Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='yoyo1316']Ya I just figured that out but still pretty happy I found these[/QUOTE]

They're still a fantastic find, they look nice and minty and any vintage star wars find is thrilling at a yard sale these days, but as a life-long star wars collector, I could recognize the difference just from your picture. :D

I'm going to start with Thursday finds.

Not many sales so I was happy to see this early on:

The box says $15 . . . so I got it for $10 and the old lady is willing to throw in 2 books (would have been .50 each) and one of the books is worth $40.
Honestly I probably would've passed on the system if it weren't for the games in the box . . . even then, one game made it all worthwhile:

Note the burned copies . . . will those work? The nice complete copy of Project Justice is sweet.

So I ask about games at a sale and the woman sends her kids into the house to for hunt for DS and Wii games. Of course, my mental image of copies of Super Mario Bros. and Twlight Princess along with complete copies of cool DS games is shattered by the reality:

I paid $8 for the DS games and SWFU and then later when I'm home, I looked up the Michael Jackson game--which I passed on thinking it was worthless. I had to go back out anyway but I cruise back and hope to get the game . . . she suggests $5 . . . which was fine with me. I already sold it on Amazon for $30.

These are from 2 pawn shops but I'm going to throw them in anyway.
One shop I was in for the first time. I had no idea he had games . . . I asked on GC games and he says $20 . . . WTF. But he sells me a nice complete copy of Allied General for $3.

The other shop is pretty skanky . . . I'm not very comfortable in the place. But I'm digging through some SNES crap and find Zelda. He wants $3 or 2 games for $5 . . . so, I grab the next best game and get out. I always liked Lost Vikings and was happy to see it has some value.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schultzed']
The other shop is pretty skanky . . . I'm not very comfortable with it. I'm digging through some SNES crap and find Zelda. He wants $3 or 2 for $5 . . . so, I grab the next best game and get out.[/QUOTE]
Nice finds. I went to a pawn shop a few days ago looking for a n64, I walk in and ask the lady if she has any, she said no. However while I was leaving she decided to let me in on a hot tip that nintendo 64's are collectors items and are exspensive and to check eBay and Craigslist -_-. The store was a mess too.

Model 1 Dreamcasts can play burned copies of games Shultzed. You can download roms and just burn them with any old CD burner to a CD-R.

I could have had the best score today. I heard Playmobil sets were worth a lot of money from this very site. Can you guess where this is going? I saw two sets, in the original box for $5 each. I don't know if these ones were valuable or not but I bet they were.... sadly due to me not wanting to start up an Ebay or Amazon account... I DIDN'T BUY THEM! *jumps off bridge* :booty::hot::booty:
On the bright side I picked up Pikmin for $1 and can get $4 for it on Amazon trade in. At another sale I got a few crap DVDS and 2 PS2 games for $4. I thought I would get a profit on them but in the end the PS2 games (Big Mutha trucker 2 and a Socom 1 game) were worth .25 each so I just kept them for my collection. After paying for boxes at UPS I will take a small hit on the DVDs but I won't sell them untill I get more things to trade in. I still have a 360 wheel to trade in but becuase it has not box it's worth only $8 instead of $20-$30:(

[quote name='JediKiller24']They're still a fantastic find, they look nice and minty and any vintage star wars find is thrilling at a yard sale these days, but as a life-long star wars collector, I could recognize the difference just from your picture. :D[/QUOTE]

Remind me to post my luke I got for at a flea market. No one on the star wars collectors boards could positively identify it. I originally thought it was an early bird, since it is still in the baggie, but I do not think it has a double telescoping lightsaber. I looked over the bag and it doesn't appear to be resealed, so as a long time SW collector I am stumped.

[quote name='Mr Snarp Snarps']After paying for boxes at UPS I will take a small hit on the DVDs but I won't sell them untill I get more things to trade in. I still have a 360 wheel to trade in but becuase it has not box it's worth only $8 instead of $20-$30:([/QUOTE]

Don't ever buy boxes. Ask at any retail chain for small boxes (usually you have to ask them to hold them for you). Candy boxes work well and the dollar stores always have them. ;)

Well, my first time posting pictures, this is from the last 2 weeks or so.

DSC04770.jpg

Well, first things first, the most money I've ever spent at a single garage sale, $100 for Xbox 360 (no harddrive), wireless controller, cables; and Wii, 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchuks, 2 steering wheels, 2 guns, and a golf club. And I had to borrow money from dad, so I still owe $50 back to him. I'm waiting to trade these until Game Stop does another of it's all too common extra $25 sales, at which point I should get around $200 for both. Until then, I guess I have a Wii (already have a 360 slim). Too bad they sold New Super Mario and Mario Kart before I got there, and all that was left was good but not great (and overpriced) stuff that I couldn't make money on. And silly me not trying to work at least one game into the package. What was I thinking?

DSC04772.jpg

$17.50 for all, Xbox doesn't have cables, no charger or stylus for DSLite. 22 Xbox games in total (3 copies of Halo CE, but only one case) plus 2 Wii Netflix disks, and Super Scribblenauts in the DS, but I'm keeping Halo 2 since I haven't played it, and it'll go nice after playing Halo CE Anniversary in November.

DSC04773.jpg

$20 for all. NES: Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, Bart vs Radioactive Man, Rampage, Tetris. Wario Land Virtual Boy, 8 Game Gear games, Mortal Combat Trilogy N64, Castlevania 64

DSC04774.jpg

$10 for all. No charger for the GBA. Come to think of it, I also have another Blue GBA in a box from a week ago with no charger, so I have two of those now. Here's hoping I find chargers soon. Notable is Pokemon Blue, Zelda Minish Cap GBA, Super Mario Advance 1 and 4. NES has no cords or controllers, SNES only the one cord. SNES was free.

DSC04775.jpg

$15 for all. About 20 to 25 Genesis games. I think the system works, haven't tried it though. Plus Super Mario World SNES.

DSC04776.jpg

$10 for all. FFVII Black Label and Paper Mario in box with manual are for eBay. Plus Super Mario Advance 3 and Game Genie NES.

DSC04777.jpg

And finally, $22 for all. Included is Zelda OoT with Master Quest GameCube, with manual and Wind Waker insert. ALso, Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2.

[quote name='JediKiller24']They're still a fantastic find, they look nice and minty and any vintage star wars find is thrilling at a yard sale these days, but as a life-long star wars collector, I could recognize the difference just from your picture. :D[/QUOTE]

You are correct, its a single, but would you happen to know how much this whole lot is worth?

[quote name='yoyo1316']You are correct, its a single, but would you happen to know how much this whole lot is worth?[/QUOTE]

I'll give you my opinion on what I would expect you to get at auction for those 11 figures: (understand it's just my opinion, and you may do better or worse, the star wars market fluctuates like everything else)

first let me say, that those are some of the more common figures, bespin leia with her cape is probably the stand out. I see tape on their hands, do they all have weapons? having the weapons is going to give you a boost in value. The 'Big Head' han solo, imo, is the more commonly found version (there's a small head version too), and I can't tell from the picture, is that a basic R2-D2? (no sensor scope or light saber sticking up from his head?)
anyway, I would expect as a lot, you'd get between $30-$40 at auction.

One thing to check on your luke skywalker: look at the back of the leg where the copyright info is. If it's 3 lines of text like this:

G.M.F.G
hong kong

then you would do better to sell that one seperately, as that variation could bring $20.
GMFG stands for General Mills Fun Group, and the early star wars toys were used with some general mills promotions. You can find a variety of figures with that GMFG on them. I have a 12" C-3PO from that era that has 'general mills fun group' written on his back with the copyright.

also the toy catalog can sell up to $15 if you're patient and get the right buyer. The problem with those is that a lot of ebay sellers will throw those up at $1, and they'll sell low, but sometimes you can get a higher price from an impulse buyer.

anyway, good luck with them, it's a nice lot you found. oh, and I wanted to mention congrats on the $5 falcon in box, that was a steal! Is it complete with the training ball and all the little parts? awesome find for $5.

A little tale of woe . . .

Last week, I was pretty busy and I had some major scores. But I remember bypassing one particular sale on Friday. It was in a zone where I've had little to no success and this area is a confusing trap of streets (with no backside outlet). If the street listed on the sign had been familiar to me, I probably would have ventured in or if there had been other sales posted. At any rate, I was short on time . . . and I would have hit it on Sat. but I ventured out of town for my major DVD score.

The sale was still going on this week but again I skipped it on Friday . . . thinking the sign just hadn't been taken down. But on Sat. there was another sale on the bigger street in the neighborhood. Turns out that even though I didn't know the street, it was just 2 blocks from the major street where both signs were posted. So, I'm hitting this sale on its 4th day and not even early at that.

So, lets start with this cart:

The yard is scattered with toys in big bins--most of which looks like junk to my eyes. I pull together an SNES deck, 2 controllers, power adapter, Sim City and SMW . . . I bring it over to this teen and say would you take $10 for this. "Well I got a guy on CL coming to get it for $25" . . . rather than call him a liar, I say "he's not coming . . . how about $15." No dice. How much for just SMW . . . $5. So, I grab it and these . . .

He agrees to $8 for the trio . . . which is great until later at home when I see . . .

I know I checked the Sims 2 because its a 2-disc set . . . but I was moving fast. Must always check discs but this is only a $2 error and I did get 2 erector sets thrown in to make this first taste an even $10 . . .

I wasn't expecting much (missing pieces . . .) but for $1 each, its worth the risk and not worth the time messing around with them there.
The Empire State set is a hot mess inside . . . might be complete but its semi constructed. The Capitol set looks sweet:

At this point, I get this stuff in the car and look around some more. I'm sure that Slowdive would've picked some valuable toys but I just don't know the stuff or have time. One guy is closing on a huge group of Fisher Price toys. I had seen them right away but these are just the playsets . . . there must've been 10 of them but all common . . . the garage, school . . . they look rough and have no people or accessories and no boxes. So, they are not for me. As the guy pays, the seller and buyer are talking about how he can make some money on ebay . . . which I know isn't going to be much for just the shells.

The seller says last week someone bought all the people and accessories were in big bags and in a tub and everything . . . DOH!

I did some digging and come up with a bunch of sealed exercise DVDs which the teen lets me have for .50 each . . . WTF:

These should be excellent flips when buyers do their New Year's resolutions in January.

I'm pretty certain that someone(s) got some major gaming scores at the sale last week when I turn this up for .50:

This will marry nicely with a cheap GBP I have laying around. Clearly there had been a whole lot more gaming stuff (and toys) at this sale. Who knows what great GC games they had? The couple sports titles and disc-less FE suggest I missed out.

I'm done but then I notice there is a little more stuff in the garage. There I get a nice TI-84 for $2 . . . my first calculator of the year. Plus a few cheap DVD box sets . . .

While I got some very nice stuff for cheap, this one burns because I should have hit taken a few minutes and hit it last Friday morning. fuck

[quote name='slowdive21']Remind me to post my luke I got for at a flea market. No one on the star wars collectors boards could positively identify it. I originally thought it was an early bird, since it is still in the baggie, but I do not think it has a double telescoping lightsaber. I looked over the bag and it doesn't appear to be resealed, so as a long time SW collector I am stumped.

[/QUOTE]

I'm intrigued. Post a photo please! Or send me a pic...I'll have a go at it.

[quote name='schultzed']
The yard is scattered with toys in big bins--most of which looks like junk to my eyes. I pull together an SNES deck, 2 controllers, power adapter, Sim City and SMW . . . I bring it over to this teen and say would you take $10 for this. "Well I got a guy on CL coming to get it for $25" . . . rather than call him a liar, I say "he's not coming . . . how about $15." No dice. How much for just SMW . . . $5. So, I grab it and these . . .

He agrees to $8 for the trio . . . which is great until later at home when I see . . .
[/QUOTE]

You might want to check your local Gamestops for a Path of Radiance disc-only the next time a Buy 2, Get 1 Free rolls around. It's not hard on those to flip two games and end up with one for free if you know what you're doing.

Jeez, garage sales have been dead around here the last few weeks. Went to a bunch of sales in the Chicago subs and it seems like all I've seen is baby stuff (I have no kids) and old furniture.

The only game I saw at garage sales was a fat PS2 with no games and a generic controller. Lady was asking $35, I didn't even want to deal with it. About the only thing I picked up was a CD repair kit for $2. Figure I'll get enough use out of it.

Next week, I guess.

Friday:
Monopoly: Pokemon Edition

$1

Saturday:

6 NES Games (Punchout, Street Fighter 2010, Renegade, Conquest of the Crystal Palace, TMNT: The Arcade game and another game that I can't remember)
Season 4 X Files
Collectors Edition Jackie Brown
Collectors Edition Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Star Wars Episode 1 Soundtrack
The Game of Life: Simpsons Editiong
Simpsons Trivia Game
Attorneys at Flaw
Political Asylum
QBert Tray
80s (I think) Texas Instrument Speak and Math
and 1 Bottle of water

$26
Technically $16 ended up selling Punchout the same day for $10
)

Sunday:
Darth Vader Voice Changer Mask (working)
3 N64 games that've seen better days (Super Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing and Yoshis Story)
$10.
Originally wanted $30

[quote name='SaraAB']Jeez 40 DS games from a yard sale......[/QUOTE]

When I saw the games at the flea market it wasen't very impressive, probably about 5 games in the bunch a gamer would actually want to play (3 of which I bought). I think these games belonged to a girl that was about 10 or a little older from the face I remember from that yardsale when they told me about some "guy" that bought the DS games.

I've seen the same thing as you mention with old electronics, what I remember in particular is over the last few years seeing a few VCRs marked $20 yet I also see VCRs for $2 that don't seem to be selling. Some of these folks are trying to play store and some just don't seem to realize how worthless this stuff is my take. This past weekend I saw some old TVs from around the 90s marked $25-30. They would move if they were free and I would guess be most popular with somebody that recycles scrap metal if they were free.

[quote name='schultzed']A little tale of woe . . .[/QUOTE]

Was this what you mentioned about a week or two ago that you didn't have time to get into? Kind of reminds me of the sale I got some worthwhile PS1 stuff about mid morning that I skipped going to first (as I originally planned) since I remembered it having garbage for games a few years before.

You can't win them all and control everything I've kind of learned to deal with when yardsaling. I always try and play the numbers to my advantage and yet it seems often enough that an area at the end of my route that has less sales or is an area I don't normally do as well in ends up having something (or I miss out on something I'm told about).

[quote name='FOnewearl']
You can't win them all and control everything I've kind of learned to deal with when yardsaling. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know . . . this one just struck me as a "what the hell did I miss" moment.

Here's a real WTF was I thinking:

I saw this box with a 360 and it was marked RROD $10 OBO . . . so I offered $5 and walked away with it before I noticed there wasn't a hard drive . . .

But what do these red arrows mean? I'm guessing they pried it open but later tried to send it into Microsoft?

I also thought I could send the AV cable to Slowdive but its fucked up. The power adapter seems OK. I'll probably just drop it off at a thrift ASAP . . . I don't need this taking up space.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Well, my first time posting pictures, this is from the last 2 weeks or so.

DSC04770.jpg

Well, first things first, the most money I've ever spent at a single garage sale, $100 for Xbox 360 (no harddrive), wireless controller, cables; and Wii, 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchuks, 2 steering wheels, 2 guns, and a golf club. And I had to borrow money from dad, so I still owe $50 back to him. I'm waiting to trade these until Game Stop does another of it's all too common extra $25 sales, at which point I should get around $200 for both. Until then, I guess I have a Wii (already have a 360 slim). Too bad they sold New Super Mario and Mario Kart before I got there, and all that was left was good but not great (and overpriced) stuff that I couldn't make money on. And silly me not trying to work at least one game into the package. What was I thinking?

DSC04772.jpg

$17.50 for all, Xbox doesn't have cables, no charger or stylus for DSLite. 22 Xbox games in total (3 copies of Halo CE, but only one case) plus 2 Wii Netflix disks, and Super Scribblenauts in the DS, but I'm keeping Halo 2 since I haven't played it, and it'll go nice after playing Halo CE Anniversary in November.

DSC04773.jpg

$20 for all. NES: Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, Bart vs Radioactive Man, Rampage, Tetris. Wario Land Virtual Boy, 8 Game Gear games, Mortal Combat Trilogy N64, Castlevania 64

DSC04774.jpg

$10 for all. No charger for the GBA. Come to think of it, I also have another Blue GBA in a box from a week ago with no charger, so I have two of those now. Here's hoping I find chargers soon. Notable is Pokemon Blue, Zelda Minish Cap GBA, Super Mario Advance 1 and 4. NES has no cords or controllers, SNES only the one cord. SNES was free.

DSC04775.jpg

$15 for all. About 20 to 25 Genesis games. I think the system works, haven't tried it though. Plus Super Mario World SNES.

DSC04776.jpg

$10 for all. FFVII Black Label and Paper Mario in box with manual are for eBay. Plus Super Mario Advance 3 and Game Genie NES.

DSC04777.jpg

And finally, $22 for all. Included is Zelda OoT with Master Quest GameCube, with manual and Wind Waker insert. ALso, Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2.
[/QUOTE]

Nices ones! A lot of quality stuff! Is that Paper Mario 64 complete?

[quote name='schultzed']A little tale of woe . . .
Last week, I was pretty busy and I had some major scores. But I remember bypassing one particular sale on Friday. It was in a zone where I've had little to no success and this area is a confusing trap of streets (with no backside outlet). If the street listed on the sign had been familiar to me, I probably would have ventured in or if there had been other sales posted. At any rate, I was short on time . . . and I would have hit it on Sat. but I ventured out of town for my major DVD score.

The sale was still going on this week but again I skipped it on Friday . . . thinking the sign just hadn't been taken down. But on Sat. there was another sale on the bigger street in the neighborhood. Turns out that even though I didn't know the street, it was just 2 blocks from the major street where both signs were posted. So, I'm hitting this sale on its 4th day and not even early at that.

So, lets start with this cart:

I know I checked the Sims 2 because its a 2-disc set . . . but I was moving fast. Must always check discs but this is only a $2 error and I did get 2 erector sets thrown in to make this first taste an even $10 . . .

I wasn't expecting much (missing pieces . . .) but for $1 each, its worth the risk and not worth the time messing around with them there.
The Empire State set is a hot mess inside . . . might be complete but its semi constructed. The Capitol set looks sweet:

At this point, I get this stuff in the car and look around some more. I'm sure that Slowdive would've picked some valuable toys but I just don't know the stuff or have time. One guy is closing on a huge group of Fisher Price toys. I had seen them right away but these are just the playsets . . . there must've been 10 of them but all common . . . the garage, school . . . they look rough and have no people or accessories and no boxes. So, they are not for me. As the guy pays, the seller and buyer are talking about how he can make some money on ebay . . . which I know isn't going to be much for just the shells.

The seller says last week someone bought all the people and accessories were in big bags and in a tub and everything . . . DOH!

I did some digging and come up with a bunch of sealed exercise DVDs which the teen lets me have for .50 each . . . WTF:

These should be excellent flips when buyers do their New Year's resolutions in January.

I'm pretty certain that someone(s) got some major gaming scores at the sale last week when I turn this up for .50:

This will marry nicely with a cheap GBP I have laying around. Clearly there had been a whole lot more gaming stuff (and toys) at this sale. Who knows what great GC games they had? The couple sports titles and disc-less FE suggest I missed out.

I'm done but then I notice there is a little more stuff in the garage. There I get a nice TI-84 for $2 . . . my first calculator of the year. Plus a few cheap DVD box sets . . .

While I got some very nice stuff for cheap, this one burns because I should have hit taken a few minutes and hit it last Friday morning. fuck[/QUOTE]

You can't beat yourself up. I was told I missed a original NES and sega at a sale I hit on the second day this weekend (It was about 5 minutes form my house). The GBP disc and instructions will fetch $35-$40 bundled with the hardware. I think I sold one of mine for $40 with free shipping a month or two ago. (The person probably poached it and put it on amazon).

[quote name='JediKiller24']I'm intrigued. Post a photo please! Or send me a pic...I'll have a go at it.[/QUOTE]

It's probably the same figure as above but it is MIBaggie. I have a feeling it was somehow resealed because the bag / figure combo do not seem to add up to what I can find online.

On his leg:

© G.M.F.G.1. 1977
HONG KONG

I am pretty sure it is a regular light saber, because my brother had the early bird figures when we were kids.

The "Made in Hong Kong" baggie is written in White.

The pics are awful, but they are the best I can do with the bag reflections.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/buyitallcheap/star wars/

[quote name='slowdive21']It's probably the same figure as above but it is MIBaggie. I have a feeling it was somehow resealed because the bag / figure combo do not seem to add up to what I can find online.

On his leg:

© G.M.F.G.1. 1977
HONG KONG

I am pretty sure it is a regular light saber, because my brother had the early bird figures when we were kids.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/buyitallcheap/star wars/[/QUOTE]

That looks like one of the sendaway figures from about the time of ROTJ. At the time the mail in offer was the only way to get the Emperor. We also ordered the Luke figure you have there. I remember they came in plastic bags but I can't remember specifically what they looked like since that was about 28 years ago!

[quote name='slowdive21']Nices ones! A lot of quality stuff! Is that Paper Mario 64 complete?

[/QUOTE]

I think so. I have the box, game and manual. Are there any inserts that should be there? Either way, I'm probably selling on eBay, since it seems to get 30-35 routinely enough.

I sold the Xbox, NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, GBA, and other random older stuff at a local store today for $97. Took the PS2, GC, DS, and 360 stuff to Game Stop and got $93 credit. Now I just need that extra $25 trade deal so I can sell the 360 and Wii.

[quote name='TheHeef']Jeez, garage sales have been dead around here the last few weeks. Went to a bunch of sales in the Chicago subs and it seems like all I've seen is baby stuff (I have no kids) and old furniture.

The only game I saw at garage sales was a fat PS2 with no games and a generic controller. Lady was asking $35, I didn't even want to deal with it. About the only thing I picked up was a CD repair kit for $2. Figure I'll get enough use out of it.

Next week, I guess.[/QUOTE] I wish I could find a PS2 like that at a garage sale lol. I would have payed like $25 for that one! I really want to play Xenosaga but noooo. The PS2 I bought on Amazon broke one day after the 30 day period that I could have returned it.

[quote name='schultzed']Yeah, I know . . . this one just struck me as a "what the hell did I miss" moment.

Here's a real WTF was I thinking:

I saw this box with a 360 and it was marked RROD $10 OBO . . . so I offered $5 and walked away with it before I noticed there wasn't a hard drive . . .

But what do these red arrows mean? I'm guessing they pried it open but later tried to send it into Microsoft?

I also thought I could send the AV cable to Slowdive but its fucked up. The power adapter seems OK. I'll probably just drop it off at a thrift ASAP . . . I don't need this taking up space.[/QUOTE]

Man I wish I could have it...*wink* *wink* *Nudge* *Nudge*
But Alas I can never buy things online....no Paypal or Credit card. (Mother Won't put one on the internet because the info Could get stolen...) Mainly why she won't is because our Old computer was bugged to hell and beyond.....We had our buddy *fix* it so many times.....Poor thing.....

My dad goes out garage saling by himself during the week, and he set up for me to buy a PS2 slim on Wednesday, with 6 games, for $20. And she's turned away others asking about it, and is counting on me, so as long as it's got the cords and isn't frayed, I think I'm buying it, even if I'm not going to make much on it. (unless of the course she has 6 super awesome amazing games worth a ton, but I don't know).

[quote name='Obiwan456']My dad goes out garage saling by himself during the week, and he set up for me to buy a PS2 slim on Wednesday, with 6 games, for $20. And she's turned away others asking about it, and is counting on me, so as long as it's got the cords and isn't frayed, I think I'm buying it, even if I'm not going to make much on it. (unless of the course she has 6 super awesome amazing games worth a ton, but I don't know).[/QUOTE]

I have been looking for a PS2 for a while. Not to bring trading into this forum but, PM me if your interested in selling.

Yard saling has been pretty good to me lately. This week was one of my lighter weeks, in terms of quantity, but I got some nice things all the same. I usually drop about $80. This week I spent about $35.

YardSalesPics080.jpg

Total paid: $20. My first find of the day came at an advertised sale starting at 7am which said "please do not come early; we will not be ready and will not sell to you until 7am." I show up at 6:55, and find some middle aged man walking to his car with a stack of games. I spotted Halo 2 Collector's edition on top, and was instantly dissapointed, especially since I "followed the rules" of the sale and was punished for it. Another guy in his mid 20s was in the process of buying a fairly decent SNES bundle (non-yellowed system, cords, a controller, 4 crap games) for $10, but he said "hey, i left you a N64." I contemplated jumping right in and offering $15 for the SNES bundle right then and there (all is fair before an item is paid for, in my opinion), but took a look at the N64 bundle first, and to my delight, it was jungle green, so I let the guy have his SNES bundle without making an offer on it. I ended up with the green n64, its matching controller, a solid green controller, a grey controller (all the controllers had good buttons/sticks), a couple of rumble packs, a pokemon pack (forgot its name), Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Pilotwings, and went up to pay. The bundle was marked $30, I offered $15. Sellers (40s mom and early 20s son) commented that they sold another jungle green n64 on ebay awhile ago for more, and that it was the rare jungle green color, but they'd let it go for $20, and throw in another n64 with no power supply for free. I accepted that offer and away I went, fairly satisfied but still thinking of what could have been... Sellers also commented at how they knew the guy was checking prices on the games and how he had been there since 6:20 am. Sometimes I wonder why people make yard sale rules and then don't follow them. Learned my lesson: show up 30-45 min early to your first, top choice sale of the day, no matter what. People say one thing and do another sometimes.

YardSalesPics085.jpg

Total paid: $5. I end up at a sale of a former high school classmate at about 8:30am. He was not there, but his parents were, and they were running the sale. I ask if they have any old video games for sale, not seeing any out. They say that they indeed have some old stuff inside, and ask if I'd like to see it. I say yes, and a couple minutes later they bring out what is pictured, plus an n64 and a gray controller too. I go up with the n64, controllers, and games, and offer $10 for all of it. The mother starts with the "Oh, I don't know what it's all worth, let me go check." She goes inside, comes out a couple minutes later, and says that she just checked ebay and saw that an n64 was worth $50. I play this to my advantage (realizing that she valued the system itself very highly) by saying "Well I'm sure that was an n64 with a bunch of mario games with it. There aren't any mario games here, and I'll leave the n64 and the grey controller with you, as well (I need another n64 like I need a hole in the head; I have about 10 currently)." I then offered her $5 for everything pictured, and she hesitantly accepted. The former owner of the stuff (my classmate, the seller's son) was walking up the driveway as I walked away; it's been 5 years since I graduated and we were one year apart; he didn't recognize me). Pretty sure I got a little lucky on that one. I doubt he'd have appreciated his mom selling his stuff without his approval.

I promised pics of a mega find, and here they are. Story to follow after pics.

YardSalesPics091.jpg

YardSalesPics092.jpg

YardSalesPics106.jpg

Total paid: $20 for previous 3 pics, and some other various odds and ends. I left out some rfu adapters, a few cords, third party controllers, and the like, to keep the pictures easy to view. I also left out pics of the broken gamecube with a loose super smash bros melee gamecube disc in it (trashed the cube, sold super smash already). Also did not picture Mario Kart DS (complete), and about 5 or 6 PS1 games (nothing special, each worth about $5 or $10 each).

About a month ago, I hit a community yardsale at about 11am. I had better prospects earlier in the day, so finding all of this at 11am (most good stuff around here is usually gone by 9am, by my findings) was quite refreshing. I have my girlfriend with me, and I let her get out of the car to go check if they have any video games for sale while I keep the car running. I know she has found something if she is there longer than a minute or so, so then I park and get out of the car. We talk with the woman for a bit, and it becomes clear to me that she values all of her son's old video game stuff at nearly worthless, and basically just wants it gone. The seller offers "$15 for everything", less the n64 stuff (which had not been brought out yet). I nearly say yes, but then go further and ask if she has any older nintendo stuff as well. She says "Yes, we have a bunch of n64 stuff in my son's closet, you want some of that too?" I say yes, not trying to seem too excited but am about to jump out of my shoes. She goes inside, and brings out a shopping bag full of two n64s (one with expansion), two controllers, and about 45 games (I forgot to put about 4 in the picture. Glover, Wipeout, Hey You Pikachu, and a few junk sports games). She says take it all for $20. I don't bother negotiating, for obvious reasons. She even helps me take it to my car. For $20, I got all of this. Some of the n64 carts had permament marker on the tops, but I got that out with some 91% alcohol and graffiti remover. About 10 had some perm marker on the label, but I was able to most of that out too. To date, this has been my best video gaming find. These are the types of finds that keep me waking up at 6am every Saturday morning, even after a so-so week or two in a row. Thanks for reading; I'll keep the pics coming as I find stuff worthy of posting.

[quote name='slowdive21']It's probably the same figure as above but it is MIBaggie. I have a feeling it was somehow resealed because the bag / figure combo do not seem to add up to what I can find online.

On his leg:

© G.M.F.G.1. 1977
HONG KONG

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/buyitallcheap/star wars/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with Invicta. The GMFG on the leg stands for general mills fun group. That figure was a mail away premium, (send in 'x' proof of purchase, get a figure type of deal) the general mills figs came in bags like that. Very cool to have one still sealed in it's bag.

[quote name='Floopy']
I promised pics of a mega find.[/QUOTE]

Damn, where the fuck do you guys get these bundles? I bought 3 N64s this weekend and my games are crap compared to some of you folks. Nice going.

[quote name='JediKiller24']Yeah, I agree with Invicta. The GMFG on the leg stands for general mills fun group. That figure was a mail away premium, (send in 'x' proof of purchase, get a figure type of deal) the general mills figs came in bags like that. Very cool to have one still sealed in it's bag.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Invicta 61']That looks like one of the sendaway figures from about the time of ROTJ. At the time the mail in offer was the only way to get the Emperor. We also ordered the Luke figure you have there. I remember they came in plastic bags but I can't remember specifically what they looked like since that was about 28 years ago![/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! I didn't realize they had other mail away premiums for Luke other than the early bird set. (I remember other figures being mail aways). That makes sense because the guy told me he mailed away for it, but the dates were off in his story. If he was Jedi era, it would be 1983 instead of 1977, but that is weird they didn't change the mold to the new date.

[quote name='schultzed']Damn, where the fuck do you guys get these bundles? I bought 3 N64s this weekend and my games are crap compared to some of you folks. Nice going.[/QUOTE]

I cried a little when I saw that lot. I might not post my first set of pics, they look junkier than usual compared to what everyone else is finding. :lol:

It is done, 4 pics have been cut from my weekly finds.

[quote name='slowdive21'] If he was Jedi era, it would be 1983 instead of 1977, but that is weird they didn't change the mold to the new date.
[/QUOTE]

Being a mould designer and seeing what I have, more than likely they just altered an existing mould to save on costs. That figure would have been out of production for a few years and likely would not have been issued again. Also, keeping the 1977 date may have something to do with the copyright of the design.

Another game free week.

Left work this morning at 8am (worked the overnight) and headed 5 sales. Nothing buy junk at each one. I did notice though that there was a good yardsale later on starting at noon. So I went home to a nap for a 2 hrs and got up and headed over to that one.

I picked up a ton of books though. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Japanese history, manga, etc. Guy is moving to Tokyo beginning of August.

Books were mostly all a dollar each except for a few big hardcover collection (HP Lovecraft, etc.) which were two dollars. I also got a Bub (from Bubble Bobble peg display toy)

I spent more than I probably should have, but I think I got a lot of cool stuff.

Manga/Comic wise I got the entire Chrono Crusade, Steam Detectives, FLCL, Metropolis and some Sinfest books.

Even though the manga and comics are worth very little I will plan on bringing it with me to the Anime Con is April. I imagine I should be able to trade a full series for some different full series, or maybe a few DVDs or some other random stuff.

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, ficiton, japanese etc - some good ones were HP Lovecraft, stuff by Gene Wolfe (replacing by New Sun books that somebody lost), all the Three Kingdom Books, excerpts from Journey to the West, a book on Medieval Combat and a bunch of other stuff.

He said he might have another yardsale if stuff doesn't sell - so I may go back next week and pick up any more books that look interesting. There is probably no re-sell value to any of this stuff (for the most part) but a lot of entertainment value.

Only some friends, myself and one old Russian couple came by during the whole hour I was there after it opened. The Russians left empty handed when he wouldn't budge on some stuff they wanted. I was kind of surprised they were there anyways - asking about jewlery, old watches, etc.

Some stuff that he had that I wasn't into was a bunch of table top RPG books and LARP outfits. Not my stuff for the most part.

That was some great anime you found Dokstarr. I bought everything in the next 2 pics for $20...

The guy let me get all of the clear N64 and SNES cases for an extra $5.

The only thing I bought that I didn't take pics of is a stack of 15 xbox 360 games I purchased for $17. I sold them since my 360 red ringed and I have no plans on buying a new one. I'm happy to finally have Earthbound for cheap without having to pay astronomical prices. Oddly I was more excited for DKC Returns than Earthbound, lol. I already beat Earthbound four times though, so that's probably why.

[quote name='alexkidd4']That was some great anime you found Dokstarr. This is what I got this weekend...
[/QUOTE]

I can't make out all of the SNES titles, but nice find on the Earthbound. Paper Mario is also fairly rare in the wild as well. Nice week for you!

Here are my pitiful N64s:

Jungle Green with JG controller . . . $15

With expansion Pak . . . $5

Might've skipped buying a third. But this was a sale where I asked for games and the woman said . . . "don't have any" but the teen said "we have an N63." Plus the games were a little better:

When she bring it out, I say how about $10 but she was thinking $30 . . . so we met at $20.

Why so many N64s these days? Must be about the right time in console lifetime . . . or period since death :)

[quote name='Floopy']I can't make out all of the SNES titles, but nice find on the Earthbound. Paper Mario is also fairly rare in the wild as well. Nice week for you![/QUOTE]

Super nice week!

looks like:
Megaman Soccer
Raiden Trad
Demon's crest
Brainlord

[quote name='Floopy']I can't make out all of the SNES titles, but nice find on the Earthbound. Paper Mario is also fairly rare in the wild as well. Nice week for you![/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. Forgot I was on the camera phone. The other titles aside from Earthbound are...

Brain Lord
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
Mega Man Soccer
Demon's Crest
Raiden Trad

[quote name='schultzed']Super nice week!

looks like:
Megaman Soccer
Raiden Trad
Demon's crest
Brainlord[/QUOTE]

Wow your pretty good.

[quote name='alexkidd4']Wow your pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if only I could find that group in the wild :)

I intentionally skipped the duck game . . . that's the title I'm most likely to find :whistle2:(

This will be a short one.

$1 each

1e2993a6.jpg

$3 total. wanted to play Chaos Legion and didn't want to open my sealed copy (plus it is minty).

b740ac1b.jpg

50 cents each

12716491.jpg

Robot man VHS is sealed. I will probably list it at a ridiculous price since there aren't any others on amazon.
cd7d06d3.jpg

EDIT: Whoops missed one: 10 cents each. Bart simpson singing xmas doll.

b43fa24d.jpg

Might be a bit of an odd question....

How do you guys plan out your trips? Is there a website that gives you a map of your area that you can place pins on when you see them on craigslist, or something like that? I just have a hard time keeping myself from running around and I end up going across town and back without even noticing.

A few more things (I've missed some but whatever)

$5 for the group

This was my gaming find of the week:

Marked $5 each, I cherry picked and offered $10 for all four . . . rejected but we settled on $15.

This is my non-gaming surprise of the week: was marked $5 but I paid $3

Listed on Amazon (its sealed) for $80 . . . thinking that maybe someone will bite around the holidays . . . instead it was gone within hours. I guess this is prized for the minatures:

This is likely a fail on my part because if it sold within hours now, it would probably command much more in early Dec. Oh well.

Wow I seriously envy some of the other posters' finds! It's been over a month since I've seen any good video game stuff at yard sale! Nice finds everyone! My biggest thing recently was a Victor Talking Machine VV IX for $20, still plays records fine and looks good too.

[quote name='schultzed']Yeah, if only I could find that group in the wild :)

I intentionally skipped the duck game . . . that's the title I'm most likely to find :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

lol Cold Shadow is a fun game. Imagine Darkwing Duck's ninja alter-ego. I loved it as a kid and this is my 1st time finding it.

[quote name='schultzed']
This was my gaming find of the week:

Marked $5 each, I cherry picked and offered $10 for all four . . . rejected but we settled on $15.[/QUOTE]

Conkers goes for about $40 complete. I found my 3rd copy a couple weeks ago for $5. For those four games you lucked out at $15. You could get around $40 for the two Star Wars games I think. good find

[quote name='alexkidd4']lol Cold Shadow is a fun game. Imagine Darkwing Duck's ninja alter-ego. I loved it as a kid and this is my 1st time finding it.[/QUOTE]

In my book, intrinsic value trumps market value. One of my favorite finds last year was a wheelbarrow for $5. It is a little rusty but does the job and I was desperately seeking one and didn't want to pay $50 new.

My last complete pair of KOTORs (black label with great discs) sold for $24 (I) and $38 (II) on Amazon.

[quote name='slowdive21']Thursday's forecast 99 degrees. Thursday is when I find my best stuff. Hopefully my competition will take the day off. ;)[/QUOTE]

Do you really find a lot of stuff on Thursday? I've never even seen a sale advertised on a Thursday.

Unfortunately, Slow the heat might keep away the sellers.

[quote name='slowdive21']Thursday's forecast 99 degrees. Thursday is when I find my best stuff. Hopefully my competition will take the day off. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he has a large suburban range.

I'm doing OK on Thurs. but I'm likely to only find about 10 sales . . . Fri is probably my best day when I hit more like 30 sales . . . Sat. will often turn up something like 15-20 fresh sales.

[quote name='alexkidd4']Do you really find a lot of stuff on Thursday? I've never even seen a sale advertised on a Thursday.[/QUOTE]

It varies by region, but in my neighborhood Thursday has been the standard for at least 25 years. It works out for me because there are less people hitting them (probably at work) so it allows me to get form sale to sale with a better chance of finding something.

[quote name='schultzed']Unfortunately, Slow the heat might keep away the sellers.

I'm guessing he has a large suburban range.

I'm doing OK on Thurs. but I'm likely to only find about 10 sales . . . Fri is probably my best day when I hit more like 30 sales . . . Sat. will often turn up something like 15-20 fresh sales.[/QUOTE]

Thursday I pretty much only hit my hometown (which is pretty large) unless there is something I want at a nearby area. Friday typically has less new sales, so sometimes I venture to the next town. There is a nearby town where basically 90% of the sales start Saturday, but I am usually done for the weekend on Friday. :cool:

Thursday, I think I average 16-25 (I hit most or all of them), Friday there are usually 7-12 new ones and Saturday/Sunday there are usually 1 or 2 new sales. I am usually done for the day by noon. If I had a scanner it would be more like 2PM probably, because I see a lot of CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back