Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SteveMcQ']Few questions:
1) What was the last game you played?
2) Did you have any warning signs like graphical glitches before it died?
3) Do you have it plugged into a surge protector or directly into a wall outlet?

Just curious. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

1) guitar hero 3
2) yes, it froze a lot and the graphics were often distorted
3) surge protector

i sent mine in a little over a week ago.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']1) guitar hero 3
2) yes, it froze a lot and the graphics were often distorted
3) surge protector

[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly my situation. Still waiting on my coffin to arrive.

[quote name='Moxio']Good question.

1) I live in Seattle, which never really gets higher than 80 in the summer, remains around 35-50 in winter, so it's definitely an area milder than most.

2) My 360 was in a space with TONS of breathing room; it wasn't in a closed center or anything.

3) It got little use, esp. compared to some of the people on this board.

*shrug*[/quote]

I live in Northern VA, so it gets cold here sometimes. Where the 360 is at is usually one of the coldest room in the house. I kept everything away from it so it had a lot of breathing room. It's going to break down, no matter how much you baby it.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Few questions:
1) What was the last game you played?
2) Did you have any warning signs like graphical glitches before it died?
3) Do you have it plugged into a surge protector or directly into a wall outlet?

Just curious. Thanks.[/quote]

1. Halo 3. Making some cool racing maps in the forge. Started locking up a number of times in the forge then it multiplayer.

2. I have never had any graphical glitches so that was good I guess.

3. Surge protector but it just doesn't matter.

I finally got an update from xbox.com, my 360 has been shipped to customer :)
So I guess by the end of the week, it should be here. Its another serial number so I am praying that it's not someone else's 360 or a pre fall 2007 model. :pray:

I don't know how you CAG's get it back in 2 weeks after sending it off, but mine was 3 weeks. Next time I am slipping a $20 with a note saying "Please fix this as fast as you can ;)" in the coffin.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Hi,
When does the Xbox.com Website Update? I sent it Friday, if that matters.[/quote]

Hi,

It takes a day or two. So you finally got your coffin? When did it come?

Yeah I hope I get a reliable 360 in return, though from what I've heard I can expect to go through this coffin phase many times in the future. Ugh.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I'm so worried i'm gonna get junk returned to me :/[/quote]

You mean something other than a 360 in your box?

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah I hope I get a reliable 360 in return, though from what I've heard I can expect to go through this coffin phase many times in the future. Ugh.[/quote]

I think if we get anything made late 2007 or this year we should be in the green. There has to be some sort of limit to how many 360's can you return to them before they just give you a brand new, factory sealed unit.

So, it's been nearly 2 weeks since my xbox was returned to me and I've been waiting (knowing full well it wouldn't happen, of course) for my burnout paradise disc to show up on my doorstep as told by the guy we spoke to the second time.

So when it didn't show up, we decided to call. Got connected to a woman who sounded european but I couldn't place the accent, who was nice enough, but we went through the standard hoops of her repeating things 14 times while solving absolutely nothing. She finally told me a supervisor would be calling in 72 hours. Alright.

Supervisor called this morning. English was not her strong suit. Robotic-indian-voice was. Sigh. Tried to explain the situation to her and confirm she had the right info with very little luck. I ended up having to raise my voice at her when she tried telling me the inventory says there was no disc in the system. Okay, I might be able to handle being told 'we can't send you the disc back because you didn't tell us until it was in the mail', but I'm not about to be told my game wasn't included in what I can only assume was an attempt to brush me off.

After going around with her explaining why it was included yet again she told me she'd have a supervisor from Microsoft (um?) call me back again within 72 hours. Maybe this time I'll get someone who can actually understand the problem... wishful thinking.

Just got my 360 back a few hours ago, and it's working perfectly fine now, thank God.

I'm abit upset that I got my same console back, since it's from 06, and I really would have liked an 08 one, but it seems as-if they replaced every single thing in the system itself, except the casing.

My 360's vent's don't even match the color of my hard-drive anymore, that's how new they are, haha, but I'm glad to finally have it back.

Now, it's time to go beat Ao2 (was on the last level, the day it died) and then go try out Dark Sector, and the five or so other games I bought in anticipation of the return of my 360.

Question for you cags who had a unit from 2006 that RROD on them.

This is what the updated system says

Warranty Start: 12/12/2006 4:18:00 PM
Warranty Expiration: 7/4/2008 7:59:59 PM

Since my was a refurb (from microcenter) when i bought it, it was a 3-14-06 model, I guess who ever owned it registered it on 12/12/06. The one they are sending me is a different serial number, but it is unknown if it is NEW or my old system with a new serial sticker on it. Given the fact that it is stating the 12/12/06 as the warranty start, does that mean that I am getting my old 360 back instead of a new one or would a new one would say something recent like 4/6/08 as the start date?

[quote name='doc_zaius']They just sent me my 4th 360! no HDMI on the back unfortunately....

how do you tell what version is inside?[/quote]

The side flash light trick and the open drive should give you an indication of what's inside.

Well, I'm declaring my 360's disc drive officially dead. After trying and failing repeatedly getting games and movies to read on the first few tries, it's gone beyond repair. I got super-pissed about it since it's not covered by the warranty and shot off an email to Microsoft, figuring they'd prolly just ignore it, but lo and behold, I got a reply saying they wish to discuss the matter in greater depth. I am officially surprised.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']Well, I'm declaring my 360's disc drive officially dead. After trying and failing repeatedly getting games and movies to read on the first few tries, it's gone beyond repair. I got super-pissed about it since it's not covered by the warranty and shot off an email to Microsoft, figuring they'd prolly just ignore it, but lo and behold, I got a reply saying they wish to discuss the matter in greater depth. I am officially surprised.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, was your console vertically positioned?

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Still no updates on UPS.com :/ I sent it last friday.

Also, it says no repair set up on Xbox.com.[/quote]

Someone jacked your 360 :rofl:

j/k

:p

my or should a say a refurb 360 arrived today, it has a sep 06 date. The drive makes a strange noise on start up and shutting down. Has anyone else experienced this with their refurb's? It was a fast turn around, but I am not happy about getting back a used system that has scratches on it and makes noises that my system did not make.

what are you supposed to look for shinning a flashlight into it?

[quote name='StonedJedi']my or should a say a refurb 360 arrived today, it has a sep 06 date. The drive makes a strange noise on start up and shutting down. Has anyone else experienced this with their refurb's? It was a fast turn around, but I am not happy about getting back a used system that has scratches on it and makes noises that my system did not make.

what are you supposed to look for shinning a flashlight into it?[/quote]

Does yours make that Clank/Verrrt sound when you boot?

The last two refurbs (from Microcenter) made that sound.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Does yours make that Clank/Verrrt sound when you boot?

The last two refurbs (from Microcenter) made that sound.[/QUOTE]

yes, that is what it sounds like. Doesn't make you feel to good about using it. It also makes a sound when turning it off.

[quote name='StonedJedi']yes, that is what it sounds like. Doesn't make you feel to good about using it. It also makes a sound when turning it off.[/quote]

I think that anything made in 2006 makes that sound. I haven't heard anyone else reporting this sound except me and you. It must be the dvd drive.

Just called MS- They said the one coming in on friday is NOT a refurb but a brand new one!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think that anything made in 2006 makes that sound. I haven't heard anyone else reporting this sound except me and you. It must be the dvd drive.

Just called MS- They said the one coming in on friday is NOT a refurb but a brand new one![/QUOTE]

the 360 i sent them was a 2006 unit and did not make these noises. this is what i feared, getting back a drive that has high mileage.

[quote name='StonedJedi']the 360 i sent them was a 2006 unit and did not make these noises. this is what i feared, getting back a drive that has high mileage.[/quote]

I don't think it's a high mileage drive, but a non ben q drive but I forget there is a site that shows pictures of which drive you have.

[quote name='Littlefields']Just out of curiosity, was your console vertically positioned?[/quote]
I tried both positions, but nadda. For the most part, however, it was indeed vertical for much of the time that it was working.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think that anything made in 2006 makes that sound. I haven't heard anyone else reporting this sound except me and you. It must be the dvd drive.

Just called MS- They said the one coming in on friday is NOT a refurb but a brand new one![/quote]

Actually mine does that too. Well, it did for almost a year but now it stopped. It does scratch the cds sometimes though - what a POS! At least the games actually play, but still...

I think we need to overhaul this thread. Maybe the mod or OP can update the first post with some post-RRoD waiting out tips, symptoms that your 360 may be getting close to getting a rrod and so on. This would truly make this a support group instead of "my 360 RRoD today"

Ideas include

-Some funny RRoD Videos including the G4 RRoD Video http://youtube.com/watch?v=xq6vlyNdM3I to cheer us up.

-Tips on how and when to call MS to reach an American and how to deal with outsourcing technical support from India!

-The towel trick video made by cheapyd

-Tips on how to send your 360 to MS faster

and others.

how does this sound?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think we need to overhaul this thread. Maybe the mod or OP can update the first post with some post-RRoD waiting out tips, symptoms that your 360 may be getting close to getting a 360 and so on. This would truly make this a support group instead of "my 360 RRoD today"

Ideas include

-Some funny RRoD Videos including the G4 RRoD Video http://youtube.com/watch?v=xq6vlyNdM3I to cheer us up.

-Tips on how and when to call MS to reach an American and how to deal with outsourcing technical support from India!

-The towel trick video made by cheapyd

-Tips on how to send your 360 to MS faster

and others.

how does this sound?[/quote]

Sounds pretty damn good actually...

So I didn't get the typical red ring of death, but a more apparent hardware failure.

After playing couple games of COD4, I switched over to FIFA 08. In the middle of the game, the entire screen turned to bizarre patterns of pixels in all different colors. I could still hear the sound and the game was responding except, no video. Now, I either get the effed pixels or no video at all from the xbox 360.

Here's my problem....

My xbox 360 is out of warranty (2 yrs) and it's going to cost me about $100 to repair it. I could get it repaired or buy an arcade model with the replacement plan from best buy since I already have my 20gb hdd.

Should I send it for repair now and risk having it fail again which will cost me another $100? or Should I pick up a arcade model now or is there any price drops or revisions coming soon?

Are there any improvements in hardware for the arcade model? Any failures yet?

I will gladly accept any comments or suggestions. thanks!

Scribble fake signatures on your console and complain when they're wiped off when Microsoft repairs it, netting you bank in free stuff.

Worked for a Brittish kid.

I have a new elite. Most painless exchange ever. I love best buys product replacement. New controller, headset, and power supply. This elite seems whisper quiet too. manufacturer date 1/28/08. Was the latest one I could find. They also told me my product replacement was still good because my xbox is still under 1 year warranty? but I think they may be mistaken. I didn't care to really check that out since it was a new bestbuy that opened less than 10 mins away from me, but I think they just swapped out my receipt and replacement for todays date /boggle :D

The guys from Geek Squad noticed me swapping the Elite, they were all surprised it broke so soon. only had it since Aug 07, and I don't even play it hardcore.

Just called MS- They said the one coming in on friday is NOT a refurb but a brand new one![/QUOTE]

I got told that they repaired my console (number 3 RRoD, original launch unit), then when I received the box it was a brand new system (3/8/08).

Who knows...

My 360 is still functioning fine, but the drive has started to make a loud, obnoxious buzzing (above and beyond the normal loud hum). I usually play in the living room with headphones while my wife reads or studies, and it's driving her nuts. It's driving me nuts, too, but I can live with it. :) So I'm still in the first year of purchase. Will MS let me send it in just for this problem or do I have to let it keep doing this until the inevitable red ring?

are there any issues with the Arcade model??

my 360 died and I'm thinking of just picking that up instead of repairing it.

[quote name='_Sin_']I have a new elite. Most painless exchange ever. I love best buys product replacement. New controller, headset, and power supply. This elite seems whisper quiet too. manufacturer date 1/28/08. Was the latest one I could find. They also told me my product replacement was still good because my xbox is still under 1 year warranty? but I think they may be mistaken. I didn't care to really check that out since it was a new bestbuy that opened less than 10 mins away from me, but I think they just swapped out my receipt and replacement for todays date /boggle :D

The guys from Geek Squad noticed me swapping the Elite, they were all surprised it broke so soon. only had it since Aug 07, and I don't even play it hardcore.[/QUOTE]

Since your product was replaced within 1 yr, your PRP is still valid. Otherwise, you would have had to pay for another PRP after the exchange.

I called microsoft and they are sending me another coffin. This time they want me to send the power supply back as well. I hope this means that I will receive a new 360 back. The one they sent me just makes to many strange noises to keep. You pay 400$ for a new machine and they send you back a used POS. I am also going to recieve yet another 1 month live card as well as pgr3. what sports they are giving me a bargain bin launch game.

if we pay $100 to get it repaired, do we get any kind of warranty on the fixed console at all? If the refurb xbox breaks independent of the RRoD, does the consumer dish out another $100 for a fix?

[quote name='bkforyou']if we pay $100 to get it repaired, do we get any kind of warranty on the fixed console at all? If the refurb xbox breaks independent of the RRoD, does the consumer dish out another $100 for a fix?[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his 360, they wanted 100$ to fix it. He managed to negotiate the fee down to 25-30$ which is around the price of a warranty. You should try and get them to reduce the fee.

[quote name='StonedJedi']A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his 360, they wanted 100$ to fix it. He managed to negotiate the fee down to 25-30$ which is around the price of a warranty. You should try and get them to reduce the fee.[/QUOTE]

Do you think the price of the first repair is negotiable? I mean, RRoD indicates a hardware failure and mine is an obvious hardware failure where the GPU seems to have failed. (array of different colored pixels fill the entire screen / no video output at all).

Call them and complain. It's stupid that they act like ass-holes when you support them with your money. If I get junk back, I'm gonna call everyday if I have to, until I'm satisfied, sure, it takes some time, but it's principle also. I didn't spend all that money on an elite + Games to end up with some scratched junk.

i just called microsoft's escalated line they all speak english.

They said if I pay the $99 to repair the console now, there will be a new warranty issued the on the repaired xbox for one year.

That's probably better to go with than purchasing a whole new console unless that new warranty has a disclaimer that pwns you.

[quote name='bkforyou']i just called microsoft's escalated line they all speak english.

They said if I pay the $99 to repair the console now, there will be a new warranty issued the on the repaired xbox for one year.

That's probably better to go with than purchasing a whole new console unless that new warranty has a disclaimer that pwns you.[/quote]

Why buy a new one, if it's gonna happen again sooner or later.

Hmm, after talking to a customer service rep, I didn't get what I wanted in the way of a free repair (because honestly, the drive failing after only a year of use is absolutely inexcusable), but I got the door prize of half off if I send it in. Ah well; I'll just send it in to be repaired under the Overstock warranty I got. Nuts. I hate having third-party people repairing my system, but there's little I can do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back