Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='dmaul1114']Should be some good controversy either way.

Either or both of them make it, the BCS auto bid leagues will be more compelled to give into a playoff.

If either or both of them are unbeaten and get jumped by 1 or 2 loss teams, they'll be able to raise hell, Congress will get involved etc.

So hopefully they both win out and cause some controversy and get us closer to a playoff and turning college football into a real sport.[/QUOTE]

Some resolution should come by the end of the month. TCU/Utah, LSU/Auburn, and Mizzou/Oklahoma will help cut down the undefeated teams for sure. Hopefully that clears things up considerably, but it will probably make things that much more interesting.

[quote name='craven_fiend']if Virginia Tech wins ACC and Oregon St plays solid. [/QUOTE]

Good luck with that thought. VT will NOT win the ACC. They still have to play all the 1 loss teams (ACC standings) on their side i.e. @UNC, GT, and @Miami. Prediction: ACC Championship is a rematch of FSU and Miami. As for Oregon St, they are 3-3 with still to play USC, Stanford, and Oregon... in other words, they will be lucky to have a winning record by end of season.

I think this year is going to be another crazy one like 2007. The next six weeks should be really interesting. Honestly, the only team that has a cake walk to being undefeated is Boise State (since they play in the WAC).

BCS poll is out:

1. Oklahoma 6-0
  2. Oregon 6-0
  3. Boise State 6-0
  4. Auburn 7-0
  5. TCU 7-0
  6. LSU 7-0
  7. Michigan State 7-0
  8. Alabama 6-1
  9. Utah 6-0
  10. Ohio State 6-1
  11. Missouri 6-0
  12. Stanford 5-1
  13. Wisconsin 6-1
  14. Oklahoma State 6-0
  15. Iowa 5-1
  16. Nebraska 5-1
  17. Florida State 6-1
  18. Arizona 5-1
  19. Texas 4-2
  20. West Virginia 5-1
  21. South Carolina 4-2
  22. Kansas State 5-1
  23. Arkansas 4-2
  24. Mississippi State 5-2
  25. Virginia Tech 5-2

Oklahoma #1... really?

If Auburn goes undefeated, I strongly feel voters are going to sympathize (see 2004) which should boost them to #2 if no one else falls by the end of the year. Not really fair for other teams, but it goes to show how much of a sham the BCS is.

The season will end with 4 undefeated teams in my opinion: Oregon, Oklahoma, Boise State, TCU. Based on their schedules and the voters, Oregon will be #1 in the BCS and Oklahoma #2 (running the table in the Pac-10 has only happened once since the round-robin scheduling was put in place). Oklahoma deserves the #2 spot if they can run the table as they have quality non-conference wins, but running the table in the Big 12 doesn't compare to the Pac-10.

As for Cam Newton, I admit, I hadn't seen him play and knocked on him, but he was amazing on Saturday. Then again, the much talked about playing defense in the SEC was thrown out the window. Finally two teams showed some good offense, but those were pretty bad throws on Wilson's part.

It's 2-man race for the Heisman. Cam Newton leading the way now (after this weekend's performance) and LaMichael James right behind him.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']BCS poll is out:
Oklahoma #1... really?

If Auburn goes undefeated, I strongly feel voters are going to sympathize (see 2004) which should boost them to #2 if no one else falls by the end of the year. Not really fair for other teams, but it goes to show how much of a sham the BCS is.[/QUOTE]

It's just based on the team's body of work as of now. Oklahoma definitely has the best wins with victories over Florida State, Cincinnati, Air Force (diminished because they lost this weekend), and Texas (boost with victory over Nebraska). Sadly, Oregon only has a win over Stanford, but they've won by double digits in all their other games.

Auburn will keep moving up if they keep winning. If they run the table in the SEC (I think they'll lose to Alabama), they'll be one of the top 2 spots. If somehow Oregon, Oklahoma, and Auburn run the table, I think Oklahoma loses out based on the Big 12 being weaker than the Pac-10 and SEC this year.

[quote name='MasterSun1']As for Cam Newton, I admit, I hadn't seen him play and knocked on him, but he was amazing on Saturday. Then again, the much talked about playing defense in the SEC was thrown out the window. Finally two teams showed some good offense, but those were pretty bad throws on Wilson's part.[/QUOTE]

Saturday's defense aside, Newton has been playing pretty consistent regardless of opponent. If he continues at this level of play, it's going to be difficult to argue that anyone else will deserve the Heisman. His stats are getting close to breaking several different SEC records and we're just barely at the halfway point through the season.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Saturday's defense aside, Newton has been playing pretty consistent regardless of opponent. If he continues at this level of play, it's going to be difficult to argue that anyone else will deserve the Heisman. His stats are getting close to breaking several different SEC records and we're just barely at the halfway point through the season.[/QUOTE]

Auburn has to keep winning in order for Cam to be considered. You're team can only a loss or two in order for your candidate to have a shot at winning.

Yeah, didn't really looking into Va Tech and Oregon St. Just knew those were the 2 teams that could likely help Boise St, if they won out. I just hope the season ends in another mess, that way the BCS can get busted.

BCS standings are just wow. Oklahoma beats up on 3-4 Big 12 bottom feeder, Iowa St, and they are now the best team in the country :lol: Their wins have not been that impressive. They still have to play undefeated Mizzou, in-state rival and undefeated OK St, and the Big 12 Championship against most likely Nebraska. I don't like their chances based on performances up to this point.

I don't think Oregon goes undefeated.

Mich St is the only team I believe at this point (outside Boise St and TCU/Utah) who could go undefeated.

No one really has a bunch of impressive wins. Oklahoma's are probably the best right now with Florida State, Texas, Cincy and Air Force.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No one really has a bunch of impressive wins. Oklahoma's are probably the best right now with Florida State, Texas, Cincy and Air Force.[/QUOTE]

Florida State - chalk some of it up to the fact that Mark Stoops and Bob Stoops are related. ;)
Cincy - 3-3; loss at Fresno St... eww.
Air Force - not convinced on them... expect them to lose to the next two teams (TCU and Utah); that would make them 4-4.
Utah St - 2-4 Aggies took Oklahoma to the wire.
Outside two games, they have only one by a score.
Let's see how well they do against the better teams in their league, Mizzou/OK St/Big 12 Championship against most likely Nebraska.

Based on quality of wins, LSU, who has SOS 15th, has better wins IMO... 3 ranked teams. Granted either way, Auburn or LSU should be #1 at the end of next weekend as they play each other. At the same time, the SEC is the hardest road in football so both teams will still have to get past Alabama and a SEC championship game in order to stay undefeated, which will be a long shot.

Looking at SOS, it funny to see Oregon has one of the worst, tied for 111th; that's worst than Boise St and TCU :lol: Luckily for them, BCS doesn't factor that in. ;)

Yeah, I was just talking this week. Oklahoma's schedule isn't great, but it's better than the other unbeatens through this weekends games.

LSU is the one that has an argument, I agree. But they are hurt by being lower in the human polls since their offense stinks and they've been lucky to win a couple of games.

[quote name='lordopus99']

I don't think Oregon goes undefeated.

Mich St is the only team I believe at this point (outside Boise St and TCU/Utah) who could go undefeated.[/QUOTE]

Oklahoma definitely has some tough games coming up and could certainly lose either of the two you pointed out above.

I agree tons of possible losses for Oregon include UCLA this week, USC next week, Washington the week after, Arizona two weeks after that and the Civil War.

If Mich State gets past Northwestern and then Iowa @Iowa on 10/30 then they will go undefeated.

[quote name='MasterSun1']

Auburn will keep moving up if they keep winning. If they run the table in the SEC (I think they'll lose to Alabama), they'll be one of the top 2 spots.[/QUOTE]

Auburn has three possible slip ups (LSU, @Ole Miss, and Georgia) and Alabama before the SEC Championship game. Probably wondering why I said @Ole Miss (I know they lost to Jacksonville State in the first game of the season) if you look at where Auburn has struggled, it's on the road. They have only won by a total of six points on the road this year. Ole Miss can score and even stayed with Bama @Bama most of the game.

Yes, most likely they lose against Bama but, there are three other possible landmines in their way to going undefeated in the regular season.

Outside two games, they have only one by a score.[/QUOTE]

You're right, the wins haven't been impressive, but they are wins (regardless of score) against pretty good teams (compared to everyone else's slate).

Based on quality of wins, LSU, who has SOS 15th, has better wins IMO... 3 ranked teams. Granted either way, Auburn or LSU should be #1 at the end of next weekend as they play each other. At the same time, the SEC is the hardest road in football so both teams will still have to get past Alabama and a SEC championship game in order to stay undefeated, which will be a long shot.

LSU is undefeated and has a tough SOS, but they haven't looked very good winning (see game against Tennessee). If they run the table in the SEC (not gonna happen), then they would deserve the #1 spot.

Looking at SOS, it funny to see Oregon has one of the worst, tied for 111th; that's worst than Boise St and TCU :lol: Luckily for them, BCS doesn't factor that in. ;)

WRONG. The BCS does factor them in (indirectly) as all 6 computer polls used in the computer rankings factor them in. That's why Oregon is 8th in the computers. That ranking will go up every week as Pac-10 play continues with remaining games against UCLA, @USC, Washington, @California, Arizona, and @Oregon State, all better than teams Oregon has beaten thus far except for Stanford.

What hurts Oregon (and other teams as well) is that margin of victory isn't factored in in the polls that make up the computer rankings. Hence, Oregon's W against Tennessee is only marginally better than LSU's W against them (Oregon played on the road and blew them out, LSU was at home and got lucky). This is to uphold sportsmanship and to discourage teams from running up the score (not that it would matter against FCS teams or bottom-feeding FBS teams) and to prevent polls from being a beauty pageant which is already complete BS since that's exactly what the BCS is.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's landmines for every team. I think everyone already knows that Boise State has the easiest road and will likely go undefeated, followed by TCU. But I hope for the sake of college football, Oregon, Oklahoma, Auburn, LSU, or Michigan State run the table. Of those teams, MSU has the easiest path, followed by Oregon, then Oklahoma, then Auburn, then LSU.

No question about who is #1 in the land AKA Oregon.

Oregon >>> UCLA >> Texas < Oklahoma

Oregon crushes UCLA who runs all over Texas who Oklahoma struggled to beat.

Auburn should crush LSU and Missouri should make things interesting against Oklahoma.

[quote name='MasterSun1']No question about who is #1 in the land AKA Oregon.

Oregon >>> UCLA >> Texas < Oklahoma

Oregon crushes UCLA who runs all over Texas who Oklahoma struggled to beat.

Auburn should crush LSU and Missouri should make things interesting against Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

I knew you post this crap. What did you expect... you were favored by 21 points. Come on the Pac-10 is a joke. 3-3 Cal beat up on them last week. UCLA is 3-4. Play some one worthwhile so I can care until then who cares who you beat; last year you did and you got hammered by Boise St to the point that your players had to try and sucker punch Boise St players; the score might not reflect it but anyone who watched it knew it was a hammering , only 31 rushing yards for a team that rushes constantly :roll:

Like I mentioned earlier, either Auburn or LSU will be #1 when weekend ends. If Oklahoma wins this weekend (which they most likely will; Mizzou hasn't played ANYONE), then you are now are on the outside looking in; sitting at #3 hoping that one of the two teams loses.

[quote name='lordopus99']I knew you post this crap. What did you expect... you were favored by 21 points. Come on the Pac-10 is a joke. 3-3 Cal beat up on them last week. UCLA is 3-4. Play some one worthwhile so I can care until then who cares who you beat; last year you did and you got hammered by Boise St to the point that your players had to try and sucker punch Boise St players; the score might not reflect it but anyone who watched it knew it was a hammering , only 31 rushing yards for a team that rushes constantly :roll:

Like I mentioned earlier, either Auburn or LSU will be #1 when weekend ends. If Oklahoma wins this weekend (which they most likely will; Mizzou hasn't played ANYONE), then you are now are on the outside looking in; sitting at #3 hoping that one of the two teams loses.[/QUOTE]

I'll hold you to that.

WVU stinks. Lethargic effort, poor play calling lead to a home loss to Syracuse.

At this point I kind of just hope they collapse so we can get a coaching change. Bill Stewart should have never been hired in the first place.

Like I mentioned earlier, either Auburn or LSU will be #1 when weekend ends. If Oklahoma wins this weekend (which they most likely will; Mizzou hasn't played ANYONE), then you are now are on the outside looking in; sitting at #3 hoping that one of the two teams loses.[/QUOTE]

Oklahoma? More like Choklahoma, as usual in big time games. Auburn might jump to #1 in the BCS (#1 in the computers very likely) IF the voters put them in the #3 spot over TCU. Still, beating LSU by a touchdown is not that impressive, though Newton was a beast tonight. Oregon should be #2 at the minimum.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Oklahoma? More like Choklahoma, as usual in big time games. Auburn might jump to #1 in the BCS (#1 in the computers very likely) IF the voters put them in the #3 spot over TCU. Still, beating LSU by a touchdown is not that impressive, though Newton was a beast tonight. Oregon should be #2 at the minimum.[/QUOTE]

Not that impressive...ha. LSU is a tough defense and they got manhandled by Newton; Auburn dropped 441 rushing yards... See his top 10 TD run where he broke 2 guys ankles and then carried an all-american on his back on the way for the TD.

As for Oklahoma, it happened so you guys should stay at #2 (Auburn should be #1). You guys will most likely choke yourself by the end of season.

I will say after watching part of the Washington/Arizona game (up late tonight; the first pac-10 game this season to see part of)... boy are your Pac-10 games so lame. The announcers were so bored they started talking about Zona's homecoming.

[quote name='lordopus99']Not that impressive...ha. LSU is a tough defense and they got manhandled by Newton; Auburn dropped 441 rushing yards... See his top 10 TD run where he broke 2 guys ankles and then carried an all-american on his back on the way for the TD. [/QUOTE]

That was an impressive run. But guess what, you're not a "tough defense" if you give up that many yards to a quarterback, no matter how athletic he is.

As for Oklahoma, it happened so you guys should stay at #2 (Auburn should be #1). You guys will most likely choke yourself by the end of season.

Yeah, you who clearly has it out for the Pac-10 thinks Auburn should be #1 when the majority of the people voting that actually know football has Oregon at #1 by a wide margin. lordopus99 >>>>> the media.

I will say after watching part of the Washington/Arizona game (up late tonight; the first pac-10 game this season to see part of)... boy are your Pac-10 games so lame. The announcers were so bored they started talking about Zona's homecoming.

I could say the same about the LSU/Auburn game. If LSU actually had an offense, they would've dispatched Auburn. Lee/Jefferson can't throw worth a lick. Can't wait to watch Oregon vs. LSU in the Cowboy Classic next year after their "tough defense" being displayed tonight.

Now entertaining was Oregon/UCLA on Thursday. Touchdowns every 2 minutes.

[quote name='MasterSun1']That was an impressive run. But guess what, you're not a "tough defense" if you give up that many yards to a quarterback, no matter how athletic he is.

Yeah, you who clearly has it out for the Pac-10 thinks Auburn should be #1 when the majority of the people voting that actually know football has Oregon at #1 by a wide margin. lordopus99 >>>>> the media.

I could say the same about the LSU/Auburn game. If LSU actually had an offense, they would've dispatched Auburn. Lee/Jefferson can't throw worth a lick. Can't wait to watch Oregon vs. LSU in the Cowboy Classic next year after their "tough defense" being displayed tonight.[/QUOTE]

I guess you read wrong. Here is a sample from Olin Bunchanen of Rivals.com (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1143331)...

[quote name='Olin']Behind Heisman front-runner Cameron Newton, the unbeaten Tigers sliced through LSU's defense on Saturday for a 24-17 victory so impressive that anyone with average eyesight can see Auburn should be at the forefront of the national championship race. [/QUOTE]

Your eyesight must be skewed. What's your source, the Oregon Ducks student newspaper :lol:

[quote name='Olin']Last week, Auburn was fourth in the BCS standings, behind Oklahoma, Oregon and Boise State. But no one can mount a serious argument that they're better than this Auburn team, which rolled up 526 yards on the third-ranked defense in the nation. [/QUOTE]

Key word: "THIRD-RANKED". He posted those numbers on one of the BEST defenses in the country.

[quote name='Olin']But this was no track meet. It wasn't like Oregon's 60-13 blasting of struggling UCLA on Thursday night. Auburn's win actually was a hard-fought, testosterone-testing victory with about as much finesse as a back-alley gang fight. [/QUOTE]

Good to see others in the media think the same thing about how much a joke your game was :lol:

Also, on last night's sportscenter, Brad Edwards thinks Auburn will be #1. We will find out soon enough.

Now entertaining was Oregon/UCLA on Thursday. Touchdowns every 2 minutes.

Far from entertaining... so much that fans leave stadiums shortly after halftime in those type of games. You wonder why your games aren't nationally televised here on the east coast since your beating by Boise St... it's because you play no ones. Hey at least you might get a couple games now that you are getting closer to teams that could cause an upset (i.e. @USC, Zona, @Oregon St).

Either way, I hope your team gets paired in a bowl with Boise St so I can see Kellen Moore and company go wild on you guys again. Now that was entertaining. :D

Give at rest Opus. Your killing this thread like Wildpac killed the pro sports threads with all his stupid shit talking.

One of many problems with college football is that schedules are very unbalanced so there's really no way to know who's better than who. Compounded by not having a playoff, which is further compounded by having human polls determine so much of who plays for a title.

All teams can do is beat the team in front of them. If you play a soft schedule, beating the piss out of everyone like Oregon and Boise State have helps as it at least shows they're a lot better than their competition.

Are they better than Auburn? Hard to say. They play very different styles. For any body against Oregon it will be a question of whether they can slow down their offense enough.

Hopefully all these teams lose and leave Boise and TCU as the only unbeatens. Then all the major conferences will be pissed more receptive to a playoff if those two play for the title. And if one or both get left our, then you'll have congress back on the antitrust angle for the BCS not giving the smaller conferences a fair chance.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Give at rest Opus. Your killing this thread like Wildpac killed the pro sports threads with all his stupid shit talking.

One of many problems with college football is that schedules are very unbalanced so there's really no way to know who's better than who. Compounded by not having a playoff, which is further compounded by having human polls determine so much of who plays for a title.

All teams can do is beat the team in front of them. If you play a soft schedule, beating the piss out of everyone like Oregon and Boise State have helps as it at least shows they're a lot better than their competition.

Are they better than Auburn? Hard to say. They play very different styles. For any body against Oregon it will be a question of whether they can slow down their offense enough.

Hopefully all these teams lose and leave Boise and TCU as the only unbeatens. Then all the major conferences will be pissed more receptive to a playoff if those two play for the title. And if one or both get left our, then you'll have congress back on the antitrust angle for the BCS not giving the smaller conferences a fair chance.[/QUOTE]

Killing the thread... kind of harsh since this thread was ice cold prior to the conversations between MasterSun and I. Unlike Wildcpac, I don't create personal attacks and am inform i.e. I watch games/sportscenter and read articles unlike him who felt attacked when Lebron decided to go to Miami (which I warned him about prior to free agency).

As for the rest of your comments, we can hope that happens but I still see Boise St and TCU getting shafted either way, as the bowl system is all about making money and Boise St/TCU/Utah isn't going to provide that, even if one of them could really be the best team in the country. Like you, I pray and hope the BCS contract is not renewed so that we can hope for a "march madness" playoff type of experience. I would love this so the teams can truly prove they are the best team in the country. It would stop me from feeling that the best teams in the country are playing in lesser bowls.

[quote name='lordopus99']Either way, I hope your team gets paired in a bowl with Boise St so I can see Kellen Moore and company go wild on you guys again. Now that was entertaining. :D[/QUOTE]

Did you even watch that game? I seem to remember BSU only managing to put up 300 total yards or so despite holding the ball for 45 minutes against an Oregon team that spent most of the game shooting itself in the foot. Though my memory may be colored by the black hole of awfulness that was our offense in that game.

But I agree that Auburn should be #1 in this week's rankings.

[quote name='lordopus99']Key word: "THIRD-RANKED". He posted those numbers on one of the BEST defenses in the country.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm an Auburn fan, so I'm bound to be a bit biased. I do think LSU has a good defense, and Auburn has a good offense. But look at who LSU has played this season so far, their defense was bound to look good. I think Auburn still has a lot to prove (at least defensively), and the season isn't over yet. I don't think we're quite deserving of #1 yet, but definitely 2-3.

[quote name='dmaul1114']All teams can do is beat the team in front of them. If you play a soft schedule, beating the piss out of everyone like Oregon and Boise State have helps as it at least shows they're a lot better than their competition.

Are they better than Auburn? Hard to say. They play very different styles. For any body against Oregon it will be a question of whether they can slow down their offense enough[/QUOTE]

Until there is a playoff, this is true. I of all people would hate to see another 2004 (see Auburn) happen to anyone, but as long as this archaic system stays in place you have to take what you get. One can never truly have true bragging rights until such a system is in place. And I'm not sure if it'll ever really happen due to the big heads that are in charge of such a system. Everyone knows it's outdated, but the people benefiting from it obviously don't want it to change.

[quote name='lordopus99']Key word: "THIRD-RANKED". He posted those numbers on one of the BEST defenses in the country.[/QUOTE]

That "3rd ranked" defense (prior to Auburn) played teams that are playing .500 ball. Only one of those teams now are ranked (Mississippi at #24). Don't bring up the rankings of the teams when they beat them as that doesn't mean anything compared to what their actual records are now.

Good to see others in the media think the same thing about how much a joke your game was :lol:

Nice of you to quote 1 person. Oregon has 50 1st-place votes in the Coaches poll and Auburn has 3. That one person knows more about football than all the other voters combined! ::sigh::

Also, on last night's sportscenter, Brad Edwards thinks Auburn will be #1. We will find out soon enough.

I predicted this as well since the computers will love Auburn while not Oregon. Makes no difference to me as Oregon is #2 and won't drop if they win out. In fact, they'll just move up if they take care of business, likely to #1 by the end of the season.

You wonder why your games aren't nationally televised here on the east coast since your beating by Boise St... it's because you play no ones.

Stanford was on national TV. So was UCLA. And USC will be this weekend.

Either way, I hope your team gets paired in a bowl with Boise St so I can see Kellen Moore and company go wild on you guys again. Now that was entertaining. :D

Nice of you to live in the past. Different teams back then. A 37-32 victory in '08 (with the QB knocked out from an illegal spear) and a 19-8 victory in '09 HARDLY count as going "wild". How about 2009 Sugar Bowl with Utah and Alabama. Boy that was a bunch of Mormons going wild!

[quote name='lordopus99']As for the rest of your comments, we can hope that happens but I still see Boise St and TCU getting shafted either way, as the bowl system is all about making money and Boise St/TCU/Utah isn't going to provide that, even if one of them could really be the best team in the country. Like you, I pray and hope the BCS contract is not renewed so that we can hope for a "march madness" playoff type of experience. I would love this so the teams can truly prove they are the best team in the country. It would stop me from feeling that the best teams in the country are playing in lesser bowls.[/QUOTE]

It's not getting shafted if there are 2 undefeated teams from BCS conferences at the end of the season. Based on who they've played, those teams have a body of work that deserves higher consideration for a title game over Boise State, TCU, or Utah. Yeah, the system sucks. But do you honestly believe those teams could run the table in the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, or Big 12? They could in the ACC or Big East, lol. I think they would compete year-in and year-out, but to run the table? But you're right, it sucks they don't get a chance.

[quote name='MasterSun1']It's not getting shafted if there are 2 undefeated teams from BCS conferences at the end of the season. Based on who they've played, those teams have a body of work that deserves higher consideration for a title game over Boise State, TCU, or Utah. Yeah, the system sucks. But do you honestly believe those teams could run the table in the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, or Big 12? They could in the ACC or Big East, lol. I think they would compete year-in and year-out, but to run the table? But you're right, it sucks they don't get a chance.[/QUOTE]

The current undefeated Big Six conference schools still have opportunities to lose so I wouldn't think it is clear cut that 2 of those schools finish undefeated.
Auburn has @Alabama and depending on that game a ticket to the SEC championship
Oregon has @USC, Zona, @Oregon St
Mich St has @Iowa; as a team they have been known to choke against lesser teams
Mizzou has @Nebraska and a chance at the Big 12 championship

Personally the past two years of Boise St teams I believe could have run the table in all but the SEC. Their win last year against your team was very impressive. Their wins (VT & Oregon St) this year were pretty good as well.

[quote name='lordopus99']Personally the past two years of Boise St teams I believe could have run the table in all but the SEC. Their win last year against your team was very impressive. Their wins (VT & Oregon St) this year were pretty good as well.[/QUOTE]

We have a difference of opinion there. They beat Oregon last year, but with 19 points. Not that hard to do against a team without a QB that could throw at the time. While VT has rebounded, that loss to James Madison is the elephant in the room. Oregon State lost to a below average Washington. So both of those wins, though good at the time, have been diminished. Boise State still needs to beat Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii.

[quote name='MasterSun1']We have a difference of opinion there. They beat Oregon last year, but with 19 points. Not that hard to do against a team without a QB that could throw at the time. While VT has rebounded, that loss to James Madison is the elephant in the room. Oregon State lost to a below average Washington. So both of those wins, though good at the time, have been diminished. Boise State still needs to beat Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii.[/QUOTE]

The win against Oregon... come on man. LeGarrette Blount posted 1000 yards the previous season (78 yards/game) splitting carries. He came into that season against Boise St and was held to a terrible -5 yards. Jeremiah Masoli posted 708 yards rushing the previous season as well and was held to 14 yards. Offensively, Boise St posted 361 yards to Oregon's 152 yards; Time of Possession Boise St's 42:32 to Oregon's 17:28. This is what we call a complete shutdown. They took Oregon's top two playmakers completely out of the game.
As for throwing, both teams play a form of a spread/option playbook, in other words neither team really throws. Masoli can throw when needed to.

[quote name='lordopus99']The win against Oregon... come on man. LeGarrette Blount posted 1000 yards the previous season (78 yards/game) splitting carries. He came into that season against Boise St and was held to a terrible -5 yards. Jeremiah Masoli posted 708 yards rushing the previous season as well and was held to 14 yards. Offensively, Boise St posted 361 yards to Oregon's 152 yards; Time of Possession Boise St's 42:32 to Oregon's 17:28. This is what we call a complete shutdown. They took Oregon's top two playmakers completely out of the game.

As for throwing, both teams play a form of a spread/option playbook, in other words neither team really throws. Masoli can throw when needed to.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Darron Thomas this year? He's an actual QB, not a RB posing as QB which is what Masoli was. I'm surprised Oregon won as many games as they did last year with him at the helm. It's not hard to stop the run when you didn't have to worry about the pass.

As for time of possession, notice how that's a stats that's really irrelevant to Oregon? Ask UCLA about the time of possession in that game.

[quote name='MasterSun1']It's not hard to stop the run when you didn't have to worry about the pass.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was WVU's one flaw during the great run from 2005-2007. Pat White wasn't a passer so we always lost a game or two (and thus a chance at a title) from losing to teams like USF or Pitt that had solved the power spread by stacking the box and having corners good enough to guard our receivers one on one (which wasn't tough as we didn't have a passing QB or great talent at WR other than Darius Reynaud).

[quote name='MasterSun1']As for time of possession, notice how that's a stats that's really irrelevant to Oregon? Ask UCLA about the time of possession in that game.[/QUOTE]

I brought it up because you brought up the 19 points. Boise St could of score more if they wanted but they were trying to keep Oregon's offense off the field. Completely different than the UCLA scenario...

That doesn't make any sense...they had the ball for 42 minutes and could only score 19 points. You don't hold the ball for that long and only score 19 points. They had tons of missed FGs, and didn't convert on 3rd downs. If you ask me, neither team was impressive that night, Boise St. just happened to play the less shitty game of football.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hopefully all these teams lose and leave Boise and TCU as the only unbeatens. Then all the major conferences will be pissed more receptive to a playoff if those two play for the title. And if one or both get left our, then you'll have congress back on the antitrust angle for the BCS not giving the smaller conferences a fair chance.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='lordopus99']I brought it up because you brought up the 19 points. Boise St could of score more if they wanted but they were trying to keep Oregon's offense off the field. Completely different than the UCLA scenario...[/QUOTE]

Thu, Sep 3 (16) Oregon W 19-8 --
Sat, Sep 12 Miami (OH) W 48-0 --
Fri, Sep 18 at Fresno State W 51-34 --
Sat, Sep 26 at Bowling Green W 49-14 --
Sat, Oct 3 UC Davis W 34-16 --
Wed, Oct 14 at Tulsa W 28-21 --
Sat, Oct 24 at Hawaii W 54-9 --
Sat, Oct 31 San Jose State W 45-7 --
Fri, Nov 6 at Louisiana Tech W 45-35 --
Sat, Nov 14 Idaho W 63-25 --
Fri, Nov 20 at Utah State W 52-21 --
Fri, Nov 27 Nevada W 44-33 --
Sat, Dec 5 New Mexico State W 42-7 --

Biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Keeping them off the field? What a joke. Here I've laid out all the other scores of their games last year. If they were that much better than Oregon and Oregon was that terrible, why was the score 19-8 instead of 42-7, or 51-21, etc. Oregon's defense kept them in that game and held Boise State well below their scoring potential.

Boise State had 14 drives that ended with 2 missed FGs, 3 punts, 3 fumbles, 2 TDs, 1 FG, 1 TO on downs, and time running out at halftime/end of the game (0:13 and 5:03 drives). It had nothing to do with Boise State trying to keep Oregon's offense off the field by sustaining long drives.

Fact is, that was one ugly game that Boise State won because they actually had a quarterback.

And WVU loses last night in OT to UCONN. Glad I decided to play the 31x XP Gears 2 event instead of watching!

Hopefully that's enough to get a coaching change at years end. Definitely some more losses in store if they cant beat Cuse or UCONN.

What is with my QB choking at the 4 yard line game winning drive by not giving a clean handoff. Now to hope that NC State ends the season with a worse record than us.

And Oregon keeps on rolling. USC wilted in the second half. If Auburn can win out (not sure they'll beat 'Bama though), that would be one exciting BCS Championship game.

[quote name='Magus8472']Can't say I understand why Oregon's computer rankings jumped up so much, but I'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Auburn smacked up Miss just like Oregon did with USC. You would think the two of them would still be in the same position.

bread's done
Back