Official 7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset announced

[quote name='GTmaster39']As long as your amp has an input and an output with those right and left channels that adapter should work for the output.[/QUOTE]

I just checked since my Sony receiver is old and I don't see any audio output. I already have my PS3 plugged in the Receiver with an optical cable but I think it has an 1/4 headphone jack in the front. I'm going to see if an adapter will work

[quote name='JG5253']I have and amp but it doesn't have a headphone jack but I'm guessing this will work right?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2[/QUOTE]

Where are you trying to connect that? I'm assuming it is the RCA line output connectors on the back of the receivers? That is a big no-no. You won't be able to control the volume levels and it will be very loud.

Why aren't you using the headphone jack you mentioned instead of going with that crazy idea above.

[quote name='laaj']Where are you trying to connect that? I'm assuming it is the RCA line output connectors on the back of the receivers? That is a big no-no. You won't be able to control the volume levels and it will be very loud.

Why aren't you using the headphone jack you mentioned instead of going with that crazy idea above.[/QUOTE]

I've never used it because I wasn't sure if it was a headphone jack but I think it is

[quote name='JG5253']I've never used it because I wasn't sure if it was a headphone jack but I think it is[/QUOTE]

You don't know what headphone jack looks like? Most headphone jacks people encounter are the mini type which is lot smaller, but full sized ones will be just like that but with a bigger hole.

Just search google if you want to know how it looks like.

[quote name='laaj']You don't know what headphone jack looks like? Most headphone jacks people encounter are the mini type which is lot smaller, but full sized ones will be just like that but with a bigger hole.

Just search google if you want to know how it looks like.[/QUOTE]

I know what a headphone jack looks like an I'm pretty sure it is since it says phones on there. Sorry like I said I'm kind of an idiot when it comes it to this

These are supposed to come out September 6 from my understanding. I think I will hold out over the Turtle Beach DPX21 once reviews are out.
What a great price for wireless surround, and the USB dongle makes it pretty portable compared to all these virtual surround wired headsets. But to buy a headphone that will only work on my PS3 and PC seems a bit wasteful. Plus the lack of surround for movies is a big minus.

I have this preordered from Amazon for $65... but despite the deal I think I'm gonna cancel. I'd be nice to have headphones, but I can survive without them... the biggest problem is I'm broke. I planned on trading my Wii and some games into GameStop for cash so I could get them... instead I traded them in for store credit and got Deus Ex... Goddammit...

This is the first review I've seen so far
http://gear.ign.com/articles/119/1192669p1.html

Does the Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset fail miserably? Not at all. Even with its faults, it's still a great value at $99 for players looking for a cheap and effective surround sound headset. Those looking for a more durable, more configurable, and better sounding solution might want to look elsewhere, but for this price, its unbeatable.
I don't like the fact that the build quality and surround are sub-par. Those were the two things I wanted to hear only positives on. Now I'm thinking I should get the DPX21's, wired or not.

EDIT: OK, now this review says the sound and build quality are great, but it feels more like hype than a real review. Plus, it's too vague about the surround sound quality.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/09/06/official-ps3-wireless-stereo-headset-review/

I might have to wait for a few more reviews to roll in before I decide. Anyone actually own them yet that can put their 2 cents in?

Last edited by a moderator:
paid $65 on amazon... just received them today and im impressed
good buy for the price

works for PC too

The headset is very interesting in appearance now that I have them and the build quality seems pretty good. It is not as comfortable as my Astros but for $100 it is damn good buy in comparison to others I've used such as the Tritons I used to have. The microphone really picks up everything I didn't need to extend it out since it was doing a fine job even picking up whispers, so keep that in mind if you are in a loud room or have a fan on, you will pick up the air being blown around if you are not careful.

All in all for $100 (even better if you can get it cheaper) it is a good deal if you don't already have a mic setup, or if you want a completely wireless unit.

Im happy with them for $65 for Wireless PS3 Gaming. But they do not hold a candle to my Pioneer Elite Receiver with Dolby Headphone driving my Audio Technica AD-700's which is why im not really worried about them not supporting Blu-Ray Surround.

I got my pair today from the amazon preorder.

I like them a lot so far I played for a few hours with them and they were comfortable the whole time. The virtual surround sound was good for me having never used any surround headsets before I am sure they don't compare to pricey sets but they aren't meant to.

I plugged them into my iBook and they sound great with music, nice bass but not over whelming. I have had a pair of sony studio monitors for years and they were always great but these wireless sound better, could be just from age though.

For $65 I am fully happy with them.

Where on amazon are you guys seeing it for $65? I'm getting $90.49 right now and when I checked yesterday (I was thinking about ordering) it was $99.

[quote name='monash65']Where on amazon are you guys seeing it for $65? I'm getting $90.49 right now and when I checked yesterday (I was thinking about ordering) it was $99.[/QUOTE]

$65 was the preorder price for the headset back in July.

I bought these for about $53 after a pricematch and then redeeming some RewardZone points at BestBuy. They are pretty comfortable, they definitely feel better than I was expecting. But my ears seem to sweat after using them for a while.
-The sound quality is OK, a bit too much bass for my liking. I prefer more neutral sound that can be tweaked if liked, but there's no EQ settings. Also the volume is loud, I place the volume on the lowest setting when using them. But that's a good thing, it means it has room to get pretty loud if needed.
-I find the microphone annoying, it sticks out way too much when I'm not using it. I wish it would fold up or slide in completely when not in use, it is pretty flimsy so I'm just afraid it will break easily if mishandled even slightly.
-These headphones are very convenient to use, totally hassle free plug and play. But one annoyance is the USB dongle it comes with. I hate dongles, and apart from leaving it constantly plugged in to one of my PS3 systems, I wish the headphones had a little storage slot for it when not in use. The kind of thing you see on portable computer mice so you don't lose it and gives the headphones a little more portability.
-The biggest annoyance is the whole virtual surround setting. It works for games, MP3's, and video files such as DIVX's. It even works for downloaded PSN Video Store movies. So why can't it work for disc-based movies? I don't expect the surround sound in a movie to be great since virtual surround is a gimmick. But still...

If you can get these for less than $70 I'd say it's a good deal.

Anyone get simulated surround in PC games. I have flipped a windows setting to enable virtual surround but I really don't have any way of knowing if it is actually creating a simulated surround experience. I've googled this to death.

Can anyone help me with my headset? I'm thinking I must be just overlooking something simple.

So I bought these headphones and when I opened the box I plugged them in right away. The red light on the mic lit up and turned off after about 2.5 hours. I wasn't ready to use them so I left them plugged in for a total of 3 hours or so. I then tried turning them on by holding in the button for a few seconds. I assume the light lights up blue when it is on, but no light., I called customer support and they claimed I didn't have it charged all the way and it won't turn on unless I charge it for 3 hours straight. Idiot. 1) That's stupid. 2) I DID have it charged for 3 hours. They said there couldn't be any other explanation. Useless fools...

So I got a replacement headset last night. I figured the button must be broken. So I charged the headset for over 3 hours (even though, again the light was only lit for a little over 2 hours). Same thing. I plug in the dongle, the light blinks on the dongle, I hold in the button on the headset and nothing. So I figure I can't have two duds. What am I doing wrong? Is there a different button I'm not seeing and I'm pressing the wrong button? I even tried resetting the dongle and headset and it does nothing...

Please help. :(

this probably sounds retarded but try the volume on the headset it is usually set all the way down when you buy them. Should be on the same side as the button there is one for Mic and one for volume to hear in game things.

Any suggestion is a good one. Unfortunately, I turned it all the way up and I still don't hear anything. And the setting in the XMB is set to have game audio and chat go through the headset, so it's not that.

Is my assumption correct that the mic light is supposed to light up blue when it turns on though? Because that doesn't even light up to start with... I'm at my wit's end. And CS are incompetent. Maybe I'll try calling them again tomorrow anyway...

[quote name='MorPhiend'] Is my assumption correct that the mic light is supposed to light up blue when it turns on though? Because that doesn't even light up to start with... I'm at my wit's end. And CS are incompetent. Maybe I'll try calling them again tomorrow anyway...[/QUOTE]

Yup, the mic light turns blue when turned on and linked with the Bluetooth USB dongle and turns red when charging.

Have you tried using it on your PC? If it works there, then your PS3 is the problem.

Are you sure you have it powered on? I only say that because I remember reading that turning the headset on or off is done by sliding one of the side pieces up or down, which is kind of odd.

Yes light blue means it is on.

The "button" on the side (basically the entire plastic part on right earpiece (with all the other controls) is the power button.

guy does okay job of explaining them and might help with some questions

[youtube]BEKs9U4HwXk[/youtube]

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I really should have bought this earlier..Anyone got any info on deals for this right now? Or maybe black friday?[/QUOTE]

If you're planning on buying Uncharted 3, you can get a $20 gaming coupon and the headset for $60 at k-mart. I think that's the best deal available currently. It's never dipped below $60, I think the best price it was at previously was $65? I could be wrong though.

[quote name='bjstucker']Yes light blue means it is on.

The "button" on the side (basically the entire plastic part on right earpiece (with all the other controls) is the power button.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Perfect explanation! I knew I was just missing something simple! I'm an idiot. Thanks, I had no idea the entire casing on that side was a button. It booted right up! :D

Thanks for the quick help everyone!

[quote name='MorPhiend']Wow. Perfect explanation! I knew I was just missing something simple! I'm an idiot. Thanks, I had no idea the entire casing on that side was a button. It booted right up! :D

Thanks for the quick help everyone![/QUOTE]

well that makes 2 of us then I stumbled upon it myself adjusting then I hear a beep ad learn that is the power lol. Good to see you got them working enjoy.:lol:

I really like the fact that these are wireless, just plug in the bluetooth dongle and go. Everything shows up on the PS3 status menu when you turn up the volume/mute so you can see the battery level. I get about 5-7 hours out of them playing BF3. The virtual surround sound is decent and while it doesn't get very loud or give you a lot of bass, you don't really need it.

I do think the mic could be more flexible and the mic volume is not adjustable up or down so you may end up a little quieter than usual but otherwise it's just fine.

If it needs to be recharged, you can plug it in like a PS3 controller and play with it plugged in.

[quote name='shiro13']I'm debating if I should get this or tritton or turtle beach.[/QUOTE]
Send me a pm with what you are looking ay. I have a tritton and tb setup and am still thinking about this with the u3 promo at Kmart.

[quote name='jmbreci']Send me a pm with what you are looking ay. I have a tritton and tb setup and am still thinking about this with the u3 promo at Kmart.[/QUOTE]
No hiss my friend, if it's there it's very little to my ears.

[quote name='jmbreci']Send me a pm with what you are looking ay. I have a tritton and tb setup and am still thinking about this with the u3 promo at Kmart.[/QUOTE]

ditto this. and my axpros may sit, since the cord kinda annoys me.

[quote name='Mad39er']No hiss my friend, if it's there it's very little to my ears.[/QUOTE]

good to know. with the kmart deal this may be a no brainer.

Just picked this badboy up today - do you guys leave your in-game settings to surround or home cinema? Or should I use the headphone option? Specifically I'm talking of BF3 - but also thinking ahead to Skyrim

[quote name='sunghost']If you're planning on buying Uncharted 3, you can get a $20 gaming coupon and the headset for $60 at k-mart. I think that's the best deal available currently. It's never dipped below $60, I think the best price it was at previously was $65? I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man. If they don't have any deals on it by itself, I'll go with your idea. So 60 for U3 and you get a 20 game coupon and within the same purchase you buy the ps3 headset for 60. Pretty nice.

Got this headset today at k-mart and I LOVE IT. I could walk around my room without tripping on the wire. The only problem I have is the bass but other than that, it's good.

[quote name='shiro13']Got this headset today at k-mart and I LOVE IT. I could walk around my room without tripping on the wire. The only problem I have is the bass but other than that, it's good.[/QUOTE]

Is there like no bass at all or just a little? I wanna get the headset cause it's wireless and cheap compared to other headsets but the bass is what is holding me back. :roll:

[quote name='KidSqueek']Is there like no bass at all or just a little? I wanna get the headset cause it's wireless and cheap compared to other headsets but the bass is what is holding me back. :roll:[/QUOTE]
The bass is alright, there's just not a lot of it. Your ear will not be sexually assaulted by the bass, it's more of a linear approach to keep the highs, mids and lows all sounding about the same without emphasizing one area more than the other. It's like standard tv speakers, you won't feel the boom but you'll hear it.

I feel like the bass is way too high for me when I have it on the virtual surround sound and on the maximum volume. I feel the boom when I play BF3 but I guess that's just me.

I had a friend of mine that was complaining that he couldn't feel the bass. I went to his house and found that he wasn't wearing the headset correctly if you look at the insides of the headset your see that it's shaped in a sort of way that the ear are suppose to be within the ear cups and at a small tilt. As for me playing a game like Warhammer where there is deep bass when you run I felt it was great in the headset

I got a pair of these yesterday and they are great. Love that they are wireless being that my tv and ps3 are on the other side of the bedroom. Now I can play games when I get home late at night from work and not disturb my fiancee. I'm even thinking about getting BF 3 or MW 3 to play using them.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the USB thing? I might have lost mine and would rather get a replacement if possible.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the USB thing? I might have lost mine and would rather get a replacement if possible.[/QUOTE]

Try calling Sony because I have not seen anyone sellign just the usb dongle.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the USB thing? I might have lost mine and would rather get a replacement if possible.[/QUOTE]
That f'ing dongle is so easy to lose, I lost it twice already. I know if I lose it again it'll be gone for good.

bread's done
Back