CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Interesting TIVs
please post date+time / console / title / tiv

Long Term

------- FAQ BELOW - LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE -------

condition stuff seemingly pulled back by amazon, spoilered until I can reorg
Notice 4/14/11: New shenanigans abound! There is now a condition field for all trades - all trades are set to "Good" and may be determined to be worse than that ("Acceptable") or better ("Like New"). During the trade-in confirmation process you may choose whether to have an item in worse condition returned to you or just processed at the lower value. It does appear that this might mean that NORAM will start taking games/consoles without original packaging / manuals / etc which might be beneficial to some.

We'll see how this works out! To be added to the core FAQ after its newness wears off.

condition_example.png

Amazon.com Trade-in Home Page

Welcome to the Official CAG Amazon.com Trade-In Thread

THANKS TO DISILLUSION386 and GI60 FOR POSTING AND MAINTAINING THE PREVIOUS AMAZON TRADE-IN FAQ THREADS

This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss Amazon.com’s new video game trade-in program. The trade-in deal will be updated whenever one is available, and a list of flippable games will be in the second post. PLEASE READ THE TRADE-IN DEAL DETAILS AND FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Trade-In(s) of the Day
-= Can be found HERE =-

Amazon.com Trading Info

Amazon.com Video Game Trade-In Store

Trade-In Procedure

1. Select Games: Games must be in good condition and your trade-in shipment valued at $10 or more
2. Ship Games FREE: Print a shipping label and packing slip, package your games, and ship them
3. Get a Gift Card: An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games
Shipping Instructions

1. Print this entire page. (Packing slip and shipping label once you have submitted a trade)
2. Cut out the shipping label and the packing slip.
3. Make sure your items are in good working condition and include the case and cover art.
4. Securely pack the items in a box or envelope and include the packing slip in the package.
5. Attach the shipping label squarely onto the outside of the package and add your return address.
6. Take it to your nearest UPS Store and mail it by (one week from submission of trade)
7. Or you can ship to:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Drive
Hudson, NH 03051
Trade-In Product Eligibility

Trade-in items must match the exact version displayed in the Amazon Trade-In Store, not be damaged, include original packaging (e.g. the manual, cover art, and case), and be postmarked no later than 7 days after submission. You will receive an e-mail confirmation and an Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account within 2 business days of item receipt and verification by the merchant. Items not accepted by the merchant will be returned to you approximately 14 days after receipt.

GENERAL FAQ (Updated 12/10/09)

Can I post question on this thread?
Only if you can't find the answer from below. :lol: And please let me know if it needs to be added to FAQ.

My cover art (PLATINUM HITS) differs from the pic on amazon, will my trade be accepted?
It all depends on the UPC so just turn your game around, type in the upc into the amazon search box. If the game comes up, then it's accepted regardless of cover art. Click on that result to submit your trade.

Since when did Amazon start doing trades?
The program began in 2009 and is handled by a third party merchant, NorAm International.

What kind of shipping does Amazon provide us?
Free UPS ground ---- USPS is no longer available for free. There is now also an option to provide your own shipping.

Do I have to provide my own box or envelope?
Yes.

Do all my games in the same trade-in submission have to be shipped in the same box? (updated 3/9/11)
Not necessarily - people have sent in multiple boxes for the same trade-in submission successfully. It's even possible to send half at one time and the other half at the end of the valid shipping period. However, it's probably best to always ship everything at once.

Can I send in sealed games?
Yes. They won't reject games that still have the original shrink wrap.

Can I add Delivery Confirmation and Insurance to my shipment?
For UPS Ground
It already provides you with tracking information.

I don't trust UPS ground. Can I pay for postage myself? What's the address?
Yes. You're more than welcome to do so. The address is:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Dr
Hudson, NH 03051

(This is also an option when submitting your trades)

When do I have to send my games once I have submitted my trade order?
You have 1 week (7 days) to send your games. There have been reports of submitting trades up to 15 - 20 days late, but that is definitely ymmv. Send on time for the best chance at success!

Crap, I have one day to go before my shipment deadline, but the website states that my deadline has already passed. How do I print out a shipping label and packing slip?
Load up any existing order (if you don't have any, check your browser's history), and substitute the transaction ID for the trade-in order you need at the end of the URL.

How long does the whole trade-in process usually take?
From the time you send in your games, it may take up to 14 business days for the package to arrive. Most people usually receive their credit (Amazon GiftCard) in 3 to 5 business days, however.

How long does the "processing" status usually take?
Usually with no delay, but the longest reported days so far is 4.

My games were received on Friday (based on Delivery Confirmation), will I have to wait until Monday to receive credit?
People have received credit on a Saturday.

I do not have the manual, cover art, or original case for a game I want to trade in. Will they accept it?
While the details specifically state that original packaging is necessary, people have reported in the past that their trades were accepted despite missing some of these. This is extremely YMMV, however since some were also rejected by missing manual or cover art. On the other hand, older gen games; such as SNES, N64, and GB cartridges, normally get accepted without the original box and manual, but still YMMV.
It's always better if you trade your non-complete game as an additional credit, not part of the minimum requirement to qualify for the promo.

I do not have the manual, accessories, original box, original included game, etc for a console or accessory I want to trade in. Will they accept it? (updated 3/9/11)
The current wisdom is "probably not" - it's pretty YMMV but NorAm seems stricter than they should be on this. Your chances seem to be better for them accepting a console or accessory without the box / manual / etc if it's older generation or rare. You're more than welcome to give it a shot though if you're feeling lucky - just pack it well and include as much as you can!

My game is really beat up, what are the chances they’ll accept it?
This is YMMV. Some people have reported in the past that they sent in games in bad shape that were still accepted. Your best bet is still to trade in games in mint condition. Minor scratches are expected as these are used games.

My game is the Greatest Hits version, but the one pictured on the site isn’t. Can I still trade it in?
Unless the game in question has two separate versions that trade at different values, sending in a greatest hits version is okay.

I have a game from a limited edition bundle, will they accept it?
If the game’s cover art has a UPC barcode, they will most likely accept it. If your game's cover states "Not for Resale" and does not have a UPC barcode, the game will most likely get rejected. Some people have had their games accepted in the past, but this is YMMV.

The UPC barcode is not intact on my game's cover art, will that be accepted? (updated 3/9/11)
This is YMMV, but probably not. The UPC is all powerful within the walls of NorAm.

I sent in my games, all of which were in pristine condition with the original packaging, but they said that one game is damaged and is now being returned.
Always pack your games well. Put a lot of newspaper around your games in the box to secure them and to prevent any damages from haphazard box cutting. People in the past have requested their entire trade-in order if it’s obvious the damage wasn’t their fault, and Amazon ended up accepting the rejected game. This is YMMV as well.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
Yes. Once you click “Trade in” for a particular game, you may change the quantities. Once you submit, you can no longer change quantities on that trade-in batch.

How many multiple copies of the same game can I trade-in (updated 1/11/11)?
Maximum of 2 copies within 3 months period

I locked in X copies of a game but I now only have Y available to send. Can I just send in Y without being penalized? (updated 3/9/11)
Yes, you can always just send in a portion of your trade-in order and they'll just credit you for whatever they receive. However, the quantities you submitted for will stay locked in that instance (I think) so if you, for example, submitted for 2 copies and only sent 1, you may not be able to trade any more copies of that game for 3 months (see previous question).

Will the Trade-in of the Day TIV stay for 24 hours?
It's been reported that there is a limit (maximum # of copies) that will get the promoted TIV so lock yours.

So if I find a good flip, I can just send 2 copies of that game and not worry about Amazon accusing me of stolen merchandise?
Technically yes, but do keep in mind that other CAGs might want to participate in the current deal, and trading in a large number of the same game will definitely lower the TIV of said game. Let’s be nice to other people.

Wow, these TIVs suck (updated 3/9/11)!
Really? Hrm. While that may be true, they're often better than other comparable places. Your options of what to do with your used games are greater now than they've ever been, so feel free to shop your trades around or just sell them off on glyde/gamestaq/ebay/whatever.

What the fuck? The TIV of a game I just bought for this deal tanked! What do I do?
The TIVs on Amazon fluctuate depending on the number of trades that are submitted, and we really can’t do anything about it. The best course of action for trading in games is to lock in your trade if you already have the games or are absolutely sure that you can obtain them. You can always cancel the trade submission if you end up not finding the games.

LOCK = SUBMIT YOUR TRADE, Don't just put it in the cart.

Can I edit a submitted trade?
Nope - once upon a time you could modify trade in quantities of submitted trades, but that ability has been removed.

Can I use my credit (not the trade-in deal coupon) on items that are not video game-related?
Yes. This is the other perk for trading in games at Amazon since you're not limited to just video games.

Can I use my credit on items sold by third-party merchants on Amazon?
According to the fine print of the Amazon gift card use, some merchants are excluded. Your best bet is to try it on the checkout page of your order.

Strategy guides? I can trade in game/strategy guides? Whaaaaa?
Go to the Textbook Buyback section (http://www.amazon.com/Textbooks-Trad...ode=2205237011). You can either search on the title of a strategy guide you have to see if they'll accept it, or search for guides. The two best search strings to start with are 'prima guides' and 'bradygames'. Might try 'doublejump' if you want to trade in some of those. (Thanks eugaet)

I locked in some hilariously overvalued trade for some weird rare game/accessory/etc that I can pick up for cheap cheap cheap. They didn't accept it. What should I do? (updated 3/9/11)
The truth is that NORAM can reject things for any reason they see fit. While some people have managed to get silly things like a $200 credit for some cheerleading game, it's sooooooo YMMV that often it's not worth the effort. EXPECT REJECTION ON THINGS THAT ARE CLEARLY MISVALUED. That said, as long as you're willing to risk it, go for it!

trade-in promo related faq spoilered for history. promos no longer offered by amazon
---- TRADE-IN PROMO RELATED FAQ ---

When do I receive my coupon code for the current trade-in deal, if any?
The Terms of Service states 10 days after Amazon has accepted your games and added credit to your account, but it usually takes 2 to 3 days.

Can I do two different trade-in submissions that add up to the requirements of the current trade-in deal, if any?
No. In order to qualify for any of the trade-in promos, they have to all be in one trade-in submission. You can't add another game later on to make the minimum. However, you can adjust the quantity of the submitted game to make the minimum.

I submitted my trade-in order online, how do I know if I qualified for the current trade-in deal, if any? Is there a confirmation page or e-mail?
No. They will automatically send you a coupon code once they have accepted your shipment of games and credited your account.

Is the trade-in deal coupon in addition to the credit I will receive for my games?
Yes.

Can I trade in DVDs to take advantage of the current trade-in deal?
You may trade in DVDs to add credit to your Amazon account, but they will not be added to the amount you need to qualify for the deal.

Can I take advantage of the current trade-in (if available) promo more than once?
These deals are “One per household” unless stated otherwise. However, you may use a different Amazon account. The credit for your games will be tied to the specific account used for the trade, but the coupon codes for the deals are not.
*However, some people has confirmed that they get multiple coupon by using 1 Amazon account after doing multiple submission.
NOTE: IF YOU SEND MORE THAN 1 SUBMISSION, THE MULTIPLE COUPONS MIGHT COME IN 1 EMAIL, THE CODE IS SEPARATED BY A COMMA.

If the coupon codes aren’t tied to my account, can I use more than one coupon on my next purchase?
No. Unless stated otherwise in the promo details, these coupons cannot be combined with other offers or promotions.

So if they reject one of my games, am I disqualified from the current trade-in deal, if any?
Unfortunately yes. The best suggestion for trading in games is to trade in $10-$20 more than the minimum for the deal. By doing so, you will still qualify for the promo even if one or two games get rejected.

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon on preorders?
Yes.

What happen to the Coupon code if I cancel the preorder?
The coupon code will stay with your account. It will be applied automatically at check-out as long as the coupon is not expired.

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon when shopping from other merchants on Amazon?
No. ONLY ITEMS SOLD BY AMAZON.COM QUALIFY FOR PURCHASE WITH THE TRADE-IN COUPON. Even Amazon's other sites (Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.jp, etc.) do not participate in these trade-in deals.

Trade-in coupon Usage:
Previous promo coupons and their expiration dates (NO ACTIVE PROMOS CURRENTLY):

1st Promo - $ 50 / $75 Coupon (coupon exp: 8/31) - Game Console Only
2nd Promo - 50 % Coupon (coupon exp: 8/31) - Game and Accessories
3rd Promo - $ 30 Coupon (coupon exp: 12/31) - Game Console, Game and Accessories
4th Promo - $ 30 Coupon (coupon exp: 12/31) - Game Console Only

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I see it as an annoying decision because I own a white slim ps2 already that powers on and everything except the laser doesn't move. So it's kinda like, why should I spend more...ugh...sigh. Maybe when I wake up in a few I'll decide to go through the trouble. I probably have to take all the refurb gamestop stickers off of the system too. Yay

lol kind of misleading I would say. Looks have nothing to do with it. Most of the refurbs and most preowned look bad. The only difference is just that GameStop did internal repairs on the refurbs and put their own sticker in place of the original warranty seal.

Personally I would make sure to get preowned with the original warranty seal as Noram might decide to reject a system if it is missing. I know GameStop is not supposed to take them in without it although some employees take them in anyway. They don't specifically mention anything about warranty labels though.

Of course my trade in account is saying ship deadline past. I will not be happy if they reject because of this. It did say ship by 5/20 which is today, but that should include today. I've never waited this long to send in trades.

[quote name='AshesofWake']and I believe GS only sells them refurbished and not preowned. That's all I've seen when i've gone.[/QUOTE]

They definitely sell both. Unless something is wrong with a system they don't get refurbished. Of course some stores might be not have any preowned in stock. The two stores I went to had some of both.

Seems like Amazon is offering tiered values based on condition now:

Good (complete/mint) gets 100% of the value shown.

Acceptable (incomplete/some markings) gets 70% of Good condition value.

The Acceptable requirements are:
Please check your item to ensure it meets this criteria: Game still plays perfectly, Item may have been personalized (marked or identified), Item may be missing or have irreparable damage to one or all of the following: case, manual, artwork, bundled accessories, UPC

The reasons for rejection on Acceptable items are:
Video Game - Not Acceptable Eligibility Criteria: Game does not play perfectly, Disc is cracked, Marked Not for Resale (or is otherwise marked not for sale)

Does this sound like disc-only games are now good to go for the "Acceptable" values?

My PS2 was accepted today for $200 as well! Woohoo! Not bad for a $30 Craigslist find.

I shipped:
PS2 fat system
PS2 original black controller (actually took this from my slim since the one I got from CL was a bit banged up)
PS2 power cable
PS2 composite AV cable
Original box

No manuals.

Nice just shipped off a cleaned fat PS2, AV cable, power cable, and my slim DS2 everything in excellent, working condition and packed tightly. I don't foresee any problem areas so fingers crossed!

[quote name='nas6034']So mine was rejected for missing original ps 2 dualshock controller and missing the expansion port cover. Wowzers.[/QUOTE]

thank god I decided to purchase an expansion bay cover. I mean, if they're trying to resell the system I can see how if I got a system missing the cover I would raise a fuss.

The rejections so far sound like legit reasons. I'm actually surprised they are accepting them when they really shouldn't. I'm sure they are going to be more strict though...

If a button doesn't work all the time...legit rejection
If there is a crack on your console...legit rejection
If a PS2 game doesn't load right away due to failing laser...legit rejection

Make sure you guys test it out and send it in the best condition possible.

[quote name='Brenex']thank god I decided to purchase an expansion bay cover. I mean, if they're trying to resell the system I can see how if I got a system missing the cover I would raise a fuss.[/QUOTE]

exactly. Whats funny is that people will raise a fuss for the smallest issues and demand a return...so does noram :lol:

everyone who gets their PS2 accepted should thank the guy that notified us of the deal....and IO for not attempting it ;)

ok im done whoring the thread.

[quote name='Japakneez']The rejections so far sound like legit reasons. I'm actually surprised they are accepting them when they really shouldn't. I'm sure they are going to be more strict though...

If a button doesn't work all the time...legit rejection
If there is a crack on your console...legit rejection
If a PS2 game doesn't load right away due to failing laser...legit rejection

Make sure you guys test it out and send it in the best condition possible.[/QUOTE]

Before you fellate NorAm too much, they did reject my (rather high) trade-in for an Xbox 360 Elite due to a broken controller. Only problem was my controller was working perfectly when I sent it and it's working perfectly now that I got it back. The issue was with the battery cover, and I suspect they messed with the metal contacts cause I used that same battery cover before I sent it in and it worked just fine.

Got Ps2 back and tested the rejection reason, and seemed to work fine for me the 10 times i did it. Tempted to send it in for the lower value just to see if it is accepted then.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Got Ps2 back and tested the rejection reason, and seemed to work fine for me the 10 times i did it. Tempted to send it in for the lower value just to see if it is accepted then.[/QUOTE]

oooo good idea!
waiting to see if mine (just one) is accepted ...

good to see that it's not a consistent rejection across the board, at least (though misery loves company)
If it was my only PS2 I wouldn't do it, but my current in-use slim and a backup from target clearance slim affords me the ability to play around with this trade-in fun.

The ps3 120gb has a nice trade in value of $217 ... but I dont have the av cables it came with as I bought better cables. Will that likely get rejected sending in different av cables?

[quote name='ploppsdman']The ps3 120gb has a nice trade in value of $217 ... but I dont have the av cables it came with as I bought better cables. Will that likely get rejected sending in different av cables?[/QUOTE]

From the experiences others were having with items that were "overpriced" on trade in, it might cause problems. I think you take a risk, but if you have nothing else to do with it, I'd try it?

Now for my question! I was thinking I'd just send one of this new ps3 160gbs in since I'd love to be able to sell it for 230 on CL, but there are no takers and Amazon cred is as good as cash for me. I just realized, though, that I'm not sure what Kind of box to put this in... what are you guys using? Kind of a dumb question, right?

[quote name='DerClaw']
Now for my question! I was thinking I'd just send one of this new ps3 160gbs in since I'd love to be able to sell it for 230 on CL, but there are no takers and Amazon cred is as good as cash for me. I just realized, though, that I'm not sure what Kind of box to put this in... what are you guys using? Kind of a dumb question, right?[/QUOTE]

yes

Derclaw, didn't you already use cash to buy the PS3? A craigslist flip sounds much more desirable.

ploppsdman....just go to gamestop and buy av cables for a few bucks. The risk of losing your locked in TIV is not worth it when it can be solved so easily.

[quote name='Japakneez']Derclaw, didn't you already use cash to buy the PS3? A craigslist flip sounds much more desirable.

ploppsdman....just go to gamestop and buy av cables for a few bucks. The risk of losing your locked in TIV is not worth it when it can be solved so easily.[/QUOTE]

Nobody is biting on CL and I'd prefer to lock in 230 with amazon than continue futzing around with people that want to low-ball me 180, but aren't going to go get the Target deal themselves.

One of the two excellent condition PS2s I picked up at GameStop being returned as "Damaged". Still waiting to hear about the other one. Such BS.

[quote name='K_G']kinect is now up to $104.35 in trade in value for "like new condition"[/QUOTE]

very nice but i really don't like this condition selector. scary :cold:

Please check your item to ensure it meets this criteria:

• Item is in perfect working condition
  • Item has been opened but original manufacturer packaging and all original elements are intact
  • There is no visible wear or personalization

This is pissing me off. NorAm has 3 games they received on May 12th. I've contacted customer support about it twice, it's been almost 2 weeks they've had it and no gift card. Best they can tell me is "it'll be 2 business days after it's processed". Finally the rep told me contact them June 2nd if I don't have a giftcard yet. Sometimes Amazon's support is pretty fail.

Well at least my second PS2 just got accepted. That makes me not quite as frustrated. Also two brand new Street Fighter Fight Pads I sent in as Like New were accepted.

[quote name='aem']Well at least my second PS2 just got accepted. That makes me not quite as frustrated. Also two brand new Street Fighter Fight Pads I sent in as Like New were accepted.[/QUOTE]
Chat or Call CS when you recieve the other PS2 tell hem you sent everything you needed it was complete, like new condition etc.. and they'll credit you $200

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Chat or Call CS when you recieve the other PS2 tell hem you sent everything you needed it was complete, like new condition etc.. and they'll credit you $200[/QUOTE]

Think about what you are saying. Mods need to delete posts like this...delete mine while we are at it.

Why not send in the highest TIV item amazon has, purposely forget an accessory, then Chat or Call CS to get your credit?

What is required for the Xbox HD-DVD player? Amazon is sending mine back. The only thing I think I'm missing would be the remote, but I'm not sure I even have that anymore.

[quote name='imacgod']What is required for the Xbox HD-DVD player? Amazon is sending mine back. The only thing I think I'm missing would be the remote, but I'm not sure I even have that anymore.[/QUOTE]

newegg has pics. Looks like a USB cable, power cord, power adapter, remote, installation disc. LINK

[quote name='K_G']kinect is now up to $104.35 in trade in value for "like new condition"[/QUOTE]

that's tempting
can't decide if I want to keep it or trade it in....I haven't played it since january or so. Only games I have for it is kinect sports, dance central and your shape.

[quote name='Japakneez']newegg has pics. Looks like a USB cable, power cord, power adapter, remote, installation disc. LINK[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Bah. I don't think they'll take it as acceptable either. I might just try to pick up a remote from GameStop if I can find the small ones still. I am just that desperate to get rid of it. I just have no use for it, but I rather not just toss it in the trash.

[quote name='fujimitsu']The thought of taking

OMG...made almost a $200 profit on a 4 year old digital camera I sent them. Can't believe they'd upgrade the condition of an item they were already gonna lose money on to begin with (I went with "acceptable", they thought it was "like new").

Gonna have to start looking around for PS2's to flog like the rest of you guys hehehe

Another success!!! I'm a little shocked to be honest lol. I locked in 2 ps2s @ $200 but didn't have much luck finding them on craigslist so ended up buying 2 from amazon warehouse deals for $51.99 in "good" condition. Both came without box/manuals, but decided to roll the dice and send them in, and both were delivered yesterday morning and just got the first 1 accepted with $200 gift card deposited!!! I powered them both on and played a game I had, the first one booted no problems (a little loud, but it's been a long time since i played an orginal ps2 as I have a slim), but the second one was a little slower to load the game, but still played without a problem.

YES! My PS2 was just accepted today for $200!!! Two weekends ago, I saw the value, locked it in, then that very next morning, snagged a phat with 2 controllers, 2 memory cards, and Kingdom Hearts for $20 (the unit was missing a power cord). I kept one of the controllers and the memory cards, traded KH into GS for about $10, then spiffed up the unit a bit, and tossed in an extra power cord I had. Only wish I would have locked in two!

If the PS3 would not just drop $100 for E3, then I will have basically traded in a PS2 for a PS3.

Excellent news jdb & sga :) I took mine to UPS last Friday before the last pick-up and was just delivered to Hudson today.

I'm a little worried though since I sent it without any box; I placed shipping paper at the bottom, plus some air-filled bags, wrapped the PS2 in a clear plastic bag then wrapped it with some air-cushioned material, wrapped the cables and control with air-cushioned material too and placed more paper on top before I taped the box up.

Now I wait.

Shipped off my PS2 on the 17th, it got there yesterday and got the giftcard put into my account this morning. Thanks to whoever posted about the PS2 trade in. Btw, mines was missing the box and manuals but was still accepted.

Another PS2 goldmine here, mine got accepted today. Was sent on the 20th, delivered yesterday and the GC balance was given today. I had all the original gear though, from the box, to manual, cords and controller. About as new as one could get. ;)

Damn - I feel like an idiot for not being more proactive with this trade in deal. I figured it would have been a failure and all of these success stories are making me jelly.

If someone drops me a PM next time there is a high $$$ TIV for a PS2 fat, I'll give you 25% of the value received (minus the cost of the unit) if it is accepted and you are the first person to PM me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back