Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='lordopus99']Boise St is in great position to bust the system this year. Their victory over Georgia was pretty convincing + they play Nevada in couple weeks.

The top teams this year have tough games away from home.[/QUOTE]

Let's be honest, Georgia should have never been ranked to begin with. This Georgia hype was so blatantly and obviously manufactured by the sports media to make this game seem like a big time match up for the opening weekend. Think about it, they had a TERRIBLE season last year and they come back this year after losing their absolute best player and they're somehow a top 25 team? They're so thin at some positions they were using corners on offense. Come on.

Nevada will hardly help their SOS seeing as Nevada's big star is also gone. I don't think Nevada is going to pull out another 13-1 season this year.

Yes the top teams do have tough games, but the poll voters are simply not going to put an undefeated Non-AQ over a 1-loss (or possibly 2-loss) champion from the SEC or Big 10 or Big 12. The ACC and Big East have weaker reputations so Boise could possibly slip by a champion from one of those leagues if they carry a loss or two. It's not fair, but that's pretty much how it is until something motivates people to FINALLY go for a playoff system.

IMO, the thing Boise should hope for this year would be for the major AQ conferences to all produce undefeated champions. I'm fairly sure that would create a shit storm and force the playoff issue.

Can you imagine if Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Stanford, Alabama or LSU, and Virginia Tech (FSU would have to lose to Oklahoma) all ended up undefeated going into bowl season?

The only problem is that going undefeated is a difficult task, so you'll likely see a 1 or 2 loss SEC champion versus an undefeated Pac12/Big10/Big12 champ while undefeated Boise gets to play a one loss team in the Fiesta(?) bowl.

I'll be hoping for the 4+ undefeated teams scenario though. I really want to see a playoff.

[quote name='blindinglights']Let's be honest, Georgia should have never been ranked to begin with. This Georgia hype was so blatantly and obviously manufactured by the sports media to make this game seem like a big time match up for the opening weekend. Think about it, they had a TERRIBLE season last year and they come back this year after losing their absolute best player and they're somehow a top 25 team? They're so thin at some positions they were using corners on offense. Come on.[/quote]
They were #5 in recuiting and Aaron Murray is now no longer a freshie. This team has better pieces than it did last year.

Losing to Boise St shouldn't write this team as a fraud. Boise St is the same team that beat VT and Oregon; a reminder VT has led ACC for a couple years and Oregon who made the championship last year. This same team was one of the top defenses and a solid offense who returned tons of impact players...

Nevada will hardly help their SOS seeing as Nevada's big star is also gone. I don't think Nevada is going to pull out another 13-1 season this year.
To be seen. A QB gone doesn't mean they don't have another in the wing. @Oregon next week will show much. Fact is even with a loss to them and potential @Boise St, Nevada should run the rest; only Hawaii could put up a fight (who they have at home) but they guys disappoint every year. So at worst they are a 2 loss team.

[quote name='lordopus99']They were #5 in recuiting and Aaron Murray is now no longer a freshie. This team has better pieces than it did last year.

Losing to Boise St shouldn't write this team as a fraud. Boise St is the same team that beat VT and Oregon; a reminder VT has led ACC for a couple years and Oregon who made the championship last year. This same team was one of the top defenses and a solid offense who returned tons of impact players...

To be seen. A QB gone doesn't mean they don't have another in the wing. @Oregon next week will show much. Fact is even with a loss to them and potential @Boise St, Nevada should run the rest; only Hawaii could put up a fight (who they have at home) but they guys disappoint every year. So at worst they are a 2 loss team.[/QUOTE]

I didn't write Georgia off as a fraud because Boise beat them, I believed they were a fraud before the season even began. They've had tons of hype and little results for a few years in a row now. Recruiting stats are nice but they don't equal a good product on the field. There are plenty of teams that get in that top 20 recruiting list every year that still manage to suck.

I think you believe that I'm anti-Boise and I'm not. I just don't think they will ever get a chance in the current system. There's simply not enough opportunity for them to get into the conversation. Their only hope really is for the bigger schools to stumble quite a few times. I know they schedule a big school or two every year and they pull out the win, but I also understand the AQ snobs point of view to a certain extent.

If you look at their wins against Oregon, Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Georgia the scores were: 19-8, 33-30, 37-24, 35-21 respectively. They are definitely a good football team, but they aren't hanging 51-0 on VT or UGA like they do to Fresno State. That Fresno victory was last year when Fresno went 8-5. The Oregon State victory was also last year and they went 5-7. Why are they only beating Oregon State by 2 scores? When they play teams that can recruit better talent, their margin of victory decreases dramatically. The question is: could Boise win every week playing higher caliber talent? Does that 33-30 score swing in their favor every time?

We really don't know because they are just in a bad spot. They really need to get into a better conference so they can really show what they're capable of. They tried to make some forward progress with the MWC, but Utah and TCU are gone or soon to be and they're right back in a crappy place.

I personally think they would still be great if they played in say the Pac-12 or Big 12, but I really don't think they'd go undefeated or one loss year in and year out like they have been recently. I think Peterson would have them competing, but they'd probably turn into a 9-3 or 10-2 team for the regular season.

I really wish we had either a plus one game or an 8 team playoff. I would like to see more teams get a shot at playing into the National Championship. Whether it be Boise, some other left out undefeated team (like TCU, or even Auburn years ago), or a team that had one loss [and isn't from the SEC] but is playing harder and faster than everyone else at the end of the year.

Weird opener for WVU--lighting led to a 3 hour+ delay in the third quarter, they started back for a bit and then ended up ending the game early in the 4th due to more lightning.

Anyway, 34-13 win for WVU over Marshall. Was happy to see LSU beat Oregon, hoping they can come into Morgantown unbeaten in a few week.

On the expansion front, looks like the Pac 16 is in discussion again.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...s-texas-longhorns-being-discussed-source-says

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/s...2s-expansion-outlook.html?_r=2&ref=petethamel

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/31722896

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Weird opener for WVU--lighting led to a 3 hour+ delay in the third quarter, they started back for a bit and then ended up ending the game early in the 4th due to more lightning.

Anyway, 34-13 win for WVU over Marshall. Was happy to see LSU beat Oregon, hoping they can come into Morgantown unbeaten in a few week.

On the expansion front, looks like the Pac 16 is in discussion again.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...s-texas-longhorns-being-discussed-source-says[/QUOTE]

Yeah I live in Nitro, WV (unfortunately) and when the rain started coming down here I knew it was heading up to morgantown.

Week 1
Big 12: 10-0
Big East: 8-0
Big Ten: 10-2
SEC: 10-2
ACC: 8-4
PAC11: 8-4
MAC: 8-5
MWC: 5-3
Independents: 2-2
C-USA: 5-7
WAC: 1-6*
Sunbelt: 1-9

*Nevada didn't play

Some more realignment rumblings.

http://m.nypost.com/Page/Uuid/ba758498-d785-11e0-8f76-e8432eb6d237

Apparently, if the Pac 16 stuff does end up happening this time (see links in my previous post) the Big East will try to add Kansas, K-State and Missouri. No surprise as that was apparently in the works last year before the Pac 16 deal fell apart at the last minute.

Only problem I see is the ACC would likely raid the Big East if there's a move to 16 team super conferences and I'm not sure adding those 3 Big 12 left overs would help the BE survive as a major football league if they lost some of their current top programs to the ACC.

All these rumors are getting tiresome, so hopefully things shake out. A&M to the SEC should be done this week per the linked articles in my last post, and Oklahoma's President and AD said they want to make their decision in 2-3 weeks at the latest so hopefully this won't drag out for months.

[quote name='blindinglights']
If you look at their wins against Oregon, Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Georgia the scores were: 19-8, 33-30, 37-24, 35-21 respectively. They are definitely a good football team, but they aren't hanging 51-0 on VT or UGA like they do to Fresno State. That Fresno victory was last year when Fresno went 8-5. The Oregon State victory was also last year and they went 5-7. Why are they only beating Oregon State by 2 scores? When they play teams that can recruit better talent, their margin of victory decreases dramatically. The question is: could Boise win every week playing higher caliber talent? Does that 33-30 score swing in their favor every time? [/quote]
Scores don't tell the story of the games. Example: Oregon. Oregon came into this game with their highpowered running attack i.e. Masoli, Blount, and James. Reminder the year prior to game: Masoli 718 yards 10 TDs, Blount 1002 yards 17 TDs. During Boise St, Oregon ran for a total 31 yards. This same Oregon team ran 179 yards against Ohio St, 391 yards against USC, 254 yards against Stanford... you get the picture. Oregon never had a chance to win in that game. So again, the score doesn't tell the story of how that game went; let alone the other games.

I personally think they would still be great if they played in say the Pac-12 or Big 12, but I really don't think they'd go undefeated or one loss year in and year out like they have been recently. I think Peterson would have them competing, but they'd probably turn into a 9-3 or 10-2 team for the regular season.
In either of those two conferences, they would do just fine. Look. Oregon is Pac-12's best team. Boise St beat them two years in a row. Oklahoma is Big 12 9's best team and they also were down'd by Boise St in BCS era (Statue of Liberty for the WIN). This team is alot better than people give them credit for. Peterson is a great coach; as long as he is there, this team will be doing what they do.

I really wish we had either a plus one game or an 8 team playoff. I would like to see more teams get a shot at playing into the National Championship. Whether it be Boise, some other left out undefeated team (like TCU, or even Auburn years ago), or a team that had one loss [and isn't from the SEC] but is playing harder and faster than everyone else at the end of the year.
Total in agreeance that a playoff system needs to occur. Until the BCS contract runs out do I think a playoff system will be in true talks. I think you have to at least go to top 16 in order to get the winner right.

[quote name='lordopus99']Scores don't tell the story of the games. Example: Oregon. Oregon came into this game with their highpowered running attack i.e. Masoli, Blount, and James. Reminder the year prior to game: Masoli 718 yards 10 TDs, Blount 1002 yards 17 TDs. During Boise St, Oregon ran for a total 31 yards. This same Oregon team ran 179 yards against Ohio St, 391 yards against USC, 254 yards against Stanford... you get the picture. Oregon never had a chance to win in that game. So again, the score doesn't tell the story of how that game went; let alone the other games.[/QUOTE]

Scores don't tell the full story of the game, but the score still provides some information to go on.

Boise State has played and beaten 5 opponents from BCS conferences from the start of the 2008 season through the Georgia game on Saturday. Those five victories had an average margin of victory of 9.2 points, with the largest victory being 14 points (Georgia '11) and the smallest victory being 3 points (Virginia Tech '10). Since the start of the 2008 season, they have played and beaten 34 schools from Non-AQ conferences and had an average margin of victory of 31.4 points, with the largest victory being 59 (New Mexico State '10) and the smallest being 7 points (Tulsa '09 and Nevada '08).

I understand that only having 5 pieces of BCS opponent data makes it not possible to come to a definite conclusion, but I still believe those numbers should make you wonder what a Boise team that has to play the middle of the pack and top teams from another conference would produce in terms of a final record. I'm not one to scoff and say Vandy or UCLA would beat them, I fully believe that Peterson puts a good team on the field and that there are plenty of teams from each "big boy" conference that Boise would beat down. However, my concern lies in a stretch of games against better talent. Boise beats Virginia Tech by 3, but do they win each of the following four weeks when they play North Carolina, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Florida State? They beat Georgia by 14, but do they beat South Carolina, followed by Florida, followed by Tennessee, followed by Alabama? How do they fair in a four game stretch against Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin?

These examples aren't unrealistic dream team gauntlets, they're typical schedules in other conferences. Do I think Boise could play and win any one of those games? I'd be inclined to think yes, but could they play tougher opponents week in and week out? This is the line of thinking that would result in a 2-loss SEC champion jumping an undefeated Boise team, and I agree with it because I'm not impressed by Boise hanging 59 points on a New Mexico State team that goes 2-10 on the year playing low end competition. I want to see them prove themselves more than just once during a given year.

[quote name='lordopus99']In either of those two conferences, they would do just fine. Look. Oregon is Pac-12's best team. Boise St beat them two years in a row. Oklahoma is Big 12 9's best team and they also were down'd by Boise St in BCS era (Statue of Liberty for the WIN). This team is alot better than people give them credit for. Peterson is a great coach; as long as he is there, this team will be doing what they do.[/QUOTE]

I agree they can hang with anyone, and I really think that Peterson's coaching and ability to utilize the talent he gets is remarkable, but I refer back to my previous concerns. Is beating 12 cupcakes and one team that is the best from a conference that maintains a higher level of competition enough to prove they deserve to be in the race for the championship?

This is why I really want the playoff system. I want to see the top teams separate themselves and then play each other to narrow it down to the two teams that go head to head for the championship. It provides what I believe is a better chance for a true champion to be determined. I know we'll still end up with some teams upset they were left out of the playoff, but the likelihood that we would see an undefeated or one-loss get shafted would decrease.

[quote name='lordopus99']Total in agreeance that a playoff system needs to occur. Until the BCS contract runs out do I think a playoff system will be in true talks. I think you have to at least go to top 16 in order to get the winner right.[/QUOTE]

I think 16 might be a stretch. The top 10 with some sort of bye system is probably the most I could see. If you do top 16 you will start getting 9-3 teams that could be the 4th best team in their conference.

[quote name='blindinglights']
I think 16 might be a stretch. The top 10 with some sort of bye system is probably the most I could see. If you do top 16 you will start getting 9-3 teams that could be the 4th best team in their conference.[/QUOTE]
16 gives you a good selection of teams. If 16 weren't there, think Alabama would have been left out last year. This 3 loss team throttled #7 Michigan St , a 1 loss imposter. This is why you go to 16.

[quote name='lordopus99']16 gives you a good selection of teams. If 16 weren't there, think Alabama would have been left out last year. This 3 loss team throttled #7 Michigan St , a 1 loss imposter. This is why you go to 16.[/QUOTE]
Plus, if the FCS can do it (now up to 20), then the FBS can too.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_thinking_big_ou8JdQKJUhWEeCUtGv7dNP

Another article on the Big East's hopes to go to 12 football teams (and 20 Basketball) if the Big 12 collapses.

I still don't see it--if that stuff all happens (Big 12 dying, SEC going to 14 or 16, Pac 12 going to 14 or 16) I just don't see the Big East not losing any current teams to the SEC, Big 10 or ACC as the major conferences all try to keep pace.

Would teams like Missouri want to go to a new big east if teams like Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse etc. had moved elsewhere? You'd pretty much have a new Conference USA at that point. Time will tell I guess, all a matter of what happens in the Big 12 in the next few weeks.

:lol:

http://www.baylor.edu/nation/index.php?id=84714

Baylor is clearly worried about the impending collapse of the Big 12.

Don't Mess With Texas Football

Nothing is more beloved in Texas than Texas football. Entire towns travel to neighboring communities on Friday nights as rivals meet under the Friday night lights; Saturday mornings find families rushing out to pee wee football games and spending their afternoons with friends tailgating or watching some of the most historic and storied football rivalries in the nation; Sunday afternoons see families gathered in living rooms across the state to cheer on the Cowboys or the Texans.

Football in Texas is more than a passing interest, it is a part of the fabric of this great state.

-Will Texans stand by and watch hundred-year-old rivalries be cast aside as the state's largest universities align themselves with other states across the country?

-Will Texans sit and watch as Texas' flagship universities pledge their loyalties to other states?

-Will Texans stand by as our most promising student athletes are lured out of Texas by new rivals?

-Will Texans watch as our most precious resources—the great minds of the next generation—are exported to new conference institutions?

Texans must stand up and call the leadership of the University of Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to clear-headed thinking about the state's future. Texas' flagship institutions of higher learning are the guardians of the state's future—their loyalties must first be to Texas and to her citizens. Ask these leaders to take a stand for Texas and to stop this madness that will lead to the dissolution of the Big 12 and the end of an era for Texas.

151275.png

Funny, I bet they had no problems "messing with Texas football" when they went to the Big 12 and left SMU, Rice, TCU etc. behind.....

[quote name='craven_fiend']Texas should just make an entire conference...based in the state![/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I was thinking. Call it the Texas Athletic Conference or something.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...es/09/06/realignment/index.html#ixzz1XCfCKLpA

Some more expansion rumblings. He says the SEC should know by tonight whether they have the 9 votes needed to extend an invite to A&M (apparently there's some meeting today) and if they do A&M would except by Wednesday or Thursday which would get the dominoes falling. And that's believed to be a formality as the consensus is A&M wouldn't have specified their intent to withdraw from the big 12 next summer if they hadn't been told they had the 9 needed votes.

Rest of the article is just speculation on what will happen next.

Edit: Another article with the same report of SEC meeting tonight, A&M official acceptance to SEC likely announced tomorrow: http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31772388

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31786829

Texas A&M to announce SEC move Wednesday

Posted by Tom Fornelli

It looks as though all the rumor and speculation is due to come to an end shortly. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas A&M is expected to announce that it's leaving the Big 12 for the SEC on Wednesday.

School officials spent Tuesday preparing for a news conference at Kyle Field to celebrate the move, pending a favorable vote from SEC presidents to extend an invitation. The SEC presidents met Tuesday night and approved an invitation to A&M, said sources with knowledge of the situation, but the SEC made no formal announcement.

A&M officials have indicated they would accept an SEC invitation. The move would be effective for the 2012 football season.

While this news doesn't come as a surprise, the fact that it is reportedly becoming official tomorrow means all gloves are off, and the Big 12's future is in serious peril. While the conference has said that it would like to stick together, and the remaining schools have expressed the same desire, their actions seem to say otherwise.

Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have come out recently and basically let the Pac-12 know that they're willing to jump ship without saying it directly, and odds are that Texas and Texas Tech will be soon to follow if that happens. Making matters worse for the Big 12, there are also rumors circulating that the fourteenth school that the SEC will look to add will be Missouri.

The first domino is set to officially fall on Wednesday and though we don't know for sure where the rest will land, odds are it won't be in the Big 12.

I'd still take that with a grain of salt as it hasn't hit the mainstream media yet and one of the A&M board owners is saying there's still a hurdle to overcome. Seems the vote/invite bit is legit as that's all over media people's twitter account but that the anniuncement may not be Wed. As their may still be some things to iron out first.

So per the A&M recruiting board owners, the hurdle is that Baylor is threatening to sue the SEC and it's commissioner--despite the fact that the Big 12 and Texas A&M already mutually agreed not to sue each other.

So A&M got voted into the SEC contingent on getting an agreement from Baylor not to sue. That's believed to be a minor hurdle and they could still announce the move today or tomorrow.

Again, take it with grain of salt. But these guys have been pretty spot on--being the owners and writers for the recruiting sites they do have sources and aren't just random bloggers etc.

Anyway, here's an article the Texas rivals recruiting site owner put up about it.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1261679
Chip Brown

Orangebloods.com Columnist

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres
Hold everything folks.

The Southeastern Conference presidents met Tuesday night and voted to admit Texas A&M. But the vote came with a stipulation that still must be worked out.

The SEC presidents voted to admit Texas A&M as the 13th member of that league so long as each individual member of the Big 12 waives its right to litigation against the SEC.

And it was unclear Tuesday night if all nine remaining members of the Big 12 would waive that right, sources said. The Big 12 schools were expected to discuss the matter on Wednesday, sources said. That's the same day Texas A&M has planned a celebration in College Station to announce its admission into the SEC, sources said.

If even one of the Big 12 schools refuse to waive their right to sue the SEC over its courtship of Texas A&M, the SEC could withdraw its vote to admit A&M, sources said.

After letters were exchanged by SEC commissioner Mike Slive and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe Tuesday, Beebe told Slive the Big 12 conference office had waived its right to litigate against Texas A&M or the SEC but that the Big 12's waiver was not binding on the individual members of the Big 12, sources said.

The SEC indicated it would admit Texas A&M only upon condition that each individual member of the Big 12 waive its right to sue the SEC, sources said.

And that condition was in doubt Tuesday night, sources said.

Stay tuned.

The other info coming out from the SEC meeting is that in addition to that contingent acceptance of A&M the presidents also voted to give Slive (SEC commish) the ok to talk to Missouri and WVU about being the 14th team. That will be Missouri I'd guess. WVU is just there as a team that would definitely accept to put pressure on Missouri to join rather than holding out for the Big 10 invite they so desperately begged for last summer.

I'd take that with an even bigger grain of salt--though it did get tweeted by Dennis Dodd (CBSsports.com writer) earlier in the day and then blow up last night on twitter after the SEC meeting.

Ok, take the grain of salt away for the A&M vote/roadblock part of the news.

It's on Sportscenter now. Confirmed the SEC vote to accept A&M for the 2012 season. Joe Schad up next to talk about the potential roadblock.

And confirmed that the vote was unanimous and is contingent on not having any threats of litigation from Big 12 schools. And confirmed that Baylor is the one currently threatening to sue.

Schad said A&M hopes to have it resolved today and have a press conference to officially announce and celebrate the move tomorrow.

Looks like the A&M news is true as it was just on sportscenter and up on ESPN.com now.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move

Legal threat delays Aggies' move to SEC

By Joe Schad

The member presidents of the Southeastern Conference unanimously voted to accept Texas A&M Tuesday night as the league's 13th member, but the Aggies' official acceptance has been delayed by the potential threat of legal action.

The SEC's presidents want assurances that no individual Big 12 school will sue for contractual interference over Texas A&M's departure. Baylor has not given that assurance to this point, according to sources.

"We were notified yesterday afternoon that at least one Big 12 institution had withdrawn its previous consent and was considering legal action," University of Florida president and SEC chairman Dr. Bernie Machen said in a statement released Wednesday. "The SEC has stated that to consider an institution for membership, there must be no contractual hindrances to its departure. "

The SEC received written assurance from the Big 12 on Sept. 2 that it was free to accept Texas A&M as a member, Machen said.

Texas A&M had planned a celebration and news conference at the College Station campus for Wednesday but that is now on hold.

Texas A&M has said throughout the process that it was taking methodical steps. The Aggies hope to begin play in the SEC next season and have already sold out season tickets, in part from anticipation of the move.

Texas A&M is interested in making what it considers a bold move to separate itself from Texas while aligning with a conference it believes is a cultural fit and provides high visibility and financial stability. The SEC is interested in adding Texas to its television and recruiting footprint.

It's a harder path for sure, but they'll get more money to improve the program. And Mike Sherman has them on the rise and currently ranked in the top 10. So they should be competitive at least in the short term in the SEC.

Here's the official SEC statement:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/227814/statement-from-dr-bernie-machen.aspx

Statement from Dr. Bernie Machen, Chair, Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors:

After receiving unanimous written assurance from the Big 12 on September 2 that the Southeastern Conference was free to accept Texas A&M to join as a new member, the presidents and chancellors of the SEC met last night with the intention of accepting the application of Texas A&M to be the newest member of the SEC. We were notified yesterday afternoon that at least one Big 12 institution had withdrawn its previous consent and was considering legal action. The SEC has stated that to consider an institution for membership, there must be no contractual hindrances to its departure. The SEC voted unanimously to accept Texas A&M University as a member upon receiving acceptable reconfirmation that the Big 12 and its members have reaffirmed the letter dated September 2, 2011.

So much for the arguments from Opus that the SEC had already voted "No" to expansion and wasn't going to change their minds. And that the threat of law suits wasn't the reason for that first vote.

Edit: Here's the letter the Big 12 commish sent the SEC on Sept 2nd saying the Big 12 and it's schools would not sue the SEC. This is what Baylor is trying to back out on---though the consensus is that they'll back down today after getting some kind of concessions from the Big 12.

http://images.radcity.net/6960/4850286.pdf

[quote name='Halo05']Business interests aside, I think A&M is nuts to want to get into the SEC. They're going to get mauled pretty regularly.[/QUOTE]

They get beat regularly in the Big 12, too. I don't blame them for leaving for better financial and competitive waters.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So much for the arguments from Opus that the SEC had already voted "No" to expansion and wasn't going to change their minds. And that the threat of law suits wasn't the reason for that first vote.[/QUOTE]
Good work sir.

Texas A&M will get their asses handed to them even worse now. They should should end up in the west with Bama/LSU/Miss St/Arkansas/Auburn side, which means they will be completely dominated in football.

The saddest thing in all of this is that most likely long time rivalries with Texas, Baylor, and Texas Tech will be shattered.

http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/2011/09/07/big-12-expressed-interest-in-ua/

The Arkansas AD confirmed the Big 12 reached out to him to gauge their interest in joining the Big 12 (which of course was none).

Seems hard for Baylor or any Big 12 schools to try to sue the SEC for tampering when their league was trying to induce an SEC team to leave!

Great drama here, Baylor is really looking like asses between this and that pathetic plee to save Texas football that the posted on their website yesterday (see earlier post). :lol:

I don't know what they hope to accomplish. Big East schools tried to sue to keep Miami, VT and BC from leaving, and that clearly didn't work. To the best of my recollection all the got out of it was agreements to play some home and home series with ACC teams--which are still on going. I know the upcoming WVU-FSU home and home the next two years is a result of that. Probably the current UNC-Rutgers series as well.

But I suppose it's not surprising since Ken Starr is Baylor's president. He wasted all that time and money going after Bill Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, so he has no problem wasting time and money on fruitless legal pursuits.

Edit: It's not just Baylor holding out now.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/breaki...tes-Texas-AM-to-join-league.html?abc=I0XA4pU5

Baylor was among six Big 12 schools that will not sign a waiver to allow Texas A&M to go to the Southeastern Conference following a meeting of the Big 12 presidents Wednesday afternoon, a source close to Baylor told the Tribune-Herald.

The other schools were Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State and Missouri.

If Oklahoma reaffirms its commitment to the Big 12, the schools are expected to sign the waiver that would allow the Aggies to go to the SEC without any legal action. The Sooners, who are reportedly considering a move to the Pac-12, are expected to make their decision within the next two weeks.

Interesting that Missouri is one school refusing to sign when they and WVU are rumored to be the top two choices for the 14th SEC team currently. Guess they really have no interest in going to the SEC as I'd have to think that would piss off a lot of SEC presidents and lessen their support of Missouri joining.

Here's the official statement from the Big 12 conference commissioner on the waiver mess.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205268058

Statement From Dan Beebe On Texas A&M

"This is the first time to my knowledge that a conference has been requested to waive any legal claims toward another conference for any damages suffered with a membership change. The Big 12 Conference was asked by Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference to waive any such claim to help facilitate Texas A&M's departure from the Conference without any consideration to the Big 12. Although they were not obligated to do so, the Big 12 Board of Directors decided to accommodate that request as it relates to The Big 12 Conference, Inc., which is reflected in the September 2 letter sent to SEC commissioner Mike Slive.

However, the waiver did not and could not bind the individual member institutions' governing boards to waive institutional rights. If the departure of Texas A&M results in significant changes in the Big 12 membership, several institutions may be severely affected after counting on revenue streams from contracts that were approved unanimously by our members, including Texas A&M. In some cases, members reasonably relied on such approval to embark on obligations that will cost millions of dollars."

So it's sounding like A&M and the SEC are going to have to be willing to risk fighting some legal battles for the move to happen. Again, I don't see the big deal as nothing every came out of the Big East suing the ACC back in 2003-2004 after that raid other than playing some home and home series against Big East schools.

Some I'm guessing something will get worked out.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move

More solid source on the current waiver status. Confirms that only Oklahoma is willing to sign the waiver currently.

Apparently the other 7 schools are trying to pressure Oklahoma to commit to staying in the Big 12 (and trying to grab BYU to replace A&M) and if OU commits they'll waive their rights to sue and let A&M go.

So the ball's in OU's feet, and they've been talking like they really want to go to the Pac 12 in recent days from statements from their AD, Stoops saying he'd be ok if the rivalry with Texas ended if they move etc.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming days. Some blurbs on twitter etc. that Texas and OU may agree to equal revenue sharing in the Big 12 to try to stabilize it going forward and keep anyone else from leaving.

Apparently that ESPN report was bunk. Both Texas Tech and Oklahoma State made statements that it wasn't true and there wasn't any agreement contingent on Oklahoma staying in the Big 12. Ok State said they wouldn't put OU in that position.

Seems like it's really just Baylor and maybe Iowa State being a pain, the other school either just aren't comfortable signing a waiver but would verbally reaffirm the original Big 12 letter saying they wouldn't sue and/or would have to wait for their board of regents to approve signing a waiver.

Also some rumors swirling about Texas and Notre Dame making overtures to the Big 10 saying they've made an offer to the league of joining if given some concessions like an 8 game conference schedule etc. But purely rumor and I don't really see that being true.

No problem. It's a nice break here and there during the work day to check twitter etc. and see if there's anything new from sports writers, scout/rival forum owners etc. on this mess!

If serious--no problem!

If sarcastic--also no problem! I'm just having fun procrastinating work by following this crap and posting it here. :D

Non-expansion news, LSU's Russel Shepard will be back for the WVU game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...pard-lsu-tigers-return-suspension-fourth-game

And some more expansion news from sportscenter....Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech have all waived their legal rights to sue if A&M goes to the SEC. Interesting as those are all teams also rumored to be on the move to other conferences (along with Ok. State that hasn't waived their right yet).

[quote name='dmaul1114']:lol:

Louisville loses at home to Florida International.[/QUOTE]

I just saw that score come across ESPN (watching the Mizzou ASU game) and was like WTF! Either FIU is improved, Louisville sucks, or somewhere in between.

Holy crap! That was an insane catch by Miles of ASU! Mizzou's defense is really suffering without those injured starters.

[quote name='Chitown021']I just saw that score come across ESPN (watching the Mizzou ASU game) and was like WTF! Either FIU is improved, Louisville sucks, or somewhere in between.

Holy crap! That was an insane catch by Miles of ASU! Mizzou's defense is really suffering without those injured starters.[/QUOTE]
I knew we were probably going to lose coming into this game. FIU is no slouch who returned a lot of starters and had an insane playmaker in TY Hilton. Louisville is a very young team with a bunch of injuries, especially at O-Line, which destroyed the run game. Mix all that with poor play calling, and a few big mistakes and that's probably why they lost. I don't have a lot of hope for Louisville this season, but we do have a lot of young talent, so we should be pretty good for the next few years to come.

[quote name='Halo05']Not anymore. ASU plays so fucking sloppy that they keep letting Missouri back in.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't believe they muffed that punt after they had the momentum and then didn't pick up the kickoff until the last moment almost allowing Mizzou to get it back again.

Spread offense is horrible in goal line situations...

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! HUUUGE PLAY ON 4TH DOWN! TIE GAME WITH LESS THAN 3 MIN TO GO!!!!!

WVU down 12-10 to Norfolk State at the half. :bomb:

And many of our fans are hoping we go to the SEC......

Edit: At least WVU has came out fired up in the 2nd half. Two quick TD drives with a 3 out by Norfolk i between in less than 5 minutes.

At least WVU showed up for the second half and outscored Norfolk State 45-0 to win 55-12.

Next week at Maryland should give a real indicator of how good we are this year.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I knew we were probably going to lose coming into this game. FIU is no slouch who returned a lot of starters and had an insane playmaker in TY Hilton. Louisville is a very young team with a bunch of injuries, especially at O-Line, which destroyed the run game. Mix all that with poor play calling, and a few big mistakes and that's probably why they lost. I don't have a lot of hope for Louisville this season, but we do have a lot of young talent, so we should be pretty good for the next few years to come.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry basketball should be starting up real soon.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The second half of this Michigan/Notre Dame game has been insane.[/QUOTE]

oh man 3td's in the final 1:30? while it fucking great to watch, the def coaches need to be fired, lol. Still what a finish!!

bread's done
Back