Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='DeadStranger']Most expensive thing was a Wing Chun dummy for $10k. Why $10,000 you may ask, "because it belonged to Yip Man."[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? Did they have some kind of documentation that certified it?

It always amazes me that something can somehow be worth more money just because someone in particular owned it.

[quote name='SaraAB']Over here its mostly working with what people have in their pockets though as most people live off EBT which Walmart and retail stores take and yard sales don't take.[/QUOTE]
Not that it matters, but EBT money can be withdrawn from an ATM. Of course, it's a bit sad to think of someone doing that just for a yard sale.

^Yup, I know someone who did that to pay for a tattoo or Nike shoes. You would be amazed to see what people do with EBT money.

Saddens me that I have to work for my food. *Eats raman noodles

A quiet weekend for sales (and gaming stuff) but I did buy a ton of DVDs and books.

On Fridays I'm hampered by having to get my daughter off to school. I can go out for awhile as she gets ready but have to bounce back to get her out of the house. So, I hit one sale way before scheduled opening and got these:

3 for $5 . . . cherry picked from a small group.

As 9 am approached (my daughter on her way to school) I made an error and doubled back for a sale that seemingly never happened. I was late getting to one that promised "200 DVDs." I figured they'd be crap, less than 200 and overpriced. Turned out they were great, more than 200 and $1 each ($3 for sets). I got the guy to take $2 for sets because I bought about 60 overall. For $70, I got something like $500 in Amazon value. Lots of cool sci-fi and horror. I wonder what I missed by not getting there 30 min. earlier.

This meant I didn't get to the next sale for at least an hour after open. Which makes me surprised that this was still available:

Was in a box marked $20 . . . so I bought it for $15 with these games:

All but one have instructions.

Later I stopped at a crappy sale but got one woman's attention by asking for videogames. She was at her mom's but she and her husband said they had some old Nintendo and Super Nintendo stuff and lived around the corner. Of course this ended up being a 25 minute detour that I deeply regret taking :whistle2:(

They searched and came up with a pile of crap that they then wanted me to pay $150 for. There was a really ugly Genesis and 30 incredibly dirty Genny games. I cherry-picked this stuff:

I got out paying $25--almost felt obligated at that point. I just tested the sys and it wouldn't work. Oddly enough, the power adapter is the failure--the sys and diddy kong do work. The stick on the controller feels dead. The other games mean I will turn a profit but if I had it to do over again . . . I'd pass.

[quote name='schultzed']

This meant I didn't get to the next sale for at least an hour after open. Which makes me surprised that this was still available:

Was in a box marked $20 . . . so I bought it for $15 with these games:

All but one have instructions.

[/QUOTE]

Suprisingly people tend to pass on those. I picked one up CIB last year for $5 late in the day and they guy was glad to get rid of it! I also found one with "The Voice" adapter and a ton of games CIB. I now have 36 of the 49 games for this system CIB, unfortunatley it's very difficult to find this stuff.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Wow, really? Did they have some kind of documentation that certified it?[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think to ask, the woman said a friend of her husbands trained with Yip Man and he gave it to him who in turn gave it to her husband. I just thought she was crazy and quickly left.

Edit:
Forgot to mention she tried to sell me "booty movies" (her words not mine) burned to DVD'Rs.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Suprisingly people tend to pass on those. I picked one up CIB last year for $5 late in the day and they guy was glad to get rid of it! I also found one with "The Voice" adapter and a ton of games CIB. I now have 36 of the 49 games for this system CIB, unfortunatley it's very difficult to find this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot to add that the sale where I bought the DVDs also had some PC and PS1 titles. I'm willing to bet that the good Playstation games were gone immediately.

Hit a few sales this weekend, and managed to land a fun little pickup via email:

http://flic.kr/p/c7o5tQ

Paid more than I planned, but dude drove three hours to deliver it, so I couldn`t say no. An NES was included, as was a destroyed copy of Blades of Steel. If you feel the need to see either one, I'll snap a photo for you, but they weren't really Flickr worthy.

This was my big score from the weekend:

http://flic.kr/p/c7ogxj

My buddy collects Hot Wheels, so as soon as I saw them I started looking them over. The lady says, "Those are my brother's cars from when he was a kid. They're probably thirty years old."

Sure enough, most of the cars were cast in the mid 70s, and all seemed to be in one piece. I grabbed every Hot Wheels related item she had, and took them to my friend for inspection. While a few the cars were duds, most of them were relatively nice finds. I could flip 'em for a huge profit, but it looks like I'll be trading them for a boxed tabletop Frogger game. Can't complain about that!

c7o5tQ

I blame the gf for the busts I had this last weekend. She said she wanted to go, but then when the alarm went off I couldn't get her out of bed. By the time I got to the first place it was 8:30 - blargh. As I get there somebody is walking away with like 2 big boxes of stuff. Minute later I ask he has any games and he said he just sold to a guy who bought everything. Xbox, dreamcast, nintetndo, etc. I assume it was the guy who was leaving as I got there.

I heard that 4 times on Saturday. Weather it was some old nintendo games, gba games, or whatever. Each time I got back in the car she just would just sheepishly say "I'm sorry".

Aside from games I was walking up to a sale where as guy was negotiating for a bunch of old models. Bought a huge bunch of them for 10 bucks. One I recognize from people asking for a 100 on it on ebay. I don't know much about models (except I use to hate them when I built them and the only one I even finished was some master grade gundam RX-78) but I would've grabbed those easily. That earned another sorry from her since we were like 5 minutes late to each scene.

The only pick ups were:

Axis and Allies board game (used) - 50 cents
Pride & Prejudice DVD (sealed) - 1.00
both at the first sale

sealed Nascar Monopoly - 3.00
- maybe I should've passed since it doesn't seem like much. Maybe at Christmas time?

Tinker Toys - .25
- looked like an old vintage can (I sold a bunch I found in my grandmother's attic for a lot of money so we grabbed. Get it home - from 2001)

Magic (starring Anthony Hopkins) - .50
- got it because it looked interesting. Watched it and then sold it for like 9 bucks, so that was cool at least.

I'm keeping Axis and Allies and that is probably it. Maybe this weekend will be better.

[quote name='Dokstarr']

The only pick ups were:

Axis and Allies board game (used) - 50 cents[/QUOTE]

Which version of Axis and Allies do you have? Some of the older editions can be decent flips :bouncy:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Which version of Axis and Allies do you have? Some of the older editions can be decent flips :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I will have to pull it out of the bottom of my closet now and check. If it is a decent flip and worth the effort I may since I don't have many people to play games with these days. My copy of Cataan and Puerto Rice have been sealed for about 2 years and I haven't played Tenjo is probably 5 years.

[quote name='Dokstarr']She said she wanted to go, but then when the alarm went off I couldn't get her out of bed. [/QUOTE]

You gotta push on out without her and double back for her later. The start is crucial.

[quote name='schultzed']You gotta push on out without her and double back for her later. The start is crucial.[/QUOTE]

She wouldn't dare oversleep now. I kind of like having the extra set of eyes looking for stuff. If she overslept now she knows she would regret it though (joking....? maybe)

Only went to 3 sales since I was leaving town. Picked up
Conker
Scarface
Silent hill 2
XBOX- all for $1 each

[quote name='slowdive21']I agree, friends and family slow you down...

[/QUOTE]

Yeh that's why I like going alone.

Time to catch up on my finds for the year. I'll start with this past weekend (5-26-12).

Ran across a sale while on lunch Friday, picked up the following for $23.

Uploaded with
ImageShack.us[URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/img0174up.jpg/"]

Started out at 7:15 Saturday morning. One sale that opened at 8:00 advertised Nintendo items, so I decided to swing by one closer to home first that opens at 7:00. I show up at the address and it's a no-show. I proceed to the sale that advertised Nintendo games and arrived 20 minutes early. Apparently I should have been 22 minutes early. As soon as I pull up, I see a guy in his mid 40's starting to make a stack of cartriges. fuck. I walk up there and start looking at the DVDs near the games and the guy takes a defensive stance to block me away from the game area. There are a few NES, a few SNES and a ton of N64. He then refers to the lady running the sale by name asking how much for all of them. I'm guessing they know eachother from resaling. The lady helping with the sale asks why they are so cheap....I look over and see price tags of .25 each. FUUUUUU...... At this point I'm getting pissed that I got beat out on a nice deal by minutes, especially since I wasted time on the no-show. There was a SNES and N64 consoles for $5 each, but I was too pissed to mess with it. As I was leaving I heard the total of $7.50 for the games. fuck.

I go to the next sale I had noted and it also was a no-show. The next sale was actually the one I went to the previous day. Grabbed these for $12. More of an angry impulse buy.
[URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/img0173qa.jpg/"]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

$2 at a random sale with no other game related items. Sealed!

Went to a sale about 10 miles outside of town that advertised GameCube games. They told me the GC games went with the system but they couldn't find the cords. They had set the system and games to the side and were not going to sell them. Told them I would buy it without the cords. Everything in the picture for $33. I was happy to finally get Zelda Collectors Edition and RPG Maker.

Last sale of the day: Pac-Man lunchbox $2 and Battletoads/Double Dragon $4. Complete!

I'll list my previous week's finds soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a tag sale that advertised Xbox 360 games and guides, ended up spending $91.50. See spoiler for pics.

Guides:

Dead Space $2
Mass Effect $2
Mass Effect 2 $2
The Last Remnant $2
Metal Gear Solid 4 $3
Fable $2
Uncharted 2 $2
Infinite Undiscovery $2
Dungeons & Dragons Heroes $1
Star Wars The Force Unleashed $2
Shenmue $1
Borderlands $3
God of War Collection $2

Darksiders comic $1.50
Mass Effect poster $.50
Soul Caliber Link cel art $3
Star Wars DVD Trilogy $10
Dragonlance movie $3

XBOX Fatal Frame $3
XBOX Star Wars KOTOR $3
XBOX Star Wars Battlefront 2 $3
XBOX Shenmue 2 $2
XBOX Doom 3 $2
XBOX Silent Hill 2 $2
XBOX Dungeons & Dragons Heroes $3
XBOX 360 Viva Pinata $4
PC Morrowind GOTY $3
PC American Mcgee's Alice $3
PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $3
Yoga DVD $3
Fallout 3 Making of DVD $2
Fallout 3 Artbook $2
Fallout 3 Preorder soundtrack $1
3 PS1 controllers $3
PS2 controller $1.50
Xbox green controller $3
Spanish book (for mom) $1

Discs range from good/excellent, and all games have their manuals. All the guides seem to be in pretty good shape. They had a ton of games and guides left, but I'm not real familiar with which guides are valuable. I'll probably go back tomorrow.

Hit up five today. Only game stuff I saw was at one and they had three or four PSOne demo discs, a shovelware PC game and a Nintendo Gamecube zip up disc holder. Passed on all of it. I did get my sole pickup there, though, Taken on DVD for 50 cents. I'd just mentioned to a friend on Monday or Tuesday that I needed to see that movie.

Well browsed a few sales today. My sole pick ups were some DVD's ;)
..well and a breathalyzer o.0
Firefly complete, Dune colectors set, and children of dune.
all (including the breathalyzer) $8

2012-06-01_10-10-16_203.jpg

Well the other day i picked up some NES games at my pawn shop. heres what i got for $25

2012-05-29_13-57-41_488.jpg

Well after hitting the sales, thought id go back and have a second look.
I ended up asking what they'd take for the box of what i didnt buy before.
They took $25 for 35 games.

2012-06-01_11-06-51_347.jpg

Then, stopped at the random ethnic dollar store. got a harry potter TCG
from '02 for $1 (2 player starter pack) I couldnt stop myself 0.o
could you resist? 10yo sealed TCG for a buck >_<

2012-06-01_11-07-29_235.jpg

edit - after checking ebay, saw they sell for about $9 - $15 + $5 s/h
Just went back and bought the other 5 sets lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always make a point to email the local yard ads in case anyone has video game for sale (makes the day easier to plan). Received a reply a few miles from my house, and the woman advertising the lot invited me over to take a look early. Here's what I picked up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/7316585430/

Lots of boxed goodness. Sadly, very few games, but everything is in pristine condition. Especially excited about the boxed Superman 64, for some unknown reason. Now have three boxed Genesis systems, so time to start flipping.

Now if I could only figure out how to embed my photos in my posts, I'd be all set...

[quote name='ChuckT']
Now if I could only figure out how to embed my photos in my posts, I'd be all set...[/QUOTE]

Try using www.Imageshack.us
Once you upload your image you will have several choices of links including one for forums. Copy. Paste. and maybe even include spoiler tags for those still running 56k. :roll:

[quote name='ChuckT']
Now if I could only figure out how to embed my photos in my posts, I'd be all set...[/QUOTE]

with Flickr copy and paste the BBCode under the "Share" drop down menu above the photo.

I'm on vacation this week so I was looking forward to some Friday sales for once. Unfortunatly mother nature had other ideas. Rain and 50 degree weather are not ideal for sales. A small city 20 miles away is having a festival, so there were a few to check out.

Found Banjo-Tooie CIB with guide for $10. Was about to pass but got it anyway since it was complete and in nice shape. The N64 controller is CIB and basically new, paid $5. She threw in the off brand rumble pack for free. She also had Banjo-Kazooie CIB for $10 without guide and a Star-Wars N64 console CIB for $40. Passed on those.

Found this Cinnamon GameBoy Advance SP for $5. The lady said her son had put it out less than five minutes ago. Everything works nicely and charges no problem. The Simpsons Road Rage sucks.

A bunch of old dusty cartridges in the corner of a garage $1. I love mystery Genny carts! (9 out of 10 times they are Madden) Also the Power Joy PJ-008 84 in 1, too bad I don't have a Famicom.

Star-Wars plug in Millennium Falcon $1.50, Ms. Pac-Man wireless plug n' play $3. The Star-Wars game is as fun to play as you would expect.

Non-gaming BS:
Obsessed with Star-Wars $4, includes questions from the movies through the expanded universe. Star-Wars The Ultimate Visual Guide $2. The visual guide is fucking awesome!

Hot Wheels Service Center foldaway garage $5. I had one of these when I was a kid and it was one of my favorite toys so I had to have it. Other than the stickers falling off due to age it is clean and in great shape. Now that I have it home I don't know what to do with it. Guess that type of stuff is best left as a memory.

Oh man, I used to love that Hot Wheels Service Center. I wish I could find one for that price. My son loves cars right now (anything with wheels, really) and I think he would really get a kick out of that. He's outgrowing a lot of his annoying musical crap and I think he's ready to start getting more "big boy" toys.

I scored today! All this stuff was mixed in with some $1 DVDs. $10 for all.

PS2
Bard's Tale
Unlimited Saga
Zone of Enders w/ MGS2 Demo
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Aeon Flux
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Midnight Club 3

DS

Ridge Racer DS

Heading home after lunch with my grandmother, and see a neighbor cleaning up after a sale, she puts a large plastic box out beside the trash can. Inside there was a Dreamcast, 4 controllers, Quake 3, MLB 2k1, Tony Hawk, Dave Mirra, Sega VMUs, all the hookups, and the thing works pretty well. Very nice for free.

Great, now another one of those damn things to unload.

Got a VERY late start this morning, thanks to my daughter keeping us up very late last night. I did manage a few keeper finds, amongst a slew of resellable stuff:

NIB Wacom Graphire 4x5 tablet +mouse for $5
Futurama Seasons 2-4 for $4 each
Taiko Drum Master, complete in box for $5
Cyclops and The Phoenix Might Muggs, loose, for .50 each.

Lake Tapps sale was kinda of a bust. Lots of overpriced xboxs and rockband stuff. I passed on a broken 360 for free and a Asus Transformer for $350. Saw a few $5 360 games Crackdown 2, Halo Odst, Crysis 2 but a 10 yr snatched them all. I did snag a a small like new philliPS SVD player for $4 and a copy of SW Battlefront 2 for ps2 for $5.

[quote name='sp00ge']
Taiko Drum Master, complete in box for $5
[/QUOTE]

I just saw one of these the other day for $15 CIB, but I couldn't pull the trigger. $5 is a steal!

Picked up the yellow Pokemon Pikachu for 25 cents and a copy of unreal tournament for the XBox for $1.

Non gaming find would be a forgotten realms D&D book for a quarter.

Eh... alright day today. Should make around 60 bucks.

$2 for a Gameboy Advance original model.
$5 for a PS2 slim missing cables
$5 for N64 system with Expansion Pack

I forgot to mention that I also found a real pinball machine today, if I had space to put it, I would have bought it instantly. Its a rare find even though I didn't buy it. The machine was Sinbad and it was at a church rummage sale, it was $200 but there was a sign on it that said needed repair. I took pictures of it and the machine sold about 5 min after I took the pictures.

Another find for me!

Went to eat some Chinese food. Church nearby was having a rummage sale earlier, and people were cleaning up. Lady was carrying a box of stuff to the dumpster. She said I could have whatever, but it would be cool if I made a donation to the children's clothing fund (I think) and helped lug stuff to the garbage.

Had a 5 and a 10 on me, so gave her the 10. Notable saves were: Tomb Raider Anniversary, Rogue Galaxy, and Red Dead Revolver for PS2. Some books and DVDs for the wife. I actually did toss some shovelware and a few that were probably used for surfboards in a gravel driveway along with VHS tapes, a VCR, and other 20 year old junk.

All in all, I had a pretty kickass day, not gonna be going out or trading for a while, over the past 4 weeks or so I have massacred my want list.

[quote name='schultzed']For $70, I got something like $500 in Amazon value. Lots of cool sci-fi and horror. I wonder what I missed by not getting there 30 min. earlier.[/QUOTE]

i am interested to know what you picked up that added up to about 500 in credit.

No video games to speak of this morning, but I did get a out of the box but unused Quinny Buzz stroller for $20.

THe only game-related item I found was a complete in box Game boy Game Genie for $1.

[quote name='Animal7390']i am interested to know what you picked up that added up to about 500 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Probably textbooks.

[quote name='Animal7390']i am interested to know what you picked up that added up to about 500 in credit.[/QUOTE]

I don't have time to itemize (I should've taken a pic before I sold a bunch of them).

Not $500 in credit but $500 in listing value (I don't trade in--I sell on Amazon).

They were all DVDs (a few PC games) . . . some TV series but all worth $7 or more. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007N1JC8

Sold my mint copy for $29

[quote name='schultzed']I don't have time to itemize (I should've taken a pic before I sold a bunch of them).

Not $500 in credit but $500 in listing value (I don't trade in--I sell on Amazon).

They were all DVDs (a few PC games) . . . some TV series but all worth $7 or more. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007N1JC8

Sold my mint copy for $29[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of one I picked up today for $1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...8&condition=new&qid=1338696571&sr=1-1-catcorr

I found another sealed copy last year for .50 and it sold for ~$75. Price keeps going up on this guy, for some reason, not that I'm complaining.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Oh man, I used to love that Hot Wheels Service Center. I wish I could find one for that price. My son loves cars right now (anything with wheels, really) and I think he would really get a kick out of that. He's outgrowing a lot of his annoying musical crap and I think he's ready to start getting more "big boy" toys.[/QUOTE]

If shipping wasn't a killer I would send the thing to you since I've amassed WAY too much stuff. That or if you lived near Indy we could meet. I brought this item up in conversation with my brother today. We agreed that you know you're getting old when stuff you used to play with as a kid can now be found in an antique shop!

I still need to catch up on listing my finds for the year which have been
substantial to this point. It's time to start selling or slow down on the purchases.

Didn't manage to go to too many sales today, and the ones I went to I got to late. Couldn't find anything video-game related for a decent price, but I did manage to pick up these two board games for $3 dollars.

7f58b1cead9411e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg
5673b7d0ad9511e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

From what I can tell, Battle Masters is only missing one piece and All the King's Men is complete. Does anyone regularly handle board games? I can't find a reliable source online in my quick googling.

[quote name='Montymonster']
From what I can tell, Battle Masters is only missing one piece and All the King's Men is complete. Does anyone regularly handle board games? I can't find a reliable source online in my quick googling.[/QUOTE]

Battle Masters looked pretty cool when I picked it up last year. I was going to keep it but the box and everything was just too big and a pain in the but. I did eventually end up selling it for quite a bit (like 75 I think). The miniatures themselves are worth quite a bit if they are in good shape (like not having the swords damaged, etc.).

I picked up 10 n64 games for $15; it's more of a "one that got away story" though since the family brought out a huge tub which had two controllers, a pokemon reader, boxes and manuals, and about 15-20 other games. They had stuff like Mario Kart, Mario 64, Smash Bros, Kirby 64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party, Donkey Kong 64, etc.--however just about anything of interest or value they pulled back and refused to sell.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Doom 64
Perfect Dark CIB
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 CIB

So these were pretty much the only noteworthy titles among the cast-offs I received.

[quote name='Montymonster']Does anyone regularly handle board games? I can't find a reliable source online in my quick googling.[/QUOTE]
Source for what?

Anytime I need to know anything about a board game I go to http://boardgamegeek.com/

[quote name='mguiddy']Source for what?

Anytime I need to know anything about a board game I go to http://boardgamegeek.com/[/QUOTE]

Just for more information about the games themselves. For whatever reason, that site didn't show up for me when I googled the name of the games. Great site you pointed out, thanks!

Picked up Pokemon crystal for $6, already sold for $28 on amazon. Also picked up a copy of pokemon colosseum for gamecube at $2
I passed on another pokemon crystal at a different sale for $8.. should of picked it up too I think.

Did awesome this weekend and I only went to 6 sale sat/sun. But the only thing video game related I found was an official NES power supply for $1.

A fucking frustrating weekend.

Friday was compromised by dealing with problems with my son's braces and Saturday was shot because we had to go to a distant wedding of a distant family member. If the wedding had been nearby I could've gone out . . . based on ads . . . Sat was a big day for sales :whistle2:(

Anyway this was a rare Wed. pickup. Saw a sign and decided to check it out (figured it was an old sign). There was this weirdo with a bunch of boxes. Almost didn't get out of the car but as I walked up, I saw an N64 . . .

Has a broken spot, missing TV hookup and door over memory but then again has expansion and jumper pack and 3 good controllers. Paid $3. Once again, why don't I find bundles with great games?

Friday I didn't get out early and I pushed into another town for a big subdivision where I hit 25 sales and bought only a single DVD . . . WTF. Way below my usual expectations.

I did pickup this along the way:

Wind Waker was part of a GC bundle ($28 for the sys, WW, and 2 crap titles). I convinced them to them to split it off only by offering $5. The FFT is missing the disc :whistle2:( . . . but it was free.

Also before my subdivision disaster, I found this:

As I walked up, I saw the old PS1 and a stack of games. I picked out Harvest Moon and Devil Dice and was going to pay when I saw the $5 tag on the box and the PSOne. Then I found out it was $5 for everything and gladly paid. Nice little bonus when I found a Crash Bandicoot in a demo disc sleeve.

It figures that the better sales were probably in my town and I passed on them. Later in the afternoon I found this sale that must've had a ton of cool stuff. One guy was just leaving with a couple of boxes of nifty older DD stuff . . . fuck. And I found out they had had a few hundred DVDs . . . fuck. I did buy some valuable Elf Quest books and these PC titles ($1 each):

This was at about 1 pm . . . what would I have found at 9 am???

I could be wrong but I believe iss 64 is worth something. May only be a certain version though. Still, 3 for the lot is nice.

bread's done
Back