) with about 20 games. Each system was in a case and had games and was marked $10.

I was able to get all of it for $10. I'll see about a pic later.

The games are mostly crap . . . but I had spotted a Pokemon Firered in the group before I purchased it but that was it for Pokemon :whistle2:( As I got in my car, I spotted a Mario World . . . which lifted my spirits. And now, just going through them, I found a Pinball of the Dead cart!

At a few other sales (after work) I bought some books and 3 videos . . . total cost about $10 but they may be worth in the range of $100 total.

[quote name='nnthomas']> 4/23/11

Waiting...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't think anyone cared. I already got rid of all the shitty Dreamcast games, lol. Sorry for the quality of the pics. I took them with my crappy phone.

gsscore01.jpg

gsscore02.jpg

I hit a couple of tag sales today for the first time in forever and was reminded as to why I stopped going. Too much time and too much gas for too little reward. The only thing I picked up was a brand new copy of Sleep Beauty 2 Disc SE DVD for $2. Would it really kill people to mention in their newspaper / craigslist ad that their sale is 99% baby items or antiques?

It's too bad the Internet killed the tag sales and flea markets as I remember them as a kid. People now know what their stuff is worth, and if that isn't the case, anything worth buying is taken by professional resellers and bargain hunters who have the willpower to get up at the crack of dawn and get out there. Oh well, the early bird gets the worm I guess.

[quote name='spmahn']I hit a couple of tag sales today for the first time in forever and was reminded as to why I stopped going. Too much time and too much gas for too little reward. The only thing I picked up was a brand new copy of Sleep Beauty 2 Disc SE DVD for $2. Would it really kill people to mention in their newspaper / craigslist ad that their sale is 99% baby items or antiques?

It's too bad the Internet killed the tag sales and flea markets as I remember them as a kid. People now know what their stuff is worth, and if that isn't the case, anything worth buying is taken by professional resellers and bargain hunters who have the willpower to get up at the crack of dawn and get out there. Oh well, the early bird gets the worm I guess.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya as I went to something like 12 yard sales including some combined household ones and didn't see a single game. Might stil be early for it though so hopefully something comes of it. I found out that driving around and learning new areas is actually kind of relaxing to me for some reason.

Didn't mean to post this in the Thrift store thread:

My wife went garage sailing today and struck gold. 5$. Just missing the RF and AC cables (and the game). Otherwise in near-mint condition.

F i v e D o l l a h s :O

11276g7.jpg
24endjm.jpg
143018m.jpg

Had some decent finds in the early hours, lots of sales blooming but I had to really scrounge as the day wore on.

First stop which was full of n64 win:

Blast Corps
Conker's Bad Fur Day :hot:
Diddy Kong Racing
Dr. Mario 64
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Space Station Silicon Valley :cool:
Super Mario 64 :cool:
South Park Rally

+ 2 controllers and memory card, all for $20. It's uncanny how I hit this when I just got a decent thrift store find last week of:

F-Zero X
Goldeneye 007
Pilotwings 64
Super Mario 64
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (been wanting to upgrade this)
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64

all for $14.84.

And right after the Conker's I made some nice finds in other areas:

Led Zeppelin 2 CD Set Early Days & Latter Days (Like New) - $2
+ The Song Remains the Same Movie Soundtrack Vinyl - Free

Trivial Pursuit: Lord of the Rings Collectors Edition (sealed) - $5 :hot:

The rest of the day was mostly odds and ends. Some kids at a community sale told me there was somebody with a hundred games set out, but about all my search yielded was a Pokemon Yellow from a little girl's pocket and a Gamecube controller from behind some overpriced ds games, $2 for both.

From here on things were bleak: scratched up mario kart double dash, playstation a/v cables missing pins, a "trap" box where a guy wanted $20 for two ps1 consoles, an nes, an Elder Scrolls 4 with no activation code, some dusty atari carts--probably the safest bet he had in there was Super Mario Bros 3 for nes. Anyhow, let us not speak of crap box again and conclude with the final pick-ups...

Resident Evil 2 (n64) - $3
Unreal Tournament (Dreamcast, disc-only) - $1
PS2 controller extension cord - $1

Broken Playstation 3 (Console Only) - $3

Sonic The Hedgehog & Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (Genesis, Both Complete) - .25

Wildfire Pinball Game With AC Adaptor (Parker Brothers, 1979) - .75

PS3 was asking price didn't even bother to haggle for that price, tired it out with two different games and it didn't read either of them. 60 gig harddrive 3.15 firmware, seemed hot after only 10 minutes and sounded like the fan was working harder then it should have been so hopefully I'm just reading into all that more then I should be and the system doesn't have more wrong with it. The Genesis games were from a really junky yardsale (backyard even smelled bad just to try and give you an idea of how bad it was) with what was a mess of boxes brought out from the house, I fished the Genesis games out of a box and offered .25 for them just for the hell of it figuring (as it ended up being) that it might be my only find for old games today. The Pinball deal was asking price and even seems to have the correct power plug with it and isn't a makeshift (says Parker Brothers on it). I tried it out and it's kind of neat even seems to shut off if you move it around too much like a real pinball machine.

I got out today at about 7:45 and was out till just after 12. Got to 41 sales total today.

I only had two sales that mentioned something video game related one didn't mention anything in particular and the other was a younger kid so probably something newer and not for me.

For expensive stuff nothing earth shattering, $10 DS game shovelware at one house and a GameCube for $30 at another. I saw the bare minimum of other typical video game things today 1 Xbox sports game, a few PS2 games at one house (Almost got a Star Wars Lego game but when I said I was thinking a buck at the $3 price and offered to meet in the middle mom said that the kids wanted $5 but she was doing $3 as if that was firm and already undercutting what the kids wanted) another GameCube for $10, some plug and plays and the one thing I knew I was going to see today in a V-smile :)

I had a little of all of the typical stuff today as usual, have but not selling, used to have something but got rid of it last sale, have something but didn't bring it out and didn't seem interested in finding it (probably not sure where it is), we might still have something goes and checks....sorry nothing etc etc. The only thing in particular I'm going to mention is the very first sale I stop at this year I ask about video games and they have Nintendo(s) yes plural as different gens I would guess and even mentioned still having the system with Pac-Man which would most likely be a 2600 BUT they mentioned that they couldn't get a hold of Jr before hand so even be it they mentioned that they would like it gone they weren't doing a thing with any of it without touching base with him. They did take my number (actually gave it out 3 times today) but that pretty much never pans out, I don't even bring it up anymore the only time I bother giving out my number is when the seller brings it up and offers to take my number.

[quote name='spmahn']I hit a couple of tag sales today for the first time in forever and was reminded as to why I stopped going. Too much time and too much gas for too little reward. [/QUOTE]

That's why I consider games to be just icing on the cake. If I went just for games, I would give up . . . there just isn't enough out there week in and week out. But you pay your dues and get lucky sometimes.

My best find this weekend was a Senseo coffeemaker . . . NIB for $5. I really love the taste of Senseo and my current machine is about 4 years old . . . it almost died on me a few months ago and I was considering spending $50-60 on one. Glad I waited.

I mostly struck on games for Fri. and Sat. but I didn't manage a complete copy (so-so disc) of Diablo for the PS1--for $1.

Otherwise I bought a few books and 9 videos (classics that aren't on DVD) that I can list for about $75.

[quote name='AugustAPC']
But honestly, shit like this doesn't happen often at all.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about your DC find this morning.

I asked about games at a sale where the woman was just setting up. She thought for a moment and said . . . "you mean like Nintendo or Playstation." I said, "anything at all."

She goes in and comes back out with a box . . . as I get my first look, I see mostly DC games. As I focus, I see it is mostly a bunch of crap . . . damn. I did get a copy of Sonic Shuffle for $1.

[quote name='schultzed']I was thinking about your DC find this morning.

I asked about games at a sale where the woman was just setting up. She thought for a moment and said . . . "you mean like Nintendo or Playstation." I said, "anything at all."

She goes in and comes back out with a box . . . as I get my first look, I see mostly DC games. As I focus, I see it is mostly a bunch of crap . . . damn. I did get a copy of Sonic Shuffle for $1.[/QUOTE]

Not bad.

[quote name='FOnewearl']

Broken Playstation 3 (Console Only) - $3

PS3 was asking price didn't even bother to haggle for that price, tired it out with two different games and it didn't read either of them. 60 gig harddrive 3.15 firmware, seemed hot after only 10 minutes and sounded like the fan was working harder then it should have been so hopefully I'm just reading into all that more then I should be and the system doesn't have more wrong with it.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I think that is our first reported PS3. :applause:

[quote name='spmahn']I hit a couple of tag sales today for the first time in forever and was reminded as to why I stopped going. Too much time and too much gas for too little reward. The only thing I picked up was a brand new copy of Sleep Beauty 2 Disc SE DVD for $2. Would it really kill people to mention in their newspaper / craigslist ad that their sale is 99% baby items or antiques?

It's too bad the Internet killed the tag sales and flea markets as I remember them as a kid. People now know what their stuff is worth, and if that isn't the case, anything worth buying is taken by professional resellers and bargain hunters who have the willpower to get up at the crack of dawn and get out there. Oh well, the early bird gets the worm I guess.[/QUOTE]

I think if we were all going only for games we would just quit since its not worth it. With that being said if you go for just one item or one category of items regardless what it is you will most likely strike out and get frustrated. You have to broaden your horizons. Most of us are going for many other things besides games, but this happens to be a game forum so that is what will be most discussed here. Those 99 cent baby clothes might be a godsend for someone who is gonna have a kid soon (baby clothes run at least $6 per outfit here and most of the time more $$ and babies outgrow their clothes every 2 weeks).

About 90% of yard sales I go to are NOT run by professional resellers, in fact I would say its even less than that. Yes you will have off days, sounds like this was one of them. The harsh reality is that people, at least here, have tons of junk, and they need to get rid of it. The yard sale is still the way to do that.

Yes, at the fleamarket here most things are priced above ebay prices, and no one sells anything (its truly odd). But your average house sale is nothing like what is seen at the fleamarket.

Ask any of us, its really tough to make money on ebay and please the customers these days and most people are just too lazy to put the work and effort into it since it does take quite a lot of work and effort to sell your stuff on ebay. I think the ebay bubble has burst here, and people no longer realize they are going to get rich from ebay. It was a lot worse here 10-12 years ago when there were less yard sales and everyone was thinking they will get rich by selling something they bought at a yard sale on ebay.

[quote name='schultzed']Otherwise I bought a few books and 9 videos (classics that aren't on DVD) that I can list for about $75.[/QUOTE]

Is there a good website out there for information on valuable VHS tapes? I see a ton of them at yard sales and Good Will, but I never know what's worth something and what's not so I never bother looking.

[quote name='SaraAB']I think if we were all going only for games we would just quit since its not worth it. With that being said if you go for just one item or one category of items regardless what it is you will most likely strike out and get frustrated. You have to broaden your horizons. Most of us are going for many other things besides games, but this happens to be a game forum so that is what will be most discussed here. Those 99 cent baby clothes might be a godsend for someone who is gonna have a kid soon (baby clothes run at least $6 per outfit here and most of the time more $$ and babies outgrow their clothes every 2 weeks).[/QUOTE]

Have to echo this. We started out going for games only, and it was fun, and got us a lot of stuff in our collections for cheap. But then we hit a dry spell, and it started not being worth it. We started branching out, partially with the help of these threads, and partially from my interests in shows like Pawn Stars. I even found a Picasso print recently that was priced well, but I decided against in the end.

Because of my job, and the relatively small size of our apartment (it's not small for the area, but I grew up in Texas, where land is cheap). I also can't afford to pick up everything that can make me a dollar or two. But I do take risks, and it often pays off.

For example, I bought a Disney pocket watch that's worth a couple hundred new, and over $100 used, for $1. I figured if I liked it, despite not being much of a Disney fan, it has a chance of being worth something. Other times, it backfires. I bought a cast iron nutcracker recently for $1, and it's worth... a dollar. The Playmobils we took a risk on really paid off too.

The GF also has 3 siblings with young kids / having kids. We pick up tons of really good condition baby clothes, and it costs us next to nothing. We find so much for so cheap that it got to a point where we pass often on pieces that cost even 99 cents. We managed to fill one of her niece's closets for something like $50. We also find really nice dresses and costumes with tags on them. Another thing we get are children's books, for the same reason.

But we don't really do it for the money. We do it because it's fun. So even if we only broke even, we'd keep doing it. I almost can't wait to retire and do picking in my spare time. Recently, I even had one of the American Picker moments, where this old couple's huge yard had a bunch of really neat old stuff. I was really excited to have seen his collection, even though I myself wasn't into old tools, old Tonkas, and old trains.

I do go for only games, but I get to because I go with my dad, who goes after everything else. Anyway, I said about this in another thread but today I got...

:psp:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Cabela's Legendary Adventures

5 for all three, I'm trading at GS for 25, plus I got a PSP charger for 10 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back