Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

Anyone hear anything interesting about black friday deals? So far im not seeing much. Troll and Toad is teasing a sale but I have most of what they are teasing and they are not listing prices besides....

Not that I've heard, but I have had the chance to use some of the kick-ass coupons Barnes and Noble as been sending. They helped me finally bite on Arkham Horror, Forbidden Island and the core rules for Dark Heresy.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Not that I've heard, but I have had the chance to use some of the kick-ass coupons Barnes and Noble as been sending. They helped me finally bite on Arkham Horror, Forbidden Island and the core rules for Dark Heresy.[/QUOTE]

How much did Arkham Horror run you?

Also Jesus tap dancing christ is Ghost Stories hard. Iv played about 20 games and not only have I not won a single game but I also have yet to even get through the number of ghosts needed to summon in the big baddy!

I'm thinking about ordering Elder Sign. Anyone played it? It looks like it could be fun.

Also probably going to order Cards Against Humanity, which looks like a very entertaining party game.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']A little over $40. Certainly not the best I've ever seen, but far better than MSRP.[/QUOTE]

its $40 every day at coolstuffinc.com ;)

@ramstoria Elder sign is on IOS so if you have/no anyone that has an IOS device it may be a cheap way to try before you buy.

Lol, true enough. The only reason I actually picked it up was because I use the coupon in store. it was one of those instant gratification things. If they had Cosmic Encounters, I probably would have picked that up instead.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How much did Arkham Horror run you?

Also Jesus tap dancing christ is Ghost Stories hard. Iv played about 20 games and not only have I not won a single game but I also have yet to even get through the number of ghosts needed to summon in the big baddy![/QUOTE]

One of the keys to Ghost Stories is to not to as much as possible, not risk trying to exorcise a ghost, always be sure you *can* exorcise it via tokens. Then if you get lucky with the dice you get to keep your tokens and if you aren't lucky, you didn't waste a turn. Wasting a turn is probably the worst thing you can do. Also don't try to play with all 4 monks at first - that's way harder. Play with one monk. Also put the budda tile in the middle so you can easily grab buddas and power tokens, and in fact you can grab both buddas in your first turn by using a power token (using the monk's power that lets you use a tile twice), then get the power token back at the end of the turn. Also I recommend playing with I think it's the yellow monk - the one that lets you take a token each turn.

Also, try playing this extra easy variant to start:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/401031/extra-easy-initiation-mode-1-4-players

That helped me get the hang of the game and then you can work you way back to the stock set of cards, a little at a time. After that you'll probably find you often win on Initiate. I've even won on the hardest level since.

[quote name='crunchewy']One of the keys to Ghost Stories is to not to as much as possible, not risk trying to exorcise a ghost, always be sure you *can* exorcise it via tokens. Then if you get lucky with the dice you get to keep your tokens and if you aren't lucky, you didn't waste a turn. Wasting a turn is probably the worst thing you can do. Also don't try to play with all 4 monks at first - that's way harder. Play with one monk. Also put the budda tile in the middle so you can easily grab buddas and power tokens, and in fact you can grab both buddas in your first turn by using a power token (using the monk's power that lets you use a tile twice), then get the power token back at the end of the turn. Also I recommend playing with I think it's the yellow monk - the one that lets you take a token each turn.

Also, try playing this extra easy variant to start:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/401031/extra-easy-initiation-mode-1-4-players

That helped me get the hang of the game and then you can work you way back to the stock set of cards, a little at a time. After that you'll probably find you often win on Initiate. I've even won on the hardest level since.[/QUOTE]

I dont own the actual game, just the IOS release so I cant play variants. I may pick it up eventually though because it seems like a game that with a few variants to make it more reasonable would be really fun.

It's a worthy purchase for sure. And the game is more fun played with others. I've played it with my kids and even they enjoy working together on it. It definitely helped there to play the extra easy variant. Then they had fun.

Any good Cyber Monday deals out there? I saw that Fantasy Flight has a fairly decent sale on their website, with a particularly good deal on Ad Astra.

Only thing I am seeing is that fairplaygames.com has free shipping on an order over $125 which combines with a general 7% off orders of $150. Their prices usually are not THE best but are close to the best. So if you can afford to place an order of that size you may shave $10 or so off what you would have spent elsewhere ;(

I also found the following sales that may or may not be worth it. Credit goes to various people over at boardgamegeek

Amazon
-----------------------------------------
Ticket to ride $30

Thoughthammer
------------------------------------------------------------
Killer Bunnies: Red Booster Expansion
$12.00
$8.40
Sale $4.00

GiftTrap
$39.99
$25.99
Sale $18.00

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
$50.00
$25.00
Sale $18.00

The Lord of the Rings: Return to Mirkwood
$14.95
$10.47
Sale $8.00

Spielbox Magazine 2011/4 (English Edition, Carcassonne Stickers, Lupus Card)
$12.00
$10.20
Sale $7.00

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
$34.99
$26.24
Sale $21.00

Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised
$24.95
$17.47
Sale $12.00

Troyes
$54.99
$41.24
Sale $36.00

Dreadfleet
$115.00
$115.00
Sale $70.00

Coolstuffinc
---------------------------------------
Order of the Stick Adventure Game Deluxe Edition
Was $35.99 Now $25.99

Innovation Card Game
Was $17.99 Now $12.99

Galapa Go!
Was $8.49 Now $5.99

Got'Em! Board Game
Was $19.99 Now $14.99

Age of Steam Expansion: Amazon Rainforest & Sahara Desert
Was $16.99 Now $12.99

Naval SITREP No.40
Was $4.99 Now $3.49

Nordic Twilight (ASLComp)
Was $41.99 Now $29.99

Penny Arcade: The Game, Gamers vs Evil
Was $29.99 Now $22.99

The Walking Dead (TV Series) Board Game
Was $26.99 Now $19.99

Small World: Cursed! Expansion
Was $6.99 Now $5.49

Small World: Grand Dames Expansion
Was $6.99 Now $5.49

Age of Steam: Germany/France Expansion
Was $18.99 Now $12.99

Age of Steam: Time Traveler Expansion
Was $24.99 Now $17.99

New England Railways
Was $39.99 Now $29.99

A Mighty Fortress
Was $27.99 Now $21.99

Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game
Was $22.99 Now $18.99

Rune Age
Was $22.99 Now $17.99

Ventura Board Game
Was $51.99 Now $41.99

Genesis
Was $34.99 Now $19.99

Sun of York
Was $36.99 Now $28.99

BuyWord Deluxe
Was $22.99 Now $17.49

Pastiche
Was $34.99 Now $27.99

Heroscape Collection 1: Heroes of Bleakwoode Expansion
Was $11.99 Now $6.99

Heroscape Collection 1: Snipers & Vipers Expansion
Was $11.99 Now $6.99

Heroscape Collection D1: Heroes of Faerun Expansion
Was $9.99 Now $4.99

Heroscape Collection D2: Heroes of Khorvaire
Was $5.99 Now $2.99

Looney Pyramids: Rainbow Booster
Was $6.59 Now $4.99

Looney Pyramids: Xeno Booster
Was $6.59 Now $4.99

Leonardo Da Vinci Board Game
Was $35.99 Now $9.99

Shogun: Tenno's Court Expansion
Was $32.49 Now $26.99

Ranking Board Game
Was $25.99 Now $19.99

Giant Cthulhu Dice: Green/yellow
Was $10.99 Now $8.99

Giant Cthulhu Dice: Purple/green
Was $10.99 Now $8.99

Giant Cthulhu Dice: Red/gold
Was $10.99 Now $8.99

Giant Cthulhu Dice: Yellow/black
Was $10.99 Now $8.99

Age of Industry
Was $45.99 Now $37.99

Days of Steam Board Game
Was $33.99 Now $24.99

Steam Over Holland
Was $104.99 Now $84.99

A Christmas Story Party Game
Was $16.49 Now $11.99

Boots on the Ground
Was $31.49 Now $22.99

Secret of Monte Cristo Board Game
Was $35.99 Now $27.99

Troyes Board Game
Was $35.99 Now $25.99

Barnesandnoble.com has 5$ off a game purchase of 10$ or more. They also have a coupon of 30% off one item (code: N7C7K8T), online only, 11/28 - 11/29.

Welp I am a week week man. Pistache, Leonardo and Blood Bowls discounts were enough to sucker me in to a full $100 order.

For $98 after my 3% costumer discount
Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $18.99 each
Pastiche (New, Board Games, Gryphon Games) at $27.99 each
Leonardo Da Vinci Board Game (New, Board Games, Mayfair Games) at $9.99 each
you read it right; that is the correct price for a mint condition, factory fresh, sealed copy of leonardo da vinci
Nuns on the Run Board Game (New, Board Games, Mayfair Games) at $28.00 each
Batt'l Kha'os Board Game (New, Board Games, Z-Man Games) at $16.49 each

What can I say Im a sucker! I updated my boardgamegeek list finally too. We apparently now own 146 board games ;)

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/MSIMagus

fairplaygames.com has a FREESHIP100 code for free shipping over $100, which is better than normal, and their prices, at least for the stuff I just priced, is better than coolstuffinc. I'm trying to resist, though. i really didn't want to buy $100+ worth of games. I was originally just thinking of getting Ticket to Ride Europe and maybe Asia. Sigh.

Hmmm what games were you looking at? I checked a few and they and coolstuffinc were pretty on par(if anything coolstuff was slightly better)

I'm itching to jump on that Dreadfleet deal. I have a soft spot for Games Workshop stuff, but it's harder than hell to find people who have the time to sit down and run a few.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmm what games were you looking at? I checked a few and they and coolstuffinc were pretty on par(if anything coolstuff was slightly better)[/QUOTE]

Ticket to Ride Europe ($31.95 vs. $34.95) and Ticket to Ride Asia ($19.95 vs. $20.49) for starters. In fact all of the games I looked at, when I was putting in $100 worth of stuff, were cheaper at FairPlayGames.com.

But if I'm just buying one or two, then Amazon is cheaper than both. It's only more if you are willing to spend $100 on games at once.

Hmmmm well ill be damned. maybe amazon is finally trying to compete in the board game market. They are indeed cheaper for quite a few games.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmmm well ill be damned. maybe amazon is finally trying to compete in the board game market. They are indeed cheaper for quite a few games.[/QUOTE]

You're never going to get to a 4% discount with that attitude. ;)

I go wherever the cheap games are! Amazon being cheapest would also be nice because I wouldnt have to always make $100 orders, I could just buy a game or two.

[quote name='MSI Magus']*blinks* Amazon was cheaper? Amazon is never freaking cheaper....[/QUOTE]

What I meant was that if you don't buy $100 worth of games then you pay high shipping at CoolStuffInc and FairPlayGames, and that makes it more expensive. For the most part amazon's prices are higher, sometimes significantly higher, but you don't pay shipping, especially if you have Prime, but usually even if not.

I got my copy of Creatures yesterday (Kickstarter). The game is simple, but fun. My boys love it, and that's a big win. Also the magnet set is awesome! I wish I'd put in more money and gotten the full set of magnets. Oh well. I was worried this would prove to be a dud like EBZ, but perhaps the simplicity of it made it a more likely success. Mind you, we only played once, but it was fun. My kids are anxious to play again tonight.

Anyone pick up the Metal Gear Risk board game? I really want to make the purcahse this week, but would like a little preview or review if possible...

Everyone should think about getting in on the kickstarter for D-Day Dice. The game looks good and those that have played it so far are saying it is indeed very good. Added to this though is that since the game had been so heavily funded the developer has offered people tons of bonuses.

For $35 you no longer just get the game but all those bonuses including - A bag with the games logo to carry it and a few future expansions, 6 sets of special dice limited only to kickstarters, promo cards limited to kick starters and the game itself will come in a metal tin limited to kickstarters.

Thats a ton of value for $35...I imagine even if you do not like the game you can probably get like twice your money back just by selling all that promo stuff later on.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/d-day-dice-board-game

I got the solo 75 level. I recall looking at DDay Dice early enough on that I could have gotten one of the Line for Lifes but I thought it was kinda pricey. This was before the gravy train of goodies.
I think I personally would prefer if the 50$ level had all the solo/co-op additions, not the German side stuff. One, it's a little odd to play the Germans in a WWII game, and two, I like the co-op. But I did it anyway.

I finallygot to play Creatures tonight with my boy. (Looking at the Creatures store website, I don't think KS 'saved' a whole lot of money, but did save a little and including shipping, and got the Chupacabra exclusive.) We played it four times and he wanted to play again. It's a fun family or social game.

I didnt end up getting creatures. My gut said it would be good but my head said stupid kids game.

I did however just pick up Legend of Drizzt! Amazon lowered its price to $40 so I finally caved. I have always wanted a dungeon crawl style game anyways and never bit on one. I think ill also grab Dungeon Run soon. Newest purchases put my collection at 147!

Coolstuffinc has about 50 games on sale. There are actually some really good games in there this time around and some games have DEEP discounts.

Trollandtoad is having a much lamer sale and has a 10% off code(but their stuff is usually far more then 10% more expensive then competitors anyways).

Nothing that really jumps out at me, but a buddy of mine has been on the fence about Dust Tactics. Maybe a few bucks less than Amazon will make him finally bite. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='thamaster24']Anyone have Pandemic? How is it?[/QUOTE]

I have Pandemic and enjoy the heck out of it. It can be a bit more challenging than other co-op games that I've played. In fact, I lose and must watch as the world becomes a virus-infested hotzone more often than I actually win. But I still think it's a heck of a good time.

[quote name='thamaster24']Anyone have Pandemic? How is it?[/QUOTE]

My wife and I hate it but we are in a minority on that one. In general it seems to be seen as a great co op game.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Yeah I've heard really good things about it but I'm sure it can get frustrating.

I'll probably pick it up then, I've been looking for a good co-op game for a while.

Hey, I've picked up some board games in the last few months that I would like to sell/trade.

Dragon Strike
Pathfinder
Star Wars Miniatures Revenge of the Sith Starter set with 5 additional miniatures
WWF Superstars
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game (2004 edition)

If any of these interest anyone, send me a PM.

Joe

coolstuffinc is doing a holiday sale. Some decent stuff there.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_saleItems.php

I picked up

Jungle Speed: Rabids
Forbidden Island
K2
Dungeon Run(not part of sale)
Puzzle Strike

Officially puts my wife and I at just over 150 board games owned I think we need to take a break but hopefully we can hit 200 by this time next year!

Edit - Also if anyone can give me more info on Heroscape it would be appreciated. My wife and I have heard so many positive things about this game, but at BGG there are like 30 different Heroscape and expansions listed. I am not sure what the base set I should start with is nor if I am best off buying at ebay or what it would cost me to get in to this game. Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tok Tok Woodman is *great*. Got that from kickstarting it, but made it an xmas gift for me from my wife. :) It's a dexterity game and is fun and funny. It's been a big hit with pretty much everyone so far.

I also got Ticket to Ride Asia and really like it. I haven't been able to try the team game yet, but I like the new mountain passes. Also I like the card stands for holding tickets. Those come in handy, even though really intended for the team game. Note that it's an expansion and you need any set that includes 2 to 5 player play (USA, Europe, ...). One of the new features are mountain passes. These are tough on train cars, so aside from playing enough trains to complete the route, you also have to discard additional trains equal to the number of X icons on the route. These are all shorter routes, 1 to 3 trains long, but cost you more trains than that. The map itself seems great.

I know a few of you had me as a geekbuddy over at board game geek. My wife and I wanted to start doing our own board game reviews though so I switched my account name to reflect the both of us. If anyone is interested here are our first two reviews.

Dungeon Run
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/745035/a-he-says-she-says-review-stabbins-for-the-win

No Thanks
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12942/no-thanks

We should have a review for Carnival go up later tonight and then this weekend should finish Bat'le K'haos or however the hell they spell that games stupid name. We most likely will get Qwirkle up and maybe one other to boot.

Nice reviews MSI Magus! You should let us know when you post some more on there.

I'm trying to win a contest for the FrankenDie game that's on kickstarter. I have a contest I posted on here if any of you are interested in winning a 3 month XBL gold card just for voting. The contest posted over here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312893

If you're not interested in the contest, and just want to help out, just go here and "like" my photo!
http://madguild.com/entries.php?e=15

Thanks!

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Nice reviews MSI Magus! You should let us know when you post some more on there.

I'm trying to win a contest for the FrankenDie game that's on kickstarter. I have a contest I posted on here if any of you are interested in winning a 3 month XBL gold card just for voting. The contest posted over here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312893

If you're not interested in the contest, and just want to help out, just go here and "like" my photo!
http://madguild.com/entries.php?e=15

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Our review for Carnival is up already. We are going to try and put up at least 1 new review a week from now on. Should most likely go up on the weekend. This week we are working on Pastiche, Qwirkle and Battle Khaos.

Hey guys, first time posting here.

I just bought a Donkey Kong board game from eBay. Everything's in great shape, except the stickers on the game pieces are dried up and don't stick to them anymore.

Anyone have any recommendations on anything special to use to reapply them? I figured that glue sticks and the such probably would be too weak to get 'em back on.

I apparently had previously pre-ordered the Ticket To Ride India: Map Collection and forgot about it. It shipped today, which was news to me. LOL. I didn't really need another TTR expansion right now (barely have gotten to try Asia yet!), but oh well. I'm sure I'll like it.

Two quick reviews from the past week on games I got:

Civilization: This game is fun and feels a lot like the PC game but it is very long, especially with players that are prone to AP.

Eminent Domain: A fun and easy game that feels like a deck building version of race for the galaxy without all the symbols.

Hoping to get Ora Et Labora this week, I love all of Uwe Rosenberg's games.

CAG has been really odd the last month or so for me. For some reason 9/10 times I log in it logs me right back out and even after being logged in if I change more then a page or two it logs me back out. Have not been posting as a result.

Anyways we are still plugging away at the reviews and have been doing at least 1 a week(and we have like 6 backstocked). Next few weeks alone we plan on doing Summoner Wars, Nightfall, Pastiche, Battle Khaos and several others. If anyone is interested I created a geek list for them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102808/a-he-says-she-says-review-geek-list

Feel free to add me as a friend at BGG too since apparently CAG is broken for me now!

O and add me on Steam if you guys use it. MSIMagus or MSI Magus. It would be nice to have some board gamers to talk to!

Edit - And to give an indication of how bad CAG is for me now it took me 3 or so minutes to get this posted and a few more minutes to get it to allow me to log in and edit it.

bread's done
Back