Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Yeah, I really don't give a crap about bowl games in general this year. I'm not even that stoked for WVU's honestly. They have 3 losses and are playing a 3 loss Clemson team, neither really deserve a BCS bowl bid when teams like K-State, Boise, TCU etc. got shut out.

Hope they ditch autobids in the future and just make it the top however many teams in the final poll--even though it benefited my team this year! At least in exposure anyway, current reports are that WVU will lose around $1 million on the Orange Bowl trip do to low ticket sales. Stupid having bowl games on weekdays right after the holidays--hard time for people to get off from work.

I'm not. Hard to see Penn State playing well with the controversy, the on-going circus in trying to pick a coach, and their QB being out from a concussion from a locker room fight. Far too many distractions. Plus I just think Houston is a better team. They just shit the bed vs. Southern Miss or they'd be in a BCS game and probably would have been competitive in it as well as they'd have probably played either Michigan or VT in the Sugar, neither of who is great.

LOL, now DJAX is sorry and is willing to take the franchise tag...

Gee, could that be because his stock has tanked and nobody really wants him?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not. Hard to see Penn State playing well with the controversy, the on-going circus in trying to pick a coach, and their QB being out from a concussion from a locker room fight. Far too many distractions. Plus I just think Houston is a better team. They just shit the bed vs. Southern Miss or they'd be in a BCS game and probably would have been competitive in it as well as they'd have probably played either Michigan or VT in the Sugar, neither of who is great.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I think after the Southern Miss game I underrated Houston and overrated Penn State.

Wild finish to this Michigan State Georgia game.

The Rose Bowl has lived up to expectations. 28-28 at the half. Set the Rose Bowl record for most points in the 1st quarter and in the 1st half.

Did the announcer say "The Ducks win the '98 Rose Bowl" or was it just me?

Terrible ending to an awesome game. That QB and that team = MORONS

Wow. Stanford misses a chip shot FG as time expires! Headed to OT tied at 38.

Smart move by Ok State to save their last time out to ice the kicker, rather than wasting it to force Stanford run one more play when they'd have ended up with the same FG attempt either way as a fumble is highly unlikely.

And Stanford's kicker misses again in OT (though to be fair their was a bad snap--though the holder dig get it down).

And Ok State gets a TD to win it (pending review to make sure he got in). Edit: And it looks like his knee was down, so it's technically not over yet. Edit 2: And now it's over as Ok State just centered the ball and kicked the extra point length FG. That was the only lead of the night for OSU!

Great games today! Hard to see any of the remaining BCS matchups living up to this one.

Stanford was probably better than you thought. They just didn't have the defense to slow down Oregon (who's probably the best offensive team in the country) or they'd have been in the title game.

Beamer is an idiot. Why take a chance on that fourth down and go for it? VT deserved to lose with all of the mistakes they made.

Questionable call for sure, but I always love to see the cHokies go down. :)

Will take some of the sting off the beatdown WVU will probably get tomorrow....

As pissed off as I am about that catch getting overturned, I'm much more angry with the awful coaching decisions that Beamer made during that game.

1. I know the Logan Thomas sneak has been ridiculous at times this year, but when your defense is flat out dominating Michigan, kick the motherfucking field goal. As conservative as Beamer is 99% of the time, how does he not just take the points?

2. Again, lights out defense, why even come after the punt? Tech had totally demoralized the Michigan offense for the entire first 29 minutes of the game. Denard looked like a shitty Division III quarterback against Bud Foster's defense. I know Beamer is known for special teams, but let's be honest, I haven't seen VT special teams be all that special in years. When they lined up with everyone on the line of scrimmage, I said to my friends who were watching with me "Jesus, don't run into the damn kicker" and no doubt, that's exactly what happened. The score should have been 9-0 at halftime.

3. Fake punt on the 50 when your defense is playing like they got rabies on the way to the game and have been foaming at the mouth all night? Are you fucking kidding me?

If you showed me the following stats, I would never believe that Michigan won this game.

First Downs
Michigan: 12
Virginia Tech: 22

Total Yards
Michigan: 184
Virginia Tech: 377

Passing Yards
Michigan: 128
Virginia Tech: 214

Rushing Yards
Michigan: 56
Virginia Tech: 163

Time of Possession
Michigan: 23:10
Virginia Tech: 36:50

But having the better team on the field means nothing, when the coach wants to make terrible decisions.

Put together a program that has the most wins out of any team in the country since 1995, but whenever you get them into a big game, act like you're confused on the sideline. Pretty much exactly what I'm used to with Beamer.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Either Stanford was a lot better than I thought or Oklahoma state would have gotten blown out in mnc.[/QUOTE]

Stanford was just as bad as you thought they were. Ok State started really flat in that game. Stanford had OSU down 14-0 and in a total of 2 minutes and 9 seconds of possession time in the second quarter OSU scored 2 touchdowns to tie it up.

Stanford's best win was a triple overtime victory at USC, a team who got blown out by Arizona State and taken to the limit by Minnesota at home.

If the raging Andrew Luck hard on wasn't so strong within the media, they would have been ranked #7 behind LSU, Bama, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Boise, and Arkansas.

VT loses their bowls historically. No surprise they somehow lost this one.

The rest of the ACC can't keep up to the success of FSU in bowls. Come on Clemson... please play like you did against us and Auburn. Please!!

Even as a WVU fan, I'm not very stoked about the game tonight. Just a crummy match up of two three loss teams from terrible conferences that didn't deserve BCS bids this year.

May end up an exciting game since both teams have pretty good offenses (though WVU's really struggled down the stretch and our starting RB blew out his knee in practice the other day), but there were teams like K-State and Boise who were much more deserving of BCS bids.

At least WVU will finally be in a real league next year and at least have to truly earn any future BCS bids.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Even as a WVU fan, I'm not very stoked about the game tonight. Just a crummy match up of two three loss teams from terrible conferences that didn't deserve BCS bids this year.

May end up an exciting game since both teams have pretty good offenses (though WVU's really struggled down the stretch and our starting RB blew out his knee in practice the other day), but there were teams like K-State and Boise who were much more deserving of BCS bids.

At least WVU will finally be in a real league next year and at least have to truly earn any future BCS bids.[/QUOTE]
Boise for sure got screwed but they would have been screwed no matter what since the BCS is fearful of a midmajor beating an AQ team. One made it this year and Houston took out Penn St convincely. As for K St, I actually think they got a better bowl than anything the BCS would have put them in. They got the 6th best team in the country, who most likely will wipe the floor with them, in a post Jan 1 bowl.

Huge play there. WVU strips the ball from Clemson RB at the goal line and returns it 99 yards for a TD to go up 28-17!

Already set Orange Bowl records for points in 1st quarter and 1st half.

49-20 at the half. Damn, coming in I'd have been shocked if WVU won this game with that final score, much less put that up in a half!

And WVU gets the ball back to start the half.

On another note, how many more BCS games does the ACC have to lose before the talking heads start talking about how they don't deserve a BCS autobid like the Big East has had to put up with since 2004 (despite being on the way to their 4th BCS win in that span)?

[quote name='dmaul1114']49-20 at the half. Damn, coming in I'd have been shocked if WVU won this game with that final score, much less put that up in a half!

And WVU gets the ball back to start the half.[/QUOTE]

Everyone hates on the Big East, yet the ACC is far worse. Prove me wrong, I dare you. (not you dmaul, you're cool :cool:)

If you watched the Clemson vs. NC State game, this wouldn't be surprising you at all.

They play great in some games and then they totally let the wheels fall off in others.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Everyone hates on the Big East, yet the ACC is far worse. Prove me wrong, I dare you. (not you dmaul, you're cool :cool:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the ACC just gets cred for having two big name, has been programs in Miami and FSU. And VT. They're not a has been, but are always overrated as shown by their awful bowl record.

Moot for the Big East as it's pretty much done as a big time league with WVU, Pitt and Cuse leaving anyway. So maybe the ACC will start to get more of the deserved criticism going forward.

Takes WVU all of 2 minutes and 30 seconds to score again. :lol:

56-20.

63-20 with over 9 minutes left in the 3rd. :lol:. 4th TD for Tavon Austin. He had a great year and this performance will have him on the Heisman shortlist for next year for sure. This performance should be a great spring board for WVU next year as they return all their key players on offense.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Everyone hates on the Big East, yet the ACC is far worse. Prove me wrong, I dare you. (not you dmaul, you're cool :cool:)[/QUOTE]

I will agree that WVU (not the Big East, just WVU) has had great performances in big games and that helps the Big East's image. But does one team's success make the Big East a better league top to bottom?

I don't really think the Big East is in a position to claim superiority over the ACC any more than the ACC can claim the reverse.

Both leagues have serious shortcomings. Louisville is a Big East conference champion. Let me say that again, Louisville is a champion of the conference. They finished 7-6.

The only reason the media always gives the nod to the ACC is the historic success of some of the programs. Whereas the Big East has programs like South Florida and UCONN which didn't even play division one football a few decades ago.

[quote name='blindinglights']
Both leagues have serious shortcomings. Louisville is a Big East conference champion. Let me say that again, Louisville is a champion of the conference. They finished 7-6.

The only reason the media always gives the nod to the ACC is the historic success of some of the programs. Whereas the Big East has programs like South Florida and UCONN which didn't even play division one football a few decades ago.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Both leagues blow. As I said, the ACC just gets less flack from having two big name, has been programs in FSU and Miami. If they keep being bad to mediocre, and VT keeps shitting the bed in bowl games, they'll eventually lose that rep though.

[quote name='blindinglights']If you watched the Clemson vs. NC State game, this wouldn't be surprising you at all.

They play great in some games and then they totally let the wheels fall off in others.[/QUOTE]
Exactly Clemson to a T. Midseason people caught onto their offensive scheme and then it went downhill from there. The defense has been mostly sketch all season. The last WVU series showed that.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Even if it is just WVU, the fact remains that the ACC is 2-13 in BCS bowl games while the Big East is 7-7.[/QUOTE]

Hard to go back that far though, as you're counting 3 Miami wins and they're in the ACC now. Better to just compare 2004 on--which is still way in favor of the BE with 3 WVU wins (counting tonight) and 1 by Louisville.

Think the only ACC win in that span was VT over Cincy a few years back.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. Both leagues blow. As I said, the ACC just gets less flack from having two big name, has been programs in FSU and Miami. If they keep being bad to mediocre, and VT keeps shitting the bed in bowl games, they'll eventually lose that rep though.[/QUOTE]
Has been... We still win our bowls (unlike the rest of the ACC). Still Top 25 for most of the years when we were supposely down including this year. Of course when you dominate from 1987 through 2001, this might look like a down state to outsiders but we are still a good team.

Good team yes. Great team that's good enough to bump a terrible conference's reputation? No. The ACC should have been getting must as much flack as the Big East over the past 8 years.

I don't think FSU or Miami will every get back to dominating anytime soon (especially Miami with likely major sanctions coming). Too many other schools take top talent out of Florida now. The in state schools don't have the monopoly on it anymore.

Even a team like WVU comes in an gets great players like Noel Devine, Geno Smith, Steadman Bailey etc. Much less teams like LSU, Alabama etc. Plus with USF and now UCF moving up to the BCS level has given in state player a couple more options if they want to stay closer to home etc. They aren't getting 4 or 5 stars, but definitely stilling some underrated 3 star recruits.

Since Louisville hired Strong, they have been getting a ton of high caliber Florida recruits, and that number is increasing every year. I'm not kidding folks, watch out for Louisville in the years to come.

Some sweet revenge for WVU on Taj Boyd (Clemson QB).

He was a WVU verbal commit and de-committed pretty late in the game. Left WVU scrambing for a QB recruit for that class---and they got Geno Smith! :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']Good team yes. Great team that's good enough to bump a terrible conferences reputation? No.

I don't think FSU or Miami will every get back to dominating anytime soon (especially Miami with likely major sanctions coming). Too many other schools take top talent out of Florida now. The in state schools don't have the monopoly on it anymore.

Even a team like WVU comes in an gets great players like Noel Devine, Geno Smith, Steadman Bailey etc. Much less teams like LSU, Alabama etc.[/QUOTE]
Smith is from Atlanta. As for Bailey, FSU and Miami didn't even look at him. Florida didn't give him an offer. Florida schools still get the pickings they want.

We just go for the best talent out there and chase where it is i.e. Jameis Winston #1 QB in 2012 class from Alabama, Mario Edwards #1 DE in 2012 class from Texas, etc; both committed. Miami is the only historical school of the big 3 that recruits heavily in-state.

[quote name='lordopus99']Smith is from Atlanta. As for Bailey....
.[/QUOTE]

Smith and Bailey played on the same team at Miramar high school in Florida, and both lived near (and their parents still live near) the stadium the games into night. They've talked about it repeatedly on the broadcast.....Ivan McCartney (another WVU receiver) also played with them in high school at Miramar.

I swear you're the least informed blowhard on CAG.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Smith and Bailey played on the same team at Miramar high school in Florida, and both lived near (and their parents still live near) the stadium the games into night. They've talked about it repeatedly on the broadcast.....Ivan McCartney (another WVU receiver) also played with them in high school at Miramar.

I swear you're the least informed blowhard on CAG.[/QUOTE]
My confusion on another Geno Smith. Either way it doesn't matter. Like I said, we recruit nationally, not necessarily in-state. Hence being #2 in current recruiting.

Next year, the Iron Dukes return. Bank on it.

They will leave opponents scoreless for the entire regular season just like in 1938...

...and then they will lose their bowl game just like in 1938, in ACC fashion.

But that's besides the point.

This year's Alabama defense will be laughable in comparison.

8.8 points per game allowed?

What do you know about 7 points per season allowed, Nick Saban?

icon10.gif

[quote name='lordopus99']West Virginia scared to play in asks out of FSU game series. I wouldn't want to play us either ;)
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-westvirginia-floridast[/QUOTE]

I hate dropping the game, as playing FSU is good for recruiting in Florida, but with the move to the Big 12 and having 9 conference games vs. the 7 in the Big East there wasn't much choice.

Only room for 3 non-conference games since you can only play 12, and couldn't ask out of the others as Marshall and Maryland are at home and we need the home games to turn a profit. And the James Madison game is a neutral site game at Fed Ex field and has a huge buyout (and a $2 million payout for playing it).

Also heard on a WVU board that giving up the FSU series is part of what the Big East wants to let WVU leave as the series was part of the law suit settlement from the 2004 ACC raid of the Big East--ACC agreed to a certain number of out of conference games vs. Big East teams. So they want to keep those games and give them to another Big East school. Not sure how valid that is.

In any case, it stinks. I'd have rather ditched Marshall, but I get the need to have home games to turn a profit for the year. But I worry about not having games in Florida semi regularly will hurt our recruiting down their, so I'd have loved to have kept the FSU series.

bread's done
Back