Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

Ive said a million times before: if you want ebay prices then sell on ebay. Pay the fees, take photos, write descriptions, figure the shipping, and all the other work it takes. Otherwise dont sell things based on ebay prices. I swear people think ebay is some magical fairy that just automaticaly lists and sells things for you at no charge

And my rules of thumb are if I see the words "vintage" or "antique", multiple games and systems (or toys or movies or too many similar items), or really long detailed descriptions, I wont even go. Its almost always a reseller or ebay prices. I only go for the sales that just say general things like "video games". The problem is most sales around here now are the wannabe antique dealers

I think it doesnt matter if the sellers have computers or not, most of them watch crap like pawn stars and toy hunter and think "wow I can get rich off them thar nintendo tapes!"

[quote name='SaraAB'] If I saw an ad like that I would NOT go to the sale, I would note the address of the sale and write never to go to that house.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great, I try to not get mad myself; but spending my one day off with very little sleep and dealing with these idiots all morning makes me want to start strangling people.

"oh but on Ebay its selling for X amount! I'm selling it for 1/3 less!"
-_-

[quote name='crows in black'] The problem is most sales around here now are the wannabe antique dealers [/QUOTE]

I blame all these auction/pawn/crap shows on tv.

They dont realize if there are no bids, it isnt selling. Or have the know-how to click the "completed listings" box and find ones that actually sold.

Not really picture-worthy, but went to a yard sale on my lunch break today and picked up the following (all disc only):

$4 Super Mario Sunshine
$4 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
.75 Crash Bandicoot PS1
.75 Crash 2 PS1
.75 Sheep PS1
.75 Spyro: Year of the Dragon PS1
.75 PS2 Online Startup disc

[quote name='my2k2zx2']They dont realize if there are no bids, it isnt selling. Or have the know-how to click the "completed listings" box and find ones that actually sold.[/QUOTE]

A few days ago I saw a guy selling on CL a He-Man Castle Grayskull loose (worth about 20 dollars max if its 100% complete, only worth a few bucks if incomplete) and he wanted $250 for it! His explanation was "they are going for $500 on ebay". I emailed him and said "for the price you are asking, you would have to have the playset mint in the box, never opened or assembled, a loose one isn't worth anywhere near that" and he responded with "well the one I saw for sale on ebay was still sealed in the box.....mine isn't in the box or complete though that is why I only want $250"

Even years after the who debacle with Michael Jackson items selling for stupid prices after his death, I STILL see people trying to sell Thriller on vinyl for $50-$100...at YARD SALES!

To quote AVGN..." what were they THINKING?!"

Jusf hit the motherload after about 5 years of yard sales. Bout 150 psx/ps2 rpgs, all complete. Grandia, Dragoon...have to work today but will post some good pics tonight.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Jusf hit the motherload after about 5 years of yard sales. Bout 150 psx/ps2 rpgs, all complete. Grandia, Dragoon...have to work today but will post some good pics tonight.[/QUOTE]

Wow, how much all up?

Town near me had its town wide garage sale today. 50+ sales all bunched up in a small area. Only hit about 10 and then had to leave because I'm meeting a guy about a car. I know the car is more important but god does it pain me to leave probably 40 sales unturned XD

Did find a GameCube with a game boy player though which I'll probably flip on eBay to try and offset the price of the car :/ ill be 20 bucks less in debt XD

Picked up a Dreamcast today with 1 controller and all the cables, paid $30 for it. Not a great deal by any means to you guys, but for me it's good because I've been wanting one for the past couple years now and it's literally the first I've seen in any sales, Craigslist or whatever, so I just jumped on it.

First post in the yard sales thread! Woo!

Anyway, I had a damn good morning for Classic games - nothing worth selling but definitely a nice boost to my collection, that's for sure!

------GameBoy------
Donkey Kong Land

--------NES---------
Pro Wrestling
Stake or Die
Super Mario Bros
Super Glove Ball
Solar Jetman
Adventures in the Magical Kingdom
Rad Racer
Legendary Wings
Rad Racer 2
Tennis
Arch Rivals
Super Team Games
Bad Dudes
Operation Wolf
Fester's Quest
Xevious
Rush'n Attack
Elevator Action
RoboCop
To The Earth
MIG 29 Soviet Fighter
Dino Riki
Nintendo Power Super Mario Bros 3 Strategy Guide :bouncy:

-------N64--------
F-Zero X
Command and Conquer
Re-Volt
A Bug's Life
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Tarzan
Army Men Sarge's Heroes
Madden 99
Madden Football
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Aerofighters Assault

-----Super NES-----
Super Scope 6 SNES

----Miscellaneous----
Blue Dreamcast VMU
Red PS2 8MB Memory Card

All this was just $35 at a total of 5 garage sales. Not bad if I do say so myself. Sure, not all of these are gems (hell, some of them are shit) but I can't complain - I feel like I got a deal today and my collection shelf is a bit more full too.

Also picked up a new portable Mic for my laptop ($10) the Remastered Star Wars Trilogy on VHS (Han shoots first in this one, $2) and an Xbox 360 Wireless controller for $10.

went to a community yard sale it was weak at the beginning but it got better later on:

101_0424.jpg

everything in that pic for $5 each

101_0423.jpg

$5 each

101_0422.jpg

$2 each

101_0421.jpg

$1 each anyone got info on the army men collectors edition? dont see it anywhere on ebay so wondering if its rare

101_0420.jpg

$3 only got it so i could have a spare

101_0419.jpg

$5 for everything sorted thru some of it and saw a near mint card from the 50's and a shaq rookie card

101_0425.jpg

$5 for the whole thing with a bunch of holos

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Town near me had its town wide garage sale today. 50+ sales all bunched up in a small area. Only hit about 10 and then had to leave because I'm meeting a guy about a car. I know the car is more important but god does it pain me to leave probably 40 sales unturned XD

Did find a GameCube with a game boy player though which I'll probably flip on eBay to try and offset the price of the car :/ ill be 20 bucks less in debt XD[/QUOTE]

I feel you pain man. Haven't been able to go to sales for weeks because I bought a car for 3K cash last week. It's killing me inside thinking about all the great stuff I'm missing out on. >_<

At least I got a good deal on the car, but I can barely even afford gas to go to work now.

Finally hit a good one after a few sorry ones.

25 cents at a retirement community:

exodusgame.jpg

Got a bag of old GameBoy stuff for $20. GBA SP, GameBoy Color, and a crap-ton of games. Here's the best of the bunch:

pokemondn.jpg

Barely anything this week. Only finds were Just Dance Kids for $2, which will be going to gamesotp soon enough, a penny arcade book for $.50, and a nice set of computer speakers for $1.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Town near me had its town wide garage sale today. 50+ sales all bunched up in a small area. Only hit about 10 and then had to leave because I'm meeting a guy about a car. I know the car is more important but god does it pain me to leave probably 40 sales unturned XD

Did find a GameCube with a game boy player though which I'll probably flip on eBay to try and offset the price of the car :/ ill be 20 bucks less in debt XD[/QUOTE]
You should've just gone to the sales. What good is a car if you can't fill it up with second-hand junk?

Scored the following from a later middle-aged gentleman today; it was a pretty bizarre and magical event because he kept bringing boxes up out of his basement :hot:

- 1 NES Console
- 67 games
- 22 boxes
- 12 manuals
- 2 "Docking Bay 10" cases
- 2 Nintendo-branded toolbox-style storage cases
- 1 Sega Genesis and 8 games

All for $80. The games appear to be in pretty good shape, but the storage cases have some musty odor and the boxes require a bit of dusting; still, not too shabby with a little bit of elbow grease.

I haven't gone through everything, though the selection looks decent: (carts) Final Fantasy, River City Ransom, Zelda 1 & 2, Mission Cobra :hot:, (boxes) Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, some Dragon Warrior 1 paperwork that I might not have...

The best part about this was when I first checked the sale, the missus told me the guy with games was out at a flea market or something. So I went on ahead to a sale two houses down where there were these two dudes closer to my age who were talking about their "$800" CIB Action Set and how they hunt at yardsales too. At this point I check a couple of sales three blocks back and on the opposite side of the road...and finding absolutely zippo I make the critical decision to circle back to the original sale, 45 minutes later. This persistence gets me the rendezvous with Capt. Cool and I sneak out with the find under the noses of some possible competitors.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Jusf hit the motherload after about 5 years of yard sales. Bout 150 psx/ps2 rpgs, all complete. Grandia, Dragoon...have to work today but will post some good pics tonight.[/QUOTE]

I've got to see this; I've had a few good ps1 hauls but they're usually only 40-50 games tops.

A lot of people here don't have a computer either, but almost everyone has an iPhone, which I think you can use without a PC these days.

It's not the motherload but I picked up a kinect sensor with adapter, kinect adventures and kinect sports season 2 for $25. The original price on the lot was $40 but I got the price down. I would post a pic but I am using the kinect right now! I think it's safe to say I won't be seeing a kinect for a lower price than that anytime soon.

[quote name='materialz']Picked up a Dreamcast today with 1 controller and all the cables, paid $30 for it. Not a great deal by any means to you guys, but for me it's good because I've been wanting one for the past couple years now and it's literally the first I've seen in any sales, Craigslist or whatever, so I just jumped on it.[/QUOTE]

Not only is that not a great deal, it's actually a terrible one, but of you're happy with it, it's all that matters

[quote name='spmahn']Not only is that not a great deal, it's actually a terrible one, but of you're happy with it, it's all that matters[/QUOTE]

Figured, but oh well. 30 bucks isn't a huge deal and it's pretty clean and works fine.

[quote name='spmahn']Not only is that not a great deal, it's actually a terrible one, but of you're happy with it, it's all that matters[/QUOTE]

It's not terrible; I paid $35 shipped for one in nice condition and with the early release import-compatibility.

Finally a day worth posting -
Community Sale 100+ but fierce competition

Game related -

005-1.jpg

Hopefully working (charging now) $5

001-8.jpg

PS2/360 games - $5
Kirby $1
Controller $10

006-5.jpg

Everything above $21 - DSI works but no charger (which I have from one bought for $10 that does not work) Left Name/number as many empty cases (not shown of course) represented mostly DS games (great titles) that must still be found... only one of a handful of times I left my name/number... hoping this time they call.

photobucket4mj

Here is my $25 Kinect Bundle

The PC games were... drumroll.. a whopping 5 cents each at another house! I don't think I have ever found a game for 5 cents in my life! I did find NES games way back when for 10 cents each but that was many years ago.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got Pokemon Red and Pokemon Silver at a yard sale for $0.50 each. Some other good yardsale finds, but nothing else gaming. It seems like eveyone wanted to sell their systems bundled with the games at inflated prices.

I went to a Kid consignment sale this afternoon, though, and found Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Sapphire, and a bootleg Pokemon FireRed for $9.

I am getting towards the end here too but I think the end is really hot for finds because people are more desperate to get rid of their stuff and are more willing to deal if they know they will either have to sit on their stuff the whole winter or throw it away or donate it. The last 2-3 weeks have been better than the whole summer.

I almost never see Pokemon games around here, and I know people play them, I think they get traded in to Gamestop though because their value is high there, or used to be when they still took GBA games.

Funny... I have literally not found one item the last two weeks. Kind of sucks. Thrifts have been my friends. I know part of that though is I've had to cut back my sale times because of a lack of time due to my earlier work schedule. Instead of spending 4-5 hours each Friday morning, I'm spending 1.5-2.5.

The yard sales are slowing down here too now, which I really dont understand because the weather is like 74 degrees everyday now. Im getting tons of overtime at work and am getting to the point that I just cant bring myself to get up at 5am on my day off to go look at house after house of baby clothes and a-hole resellers having their phony "yard sales" where everything is ebay prices anymore.

I think a reason for the slow down is now I am starting to see tons of these ads where people list "yard sale leftovers" and they want someone to pay a flat price for everything. They charge way too much, dont sell anything, then just give up yard sales all together because they didnt get rich like ebay said they would. I guess selling things for yard sale prices at a yard sale is just totally out of the question for them

I guess I should post it here too since I already post about it in the pick ups thread.

I found this at a garage sale for $10. The old lady said she couldn't get it to turn on anymore, so I took the risk and bought it since I could probably trade it in somewhere, and still make a profit even if it didn't work, but turns out everything is working perfectly, so now I has iPad. ^__^

photozpc.jpg

all of this for $20

101_0426.jpg

if i was to sell the psp and all the games/movies except ff as a bundle what would i be able to get for it(psp has a cracked screen but has everything in the box)

[quote name='nba0203']all of this for $20

101_0426.jpg

if i was to sell the psp and all the games/movies except ff as a bundle what would i be able to get for it(psp has a cracked screen but has everything in the box)[/QUOTE]

Looks like the system is cracked too, not just the screen.

[quote name='Squarehard']I guess I should post it here too since I already post about it in the pick ups thread.

I found this at a garage sale for $10. The old lady said she couldn't get it to turn on anymore, so I took the risk and bought it since I could probably trade it in somewhere, and still make a profit even if it didn't work, but turns out everything is working perfectly, so now I has iPad. ^__^ [/quote]

Nice ipads are still like 200 to be the first one, I personally would have gotten rid of it but then again I hate apple products after we had to use apple laptops in highschool >.>

[quote name='nba0203']all of this for $20

101_0426.jpg

if i was to sell the psp and all the games/movies except ff as a bundle what would i be able to get for it(psp has a cracked screen but has everything in the box)[/QUOTE]

cracked screen old model psp bundle? ask $20 and be happy...
and I would just keep the box for hopefully finding a non cracked one in the future...
just my 2 cents, hope you get more

[quote name='Kovorkian']Nice ipads are still like 200 to be the first one, I personally would have gotten rid of it but then again I hate apple products after we had to use apple laptops in highschool >.>[/QUOTE]

It's the iPad 2, so I lucked out on that too. But yeah, I wasn't really intending on keeping it since I was just going to flip it broken, but I needed a tablet anyways, so what the hell. :p

I know you can trade iPods for 10% off a new iPod at the apple store, if someone finds a $5 or less iPod then that could make for decent money off a new one depending on what you were buying. This works for broken iPods too and I think it can be any version of iPod.

Also if they are still under warranty apple will replace for free so always check that out too.

I got 2 really beat up GBA SP's today for $5 and 3 mediocre games but one of them is looking pretty good and is in working condition so I think I can still sell it for a bit. The other I will send to my friend to use as parts for one I sent him a while ago.

:whee:

Alright, so let me preface by saying this sale had advertised 'Over 200+ PS2 Games, some sports games!'. Judging by that, I wasn't expecting much, but I haven't had much luck (or time) this year and figured I'd start where at least they had advertised games. This location was about 20 minutes from my house and I also had to work all day, so I showed up at about 7:00 am to a 7:00 am sale since I didn't have much time.

Immediately, the lady is very friendly and says that she didn't have hardly anyone show up for Friday's sale (this place was a little off the beaten path) so today was her 'give-a-way day'. DVDs were 3 for $1. Things were looking up.

I navigate to the PS2 games and see some good rpgs in there and ask her how much the games are. She's like 'Oh, how about $1 each?'. Then mentions there is whole bout 30 gallon tupperware full of other PS2 games over here (which were really PS1 games). I navigate over and notice right off the bat there is FF Anthology and Tactics sitting on top.

So adrenaline kicks in - I say, how much for the whole lot? Trying to appear not too anxious, I say I collect games and I noticed a few in there that I didn't have.

She proposes $75. I counter and say it was a little more than I wanted to pay. She asks what would you give. I say $40. She says $50 and we deal.

However, one BIG caveat, she won't let me keep the tupperwares with them. So I'm making trips to my car offloading these games in the trunk, with care, and am trying not to look like a kid on his first date. I'm jumping up and down inside from what I'm seeing.

So all in all $50 bucks for the following lot. However last night, when going through them, I realize most don't have their instruction booklets! :cold: Talk about terrible. I drove over there after church today and left a note in her door to please call me if she comes across them, I'd be happy to pick them up.

I've never uploaded pics before and can't figure it out. See link for the flickr account to see.

photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87288150@N03/

Best find of my life. Hopefully she calls and knows where her son stashed the instruction/art books before he moved out. Who does that crap!!!??

She just called and said she would leave the manuals on the porch for me tomorrow!

I figured I would have a few nonbelievers due to the scale, but I would hope my 5 year tenure here, and being a fairly active member would garner me some goodwill. I dont know how else to prove it other than posting another pic of all the manuals Ill get tomorrow.

That is literally the find of a lifetime... man. I really hope I find that someday. Especially since the deal I had for a $50.00 Suikoden 2 on Craigslist last month fell through. My most wanted game by a mile...

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']I figured I would have a few nonbelievers due to the scale, but I would hope my 5 year tenure here, and being a fairly active member would garner me some goodwill. I dont know how else to prove it other than posting another pic of all the manuals Ill get tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you simply for the fact that I'm a jealous douche.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']:whee:

Alright, so let me preface by saying this sale had advertised 'Over 200+ PS2 Games, some sports games!'. Judging by that, I wasn't expecting much, but I haven't had much luck (or time) this year and figured I'd start where at least they had advertised games. This location was about 20 minutes from my house and I also had to work all day, so I showed up at about 7:00 am to a 7:00 am sale since I didn't have much time.

Immediately, the lady is very friendly and says that she didn't have hardly anyone show up for Friday's sale (this place was a little off the beaten path) so today was her 'give-a-way day'. DVDs were 3 for $1. Things were looking up.

I navigate to the PS2 games and see some good rpgs in there and ask her how much the games are. She's like 'Oh, how about $1 each?'. Then mentions there is whole bout 30 gallon tupperware full of other PS2 games over here (which were really PS1 games). I navigate over and notice right off the bat there is FF Anthology and Tactics sitting on top.

So adrenaline kicks in - I say, how much for the whole lot? Trying to appear not too anxious, I say I collect games and I noticed a few in there that I didn't have.

She proposes $75. I counter and say it was a little more than I wanted to pay. She asks what would you give. I say $40. She says $50 and we deal.

However, one BIG caveat, she won't let me keep the tupperwares with them. So I'm making trips to my car offloading these games in the trunk, with care, and am trying not to look like a kid on his first date. I'm jumping up and down inside from what I'm seeing.

So all in all $50 bucks for the following lot. However last night, when going through them, I realize most don't have their instruction booklets! :cold: Talk about terrible. I drove over there after church today and left a note in her door to please call me if she comes across them, I'd be happy to pick them up.

I've never uploaded pics before and can't figure it out. See link for the flickr account to see.

photostream

Best find of my life. Hopefully she calls and knows where her son stashed the instruction/art books before he moved out. Who does that crap!!!??[/QUOTE]

Insanity. I don't see many PS1 games around here anymore, I am guessing people are saving them to play on their PS3 systems. RPG's are a needle in a haystack. You have to wonder who the original owner of this stuff was, they must have spent hundreds or thousands on it all! I don't know about anyone else but I always wonder who the original owner is of the stuff we buy, because its not always the person who is selling the stuff. This is probably find of the year for the yardsale thread.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']:whee:

photostream

Best find of my life. Hopefully she calls and knows where her son stashed the instruction/art books before he moved out. Who does that crap!!!??[/QUOTE]

My god, that has to be the greatest video game garage sale find I've ever seen. I couldn't even imagine how much you could make off that find if you pieced it out one by one. And as some other people have said on here, I also have been looking for Suikoden 2, as it's my favorite rpg of all time. Great deal, even if you paid what they wanted you to, bravo....

bread's done
Back