Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

Community/Subdivision sales are REALLY hit or miss for me. Sometimes I buy absolutely nothing and hit 20 sales, and sometimes I buy something at nearly every sale.

I think community sales are filled with lots of "sure, we can set up a table, I need to get rid of old clothes" type of sales, and then a lot of times people in the community just wind up buying from each other first thing in the morning. You have to have the perfect storm of variables for a community sale to be worthwhile.

[quote name='Cmosfm'] and then a lot of times people in the community just wind up buying from each other first thing in the morning. [/QUOTE]

You are right about that. They tend to snatch everything off each other early in the mourn. I got lucky and found:
Chrono trigger
FF 2
FF 3
Secret of Mana for $2 each

at one community sale. Guy had it hidden in a box that I just happened to stumble upon. I had already bought all and ccg cards his other games. He had it hidden because someone from the community had told him they were valuable. So he was going to save them. Must have told him real early cause I got there at the open. I think he sold them to me because I had bought a bunch of his other stuff. They were his son's. That was 1yr and 1/2 ago. The community sale is every 3 months and I go everytime but haven't found anything decent since.

I went to a community sale before I had to work and picked up these NES games for fifty cents a piece. Zelda II somehow has a chipped corner... Mainly a spite pick up since I knew these shady resellers were going to set up a booth at the community sale (wah?), meaning= the guy will pick up anything remotely interesting before anyone else can walk around, while his brother sets up their booth.

[quote name='Cmosfm']So, what exactly makes these so-called resellers "shady"?[/QUOTE]

These people are at the local flea market. This one woman has a permanent video games kiosk with ridiculous overpricing, and before the doors are even open to the public, she and a few of her friends or whatever go around to all the seller tables and make lowball offers on game lots. She then takes them back to her kiosk and marks them way up. I've had her try that a few times when I sold there, so I've seen this first hand.

It's shady because because the general public has absolutely no chance at any of the deals offered by other sellers.

[quote name='sp00ge']These people are at the local flea market. This one woman has a permanent video games kiosk with ridiculous overpricing, and before the doors are even open to the public, she and a few of her friends or whatever go around to all the seller tables and make lowball offers on game lots. She then takes them back to her kiosk and marks them way up. I've had her try that a few times when I sold there, so I've seen this first hand.

It's shady because because the general public has absolutely no chance at any of the deals offered by other sellers.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if she actually sells anything. The only solace you can get here is that she has to pay rent to the flea market for her booth, if its anything like it is up here and if she is not selling anything then perhaps she is wasting money on rent for her booth.

[quote name='SaraAB']I wonder if she actually sells anything. The only solace you can get here is that she has to pay rent to the flea market for her booth, if its anything like it is up here and if she is not selling anything then perhaps she is wasting money on rent for her booth.[/QUOTE]

She's been there for a few years, so she has to be selling. Rent for the inside booth like she has is 200+/month

[quote name='sp00ge']She's been there for a few years, so she has to be selling. Rent for the inside booth like she has is 200+/month[/QUOTE]

200+ a month for damn booth?! You can get an apartment for like $400 a month and have yardsales for free!

[quote name='Cmosfm']So, what exactly makes these so-called resellers "shady"?[/QUOTE]

Basically what sp00ge said (though I don't think we are talking about the same resellers). These resellers set up at multiple community sales around me. I somehow doubt they live in all these places, that is why they are shady.

[quote name='juangrande386']200+ a month for damn booth?! You can get an apartment for like $400 a month and have yardsales for free![/QUOTE]
$400 is unrealistically cheap for an apartment in most cities. And a flea market tends to have much more foot traffic than a yard sale.

[quote name='sp00ge']These people are at the local flea market. This one woman has a permanent video games kiosk with ridiculous overpricing, and before the doors are even open to the public, she and a few of her friends or whatever go around to all the seller tables and make lowball offers on game lots. She then takes them back to her kiosk and marks them way up. I've had her try that a few times when I sold there, so I've seen this first hand.

It's shady because because the general public has absolutely no chance at any of the deals offered by other sellers.[/QUOTE]

Hah at least you don't have to deal with haitians. They'll snatch stuff up front right on front of you while you're looking at it. I'd be ashamed if I lowballed like they do. Also they all use this same line to justify their extreme lowballing, "We are sending it to haii" Which is a lie because you'll see them slling it at the flea.

If you live in a $400 apartment in a major city you would definitely have yard sales every week.

You'd want to sell off all your shit before it was ruined by the roaches and made totally worthless.

I think people are forgetting that a shady person is someone untrustworthy or of ill repute. I wouldn't say the last couple of examples reasonably convey that.

I haven't been able to hit as many sales as I'd like recently, but I had a good find up the street last weekend. A lady had placed a big box of mostly SNES games with a few NES and one N64 cart out for 10 bucks. Inside was two copies of pretty much everything (apparently she had two sons who couldn't share) including Pilotwings, Zelda LttP, Robocop, Mario World, and a few other random throwaways.

Other than that, I declare this season to be the year of the PS2, because nearly every sale I've attended had an old fat PS2 and the same group of hunting/sports games for about 50 bucks.

[quote name='FatherChesz']I haven't been able to hit as many sales as I'd like recently, but I had a good find up the street last weekend. A lady had placed a big box of mostly SNES games with a few NES and one N64 cart out for 10 bucks. Inside was two copies of pretty much everything (apparently she had two sons who couldn't share) including Pilotwings, Zelda LttP, Robocop, Mario World, and a few other random throwaways.

Other than that, I declare this season to be the year of the PS2, because nearly every sale I've attended had an old fat PS2 and the same group of hunting/sports games for about 50 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I assume some of those games only hold one save file each. Which might explain buying 2 if you had 2 kids. I mentioned this in the Best Buy thread but now we have concrete proof, some people do buy each kid a copy of their own game because they can't share and if you don't buy 2 they will fight like cat and dog over them, although its somewhat warranted in the sense of cart games that only hold one save file each. You can't realistically expect 2 kids to share one save file, a lot of GBA carts were like this and I saw many fights in game stores over who got the game and who got to play the game first.

Hi everyone, I have been losing track of what I have bought, so I am just going to start posting.

I paid $2 for this. I mainly wanted the box and I could tell it was not all GI Joe.

I need help identifying the round silver 'space station' type toy.

46e92ebe.jpg

8795889d.jpg

2168b717.jpg

Here are some additional pics. I know the brown pieces go with the 80's hotwheels track and the tank elevator and garage walls go to the gi joe base, but I am not sure about the round piece.

2f2536da.jpg

52cd35cb.jpg

3d19195d.jpg

6eaf70f2.jpg

062d37f8.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']I assume some of those games only hold one save file each. Which might explain buying 2 if you had 2 kids. I mentioned this in the Best Buy thread but now we have concrete proof, some people do buy each kid a copy of their own game because they can't share and if you don't buy 2 they will fight like cat and dog over them, although its somewhat warranted in the sense of cart games that only hold one save file each. You can't realistically expect 2 kids to share one save file, a lot of GBA carts were like this and I saw many fights in game stores over who got the game and who got to play the game first.[/QUOTE]
Some parents go even further than that. The Christmas after Gamecube came out, my sister and I each got one, along with a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Based on previous experience, my mom assumed there would be bloodshed if I got a Gamecube and my sister didn't. I think she played hers once or twice before getting rid of it...

[quote name='slowdive21']Hi everyone, I have been losing track of what I have bought, so I am just going to start posting.

I paid $2 for this. I mainly wanted the box and I could tell it was not all GI Joe.

I need help identifying the round silver 'space station' type toy.

2f2536da.jpg

52cd35cb.jpg

3d19195d.jpg

6eaf70f2.jpg

062d37f8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The "round space station piece" looks like part of the Terror Dome, but looking it over it doesn't match. Are the pegs on it the same size as for Joe figures? I have all of the vehicles/playsets from the first few years, before they got all crazy over the top sci-fi fantasy stupid in the late 80's, and I can't recall anything else that it could come from. Could it be part of the Technodrome from TMNT?

EDIT: I vaguely recall some sort of GI Joe space station/satellite base in the latter years, lemme see if I can find info on that set...couldn't find it, damn it. I thought there might have been some sort of Joe or Cobra Star Brigade base, but I found a website that has pics of all the vehicles/sets over the years and no match from what I saw. Does the piece have any sort of date stamp on it to narrow it down?

Okay most likely it's not GIJoe (sorry thought it was from the original pics), but it looks like the long plastic tube attaches to the manhole on the base plate somehow, with the 3 blade like pieces (do they have pegs sticking out from the bottom? Can't tell) attaching to the smaller circle with the three portions sticking out. Not sure if that smaller circle rests on the larger circle though. Could we get some close up shots of the stickers?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I'll have to shoot some more pics. I am 99% sure it is not GI Joe (It could be space brigade) or Star Wars. I was thinking something more obscure like Centurions or something like that. It should be an 80's era toy considering what came with it, but I am stumped.

Hit up an estate sale this morning. Few things advertised got my interest: 2000 vinyl records and old movie reels.

Ended up getting 40 records @ $0.25 each. Mostly comedy, a few soundtracks, plus some rock and country.

Also got 5 small film reels with the tins for $1 each and 2 larger film reels for $2 each. The films aren't too interesting except maybe the 100' of movie scenes. They had others like Leave it to Beaver and supposedly a few cartoons, but they weren't labeled well.

Whole pickup made my car smell of mold and emulsion... Gross. Still smell better than the house did.

Yeah, I think Shady is the wrong term to use for these people. But if someone is allowed first crack at the sellers tables before the doors even open, that's unfair. I buy stuff to sell all the time that I have no interest in though, not games, but basically anything else...doesn't mean I'm "shady".

[quote name='Cmosfm']Yeah, I think Shady is the wrong term to use for these people. But if someone is allowed first crack at the sellers tables before the doors even open, that's unfair. I buy stuff to sell all the time that I have no interest in though, not games, but basically anything else...doesn't mean I'm "shady".[/QUOTE]

Buying to resell is different from hoarding everything to resell for a higher price, at the same sale.

[quote name='slowdive21']Here are some additional pics:

d3eaed76.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Seeing your base set there reminds me of 1970s sci-fi and Gerry Anderson's attempts at live action (UFO, Space: 1999). The style looks familiar, but it's difficult to match up with any particular show.

Perhaps it's a more generic sci-fi toy?

[quote name='slowdive21']Here are some additional pics:[/QUOTE]
There are a lot of things it reminds me of, like SpaceCom stuff and the Omega Virus board game, but it's going to be hard to identify this without some sort of concrete info. Is there anything imprinted on the bottom of the toy? A name, a date, part numbers? Your box definitely came with some pieces of a Hot Wheels track and parts of a Centurions machine/weapon (possibly the Orbital Interceptor), but I'm currently stumped on the rocket launch pad.

2012-06-07152516.jpg

GBA & GBASP with Pokemon Crystal- $14
Pelican Universal Arcade Stick- $1
Nook Color- Traded my Sony Cybershot 16mp camera for it. I had bought the camera for $20 at a church sale last month so technically I now have a Nook Color for $20 XD.

[quote name='ZombieToast']There are a lot of things it reminds me of, like SpaceCom stuff and the Omega Virus board game, but it's going to be hard to identify this without some sort of concrete info. Is there anything imprinted on the bottom of the toy? A name, a date, part numbers? Your box definitely came with some pieces of a Hot Wheels track and parts of a Centurions machine/weapon (possibly the Orbital Interceptor), but I'm currently stumped on the rocket launch pad.[/QUOTE]

I will look again, but I don't see any markings or numbers or date or anything. If that is the case, it is not a Hasbo product, since they mark every mold with a serial number. I'm thinking it is a generic toy or part of a game like you suggested. My gut tells me it is a Mattel mold, but I don't see any proof yet. I will look it over in detail and get back to everyone. Thanks for trying guys!

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']Nook Color- Traded my Sony Cybershot 16mp camera for it. I had bought the camera for $20 at a church sale last month so technically I now have a Nook Color for $20 XD.[/QUOTE]

Great find. Are you going to root it? They make great tablets and there's multiple ROM options for them.

[quote name='blindinglights']Great find. Are you going to root it? They make great tablets and there's multiple ROM options for them.[/QUOTE]

Yep I have a 8gb micro sd card being shipped right now. Not sure which ROM i'm going to use. I want one that's easy to install lol.

2012-06-08112300.jpg

2012-06-08111917.jpg

IBM ThinkPad 770x with Windows XP service pack 3- $20
2 Nintendo 64 controllers- $1.50 total
Motorola Bluetooth home stereo adapter DC800 new- $1
Star Lite 4 Transition Tape Recorder made in the 1960s- $3
Sony DVD player with HDMI- $3
Airsoft Stinger R36 gun with some bullets- $5

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']Yep I have a 8gb micro sd card being shipped right now. Not sure which ROM i'm going to use. I want one that's easy to install lol.[/QUOTE]

There's the ability to keep the B&N software intact so you can use their book store, but most things are available on the Kindle app, so you might want to think about using one of the full blown replacements.

[quote name='DeadStranger']Ok so I don't know much about toys, does anyone know if these are worth anything?
5L75Ka5U03K53I43L6c68c01aa19a7faf1879.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks like 11 vintage Star Wars figures, a couple titanium ships, and some mini unleashed. Probably get $3-$5 on most if they don't have any accessories.

What did you pay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit up one yard sale today. Picked up a fairly old and mediocre fishing rod for $1 (Wrangler rod with a Ted Williams 230 spincast reel sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. The reel needs a little work, hopefully just the line replaced.) I also picked up a 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles" patch for $1 too (it's missing the Airborne banner part). My sister got a 82nd Airborne patch.

No video games. Only other thing of note was a tripod style projection screen. Looked in really good shape for $5, but I don't really have a use for one (and if I do ever get one I want a wall mount) plus, I was on foot and didn't feel like lugging the thing home a mile.

[quote name='commandercody83']Looks like 11 vintage Star Wars figures, a couple titanium ships, and some mini unleashed. Probably get $3-$5 on most if they don't have any accessories.

What did you pay?[/QUOTE]

Sale is advertised for tomorrow. Wasn't sure if they were worth picking up.

Had a decent day today at a community sale. We actually got up and moving early and were able to get to them as they opened.

Ended up with:

:ds:
Mario Kart
Bomberman
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2

$10 for all 3, cart only.
______
Xbox 360 Wireless Feedback Racing Wheel. Missing power supply, but tested with the power supply from my other and works great.

They were asking $7, got it for $5

______

At another sale, I picked up :360: Elder Scrolls Oblivion for $2 and Left 4 Dead for $5

______

Also picked up :wii: Carnival Games and Pokemon Battle Revolution for $5 each

______

Other various pickups are:

:xbox: Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - $1
:ps1: Spyro: Year of the Dragon - $1
:dvd: Pokemon: The First Movie - $1
Also a minty Purple Color Gameboy with Super Mario Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country and about 5 other games all with manuals, in an odd clear plastic retail display/holder case for $15. A bit pricey, but for the condition of everything, it was worth it.

[quote name='commandercody83']Looks like 11 vintage Star Wars figures, a couple titanium ships, and some mini unleashed. Probably get $3-$5 on most if they don't have any accessories.

What did you pay?[/QUOTE]
I think the ships are MicroMachine Action Fleet ships, not Titanium.

[quote name='sp00ge']Also a minty Purple Color Gameboy with Super Mario Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country and about 5 other games all with manuals, in an odd clear plastic retail display/holder case for $15. A bit pricey, but for the condition of everything, it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

My sister bought an OG Gameboy two or three summers ago in one of those. It's nice for storage and displaying, but it does not look good for travel or anything.

Shit finally got my hands on some SNES games, been over a yr since I find any that weren't beat to shit. Only got 4.

Gameboy SP Blue 10 games with case including donkey Kong country gba and Yoshi island gba. I also picked up Jurassic Park Operation Genesis for PC and Sim theme park psx all for $11.50

Got a good lot of NES games today for $5. It came with a licensed Nintendo faux leather case, didn't even notice until now.

The games:

Top Gun
Darkman
Renegade
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo Bowl
Kung Fu
Bases Loaded 2
A Boy and His Blob
Operation Wolf
Rollergames

Other finds:
(PS1) Cubix Race N Robots complete at my first sale for 50 cents. Lady offered $1, I countered with 50 cents. She said to get something else with it and then gave up lol. She said she sold other games before I got there so I probably missed out but I only got 3 hours of sleep and the NES games pickup made up for it.

(PSP) Star Wars Battlefront $2 complete
There was a lot of 4 PSP games for $2 each. Half were missing the UMDs so I just cherry picked Battlefront 2.

For non game finds I got 3 micro USB cables for free :D

It was raining, so I really didn't feel like going out. I went to one sale, picked this all up for 4 bucks.
96403dc4b26411e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg
8d7eb580b26411e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

The Gameboy pocket looks fantastic, but unfortunately when I got home to test it it didn't play any games. :( It still looks nice, so I figure I might as well hold on to it.

Yes! Today and yesterday I got my yard sale mojo back after weeks of finding nothing.

eb8d16a99e673d16ced0266b2d2f6347.JPG

:ps2: Time Crisis 2 & 3 complete w/ GunCons
:ps2: Console w/ DualShock 2, memory card, network adapter, + cables

Paid $25 for these. Didn't bother taking a picture of the PS2 cause I think you all know what one looks like by this point.

b9a53659747618be96f7d278ff91d666.JPG

:pc: Hitman: Codename 47, Painkiller, Post Mortem - $2 each
Just some boxed PC games. I've been wanting to get into the Hitman series and I know the first game is PC exclusive so I'll check it out.

de7c0ea52355240fcd2a1004b5c21a62.JPG

Toy Biz Snap-Together Marvel models (Spider-Man, Venom, The Thing) - $3 each.
They're sealed. Not super valuable but a decent pickup.
Also Dragon Ball manga, 7 volumes for $.25 each. Now I simply must buy the rest.

e44c00722fd4eb70bec6cf216e522cd3.jpg

SeaGate 1TB External hard drive - $20 sealed
I was so excited to find this I had a brain fart and forgot to haggle. I've come close to paying $60+ for similar drives in the past. Patience pays off once again though.

38266abb05334a531db0b567f16e64b6.JPG

N64 black console w/ expansion pack, 5 Maddens, Goldeneye, NBA Courtside, and 1 blue controller - $10
Got that usual heart-sinking feeling when I saw most of the games were Madden (we all know that one) but seeing the expansion pack in there picked me back up. No power or video cables (sigh) but it does have a weird adapter that lets you use a NES/SNES RF switch.

:wii: Pokepark was $3 and :dvd: Seinfeld S1&2 was $2.

There was also a GBA SP charger in with this stuff.

[quote name='slowdive21']
Here are some additional pics. I know the brown pieces go with the 80's hotwheels track and the tank elevator and garage walls go to the gi joe base, but I am not sure about the round piece.

062d37f8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up but the gray piece in the upper left hand corner appears to be a 1983 GI Joe Dragonfly Helicopter Chin Turret Gun.

It's worth a couple a bucks.

bread's done
Back