Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Potatoeman']
Also - I know Slowdive has some exp with cleaning stuff... have you had to clean an N64 before? I dont want to end up messing the games up by using the wrong alcohol or something:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Whatever isopropyl alcohol you have lying around will be fine. I used a bottle of 70% for years until I emptied it, and picked up a bottle of 91% to replace it. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference. Use a cotton swab and rub it on the contacts of a cartridge. Use the other end and switch to a new swab as necessary until it comes clean.

If you don't have a system cleaning cartridge, you can use the same cart to clean your console as well. I use a crappy game so I don't wear out the contacts on a good one; just keep inserting it in the system and wiping it clean with a cotton swab and alcohol until it comes clean. That's about it.

Don't think I'm gonna go out tomorrow. Going to yard sales is one of the most fun parts of the week for me but holy crap, it is too damn hot. Please tell me I'm not the only one. :hot:

My, oh my, what an experience today was. I'll start it off by simply posting my finds, but I won't post pictures because there isn't much at all.

:360: Brutal Legend (complete) - $3
:360: Red Dead Redemption (disc only, but in good condition) - $2

I was very happy to find current gen games, but sadly these were the only ones worth getting.

Warning; the following story is extremely long. I apologize. >_>

Now onto the story; we pull up to the sale and at first glance, it looked like piles upon piles of junk. I don't ever judge sales by the way they look unless you can obviously see that it's 100% baby clothes. Anyway, we walk into the yard and I immediately notice all sorts of electronics, DVDs, games, collectible type things. I start getting excited at this point. I notice an original Gameboy, a SEGA Genesis, a Cyclops action figure, and several Xbox 360 games. The thing is; they were all in pretty horrid condition. On top of the condition, the prices were not good nor were they worth haggling over. The seller even told me they knew all the prices because they looked them up on eBay.

Fast forward a bit and I've pretty much scoured every table. I see a complete Rock Band 2 bundle, with game and all the instruments, as well as a complete Guitar Hero 5 bundle. I ask what the prices on those were and I wasn't happy to hear $10 below MSRP. I notice one of the ladies (it was a multi-family sale) was sitting on the ground with a bunch of discs and various cases for mostly Xbox 360 games. I see Rock Band 3 and some other fairly new releases. I ask about the price and she lets me know that none of those have the actual games as her son likes to take the discs out. I did notice the Red Dead Redemption disc in a sleeve and asked about the price on that one. She said $5, I countered with $2, and it was accepted. I already have RDR and my nephew doesn't necessarily care about cases or anything, so I gave it to him.

I see one other game that struck my interest and it was Brutal Legend. I asked about the price and again, she said $5 and I countered with $3 since this one was complete and it shockingly good condition, and it was accepted. I was very surprised to see that the discs I bought, as well as the case for Brutal Legend were in good condition, considering how filthy everything else was.

Then I see a 360 HDD, but it's one of those that doesn't say how many GB it actually is. I ask if she knows and she has no idea. She tries to look for a while, before saying that it's $60. I said I didn't really want to buy it without knowing how much space it could hold. This is where it gets interesting.

She then invites me into her home. O_O

I hesitantly agreed and we walked over there. This lady was weird, but don't get me wrong, she was nice. She had the herp derpiest eyes I've ever seen. We walk into her house and I'm greeted by her dad who recently had a stroke (the sale profits went to his recovery). We walk over to the computer and I get to witness her turtle typing. It literally took her 3 minutes to type the word 'Xbox'. Eventually, she asks if I type faster and lets me look up the serial number. I found out it was the 20GB model, which I did not want. After 10 minutes of looking it up, I then get to hear the story of how they used to live in Las Vegas and how her cat would leave at night and come back with stolen clothes. O_O

This lady would not stop talking. Such a bizarre experience.

[quote name='Potatoeman']I havent looked at prices lately, but Intelligent Qube is worth quite a bit of money to some buyers. Nice find!

Also - I know Slowdive has some exp with cleaning stuff... have you had to clean an N64 before? I dont want to end up messing the games up by using the wrong alcohol or something:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with allyourblood, but I would always opt for the higher level alcohol %.

For the outside of the console I use hot water, dawn, and a soft rag. You have to make sure to ring out the rag really well (so you don't get any drips). The goal is for it to just be damp, rather than wet.

I find that alcohol makes the plastic on n64 and sega systems "cloudy" if you use it on the outside of the console/controllers, so I try to stay away from using it.

I really think CAG should have a cleaning thread, but I am too lazy to commit to making one! ;)

Update: I hit a couple more sales and didn't find anything. I also followed 3 signs to "phantom sales". :wall:

I did drop by at a sale where a guy told me he had "big bins of Nintendo, n64, and atari games" (in storage) yesterday, but he wasn't there today. His friend called him and told me they would have the games put aside for me tomorrow. Hopefully that will pan out, but I have a feeling he will want more for them then I am willing to pay. I did offer to fix the other guy's NES, so hopefully we will be able to work out a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='N3UROP0D']Don't think I'm gonna go out tomorrow. Going to yard sales is one of the most fun parts of the week for me but holy crap, it is too damn hot. Please tell me I'm not the only one. :hot:[/QUOTE]

You are definitely not the only one. Try to go a little earlier, that does help. If you go in the dead of the afternoon it will not be so pleasant. Its insanely hot here in NY though its supposed to drop to the 80's by Sunday. There aren't even that many sales tomorrow here, I doubt many people want to sit out in this heat and humidity selling stuff.

I wouldn't use alcohol to clean a system, any cleaner like windex or orange clean should be fine and both are available at the dollar store. Alcohol will damage the system and leave spots on it and make it white or cloudy depending on the color of the system. Its ok if you get some on a cartridge but don't do a full cleaning with it. I use orange clean mostly for the outside of the console, for some of the stuff I bring home a wet rag just won't do it. Stupid tip but also make sure the rag is clean when you start, wiping something with a soiled rag won't get you anywhere as I found out last week (I tend to re-use rags).

Thanks guys

Also, the only reason I only went to 4 sales... the damn heat. I dont have air conditioning, and humidity is high in the mornings here. It's awful

Damn, on the way out to dinner (around 5) I managed to stop at a sale that was advertised as having games (they didn't open at 9am) turns out they started at 2pm. They did have a big pile of PS2 games (and a couple GC ones) but most were 2nd tier games (not sports but titles like State of Emergency, Stuntman, City Crisis). I bought a few games (Mario Kart, cool! but with a Mario Party 6 disc . . . darn) and asked if they sold any more games earlier. Yeah, I think we sold something like 15 of them last week . . . DOH! I didn't see a mention of this sale last week.

At one of the sales today I asked about games and the woman said they had an old nintendo system somewhere, but would need to dig it out. hey gave me their number and I just got off the phone with them. It's got 21 games 2 controllers but they cant find the cables. They asked me what a price point would be and I said I need to see it before I could really judge, that they usually go for cheap at garage sales, etc.

I was talking to the kid on the phone and heard the mom looking up prices online in the background or something, so my hopes arent very high. I figure they'll ask a ridiculous amount. Ah well, we'll see tomorrow

Well, if we're talking about cleaning the exterior of a console, and not the cartridge port, I use one of two methods. I either clean the outside with 409, paper towels and a toothbrush, or, and this is my favorite method, but it takes longer, open it up:

I take out the screws holding the console together, remove the "guts", leaving just both halves of the casing, and put them in hot, soapy (dish detergent) water. A couple passes with a dish brush or toothbrush, and just about any console will come out looking as good as it possibly can. I then take this opportunity to swab out the motherboard and various bits and bobs inside, as well as blast it all out with compressed air. The whole process takes several minutes, but it's about as good as it gets when it comes to cleaning.

[quote name='JediKiller24']Now take that 'illness' to the next level.... It's the end of the month, so storage auctions are in full swing here. Today we'll have the thrill of hunting through the boxes and totes to see what treasures await! maybe it's an illness...but I don't want the cure :D[/QUOTE]

Keep us updated.

This morning when things went bad, I sat down on the couch and watched TV . . . something I never do in the daytime but I had the two new episodes of Storage Wars on the DVR. Damn, Dave's vending machine pickup was a total no brainer but I could see the others passing on it because you really need a big operation to handle them.

I might have to open it. I tested it and the console itself works and plays games, but there's something loose inside it. It doesnt seem to affect playing... but it's bugging me. The games themselves are what I need to clean anyway though, the console just looks dusty. There's some grime on the carts I can get off easy enough i think

I called all 7 storage businesses around here and they all said when they have auctions they advertise in the paper. It would probably be under classifieds near yard sales, right?

[quote name='Potatoeman']I might have to open it. I tested it and the console itself works and plays games, but there's something loose inside it. It doesnt seem to affect playing... but it's bugging me. The games themselves are what I need to clean anyway though, the console just looks dusty. There's some grime on the carts I can get off easy enough i think[/QUOTE]

You will need a special bit to open a N64, or you could try the ghetto "pen melting method" to make one. :)

[quote name='jaydepps']I called all 7 storage businesses around here and they all said when they have auctions they advertise in the paper. It would probably be under classifieds near yard sales, right?[/QUOTE]

Usually they are listed under auctions or public notice depending on the local paper's headings.

Went out again today. Unfortunatly was not a very exciting week. Was able to come across two more speakers for my Surround Sound system. Two Sony book shelve speakers. So I now have my Center, Left and Right channels covered. Just need to get a good sub and I'll be all set.

[quote name='Floopy']Wake up early, hit up a lot of sales, never pay asking price (unless the price marked is already a steal- even then I try not to let on and get it lower).

Never set anything you are on the fence about down, because someone will probably pick it up 3 seconds later.

Get in, gather what you want fairly quickly, negotiate and pay, and get out. Until you pay for what is in your hands, it is not yours yet. I have seen things get sold right out of one customer's hands to another customer.

Other than that, you will pretty much just learn on the fly. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips gonna try my luck tomorrow.

[quote name='slowdive21']You will need a special bit to open a N64, or you could try the ghetto "pen melting method" to make one. :)

Usually they are listed under auctions or public notice depending on the local paper's headings.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Probably the Friday paper?

[quote name='jaydepps']Thanks. Probably the Friday paper?[/QUOTE]

They can be listed any day of the week, typically 2 weeks prior to the auction. Look in the legal notices section of the paper, and look for headings of 'notice of sale', and 'notice of auction' These listing are a legal notice to the people that are delinquent on their rent. The number of units listed in the paper may, and usually does, change between the notice and the day of the sale, because the people have up until the time of the auction to pay their debt.
I keep a notebook and everytime I see a notice in the paper, I log it into the notebook with the name of the storage company, address, phone #, number of units, and the names of the people that owe money. Sometimes the legal notice will just list name, other times they might list the last known address for the person. I usually google the name, especially if they have an address. Sometimes you can find information about the person that can give you an idea of what you might find in a unit. For example, one auction this week I found that one unit was rented by a real estate agent...I've seen units rented by business before, and they typically only contain boxes of files and papers...nothing you want to bid on, and when the door opened up, sure enough 5 file cabinets and tons of office file boxes. On the other hand, the other units at the same auction I was able to determine the renter was an 87 year old man originally from w.virginia. (I bought one of his rooms) I hoped for antiques, and so far I've found lots of antique furniture, 2 boxes full of silver (tea sets, serving spoons, candle sticks, that sort of stuff), and an interesting collection of pocket knives.
anyway, sorry to ramble, but yeah, keep an eye on your paper's legal section. If your local paper has an online classified section, you may be able to find it there if you don't subscribe to the daily paper.

On a related note: I finally saw the episode of Auction Hunters with my brothers friend on it (the first "Chicago" episode 206). I have to ask him about the locker they bought. It only went for $100 and it simply does not make sense, especially since it had visible stadium seats and two bikes in it. People would have bid just on the bikes.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/u4x52s/auction-hunters-the-chicago-grand...

Actually I guess there is a second episode as well that I haven't seen yet.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/h99wlq/auction-hunters-the-chi-town-show...

EDIT: I just watched the auction portion of it. I am surprised the pretty boy didn't get his ass kicked.

There were only 3 advertised sales in my town because the high here is literally 105 degrees today. They each started at different hours. One at 8AM, one at 9, and one at 10. Just my luck LOL. The first was on one side of town, the 9am one was on the other side, and the 10am was on the first side. Worst of all, we were on bikes and it was 100 degrees at this point.

The only video games I saw were some DDR mats / games at the second sale (I've been seeing these all over the place) and then oddly enough, the same DDR games at the third sale. They also had a fat PS2 and were asking $30 for the system, controller, and 2 DDR games (one of which was just an empty case..) I passed because she was only willing to sell it as a package and anyway I was really not in the mood to bike home with a fat PS2 in my backpack.

All in all, a dud of a trip.

EDIT: completely forgot to mention, at the sale that started at 10 (what sales start that late anyway?!) we get there at 9:50 and they don't let us look around because "We said it's starting at 10 and we're still setting up." So us and like 15 other people just stand around for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for 10 on the dot until they say "WE'RE OPEN!" In my opinion, if you're gonna start a sale that late, expect people to be 10 minutes early.

Only went to three sales today.

Tony Hawk 2 $.50 (PSX) Complete
Driver $.50 (PSX) Complete
Wii Mario Kart Pencil pouch $.50

I've never really had much luck with yard sales before despite the fact that I've been going to them every summer weekend for the last couple of years. After reading some of the advice in this thread I decided I would go earlier in the morning (I had a class anyway) and after looking up a bunch of them on Craigslist.

The funniest part about it is that the ones I found on Craigslist didn't really have much. I drove about 40 minutes out to these garage sales because they sounded so appealing online and then I was pretty disappointed. I did find these and I think I got a pretty good deal but I'm kinda new at this so I could be wrong:

IMAG0230.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 $10
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath $10

I had pretty much given up on finding anything else and was on the way back home when I spotted a garage sale just a couple of streets down from my girlfriend's house and decided I would have a look for the hell of it. I'm pretty glad I did.

IMAG0229.jpg

For $25 I got a working N64 (I'd been meaning to pick one of these up since my girlfriend's stopped working), Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Super Star Wars, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Star Wars Episode I: Racer, Starfox 64, Final Fantasy 7, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Nightmare Creatures, and Disney's Hercules.

It was really serendipitous because I had just recently gotten the strong desire to get some Star Wars games and all of a sudden I found a bunch of them all in one place. I also had never actually owned Final Fantasy 7 before (I borrowed it from a friend a while ago) and was super excited to see that. Throw in there a couple of games that are really nostalgic for me (Oddworld, Hercules, and the obligatory Nintendo classics) and I feel really satisfied with the sale. I wasn't sure if the price was good or not (I think FF7 alone makes it worth it) but I was too excited at the time (you can tell I'm a greenhorn) to really care.

[quote name='slowdive21']On a related note: I finally saw the episode of Auction Hunters with my brothers friend on it (the first "Chicago" episode 206). I have to ask him about the locker they bought. It only went for $100 and it simply does not make sense, especially since it had visible stadium seats and two bikes in it. People would have bid just on the bikes.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/u4x52s/auction-hunters-the-chicago-grand...

Actually I guess there is a second episode as well that I haven't seen yet.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/h99wlq/auction-hunters-the-chi-town-show...

EDIT: I just watched the auction portion of it. I am surprised the pretty boy didn't get his ass kicked.[/QUOTE]

Sweet!
I didn't even know you could watch these on the computer!
(Tried Hulu)

Thanks Slowdrive!

Watching as we type!

EDIT: Who is your brother's friend?

EDIT2: HOLY PARDON MY FRENCH SHIT!
On the last unit of the second video, They slam The Wall LOUD!

Posting from my laptop... I spent about $80 today, so I got some great finds. I'll post pictures later.

40 was on that SNES I was talking about earlier... but was way worth it;)

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Sweet!
I didn't even know you could watch these on the computer!
(Tried Hulu)

Thanks Slowdrive! (slowdive, dive)

Watching as we type!

EDIT: Who is your brother's friend?

EDIT2: HOLY PARDON MY FRENCH SHIT!
On the last unit of the second video, They slam The Wall LOUD![/QUOTE]

The auctioneer. "Matt" He had told me they auction off stuff, but I didn't realize he was the guy that does it!

[quote name='Potatoeman']Posting from my laptop... I spent about $80 today, so I got some great finds. I'll post pictures later.

40 was on that SNES I was talking about earlier... but was way worth it;)[/QUOTE]

Oh here go hell come.

Update: I am still waiting on that big lot of games. I just stopped by and his son is supposed to drop everything off in the next 2-3 hours. Hopefully they will be cheap and I will have something to post!

The only remotely interesting thing I got today was a Elder scrolls III Morrowind for the Xbox, disc only in a gamestop case. It was $5 originally but I got them down to $3. I absolutely had to have this since I want to play it even though I haven't gotten to test my $2 Xbox yet since I don't have the cords, if it doesn't work I plan on buying another Xbox eventually so hopefully I will find one at a reasonable price. Even if it doesn't work I should be able to get at least $10 for it for parts.

Or I could get Xbox360 this holiday season and play the Xbox games on the 360 but I don't really like the 360 cause it doesn't have many games I want to play on it and I am totally against the idea of DLC and most of those games have DLC and some of it is even required to finish the game. I also only have a CRT TV and I am not buying another TV simply because I don't need it but I know the X360 works on CRT's cause my cousins used to play games on a CRT.

I actually did end up going out today but it sucked 'cause I couldn't get on the internet so no craigslist and no google maps. And yeah it was hot as all hell.

[quote name='FoodsAreBombs']I've never really had much luck with yard sales before despite the fact that I've been going to them every summer weekend for the last couple of years. After reading some of the advice in this thread I decided I would go earlier in the morning (I had a class anyway) and after looking up a bunch of them on Craigslist.

The funniest part about it is that the ones I found on Craigslist didn't really have much. I drove about 40 minutes out to these garage sales because they sounded so appealing online and then I was pretty disappointed. I did find these and I think I got a pretty good deal but I'm kinda new at this so I could be wrong:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 $10
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath $10

I had pretty much given up on finding anything else and was on the way back home when I spotted a garage sale just a couple of streets down from my girlfriend's house and decided I would have a look for the hell of it. I'm pretty glad I did.

For $25 I got a working N64 (I'd been meaning to pick one of these up since my girlfriend's stopped working), Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Super Star Wars, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Star Wars Episode I: Racer, Starfox 64, Final Fantasy 7, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Nightmare Creatures, and Disney's Hercules.

It was really serendipitous because I had just recently gotten the strong desire to get some Star Wars games and all of a sudden I found a bunch of them all in one place. I also had never actually owned Final Fantasy 7 before (I borrowed it from a friend a while ago) and was super excited to see that. Throw in there a couple of games that are really nostalgic for me (Oddworld, Hercules, and the obligatory Nintendo classics) and I feel really satisfied with the sale. I wasn't sure if the price was good or not (I think FF7 alone makes it worth it) but I was too excited at the time (you can tell I'm a greenhorn) to really care.[/QUOTE]

Wow man, where are you from? I think I saw those exact 360 games at a sale today, maybe we were even both there at the same time?

You did get a decent deal on those either way, you'll never see MW2 for $10 I bet.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Wow man, where are you from? I think I saw those exact 360 games at a sale today, maybe we were even both there at the same time?[/QUOTE]

I live in Coram on Long Island. It'd be pretty cool to know about another CAG near here; I'm sure they're around but from the short time I've been a member and the time I lurked before that I haven't noticed anyone really mentioning it.

I had a terrible start, but a pretty good day overall...

I saw a sale advertised on CL with NES, SNES, and Sega games, so I got there 10 minutes early to look around. I brought my dog with me, which comes into play later. They had about 5 bags of games/systems. 2 NES systems (One top loader), SNES, Genesis, an N64 and tons of games. I'd say about 100 - and good stuff too, not just sports. I sit down and start going through the bags, and my dog starts barking at a cat, so I have to pick her up - I'm still sorting with 1 hand.

Some jerkface walks up and asks - "Are you buying those?" - I told him yes, then he proceeds to grab a bag full of SNES games (50+ games) from under me and look through them. His jerkface son (About 14 years old, heh) walks up and grabs the N64 crap and I glare at him. His dad says "We just came down here for the nintendo stuff." I just about smacked him. I could've said something but I'm so anti-confrontational I just let it go and left. My dang dog made it so I couldn't hold onto the stuff - never again!

Anyway, I left very angry with nothing just as another familiar game buyer walked up to ask about games. I went to my next planned sale and found it had been untouched. I got his boxed Star Wars special edition n64 with about 40 games for $50, and I've already sold 4 games for $60, so the rest is just gravy. I saw that familiar buyer as I was leaving with my hands full and told him about CAG :)

Stopped at about 20 more and found a couple more games, but nothing that would classify as a "find."

[quote name='N3UROP0D']You did get a decent deal on those either way, you'll never see MW2 for $10 I bet.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've seen it once for $10, and another time for $5.

Well, onto my finds of the week.

DSC04778.jpg

Box is shot, barely holding together. But still, $10 for all isn't a bad price. Street Fighter is complete, but the box is really crinkled.

DSC04783.jpg

$6 for all. Don't know if the Game Gear works, but it had enough games. Plus a "bad label" copies of Mario Kart 64 and SM64.

DSC04780.jpg

$12 for all. PS2 slim power cord is shot, at least I hope it's the cord. To get it to come on I have to wiggle and hold the cord where it plugs into the system. Even so, the PS2 fat works, and I got 2 controllers (and 1 broken in half one, why didn't I notice it at the sale?) and 2 memory cards, plus Resident Evil Director's Cut 2-disk, NHL 03, and, umm, some PC card game. Why didn't I notice that and give it back? Oh, this is the PS2 they were looking for for a week that my dad told me about.

DSC04782.jpg

$25 for all. Story is kinda long.
So it's the last stop of the day and we get out and ask for games. The guy calls for his son to get whatever he wants to sell. While he's getting it dad says they're moving in a week trying to get rid of it. Kid comes back out with 23 total games. 19 PS2, 4 PS1, and goes back in. I find an N64 with only a power cord and NES Zapper, and ask the dad how much for all.

He tells me $30, my dad comments how PS2 is older and going out, no one want is, and says he thinks between $20 and $30. Guy says lets split it, $25. I see no amazing titles, so I offer $20 (buy in bulk, and only a couple junk titles, just nothing amazing). He says he has to get his son. Son comes out, and he immediately says he wants more than $20. Dad asks him $25, and he says more. He then says he can sell them on eBay for $5 each (doesn't know what he's talking about), and that he want to sell them on eBay. Dad doesn't want to because of how much extra work it is, and tells him to take the $25, it's basically $1 each. Son stands his ground.

Guy finally convinces his son, telling him he gets the money immediately, and to remember what he's doing for him, so son consents. As I'm walking away, son tries to tell his dad one of the games is worth $50 (lies, again) and the dad thankfully tells him to let it go. So I paid $25 anyway, but had to go through all that when it could have been really easy.

DSC04781.jpg

$25 or so for all. My favorite scores of the day. Kingdom Hearts 1, ModNation Racers, and Knights of the Old republic 1, all complete, all good condition, $10. Backbreaker for $10. Super Mario Land 2, $.25. At that sale, I asked about games, she says no, then says she has 1 Game Boy game, but quickly assures me I'm not interested. I surprise her by saying I might be, she gets it, and she asks me how much. I offer a quarter and it is accepted. Plus throw in Guitar Hero 1 and 2 double pack for $1.

Well, today was pretty good for me too.

1st stop - A working GameCube with cables (but no controller), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, A working Xbox with 2 black and 1 green xbox controller, A logitech green wireless xobx controller, 2o xbox games (mostly lame stuff, but a few good things, like Rocky Legends, Grand Theft Auto San Adreas, and Prince of Persia The Two Thrones), and 21 PS2 games (some decent ones like Half-Life, Bloody Roar 3, God of War 2 2 disc edition, GTA 3, GTA Vice City), and Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden COins,. GOt all of it for $21.

Another stop - Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic (disc has a scratch, I will have to test it but I think it will play fine) and the pc game Daggerfall (elder SCcrolls 2). Daggerfall is complete, in box, with all art and stuff. The disc has some smudges but I can clean it up fine. Got both for $3.

Last stop worth mentioning - Final Fantasy Crisis Core for psp and 007 THe World is Not Enough for N64. - $4

2 pretty nice days for me. I will have to go out again next week.

Ive had a pretty good week for finds.

First today's finds:

100_0423.jpg

$12 for all (expensive in my mind, but i couldnt resist.

100_0424.jpg

Wanted $8 offered $5 - Settled on $6

100_0425.jpg

Paid $5 - Kid was all excited I picked it up and kept telling his mom thats my game so its my money. It had all the disc including Demo and was in good shape. So i didnt try to lowball.

100_0426.jpg

Paid $1 a piece.

Last but not least I picked this up for free, so I could take a trip down memory lane.

100_0429.jpg

It pretty cool. takes me back to when I was a kid and excited for christmas.. story for another time. But its filled with all kinds of game stuff like this:
100_0430.jpg

Also these are my find at Goodwill this week:

100_0427.jpg

FF7 Makes me a Happy Boy:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='mitchondria']Ive had a pretty good week for finds.

First today's finds:

100_0423.jpg

$12 for all (expensive in my mind, but i couldnt resist.

100_0424.jpg

Wanted $8 offered $5 - Settled on $6

100_0425.jpg

Paid $5 - Kid was all excited I picked it up and kept telling his mom thats my game so its my money. It had all the disc including Demo and was in good shape. So i didnt try to lowball.

100_0426.jpg

Paid $1 a piece.

Last but not least I picked this up for free, so I could take a trip down memory lane.

100_0429.jpg

It pretty cool. takes me back to when I was a kid and excited for christmas.. story for another time. But its filled with all kinds of game stuff like this:
100_0430.jpg

Also these are my find at Goodwill this week:

100_0427.jpg

FF7 Makes me a Happy Boy:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
[/QUOTE]

Some "wish books" are worth money for the exact reason you wanted it. I know a lot of people want the ones form the 70s and 80s, it will not be long until people want the 90s ones too! (We used to keep them (80s ones) for years, but my mom recycled them about 10 years ago). I wish I still had them!

I'm glad you are all finding stuff! Keep it comin. :applause:

Yobo With Everything Needed & Duck Hunt, System Only NES - 5
Top Loader NES With Hookups, Dogbone & Tetris - 1
Halo 3 & Call of Duty World At War (Complete, 360 & Not Pictured) - 4

NES was marked a buck and the Yobo get-up was marked 5, took 5 for all. Asked about the top loader which was a buck. The 360 games were my only video game finds Saturday and the reason they weren't included in the picture I took on Friday, were asking 2 each.

Not very many yardsales this weekend surely because of the heat, had a list of 13 for Friday and got to 14 sales total was out from 8 til 9:45. I knew I was only going to be out for about 2 hours tops and wanted to beat the heat but it was already humid out at 8.

3 houses told me I missed the "video games" with one in particular that mentioned DS games and made it sound like somebody bought all of them. I don't remember seeing anything overpriced today.

I saw the lady that owns a junk store out yardsaling nearby and the house I got the top loader at I would have surely missed if I was 5 minutes later as somebody I know from years back stopped by as I was finishing up. I actually passed on asking about any other older games with him around. Without getting into all of the details about it I figured out his eBay user name and even saw him selling a Genesis 2 with a few games that I passed on for $5 about a month ago.

I got out Saturday at 7:45 and was out til just after 10, got to 19 sales total.

Didn't see much in the way of video games so I didn't see anything overprice and the only video games I was told about missing were one house told me (sale started at 7 and this was around 8:30 I'm guessing) that a lady bought all of the Game Boy games.

I did see the one guy who beat me to a boxed copy of Super Mario 64 a while back out today. He was actually on bike today so perhaps it's getting tough on him with the gas prices but he's still finding a way to feed his sickness.

Finally had an epic day. Couldn't be out for long because I was going out with a friend at 11. Went to 3 yard sales and made 3 purchases. First was a Craftsmen router with a bunch of bits for $25 (was looking for just the bits, so was pretty excited). 2nd purchase was a boxed NES with all cables and ten or so (meh) games, and a boxed wii fit plus all for $30. My final purchase was $40.
With that, let's play a game called "Guess which 8 boxes are empty.

IMG_2756.jpg

That lot also came with 2 SNESs, an NES, all the hookups and a buttload of controllers. Most of the empty boxes were for games I already have but don't have boxes to. So, not too upset!

Looking forward to everyone else's finds.

[quote name='slowdive21']Some "wish books" are worth money for the exact reason you wanted it. I know a lot of people want the ones form the 70s and 80s, it will not be long until people want the 90s ones too! (We used to keep them (80s ones) for years, but my mom recycled them about 10 years ago). I wish I still had them!

I'm glad you are all finding stuff! Keep it comin. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Knowing this now, ill hold onto it a bit longer. Thanks for the heads up.

Slow beat me to it but I was going to mention that some older catalogs have selling value.

[quote name='dasme313']With that, let's play a game called "Guess which 8 boxes are empty.
[/QUOTE]

Are you going to tell us . . . I'm guessing its the 8 most rare or valuable games . . . at least that seems your tone.

I'm eating my heart out at all of your guy's finds.

Yesterday was a wash (with rain) and today I was out of town picking up my son from a camp. Then I came to the realization that I can't go out next Thur or Fri. My wife booked this hotel in the Wisconsin Dells for a family party. This is all cool and I knew it was Wed and Thur (avoiding weekend rates). But then it hit me that means we wake up Friday morning at the hotel and head home . . . which means I miss Friday sales . . . NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[quote name='Trullyn']I had a terrible start, but a pretty good day overall...

I saw a sale advertised on CL with NES, SNES, and Sega games, so I got there 10 minutes early to look around. I brought my dog with me, which comes into play later. They had about 5 bags of games/systems. 2 NES systems (One top loader), SNES, Genesis, an N64 and tons of games. I'd say about 100 - and good stuff too, not just sports. I sit down and start going through the bags, and my dog starts barking at a cat, so I have to pick her up - I'm still sorting with 1 hand.

Some jerkface walks up and asks - "Are you buying those?" - I told him yes, then he proceeds to grab a bag full of SNES games (50+ games) from under me and look through them. His jerkface son (About 14 years old, heh) walks up and grabs the N64 crap and I glare at him. His dad says "We just came down here for the nintendo stuff." I just about smacked him. I could've said something but I'm so anti-confrontational I just let it go and left. My dang dog made it so I couldn't hold onto the stuff - never again!

Anyway, I left very angry with nothing just as another familiar game buyer walked up to ask about games. I went to my next planned sale and found it had been untouched. I got his boxed Star Wars special edition n64 with about 40 games for $50, and I've already sold 4 games for $60, so the rest is just gravy. I saw that familiar buyer as I was leaving with my hands full and told him about CAG :)

Stopped at about 20 more and found a couple more games, but nothing that would classify as a "find."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you really need both hands sometimes to assume the "crouched caveman stance." Sometimes it pays to do a quick eyeball of the goods, ask how much, and get going. Another trick is to sit back where the sellers are at while you're looking at games, for all El Hoardo knows you're a part of the family and they're your games to start with :cool:

The 8 empty ones were: Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, Mega Man, Contra 3, Y's Wanderers, Super Metroid, and Breath of Fire.
It was all at a yard sale I almost passed up. All they really had out were boxes of bootleg VHS tapes. I pulled the "do you have any video game stuff you're selling?" line out, and the guy said "yeah, a bunch of super nintendo games, I wasn't putting those outside. Went inside the house and saw half of it in a bag, and the other half in a box. Was asking $2 apiece on the games and I just offered $40 which he seemed thrilled about.
I didn't know half of the stuff that was in the pile until I brought it home, once I saw Chrono Trigger I felt like the double rainbow guy lol. After seeing which boxes were empty I stopped back at the yard sale and left my number in case he came across any of the missing games. Hopefully this will be the exception and he'll call.
Haha, and I love seeing those wish list catalogs. That's how we made our Christmas lists growing up.

nice work dasme. I really need to make it out to more rummage sales. Any milwaukee rummage sale CAGs?

Amazing dasme, you definitely beat my SNES finds today! (A boxed Chrono Trigger? Damn im jealous!)

Here's the pictures from earlier -

1001282z.jpg

.hack Part 3 and 4 complete, minty and a complete gameshark 2 for ps2.
The guy had a lot of games marked really high - he wanted 20 a piece and I said... what about 20 for these 3, which he gladly accepted. Shoulda tried for lower, oh well.

1001286k.jpg

Castlevania 64, and 2 DS Castlevania games, plus 3 manuals for some N64 games I picked up yesterday. I paid 20 for the lot, which is a tad expensive, but the guy was selling for his church so I didnt haggle much.

1001287v.jpg
1001290d.jpg
1001289c.jpg

Snes, 2 controllers, 23 games

Some shovelware that will get bundled together, but there's some good stuff too. I asked if they had boxes but they said definitely not.
Bad news though - I need an SNES video cable to test these since they couldnt find it. Anyone have an extra they wouldnt mind sparing :cry:?

[quote name='Potatoeman']
Bad news though - I need an SNES video cable to test these since they couldnt find it. Anyone have an extra they wouldnt mind sparing :cry:?[/QUOTE]

Any N64/Gamecube cable would work as well

I had a great weekend. And looking back at all the finds from this week, I'm not alone. Congrats everyone. Anywho, here are my finds.

Friday was a pretty slow day. I only ended up with these two things

Uncharted - $10
Mario Paint - $.50

DSC01623.jpg

I've been wanting uncharted for a while. It was marked $10 and I paid $5.

Mario Paint has an interesting story. I showed up at the sale and no one was outside. Usually they'll come out after I start looking around, but even after knocking on the door, no one showed. I found the lone SNES cart in a box of junk but nothing else. While I was looking, two other guys showed up and assumed I was running the sale. I decided to stash the cart in the bottom of a box and hit a few other nearby sales and come back. I had to try knocking again when I got back, and the guy finally answered. He said it was a dollar. I countered with $.50 which was accepted. I asked he if he anything else, but he said no.

Saturday was a much more productive day

Pokemon N64 w/ games and N64 microphone - $10

DSC01605.jpg

This was an unlisted sale. Listed at $10 and they wouldn't budge. Still a good price though. Unfortunately none of the games work. But the system and controller are in perfect condition. I can't test the mic since Hey You Pikachu won't work. Looks ok, though.

SNES and 5 games - $20

DSC01602.jpg

Another interesting sale experience. This was one of the smallest sales I've ever seen. I actually drove right by it the first time. The guy didn't speak any English so his son was our go-between. When I walked up, I saw a walmart sack with 2 SNES consoles, 1 set of cords and 4 controllers. I asked how much and he said $20 for all. I knew I was going to take it, but I wanted to talk him down so I played the "well, there aren't any games" card, but he said they had some. He brings out a box of about 10 games. Half are pretty good, half are sports. I repeated his offer of $20 for all, but after struggling with language issues, I realized he wanted $20 for the systems and another $20 for the games. So I asked if he would split up the lot. I cherry-picked a complete system and the good games for $20. It turns out that one of the SWM carts doesn't work, but no big loss there.

NES/SNES/GBA game lot - $15 (the next 3 pictures)

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

This was just really my day for abnormal sales. This was I "hey, do have any video games?" score. The lady said she had a Playstation 2 which "plays both NES and SNES game." I was curious and asked to see what she had. She sends her son inside to gather up the games and after about 10 minutes of standing outside, he brings out two boxes of games. The mom goes through and picks out a few she wants to keep (Tetris, Tetris 2, Galaga) and offers me the rest for $20. I countered with $15 which was accepted.

Hey Allwhowander are you sure the games don't work?
I Have N64 Games I REALLY should have looked after better that still play after a LOT of blowing on the cartridege and blowing in the slot on the N64. Did you try that?

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Hey Allwhowander are you sure the games don't work?
I Have N64 Games I REALLY should have looked after better that still play after a LOT of blowing on the cartridege and blowing in the slot on the N64. Did you try that?[/QUOTE]

Try getting some 91% rubbing alcohol and some q-tips. Clean the metal contacts of the games with this. I often buy old n64 games at yard sales that don't work until they are cleaned. Then they work great!

Plastic bin with a Sega Genesis, SNES and N64 and a lot of games (Nothing the great but not horrible either) + Playstation carrying bag

- Paid $30
Wanted $40 just for the SNES and Genesis stuff I said $20 he than pulled out the N64 and instead of saying anything I put $30 bucks in his hand and he quickly said OK.

About 20 Gamecube games (Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda Collection, Mario Party, Digimon Pokemon games ETC) No sports titles

-Paid $10
Originally was $15 until I opened up Kirby and it was missing the game so he says "how about $10 than?" Seeing as Kirby was the only game missing Hells yes.

White Dream cast with 2 seasons of MXC
- Paid $10

Slim PS2 all connections 3 controllers
-Paid $7

[quote name='Floopy']Try getting some 91% rubbing alcohol and some q-tips. Clean the metal contacts of the games with this. I often buy old n64 games at yard sales that don't work until they are cleaned. Then they work great![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.

I had already cleaned the contacts, but it didn't help. I also tried them in both the Pokemon N64 and my own regular black one and still nothing. They might work with some heavy TLC, but since I'm going to flip the system, I don't want to risk sending someone a "broken" game and have to do a refund because the game decided to act up after they got it. If the games were more desirable (Ocarina of Time, etc.), I might put some extra effort into getting them into shape, but a sports game and a wrestling game don't seem worth the effort.

I was a little disappointed that Hey You, Pikachu! didn't work. I may try that one again later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back