Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Because once you qualify for an at-large bid, all that matters is which fanbase will travel. Apparently Michigan and Virginia Tech win in that battle.

Rebuilding year with a new QB and we didn't win the conference, but we still get a BCS bowl? I'll take it.

We'll probably get destroyed, but more money for the school and conference is cool.

[quote name='blindinglights']Rebuilding year with a new QB and we didn't win the conference, but we still get a BCS bowl? I'll take it.

We'll probably get destroyed, but more money for the school and conference is cool.[/QUOTE]

You can't actually be happy about getting a BCS bowl, can you? It was completely undeserved, and frankly they don't deserve to even sniff a BCS bowl. I don't see how a weak schedule + close games with terrible teams (Duke/Miami) + 2 losses to the same team, each by 20 or more points= Sugar Bowl. It just doesn't make an ounce of sense.

I hope Kansas State beats Arkansas.

So, bowl season looks boring this year.

I liked Rose and Fiesta bowl, but a lot of these bowl games looks like they will be lopsided.

[quote name='gbpackers94']You can't actually be happy about getting a BCS bowl, can you? It was completely undeserved, and frankly they don't deserve to even sniff a BCS bowl. I don't see how a weak schedule + close games with terrible teams (Duke/Miami) + 2 losses to the same team, each by 20 or more points= Sugar Bowl. It just doesn't make an ounce of sense.[/QUOTE]

So I should be disappointed that my team got a big money bowl because they didn't deserve it?

Were you disappointed that Louisville was considered to even have a chance to make a BCS bowl? Because losing to the crappy out of conference teams on your schedule is even worse than not beating them convincingly.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']I hope Kansas Staste beats Arkansas.

So, bowl season looks boring this year.

I liked Rose and Fiesta bowl, but a lot of these bowl games looks like they will be lopsided.[/QUOTE]

Oklahoma State will slaughter Stanford, so I'm not looking forward to that game. Rose Bowl should be good though, and if I hadn't already watched Bama-LSU, that would be a good game too.

[quote name='blindinglights']So I should be disappointed that my team got a big money bowl because they didn't deserve it?

Were you disappointed that Louisville was considered to even have a chance to make a BCS bowl? Because losing to the crappy out of conference teams on your schedule is even worse than not beating them convincingly.[/QUOTE]

No to the second part, because if they went it would have been because they won their conference, if VT won their conference I wouldn't have a problem with them going to a BCS bowl. And to the the first part, I didn't really mean disappointed... I meant more of "What the fuck? Why are we here?" reaction. And Tech is not in a rebuilding year, all they lost was Tyrod.

And my whole anger isn't personal, I'm just pissed that a 11-1 Boise team, a 10-2 Kansas State team, a 10-2 TCU team, and a 10-2 SC team didn't make a bowl, when every single one of those teams had better wins/harder schedules.

[quote name='gbpackers94']And Tech is not in a rebuilding year, all they lost was Tyrod.[/QUOTE]

...and replaced him with a first time starter who came to college to play tight end, and only had experience from some light backup duty in blowouts last year. Plus a young defense that ended up being decimated by injuries.

There are some pretty decent bowls this year, despite the BCS's lack of great games. Here are some that I think will be fun to watch:
Florida State vs. Notre Dame, 12/29, 5:30pm, ESPN (Champs Sports Bowl)
Nebraska vs. South Carolina, 1/2, 1pm, ESPN (Capitol One Bowl)
Michigan State vs. Georgia, 1/2, 1pm, ABC (Outback Bowl)
Wisconsin vs. Oregon, 1/2, 5pm, ESPN (Rose Bowl)
Kansas State vs. Arkansas, 1/6, 8pm, FOX (Cotton Bowl)

[quote name='gbpackers94']There are some pretty decent bowls this year, despite the BCS's lack of great games. Here are some that I think will be fun to watch:
Florida State vs. Notre Dame, 12/29, 5:30pm, ESPN (Champs Sports Bowl)
Nebraska vs. South Carolina, 1/2, 1pm, ESPN (Capitol One Bowl)
Michigan State vs. Georgia, 1/2, 1pm, ABC (Outback Bowl)
Wisconsin vs. Oregon, 1/2, 5pm, ESPN (Rose Bowl)
Kansas State vs. Arkansas, 1/6, 8pm, FOX (Cotton Bowl)[/QUOTE]
We are going to kill Notre Dame. Notre Dame hasn't played a defense like ours all season. Just prepping you.

I think the Orange Bowl will be a fun one to watch. A good offense showdown.

Fiesta Bowl final score should look like a Basketball score since both of their defenses suck.

[quote name='lordopus99']We are going to kill Notre Dame. Notre Dame hasn't played a defense like ours all season. Just prepping you.[/QUOTE]

Godspeed my son. Make the TD Jeebus weep delicious tears.

[quote name='lordopus99']We are going to kill Notre Dame. Notre Dame hasn't played a defense like ours all season. Just prepping you.

I think the Orange Bowl will be a fun one to watch. A good offense showdown.

Fiesta Bowl final score should look like a Basketball score since both of their defenses suck.[/QUOTE]

I hope Florida State crushes Notre Dame. Then Brian Kelly can start off the season with a bunch of high hopes from unrealistic and impatient boosters, endure another mediocre to average season, get one more year if he's lucky, be fired, and then they can start their ridiculous cycle of expecting too much too fast all over again.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Florida State beat ONE team with a winning record this year. ONE![/QUOTE]
And that was a shutout...

3 of our 4 losses were lost by a score or less against Bowl teams without our starting QB and leading WR. And that was with the ACC refs against us during all ACC play. Don't believe me...

Here was Miami... Luckily this ref screwjob didn't cost us a game. Biggest one of all is at 15:02 mark... a legal hit gets our top LB ejected from that game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8x6CqR0y8

Never saw one of these before until it happened against us against NC State...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRDvXtS4uzE

These are just instances of what happened all year. ACC refs shouldn't be officiating our Bowl game ;)

[quote name='blindinglights']I hope Florida State crushes Notre Dame. Then Brian Kelly can start off the season with a bunch of high hopes from unrealistic and impatient boosters, endure another mediocre to average season, get one more year if he's lucky, be fired, and then they can start their ridiculous cycle of expecting too much too fast all over again.[/QUOTE]

This.

It never gets old either. The notion that Brian Kelly is some sort of class act is what really burns my grits. Dude abandoned Cincinnati before their bowl game a couple years ago for that big catholic money. fuck him and fuck any team he coaches.

[quote name='lordopus99']Fiesta Bowl final score should look like a Basketball score since both of their defenses suck.[/QUOTE]

I'd take it over 9-6 any day.

Yeah, I hate defensive battles. Really looking forward to the Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl as those should be shootouts.

I don't really like WVU's chances in the Orange. Defense has been week all year, and our offense has struggled to put points up the 2nd half of the season. Could get ugly if Clemson jumps on us early.

As for ND-FSU--two of my most hated teams. So it's one of those 'hope for a meteor strike' matchups. :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't really like WVU's chances in the Orange. Defense has been week all year, and our offense has struggled to put points up the 2nd half of the season. Could get ugly if Clemson jumps on us early.[/QUOTE]

Don't underestimate Clemson's ability to Clemson itself.

My goodness, so much love for the Irish in this thread...

I will be rooting for Kansas State, Notre Dame, and for Mizzou to get beat by North Carolina since they decided to skip town on the Big 12 and on Kansas City.

[quote name='Chitown021']My goodness, so much love for the Irish in this thread...[/QUOTE]

I just think it's comical that they seriously expect to contend for national titles every single year (although, I've noticed some fans over the last few years have toned that down to BCS bowls, which is still pretty comical), yet the boosters refuse to let anyone have enough time to get their system and players firmly in place.

I seriously don't understand why any good coach with rising stock would ever want to go there. The program "prestige" seems like it would be far overshadowed by the ridiculous expectations.

[quote name='blindinglights']I just think it's comical that they seriously expect to contend for national titles every single year (although, I've noticed some fans over the last few years have toned that down to BCS bowls, which is still pretty comical), yet the boosters refuse to let anyone have enough time to get their system and players firmly in place.

I seriously don't understand why any good coach with rising stock would ever want to go there. The program "prestige" seems like it would be far overshadowed by the ridiculous expectations.[/QUOTE]

That is annoying. I'm a fan but a realistic one. In the past couple years my goal has just been to WIN a frickin' bowl game. We went so long without winning one it was pathetic. Also the hiring and firing of coaches has been insane. You've got to give a guy at least a few years to implement their system and recruit their guys.

RG3 for Heisman! He won't win but I think he's the most deserving of all the candidates IMHO. He put up ridiculous numbers against quality Big 12 opponents. He did the most with the least with Baylor.

[quote name='Chitown021']RG3 for Heisman! He won't win but I think he's the most deserving of all the candidates IMHO. He put up ridiculous numbers against quality Big 12 opponents. He did the most with the least with Baylor.[/QUOTE]

If the award is for the player that meant the most to his team, it's absolutely ridiculous if he doesn't get it.

It's not an MVP award. It's just an award for the best player.

I'd probably go with RG3 as well. Mathieu is probably the best player, but he's such a douchebag and had the drug issue so I don't think he'll get the votes. Hard for a defensive player to win even without the extra baggage.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Looks like the Big East expansion/replacements will finally be announced tomorrow per CBSSports.

Will be adding Boise State, San Diego State, Houston, SMU and UCF in 2013. First two football only, latter 3 in all sports.

Guess Air Force and Navy are still holding out.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean the ACC gets Pitt and Syracuse next year? VT has Pitt scheduled as an OOC game, I'm wondering if we get a different opponent should they become ACC teams next year.

All indications are still that Pitt and Cuse are staying until 2014. They haven't sued to try to leave early like WVU has.

My guess is once WVU gets out early (and they will) that will set a precedent and we'll see Pitt and Cuse leave as well as long as they're also willing to pay whatever settlement.

At this point in the scheduling game I think they both stay for next year and go to the ACC in 2013 when all these new schools join the Big East.

Edit: CBSsports has a story up now with more or less the above info. Pitt and Cuse and waiting to see what happens with WVU, if WVU leaves early they'd leave early too (though no indication if they'd bolt next your or in 2013).

Also notes that Navy is expected to join next week. Air Force is still deciding--if they say no, apparently Temple is next in line for an invite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Fedora is the new UNC coach.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...oach per Tweets from Joe Schad and CBSSports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fedora seems like a good fit for UNC. Wasn't his name also in the mix for TAMU? Personally, I think UNC would be a better overall situation because the A&M faithful probably want to be competitive immediately in the SEC and I'm not so sure that will work out too well given the transition from a high scoring league where it doesn't seem like anyone knows what a defense is to a league that generally takes great pride in defense. I know the state of Texas is a recruiting hot bed, but I think it would be a rough way to for him start off leading a bigger program between being the new coach, in a new conference, with a different style of play than the program has been built for.

He was mentioned by A&M, but they're likely going with Kevin Sumlin. Which could be a mistake due to the defense dominated nature of the SEC, as you noted.

Sucks for the Big East, just added SMU and Houston, and looks like they're both losing their coaches and thus risk tanking.

So I guess the Arizona State fans and boosters screamed loud enough.

The school pulled back the head coaching position offer and Jones is no longer a candidate.

[quote name='Chitown021']Wow, can't believe RG3 actually won the Heisman! It's a rare year where they give the award to the right guy.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Nick Saban is an idiot for going on and on about Richardson being the best player in the nation, and luckily the Heisman voters agreed. He didn't even come close.

They got it right, IMO.

[quote name='Chitown021']Wow, can't believe RG3 actually won the Heisman! It's a rare year where they give the award to the right guy.[/QUOTE]
He was easily the reason Baylor did so well i.e. the MVP of any team... so well deserved

Apparently the boosters balked at the salary Jones would have gotten. Apparently Graham is cheaper.

More to the leaving Pitt story. Apparently he called the Pitt AD to ask for permission to talk to ASU and was denied. He then resigned 3 hours later. He also apparently put feelers out to Kansas and A&M during their searches as well. Guess he really wanted out of Pittsburgh. Can't blame him! ;(

So no surprise that Boise St beat that living crap out of Arizona St. Thanks Bowl committees and BCS (been constantly snubbed) for such a great game. :roll:

[quote name='lordopus99']So no surprise that Boise St beat that living crap out of Arizona St. Thanks Bowl committees and BCS (been constantly snubbed) for such a great game. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Do they join the Big East next year, or do they have to stay in the Mountain West another year?

It's a shame they finally join an AQ conference but joining that conference amounts to what is pretty much a lateral move by the time they start playing in it. At least they can drop a game and still get a BCS bowl, but they're still stuck playing a bunch of midmajors.

However, I wonder if they can get some better OOC arrangements (home and home) now that they will be a BCS school.

Well, looks like Louisville got the business side of one of the most inconsistent teams this year. O'Brien showing off that black magic he has when it comes to bowl games.

bread's done
Back