Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I'm reading that apparently the money is going to sit on hold for 20+ days because I'm not a frequent seller (item has to ship + buyer has to receive item + buyer has to leave feedback = money is released)... this kind of sucks... now I remember why I quit selling on eBay and associating myself with PayPal.....

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/ebay_payments_learn_more

The buyer is questionable too... I'm his third sale and he bought Flintstones 2 and Bonkers (two other rare games) in the past week..... http://myworld.ebay.com/porschealltheway964/&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2754

Sending the package to a US Address....

Sorry if this is off topic.[/QUOTE]

Signature confirmation + insurance.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I was planning on it. Thanks for confirming that's what I need to do.[/QUOTE]

No problem. That combination won't guarantee you won't get ripped off, but it is about the most you can do.

Had a great day this past Saturday. Got out early, hit up a sale that advertised games but turned out to be a bust (overpriced crap), then hit up a few community sales, spent over $100 throughout the morning but it was well worth it. As is generally true, I found most of my best stuff at or before 8am. After that, in my area, it drops off (but you can still find some stuff later in the morning if you go to some less busy yard sale areas). To the finds...

SDC10340.jpg

Picked up this Pokemon game lot for $45. Pretty solid price, got to it at one of the first few sales of the morning. Not much really to say here except a ~10 yr old kid was downsizing his DS and GBA collection, and I pulled out anything worth at least $10. Other shoppers came over once they saw what I had, but of course, by then it was too late for them. Offered $40, took it for $45.

SDC10349.jpg

A few sales later, I went to a sale that advertised Nintendo and Xbox games right at its 8am start, and found all of this for $35. The Xbox and Gamecube games were marked $7 each, but I was able to talk the 50s woman seller down to $3 each (by saying that's how much I generally pay at other yard sales for games). Most of the titles were crap, but a few were not and ended up in my haul.

I then asked about older games and gameboys, and she wasn't ready to let the SNES go yet she said, but had some old gameboys inside. She came out with all the Gameboy stuff, I offered $10, but she denied and started down the "maybe I'll put it on Craigslist" road. Sensing that I might lose the gameboy find, I countered with $20, which she accepted. Only went up to $20 because of the Megaman Xtreme 2 and Dragon Warrior III titles.

SDC10353.jpg

Later in the day, around 10am, I hit a sale where I found a box of PS2 games (mostly crap) + slim system/wires/controllers, marked at $25 for everything. When I tried to buy it, the seller yelled at his young son (maybe 7 yrs old) for the wording of the sign, and then said that it was supposed to be $25 for the system, and $5 per game, or $75 for all. Seeing that I wasn't going to get anywhere with the PS2 stuff, I asked the kid about other games/DS's/gameboys. He ran inside, grabbed his DSI and box of games (almost all were shovelware). When his dad asked him if he had any other handheld system to play if he sold this stuff, the kid said "I have my ipod touch!" Anyways, the kid convinced his dad to sell: step 1 complete. Then, I convinced them to let me take the pictured items above to my car for $30 (took the only games worth taking): step 2 complete. I love finding cheap DSis; I can Craigslist them same day for $75 or $80 easily.

SDC10354.jpg

Throughout the day, I found a game or 2 here and there. Everything here was $1 at one sale or another. Every game was complete except Sonic Heroes. I also found a nasty little GBA SP + charger at one sale for $3. It was beat to hell and had stickers all over it, but I picked it up anyway.

Saturday mornings like these make getting 3 hours of sleep well worth it, IMO. Let me know what you think, can't wait til Saturday!

[quote name='Floopy']I also found a nasty little GBA SP + charger at one sale for $3. It was beat to hell and had stickers all over it, but I picked it up anyway.
[/QUOTE]

If it's an AGS-101 and if you'd be willing to let it go, I'd be interested in buying it from you. Wouldn't mind getting one for my 5 year old son. I would just end up replacing the casing with one off of DealExtreme.

292128_362213073838095_100001482152503_1043422_1078959690_n.jpg

Never got around to posting this from last weekend, spent $19 total. Legend of Legaia was the most interesting find, found it and the other jewel case games in a giant CD rack at a woman's house who evidently resells the contents of storage units.

[quote name='Tsel']Huge townwide sales at Lake Thunderbird, IL tomorrow and I have absolutely no one to go with. =/[/QUOTE]

So?

late posting for last week / I hit a large community sale in sourt Orlando / St. Cloud. I ran across some interesting things, non-game related.

Halo 2 Special Edition Complete - $1
Deus Ex III X360 Complete - $5
Crysis 2 X360 Complete - $5
World of Warcraft Package - $5
includes complete World of War Craft, Burning Crusade, Lich King, and *NEW and SEALED* Cataclysm with 4 strategy guides - THIS PACKAGE IS FOR SALE ON THE CHEAP!

Non-game finds

Craigslist Deal done in the afternoon
$11.50 Magic the Gathering lot , 40 Rares, 500 cards total plus Dragon Ball Z cards and 7 import Pikachu figurines with NEW Surfing Pikachu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...US0mnJmcCDW2%2B%2BYi0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
only picture I can find of it, probably not selling mine

*Find of he Day*

For $20 I got
4 Game worn UCF football jerseys
1 Pitttsburgh Penquins Jersey
1 San Francisco Gians XL Jason Seahorn Aunthentic Jersey
1 Autographed Johnny Damon Baseball
1 Autographed Andre Dawson baseball with Autographed Andre Dawson Card
1 Autographed(!) Yogi Berra Baseball(!)
1 Autographed Carmelo Anthony Syracuse Jersey(!!!!!!!!!)

Yogi ball is going to father, I gave away one UCF jersey to a buddy that is moving and I have an open offer on each of the others. The Carmelo Jersey sells for at least $100 unauthenticated so girlfriend may make me part with it.

None of the autos have COAs but I looked them up when I got home. The Carmelo Anthony is initialed like he does jerseys (complete with his pen mark hitting the edge of the number) and the Yogi Berra ball is accurate as the "i" is faded like in the pictures. I may get those two authenticated.

[quote name='Otherguy676']late posting for last week / I hit a large community sale in sourt Orlando / St. Cloud. I ran across some interesting things, non-game related.

Halo 2 Special Edition Complete - $1
Deus Ex III X360 Complete - $5
Crysis 2 X360 Complete - $5
World of Warcraft Package - $5
includes complete World of War Craft, Burning Crusade, Lich King, and *NEW and SEALED* Cataclysm with 4 strategy guides - THIS PACKAGE IS FOR SALE ON THE CHEAP!

Non-game finds

Craigslist Deal done in the afternoon
$11.50 Magic the Gathering lot , 40 Rares, 500 cards total plus Dragon Ball Z cards and 7 import Pikachu figurines with NEW Surfing Pikachu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...US0mnJmcCDW2%2B%2BYi0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
only picture I can find of it, probably not selling mine

*Find of he Day*

For $20 I got
4 Game worn UCF football jerseys
1 Pitttsburgh Penquins Jersey
1 San Francisco Gians XL Jason Seahorn Aunthentic Jersey
1 Autographed Johnny Damon Baseball
1 Autographed Andre Dawson baseball with Autographed Andre Dawson Card
1 Autographed(!) Yogi Berra Baseball(!)
1 Autographed Carmelo Anthony Syracuse Jersey(!!!!!!!!!)

Yogi ball is going to father, I gave away one UCF jersey to a buddy that is moving and I have an open offer on each of the others. The Carmelo Jersey sells for at least $100 unauthenticated so girlfriend may make me part with it.

None of the autos have COAs but I looked them up when I got home. The Carmelo Anthony is initialed like he does jerseys (complete with his pen mark hitting the edge of the number) and the Yogi Berra ball is accurate as the "i" is faded like in the pictures. I may get those two authenticated.[/QUOTE]

What size is the Melo jersey? :lol:

2012-05-25123536.jpg

Gaming related things I bought today. Xbox 360 Pro system for $5. It seems to be freezing as it starts. Hopefully I can fix it. The original PS2 I bought for $5 was custom painted silver and it has a network adapter that was also painted silver.

I decided to sleep in today and try my luck at the big sales tomorrow since my girlfriend wanted to go but couldn't today. I'm really hoping that all the good stuff doesn't get snatched up today.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']
2012-05-25123536.jpg

Gaming related things I bought today. Xbox 360 Pro system for $5. It seems to be freezing as it starts. Hopefully I can fix it. The original PS2 I bought for $5 was custom painted silver and it has a network adapter that was also painted silver.[/QUOTE]

if worse comes to worse, you might be able to trade in the 360 (if it passes employee inspection) for 100 in store credit.

[quote name='DCpinoy']if worse comes to worse, you might be able to trade in the 360 (if it passes employee inspection) for 100 in store credit.[/QUOTE]

There's no warranty sticker though :/

Srbemrich
IMG_20120525_162013.jpg

got 6 complete in box gameeboy advance games

Mario & Luigi Super Saga
Megaman Zero 3
Mario Party Advance
Megaman 5 Network Team Protoman
Warioland 4 (has box but doesnt have the manual)
Megaman & Bass (has box but doesnt have manual)

Paid 20 for everything. Im not obsessed with completeness on this games so might resell if they are worth much extra complete and just try to pick up some cart only ones laters. Anyone know what I could epect to get outta these? I dont expect to much

[quote name='DCpinoy']if worse comes to worse, you might be able to trade in the 360 (if it passes employee inspection) for 100 in store credit.[/QUOTE]

Even if it did have the sticker, they'd still test it to see if it worked. Freezing consoles aren't exactly what GS desires to take.

Hit 4 sales, only one listed games... Too bad it opened yesterday. A Gamecube and controller for $6 was the only thing left. Interested until I picked up the controller (it sounded like a can filled with rocks).

Only game was Madden (year?), $0.50.

Oh well.

First day of this long weekend. I think it was a good start. Went to a yardsale advertised as a Geek sale. Get there just as it opens, already someone looking around. Luckily I got to the game table before he checked everything else. I was astonished at the games and more so the prices. $2 a game or 3/$5. Wah! The guy selling this stuff definitely knew what he had to since he runs a computer convention around here.

This is what I got.

So much good stuff. The other guy ended up getting some games I was looking at like Castlevania 3, not sure what else they picked up... I also left a few gems like the Streets of Rage 1 & 2, sadly no 3.

Also picked up this Game Gear lot for $15. Which is really weird to find an import game at a garage sale, let alone a game my girlfriend has been looking for for a while. Puyo Puyo Tsu

Last but not least....

...finally have a TMNT cereal bowl ! Life checklist just got a bit shorter. That and the DBZ shot glasses all for $1.

$41 dollars for all that from one sale. I look forward to tomorrow

Yesterday hit four sales before coming home happily with mint copies of Rayman 2, MediEvil, and Final Fantasy VII on PS1. $3 each, lady knocked a buck off because I bought 3 games, so $8 total. FFVII is the greatest hits version but it's a game I've been wanting for ages and the condition is perfect so I'm happy.

Not a good day today. I blame the rainlike conditions outside.

First sale advertised a PSP and some 360 games. PSP was white but had no games/charger. 360 games were Tropico 4 and NCAA 12. Guy offered 50 for the lot but that's way too much. He told me he could trade all that stuff in and Gamestop for that much (probably not) so I just walked away.

One sale I ran into my nemesis and bought a Despicable Me minion plushie for 50 cents. Guy originally offereed $1 and I was gonna bite but he lowered it last minute :D

Community sale had some Xbox games. I got Vice City for $1. It was one part of the trilogy set. The disc was really rough but it was complete and I didn't want to haggle at a church sale. Funny thing though is that it was from a Mormon church and I remember I grew up with a Mormon kid and he wasn't allowed to play M rated games lol

Last sale I went to had a sealed Lego SW Twilight set for $80. That was a great deal, but I don't have that kind of money lying around unfortunately. There was also a SW Freeco Speeder for MSRP (around $25 IIRC) but I got dupes of that when I saw it on clearance at Kmart.

Oh well, guess I'll enjoy celebrating a friend's birthday for the rest of the day. Korean BBQ is likely to be involved.

[quote name='TheHelix']

360 games were Tropico 4 and NCAA 12. Guy offered 50 for the lot but that's way too much. He told me he could trade all that stuff in and Gamestop for that much (probably not) so I just walked away.
[/QUOTE]

Taken from the GS trade in thread.

NCAA Football 12 - $14 (3/27/12)
Tropico 4 - $12 (3/5/12)

You made the right call. :D

[quote name='kermit036']First day of this long weekend. I think it was a good start. Went to a yardsale advertised as a Geek sale. Get there just as it opens, already someone looking around. Luckily I got to the game table before he checked everything else. I was astonished at the games and more so the prices. $2 a game or 3/$5. Wah! The guy selling this stuff definitely knew what he had to since he runs a computer convention around here.

This is what I got.

So much good stuff. The other guy ended up getting some games I was looking at like Castlevania 3, not sure what else they picked up... I also left a few gems like the Streets of Rage 1 & 2, sadly no 3.[/QUOTE]
Going by the values on Video Game Price Charting, you made out really well at that sale at $2 a game. The only ones I can see that you either broke even or got taken(by $1) on as far as value goes were Hydlide and Eternal Eyes.

Otherwise the rest of the lot in those first pics have an average value of $6-8 give or take. Hell. I'd love to get some classic games for $2 a pop or 3/$5. So obviously that guy selling that stuff didn't really know what he had there.

100 Mile Yard Sale in my neck of the woods this weekend. Was tempted to go after work, but don't really want to hassle with it and I don't have much to spend anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Going by the values on Video Game Price Charting, you made out really well at that sale at $2 a game. The only ones I can see that you either broke even or got taken(by $1) on as far as value goes were Hydlide and Eternal Eyes.

Otherwise the rest of the lot in those first pics have an average value of $6-8 give or take. Hell. I'd love to get some classic games for $2 a pop or 3/$5. So obviously that guy selling that stuff didn't really know what he had there.[/QUOTE]

Just because he is selling them at that price doesn't mean he didn't know what he had. TONS of people don't want to go to the trouble of selling online. Most people just want stuff gone. Lots of people don't need the money and just use garage sales as a means of getting rid of stuff quickly they don't need or want.

Shitty day. Got some blank Wii and 360 cases for 50 cents. Found a dirty PS2 with an RF adapter instead of AV cables... asked the girl how much she wanted for it... she said, "How much do you think?" I offered $3... she laughed and said $30. I told her that's what they cost at GameStop and left.

Hit up a few sales
Contacted one guy last night who listed a ton of stuff
He had SNES games, NES with games, Xbox system, 360 games, Genesis games, ps2/ps1. Two ps2's for sale including a fat with swap magic mod.

I snagged RE2, Re4, Fable II, and Silent Hill BL for $35, a little more that I would like.

Wasn't planning on hitting any sales this weekend, but stopped by one near my house on the way home from running errands.

Picked up the following for $3 (all the change I could find in car..)

PS1
- RE3 - Nemesis - Disc Only (Was in dvd case with some "fancy" hand drawn art....)
- Metal Gear Sold - Disc 1 - Disc Only
- Syphon Filter - Disc Only

PS2
- Destroy All Humans 2 - Disc Only
- The Godfather - Disc Only
- Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow - Disc Only
- Jak and Daxter - Precursor - Complete
- The Thing - Complete

Got a Logitech PS2 controller for $1 with receiver, the newer smaller one.

Went to a house that had a complete and almost brand new slim looked like it was never used xbox 360 with kinect and a few games, and some accessories in package like the play n charge kit, it was not sold well after 12noon, this was advertised in the paper and still not sold. This is the first time I think I have seen a current gen console at a yard sale in like new condition. Of course it was baking in the sun though, I don't know if that would harm it or not. I didn't ask the price as I am not interested since I already have a 360.

Only hit a few sales today, but did pick up the following:

:ps2: Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3
:ps2: Monster Rancher 4
:gc: Super Smash Bros. Melee (missing manual)

All for $10. They all look great but SSBM came in a standard dvd case.

Great day today. Working Laserdisc player with about 75 movies for $120, and a Gameboy Colour, Pokemon Yellow and Gold, Donkey Kong Land, Super Smash Bros N64, and International Superstar Soccer '98 N64 for $4

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^I didn't even know there were two different variations of the wireless Logitech controller for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know there are, because I now have both of them, unless the first one was for PS1, which also just so happens to work with PS2. I really don't know, but I have both of them. The first one is massive and has slippery analog sticks, but that can be fixed easily by purchasing some of those cheap rubber analog stick covers from ebay, it also takes 4 AA batteries and has a huge receiver on a cord. The second one is much smaller, only takes 2 AA batteries and the sticks now have rubber on them so your fingers don't slip off, the receiver is also very small and just fits in the controller port, and most importantly does not block the memory card port. Though I can't say which controller I like better, they both have their strengths, the large one is very big and heavy, but its also very comfortable to hold. However not the best design with 4 AA batteries and no covers on the analog sticks. The smaller one is also comfortable. I know both controllers are probably worth a few bucks each, as gamestop still sells them for 14.99.

Here is a good explanation from another forum, there are actually 4 versions, plus a white one, I will have to look out for that one, it looks like I have the first and third versions.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?153583-PS2-wireless-controller-help

Even though this thread says the first version is bad, I think its very usable.

The controller I bought today has 2 triangle buttons, very very odd, the controller works fine, and all the buttons work fine, but there are 2 triangle buttons, I can only imagine this being a manufacturing defect as I can't imagine the person I bought it from opening it up and changing the buttons, anyways it was only a dollar and lets face it, its probably the best PS2 controller you can find for a dollar around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an absolute bust of a day. Out of 40 sales, I only saw 4 games total and they were all overpriced. One was actually :wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 so I was incredibly excited to see that. Too bad the seller would not budge from the $30 price tag. :roll:

I did snag some pretty cool LEGO sets for $3. They're not in the package, but I'm pretty sure they're complete. I got some Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, and a few Bionicle figures.

Today was kinda crap, here's the humps:

- Saw a corroded and very scratched up Gameboy Color (Teal), they were asking $5 but I couldn't even bring myself to do $3...it just seemed like a flip headache waiting to happen.
- Catherine demo disc and Call of Duty Black Ops for PC...it can't be xbox360 games...that would be too simple!
- Super shitty random road sign that leads to an apartment moving sale which consists solely of three pieces of furniture. It's like hey, use Craigslist for this stuff--don't pose as a yard sale.
- Kids too lazy to get out their PS2 console-only which I don't want XD

After that abuse, here's what I got:

Double Dragon and Rescue Rangers (nes carts) - $4 Overpaid to fill out a bulk lot, I was definitely picking the picked over box.

Beyond Good and Evil guide - 75 cents

Shadow of the Colossus PS2
Bloody Roar Primal Fury Gamecube
= $5

The SOTH is GH sealed, but has some tears in the wrap and a promotional drill hole in the lower right :drool: The Bloody Roar is complete and decent though--I usually don't see too many fighters on the used market in my area.

Ended up hitting a section of the 100 Mile Yard Sale.

Only purchase was The First Family LP by Vaughn Meader for $1. I already own a copy, but the sleeve and record were in better shape than what I have. So score.

Saw some gaming stuff in really nasty shape (dirty/water damage), random guitar hero controllers, few guides, and a scratched up Gameboy Advance SP. Nothing worth flipping or adding to the collection.

Usually I just see a ton of Wii and 360, but one seller had PS3 games too. They also had an enormous amount of DVDs. It was either a rental joint that had went under or they were selling off their excess of older movies.

Same booth had a few large stacks of water damaged vinyl records, a few of which they had cherry picked to put on their covered table. Too bad those were still junk too.

What is the highest priced item you've seen at a sale that wasn't a vehicle/large item?

An exchange between my wife and a seller about a 20's era metal toy for $700 begged me to ask the question.

Only thing I can think of was a very tricked out rifle for $1400.

Overall it would have been a good day had we dressed for the heat. Forgot to pack shorts/t-shirts on a day when it got up to 96 degrees.

What is the highest priced item you've seen at a sale that wasn't a vehicle/large item?
The most expensive item I've ever seen at a yard sale was a cello for which the seller wanted I think $1000.

I am not sure what the most expensive has been, probably an accordion for like $500 or TV's and furniture/appliances for $650 and up. Its amazing how many people try to sell old TV cabinets that will only fit CRT TV's which no one has anymore and will not fit flat screens, and they still want like $1000 for them.

Over here I don't think you can sell anything over like $50, as people simply don't walk around with that much in their pockets, of course if you had an iDevice and a square reader that was set up you could probably get more with credit cards. Over here its mostly working with what people have in their pockets though as most people live off EBT which Walmart and retail stores take and yard sales don't take. Craigslist ads are different though, if someone sees the ad and has money prepared before they go pick up the item it is different.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Wasn't planning on hitting any sales this weekend, but stopped by one near my house on the way home from running errands.

Picked up the following for $3 (all the change I could find in car..)

PS1
- RE3 - Nemesis - Disc Only (Was in dvd case with some "fancy" hand drawn art....)
[/QUOTE]

Take a picture! I love fan art game covers. I did one for Clay Fighters when I was about 8 or 9 and I still have it.

Here are my 'finds'. I had 2 deaths in the family/friends family as well as a lot of stuff going on, so I haven't been motivated or being able to attend many sales yet this year.

This is for people who are interested in learning more about glassware:

Royal Albert China is pretty much worth picking up as long as it is cheap,not chipped, and not cracked. This is the most common pattern, so it isn't worth much. I paid $1 from an old lady.

16a58b69.jpg
b367d3ab.jpg

If it doesn't have a copyright date it is older and still made in England (and worth buying). ;)

---

The rest is from the same sale. I saw the trolls and asked about games. The guy let me come into his house and pick out what I wanted from their games. I left a Genesis and junk games, because he wanted to look them up. I also left a fat ps2 with sports games because he was going to trade to gamestop.

Vintage Troll Dolls .10 each (but I paid $4 for the rest of these pics total).

efbae7a4.jpg

4dfb1382.jpg

N64 with hookups and original NES av cable (notice no white RCA jack, since it is mono)

7e87b430.jpg

CIB Streets of Rage ans Street fighter 2 Special Champion Edition (genesis) and goldeneye n64

d7422e14.jpg

[quote name='kermit036']Take a picture! I love fan art game covers. I did one for Clay Fighters when I was about 8 or 9 and I still have it.[/QUOTE]
That would definitely be cool to see, as well as seeing your Clay Fighters drawing! ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']Here are my 'finds'. I had 2 deaths in the family/friends family as well as a lot of stuff going on, so I haven't been motivated or being able to attend many sales yet this year.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, that sucks to hear, my condolences. Hopefully things start looking brighter for you soon!

[quote name='kermit036']Take a picture! I love fan art game covers. I did one for Clay Fighters when I was about 8 or 9 and I still have it.[/QUOTE]

I already tossed it... It was a rough picture of some blond haired lady with two guns over her head. Also had #1 Game across the top... I personally thought it was kind of dumb.. but yeah...

[quote name='ROB64']The most expensive item I've ever seen at a yard sale was a cello for which the seller wanted I think $1000.[/QUOTE]

That... may have been an actually really good deal. My GF mum plays cello in the Jacksonville symphony, and a few of her cellos are worth over 15 grand(!). I didn't know these things were so expensive!

bread's done
Back