Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SaraAB']GTA III with poster PS2- $3
[/QUOTE]

It feels like I could buy a copy of a PS2 GTA game every weekend. I see them all the time. They are practically like sports titles. Still a great series and a real find if you don't have it.

[quote name='schultzed']It feels like I could buy a copy of a PS2 GTA game every weekend. I see them all the time. They are practically like sports titles. Still a great series and a real find if you don't have it.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any GTA's and I have never played one, considering the other ones I find will probably be crap condition for more money and this one is practically mint with no scratches on the disk it is definitely a good find. I somehow can't see finding one of these in good condition at Gamestop either. Its been really dry here, some weeks I don't see games at all.

I never played GTA3. I tried GTA4 right after beating Saints Row 2, and I got bored of GTA4 in like 15 minutes.

I did, however, play GTA1/GTA2 back when they first came out.

5 Games (No Manual For EFMI) - 2.50
5 More Games (All Complete If Not Cart/Card Only) - 20
Twisted Metal 2 - 2 (Plus Tax)

The first 5 games were asking .50 each. The second 5 when I asked about games the kid pointed out a GameCube with 5 games that was $50 that was easy to over look since it still had the lid on it. I asked about Twilight Princess and he was nice enough to split it out for 5, offered 20 from 21 asking price on all (GBA games were 3 each). Twisted Metal 2 was from the Salvation Army that is right on the way home.

Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare (PC, CIJ) - .25
Torpedo Range (GB) - 1
Virtua Fighter 3TB - 1
Fallout 3 Game of The Year Edition - 6
6 Complete Wii Games - 15
9 Nintendo 64 Game - 7

All disk based games from Saturday are complete. Fallout 3 GOTYE was asking 7 but took 6. The Wii games were 5 each, took 15 for 6. Asked about video games at one of the first sales of the day, mentioned and brought out all of these N64 games I picked out 5 or 6 games and when they wanted a buck each I offered to take all of them for 7 which was taken. The other 3 small finds were asking price.

Non Find BS
Friday I was out for a little over 2 hours and Saturday a little over 3 got to about 50 sales total this weekend. Oddly enough 4 sales on my list had nothing going on Saturday and the weather was nice. Maybe it was too hot for them. 3 of them were Friday also so they might have been tired of the doing the yardsale thing after one day if they did bad or for whatever reason.

Since I didn't do non find BS for the last 2 weeks I'll only mention one older thing, 2 weeks ago at an unadvertised sale late in the day I was told about an Atari system I missed with (IIRC) games sounded like a Jr system. This week I did my route backwards because it seemed most advantageous for certain reasons and was told about an SNES I missed by about an hour which I probably would have have gotten to at this sale starting at 9 if I did things like I usually do. A number of other systems and/or games I was told I missed were all or mostly last gen stuff.

On Friday when I asked about games one guy mentioned some games he could have brought but didn't think would sell (NES, SNES, N64) BSing with him he mentioned how he and his brother would like to find Earthbound but informed me that it goes for "thousands" online, how's that for overestimating the value of something when looking it up online.

When the N64 games were brought out I had a lady (gray hair probably in her 60s) that was right by me and breathing down my neck as I was looking at them and she asked me if they were N64 games. She did politely step away when she realized they were brought out when I asked but she was ready to step right in after I was done. I don't really have any main rivals like some of the interesting rival stories other CAGs talk about but this is what I'm mostly worried about beating me to anything good that's out, old ladies who will buy anything they feel like they are getting a deal on for the grandkids or whomever in the family or just any random person that wasen't looking for video games but will bite if they see something cheap enough.

Everything else was same shit different week, if I had a good find for every time somebody tells me they still have what's usually an NES (or whatever old system) I'd have enough finds for everyone on CAG and then some.

[quote name='CAG90210']Wow, I didn't know Gamestop will take Gamecube systems. I thought they're discontinuing it?[/QUOTE]

Yep, they're still good for $10 in credit, though it could depend on your particular Gamestop since I ran into one today that didn't want to take PS2 games based on some kind of sales rankings bs. Extra PS2 and Gamecube controllers still have decent TIVs too if you can get them for cheap.

I wish I could find DVD sets like those!

[quote name='schultzed']Seems like mostly downs. Damn the comic miss sucks . . . at least you know you have the storage in future. I hate to say it, but you probably should've handed him money and worked it out later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wanted to, but my parents are at a point where they are sick of having my "warehouse" in their house. I already took over the garage, basement, and a living room. They threatened to put my stuff into storage if I don't get some of it out of there. If they weren't complaining it would be a no brainer, but I have to comply at this point if I don't want my stuff in storage at my expense, or worse on the curb.

Really I was only gone from the sale for a couple of hours and the guy basically said he didn't plan on selling them at the sale, he just noticed my spiderman t-shirt and figured I would want to take a look. I guess the neighbor saw the boxes in the back of the garage and inquired about them.

I just need to buy a house at this point, so I don't miss out on any more deals. ;) (and for storage).

I've also decided I need a smartphone of some type, so I can check Craigslist when I am out. Heck, I may just get a scanner.

I did have a nice "up" today, but I have to snap a pic. :D

Do you guys just ask at every sale, regardless of the hosts "do you guys happen to have any video games"? What's the success rate on that?

Fone always gets good game stuff! Jeeze, making us look bad.. And to indigo... I may have to do that. I found some gamecube stuff today. Ill take a picture tomorrow for you bros

[quote name='baz8771']Do you guys just ask at every sale, regardless of the hosts "do you guys happen to have any video games"? What's the success rate on that?[/QUOTE]

For me, the success rate is very low. But others report pretty good results. Every week someone will have an SNES or N64 system with 10-20 games that they got this way. So, it may be a 1 in 200 shot but worth doing.

For me, most times I get a "no" (maybe 60%), sometimes I get a "already sold them", "my husband didn't go through them--maybe next sale" or "sold them last year", sometimes I get a "keeping them for ourselves" (maybe 15%).

About 1% of the time it leads to them going inside for something but most of the time when they do, they come out with something I don't want. For instance, yesterday I waited an extra 5-10 mins. for 4 really crappy (kiddie) PS1 games--which I didn't buy. I have gotten 2 so-so pickups in the last 2 years with this method.

If you are in a very competitive area, its a good way to find out why you don't find many games :whistle2:( I've had more than a few sellers remark, "you're the 3rd person who asked that" . . . fuck

What you might try is making up some little business cards that say "Buying Video Games" and handing them out. A few years ago one CAGer reported some results with this because someone's sister's neighbor's boss's nephew . . . ;-)

I just went to one sale today that was advertising a Wii. The Wii was dusty and was in a package with 4 disk-only games, and was marked $120. I passed.

In the same box, though, there was a huge stack of disk-only PS1 / PS2 games and randomly Mario Party DS. I looked through the stack of games, picked out ones that I thought were worth something, and asked how much. I paid the asking price of $10 for the stack. List of the games:

Star Ocean: The Second Story Disc 1 + Disc 2
Chrono Trigger Official Soundtrack
Kartia: The World of Fate:hot:
The Legend of Dragoon Discs 1, 2, 3, 4
Odin Sphere
Grandia III Disc 1 + Disc 2
Final Fantasy VIII Disc 1 + Disc 2
Final Fantasy IX Disc 2, 3, 4 - no Disc 1 :(
Suikoden Tactics Limited Edition Soundtrack

He said he threw out all the cases to save space :roll:

So in addition to that stack of games I also got Mario Party DS, which for whatever reason, did have its case, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess guide book.

To sum it up:

Stack of pretty good disc-only PS1/PS2 games - $10
Mario Party DS - $2
Zelda Twilight Princess guide book - $1.50

EDIT: just realized Mario Party DS is still sealed !!! I'm happy

Last edited by a moderator:
Left home at 5 A.M. stayed out until about 8 only hit about 5 sales. Found some stuff but I feel I overpaid.

Gamecube with 2 PS2 Controllers- $10
Pretty sure if I tried I could have got it for $5. Kid wasn hesitant on throwing out a price

Crash Team Racing Table Top Pinball- $3 Bucks

SNES (No controllers or power cord) w/MK2 and MK3- $5
I was the first person at the sale asked about games and they brought it out. I ask about a price guy hesitates and than says $35. The wife sees the shock in my face and asks how much I was thinking. I say, "like $2" (never hurts to try worse they can do is tell you to get the hell out). "How about $7?" she replies. I come back with $5 and it's accepted. Dude looked equal parts pissed and hurt.

N64 w/9 Games and a racing wheel + A NES 2 Controllers 18 so-so NES (Castlevania 2 Yay!) games and 1 SNES Game- $50
Wanted $80 for both I threw out $50 he accepted so fast should have went lower

Only problem is NES is giving me either the blinkie light/screen or a totally green screen. My other NES is doing the same thing anything I can do to fix em without buying a new 72 pin connector?

Deadstranger, what are the N64 games? . . . if you have some good ones then the deal may be a pretty good one.

[quote name='slowdive21']I just need to buy a house at this point, so I don't miss out on any more deals. ;) (and for storage).

I've also decided I need a smartphone of some type, so I can check Craigslist when I am out. [/QUOTE]

Is your apt. full?

It has gotten to a point where CL needs to be checked as the morning has gotten underway (like at 10am). A laptop and a wifi hotspot might do it . . .

This was my other great score of the weekend. Friday, I hit this sale and there is a table loaded with CDs--I hear that they are .75 each but don't know how that figures on box sets which I'm after. And as I'm pulling some (this is good value stuff--classical, opera, jazz, broadway shows), this lady remarks that many are missing discs. I keep going and have pulled about 100 winners but then as I check, many are without discs--WTF.

The guy running the sale explains that these are from his hoarding roomate . . . he goes inside and pulls out a huge stack (100-150) of discs. The other buyers have left . . . I think this one woman bought about 10 CDs. I'm starting to cull through my disc-less ones but then I decide to just go big. I don't want to sit around and try to match up discs and cases.

Experience is teaching me this . . . don't screw around just swing for the HR.

"How about $100 for everything?" I'm probably in for at least $50 anyway. The guy likes this idea but needs to consult with the hoarder . . . and I then negotiate with him through the screen door . . . very weird. He counters $150 . . . so I come back $120 and we settle on $125.

6 boxes of CDs. I really have no firm idea . . . but I'll guess that this something like 600 CDs.

My wife and I spent at least an hour Friday night putting together discs and cases. I still have about 70 cases without discs and about 40 discs without cases. The guy at the sale first suggested that there were boxes of additional CDs but later in the day said they had been sold at an earlier sale. I suspect (based on the situation) that the hoarder is taking it hard. I left my number in case they "find" any more discs or cases.

I think ultimately I'll list maybe 150-200 of them for easily over 1K in ultimate sales. Just some of the sealed stuff is worth a few hundred. The rest (with sub $4-5 in value) will probably go to stores (maybe Half-Price Books) and perhaps I'll recoup $40-100 out of those.

But this will require time and effort and storage is always an issue.

[quote name='schultzed']Deadstranger, what are the N64 games? . . . if you have some good ones then the deal may be a pretty good one.
[/QUOTE]

Mario Party
Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Stadium
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong
Beetle Adventure Racing!
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
Hey You, Pikachu
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire

The deal isn't completely bad because I know someone who wants an NES (Just gotta figure out how to fix it) And the first 5 games I can sell for 10-20. Except Mario Party (Keeping it), the others I have.

Nice find on the CDs. Perhaps the screen door was like a force field so the hoarder wouldn't attack?

ADDED:
So Simons Quest starts right up but TMNT, TMNT the Arcade Game and Karate Kid give me the green screen...

[quote name='DeadStranger']ADDED:
So Simons Quest starts right up but TMNT, TMNT the Arcade Game and Karate Kid give me the green screen...[/QUOTE]

Clean the games pins with alcohol and a q-tip. The games are probably just really dirty. Make sure to uses 91% alcohol to prevent and get rid of any corrosion.

[quote name='schultzed']
Is your apt. full?
[/QUOTE]

There is still a 1 foot walkway through the room. :lol: I leave myself islands so I can walk, but most people probably would not be able to navigate it.

When I say "I don't have room." I mean it literally. Stuff is stacked to the ceiling (on the walls). It is at a point where I have to either stop buying or dumping a lot of stuff. I have a lot of magazines I got free (probably 2000 or so from the free subscriptions threads), that I think I am just going to donate the majority of them for the tax write-off.

I probably qualify for hoarders at this point, but I do not keep old food and I try to keep everything clean/dust free.

The biggest problem I have is listing on amazon/half/ebay and researching where I would get the highest price.

I would like a barcode scanner that just enters a upc to a website. I tried to use a xbox 360 webcam with some program, but it didn't work.

Basically all I am looking for is to scan or snap a pic and have it auto populate the numbers in the search bar, so I don't have to manually enter them.

[quote name='alexkidd4']Clean the games pins with alcohol and a q-tip. The games are probably just really dirty. Make sure to uses 91% alcohol to prevent and get rid of any corrosion.[/QUOTE]

Ahh damn I've been using 50%.

[quote name='DeadStranger']Ahh damn I've been using 50%.[/QUOTE]

lol, its not that bad. Check out vinnieblacklodge on youtube. He seems to of gone through the trial and error process when it comes to NES.

http://youtu.be/bPOraMgA1Ak

[quote name='DeadStranger']Ahh damn I've been using 50%.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='alexkidd4']lol, its not that bad. Check out vinnieblacklodge on youtube. He seems to of gone through the trial and error process when it comes to NES.

[/QUOTE]

Simple chemistry boys. The higher the alcohol %, the less water, the quicker it evaporates, the lower the chances of damaging electronics. ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']There is still a 1 foot walkway through the room. :lol: I leave myself islands so I can walk, but most people probably would not be able to navigate it.

When I say "I don't have room." I mean it literally. Stuff is stacked to the ceiling (on the walls). It is at a point where I have to either stop buying or dumping a lot of stuff. I have a lot of magazines I got free (probably 2000 or so from the free subscriptions threads), that I think I am just going to donate the majority of them for the tax write-off.

I probably qualify for hoarders at this point, but I do not keep old food and I try to keep everything clean/dust free.

The biggest problem I have is listing on amazon/half/ebay and researching where I would get the highest price.

I would like a barcode scanner that just enters a upc to a website. I tried to use a xbox 360 webcam with some program, but it didn't work.

Basically all I am looking for is to scan or snap a pic and have it auto populate the numbers in the search bar, so I don't have to manually enter them.[/QUOTE]

Just signed you up for the show hoarders. :D No, but seriously, you should have a CAG lowball with your games. You could make a nice profit from all the nice bundles you pick up.

Picked up these today-

Vay - Sega CD (complete with map) $2
Three dirty dwarves - Sega saturn (complete and mint) $4
Herc's adventurers - Sega saturn (complete and mint) $4
Sonic 2 adventure battle (GC) $1
Beyond good and evil (GC) $2
C & C red alert retaliation (PS1) $2
Crash bandicoot (PS1) $2

The first three i was very happy to find....quality over quanity today.

[quote name='baz8771']Do you guys just ask at every sale, regardless of the hosts "do you guys happen to have any video games"? What's the success rate on that?[/QUOTE]

It has never worked for me, I have tried hundreds of times. There was only one time in many years of yard sailing when there was a partial amount of N64 stuff on the lawn and once I started looking through it the kid brought out more stuff for me to look through but this was when there was already stuff on the lawn. As far as asking for games at sales that have none it has never worked for me.

I have rarely had you missed it comments from people when asking, maybe once or twice.

Overall for the type of area I live in its not really worth the effort for me to ask at every house. Sometimes I ask but I am selective about who I ask, since a lot of sales I run into are old ladies with nothing but glassware and old clothes or moms with 1-2 year old kids and those types of houses aren't gonna have games, and asking an old lady about games can get pretty confusing since most don't even know what a video game is. If its a house where the family appears to have young boys or kids that are a little older than toddlers then it probably does pay to ask if there are any games for sale. Not trying to stereotype here but that is what I have found. I am not sure why its so rare to find a house that houses something other than an old lady with glassware or someone else besides a 1-2 year old or even a 3-4 year old that has nothing but masses of outgrown toys...

Wii systems are basically worthless now that WiiU has been announced, I would watch out for that since its gonna be pretty hard to turn a profit on one considering that ebay prices are very low for wii systems right now. Most people will probably want more than ebay prices at yard sales because in their mind its probably still the hottest thing on the market. Unless you can get a wii for like $20-30 it probably isn't worth it.

I used to ask here and there, but now there are items I ask for at every sale.

I find if I ask about video games, most people think I am talking about VHS "Video" tapes (I think Sara mentioned that in the past). Usually the first response is "No". But if I chat with them a little bit, it tends to jog their memory. I pretty much always engage them about something they have for sale that I may be able to relate to games.

It is hard for me to explain...especially in writing (talking is faster/easier for me). If I see anything like a lone random ps1 sports game, I will say "I see you have a PlayStation game here, do you have any other games?"
Usually they will say "No" or "that's all we have left."

I then respond with "What about old ones like the Nintendo. I like the old ones because they are easier to play."

Pretty much everytime I say that they respond with "We had one of those _____ (insert console name here)...What happened to it?"

I also tend to ask for "comics" or "any boys toys like Gi Joes, transformers, he-man" I always ask for games first because most people know comics and GI Joe toys are collectable.

I did have success last weekend (not posted yet) at 2 sales by asking for games. I was actually going to post now, but I don't want to double post. :)

Went to a flea market while waiting to board our cruise ship tomorrow. Picked up final fantasy 7 interactive demo for $1.

Not that bad. Found some other games but people wanted $20 bucks more than things we're worth.

Two instances: a woman has a crap ton of games. I look and see a bunch of rares. Than I see her prices, $50 for Mario rpg (cart had marker all over it). I backed away.

Next booth a old lady with stacks and stacks of games. Same deal I than see a game with no price, I ask her how much, she pulls out a folder with a printed Internet list. I just walked away.

[quote name='slowdive21']The biggest problem I have is listing on amazon/half/ebay and researching where I would get the highest price.

I would like a barcode scanner that just enters a upc to a website. Basically all I am looking for is to scan or snap a pic and have it auto populate the numbers in the search bar, so I don't have to manually enter them.[/QUOTE]

I broke down and bought one of these a few months ago. I have been manually entering numbers for years but my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be . . . doh!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OUTYBE
For $30, it works pretty well.

I never worry about the highest price. I'm more concerned about moving things out of the house. I think if you commit to one site, the prices balance out in the long run . . . you make an extra $3 here, you lose $4 there, you gain $1 here. I stick with Amazon because the traffic seems strongest there.

[quote name='SaraAB']It has never worked for me, I have tried hundreds of times. There was only one time in many years of yard sailing when there was a partial amount of N64 stuff on the lawn and once I started looking through it the kid brought out more stuff for me to look through but this was when there was already stuff on the lawn. As far as asking for games at sales that have none it has never worked for me.

I have rarely had you missed it comments from people when asking, maybe once or twice.

Overall for the type of area I live in its not really worth the effort for me to ask at every house. Sometimes I ask but I am selective about who I ask, since a lot of sales I run into are old ladies with nothing but glassware and old clothes or moms with 1-2 year old kids and those types of houses aren't gonna have games, and asking an old lady about games can get pretty confusing since most don't even know what a video game is. If its a house where the family appears to have young boys or kids that are a little older than toddlers then it probably does pay to ask if there are any games for sale. Not trying to stereotype here but that is what I have found. I am not sure why its so rare to find a house that houses something other than an old lady with glassware or someone else besides a 1-2 year old or even a 3-4 year old that has nothing but masses of outgrown toys...[/QUOTE]

There is a guy on youtube name bithead1000 who doesn't go to advertised yard sales at all. He just drives around asking for video games. He has been pretty consistent with the pick ups and last week he even found Earthbound. Check him out... http://youtu.be/0byAVf-yBTs

Out of town for the week and went saling with mom...

Thur eve found a few PS2 games for $1 each
Barbie's Horse
SW Jedi Academy
Disney quiz trivia never used with 4 buzzers and sealed game

Fri
wii GH world tour $1
PS2 SW BF II $2
Gamecube with 5 disc only games $5

Sat
2 (yes 2...) but only one complete Virtual Boys with 3 games $3

Last minute find on the Boys threw off my packing for the plane, but worth the effort!

Found another dreamcast on the cheap
1001226.jpg
Has 8 games but nothing amazing, only the one pictured with case/manual.

My camera busted while uploading the gamecube stuff so Ill just tell you what the bundle was.

Original Gamecube 1 controller all cables, 2 memory cards

LoZ: Wind Waker
LoZ: Collector's Ed.
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Mario Party 6 and 7
Billy Hatcher

Gamecube stuff for $20. Cleaned out pretty good I think

[quote name='schultzed']I broke down and bought one of these a few months ago. I have been manually entering numbers for years but my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be . . . doh!

I never worry about the highest price. I'm more concerned about moving things out of the house. I think if you commit to one site, the prices balance out in the long run . . . you make an extra $3 here, you lose $4 there, you gain $1 here. I stick with Amazon because the traffic seems strongest there.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I rarely bother with eBay anymore because of the time it takes to make a listing, and I have thousands of items. On amazon, we rarely take a loss, but may have a profit on an item for only $.25. But other items we easily make larger profits.

And if you are looking for a cheap scanner, keep your eyes peeled for the USB version of one of these: http://www.amazon.com/CueCat-PS-Standard-Barcode-Scanner/dp/B0006SJTOY
I picked one up at GW for like a nickel a few months back. The only thing is by default, they were made to encode the barcodes, so you would have to use their proprietary software. But opening it up and snipping a connector fixes that. It's not the greatest, since it's a swipe scanner, but it works well with most types of barcodes, even USPS Delivery Confirmation barcodes.

[quote name='sp00ge']
And if you are looking for a cheap scanner, keep your eyes peeled for the USB version of one of these: http://www.amazon.com/CueCat-PS-Standard-Barcode-Scanner/dp/B0006SJTOY
I picked one up at GW for like a nickel a few months back. The only thing is by default, they were made to encode the barcodes, so you would have to use their proprietary software. But opening it up and snipping a connector fixes that. It's not the greatest, since it's a swipe scanner, but it works well with most types of barcodes, even USPS Delivery Confirmation barcodes.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it looks like a cat!

[quote name='sp00ge']I agree. I rarely bother with eBay anymore because of the time it takes to make a listing, and I have thousands of items. On amazon, we rarely take a loss, but may have a profit on an item for only $.25. But other items we easily make larger profits.

I picked one up at GW for like a nickel a few months back. The only thing is by default, they were made to encode the barcodes, so you would have to use their proprietary software. But opening it up and snipping a connector fixes that. It's not the greatest, since it's a swipe scanner, but it works well with most types of barcodes, even USPS Delivery Confirmation barcodes.[/QUOTE]Holy crap, we have one of those around here somewhere, and I've been wondering what it was for yeeears. I know I got it when I was a kid for free somewhere, but I can't remember for the life of me where.

Been busy but here are my gaming finds from this past weekend:

These are Thursday finds:

Each group was $3 . . . the carts may have been $4 (can't quite remember).

Friday . . . pretty pitiful but I did get the huge classical CD score and a bunch of DVDs (not the big Sat. DVD haul that I posted but there are a few interesting ones I'll pic Friday DVDs later).

Sunshine was marked $5 and I got it for $4 . . . the book was .25.

Saturday . . . I paid $3 for a complete copy of:

I might've talked them down but they had just priced me $1 on 5 books that I think will sell for $50-100. This was after my DVD score and I was just heading home.

Also on route home:

$3 for the pair . . . I'm pretty desperate for games!

I'm starting to think its pointless to even attempt yard sailing for video games in Rhode Island. All of the re-sellers have the state on lock down. They have their hounds from hell up at the crack of dawn knocking on peoples windows asking for games. If I could team up with another gamer who yard sales I probably could cover more ground but everyone else is probably fed up dealing with the same crap. :headache::wall::cry:

[quote name='alexkidd4']I'm starting to think its pointless to even attempt yard sailing for video games in Rhode Island. All of the re-sellers have the state on lock down. [/QUOTE]

Keep at it . . . maybe you'll find a space for yourself.

Hey, Slowdive what was your find last week???

Forgot to post my Saturday finds. Here they are.

Dscn6638.jpg

All $1 each; all complete.

Dscn6639.jpg

$10 total. Guide is water-damaged (how do people do this?!) but usable, and 2 XBL 3-month cards should be easy to flip.

Dscn6640.jpg

$2 for this. Includes 6 floppies, CD-rom version, manuals, and extra contents. I can see why the classic LucasArts games are so collectible.

Dscn6641.jpg

$10 for the Sega Nomad. I was excited to find this. It works ok but the screen sucks and has a line of dead pixels about 3/4 the way up. Includes AC adapter, battery pack (not pictured) and a rechargeable battery pack. I guess I remembered wrong about how much these are worth, but still a pretty good pickup.

Dscn6642.jpg

Atari 2600 lot. Includes lots of games, 2 joysticks, paddle controllers, and touch pad controller for Star Raiders. Paid $20 because I have been wanting an Atari FOREVER. I need an adapter for the video cable to test it, I'll be pissed if it doesn't work.

Pretty fun weekend, but expensive.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']

Dscn6642.jpg

Atari 2600 lot. Includes lots of games, 2 joysticks, paddle controllers, and touch pad controller for Star Raiders. Paid $20 because I have been wanting an Atari FOREVER. I need an adapter for the video cable to test it, I'll be pissed if it doesn't work.

[/QUOTE]

Go to Radio Shack and pick up an RCA to Coaxial adapter. It's a little brass fitting that will allow you to plug into your "antenna in" on your TV. It should cost no more than 3-4 dollars.

BTW, nice find on Popeye.

[quote name='schultzed']I broke down and bought one of these a few months ago. I have been manually entering numbers for years but my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be . . . doh!

I never worry about the highest price. I'm more concerned about moving things out of the house. I think if you commit to one site, the prices balance out in the long run . . . you make an extra $3 here, you lose $4 there, you gain $1 here. I stick with Amazon because the traffic seems strongest there.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sp00ge']I agree. I rarely bother with eBay anymore because of the time it takes to make a listing, and I have thousands of items. On amazon, we rarely take a loss, but may have a profit on an item for only $.25. But other items we easily make larger profits.

I picked one up at GW for like a nickel a few months back. The only thing is by default, they were made to encode the barcodes, so you would have to use their proprietary software. But opening it up and snipping a connector fixes that. It's not the greatest, since it's a swipe scanner, but it works well with most types of barcodes, even USPS Delivery Confirmation barcodes.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips guys. I saw those quecats before, but I am looking for something that requires little to no effort on my end. I might have to open an amazon store and get one of those $30 scanners. I still have to run some numbers, since ebay changed their fee structure yet again (although I get 20% off for being a top rated power seller).

[quote name='schultzed']
Hey, Slowdive what was your find last week???[/QUOTE]

Here is the first set of items:

Hopefully some VHS I can sell and TMNT 2 Back From the Sewers $2 total
(asked about other games, never got a call back)

6e0a9f3d.jpg

Ninja Force Storm Shadow /weapons / N64 controller $1.50 total.

Story:
Sale advertised NES, SNES, Gensis systems and games. It was posted on CL after I had already left my house. By the time I got home I figured they had already been hit. I did eventually make it there (after contemplating if it was worth the drive since it was basically the farthest point from my house in the same city) and I asked about games.

The lady said they sold right away to a guy that was there 15 minutes early. She also said "He rode his bike all the way from (basically where I live. 12 miles away!) and bought most of the game stuff. A lady snatched up everything else."

I know the lady was my nemesis's wife (after our conversation), but it made me happy that a fellow gamer got to the good stuff. It did make me question my high levels of apathy/laziness though. ;)

bd77fca7.jpg

Paid 25 cents each for the text books.

I noticed one has a syllabus in it from last year, so I figured it is still in use.

One I have a trade locked in for 9.10 (I would do better if I sold it though) and one of the others I think is still in use, so I might just list it for sale. The other 2 not so much.

b8559822.jpg

1e9f1bd0.jpg

Asked about games and got 4 GBA games for $1. The 2 Super Mario Land games were $1 each at a different sale.

2b2d1695.jpg

This was all I found at the huge sale I drove to that was 30 minutes form my house. I think I already told the story.

25 cents each. Gizmo and Stay Puff Marshmallow man figures.

73bace0a.jpg

[quote name='schultzed']
0708sunshine.th.jpg

Sunshine was marked $5 and I got it for $4 . . . the book was .25![/QUOTE]

Awesome find on that book. I've sold several copies for anywhere from $40 - $60 a piece.

[quote name='Doomstink']Awesome find on that book. I've sold several copies for anywhere from $40 - $60 a piece.[/QUOTE]

I was a little surprised when I looked up its value.

Where and when did you sell them? It's more like $30 now on Amazon (at least used ones). I bet it spikes up a bit during the holiday rush.

Hey I have a question for you guys, I found a Duke Nukem 3D "level design handbook" for $1.25 at a sale and I didn't see any being sold on Ebay. Do you guys think it's worth anything? Sorry I don't have any pics but Ican't get the USB from my phone into my computer :(

EDIT got a pic from google

lvledit.gif

post 1 here

Got these WWF VHS tapes from a nice lady who kept calling me "mijo". I ended up paying .25 each ($6 total).

Hopefully I can make some cash on them.

They actually had games/systems, but the Mom was not allowed to sell them. I talked to the son on the phone who was out of state and left my number if he wants to sell some stuff.

5bd48afb.jpg

e055b700.jpg

b9422863.jpg

I bought this at the comic book guy's sale. The low-fi / vintage synth people will like it. :D

CASIO MT-800 with ROM packs and booklets. $5

a5f16d2e.jpg

cbf74f88.jpg

faeee472.jpg

Some N64 games: Paid $5 total.

Story: I did slowdive's still unnamed tactic to get them for $1 each.

She had a Sega with some games and a N64 with some games. I asked what she wanted for the sega stuff and she said $3 per game and $20 for the console (meh). She also had The Punisher as I described before, but wanted $10 for it as a firm price (formal rental, no instructions or tattoo, covered in stickers).

So for the N64 lot rather than asking what she wanted for the individual games/system, I first asked what she wanted for all of it. She said "for everything? I don't know $35?"

I then said "How much would you like just for the system?" (I only wanted to cherry pick the games, but this is part of the method)

"Umm, I guess $25"

"Ok well you have 10 games here, that would mean the games are $1 each right?"

"Yeah I guess."

"OK I'll take these 5" (and handed her a $5 bill)

;)

da819784.jpg

More to come:bouncy:

Nice, I am totally using that slowdive.

Do you guys have much success at church sales? There are a few going on Saturday, and I was wondering if they are worth it? Or if I should stick to normal sales.

Church sales are good in my area. A lot of kids I went to school with were catholic and went to church every sunday, and their parents are always willing to sell their old games. At previous sales I have bought my old classmate's games without knowing it.

I guess it depends on the area

[quote name='slowdive21']
I bought this at the comic book guy's sale. The low-fi / vintage synth people will like it. :D

CASIO MT-800 with ROM packs and booklets. $5

a5f16d2e.jpg

More to come:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

You finally got another Keyboard! Nice Job!

[quote name='schultzed']I was a little surprised when I looked up its value.

Where and when did you sell them? It's more like $30 now on Amazon (at least used ones). I bet it spikes up a bit during the holiday rush.[/QUOTE]

The two I've sold most recently were for $40 each and I believe I sold those about a year ago. The other copy I sold went for $60 to an international buyer who needed it for a research paper. I believe that was in the fall of 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back