Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Great to see UCF win their first ever bowl game. And it was against Georgia!!! I had my doubts that my alma mater could win this, but it is an awesome victory for UCF.

Blowout total to date: 14 (out of 27 games)... Way to go BCS committee of setting up competitive games.

Alabama slaughtered Mich St. Monster hits on everyone and their momma. 2 QBs down. Mark by McElroy looking like a way better QB than he has ever played.

[quote name='lordopus99']What a great way to ring in the new year watching my team take down a good South Carolina team. Greg Reid was a beast. 2 Force Fumbles, 4 Pass Breakups, and 1 TKO (see spoiler).

The Washington win was a shock. I think Notre Dame's domination on Miami to be the biggest shock this bowl season so far for me.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea you were also a Seminoles fan. No wonder we get along so well on BC2! haha

[quote name='HydroX']I had no idea you were also a Seminoles fan. No wonder we get along so well on BC2! haha[/QUOTE]

I went to school there. Loved every moment. It's good to see the team finally doing good again after a couple really bad years when Mark Richt left.

In other news...
Rich Rodriguez has been fired. My guess is the ole Stanford coach might head towards his old alma mater. If that happens, bye bye Luck and Stanford back to mediocrisy.

[quote name='lordopus99']I went to school there. Loved every moment. It's good to see the team finally doing good again after a couple really bad years when Mark Richt left.

In other news...
Rich Rodriguez has been fired. My guess is the ole Stanford coach might head towards his old alma mater. If that happens, bye bye Luck and Stanford back to mediocrisy.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly Harbaugh is more interested in the NFL anyways.

Looking back and reading the pre-season poll just makes me Lulz pretty hard at the teams that are in there. God I wish they'd only release a poll like 3 weeks minimum into the season.

Finally, all that 0-8 or 0-9 vs the SEC in bowls games stuff has been put to rest. Good job guys and GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

As for Harbaugh, I think he either stays at Stanford or goes to 49ers (or maybe the Raiders). Granted, the Panthers are possible if they plan on drafting Luck number one. However, it seems Harbaugh likes the west coast so I don't see him heading east.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Supposedly Harbaugh is more interested in the NFL anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ESPN reported yesterday that it was highly unlikely he'd go to Michigan (doesn't get along with the AD apparently) and that if he stay's at the college level he will stay at Stanford.

Probably 49ers or Raiders. Raiders would be stupid for him--but apparently he's close with Al Davis.

49ers have been mentioned a lot, but they are interviewing the Raider's offensive coordinator. So who knows, maybe that's part of why Davis fired Cable, and maybe he already has Harbaugh lined up.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Finally, all that 0-8 or 0-9 vs the SEC in bowls games stuff has been put to rest. Good job guys and GO BUCKS!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Congrats. Arkansas almost took the win. The last couple of years it has been a big joke for Ohio St to play in any major bowl. Just my opinion. Look at their competition this year against other SEC schools...
Alabama 49 Mich St 7
Miss St 52 Mich 14
UF 37 Penn St 24

SEC smashed the Big 10 (138-45). So Big 10... 3 of 8... not good. If factor Nebraska (future Big10-er), then the conference went 3 of 9. :cold:

[quote name='lordopus99']
SEC smashed the Big 10 (138-45). So Big 10... 3 of 8... not good. If factor Nebraska (future Big10-er), then the conference went 3 of 9. :cold:[/QUOTE]

No, the SEC smashed the state of Michigan, you take out the 2 schools up north and there's 80 points of that spread right there. Michigan should have never been playing that level of competition, but MSU, god they were completely embarrassed.

4 more days til I'll be in Phoenix/Glendale. Can't wait. The closer I get, the more hopeful I become, but in the back of my mind, I still think Cam Newton's play will definitively decide the outcome of the game.

[quote name='lordopus99']Congrats. Arkansas almost took the win. The last couple of years it has been a big joke for Ohio St to play in any major bowl. Just my opinion. Look at their competition this year against other SEC schools...
Alabama 49 Mich St 7
Miss St 52 Mich 14
UF 37 Penn St 24

SEC smashed the Big 10 (138-45). So Big 10... 3 of 8... not good. If factor Nebraska (future Big10-er), then the conference went 3 of 9. :cold:[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that, the Big Ten definitely needs to catch up with Ohio State. However, you can only play the teams on your schedule and now back to back, Ohio State has beat two very good teams. Oregon last year and Arkansas this year in bowl games. Ohio State doesn't schedule all out of conference cupcakes either: NC State, Texas Tech, Washington, Washington State, Texas, USC, and Miami in the past decade. Next year they play Miami again and then I believe starting in 2012 play Oklahoma home/away. I would love to see Ohio State schedule some SEC schools for home/away in the future. Ohio State is 7-2-1 vs. SEC teams in the regular season so bring it on! :)

Just to be fair, Ohio State never played Michigan State so that's null in void. Bama played one of their best games all season long last Saturday and Michigan State just ran into a buzzsaw. Michigan has good offense and no defense so that didn't surprise me at all. Penn State came the closest and lost several players to graduation included their QB just like Florida. Florida has better talent all around but Penn State will be back. Nebraska at times looked amazing this year and other times not so amazing (like several teams).

This year the SEC definitely gave a whooping to the Big Ten (except for OSU). The strange thing is when the rest of the Big Ten does well against the SEC in bowl games Ohio State loses. This year the rest of conference finally does horrible and Ohio State wins.

I'm very interested to see how LSU does tomorrow and of course how Auburn does on Monday.

Stubhub offered me my full purchase price with all shipping and service fees fully refunded back to me + $2,500 per ticket for my BCS tix.

I countered back with $4k and I'm in :)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Stubhub offered me my full purchase price with all shipping and service fees fully refunded back to me + $2,500 per ticket for my BCS tix.

I countered back with $4k and I'm in :)[/QUOTE]

Don't get greedy, if you're not going, that's a HELL of a deal

Andrew Luck is returning for his redshirt junior season. Bit of a surprise since he was pretty much a sure thing for #1 overall pick.

But as a huge college football fan, and only a casual NFL fan, I'm always happy to see star players stick around.

[quote name='QiG']Don't get greedy, if you're not going, that's a HELL of a deal[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what to do. I've been an Oregon all my life and this is once in a lifetime.

I've had my flight, hotel and tickets all ready to go for weeks and weeks and weeks now. I can't tell you how many articles I've read, or how much coverage I've watched in anticipation for the game. I even go home for lunch at 12 everyday so I can watch CFB Live on ESPN.

$2,500 really puts me at 50/50. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of things, after my flight and hotel costs, what's $2,000? I might go buy something nice, then put the rest into my account and never think about it again.

I'm waiting to hear back from them, otherwise I'm going to Glendale.

This whole Randy Edsall/UConn/Maryland situation is amazing. He didn't fly home with his team after the bowl game, didn't tell his coordinators about going to Maryland, and didn't tell his new recruits that are a couple of weeks away from being locked in at UConn when the semester starts. There's even a big story about their big new QB recruit who was wooed by Edsall into coming to UConn and was informed about his leaving from his high school assistant coach.

Junior wide receiver Kashif Moore expressed disappointment with Edsall's decision, but said he understood it.

"It's disappointing but at the same time, Coach Edsall has done so much for the program," Moore said. "I love him as a person and what he did for us after Jazz [ Jasper Howard] was killed.

"I respect him for that but at the end of the day, and I learned this when I was getting recruited, this is a business. We can't ever forget that."

Moore, who wore Howard's No. 6 in the Fiesta Bowl as a tribute to his former teammate, who was killed in a 2009 campus stabbing, said that after the captains and Todman spoke Saturday, Edsall said nothing about possibly leaving.

"I mean, he could have told us then," Moore said.

Moore was not on the UConn team's charter flight home from Phoenix, but a freshman player who was said the team's assistant coaches were surprised when they learned Edsall was leaving.

"[Edsall] made Jordan address the team to say he was leaving, and he isn't man enough to do it face to face to us?" said the player, who did not want to be identified.

"As we were landing and turned on our phones, we all started getting text messages from people saying, 'Hey, have you heard? What do you think? What's going on?'

"All the [assistant coaches] were on the plane, and they didn't know."

There were no more than 25 players on the Huskies' charter flight. Since UConn is semester break, many players went home their own way.

The freshman player said Edsall held an impromptu conference call from Maryland with a few of the players who were on the plane after it landed.

"We were on hold for a half-hour, with the operations manager telling us Edsall would be coming on in a few minutes," the freshman player said. "When Edsall came on he was like, "I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry I can't do this in person, but due to circumstances … I just want to let you know that it's not because of you guys. But it's an opportunity for my family. … I can move on feeling like I've accomplished things here and I'm leaving the program in a good way."

The player said Edsall added: "Guys, this just happened. It was a spur of the moment thing. I had no idea."
http://articles.courant.com/2011-01...102_1_coach-edsall-randy-edsall-kashif-moore/

[quote name='dmaul1114']Andrew Luck is returning for his redshirt junior season. Bit of a surprise since he was pretty much a sure thing for #1 overall pick.

But as a huge college football fan, and only a casual NFL fan, I'm always happy to see star players stick around.[/QUOTE]

It's good for college football but bad for his career. If Harbaugh leaves, he will spend next year learning a new scheme and might no longer look like a top pick. Add into the fact that this could be the last year for high rookie salaries in NFL, he could lose out on lots of money.

[quote name='lordopus99']It's good for college football but bad for his career. If Harbaugh leaves, he will spend next year learning a new scheme and might no longer look like a top pick. Add into the fact that this could be the last year for high rookie salaries in NFL, he could lose out on lots of money.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing Harbaugh is staying. He turned down the dolphin's who were offering to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL (more than $7.5 million).

The 49ers were offering $5 million, so I can't see him taking that after turning down the Dolphins. I'm guessing with Luck staying Harbaugh decided to stay at Stanford for at least one more year.

In any case, Luck is from a relatively wealthy family so it's not like they're hard up for money like a lot of these kids. And they already said he was getting a big payout insurance policy to cover any injuries etc.

[quote name='lordopus99']It's good for college football but bad for his career. If Harbaugh leaves, he will spend next year learning a new scheme and might no longer look like a top pick. Add into the fact that this could be the last year for high rookie salaries in NFL, he could lose out on lots of money.[/QUOTE]

Very true, just look at Bradford. He was extremely lucky that his injury was not career ending and didn't effect his draft status one bit. For Luck's sake, I hope Harbaugh stays at Stanford.

Looks like Luck and his family value education more than football and money, which is great on their part, but stupid from outsiders' perspectives. I don't think money is an issue with him and his family, but after reading that article about how much he might lose due to a new CBA (~$40 million projected), it seems like it's a bad choice.

Then again, I'm poor and don't have the skills to play pro football.

[quote name='lordopus99']Harbaugh has officially left; signed with the 49ers.

Time for Luck to learn a new playbook.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. They could always hire the OC as HC. Or get a HC that will keep him on etc.

Well just as predicted earlier in this thread... LSU destroyed #17 team in the country last night. Add another to the blowout tally: 18 of 32. I am sick of seeing games over by halftime.

[quote name='lordopus99']Well just as predicted earlier in this thread... LSU destroyed #17 team in the country last night. Add another to the blowout tally: 18 of 32. I am sick of seeing games over by halftime.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it was interesting for awhile then LSU woke up.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I think Harbaugh was the oc.[/QUOTE]

He may have called plays, but David Shaw was OC and running back coach and players are lobbying for him to get the job.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stan-m-footbl-mtt.html#coaches

In any case, they ran a pretty straight forward pro-style offense so I doubt Luck will have much new offense to learn in any case as they aren't going to go out and higher a spread guy or anything.

Pretty good first half, with a very odd 16-11 halftime score. Two TDs and a safety for Auburn. Oregon inexplicably ran a fake extra point play and got a two point conversion on their TD.

I remember someone questioned Auburn's D (2 interceptions, 1 safety, plenty of sacks/hurries).

Honestly though it is a better game so far than I originally expected.

Indeed. Hate seeing Auburn win.

But good game. Not what I expected with two top 10 offenses and two mediocre defenses, but still a great game!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Indeed. Hate seeing Auburn win.

But good game. Not what I expected with two top 10 offenses and two mediocre defenses, but still a great game![/QUOTE]

As an SEC guy, I don't mind seeing them win. I just know it's almost pointless because more details will likely come out in a year or two, and all these wins will be vacated.

Great Game.

Just like I stated earlier... SEC is known for defense. One of the worst d's in the SEC held the "high powered" Oregon offense to 19 points. I will give it up to Oregon's defense. They really came to play tonight and exceeded what I thought (i.e. I originally thought this would be a blowout in favor to Auburn).

5 National Championships in a row for the SEC.

Congratulations to Auburn for winning a close, but ugly game. Too many mistakes for both teams, but ultimately Oregon made a ton more that ended costing them the game. Surprised the refs didn't blow the whistle on that run, but the right call was made.

And using the last timeout was a bonehead call by Chip Kelly. Give up the 3 and have a chance at a kick return with ~7 seconds left or field a squib kick for one Hail Mary. Instead they never even get a chance.

Surprised at the lowing scoring affair, but both defenses played lights out today. However, Auburn deserved to win that game since Oregon kept using a DE to play man-cover a WR or TE.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Congratulations to Auburn for winning a close, but ugly game. Too many mistakes for both teams, but ultimately Oregon made a ton more that ended costing them the game. Surprised the refs didn't blow the whistle on that run, but the right call was made.

And using the last timeout was a bonehead call by Chip Kelly. Give up the 3 and have a chance at a kick return with ~7 seconds left or field a squib kick for one Hail Mary. Instead they never even get a chance.

Surprised at the lowing scoring affair, but both defenses played lights out today. However, Auburn deserved to win that game since Oregon kept using a DE to play man-cover a WR or TE.[/QUOTE]

Too many mistakes??? Oregon played their offensive game like they have all year with run first spread offense. The difference is they hadn't played more than 1 good team all season so they weren't expecting to play a decent/good defense (like I mentioned earlier, the Pac-10 is an offensive league, little to no defense, with only 2 good teams, Oregon and Stanford). Auburn on the other hand played close games all season against good teams (see Bama's blowout of Mich St, LSU's blowout of Texas A&M, Miss St's blowout of Mich, ... you get the drift).

The only bad thing for both teams were some slips that could have a resulted in first downs or more (more of the big plays were in favor of Auburn). Besides that, Oregon could never start the running game that got them to that point (see the 4 stops around goalline). They kept trying for it and it just never got working. As for an extra kickoff, it wouldn't have changed the end result (swift kick, 1 hail mary knockdown, gameover).

As for the last comment, most of the passing for Auburn came from your CB Harris playing too deep on the receivers he guarded. The announcers made plenty comments towards him the whole game by playing lax on WRs.

But the positive is that you return alot of your guys.

[quote name='lordopus99']Too many mistakes???[/QUOTE]

Auburn had a great defense, but yes, too many mistakes. The interception on a sideline throw to LaMichael James was a bad, high throw that was Thomas' fault. The other interception was a forced turnover on Auburn's part with Fairley's pressure, but DT shouldn't have forced it and needed to either take the sack or throw the ball at the feet of the receiver. Lastly, having the DE Kenny Rowe guarding a TE or WR was arguably the worst defensive play calling I have ever seen.

As for an extra kickoff, it wouldn't have changed the end result (swift kick, 1 hail mary knockdown, gameover).

Anything can happen was long as there is time on the clock and it's a one possession game.

As for the last comment, most of the passing for Auburn came from your CB Harris playing too deep on the receivers he guarded. The announcers made plenty comments towards him the whole game by playing lax on WRs.

The big plays from Auburn's passing was not because of Cliff Harris. He came up with an interception and nearly another one. It was all Kenny Rowe from dropping off and having to guard people he has no business guarding. ESPN highlighted it many times.

Also, I give Fairley all the credit in the world (though he is a dirty player). Thomas made pretty much all the wrong reads on the Zone Read and Triple Option plays which made it easy for Fairley. That and the Oregon's O-line couldn't block him when they needed to.

[quote name='lordopus99']They really need to start hosting the national championship in a dome. The slips are numerous for both teams.[/QUOTE]

The problem lies in that the field was only about a week old. You can't lay down grass and expect it to set in that short of a period.

I was surprised to finally see Auburn have a stout defense, but when you have 4 weeks to prepare for one team maybe it's not so surprising. And with both teams I feel as the defense was fairly solid making important stops all throughout the game.

But I don't have much else to say other than War Eagle. This will be an enjoyable year of gloating in Alabama.

[quote name='MasterSun1']The interception on a sideline throw to LaMichael James was a bad, high throw that was Thomas' fault.[/QUOTE]

First off, the pass was to Barner, it was catchable, and he tip it. Yes, Thomas overthrew some receivers but it is expected as being a QB. No one is perfect. Cam Newton overthrew receivers as well. A few which would have given them touchdowns.

The other interception was a forced turnover on Auburn's part with Fairley's pressure, but DT shouldn't have forced it and needed to either take the sack or throw the ball at the feet of the receiver.

QBs try to make plays before a sack. It happens for all teams all the time. A mistake... yes... but also a possible big play. Newton did the opposite. He gain 15 yards via a pass when almost sacked in the backfield.

The mistakes you listed could have been avoided but none were as big play as the drop by Smith (Auburn) in the end zone. Another TD avoided was a overthrow by Newton on a receiver who was way behind the secondary. Auburn could have had a 3rd pick which was dropped midfield. If you considering these points, Auburn had worst "mistakes". Personally, I don't consider them mistakes. Everything happens for a reason. The outcome of the game is the outcome... No need for excuses.

Also, I give Fairley all the credit in the world (though he is a dirty player). Thomas made pretty much all the wrong reads on the Zone Read and Triple Option plays which made it easy for Fairley. That and the Oregon's O-line couldn't block him when they needed to.

Correction: The O-Line didn't TRY to block him. The majority of the time he was unblocked. That was just purely crazy for me as he won the Lombardi Award.

But all in all, it was a fun game to watch. Good luck next year.

Now that Auburn helped the SEC win a 5th consecutive championships, are you going to change your stance on realizing that the SEC is the best conference in college football?

EDIT: Glad to see my team ended the season #17 in the AP.

The SEC is clearly the best league. I hate it and would like someone one else to step up as I hate the fucking south even more after moving down here for work, but it's clearly the dominant league.

Sucks even more being a fan of a Big Least team. Wish that fucking league would die already, but unlikely with TCU coming in and looking at adding a couple more teams.

best I've seen Dyer play all season. Auburn's D played solid. Cam just wasn't all there though. Auburn has kept fans on the edge of their seats all season long so I guess this game was no different. I'm proud for my undergrad alma mater!

bread's done
Back