Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great finds slowdive.

[quote name='slowdive21']I ended up looking at the Xbox, but there was no A/V cable. We powered it on and it was flashing green then orange with a game in the system. Neither one of us knew if that meant it was working, so I left it.[/QUOTE]

It flashes when there's no A/V cable plugged in or if it's too loosely connected.

Chances are, there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Thanks everyone! :)

[quote name='blindinglights']Great finds slowdive.

It flashes when there's no A/V cable plugged in or if it's too loosely connected.

Chances are, there wasn't anything wrong with it.[/QUOTE]

Doh! Now I know for next time. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='Dark Rider']Great finds slowdive. How many sales would you say you go to in a weekend? Is it mostly advertised, of driving until you find signs?[/QUOTE]

I would say anywhere from 15-40 on average. In my last (Saturday only) post, I actually only went to 5 or 6 sales total. Today was a light day in terms of advertised sales, but I would say I hit between 7-10 sales.

Here is my basic procedure: Wednesday night I look at craigslist to see if there are any promising sales. I also check one of the local paper's online classifieds to see if there are any decent ones on their site. If something catches my eye, I try to get there at least 15 minutes before the sale is scheduled to start. I then hit the surrounding advertised sales and follow signs on the way.

I try to get to as many sales as possible in a short amount of time. Usually I am done for the day by noon. I tend to stick to my town only, but sometimes I venture out if I am bored or I am not happy with my finds.

The best advice I can give is know where you are going (in your immediate area). If you have a newspaper with sale ads listed, then divide up your city by areas that are easy for you to remember. You can hit one area at a time and follow signs for that specific area. Once you finish with the first area move onto the next.

If I drive to another town, I map one or two sales and I just follow the signs after that, since I don't really know where I am going.

Today I started the next town over since I had good luck on Saturday. There were two sales that advertised games, so I mapped them. The rest of the time I followed signs by staying on one of the main roads.

Good finds, slowdive! I'm having trouble finding NES games that I don't already have these days. I just peeked at my NES dupes the other day... over 150.

[quote name='allyourblood']Good finds, slowdive! I'm having trouble finding NES games that I don't already have these days. I just peeked at my NES dupes the other day... over 150.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel, I have begun sorting my games and I defiantly have too many dupes.

I have finally decided to take on the task of organizing my NES stuff. I am taking today off (from saling) to test some systems.

There seems to be a lot of ideas about NES console cleaning. I did take one apart today, which wasn't difficult, but I am not sure if I should go with an eraser to clean the boards contacts or "brasso".

I can tell everyone repairing a pin connecter is a PITA. I destroyed one of my connectors already and I have a somewhat steady hand.

Anyone know where I can buy new replacement pins in bulk? (About 10-20 of them).

Is there a website that is the authority on video game repair? It seems like there are a lot of theories and youtube videos, but I was looking for a site that actually tested the different methods.

Does CAG have a repair or maintenance forum? (if It doesn't I expect 10% of ad revenue cheapyD!)

Any tips would be appreciated.

[quote name='slowdive21']I know how you feel, I have begun sorting my games and I defiantly have too many dupes.

I have finally decided to take on the task of organizing my NES stuff. I am taking today off (from saling) to test some systems.

There seems to be a lot of ideas about NES console cleaning. I did take one apart today, which wasn't difficult, but I am not sure if I should go with an eraser to clean the boards contacts or "brasso".

I can tell everyone repairing a pin connecter is a PITA. I destroyed one of my connectors already and I have a somewhat steady hand.

Anyone know where I can buy new replacement pins in bulk? (About 10-20 of them).

Is there a website that is the authority on video game repair? It seems like there are a lot of theories and youtube videos, but I was looking for a site that actually tested the different methods.

Does CAG have a repair or maintenance forum? (if It doesn't I expect 10% of ad revenue cheapyD!)

Any tips would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea about brasso, but the pink eraser is a must. I use them on all of my SNES and Neo Geo carts and have never had a problem. You may also want to mix up a 50/50 concoction of distilled water and alcohol (not the cheap kind) and use a few Q-Tips to clear the rest of the muck. As for the pins, screw it and get a top loader with a modded AV port. I bet you could sell your dupes and almost break even on that investment. Or you can buy the PITA pins from ebay for 6 bucks a pop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-NEW-NINTENDO...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b38245f

[quote name='Ash Burton']I have no idea about brasso, but the pink eraser is a must. I use them on all of my SNES and Neo Geo carts and have never had a problem. You may also want to mix up a 50/50 concoction of distilled water and alcohol (not the cheap kind) and use a few Q-Tips to clear the rest of the muck. As for the pins, screw it and get a top loader with a modded AV port. I bet you could sell your dupes and almost break even on that investment. Or you can buy the PITA pins from ebay for 6 bucks a pop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-NEW-NINTENDO...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b38245f[/QUOTE]

I use brasso and a qtip for the cartridges and brasso and an official console cleaner for the consoles. I've never had any problems.

Got to two today. Was planning to hit a couple more but when my sister and I got to the first one there was a pretty bad car wreck. A Cavalier hit the tail end of a rural Ford Bronco mail truck (that was crossing over lanes) and it was pretty ugly. The Bronco ended up with a mangled rear bumper and the Cavalier ended up totaled, hood crumpled up like a catfood can, no front bumper and the windshield managed to get busted up by the passenger air bag. Luckily, both people were fine. Just posting this as a reminder to drive carefully.

Anyway, when things settled down I stopped up. Tons and tons of PS2 games (and two GC) but no systems. Almost all the titles were sports and wrestling, but reasonably priced at $2 or $3 and well taken care of. (Almost everyone around here wants $5 for a PS2 game.)

Ended up grabbing Need for Speed: Underground (PS2) for my dad as it was $2 and I know he lost interest in Gran Turismo 4 a while ago and I remember hearing it was one of the better racers for the system.

Second yard sale was a bust. I found a Bill Cosby book for 50 cents, that was it.

[quote name='slowdive21']Any tips would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have a rant about my crappy weekend but that has to wait (stressed right now because I was without power for 16 hours).

I was able to buy something like 10 replacement connectors for about $5-6 each (shipped) on ebay a few years ago--so the auction posted is pretty good. But they take a good 1/2 hour to replace (maybe it'll go quicker if you do more of them). This is a cool way to go because you can sell at a premium because of the replacement. Although you will still get buyers who freak out when a dirty game causes the system to blink. I've sometimes shipped with a little baggy of Q-tips and a note about cleaning.

I met a big gaming reseller who explained his procedure. Take a random old NES cart and soak the connector with alcohol and insert it a few times. Wipe off and repeat several times. This guy swore that any NES will come up to working state if you do this.

About selling:

I found I could get an NES, power, cable, 2 controllers, 3 games and the gun to fit inside a Priority Flat Rate box (the suitcase shape).

The light gun doesn't work with HDTVs . . . so watch out for buyers who complain about this.

[quote name='sp00ge']I use brasso and a qtip for the cartridges and brasso and an official console cleaner for the consoles. I've never had any problems.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try this.

[quote name='schultzed']
I met a big gaming reseller who explained his procedure. Take a random old NES cart and soak the connector with alcohol and insert it a few times. Wipe off and repeat several times. This guy swore that any NES will come up to working state if you do this.
[/QUOTE]

This is basically the same as having a cleaning device and their "specially formulated liquid" It definately helps, but I am looking for a more permanent solution.

I read/saw that you can snip one of the pins on the security chip and that is supposed to improve performance exponentially (primarily the blinkies), but I am not sure if that is taboo in the gaming community. Any thoughts?

I have 12 or so toaster NESes I wanted to sell, so I was probably going to open all of them up, give them a proper cleaning, and rearrange the cases so some are perfect shape and some are very good, but working condition.

I planned on having at least one completely trashed unit for parts.

I already called Nintendo since they used to give out pin replacements free (wish I had heard about that) hoping that I could at least buy some replacements, but they do not have them anymore.

[quote name='slowdive21']This is basically the same as having a cleaning device and their "specially formulated liquid" It definately helps, but I am looking for a more permanent solution.

I read/saw that you can snip one of the pins on the security chip and that is supposed to improve performance exponentially (primarily the blinkies), but I am not sure if that is taboo in the gaming community. Any thoughts?

I have 12 or so toaster NESes I wanted to sell, so I was probably going to open all of them up, give them a proper cleaning, and rearrange the cases so some are perfect shape and some are very good, but working condition.

I planned on having at least one completely trashed unit for parts.

I already called Nintendo since they used to give out pin replacements free (wish I had heard about that) hoping that I could at least buy some replacements, but they do not have them anymore.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked you could still get pin connectors on ebay, but it might not be very profitable to buy the pin connector, replace it and then sell the system anymore, it was several years ago though. If you want to get rid of a stack of NES's I would just sell them in a wholesale lot on ebay as for parts, you are bound to make some money that way.

The alcohol trick has failed me many times with NES carts, sometimes there is just too much crud on them for that to work, the alcohol only removes so much. What works for me is taking the cart apart and cleaning the pins until it is shiny with one of those pink pencil erasers. You should be able to get the tools needed to open NES carts and other carts very cheap. Also get a battery powered or some type of electric screwdriver, probably will cost you less than $10, I got one years ago and its the best tool I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']This is basically the same as having a cleaning device and their "specially formulated liquid" It definately helps, but I am looking for a more permanent solution.

I read/saw that you can snip one of the pins on the security chip and that is supposed to improve performance exponentially (primarily the blinkies), but I am not sure if that is taboo in the gaming community. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The security chip is actually the main problem, most of the time. People often "recondition" their pins and clean the heck out of everything, and still end up wrestling with blinking and blank screens. This is almost always the security chip.

I don't recall hearing of too many downsides to performing this particular "fix". I've done this on one of my NES systems, and haven't noticed any adverse effects in years of playing games.

[quote name='SaraAB'], but it might not be very profitable to buy the pin connector, replace it and then sell the system anymore[/QUOTE]

A working NES with power and controllers will fetch $40-45 on Amazon right now. I think it will be more like $50 closer to the holiday season.

I'm dying to try the disable of the security chip.

[quote name='schultzed']A working NES with power and controllers will fetch $40-45 on Amazon right now. I think it will be more like $50 closer to the holiday season.

I'm dying to try the disable of the security chip.[/QUOTE]

Here is my security chip update:

You basically have to take the system apart to get to it.

Every screw except for 2 on the game holder are exactly the same for the entire console.

You basically want to remove every vertical facing screw you see. (6 on the bottom of the unit)

I would clean everything that needs sprucing up.

I would just pop off the 72 pin and not even touch it if it looks uniform.

You can clean the contacts for the 72 pin connector (on the motherboard) with alcohol or eraser, then alcohol.

-------------

As far as the chip goes. It is really easy. You need a very, very small screwdriver or safety pin to get it separated.

You only have to do a partial assemble to test the unit.

----

I planned on cleaning/swapping cases anyway, so I think I am going to do the security chip thing on all of my "iffy" systems.

I still have a boxed one that works well and 2 top loaders, so I don't mind experimenting on the others!

[/QUOTE]

I replaced the 72 pin connector and disabled the security chip on my console a few years back. It still fires up first time I turn it on.

You definitley want to clean the carts also, but the rubbing alcohol is not enough. I take them apart and clean the connectors with Copper Cream polish. Some of the carts I've taken apart have a large amount 20 year old dried soda inside, and if there is any corrosion on the pins the polish will remove it.

One thing that does happen is the new pin connectors are a little bit of a tight fit. There are times I just slide the cart in and turn the console on without pushing it down.

I've got about 5 NES with blinking lights. Fixing them is definitely on the to-do list. Some day.

Fourth of July weekend...not too many sales for tomorrow. Oh well, gotta stay optimistic, there are only so many yard sale weekends each year.

Not much new activity around these parts; just two sales that advertised Playstation games and had little in the way of selection. The first one was funny though, I saw the lady who wrangled the Zelda box from me before. The thing is she didn't seem to be having a lot of luck because the sellers were firing back and forth "Well, if we don't get this much, there's always Gamestop and Ebay."

I think they wanted $15 for a Twilight Princess Wii w/ guide...I also noticed a Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, just the usual suspects that should've been sold last year when those prices might've been decent. Kept my money in my pocket and tomorrow is another day, as they say in Storage Wars.

[quote name='schultzed']A working NES with power and controllers will fetch $40-45 on Amazon right now. I think it will be more like $50 closer to the holiday season.

I'm dying to try the disable of the security chip.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how you bundled these with the three games to get such a good rate; in the past year or two I've probably dumped three or four toasters on the blink just because I'd have to struggle to get $20 for a system locally.

I had a decent day yesterday.

Super Nintendo (console only)
Frogger
Battle Clash
Brutal: Paws of Fury

Total: $5

Story
It was a sale advertising a Super Nintendo with games about 30 miles away, so I woke up early and made the drive. Turns out it was litterally that, just the console and three games. No cables or controllers to be found. The lady said she might still have them, but was still pulling everything out. If I lived closer, I would have gone back later, but that's a little far to go twice in one day.

I also found a copy of Ender's Game for a quarter which is nice because I've been wanting to read it.

At another sale I found a Nintendo brand set of A/V cables for the SNES/N64/Gamecube for 50 cents. Not very exciting, but those are always handy to keep around.

The highlight of the morning was finding a copy of Contra III: The Alien Wars for SNES. It was marked $3 and she took $2.

I overpaid. I can't believe I paid this much but I did. I'll still make money, but still....

GBA SP w/ Mario Advance 2, Pokemon Gold, and Elmo in Grouchland; Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, Sonic Unleashed, Zumba Fitness Wii. $50 for all. I could have offered $30, probably gotten for $40, but I offered $50 when he asked for $55.

Cabella's Dangerous Hunts 2010 with gun Wii - $3

Call of Duty 2 Xbox 360 - $2

GBA SP with Dragonball - $8

Plus guy where I bought CoD2 had GTA4 Complete, Midnight Clud LA, NFS Not Pursuit $40 each.GTA is $30 new, Midnight Club is $20 new, NFS is $40 new. I didn't even try.

Dscn6616.jpg

:wii: Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles $2
:wii: Call of Duty: World at War $2

Dscn6617.jpg

:ps2: Eye Toy Anti Grav, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, Jak and Daxter (all have no manual)
:360: Hail to the Chimp (complete)
$1 total. Not great games but very cheap. Probably the only time I'll ever get a 360 game for a quarter.
Dscn6618.jpg

:360: Guitar Hero 5 Bundle - $10
Sealed and brand new. I usually don't buy Guitar Hero stuff (it's everywhere) but after saying no to the $25 IAP they practically begged me to take it for $10. Probably gonna flip it though.

Wii System - 30
SNES With 6 Games & (Not Pictured) 2 1st Party Controllers, Hookups. GBP & Ecco The Dolphin Handheld - 20
Microvision With Vegas Slots - 1
3 NES Games - 1 Each
3 PS1,2 Games On The Left In The Picture (No Manual With Shadow Hearts) - 7
3 Genesis Games, RF Adaptor & N64 Memory Pak - 1
PS2 Network Adaptor - 2
2 GBA Games - .50 Each
Mario Strikers Charged (No Manual, From The Week Before) - 5
Saints Row (360) - 3
Tetris Worlds - Free
Twisted Metal Black Online (Insert = Copy But I'm Guessing It Never Had One) - 1
NES With (Not Pictured) Hookups & 1st Party Controller, NDS Pen, Family Guy: Freakin Sweet (UMD Only) & (Not Pictured) PSP Cord To Hook Up To TV - 3

If nothing mentioned for disk based games they are complete. Tried to offered 20 for the Wii, they wouldn't budge but figured I'd hate myself if I passed on it. Wanted 25 for the SNES bundle and 10 for the Ecco & GBP. I said I was thinking more like 10 for the SNES bundle and they ended up offering it all for 20. I already cleaned the NES & SNES systems but even before cleaning the SNES it was in really nice shape easily the best looking SNES this year. The 3 NES games were half off at the Salvation Army while I was out YSing. The 3 pack of Shadow Hearts+ was asking 3 each I offered 5 total and we meet in the middle. This was the same (unadvertised) sale I got Conker for the Xbox & Mario Party 3 from last year, another guy had Digital Devil Saga 2 that he picked out who was looking at the PS1,2 games just before me. Offered a buck for the Genesis games & misc from a box of random stuff. Offered 2 for the PS2 network adaptor. I helped carry a big TV to the back of somebody's van at one sale and when I offered a buck for Tetris Worlds they said I could have it for helping out. The NES, Family Guy & PSP cord were all marked a buck so it was like I got the NDS pen added in that didn't have a price (not that it's a BFD). A few other things I didn't mention were all asking price.

Red Dead Revolver & Resident Evil CODE: Veronica - Buck Each
Resident Evil - 1
Metal Gear Solid & No One Can Stop Mr. Domino - 3
Sega Genesis AC Adaptor - .25
The Rest of The Genesis Stuff - 1
Mario Kart 64 (Rough Looking) - .50
The Worst Looking SNES In The World With 2 Controllers - .50

All disk games (and The Lion King) complete. I was actually given Resident Evil 4 when I pointed out that it was a 2 disk game and that disk 2 was missing. The 2 PS1 games were 2 each, I tried to offer a buck each and we ended up meeting in the middle. No price, offered a quarter for the AC adaptor. Genesis stuff was at a sale that was 1 .50 for anything not marked so it was like I saved .50. Asked about games at one sale and the lady brought out that SNES from her garage and as I looked at it she said I could have (more like rescure it) for .50 but I think it's already dead lol That picture really doesn't fully show how bad it is and befittingly enough the Mario Kart 64 in not as bad of shape was from the house next door. Anything else not mentioned was asking price.

[quote name='FOnewearl']

Asked about games at one sale and the lady brought out that SNES from her garage and as I looked at it she said I could have (more like rescure it) for .50 but I think it's already dead lol That picture really doesn't fully show how bad it is and befittingly enough the Mario Kart 64 in not as bad of shape was from the house next door. [/QUOTE]

Just looking at that SNES makes me want to take a shower. :whistle2:&

Nice finds overall though.

[quote name='FOnewearl']

Wii System - 30
SNES With 6 Games & (Not Pictured) 2 1st Party Controllers, Hookups. GBP & Ecco The Dolphin Handheld - 20
Microvision With Vegas Slots - 1
3 NES Games - 1 Each
3 PS1,2 Games On The Left In The Picture (No Manual With Shadow Hearts) - 7
3 Genesis Games, RF Adaptor & N64 Memory Pak - 1
PS2 Network Adaptor - 2
2 GBA Games - .50 Each
Mario Strikers Charged (No Manual, From The Week Before) - 5
Saints Row (360) - 3
Tetris Worlds - Free
Twisted Metal Black Online (Insert = Copy But I'm Guessing It Never Had One) - 1
NES With (Not Pictured) Hookups & 1st Party Controller, NDS Pen, Family Guy: Freakin Sweet (UMD Only) & (Not Pictured) PSP Cord To Hook Up To TV - 3

Red Dead Revolver & Resident Evil CODE: Veronica - Buck Each
Resident Evil - 1
Metal Gear Solid & No One Can Stop Mr. Domino - 3
Sega Genesis AC Adaptor - .25
The Rest of The Genesis Stuff - 1
Mario Kart 64 (Rough Looking) - .50

[/QUOTE]

Nice ones!

I have a suggestion. If you don't mind experimenting on that SNES...You could put the case in some watered down hydrogen peroxide and leave it in the sun for a few days. It should bleach the yellow plastic into a lighter shade.

I haven't tried it myself, but it should work in theory. ;)

It may remove the letters (Power, Reset, etc) though. :whistle2:k

You probably need a special tool to get it open too.

Had a rough weekend. Went to 14 sales and found 2 DS games for $3. Cartoon Network Racing and a four pack of board games featuring Clue and some other random ones.

Today's finds:

M9lEXl.jpg

NES:
Volleyball

Sega Mega Drive:
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Complete)
Ecco: The Tides of Time (No manual)
Forgotten Worlds (No manual)
Jurassic Park Rampage Edition (Complete)
Separation Anxiety (Complete)
Strider (No manual)

...and a Mega Drive controller. No console in sight, though.

[quote name='jaydepps']Had a rough weekend. [/QUOTE]

Mine was bad enough that I'm not going to do pics.

I did get a PS2 (Fat) with 3 controllers and hookups for $10.

Random unexciting games like: Luigi's Mansion (disc only) and Granstream Saga (disc only) for .25 each--at different sales. A few so-so PS2 games like Dynasty Warriors 3 (complete) for $1.

I didn't do very well on flip material (books, DVDs, CDs) either. I went out Thur-Sat and hit something like 40-50 sales but this was probably the worst I've done since early May.

I did see a PSP at a sale (this is the 3rd time I've seen one at a sale) was marked $60 with 3 games. Seller wouldn't go down in price.

I would've jumped on it if the games had they been good (GOW, Daxter, anything) but it had 3 sports games . . .

[quote name='slowdive21']I have a suggestion. If you don't mind experimenting on that SNES...You could put the case in some watered down hydrogen peroxide and leave it in the sun for a few days. It should bleach the yellow plastic into a lighter shade.

You probably need a special tool to get it open too.[/QUOTE]

This would be the system to try it on and I surely wouldn't be against doing so.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

You need a GameBit to open a SNES and I do have both sizes ;)

[quote name='FOnewearl']This would be the system to try it on and I surely wouldn't be against doing so.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

You need a GameBit to open a SNES and I do have both sizes ;)[/QUOTE]

Whenever I think I have a good idea, I find out someone else had it years ago! #-o

I was all excited too, I even called my dad who works in polymers to run it by him.

Let me know if it works!

Had some pretty solid finds the past couple of weeks. A few of the highlights were:

YardSalesPics040.jpg

Total paid: $11. This was an advertised sale that did not specifically advertise video games, and was a few minutes away from the main drag. Got there a little past 7am, looked around a bit, and asked the seller (late 40s man) if he had any video games for sale. He goes inside and comes out a few minutes later with FF 7 and 8 and a few junk PS2 games. I decide on FF 7 and 8 and the seller asks for $10 each. I counter with $5 each and he accepts. A minute later his daughter offers Lunar to me for $2. I look inside, and notice that it is missing the Music CD along with the map and maybe some other things (it did have both game discs, the making of disc, and the original jewel case). Pointed out its incompleteness and got it for $1. Pretty good.

YardSalesPics033.jpg

Total paid: $20. Hit the motherload on unopened Pokemon cards. Was driving towards a sale for some video game stuff (which ended up being overpriced crap) but hit this sale on the way, and I'm sure glad I did. In a little shoebox, I found 48 unopened packs of Pokemon cards from Base set/Jungle/Fossil. 22 Base, 8 Jungle, 18 Fossil was the breakdown (none were first edition, oh well). Also about 20 unopened packs of Topps Pokemon. Seller (early 60s man) asked $25 for the box, I offered $15. Seller was hesitant at $15, so we settled at $20. Fine by me; seller said he would have given the packs to his little nephew if they didn't sell. Rough value of everything: $400 to $500. Now we're cooking.

YardSalesPics038.jpg

Total paid: $10. Really wish I could have been at this sale before my arrival time of 1pm! Was just a random unadvertised sale I found driving around randomly (which usually becomes my strategy later in the day). Seller (late 50s man) said he must have sold at least 50 games already that day, and I'm sure there were some great ones in there. Anyways, these were the scraps, which really are not all that bad for "scraps," at least. Also included was Super Mario World SNES (not pictured). Filled up a box with everything, seller wanted $1 each. Offered $10, it was accepted. Maybe should have offered a little less, since it was end of the day. Pretty nice way to end a yard sale day, since I usually find next to nothing past noon or so.

Also had a mega mega find (N64 and PS2 stuff) two weeks ago that I have yet to post. Was one for the ages. Will get some pics up soon.

[quote name='Floopy']
Had some pretty solid finds the past couple of weeks. A few of the highlights were:

Total paid: $11. This was an advertised sale that did not specifically advertise video games, and was a few minutes away from the main drag. Got there a little past 7am, looked around a bit, and asked the seller (late 40s man) if he had any video games for sale. He goes inside and comes out a few minutes later with FF 7 and 8 and a few junk PS2 games. I decide on FF 7 and 8 and the seller asks for $10 each. I counter with $5 each and he accepts. A minute later his daughter offers Lunar to me for $2. I look inside, and notice that it is missing the Music CD along with the map and maybe some other things (it did have both game discs, the making of disc, and the original jewel case). Pointed out its incompleteness and got it for $1. Pretty good.

Total paid: $20. Hit the motherload on unopened Pokemon cards. Was driving towards a sale for some video game stuff (which ended up being overpriced crap) but hit this sale on the way, and I'm sure glad I did. In a little shoebox, I found 48 unopened packs of Pokemon cards from Base set/Jungle/Fossil. 22 Base, 8 Jungle, 18 Fossil was the breakdown (none were first edition, oh well). Also about 20 unopened packs of Topps Pokemon. Seller (early 60s man) asked $25 for the box, I offered $15. Seller was hesitant at $15, so we settled at $20. Fine by me; seller said he would have given the packs to his little nephew if they didn't sell. Rough value of everything: $400 to $500. Now we're cooking.

Total paid: $10. Really wish I could have been at this sale before my arrival time of 1pm! Was just a random unadvertised sale I found driving around randomly (which usually becomes my strategy later in the day). Seller (late 50s man) said he must have sold at least 50 games already that day, and I'm sure there were some great ones in there. Anyways, these were the scraps, which really are not all that bad for "scraps," at least. Also included was Super Mario World SNES (not pictured). Filled up a box with everything, seller wanted $1 each. Offered $10, it was accepted. Maybe should have offered a little less, since it was end of the day. Pretty nice way to end a yard sale day, since I usually find next to nothing past noon or so.

Also had a mega mega find (N64 and PS2 stuff) two weeks ago that I have yet to post. Was one for the ages. Will get some pics up soon.
[/QUOTE]

Really nice stuff!

Picked up the following:
Starfox CIB, N64 controller, and Megaman network (not in picture - disc only) - $8
Vintage books - .25 cents each
Mini bus - .50 cent
Netgear skype phone - $15
Vintage board games - $1 each

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

I only went out in force Thursday this weekend since there was a lack of sales. I ran into my Nemesis 3 times, but I was a step ahead of him at all 3 locations. :cool:

This was the only sale I hit on Saturday (I actually bought some stuff there Thursday, but the items will be in post 3).

It was a church sale and Saturday was $3 a bag day. The reason I went back was for an original Gameboy that was in a pink and black Nintendo branded fanny pack. It was marked $10 when I saw it on Thursday and unfortunately it sold Friday (before the bag sale).

Story:
When I was waiting for the doors to open I noticed a couple of familiar faces. There was a lady and her son in front of me in line that I had bought some games from in the past. I bought FFVII and a whole stack of PS1 games from them for .25 each. I also bought a clear green n64 from them for $5 (all were posted here a year or two ago).

When I am at their sales they always have big bins of stuff and it is never priced. I always ask how much and they always ask me what do I want to pay. Now I understand why...

When we got inside I could tell this is how they get their stuff. The mom went straight for the jewelry and dumped all of it in her bag. Meanwhile the son was grabbing bath and bodyworks type of stuff that was still sealed. It was obvious they have a routine because he went for the electronics next. Luckily I beat him there (since I skipped the bag line) and was able to grab 1 of the things I was looking for.

This is my $3 bag and its contents.

Being a cashier in high school finally payed off...

f881ab0c.jpg

All still sealed. The happy meal toys are pretty old. I think the micro machines one is from 1996. Also got hot wheels, Winnie the pooh, and a loony tunes one from wendy's. I am a Sox fan so the post its are nice to have. The dish is vintage fireking.

8ba47e5a.jpg

7e570f00.jpg

A lot of kids DVDs/VHS (that are hopefully worth something)

9e69e490.jpg

2ad7789f.jpg

c35bfc62.jpg

1035748e.jpg

My only video game find. They originally had 2 of these, but someone must have bought it for $20. It is sealed and it is the Batman/Pure 2pack. The comedy DVD is sealed, and the other one has Sheen and Morgan Freeman in it, so I had to buy it. Hopefully the baby Einstein CD set is worth some cash!

72d769e4.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']
72d769e4.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Brian Regan's amazing, I wish I could find that.

I only found about 5 sales this weekend, I was expecting more for Canada Day. All I got was White Christmas on VHS for 50 cents.

[quote name='slowdive21']Whenever I think I have a good idea, I find out someone else had it years ago! #-o

I was all excited too, I even called my dad who works in polymers to run it by him.

Let me know if it works![/QUOTE]

Will do, I'm not sure exactly when I'll get to doing anything of the likes of what you suggested (could end up being a slow day when I have nothing to do). Your idea sounded easier then what they were mixing up and doing :D I actually forgot about Retr0bright which I think I heard about here on CAG when somebody pointed it out here on the YS thread. I was googling something about what you mentioned and tripped over Retr0bright.

I already took apart and cleaned the 1st party controller that came with the system, rather dirty but worked great after I was done and put it together. I was surprised that the PCB inside of the controller was clean and wasen't much of a problem to clean up.

I've seen worse controllers, the one system I got about a month or so ago that was dirty and ended up being broken had the dirtiest SNES controller I've ever seen mainly for the D-pad, it was so dirty when I took it out of the taken apart controller that I actually (and this is the only time I've ever done this) took a tooth pick and was scraping off dirt it was so thick on the D-pad!

I'll probably at least be cleaning the system tomarrow.

Edit - also lol at your story with the familiar faces, reminds of the flea market I go to as a few of the sellers I've bought video games from I've seen buying at yardsales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only went out in force Thursday this weekend since there was a lack of sales. I ran into my Nemesis 3 times, but I was a step ahead of him at all 3 locations.
icon_cool.gif

This post will be short and sweet.

$4 total PS2 games in nice shape (I know they are not worth anything), memory card, Apprentice season 1 (I was hoping this was worth something. I hate Trump.)

bda636c6.jpg

Wii Games $1 each. The Furu Furu one seems fun. I don't have a wii yet though. ;)

cbcf67cf.jpg

Lego lot. Supposedly these were 100% complete. I went through the Mars tank one and there are a few pieces missing (but they may be with the Mars Base). Bionicle minis look complete, but I have not checked them in detail.

Paid $15 total for everything. I am not a lego collector, but I think I got a good deal.

Bionicle minis

7cfd4b02.jpg

39c3dc9a.jpg

Mars Mission

3cf1ea84.jpg

22ab5576.jpg

Are Pokemon cards worth anything or is it just the sealed packs? I have a ton from when I was a kid and played the card game.

[quote name='Scorch']Are Pokemon cards worth anything or is it just the sealed packs? I have a ton from when I was a kid and played the card game.[/QUOTE]

Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.

Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.Not anywhere near as much as they're used to be. Even cards like Charizard are like $10 on a good day now.

Fossil packs are worth about $5 each, Jungle about $7, and Base $10. But they are also worth a little more than those prices if they have the cardboard backing as well (as most of my find had).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back