CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Interesting TIVs
please post date+time / console / title / tiv

Long Term

------- FAQ BELOW - LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE -------

condition stuff seemingly pulled back by amazon, spoilered until I can reorg
Notice 4/14/11: New shenanigans abound! There is now a condition field for all trades - all trades are set to "Good" and may be determined to be worse than that ("Acceptable") or better ("Like New"). During the trade-in confirmation process you may choose whether to have an item in worse condition returned to you or just processed at the lower value. It does appear that this might mean that NORAM will start taking games/consoles without original packaging / manuals / etc which might be beneficial to some.

We'll see how this works out! To be added to the core FAQ after its newness wears off.

condition_example.png

Amazon.com Trade-in Home Page

Welcome to the Official CAG Amazon.com Trade-In Thread

THANKS TO DISILLUSION386 and GI60 FOR POSTING AND MAINTAINING THE PREVIOUS AMAZON TRADE-IN FAQ THREADS

This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss Amazon.com’s new video game trade-in program. The trade-in deal will be updated whenever one is available, and a list of flippable games will be in the second post. PLEASE READ THE TRADE-IN DEAL DETAILS AND FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Trade-In(s) of the Day
-= Can be found HERE =-

Amazon.com Trading Info

Amazon.com Video Game Trade-In Store

Trade-In Procedure

1. Select Games: Games must be in good condition and your trade-in shipment valued at $10 or more
2. Ship Games FREE: Print a shipping label and packing slip, package your games, and ship them
3. Get a Gift Card: An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games
Shipping Instructions

1. Print this entire page. (Packing slip and shipping label once you have submitted a trade)
2. Cut out the shipping label and the packing slip.
3. Make sure your items are in good working condition and include the case and cover art.
4. Securely pack the items in a box or envelope and include the packing slip in the package.
5. Attach the shipping label squarely onto the outside of the package and add your return address.
6. Take it to your nearest UPS Store and mail it by (one week from submission of trade)
7. Or you can ship to:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Drive
Hudson, NH 03051
Trade-In Product Eligibility

Trade-in items must match the exact version displayed in the Amazon Trade-In Store, not be damaged, include original packaging (e.g. the manual, cover art, and case), and be postmarked no later than 7 days after submission. You will receive an e-mail confirmation and an Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account within 2 business days of item receipt and verification by the merchant. Items not accepted by the merchant will be returned to you approximately 14 days after receipt.

GENERAL FAQ (Updated 12/10/09)

Can I post question on this thread?
Only if you can't find the answer from below. :lol: And please let me know if it needs to be added to FAQ.

My cover art (PLATINUM HITS) differs from the pic on amazon, will my trade be accepted?
It all depends on the UPC so just turn your game around, type in the upc into the amazon search box. If the game comes up, then it's accepted regardless of cover art. Click on that result to submit your trade.

Since when did Amazon start doing trades?
The program began in 2009 and is handled by a third party merchant, NorAm International.

What kind of shipping does Amazon provide us?
Free UPS ground ---- USPS is no longer available for free. There is now also an option to provide your own shipping.

Do I have to provide my own box or envelope?
Yes.

Do all my games in the same trade-in submission have to be shipped in the same box? (updated 3/9/11)
Not necessarily - people have sent in multiple boxes for the same trade-in submission successfully. It's even possible to send half at one time and the other half at the end of the valid shipping period. However, it's probably best to always ship everything at once.

Can I send in sealed games?
Yes. They won't reject games that still have the original shrink wrap.

Can I add Delivery Confirmation and Insurance to my shipment?
For UPS Ground
It already provides you with tracking information.

I don't trust UPS ground. Can I pay for postage myself? What's the address?
Yes. You're more than welcome to do so. The address is:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Dr
Hudson, NH 03051

(This is also an option when submitting your trades)

When do I have to send my games once I have submitted my trade order?
You have 1 week (7 days) to send your games. There have been reports of submitting trades up to 15 - 20 days late, but that is definitely ymmv. Send on time for the best chance at success!

Crap, I have one day to go before my shipment deadline, but the website states that my deadline has already passed. How do I print out a shipping label and packing slip?
Load up any existing order (if you don't have any, check your browser's history), and substitute the transaction ID for the trade-in order you need at the end of the URL.

How long does the whole trade-in process usually take?
From the time you send in your games, it may take up to 14 business days for the package to arrive. Most people usually receive their credit (Amazon GiftCard) in 3 to 5 business days, however.

How long does the "processing" status usually take?
Usually with no delay, but the longest reported days so far is 4.

My games were received on Friday (based on Delivery Confirmation), will I have to wait until Monday to receive credit?
People have received credit on a Saturday.

I do not have the manual, cover art, or original case for a game I want to trade in. Will they accept it?
While the details specifically state that original packaging is necessary, people have reported in the past that their trades were accepted despite missing some of these. This is extremely YMMV, however since some were also rejected by missing manual or cover art. On the other hand, older gen games; such as SNES, N64, and GB cartridges, normally get accepted without the original box and manual, but still YMMV.
It's always better if you trade your non-complete game as an additional credit, not part of the minimum requirement to qualify for the promo.

I do not have the manual, accessories, original box, original included game, etc for a console or accessory I want to trade in. Will they accept it? (updated 3/9/11)
The current wisdom is "probably not" - it's pretty YMMV but NorAm seems stricter than they should be on this. Your chances seem to be better for them accepting a console or accessory without the box / manual / etc if it's older generation or rare. You're more than welcome to give it a shot though if you're feeling lucky - just pack it well and include as much as you can!

My game is really beat up, what are the chances they’ll accept it?
This is YMMV. Some people have reported in the past that they sent in games in bad shape that were still accepted. Your best bet is still to trade in games in mint condition. Minor scratches are expected as these are used games.

My game is the Greatest Hits version, but the one pictured on the site isn’t. Can I still trade it in?
Unless the game in question has two separate versions that trade at different values, sending in a greatest hits version is okay.

I have a game from a limited edition bundle, will they accept it?
If the game’s cover art has a UPC barcode, they will most likely accept it. If your game's cover states "Not for Resale" and does not have a UPC barcode, the game will most likely get rejected. Some people have had their games accepted in the past, but this is YMMV.

The UPC barcode is not intact on my game's cover art, will that be accepted? (updated 3/9/11)
This is YMMV, but probably not. The UPC is all powerful within the walls of NorAm.

I sent in my games, all of which were in pristine condition with the original packaging, but they said that one game is damaged and is now being returned.
Always pack your games well. Put a lot of newspaper around your games in the box to secure them and to prevent any damages from haphazard box cutting. People in the past have requested their entire trade-in order if it’s obvious the damage wasn’t their fault, and Amazon ended up accepting the rejected game. This is YMMV as well.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
Yes. Once you click “Trade in” for a particular game, you may change the quantities. Once you submit, you can no longer change quantities on that trade-in batch.

How many multiple copies of the same game can I trade-in (updated 1/11/11)?
Maximum of 2 copies within 3 months period

I locked in X copies of a game but I now only have Y available to send. Can I just send in Y without being penalized? (updated 3/9/11)
Yes, you can always just send in a portion of your trade-in order and they'll just credit you for whatever they receive. However, the quantities you submitted for will stay locked in that instance (I think) so if you, for example, submitted for 2 copies and only sent 1, you may not be able to trade any more copies of that game for 3 months (see previous question).

Will the Trade-in of the Day TIV stay for 24 hours?
It's been reported that there is a limit (maximum # of copies) that will get the promoted TIV so lock yours.

So if I find a good flip, I can just send 2 copies of that game and not worry about Amazon accusing me of stolen merchandise?
Technically yes, but do keep in mind that other CAGs might want to participate in the current deal, and trading in a large number of the same game will definitely lower the TIV of said game. Let’s be nice to other people.

Wow, these TIVs suck (updated 3/9/11)!
Really? Hrm. While that may be true, they're often better than other comparable places. Your options of what to do with your used games are greater now than they've ever been, so feel free to shop your trades around or just sell them off on glyde/gamestaq/ebay/whatever.

What the fuck? The TIV of a game I just bought for this deal tanked! What do I do?
The TIVs on Amazon fluctuate depending on the number of trades that are submitted, and we really can’t do anything about it. The best course of action for trading in games is to lock in your trade if you already have the games or are absolutely sure that you can obtain them. You can always cancel the trade submission if you end up not finding the games.

LOCK = SUBMIT YOUR TRADE, Don't just put it in the cart.

Can I edit a submitted trade?
Nope - once upon a time you could modify trade in quantities of submitted trades, but that ability has been removed.

Can I use my credit (not the trade-in deal coupon) on items that are not video game-related?
Yes. This is the other perk for trading in games at Amazon since you're not limited to just video games.

Can I use my credit on items sold by third-party merchants on Amazon?
According to the fine print of the Amazon gift card use, some merchants are excluded. Your best bet is to try it on the checkout page of your order.

Strategy guides? I can trade in game/strategy guides? Whaaaaa?
Go to the Textbook Buyback section (http://www.amazon.com/Textbooks-Trad...ode=2205237011). You can either search on the title of a strategy guide you have to see if they'll accept it, or search for guides. The two best search strings to start with are 'prima guides' and 'bradygames'. Might try 'doublejump' if you want to trade in some of those. (Thanks eugaet)

I locked in some hilariously overvalued trade for some weird rare game/accessory/etc that I can pick up for cheap cheap cheap. They didn't accept it. What should I do? (updated 3/9/11)
The truth is that NORAM can reject things for any reason they see fit. While some people have managed to get silly things like a $200 credit for some cheerleading game, it's sooooooo YMMV that often it's not worth the effort. EXPECT REJECTION ON THINGS THAT ARE CLEARLY MISVALUED. That said, as long as you're willing to risk it, go for it!

trade-in promo related faq spoilered for history. promos no longer offered by amazon
---- TRADE-IN PROMO RELATED FAQ ---

When do I receive my coupon code for the current trade-in deal, if any?
The Terms of Service states 10 days after Amazon has accepted your games and added credit to your account, but it usually takes 2 to 3 days.

Can I do two different trade-in submissions that add up to the requirements of the current trade-in deal, if any?
No. In order to qualify for any of the trade-in promos, they have to all be in one trade-in submission. You can't add another game later on to make the minimum. However, you can adjust the quantity of the submitted game to make the minimum.

I submitted my trade-in order online, how do I know if I qualified for the current trade-in deal, if any? Is there a confirmation page or e-mail?
No. They will automatically send you a coupon code once they have accepted your shipment of games and credited your account.

Is the trade-in deal coupon in addition to the credit I will receive for my games?
Yes.

Can I trade in DVDs to take advantage of the current trade-in deal?
You may trade in DVDs to add credit to your Amazon account, but they will not be added to the amount you need to qualify for the deal.

Can I take advantage of the current trade-in (if available) promo more than once?
These deals are “One per household” unless stated otherwise. However, you may use a different Amazon account. The credit for your games will be tied to the specific account used for the trade, but the coupon codes for the deals are not.
*However, some people has confirmed that they get multiple coupon by using 1 Amazon account after doing multiple submission.
NOTE: IF YOU SEND MORE THAN 1 SUBMISSION, THE MULTIPLE COUPONS MIGHT COME IN 1 EMAIL, THE CODE IS SEPARATED BY A COMMA.

If the coupon codes aren’t tied to my account, can I use more than one coupon on my next purchase?
No. Unless stated otherwise in the promo details, these coupons cannot be combined with other offers or promotions.

So if they reject one of my games, am I disqualified from the current trade-in deal, if any?
Unfortunately yes. The best suggestion for trading in games is to trade in $10-$20 more than the minimum for the deal. By doing so, you will still qualify for the promo even if one or two games get rejected.

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon on preorders?
Yes.

What happen to the Coupon code if I cancel the preorder?
The coupon code will stay with your account. It will be applied automatically at check-out as long as the coupon is not expired.

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon when shopping from other merchants on Amazon?
No. ONLY ITEMS SOLD BY AMAZON.COM QUALIFY FOR PURCHASE WITH THE TRADE-IN COUPON. Even Amazon's other sites (Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.jp, etc.) do not participate in these trade-in deals.

Trade-in coupon Usage:
Previous promo coupons and their expiration dates (NO ACTIVE PROMOS CURRENTLY):

1st Promo - $ 50 / $75 Coupon (coupon exp: 8/31) - Game Console Only
2nd Promo - 50 % Coupon (coupon exp: 8/31) - Game and Accessories
3rd Promo - $ 30 Coupon (coupon exp: 12/31) - Game Console, Game and Accessories
4th Promo - $ 30 Coupon (coupon exp: 12/31) - Game Console Only

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious'] I just got a game rejected today. It's not that big of a deal.[/QUOTE]

What were the cicumstances of the rejection? I mean was it valid? What happens if they send you a game back that is clearly not in the same condition you sent it? Is that still not a big deal or would that change things?

The thing is, it becomes a big deal to many if the game you sent in good condition is rejected and returned in worse condition.

Also (not directed at you con) dont think that Amazon doesn't care and will just keep throwing out credits when people complain about noram. If it persists Amazon will take notice. It's costing them money, and if it costs them too much they will certainly care and hopefully take proper action.

when i contacted amazon about my broken games, they said i could try selling them on their marketplace. So I asked the CSR, so you reject my games, and then want to profit by getting a percentage off their sale? CSR was speechless, lol.

confoosious: do you come on here with the specific intent to be an oppositional jackass, or does it just come naturally?

I think amazon has already taken notice. I sent in a game that i thought they would in no way pay. that was in the same price point as that ds game lets paint. No way would i get paid they $150+ but they paid it. They also just rejected a game of mine for missing the actual game, like I would be stupid enough to not send in the game. Believe me, they will hear from me soon on that. First destruction of property and no theft. Oh well, I guess confosious sees nothing wrong with that.

I'm still not convinced that anyone would take this case. Now, I've never been to law school so I'm not as learned as you. Why don't you interview one of your professors and ask him (or her) his legal opinion on how exactly your video could be used in a lawsuit against norAm that they're intentionally damaging disks. Would love to see the video of that. Clearly, if one of the esteemed professors at your school says it to be so, I would have to agree. I know who my betters are.

Yea im not to concerned about bringing it to a court of law but im pretty sure that amazon customer service will believe my video evidence and it will help me get a promo credit for the value i was promised :)

Also many of us are so fired up about this becuase for example we paid lets say 65 dollars cash out of pocket for 3 copies of pitfall for the wii with the intention of earning some amazon credit. Then we dont get our credit and the games have been destroyed so we cant return them and we are out 65 dollars (that makes us angry). And they ARE destroying them if we all take photos of our "damaged" game im sure they all will look the same. - Sandpaper on the disk and a sprits of water on the cover art, and maybe even a cracked case if were really lucky.

Guys. The point of complaining to the Internet Crime Complaint Center is to put pressure on amazon/noram to change. Suing them individually on such a petty scale is a waste of time and it doesn't help anyone else.

There is a serious problem going on here. Its unreasonable for so many to take pics and even video of their trades.

Shockandaww you have not seen how often amazon is abused. We've been complaining about this ever since they started taking in trades. Nothing indicates that it will fix itself. They will throw out credits instead of getting to the root of the problem.

[quote name='Japakneez']Guys. The point of complaining to the Internet Crime Complaint Center is to put pressure on amazon/noram to change. Suing them individually on such a petty scale is a waste of time and it doesn't help anyone else.

There is a serious problem going on here. Its unreasonable for so many to take pics and even video of their trades.

Shockandaww you have not seen how often amazon is abused. We've been complaining about this ever since they started taking in trades. Nothing indicates that it will fix itself. They will throw out credits instead of getting to the root of the problem.[/QUOTE]
True. I didnt mean to say that complaining to anyone else was a bad idea. I just don't really believe that Amazon doesn't care (if they've realized it's a big enough problem).

Although I guess it's entirely possible that they don't. Say Amazon gives me some credit for a trade gone bad just to shut me up. Now I may be much more likely to buy something more expensive using that credit that I otherwise wouldn't have considered buying. So I don't know maybe it actually helps sales and so Amazon doesn't really care so long as they're still making profit. That may be taking it too far but who knows.

A couple of questions:

1) I wonder if Amazon charges NorAm for all the "credits" they hand out for customer service.

2) I wonder if this is a case of squeeky wheels get a lot of attention but the overall % of complaints is so low that Noram/amazon doesn't really care

also, dabamus - wanna trade some games?

herp derp im confoosious and im defending minimun wage jackasses justifying how they break games discs, and then defending gangbangers shooting people. Im so smart!

To add in my experiences, my first trade of Fable 3 went without a hitch. My second of RDR was a month ago, and was rejected for missing manual. This was reasonable because it was really was my fault.

What pissed me off was that the game's case's top-inside corner was broken off, all the way to the cover slip which was bent and torn along the upper edges.

Since the actual broken pieces were inside the packaging, I assumed UPS mishandled the package. After reading the recent posts in this thread, I'm not sure that is the case anymore. I've gotten plenty of DVDs in padded envelopes, and none of them even exhibited minor damage.

There were a couple more games that I was on the borderline of trading-in, but that experience really makes me re-think whether it was worth the risk. I don't like having a ghetto looking busted-up case in my library.

P.S. the threat of legal action is really preposterous. I swear, every forum I go to has some claiming to be a big shot lawyer that is going to press legal charges. I mean, I would love to see NorAm under some heat after my bad experience with them, but honestly, how are you going to prove they are intentionally damaging your games? There's always a risk of shipping damage/wear when they inspect the contents and test the game. You put your property under that risk when you decide to mail it to them.

i doubt that noram actually breaks the cases/discs.

What probably happens is that they keep "damaged" copies around to send back to people and reject their trades if the value is too high or has dropped significantly since the trade was submitted.

Would make sense as a way to prevent flipping. Especially on overstocked items they can't move as is that get locked in at a higher TIV than they should be.

I know that for a fact the copy of Call of Duty 4 that got rejected was not the same case, disc, or manual I sent to them. Same with this UFC 2010. Just two copies from the "reject" pile because they had too many copies in stock.

[quote name='jer7583']i doubt that noram actually breaks the cases/discs.

What probably happens is that they keep "damaged" copies around to send back to people and reject their trades if the value is too high or has dropped significantly since the trade was submitted.

Would make sense as a way to prevent flipping. Especially on overstocked items they can't move as is that get locked in at a higher TIV than they should be.

I know that for a fact the copy of Call of Duty 4 that got rejected was not the same case, disc, or manual I sent to them. Same with this UFC 2010. Just two copies from the "reject" pile because they had too many copies in stock.[/QUOTE]

yep, I'm sure in a week or two they'll suddenly find a lost stockpile of damaged F1 2009 Wii laying around :roll:

If you are talking about me I'm not claiming to be a big shot lawyer, I'm a student, and even when I graduate this situation won't be my specialty. Most of the time the threat of legal action, when done through the proper channels, is enough for the people on the other side to open their eyes.

At the end of the day, all most of us want is for out trades to be either accepted or returned in the same condition in which they were sent.

No need to argue or anything.

if they returned the games in the same condition and said im sorry we can not honor that trade in @ least we could return them or sell them somewhere else. I still would complain that they didnt honor the value though :)

[quote name='Antipodes']

P.S. the threat of legal action is really preposterous. I swear, every forum I go to has some claiming to be a big shot lawyer that is going to press legal charges. I mean, I would love to see NorAm under some heat after my bad experience with them, but honestly, how are you going to prove they are intentionally damaging your games? There's always a risk of shipping damage/wear when they inspect the contents and test the game. You put your property under that risk when you decide to mail it to them.[/QUOTE]

This. I'm all for making things right and I'm not fan of NorAM but when people start tossing around class action suits and all this other bullshit, it makes me go :roll:

Unless you secretly tape them destroying games, there's no way you make a case. I don't care what kind of hotshot lawyer or law student you are. And I don't think any lawyer outside of Jackie Chiles would approach this would a ten foot pole.

[quote name='51jack']herp derp im confoosious and im defending minimun wage jackasses justifying how they break games discs, and then defending gangbangers shooting people. Im so smart![/QUOTE]

really? you read that in my post? you are a genius!

[quote name='confoosious']This. I'm all for making things right and I'm not fan of NorAM but when people start tossing around class action suits and all this other bullshit, it makes me go :roll:

Unless you secretly tape them destroying games, there's no way you make a case. I don't care what kind of hotshot lawyer or law student you are. And I don't think any lawyer outside of Jackie Chiles would approach this would a ten foot pole.[/QUOTE]

And this is proof of how little you know, I think it's time for the children to go back to the kiddy pool.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']And this just prove how little you know, I think it's time for the children to go back to the kiddy pool.[/QUOTE]

then bring the suit. If you're such a hotshot 3L at one of the best law schools on the country, bring it. Obviously you think there is something nefarious going on. So you should help your fellow man and bring a lawsuit against NorAm.

Like I said, why don't you videotape one of your professors giving us an explanation about why the suit is valid? Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. But you're the hotshot law student right? Why don't you prove to us why legal action is required and would be fruitful.

The onus is on you, mr big shot. I'm not the one claiming to be the fine legal mind here.

After all, you'd be hailed as a hero by all of us just trying to trade in games.

[quote name='ShockandAww']What were the cicumstances of the rejection? I mean was it valid? What happens if they send you a game back that is clearly not in the same condition you sent it? Is that still not a big deal or would that change things?
[/QUOTE]

It was my fault. I sent a game in and didn't bother to check if the UPC was there. Since it was a special edition of a game, it was missing the UPC. I totally forgot that it was special because the case looks exactly the same.

As I mentioned before, I sent in L4D and those stupid monkeys broke the disc. It probably happened cause they were too forceful taking it out. (Or it could have happened during shipping.) Was it annoying? Yes. But I don't think it was a conspiracy nor would I bring a lawsuit about something so trivial.

[quote name='confoosious']then bring the suit. If you're such a hotshot 3L at one of the best law schools on the country, bring it. Obviously you think there is something nefarious going on. So you should help your fellow man and bring a lawsuit against NorAm.

Like I said, why don't you videotape one of your professors giving us an explanation about why the suit is valid? Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. But you're the hotshot law student right? Why don't you prove to us why legal action is required and would be fruitful.

The onus is on you, mr big shot. I'm not the one claiming to be the fine legal mind here.

After all, you'd be hailed as a hero by all of us just trying to trade in games.[/QUOTE]

dbag

I would appreciate it if you folks would take this tomfoolery elsewhere. You're really just going in circles at this point and nothing productive is coming out of it.

Feel free to post your wonderful or vomit-inducing experiences with Noram, comically high trade-in values, or regale us with a story of how you used the $500 in Amazon credit you got flipping BBV games during b1g1 on video on demand rentals that you watched in one weekend. The goofy back-and-forth chest thumping I could do without.

Confoosious, look up 'conversion'.

Handsome Pete, I'm doing no chest thumping. Look back on my posts, I've tried to squash this numerous times, Confoosious is just a troll.

and it wouldnt be that hard to hire some detective or something to film them breaking games i have no motivation to do so but maybe we could do a chip in :) fundraiser to hire a detective to get us some proof. im sure there is proof to be gotten

OK, it was fun for a while (I think). But yeah, handsomepete has the right idea. Let's try to keep this thread about the trade-in program and what happens with trade-ins. Please post any and all stories about returns as that is very useful whether anyone is pressing the legal issue or not. It is nice to know what they do with games and what the likelihood of it is. Personally, I'm intensely curious to see my 2 "damaged" 360 games. They could come back exactly as I sent them (which is all I've ever experienced in the past) or they could have undergone this alleged new process of utter destruction.

Still, though, there is something going on with NorAm and I think we can all agree on that. I have traded a ton of games with them over nearly 2 years. I had some initial trouble here and there but it was all at least technically accurate (one missing manual, one "cracked" disc that had a 1mm crack in the center ring, and 2 "damaged" that turned out just to have very small writing on the label side of the disc and worked fine of course). Then I had nothing returned to me for several months (despite sending in dozens of games). And now, all of a sudden, 2 returns in a week and clearly I am not the only one.

So, the evidence is pretty overwhelming that something new is happening here. Whether it is on the UPS side or NorAm side and whether it is nefarious or just due to incompetance, I really have no idea and I don't think anyone else can be sure, either, unless they have some inside info.

Having said that, they are still correctly processing and accepting the vast majority of trade-ins. Also, IMO, they provide the easiest-to-use and most convenient trade-in method of any of the online used game traders. So for those reasons I will continue to use them when it makes sense.

lol you will know when you see them IO there unmistakable i will take pics if i get another one rejected so we can compare im betting they all look the same though. I have had 2 rejected that came back in the same shape i sent them(brand new and sealed) but the rest have looked like total strangers to me

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']If you are talking about me I'm not claiming to be a big shot lawyer, I'm a student, and even when I graduate this situation won't be my specialty. Most of the time the threat of legal action, when done through the proper channels, is enough for the people on the other side to open their eyes.

At the end of the day, all most of us want is for out trades to be either accepted or returned in the same condition in which they were sent.

No need to argue or anything.[/QUOTE]

I was generalizing, but your claim seemed far-fetched for something so trivial. If you are are going to sue, then do it and keep us updated :)

I actually agree with you that taking pictures/documentation is a *good* thing. There's always the off-chance that you get a nothing-to-lose worker views it as a challenge, but my opinion is that most workers want to avoid the potential headache.

If nothing else, documentation serves to as a way to convince Amazon of the problem, who will then put pressure on NorAm to improve their services (or drop their relationship).

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Confoosious, look up 'conversion'.
[/QUOTE]

I dont have to look up anything. I'm not the guy claiming to be a hotshot 3L. I already said that if you could prove this case had merit (perhaps an explanation by one of your esteemed law profs), I'd gladly accept it.

[quote name='io']
So, the evidence is pretty overwhelming that something new is happening here. Whether it is on the UPS side or NorAm side and whether it is nefarious or just due to incompetance, I really have no idea and I don't think anyone else can be sure, either, unless they have some inside info.

Having said that, they are still correctly processing and accepting the vast majority of trade-ins. Also, IMO, they provide the easiest-to-use and most convenient trade-in method of any of the online used game traders. So for those reasons I will continue to use them when it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I think it's simply a numbers game. Perhaps they were overwhelmed during the holidays and made some mistakes. Could they be incompetent and stupid? Sure.

But what sense would it make to purposely destroy games instead of paying you? ESPECIALLY since all they have to do is slap an "incorrect price" label on there if they had a mistake like those handful of ridiculously high TIVs?

What upside is there for them to break disks on purpose? Who benefits?

I've only had 2 games rejected out of the 50+ I've traded in. One was for a missing manual (my fault) and the other marked as damaged (it wasn't). I'm happy with the service, but I would never keep using them if I had some of the experiences I'm reading about here. If it gets to the point where you feel the need to record yourself packaging your games and dropping them off at the post office, I think that's a good time to call it quits.

[quote name='confoosious']I dont have to look up anything. I'm not the guy claiming to be a hotshot 3L. I already said that if you could prove this case had merit (perhaps an explanation by one of your esteemed law profs), I'd gladly accept it. [/QUOTE]

I never said I was a hot shot, just a student. If you want to hear from my professors, their phone numbers are all in the school directory:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/index.html

Pick a name and you are good to go.

[quote name='dino88'] If it gets to the point where you feel the need to record yourself packaging your games and dropping them off at the post office, I think that's a good time to call it quits.[/QUOTE]

Probably the smartest thing I've read all day.

Did people stop using EzTrade in cause their TIVs plummeted or because their service sucked? I quit because their TIVs weren't high enough to justify the long ass wait times for them.

On the other hand, gazelle's TIVs have plummeted too but at least their service is top notch. I still use them for stuff.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I never said I was a hot shot, just a student. If you want to hear from my professors, their phone numbers are all in the school directory:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/index.html

Pick a name and you are good to go.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to talk to them. I am but a simple man. Perhaps you can do us a favor and explain the case to them and see how they react. Really, you are a 3L. I couldn't begin to understand that fancy lawyerin'. When you do get an explanation, please PM me. I think everyone is tired of this.

[quote name='CyReN']I shipped my package off on 12/31 and it didn't show up until today 1/3, but the deadline is 1/2. Will they still accept it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the deadline date is when it has to be postmarked by, not the date they have to receive it by.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm afraid I'm not qualified to talk to them. I am but a simple man. Perhaps you can do us a favor and explain the case to them and see how they react. Really, you are a 3L. I couldn't begin to understand that fancy lawyerin'. When you do get an explanation, please PM me. I think everyone is tired of this.[/QUOTE]

Then what would me recording them talking about it do? If you openly admit to not being able to understand what they have to say (without first hearing it, I might add) then how would me filming a discussion help you with your comprehension issues?

Again, confoosious lets just drop this.

[quote name='confoosious']
What upside is there for them to break disks on purpose? Who benefits?[/QUOTE]

Versus returning it as a pricing error, the advantage to them is that it lowers the supply. Also, pricing error seems a bit more legally sketchy if it were done on a massive scale. It would put the fault squarely on NorAm, and customers could complain they were mislead and lost the opportunity to sell the game elsewhere at a higher price.

Obviously, the minor gains isn't worth intentionally damaging games, considering the customer repercussions. I'm already wary about using their services after one bad experience, despite the service offering good prices and convenience.

And while I highly doubt they are intentionally damaging games, their process and handing might have poor quality control.

[quote name='Antipodes']Versus returning it as a pricing error, the advantage to them is that it lowers the supply. Also, pricing error seems a bit more legally sketchy if it were done on a massive scale. It would put the fault squarely on NorAm, and customers could complain they were mislead and lost the opportunity to sell the game elsewhere at a higher price.

Obviously, the minor gains isn't worth intentionally damaging games, considering the customer repercussions. I'm already wary about using their services after one bad experience, despite the service offering good prices and convenience.

And while I highly doubt they are intentionally damaging games, their process and handing might have poor quality control.[/QUOTE]

In order for them to change the supply significantly, they'd have to destroy a ton of games. Also, given that it costs them about $2+ to return each damage game, it makes no sense.

Like you said, the minor gains aren't worth the hassle.

I doubt that they are damaging discs. It's much more likely that they keep working copies and send back defective ones.

If anyone has had this happen with a game that is uncommon, rare, or extremely low trade in value, I think it would be less likely, but it seems to be very common with flips as they get a huge amount of them at once when blockbuster sales or gamestop b2g1 sales happen.

Bonus for them, they get a working copy, and get rid of a defective one, and pay nothing. And the customer can't provide any legitimate claim that the game wasn't sent to noram with a cracked case and scratches.

All this returning of trade-ins from NorAm, wouldn't this cost them money to send the game back without shipping costs? I suppose the loss in return shipping cost doesn't affect them much...

[quote name='confoosious']I dont have to look up anything. Im not the guy claiming to be a hotshot 3L. I already said that if you could prove this case had merit (perhaps an explanation by one of your esteemed law profs), Id gladly accept it.
I think its simply a numbers game. Perhaps they were overwhelmed during the holidays and made some mistakes. Could they be incompetent and stupid? Sure.

But what sense would it make to purposely destroy games instead of paying you? ESPECIALLY since all they have to do is slap an "incorrect price" label on there if they had a mistake like those handful of ridiculously high TIVs?

What upside is there for them to break disks on purpose? Who benefits?[/QUOTE] So youre arguing something you dont understand and refuse to accept an explanation of it by someone who is studying it. Once again, I ask you to answer this? What do you have against irish or anyone else documentiing their trade ins. Who cares what they do? Why cant you just go on with your merry life just ignoring what others do? It doesnt affect you. It doesnt, so shut up. Youre one of the biggest trolls here, the one who has derailed this thread. Everyone here has posted talking about their experiences with noram but you. You instead have something against what irish and others have said. When 7 people trade in the same game and each copy of the game is recieved damage, what does that tell you? Seriously, i thought trolls here were muted or banned. If you made points for noram, id understand but to ask for professors video links, and then say you wouldnt understand it anyway is just plain trolling. Nothing will satisfy you.

It makes sense to noram financially because what would they rather do, break a game and return it or honor the High TIV. Since amazon wipes their hands cleans of them, their is no reprecussion. They can do what they want, whevever they want. I cant believe you need that explained to you.

[quote name='ComfortablyNumb'] When 7 people trade in the same game and each copy of the game is recieved damage, what does that tell you? [/QUOTE]

Wait. Where has this been said and what is the game? Please link us to the posts.

Lets not jump to conclusions so quickly. In the last few weeks there have been just as many posts from people worried about their trades being rejected as there are actual rejections. It is bad, but this makes it sound worse than it actually is. We have never seen so many posts about rejections until recently. Someone also claimed in this thread that most of the damaged games is being done to high TIV games that have dropped. That has not been true at all. The rejections are all over the place.

And what is the deal with actual broken games? Don't jump to the conclusion that "damage" means broken game. For the most part it has actually been damaged cases. I know broken games happened before, but we've rarely seen a post about it in the 2 years noram has been doing this. Let's keep this discussion as accurate as possible.

[quote name='CyReN']I shipped my package off on 12/31 and it didn't show up until today 1/3, but the deadline is 1/2. Will they still accept it?[/QUOTE]

Seriously? For us out here on the West Coast UPS takes 9 days to deliver. If it was by delivery date we'd be disqualified on every trade-in.

Consider yourself lucky it only takes 1 business day for UPS to deliver for you. That means you'll get back your "damaged" games that much faster ;).

Here's my turnaround time for one of my so-called damaged items:

1) Locked in TiV on December 12th.
2) Mailed the games on December 17th (at the UPS store and verified later that they went out that day).
3) Delivered on the 24th
4) Received notice on the 28th that 4 were accepted and one returned as "damaged"
5) "Damaged" game mailed back via UPS on Dec. 29th

and it still not here yet (delivery estimate is Jan. 5th).

So, yeah, you have the 7 days to get it mailed, not to get it there.

But also, with these stupid returns, it takes us West Coasters a long time to find out what the problem is. The other one I just had rejected today so I won't get that till the end of next week at the earliest. Like I said before, they used to mail them back via USPS first-class mail in padded envelopes. That only took like 3 days.

Both of my damaged games were only $12-$12.75 in value and in both cases were not the "common" trade-in fodder from the BBV sale (or other places). All those games got accepted no problem. So go figure. However, the 2 "damaged" ones both are now worth half what they were when I locked them in.

------------------------------------

Edit: I know it can be YMMV (and probably being a Prime member helps), but wow, more often than not Amazon has some top-notch Customer Service. Just a few hours ago I wrote in about the second game rejection (the one that happened today). I chose that one because I noted on a piece of paper where I keep track of my trade-in submissions specifically that the 2 games in that trade-in were in near perfect condition. I can't be 100% sure about the earlier one. I explained all that but forgot the trade-in ID. So they asked me for that and about two hours ago I gave them that info. I just now (at 12:30 Am Pacific) got an email saying they are giving me a $13 promo credit for the game (which would have traded in for $12.75). So now I don't really care what condition it comes back in except for the curiosity factor to see if NorAm really messed with it or not.

[quote name='io']So now I don't really care what condition it comes back in except for the curiosity factor to see if NorAm really messed with it or not.[/QUOTE]

Of the 2 items I've had rejected, I am almost 100% certain that what I got back was not the copy I sent in. I imagine that they have a process of filing rejected games by sku (much like they probably do for accepted games), and then just pulling them out of that box when it comes time to mail something back to you.

The disc may have been the same on my rejected games- but the case was most certainly not the one i sent in with my trade.

[quote name='ComfortablyNumb']It makes sense to noram financially because what would they rather do, break a game and return it or honor the High TIV.[/QUOTE]

Here's what you're failing to understand: they don't have to honor the high TIV. They can simply say "pricing error" and get away with it.

Now, given part 1, why would they purposefully destroy games.

Also, I'm a troll because I think people who cry lawsuit!!! at every opportunity (whether they are hot shot legal students or not) should be told to simmer down? I don't think so. We could use less lawsuits in this country, not more. But let's not go on a political bent. I already ducked out of this argument once, I don't know why you're dragging me back in.

P.S. I guess they don't teach sarcasm in law school or at pink floyd concerts.

[quote name='nbballard']Of the 2 items I've had rejected, I am almost 100% certain that what I got back was not the copy I sent in. I imagine that they have a process of filing rejected games by sku (much like they probably do for accepted games), and then just pulling them out of that box when it comes time to mail something back to you.
[/QUOTE]

that's a good thought and certainly more plausible than noram stepping on games on purpose. It still would be a shitty system.

[quote name='confoosious']In order for them to change the supply significantly, they'd have to destroy a ton of games. Also, given that it costs them about $2+ to return each damage game, it makes no sense.

Like you said, the minor gains aren't worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

Really, so you think they'd rather spend up to $90 in TIV credit, rather than the $2 it costs to ship a game back?

Frankly, I think some of you guys are idiots. You don't find it odd that the rate of rejection for higher-TIV games is MUCH higher than that of lower TIV games?

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Really, so you think they'd rather spend up to $90 in TIV credit, rather than the $2 it costs to ship a game back?

Frankly, I think some of you guys are idiots. You don't find it odd that the rate of rejection for higher-TIV games is MUCH higher than that of lower TIV games?[/QUOTE]

Omg. It's like you refuse to read or something. That isn't about the insane $90 TIV games.

NorAM has a clause that allows them to reject games for any reason. You guys can debate the legality of this... but you have to accept it as true. Because it is true. As least the way they interpret it.

Ok?

They get a game that was overpriced. Say some bullshit kids game. It's selling for $10 at Gamestop used but somehow is worth $100 TIV.

Their options are:

a) pay it
b) claim pricing error and send it back to you.
c) step on it and claim damage

What do you think is the easiest thing to do.
B!

The post you quoted is talking about the little games that drop by like $5-6 that people getting back. There's a cost associated with processing that's not just shipping. It's not just high value items that are being returned. Just the ones most bitched about. People are going all sorts of nuts thinking NorAM is purposely stepping on their discs and cases in order not to pay the TIV for a game that dropped a few bucks. Now, given that it costs about $2 to ship these back to you, does that make sense at all from a fiscal perspective?

[quote name='confoosious'] Now, given that it costs about $2 to ship these back to you, does that make sense at all from a fiscal perspective?[/QUOTE]

And therein lies the problem. You're asking a bunch of spoiled brats who think "the law is on theyre [sic] side and how their [sic] going to hire undercover detectives to BREAK THIS EVIL GAME-THEFT RING AND TAKE NORAM DOWN ARGLEBLARGLE!!!111!1." to think logically. Confoosious, people are calling you a troll; I'm calling you one of the few sane people I've seen on this board.

It's like the 'Harvard Law Student' who thinks this would be a case that any attorney in the real world would take. Maybe an ambulance chaser that has more time than clients, but no good attorney has more time than clients.

People, don't waste time taking pictures and filming yourself boxing up the games. Pack your games well, and take your chances if you don't want to deal with Gamestop, or Craigslist, or the like. Even if it gets damaged during shipping, NORAM still has the right to reject any game for any reason.

The conspiracy theorists on this website crack me up.

Whether i'm an "ambulance chaser" corporate litigator or crim defense atty i wouldnt take this case. i have had one game claimed as "damaged" the tiv i locked in was 32 and the tiv it dropped to is 18. i am going to call amazon to try to rectify the situation. i did receieve the game back and it was not "damaged" at all. so if there is a significant drop in tiv expect a rejection. but you know there are associated risks with this. caveat emptor. i typed this real quick on fone sorry for typos.

I've tried to take the higher ground with all this but some people refuse to let this thing die.

All of you retail workers, janitors, unemployed factory workers please refrain from commenting on things you don't understand. I don't tell you that it's absurd to use cleaning agents to get the crap stains out of a toilet, so be respectful and let things drop if you don't understand them or think it's ridiculous rather than riding it out like an idiot trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

AGAIN, lets drop this thing.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']
All of you retail workers, janitors, unemployed factory workers please refrain from commenting on things you don't understand. I don't tell you that it's absurd to use cleaning agents to get the crap stains out of a toilet, so be respectful and let things drop if you don't understand them or think it's ridiculous rather than riding it out like an idiot trying to put a square peg into a round hole.
[/QUOTE]

While I agree that this is a bit of a pointless debate and should be dropped, this comment is incredibly elitist and obnoxious, and I am side-eyeing you for it.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']
[/QUOTE]

wow. that.. wow. Seriously man? Wow. Do you take Obnoxious class in 1L or do you have to wait?

by the way, while some aspects of this have become pointless, I think this discussion has some merit. I think we're just trying to figure out why and when noram rejects stuff so that we know what to prepare for. I prefer nonrejection over rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back