Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

Out of the 9 systems I got yesterday, 3 ended up not working. One of the sellers lied to my face in this instance about an original xbox, which I'm not thrilled about.

[quote name='xdl']Out of the 9 systems I got yesterday, 3 ended up not working. One of the sellers lied to my face in this instance about an original xbox, which I'm not thrilled about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if I don't see them powered on, I assume nothing works for the premise of paying something I'd feel is fair if it doesn't. I think only one console I got didn't... a spare SNES my dad took (which was in a box with a 64 and a Genesis for $10. The N64 giant power piece fixed my old system which made me happy enough with the price. XBoxes and 360s I'll pay $10-$20 for though, just for parts.

But yeah, lying about it working is a bit weak.

Oh, and hit one yard sale yesterday. No games and nothing but overpriced old stuff (i.e. an 80's 19" RCA TV for either $30 or $35.) There was a nice looking two-tier shelf with coat/hat pegs but it was like $25, so I passed at that price as I have an almost identical one I got for $2.

I went to a few yard sales for the first time this year and got some decent stuff.

2012-05-06_14-23-22_401.jpg

I found the wireless card for 25 cents, the phone for 50 cents, and the N64 game for $2. I'm not really at all interested in that particular N64 game, but I found it odd that it was the only game on the table. I asked the owners if they had any more, of which he said he has a big box of them somewhere in his garage, and will get to it eventually. He took my number and said he'd give me a call when he find them, so I'm really, really hoping he comes through.

2012-05-06_14-24-29_391.jpg

The PS1 was $5, and I almost passed on it until I noticed that a/v cables coming out the back. I read some time ago that apparently the first run of the PS1s have amazing sound quality for CD playback, so I figured what the heck.

The gun was only 25 cents, and it happens to be my first piece of Sega Master System paraphernalia some how.

2012-05-06_12-52-04_167.jpg

All for $1 a piece, figured I couldn't go wrong. I actually need a few of them to beef up my PS2 collection, but I'll be trading away the GHs and Dead Space(top right). If only it was Battlefront II on the Xbox :(

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']If only it was Battlefront II on the Xbox :([/QUOTE]

I just sold a BFII Xbox for $40. I was in Goodwill and was done shopping. I had paid and on my way out I see this toddler on the floor by the media and he's holding BFII and KOTOR . . . I'm like WTF! . . . how did I miss those?

So I walked my stuff to the car and went back in hoping . . . "he was just holding them and his mom would tell him to put them back." Sure enough, 2 minutes later the games are sitting on the shelf. I had to check out a second time but went home happier.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Oh man, I would gladly trade all of my X-Men figures for that Ray Fillet!

I'm a bit curious about books...I know a couple of guys in this thread buy and sell them. What kinds do you look out for? Specific titles, publication dates, or editions? I imagine certain art, science, and technology books (even old ones) are bound to be worth something, but I almost never find anything worthwhile. And where do you sell them? Amazon, eBay, trade-in site, somewhere else? I would to do something with some of the books I acquire, aside from simply donating them. Heck, I would even be happy with a book store that would take them for store credit, but I don't know if any places like that exist around here. Right now, the best thing I've got going for me is PaperBackSwap.[/QUOTE]

It was a nice surprise to find Ray Fillet among all the xmen, didnt notice him until I got home and was taking pictures.

I sell on ebay, mainly I sell childrens books and workbooks. Though I also pick up manga, scifi/fantasy & mystery books. You can do really well selling nonfiction as well but its a genre i don't know very well and in my area there are tons of resellers that look for nonfiction. I'd much rather be on the look out for things that aren't on the normal book sellers radar. It also helps that most of what I sell shows up on scanners as not being worth sold. I've noticed a huge influx of scan bots ( people who just scan everything and usually work for a 3rd party and buy what the scanner tells them to buy) I don't really mind them though, they usually aren't knowledgeable about what sells and are sloooow. :roll: So by the time they have scanned 5 books, i have 20+ in my bag to buy

I may start selling on Amazon again now that we have moved and I have a lot more room for my inventory. For now I'm happy with ebay. I also have 2 local bookstores that I sell to.

I'm very lucky to have 2 great used book stores that pay well, I know that's not always the case with every city. You might try Powell's they will buy books from you and pay for shipping. They have an online price checker, though they are super picky about condition.

[quote name='needler420']Nice find on the figures.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I didn't get to this sale until late in the day so I can only imagine what they had at the beginning of the day

[quote name='slowdive21']Thanks for making me feel better. I am mainly disappointed because she never called or sent the email about games. The Ps2 lot I was a minute late, the DS lot was long gone before I got there (BTW I got there at 9:05. The sale started at 9 AM). I came home empty handed today (for everything), but I only used a half gallon of gas and and couple hours of time hitting the main areas.

I have about 4 days of posts to read in the thread, but I can see some people had some big finds![/QUOTE]

It is such a bummer when people don't call you back, I've stopped counting on it. Sarah is right it was probably a bunch of junk PS2 games anyhow. I can't even begin to count how many large bundles i have found at sales with just crap games.

Your day will come again, though it is frustrating when you spend all day and find nothing. That's why i started looking for other things that way I'm not so disappointed if i don't' find much in the way of games.
If i do see an ad that looks really promising i try and get there 15 min early and regardless of what happens with that sale, I try not to be in a big hurry for the rest of the day. I have found just as many awesome finds at 1pm as i have at 8am.

Well today I got an old PC game called Shivers 2 for 50 cents, it is in the big box in mint condition with manual and complete with tons of hand written cheats. Its always fun to see stuff like this, this person must have put a lot of work into beating this game.

I am really laid back about yard sales, and like you I have found most of my good stuff late in the day. I wouldn't expect a yard sale to call me back about games, and if I asked something like that I assume they would call me back or email me with a price that is 50% more than their original asking price. As soon as you seem interested in something around here prices seem to go up 50%. Therefore I avoid doing this.

What's amusing to me is the fact that there are houses here that are set up every week, and they pay to put an ad in the paper. An ad here is like $35 a weekend, which is A LOT. I know these houses so I know they put out the same junk week after week, and they probably don't have $35 of stuff on their lawn to even cover the price of the ad, even if they sold everything, which we know won't happen. Wouldn't it just be smarter to haul the junk off to the salvation army or even just throw it out instead of wasting $35 and your weekend every single week to have a sale? You would think that people would realize its not going to sell and just junk the stuff. Not to mention the space the stuff takes up in your garage... People are just weird...

Now I can see sitting out with your stuff if you don't have an ad in the paper, in that case it is totally up to you what you do with your time, but I can't see paying $35 to sit outside every weekend and sell junk that won't sell.

I have never seen anyone scanning books around here, I don't think anyone around here even knows special book scanners exist. I see a lot of people with smartphones in hand while yard sale shopping but I have no evidence that they are actually using them to look up prices on the fly, though I am sure they are doing that in some cases. That is actually quite difficult to do on the fly, unless you are the guy in this thread who has written an app that lets him look up something in 8 seconds. But as we all know everyone walks around with a smartphone in their hand 100% of the time so its not unusual to see that.

IMO if you find a large bundle with crap games you are better off going for the cheaper "system only" bundle then getting the games you want through other means. You are better off paying $10 for a system only than paying $35 for a system and games that you aren't going to play and games that have no value on the resell market. Unless of course you are paying the same price for a large bundle as you are for a system only.

[quote name='TheHelix']I saw a dude scanning books for five minutes the other day at a rummage sale. Good luck to him I guess.[/QUOTE]

I've been yard saleing for a few yrs and can tell you that those people come and go. Dude I use to see all the time haven't seen since mid last year.

These people probably come and go because they either move on to other area's or they realize that they can't be profitable alone on scanning books, not to mention the stigma that comes with using a scanner and that some places prohibit scanners. From what I understand these people use a special handheld scanner, these things have to cost money and in order to justify the purchase you would have to make the money back and then some over the price of what you paid for the scanner. My library used to have massive book sales but coincidentally I haven't seen them have a book sale in the last 3 years, not saying this is due to scanners but I can't imagine they would want to be taken by someone with a scanner.

[quote name='Zazoo']I sell on ebay, mainly I sell childrens books and workbooks. Though I also pick up manga, scifi/fantasy & mystery books. You can do really well selling nonfiction as well but its a genre i don't know very well and in my area there are tons of resellers that look for nonfiction. I'd much rather be on the look out for things that aren't on the normal book sellers radar. It also helps that most of what I sell shows up on scanners as not being worth sold. I've noticed a huge influx of scan bots ( people who just scan everything and usually work for a 3rd party and buy what the scanner tells them to buy) I don't really mind them though, they usually aren't knowledgeable about what sells and are sloooow. :roll: So by the time they have scanned 5 books, i have 20+ in my bag to buy[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope that I eventually luck out. One of my hurdles is that I feel like a lot of things are worthless simply because I think they should be and they end up being worth a lot of money. I mean, I see a lot of people post the most hideous shoes in the world in the pick-up thread and I'll "I wonder how much they got paid to haul those abominations away", only to find out the damn things are worth over $100. But of course, if I go out and buy an ugly pair of shoes, I just know I'll get home and find out that I got gypped. And I simply don't have the room in my house (or money in my wallet) to make gambles like that. At least books are recyclable, though. Heh.

[quote name='SaraAB']Well today I got an old PC game called Shivers 2 for 50 cents, it is in the big box in mint condition with manual and complete with tons of hand written cheats. Its always fun to see stuff like this, this person must have put a lot of work into beating this game.[/QUOTE]
Nice! That is one of my favorite games of all time! I know it hasn't aged particularly well, but the first time I played it was an amazing experience and it had a huge impact on me, so I still hold it in very high regard. A lot of those hints/cheats aren't going to be useful because some of the puzzles are random, but it can still be cool to see someone's notes. I think I probably filled every inch of the Notes section in my manual. That game was super deep for a little kid. Ha ha. It was also the first game I ever played online and I still sing some of the songs now and then. If only the monetary value was anywhere near the sentimental value...

[quote name='ZombieToast']Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope that I eventually luck out. One of my hurdles is that I feel like a lot of things are worthless simply because I think they should be and they end up being worth a lot of money. I mean, I see a lot of people post the most hideous shoes in the world in the pick-up thread and I'll "I wonder how much they got paid to haul those abominations away", only to find out the damn things are worth over $100. But of course, if I go out and buy an ugly pair of shoes, I just know I'll get home and find out that I got gypped. And I simply don't have the room in my house (or money in my wallet) to make gambles like that. At least books are recyclable, though. Heh.

Nice! That is one of my favorite games of all time! I know it hasn't aged particularly well, but the first time I played it was an amazing experience and it had a huge impact on me, so I still hold it in very high regard. A lot of those hints/cheats aren't going to be useful because some of the puzzles are random, but it can still be cool to see someone's notes. I think I probably filled every inch of the Notes section in my manual. That game was super deep for a little kid. Ha ha. It was also the first game I ever played online and I still sing some of the songs now and then. If only the monetary value was anywhere near the sentimental value...[/QUOTE]

I will probably end up sending the game to my friend as I send him old PC stuff every Christmas and I only have access to Windows 7 PC's which likely would not run this game. Unfortunately I really don't have the space nor the wall outlets to collect old computers though I would love to. He will definitely find all the hand written cheats amusing.

[quote name='SaraAB']they realize that they can't be profitable alone on scanning books[/QUOTE]

There is no money to be made this way . . . people shouldn't bother even trying . . . especially in my town.

[quote name='SaraAB']not saying this is due to scanners but I can't imagine they would want to be taken by someone with a scanner.[/QUOTE]

How are they taken? People with scanners buy books and the organization makes money.

[quote name='SaraAB']I will probably end up sending the game to my friend as I send him old PC stuff every Christmas and I only have access to Windows 7 PC's which likely would not run this game. Unfortunately I really don't have the space nor the wall outlets to collect old computers though I would love to. He will definitely find all the hand written cheats amusing.[/QUOTE]
There's no need for an old computer for most games. Most of them have some sort of workaround that will work for them. For Shivers II, this is the simplest one:
http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/shivers_2/index.html

You know...just in case you want to check it out for yourself before giving it away.

[quote name='slowdive21']I came home empty handed today (for everything), but I only used a half gallon of gas and and couple hours of time hitting the main areas.
[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain Slow. It's been slow around here. Hasn't helped that it has been rainy most weekends.

I probably hit about 40 sales this weekend and picked up lots of books but very little gaming finds.

I will post some pics (in hopes of finding more this weekend).

This was 2 weeks ago:

Not the awesome bundle I hope for but still well worth the $10 I paid.

Again last week:

$2 for all

This was Friday . . . the only VG pickup worth mentioning, all complete with nice discs (Ratchet is sealed):

They were asking $8 each but I got the group for $25. Weakest link is the Wii Ski but I got it for my daughter.

This badboy was from a thrift (paid .20 last year) but since you guys are talking about classic titles.

I dropped this on ebay for some serious cash . . . probably should've held it until Wasteland II comes out . . . oh well.

I actually managed to find a C64 copy of Wasteland last year for $3. I sold it a few weeks later - really regret it as the value tripled after the Wasteland 2 kickstarter hit.

Not a video game find but I finally scored a cheap copy of Amazing Spider Man 300 (1st Venom - 8.5-9.2 condition). I bought it along with with Uncanny X-Men 141 and 142 (Days of Future Past both 9.0 to 9.6 condition) for $10 total. The story below.

I get to this advertised comic sale and the wife is running the sale. She tells me most comics are a $1 and I immediately pull out the Uncanny X men Days of Future Past Comics. I have copies of these and I have bought them for as little as $3 apiece. She calls her husband who says $10 apiece and I counter her both for $5. She hangs up on her husband and says sure as they havent sold. I then pull out the Amazing 300 and ask her how much. Instead of calling her husband she asks me how much would I offer and I give her $10 for all 3 which she promptly accepts (note-my budget for ASM 300 has always been $20). I then look through and find a few more good comics, including Amazing Spider Man 122 (Death of Gwen Stacy) which stood out from all the late 80s early 90s comics that were there. She said she'll take whatever and i tell her I would only give a few bucks but she should call her husband. She does and this time he comes over and tells me $400. He then knocks the others comics I'm holding to high prices. I say thank you and leave. I email him later asking how much for all his comics he has left outside of the ASM 122. He emails me back what comics I bought already. I havent responded yet as I think he's going to chew me out for what his wife sold me. I don't know if I swindled her or not as she was the one cutting down the value. I have also gotten amazing comic deals before (.50 cents silver age guy followed by 6 for a $1 silver / bronze age guy last year) so yard sale wise, this is what I've come to expect. Problem is, I dont think the guy wanted to part with his comics and I think he wants me to return what I bought and I'm considering doing it (for a my money back plus gas / time). I really wanted ASM 300 but I feel kind of bad even though I told the wife it was worth something. If I didn't tell her to call her husband the second time I would've walked away with ASM 122 (7.0 condition), ASM 298, 299, 315, 316, 317, Wolverine LS 1 (at least a 9.2 I already have 3 other high grade copies), Hulk 240 (5.0 condition) and others for $20 or so total as she was willing to take it.

[quote name='schultzed']They were asking $8 each but I got the group for $25. Weakest link is the Wii Ski but I got it for my daughter.[/QUOTE]
We Ski is actually pretty fun. I'd definitely put it above Dawn of the Dragon. Granted, I probably never would've played it if it hadn't come with my Wii, but I liked it enough for it to still be in my collection.

[quote name='schultzed']I feel your pain Slow. It's been slow around here. Hasn't helped that it has been rainy most weekends.

I probably hit about 40 sales this weekend and picked up lots of books but very little gaming finds.

I will post some pics (in hopes of finding more this weekend).

This was 2 weeks ago:

Not the awesome bundle I hope for but still well worth the $10 I paid.[/QUOTE]

oh wow that's exactly what I'm looking for and at the price point I'm looking for, going to have to try some yard sales this weekend

My work requires that I travel a lot, so whenever I am going to a new city I hit the online ads and let people know I am looking for games. Most of the reponses are laughable, but every once in a while I pick up an amazing lot. Here's my latest score:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155888966/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155891238/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155885864/

Too many gems to mention, and almost everything is in pristine condition. I probably won't make any money on the transaction (I'm keeping most of the collection), but there are enough doubles in the lot to ensure I should come close to breaking even.

[quote name='ChuckT']My work requires that I travel a lot, so whenever I am going to a new city I hit the online ads and let people know I am looking for games. Most of the reponses are laughable, but every once in a while I pick up an amazing lot. Here's my latest score:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155888966/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155891238/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7155885864/

Too many gems to mention, and almost everything is in pristine condition. I probably won't make any money on the transaction (I'm keeping most of the collection), but there are enough doubles in the lot to ensure I should come close to breaking even.[/QUOTE]

Impressive. How much did you pay for that lot?

[quote name='alexkidd4']Impressive. How much did you pay for that lot?[/QUOTE]
I paid $100 for everything you see, plus a box full of accessories and instructions. They even gave me the huge Rubbermaid Tote it was stored in, which was a nice bonus.

Highlights of the lot for me:
- Atari 7800 Complete in box
- Sege Genesis Complete in box
- Final Fantasy Complete in box
- Double Dragon (Atari 2600) Complete in box

Has anyone here heard of the game Dragon Treasure? It was one of the Atari games I picked up, but there isn't a lot of information about it online. Looks like a Zellers game to me, but I am not sure.

[quote name='ChuckT']Has anyone here heard of the game Dragon Treasure? It was one of the Atari games I picked up, but there isn't a lot of information about it online. Looks like a Zellers game to me, but I am not sure.[/QUOTE]
What you've got there is a bona fide knock-off (oxymoron intended). The game is actually called Dragonfire, developed by Imagic. Although often listed as a developer, Zellers is actually just a store in Canada. What they would do is slap new labels on American games, re-package them, and sell them for whatever price they deemed fit. Dragonfire was repackaged as Dragon Treasure, which is what you have. I'm assuming yours has the skull island and pirate ship cover (like this) that Zellers used for a few games. You can click HERE for the official cover. Regardless of the version, it was a surprisingly detailed game for its time and it had a pretty decent storyline laid out in the manual. You can watch a boring but informative review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eui_ikjlYEk

The official Dragonfire is worth about as much as any other Atari 2600 game: right around $5. I'm not sure about your version, however. I've never actually seen a Zellers game sell because people price them so high, so I don't know what would be a reasonable asking price if you want to sell it. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably worth the same as the official. I personally wouldn't pay more than $5 for it and I like knock-offs.

Missed the previous weekend's sales due to having to attend a wedding, so I was pretty anxious to get going on Saturday morning. I was in the area I planned on working by 6:30am for 7am start-time sales, and hit a number of sales just setting up. I probably hit 15 sales before I saw another customer besides myself. Unfortunatley, nearly everything in this particular community sale ended up being baby crap (fairly new community, probably should have known better but have gotten lucky a couple of times out here before). I did end up making a solid find at about 7:45 am, but it was mostly a bust before and after that.

SDC10271.jpg

Picked up everything in the picture above for $32 total. The NES stuff was marked at $50 for everything. I thought about just picking and choosing the gems of that lot, but ended up offering $20 for everything and took it for $25. A few seconds later, I added Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, and Kingdom Hearts to the pile (marked $3 each), which went from $25 to $30. I paid $30, then decided to pickup Elder Scrolls for $2. The games/carts were minty (case games were complete). Everything was very well taken care of, I only wish they had put out more.

Got lucky here, it was an older family (parents in late 50s) in a community full of families with children under age 8. I passed up an Xbox with 2 controllers, cords, and 8 or 9 games (no gems). It was marked $50, but I probably could have taken it for $25 or $30. I considered it, then decided it wasn't worth the effort to make $20 or so on it.

SDC10272.jpg

A few sales later I pick up Kirby Air Ride for $1 (no manual). After that, it becomes sale after sale of baby. Nothing even remotely of interest to me.

I leave the neighborhood around 10am, and head a few miles away, where a late 20s guy gives me 2 xbox 360s free of charge, says he doesn't need them anymore (after testing, 1 had RROD, one works perfectly). He also sells me all the NES games for $2 total. They are grungy and have writing on some (thanks to "Martin") but $2 is nothing.

A few sales after that I pick up a GBA with nasty screen and exploded batteries for $3. It cleaned up just fine, though. New screen + battery cleanup = restored.

SDC10269.jpg

Last sale of the day (around 11:30am), I ask about games and a ~10 year old kid brings out 2 junk xbox 360 games and a DSi with charger + New Super Mario DS. He asks $70 for the DSi + charger + Mario DS, I tell him I was thinking $30 (If he was an adult, I'd have offered even less, but didn't want to completey screw him). He sheepishly asked me to do $35, and I obliged. Craigslisted the lot 4 hours later for $80 for an easy $45 profit.

Same day, a craigslist post advertises video game systems at a sale the next day (Sunday). I ask what all he has, and he tells me Super Nintendo, Turbo Grafx, Genesis, Sears Pong, some odds and ends. Also alludes to the fact that he is unsure of working condition. Below is what I ended up getting from this Sunday-only sale on my first stop there.

SDC10275.jpg

SDC10276.jpg

Anyways, I show up a little too early and have to sit there until they set up. I allow them to set up a few minutes, then get out of my car and make my approach. Look through the cardboard box containing all of the gaming stuff. Disappointed not to see any SNES stuff at all, but somewhat excited at the Turbo Grafx, even if it needs a clean up and a power supply. I end up getting it all for $20. Basically nothing but the genesis is complete; everything is missing one cord or another, or is just an accessory. I try to get him to find some games, but he looks for a bit and can't find any. I leave.

2 hours later he texts me "just found 24 super nintendo cartridges." I head back (20 minutes away) to find 24 NES cartridges, almost half sports titles. At this point, I realize that he has Nintendo and Super Nintendo mixed up. Unfortunately, a lot of 24 NES games is probably worth just 10 to 20% of a lot of 24 SNES games, on average.

SDC10273.jpg

He references looking up a few on ebay, and asks $1 each. I tell him at that price I'd only buy a few. I offer $10 for all, we settle at $12. 50 cents a cart is decent, though I wish they truly had been SNES carts. Oh well.

Overall, I can't complain too much (some would say I shouldn't complain at all, but I will a little anyway because I have high standards). Still waiting for a massive score (one where I haul $500+ in games/systems off a driveway for $50 or so); had 2 or 3 of those last year. I only hit up the neighborhood that I did on Saturday because it was a community sale, where I figured I could hit 50+ sales and make a few solid finds, even if a lot was baby. Well, I hit 55 sales in that neighborhood and made exactly 1 decent gaming find. I could have outfitted 10 daycares, however. Will likely avoid this area in the future.

Will get back to my normal areas starting next week. Hopefully I'll find some SNES/N64/PlayStation stuff, though I'll settle for a nice GameCube or Xbox lot or 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly that kid probably would have gotten like $20 for that DSi if he traded it to Gamestop and took the cash option especially with price drops looming for the DSi.

Yeah. You have to understand, these are yard sales. They are the the only place you can really negotiate prices anymore, and the place that you should EXPECT to negotiate.

There is no reason NOT to try and get stuff cheaper than asking price. If they accept the lower price, then it is their "fault". They could easily say no or go up on the offer. I try to leave my morals at the door when I go out to sales unless it's a church sale or something.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Yeah. You have to understand, these are yard sales. They are the the only place you can really negotiate prices anymore, and the place that you should EXPECT to negotiate.

There is no reason NOT to try and get stuff cheaper than asking price. If they accept the lower price, then it is their "fault". They could easily say no or go up on the offer. I try to leave my morals at the door when I go out to sales unless it's a church sale or something.[/QUOTE]

Personally if it is a charity sale, I try not to haggle too much. If the people are nice I negotiate, but I don't lowball. If the people are jerks, I bust out flea market level negotiations. Most people are terrible at negotiating, so I take it easy if they get something from out of the house for me. :D

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I was out of town and had FCBD, so I am way behind on my thrift and gsale pics.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it's ok to be a dick, just that yard sales are pretty much the one place where you should expect to be lowball'd.

Speaking of, I got these for $15 on Saturday. I didn't want to go out this weekend, but my girlfriend's neighborhood was doing a community sale so I walked around with her. Not a bad find, but it was the only gaming stuff we saw at all.

tdjhb.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']Personally if it is a charity sale, I try not to haggle too much. If the people are nice I negotiate, but I don't lowball. If the people are jerks, I bust out flea market level negotiations. Most people are terrible at negotiating, so I take it easy if they get something from out of the house for me. :D

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I was out of town and had FCBD, so I am way behind on my thrift and gsale pics.[/QUOTE]

If it has make offer on it, or no price on it, then I make my offer. That is an invitation for a lowball offer, IMO. My offers are based on prices that I have seen elsewhere. Pretty much everyone here sells VCR's for $1, never more than $3. They don't move at that price even. But I offered 1$ for one this weekend and was totally shot down. That is ok, that person can keep what they will never be able to sell. If they aren't moving at a dollar, then I think its perfectly OK to ask for that price if an item is not priced. Insanely overpriced items will get me to walk away from your sale very quickly without buying anything. Seriously, I am not buying your $3 VHS tapes..

Prices are usually cheap enough at charity sales where you don't have to worry about negotiating. You have to watch out for people holding yard sales and claiming to donate to a fund or something though, you have no idea where that money is actually going.

[quote name='Doomstink']I actually managed to find a C64 copy of Wasteland last year for $3. I sold it a few weeks later - really regret it as the value tripled after the Wasteland 2 kickstarter hit.[/QUOTE]

I just got lucky with my Wasteland. I picked it up while sifting through books at Salvation Army and got it without knowing anything about it but I loved the artwork and wanted to show my kids 5" disks. I was busy and never looked it up. If I could've gotten $50 for it at the time . . . I would've taken it.

When the Wasteland II announcement was news my son mentioned it (he reads constantly but isn't a gamer--although he is addicted to Minecraft) . . . and I went "hmmm, what was that game that I found last year?" I put it on Amazon for $250 and I had an interested buyer (from Norway) but he said I was overpriced . . . but would buy it for $170. He also said I should watch ebay to see how overpriced I was. So, I saw a PC version top out over $400 and put mine on ebay.

I caught a BIN at $350. I think I undersold it but I can't complain.

I know this is a longshot but if anybody picks up a used PSP, DS, GBA, or GBSP that they are not trying to get rich on let me know. I just started working second shift at the hospital and really need something to kill the time.

Thanks,
Anthony

[quote name='ajh2298']I know this is a longshot but if anybody picks up a used PSP, DS, GBA, or GBSP that they are not trying to get rich on let me know. I just started working second shift at the hospital and really need something to kill the time.

Thanks,
Anthony[/QUOTE]

If no one steps up DS systems are dropping in price, you can likely get a brand new one for $99 or possibly less. You can get a DSi XL for like $130 now. Get that and a couple long, cheap RPG games and you are good to go. There are tons of games for the DS that are good and are around $10 each on ebay. Personally I would go for the new system if I was gonna be playing a lot, just because I don't really want to know what the previous owner has done with that handheld system, and you can't replace a controller like you can on a regular system. Something about other people's grime on handheld systems just irks me, and you can't get it all off because these things are difficult to open up and clean out.

Just a heads up. Riverton, NJ has its annual Town-Wide yard sale coming up Saturday May 12th. I'll be selling a large portion of my PS2 collection, might be a couple PSX and Dreamcast titles in the mix.

Saw a community wide sale advertised between work and home with lots of stuff including blurays and vinyl records. Maybe not worth a special trip tomorrow...

But if I can convince the wife to stop on the way home today...

[quote name='Reaggo']Just a heads up. Riverton, NJ has its annual Town-Wide yard sale coming up Saturday May 12th. I'll be selling a large portion of my PS2 collection, might be a couple PSX and Dreamcast titles in the mix.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! That's actually where I'm headed today. Good luck with your sale.

[quote name='dasme313']Awesome! That's actually where I'm headed today. Good luck with your sale.[/QUOTE]

Nice meeting.you earlier man, I did alright cleaned up about $300.

The yard sale gods were definitely not shining down on me today. So much for a "town-wide" sale. There were a total of 7 sales, all of which were mostly junk. The only thing of note that I saw today was a $50 PSP. It was in good shape, but the seller wouldn't budge on the price, so I passed.

I didn't buy a single thing. So disappointed.

Went to a town wide yard sale at my grandma's house today.

Bought 3 DVDs for a buck, saw a $10 Genesis, then further about 30 minutes later on the other side of town I saw the same Genesis for $20 and a stack of $15 GC games. Saw a bunch of Pokemon stuff too, but the guy wanted Gamestop prices for it all.

I did get to cruise around on a golf cart all morning though.

You guys will like this. First yardsale of the day, I get there at a chipper 10:30 AM because I really didn't feel like getting out of bed. I noticed an unexciting Atari bundle but ask about other games and in a couple of minutes they emerge from the house with a controller-less gamecube and dirty ps1. However...

May12thYS1.jpg

The funny thing is I nearly passed on these...but since the Chrono Cross and Spyro had nice discs I offered $5...they countered with $7 and I tossed another 50 cents in for the Metal Gear (Disc 1 is rough). $7.50 total.

The next two hours were mostly a bust, reducing yours truly to scavenging marginal NES boxes from the semi-annual public park flea. :lol: A short time later I return home to hydrate and check out the goods.

May12thYS2.jpg

Hmm, what's this? I'd like to play Smash TV.

May12thYS3.jpg

HOLY SHIT, IT'S TEAM BUDDIES!

[quote name='burritoman']Nice pull on Team Buddies.[/QUOTE]

*nod* It's the first one I've seen in my area too; I'll probably keep it in the collection for now.

bread's done
Back